Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Brahm
*an automated reminder for the slow kid* pumpkin.gif
James McMurray
*yawn*
mfb
a non-automated reminder for the guy who doesn't know what 'automated' means
lern2define, Brahm. that said, Brahm's suggestions make sense to me.

edit: and lern2bbcode, mfb
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Edward)
Lagomorph. Street is actually nothing. You eat out of the trash, you sleep wherever you can get a space and your security is whatever personal weapons your carrying (not included in lifestyle cost), sounds like how stray animals live to me.

Similar but different I'd say, a bum with a street lifestyle still has items which could be considered of value. Even if they only have rags, they have possesions. An animal won't have that.

My other reason for shifting the numbering up by one was that all other stats in the game start at 1, and it doesn't make sense to have one stat start at 0 when no others do.
Brahm
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 17 2006, 03:39 PM)
a non-automated reminder for the guy who doesn't know what 'automated' means
lern2define, Brahm. that said, Brahm's suggestions make sense to me.

B lerning that there ironish humour stuff 2 k? ;P
edit: and lern2bbcode, mfb

Ok, maybe you know humour since you can be funny. Maybe recognition is the issue? wink.gif

EDIT: Here, to help out I'll put in the closest approximation of a mechanical smilie there is on this board. The cyber.gif doesn't really work because that's like a person with a little bit of chrome, so we'll have to go veggie-automated. Like Veggi Tales, but with less scripture.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Jul 17 2006, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (Edward @ Jul 15 2006, 05:11 AM)
Lagomorph. Street is actually nothing. You eat out of the trash, you sleep wherever you can get a space and your security is whatever personal weapons your carrying (not included in lifestyle cost), sounds like how stray animals live to me.

Similar but different I'd say, a bum with a street lifestyle still has items which could be considered of value. Even if they only have rags, they have possesions. An animal won't have that.

My other reason for shifting the numbering up by one was that all other stats in the game start at 1, and it doesn't make sense to have one stat start at 0 when no others do.

The funny part about Street is that there isn't anything saying that spending nothing to get Street doesn't still pay for your ability to do the offshore banking, the cost of which is suppose to be included in Lifestyle. But that's really part of the larger issue of a current lack of resolution mechanics for Lifestyle to differentiate between them.

I suppose there is only so much you can cram into 350+ pages. Perhaps that is something that is planned for a supplement book.
Rotbart van Dainig
Personally, the concept of rating Wealth 1 (street) to 6 (luxury) sounds fine to me - 0 would be the total inability to trade.
It should work fine if the focus is more on storytelling anyway.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 17 2006, 10:51 PM)
Personally, the concept of rating Wealth 1 (street) to 6 (luxury) sounds fine to me - 0 would be the total inability to trade.

My point exactly, but I think the mechanic they have right now will work fine also. I just like to see symmetry in stats.

@Plasmaphobic (there now filled in)
Honestly, I think any system will work for your group, it seems so tight knit that you could probably get away with out any rules for it.
James McMurray
Just be careful about raising the stat. It doesn't really matter how you let it be raised (karma, RP, RP + karms, or whatever) as long as it's consistent and not too rapid. If you can get to rating 6 after ten runs you may find a lot of characters retiring early. smile.gif
GrinderTheTroll
Interesting concept.

I think it might be hard to only have 6 ratings, why not consider 1-12 like Magic/Resonnance attributes? You'd have an equivilant lifestyle = Wealth Rating /2. This could slow down the quick progression of a 1-6 Rating.
Brahm
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jul 17 2006, 10:51 PM)

My point exactly, but I think the mechanic they have right now will work fine also. I just like to see symmetry in stats.

I agree with that. If you are going to call it an Attribute you might as well largely treat it like an Attribute. At least no more deviation than with those other special Attributes, Magic and Resonance.
@Plasmaphobic (there now filled in)
Honestly, I think any system will work for your group, it seems so tight knit that you could probably get away with out any rules for it.

I get the impression that the group is likely so used to using a system like he described that they already are going to have a fairly close common understanding of the rules. Because there are always rules, even if you don't write them down.
Brahm
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jul 17 2006, 06:57 PM)
Interesting concept.

I think it might be hard to only have 6 ratings, why not consider 1-12 like Magic/Resonnance attributes?  You'd have an equivilant lifestyle = Wealth Rating /2.  This could slow down the quick progression of a 1-6 Rating.

I had the thought that maybe, to try tie in Fake SINs, that you'd establish a limit of 1 SIN, real or fake, per Lifestyle. Then allow them to split the Resource points you currently have among multiple Lifestyles. So someone with Resource 4 could have 1 Middle, or 1 Low with 1 Street, or 2 Squatters.

Another germ of a thought is some sort of limit on the quality of the Fake SIN based on Lifestyle, but I'm not sure about good numbers for that yet because by RAW anything below about Fake SIN 4 is a liability rather than an asset. frown.gif The way I'd favour addressing that is changing the Fake SIN rating into a Threshold, but that really starts to sprawl the houserule out.
TBRMInsanity
This idea is simular to the modern D20 idea of a resources skill. I like the idea as it streamlines the purchase part of character creation. I think that there should be wealth skill rather than attribute and base it off of Edge.
Edward
I still don’t see how your going to still a story about a bunch of mercenary criminals without making a significant thing about money. if they don’t have to work for every nuyen and worry about weather they can afford the new focus or bit of cyber wear then there not going to behave like mercenary criminals and for the most part (excepting variant campaigns) mercenary criminals is a large part of what shadow runners are supposed to be. Even when they have other goals as well.

If you are going to have a wealth attribute may I suggest that it /not/ be the same as other attributes, at least in that you don’t raise it with karma in eth same way, you raise it buy earning money.

Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
The way I'd favour addressing that is changing the Fake SIN rating into a Threshold, but that really starts to sprawl the houserule out.

That's how I run it, anyway, as this is the only way it works.
Brahm
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Brahm @ Jul 18 2006, 02:05 AM)
The way I'd favour addressing that is changing the Fake SIN rating into a Threshold, but that really starts to sprawl the houserule out.

That's how I run it, anyway, as this is the only way it works.

I hear ya.
James McMurray
I think once you've hit the "let's get rid of money" house rule, one more tiny change to fake SINs won't be a big deal. smile.gif
Brahm
James McMurray
Ah yes, the typical "I'm still a moron" response. *yaaaaawn*
Brahm
James McMurray
If you type it, it isn't automated... still...

And no, I don't buy the Pee Wee Herman-esque "I meant to do that" excuse you gave earlier.

By the way, haven't you realized yet your complete and utter powerlessness in this situation? Telling people to bugger off in a place where you have no control is an excercise in futility. It's really kinda sad. I feel sorry for you.
Brahm
CradleWorm
I'm not sure if this idea was presented or not, but here it goes...

For an abstract system I think wealth can only be one part of the equation. The other part has to be availability. Fortunately there are somewhat abstract rules there already.

Now as far as wealth goes, one of the things that makes Shadowrun a great, game in my mind, is the gritty nature of the world around Shadowrunners. They don't have retirement accounts, savings accounts, or SINs for that matter. Getting gear should be difficult to do.

After all, would a wealthy Shadowrunner really risk it all for a few thousand nuyen more or would he retire on some small island full of native girls?

When you do use an abstract system, consider seriously that the Wealth attribute must be able to move up and down quickly. Shadowrun is often about making that big score, living high on the hog for a while, and when the money dries up scrambling for another job.

I would leave much of the ability to get gear in the hands of lady luck, to help represent the nature of the streets. I would also modify things by the availability rating in the book. So even if your character has enough cash to get that panther cannon, perhaps he can't find one.

So this has all been very generic and I didn't present any real numbers to work off of, but just use the basic system for rolling dice and come up with some kind of edge to base it off of. Throw in the Negotiation and Etiquette skills somehow to locate and purchase gear and your all set.
James McMurray
I agree completely. In my experience runner resources fluctuate wildly, especially if they've got some flaws that draw on it (like addictions). A wealth system needs to be able to mimic that to some extent.

There are some game types where a resource based economy would work wonders. Any campaign where the group works for a corporation, government, or other organization is a good place for it. Instead of representing personal finances the wealth system then represents how friendly you are with the supply secretary, your ability to shmooze a few extra requisition forms out of your CO, or a few favors owed to you by Ralphie the gun merchant.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Brahm)
*an automated reminder for the slow kid*

We don't know why you are so fascinated by anal intercourse, Brahm - and we certainly don't want to.
eidolon
I'm beginning to wonder about the ages (or maybe, mental ages) of some DSers.

The idea of separating wealth and money-tracking from the game has plenty of merit. I personally think that if you're going to do it, there's next to no need for a mechanic to back it up. Just role play stuff like major acquisitions, and when the PC needs a few extra magazines for his Predator and he lives in a middle lifestyle and is part of a fairly successful team, just give them to him.

I don't know. To me, the idea of not tracking nuyen for story reasons pretty much excludes there being rules for it by its very nature.
Brahm
QUOTE (CradleWorm @ Jul 19 2006, 10:58 AM)
Now as far as wealth goes, one of the things that makes Shadowrun a great, game in my mind, is the gritty nature of the world around Shadowrunners. They don't have retirement accounts, savings accounts, or SINs for that matter. Getting gear should be difficult to do.

Curiously, the book describes all Shadowrunners as having a savings account.
After all, would a wealthy Shadowrunner really risk it all for a few thousand nuyen more or would he retire on some small island full of native girls?

There are thrill seekers that are simply hooked on being beyond the law, like Henry Hill of Goodfellas fame/infamy. Then there are people that have goals that can only be realistically achieved in the shadows, or they are force into the shadows because of situations. But what you say is definately true of runners that are in the shadows just as a different way to fatten up their bank account, which is what I'm saying. Money as a motivation sucks unless you are cool with a dungeon crawl for loot type of game. Not that I'm saying that people can't possibly like such a game, but you shouldn't be surprised when you end up there.
When you do use an abstract system, consider seriously that the Wealth attribute must be able to move up and down quickly. Shadowrun is often about making that big score, living high on the hog for a while, and when the money dries up scrambling for another job.

I would leave much of the ability to get gear in the hands of lady luck, to help represent the nature of the streets.

That's something I consciously tried to work in. If you roll bad trying to buy something you can effectively be broke until you can get paid again. Now technically you can just sit there and not worry about your Lifestyle. But the idea is is that the GM is providing somewhat more active encouragement through enemies and such.

Plus just surviving isn't living. If the player doesn't want to try make their character live then WTF are they doing at the gaming table?
So this has all been very generic and I didn't present any real numbers to work off of, but just use the basic system for rolling dice and come up with some kind of edge to base it off of. Throw in the Negotiation and Etiquette skills somehow to locate and purchase gear and your all set.

I hear you about melding the two systems, Avail and purchasing. Like you read my mind. smile.gif I dislike the 2-stage approach of unconnected systems. But I'm really kind of at a loss at this point on how to go about linking or combining the two. I don't want to have situations where Avail type problems with a particular item automatically lead to you being broke.

In some ways what I don't like about the Avail is the Extended Test nature of it. Or at least Extended Tests without roll limits, which is maybe what is really bugging me about it all. question.gif So there just needs to be a bit smoother link from Avail to getting the cash together?
James McMurray
I can agree on disliking the unlimited extended tests. The way it's set up now unless your GM invokes the optional rules you can always get your hands on an availability 365 tactical nuke. It might take you quite a while, but it'll eventually happen as long as you have enough dice and edge to ensure you don't get a critical glitch.

That can easily be handled with the GM making judgement calls on what is and isn't available, which works great in home games, but can cause major hassles if you get the wrong guy in an online or convention game.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I can agree on disliking the unlimited extended tests. The way it's set up now unless your GM invokes the optional rules you can always get your hands on an availability 365 tactical nuke. It might take you quite a while, but it'll eventually happen as long as you have enough dice and edge to ensure you don't get a critical glitch.

That can easily be handled with the GM making judgement calls on what is and isn't available, which works great in home games, but can cause major hassles if you get the wrong guy in an online or convention game.

Let him have his nuke... and the various megacorps, governments, pirates, and organized crime families that want it too.
Brahm
QUOTE (eidolon @ Jul 19 2006, 12:44 PM)
I'm beginning to wonder about the ages  (or maybe, mental ages) of some DSers.

Me too. That's why I flipped on the automated response to him. nyahnyah.gif Just trying to keep him from killing the thread again. Only time will tell if it'll succeed. smile.gif
I don't know.  To me, the idea of not tracking nuyen for story reasons pretty much excludes there being rules for it by its very nature.

There are always rules. You just made one up. Problem is it only covers Middle Lifestyle, and it doesn't address other items.
QUOTE (A Rule by eidolon)
and when the PC needs a few extra magazines for his Predator and he lives in a middle lifestyle and is part of a fairly successful team, just give them to him.

It is just a matter of whether or not they are written down. If they aren't written down then everyone at the table needs a very close copy in their head or confusion during the game ensues and either the game starts to bog as the collective understanding of the rules get straightened out or the players sit and scratch their head because they can't effectively communicate or plan their character's actions because they don't know what the hell is going and are unable to reliably predict cause-effect in the game world.
James McMurray
LOL The "I'll be consciously ignorant of the fact that comments are directed at me." You're really pulling out the cliches now aren't you.

---

In my experience you need either

1) Lots of trust between GM and players or
2) Well defined house rules

Obviously #1 is best, as you can just decide on the fly what the characters can and can't buy. #2 is the more common situation.

Even in groups where the GM is trusted, having rules to look at gives a player a feeling of control over his own destiny. If he has a wealth attribute or a nuyen amount on his sheet he knows that he can call up his fixer and buy certain items (some of which may take a while to procure). Without that he has to rely on the GM's judgement every time he buys something, and even if the GM's judgement is great, it still pulls a little control out of the player's hands. Some players handle that better than others.
James McMurray
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Let him have his nuke... and the various megacorps, governments, pirates, and organized crime families that want it too.

Generally if they're looking for a nuke they'll be wanting to set it off. All they have to do is manage that before they get tracked down by the rest of them. smile.gif Of course, then they get to contend with the people that don't like nukes being set off. eek.gif

Nuke is just a crazy example, the availability rules make a ton of other things possible, and can ruin a game if they're used in a way inconsistent with the theme of the campaign. For example, street level gangers finding restricted military gear can totally rewrite a game's dynamic. While it's possible to interject roleplaying downsides to everything that doesn't fit the campaign's premise, it's easier and much more conducive to a flowing story if the things just aren't available.
PBTHHHHT
Geez Brahm, you've already stated your point about ignoring James. You really don't have to persist in putting up your linky posts for James to bugger/piss/whatever else off since it's started to get a bit annoying also. Let James do his post since it's an open board and he's trying to be on topic. Just ignore him (and don't read his posts) and go about answering everyone else's posts.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Brahm)
*an automated reminder for the slow kid (now urine-centric for Rotbart's reading pleasure!) * pumpkin.gif

Are you by any chance a cartoonist?
Brahm
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Geez Brahm, you've already stated your point about ignoring James.

Sure you have gotten the point. Lots of people here have gotten the point. But it seems James needs lots of reps for him to assimilate things, even the simple ones apparently. Which is what the problem was to start with.
James McMurray
Assimilate what? That you want me out of this thread? Have no fear, I understand completely and just don't care.
GrinderTheTroll
Sorry if I've missed this point entirely this topic is new to me.

You could technically convert all run payments into Karma (~5k = 1 Karma). That would let you make meaningful negotiations, increase the time/chance of scoring gear by spending your Karma on top of having unlimited bribe/influence capabilities. Otherwise is seems you'd need to provide some cap what each ranking of Wealth permits.

It's actually piqued my interest more than I initially thought it would.
James McMurray
Nope, not a cartoonist. Or at least not a good one. Those guys usually have some humor. rotfl.gif

----

Grinder: The 5k to one karma sounds a lot like cash for karma. Is that the ratio that rule used in SR3?

It could definitely work, but some people are wanting to use wealth ratings to avoid games where money is the primary concern. Switching money for runs to karma for runs might make those games focus on "run for karma, get karma, spend karma, run again" to paraphrase an easrlier poster.

I think the general idea is to have a system that focuses more on storytelling for those groups to whom having money written on their sheet detracts from that.
James McMurray
There. I sigged it for you. Now every time I post you get the pleasure of having me say something to you. In the meantime, perhaps you'd like to contribute something useful to the thread, or did you miss your nappy and you're too cranky now? rotfl.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jul 19 2006, 03:46 PM)
Sorry if I've missed this point entirely this topic is new to me.

No problem. Here, I'll give you the brief rundown of where I'm looking so far. I really need to get this into a one-pager and posted up somewhere.

You have Resource attribute which does three things:
1) Determines the level of your Lifestyle(s).
2) Allows you to roll Resource + Logic to see if you have some item on you, or in one of your Lifestyle locations, that isn't explicitly on your inventory sheet. Threshold is determined by the item's cost and obscurity. A Knowledge skill appropriate to the item might come into play here as an alternative to Logic, or maybe even just extra dice.
3) Roll (Resource * 2) + Negotiations dice against a Threshold that corrosponds to where the item price matches up to a logarithmic progresion of nuyen values. Because the scale is log based you can use modifiers to the Threshold or dice pool to approximate percentage modifiers to the price like availability or legality.

When using Resource for #3 you build up penalties to future uses of #3. If you succeed at the roll a 1 die penalty. If you fail a die penalty the size of which you missed the Threshold by. When you do a run you remove some or all of that penalty. You can also recieve a one-time use bonus on a use of #3 as payment from the run. I'm not giving all the details here, but that is the core of it.

Rule of 4 dice could also be used for #3, although looking at it just using Resource as a number of automatic hits instead of rolling would work well. You still get the -1 die penalty though, and that penalty also counts directly againts the value of Resource if you are using Resource for the automatic hits to buy.

A few other things too, but that's the gist of it so far.
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray)
There. I sigged it for you. Now every time I post you get the pleasure of having me say something to you. In the meantime, perhaps you'd like to contribute something useful to the thread, or did you miss your nappy and you're too cranky now? rotfl.gif
Brahm
See PBTHHHHT? Repetition after repetition and he still is so thick that he keeps trying to talk to me? It's like in all his posting with Cain that stone in a bucket of water quality of Cain's rubbed off on him. He learns like dirt. dead.gif
James McMurray
I definitely like #2, it's the primary reason I started the thread which spawned this one: being able to have gear on you that isn't written down. I'd definitely tie knowledge skills in, as they represent the reasoning behind that character having the item. i.e. "I have knowledge (breaking and entering) 4, doesn't it make sense that the character would have thought to buy a pair of wire clippers?"
James McMurray
See PBTHHHHT? Repetition after repetition and he still doesn't realize he has no power over me. (or in fact anyone here). It's like in all his posting with Cain that stone in a bucket of water quality rubbed off on him. He learns like dirt.

Such a sad little man. I pity you and the world you live in that drove you to such madness. rotfl.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 19 2006, 01:26 PM)

Generally if they're looking for a nuke they'll be wanting to set it off. All they have to do is manage that before they get tracked down by the rest of them. smile.gif Of course, then they get to contend with the people that don't like nukes being set off. eek.gif

Nuke is just a crazy example, the availability rules make a ton of other things possible, and can ruin a game if they're used in a way inconsistent with the theme of the campaign. For example, street level gangers finding restricted military gear can totally rewrite a game's dynamic. While it's possible to interject roleplaying downsides to everything that doesn't fit the campaign's premise, it's easier and much more conducive to a flowing story if the things just aren't available.

While you are right that it is more simple to make something plainly unavailable, if you've got someone who is persistant, I say let them have it... but leave some strings attached to it. You saw the Jackal right? He orders a high powered automatic weapon (and I believe even so far as uranium depleted shells) but he had to contend with some pirates that had gotten wind of the shipment.

here you go little ganger, here's your *blank*... oh an a dozen or so mobsters with fully loaded automatic weapons coming your way. Next time get a more reliable contact.
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray)
See PBTHHHHT? Repetition after repetition and he still doesn't realize he has no power over me. (or in fact anyone here). It's like in all his posting with Cain that stone in a bucket of water quality rubbed off on him. He learns like dirt.

Such a sad little man. I pity you and the world you live in that drove you to such madness. rotfl.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Brahm)
Me too. That's why I flipped on the automated response to him. nyahnyah.gif Just trying to keep him from killing the thread again. Only time will tell if it'll succeed. smile.gif

No. You're one of the ones to be wondered about, actually. The fact is, if you're going to acknowledge the fact that your writing is disjointed and scattered all over the place, you can't really (with any credibility) tell someone that they're a moron for not following right along perfectly. Also, it's a fair sign that a "discussion" is over and has no point in continuing when one party gives up and resorts to simply insulting the other. Communication is an exchange of ideas. If you can't properly communicate your system of ideas to another person (who, by all evidence, is quite capable of understaning it, as he has contributed his own system of ideas here and there), then you have failed to communicate. Simple stuff.

I'd love to see all of your thoughts and notes and mechanics for this. In one place and coherent, though. Same for anyone else that has one.

As to your comment on my "middle lifestyle rule", that's hardly a rule. I was offering an example of something that might come up in play that would be easily adjudicated based on the game at hand, without needing to spend time writing, perfecting, and resorting to rules. You can nitpick the semantics of it all day to make it appear that it is a rule, but you'd be wasting your time. (Nobody's stopping you though, so knock yourself out.)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012