Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Main Problem with SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Union Jane
Used to be, I'd meet some dodgy NPC and realise straightaway that he was easy meat. After all, he was only rolling a single die for initiative, right? And here I was, tossing out three at a time. I was bound to gun him down before he ever got off a shot.

Well, sometimes that wasn't true. More than once, I'd watch in horror as my GM rolled the goon's initiative . . . and that d6 would roll a 6, and then another 6, and before I knew it, I had a serious fight on my well-manicured hands.

These days there are no surprises. I know exactly how many times I'm going to act each round, and when I gauge an NPC to be a zero threat, I no longer fear that he'll end up with more actions than me. Where's the fun in that?

Sigh.

With every target number a 5, gone are the days when I clung to a prayer that I could somehow hit that target-number 17 on two small dice. I liked that suspense. Everybody always had a shot, no matter how distant. The exploding d6 added an element to the game that I dearly miss.
Moon-Hawk
IIRC, the rule of six didn't apply to initiative tests, but that doesn't invalidate your point.
The longshot test as a means of resolving very difficult actions seems to be one of the more dissatisfying parts of SR4, just judging by the noise on this forum.
Butterblume
On the other hand, that old lady with her holdout pistol can seriously wound you, so I think it's a fair trade.

In SR3, I also knew how often my char could act, if she wasn't wounded (Initiative 10+1W6).
Demon_Bob
Don't forget NPCs can spend edge to go first as well.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
IIRC, the rule of six didn't apply to initiative tests, but that doesn't invalidate your point.

Lightning Reflexes allowed it, but only if you spent too many points and crippled your character in six other ways.

~J
Moon-Hawk
Do you tell the PCs if an NPC is doing this? Do they have a chance to "match" the little old lady by spending their own edge, or does she just get to go first? i.e.:
GM: The little old lady is spending edge to go first.
Player: Screw that. I spend edge too!
-or-
Player: Heh, heh, Little old lady. This'll be easy.
GM: Roll initiative. She beats you.
Player: Wha?
GM: She spent edge. She shoots you. Ha-ha!
Player: Bummer.
Butterblume
In my case, I don't use edge for most NPCs. Only the special ones, aka the bad bosses or the good guys, like connections.

Edit: Good and bad is here solely used to describe allies or enemies biggrin.gif.
CradleWorm
The long shot test as a means of resolving very difficult actions seems to be one of the more dissatisfying parts of SR4, just judging by the noise on this forum.

Note, the the rule of six does not apply to the Long Shot test either.

Also, since your only rolling your Edge in dice, which would give you at most 8 (for lucky humans) I don't think you can complete any "very difficult" tasks. On average you'll only roll 2 2/3's hits on 8 dice. If your task is "very difficult" the threshold will higher then two.
Moon-Hawk
Well sure, but it's still possible as long as the threshold is less than or equal to your edge. Rolling 6 dice against a threshold of 4 can still provide that tense moment that Union Jane is looking for, I think.
Union Jane
Moon-Hawk: Nice sig. Hile Roland.

I do like many changes in SR4. It seems like the rules are more universal for different situations, thus requiring less study on my part as the system as a whole is easier to learn.

But all target numbers the same? Bah, what's the fun in that? Isn't there some way I can keep my old target-number system and exploding 6s whilst still playing with large chunks of the SR4 rules?
Moon-Hawk
Thanks. Unfortunately, I have to edit the middle line of my sig because it's just over the character limit. Oh well.
It seems like there are a number of people who want a "compromise system" between SR3 and SR4. Some are trying to incorporate all the SR4 stuff they like into SR3 rules, and some are trying to house-rule SR4 to be more like SR3. It seems like a TN bonus/penalty in SR3 is roughly comparable to a dice pool penalty/bonus in SR4, but I think you'll find that anyway you come at the problem, it gets ugly quickly.
booklord
Personally I don't allow the use of edge to go first in an initiative pass.

IMHO edge should only be used to increase the chance of success. It should never provide instant, outright success.

Now if you like exploding dice just have all dice treated as exploding all the time. (Edge or no edge) Spice things up a little. I've experimented with this. It does add a little more chance to the rolls, but on the flip side it slightly slows down game play.
Union Jane
QUOTE (booklord)
Now if you like exploding dice just have all dice treated as exploding all the time. (Edge or no edge) Spice things up a little. I've experimented with this. It does add a little more chance to the rolls, but on the flip side it slightly slows down game play.

Example?
stevebugge
QUOTE (Union Jane @ Jul 24 2006, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (booklord @ Jul 24 2006, 01:42 PM)
Now if you like exploding dice just have all dice treated as exploding all the time.   (Edge or no edge)   Spice things up a little.    I've experimented with this.   It does add a little more chance to the rolls, but on the flip side it slightly slows down game play.

Example?

It depends on your players a bit, but I have had players who take a long time to physically complete the act of shaking and throwing dice, and rerolling every six just adds to it. Also separating the hits and misses can slow some players down, though if you use Aaron's Color Coded Dice Scheme much of that problem is eliminated.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (stevebugge)
Now if you like exploding dice just have all dice treated as exploding all the time.  (Edge or no edge)  Spice things up a little.    I've experimented with this.  It does add a little more chance to the rolls, but on the flip side it slightly slows down game play.

Example?

It depends on your players a bit, but I have had players who take a long time to physically complete the act of shaking and throwing dice, and rerolling every six just adds to it. Also separating the hits and misses can slow some players down, though if you use Aaron's Color Coded Dice Scheme much of that problem is eliminated.

Interesting item to note here, if you have the HeroScape board game (go go miniatures!) then the blue dice used for defense mark 2 of the 6 sides with shields which works well with none-edge rolls in SR4.

I've considered painted 5's and 6's, but it looks like someone beat me to it. wink.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jul 24 2006, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 24 2006, 11:57 AM)
Now if you like exploding dice just have all dice treated as exploding all the time.   (Edge or no edge)   Spice things up a little.    I've experimented with this.   It does add a little more chance to the rolls, but on the flip side it slightly slows down game play.

Example?

Interesting item to note here, if you have the HeroScape board game (go go miniatures!) then the blue dice used for defense mark 2 of the 6 sides with shields which works well with none-edge rolls in SR4.

I've considered painted 5's and 6's, but it looks like someone beat me to it. wink.gif

The color coded dice work pretty well. When I first saw the idea I thought it was kind of cheesey but my inner MythBuster got the better of me so I went out and got some cheap dice and some sharpies. Needless to say I've been pretty pleased with the results. One thing I might add to Aaron's original system is a color for the 6 to speed the recognition of potential exploding dice.
Geekkake
As I've said before, allowing Long Shot tests to explode mitigates the situation to a certain extent. That fixes the SR4 equivalent to TN 17 tension so that, no matter how high the Threshold, no matter how many dice are removed from your pool, your unlucky Ork can still throw his one Edge die and conceivably, in some distant eigenstate, pwn the ever-loving Hell out of a panzer with one punch.
Union Jane
QUOTE (Geekkake)
As I've said before, allowing Long Shot tests to explode mitigates the situation to a certain extent. That fixes the SR4 equivalent to TN 17 tension so that, no matter how high the Threshold, no matter how many dice are removed from your pool, your unlucky Ork can still throw his one Edge die and conceivably, in some distant eigenstate, pwn the ever-loving Hell out of a panzer with one punch.

Sounds good to me. Think I'll toss this idea into the mix!
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
The longshot test as a means of resolving very difficult actions seems to be one of the more dissatisfying parts of SR4, just judging by the noise on this forum.

...actually in the old SRC there was an Edge, which I think was called "Lightning Reflexes" or something like that. It allowed for the Rule Of 6 on initiative tests but only for characters who did not have any initiative boosting (via either implants, spell, or adept powers).
Brahm
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jul 24 2006, 02:24 PM)

I've got a set of sixteen custom SR4 [EDIT: 16mm] dice built from blank white d6 dice. They are engraved with a Dremel and then enamelled in the engraving, not just colored. Each die was first marked 1-6 with a pencil and checked for balance. The sides to engrave were then selected based on that give close to theoretical odds, in some cases closer than in their factory condition.

The hit sides are marked 'X', for the exploding side, and '/' and colored with the same green enamel used to simmulate green lights on model railroads layouts (translucent and shiny, has sort of the appearace of glowing). Two sides are left blank, one side is engraved with an 'O' and one with a single small pip in the middle. The 'O' and the pip are filled with a metalic purple that was created with a 5:1 mix of a metalic red and metalic blue, because purple is hard to find and metalic purple I was unable to find.

I like how the hits/glitches stick out. I nixed the idea of just using a permanent marker on them since that tends to rub off fairly quickly with handling. I am considering also colouring the sides with permanent markers to further speed hits/glitch recognition. Haven't decided yet.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Brahm)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Jul 24 2006, 02:24 PM)

I've got a set of sixteen custom SR4 25mm dice built from blank white d6 dice. They are engraved with a Dremel and then enamelled in the engraving, not just colored. Each die was first marked 1-6 with a pencil and checked for balance. The sides to engrave were then selected based on that give close to theoretical odds, in some cases closer than in their factory condition.

The hit sides are marked 'X', for the exploding side, and '/' and colored with the same green enamel used to simmulate green lights on model railroads layouts (translucent and shiny, has sort of the appearace of glowing). Two sides are left blank, one side is engraved with an 'O' and one with a single small pip in the middle. The 'O' and the pip are filled with a metalic purple that was created with a 5:1 mix of a metalic red and metalic blue, because purple is hard to find and metalic purple I was unable to find.

I like how the hits/glitches stick out. I nixed the idea of just using a permanent marker on them since that tends to rub off fairly quickly with handling. I am considering also colouring the sides with permanent markers to further speed hits/glitch recognition. Haven't decided yet.

Pimp my dice! eek.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (Brahm)
I've got a set of sixteen custom SR4 25mm dice...

You oughta offer sets for sale.
Aaron
QUOTE (Brahm)
I've got a set of sixteen custom SR4 25mm dice built from blank white d6 dice. They are engraved with a Dremel and then enamelled in the engraving, not just colored. Each die was first marked 1-6 with a pencil and checked for balance. The sides to engrave were then selected based on that give close to theoretical odds, in some cases closer than in their factory condition.

Good grief.

I think I owe you thanks. I used to think that the prep I did on my dice (seen here) was a bit obsessive. I don't think that any more.

Do post pics, if you can.
Brahm
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jul 25 2006, 12:37 PM)
Good grief.

I think I owe you thanks. I used to think that the prep I did on my dice (seen here) was a bit obsessive. I don't think that any more.

You are welcome? rotfl.gif I'll see if I can snap a couple of pictures and put it up on Flickr or something. The biggest chunk of time was lining up and buying the materials, picking the design, and setup time. You'll see included in the set is one prototype die that seemed to require too much material removal to roll proper afterward. I haven't tested it after adding paint though, so it might be OK now. I was also concerned about the enamel chipping out of the engravings on that prototype easily as they are very wide compared to what I finally used.

Once I got down to the task of building them the time to do it wasn't that much, maybe 15 minutes tops per die including rolling. I just rolled the die till it came up with at least 25 hits on each side and compared the totals. I was amazed how far off from theoretical some of the dice were. A couple that scored way off I rolled for another 25+ and it came up with similar results, so it wasn't just a statistical anomoly. If I was really insistant about perfection though I should have taken it out to more rolls than that. I don't have a T table handy, but I don't think 150 rolls minimum is all that precise.

It might take a while for the pictures, the rechargable battery for my camera isn't right now. frown.gif So I'll need to find my wife's digital. I'll make sure to include in it the picture for the stencil I made for the 'O' using the base of a dice container, everything else I just freehanded with a pencil and then a Dremel, and I'm NOT any sort of art & craft inclined person.

P.S. If I had any good sense about it I would have just done what you did. wink.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (Brahm)
The hit sides are marked 'X', for the exploding side, and '/' and colored with the same green enamel used to simmulate green lights on model railroads layouts (translucent and shiny, has sort of the appearace of glowing). Two sides are left blank, one side is engraved with an 'O' and one with a single small pip in the middle.

Alright, at the risk of sounding dumber than usual ...

X = 6
/ = 5
. = 1

O = ?

I'm not sure why you have only have 2 blank sides instead of 3.
James McMurray
I read it as the O and . are on the same side. But rereading it, I'm not sure that's what it says.
Method
I was thinking the pip was opposite the O side to offset the weight lost when the O was engraved...
McGravin
Brahm, where do you find your blank d6's?

I just looked on the Chessex website, and they offer blanks, as well as "Shadowrun® d6" but with no picture or description.
Brahm
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Jul 25 2006, 04:06 PM)
Alright, at the risk of sounding dumber than usual ...

X = 6
/ = 5
. = 1

O = ?

I'm not sure why you have only have 2 blank sides instead of 3.

No, 'O' is the 1. The single pip is for the '2', which gets used for determining Glitches on rushed Extended Tests. I don't think I've ever seen the rule used because it is fairly obscure. I also think there somehow could have been a better solution for providing the option for a faster Extended Test. But the rule is there so I thought I might as well craft the dice to support it.

The pip, which I made smaller than a normal 16mm die's pip, is not really that noticable compared to the 'O' or the other markings, which are all about 7mm across.

Brahm, where do you find your blank d6's?

I bought mine from my FLGS. They cost 75 cents/each in the store, here in Canada. They only a few is stock when I first checked, I had to wait for them to place a dice restocking order to pick them up. Still not a bad deal for me given what it would cost me to have Chessex ship direct.

However I have since seen some in bulk online at a much, much lower price (about 20 cents each). Especially if you happen to be in the states, where this web store was located, even with shipping it could be less. The rub is I think they were in a shrinkwrap of 50 or something. So it'd still be something close to $20 once you got them to your doorstep. Still not bad though if you are throwing in with someone else to make two large sets, or even 3 sets of 16 if you play in a lower-end game like I do, or if you might have another use for blank dice in the future. Which I expect I will.

Unfortunately I didn't save the URL so I can't provide it to you right now.

I just looked on the Chessex website, and they offer blanks, as well as "Shadowrun® d6" but with no picture or description.

I have no idea either what those SR dice are. But given they've been around long enough for a model number change I asssume they aren't associated with SR4.

P.S. Camera seems to be on the lamb right now. I'll try again later tonight. Oh, and I just realized that they are 16mm dice. Doh.
hobgoblin
an obscure one indeed, i had totaly missed it.

hmm, at half an hour pr test in a "probe for weakness" test in VR, nasty.
Shrike30
I did something similar to Aaron's, but using model paint... I used black dice with white pips, blacking in 2, 3, and 4. Then I put red in the 1's, silver in the 5's, and gold in the 6's. Metallic colors are a hit, reds should be watched for in case of glitching. Gold is always king smile.gif
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Union Jane)
Used to be, I'd meet some dodgy NPC and realise straightaway that he was easy meat. After all, he was only rolling a single die for initiative, right? And here I was, tossing out three at a time. I was bound to gun him down before he ever got off a shot.

Well, sometimes that wasn't true. More than once, I'd watch in horror as my GM rolled the goon's initiative . . . and that d6 would roll a 6, and then another 6, and before I knew it, I had a serious fight on my well-manicured hands.

These days there are no surprises. I know exactly how many times I'm going to act each round, and when I gauge an NPC to be a zero threat, I no longer fear that he'll end up with more actions than me. Where's the fun in that?

Sigh.

With every target number a 5, gone are the days when I clung to a prayer that I could somehow hit that target-number 17 on two small dice. I liked that suspense. Everybody always had a shot, no matter how distant. The exploding d6 added an element to the game that I dearly miss.

That's funny, your problem with SR4 is similar to my problem with SR4. You don't like it because the dice don't explode and I don't like cause it sucks. biggrin.gif
No, really, I don't like it cause if I want to play WW, I'll play WW.
Samaels Ghost
What's WW?
BlueRondo
I assume he's referring to White Wolf.

Personally, I don't see the problem with having a similar dice mechanic to another game. If the objection is that the dice mechanic doesn't work, I can understand that, but if the objection is simply that it resembles another game, I don't see the issue.
Samaels Ghost
That is a weird comparison.
Brahm
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost @ Jul 25 2006, 09:27 PM)
That is a weird comparison.

Yes. About the only thing the two share are that they both use dice pools and they have the same average number of hits per die in the pool. There is a little less chance of a 8-9-0 on a d10 than a 5-6 on a d6, but because WW's dice always explode the average is the same as for regular SR4. Edge rolls are of course a different matter as the odds are obviously different than d10 TN8 exploding on 10. But even when the average number of hits in the same the distribution curves of the number of hits is somewhat different, as well as a lot of the other parts of the mechanics and rules, that gives a decidedly different feel to it.

Anyway here are the photos. This one is on a wood table, but the antique light fixture in the room produces a bit of a yellowish light that looks positively piss-yellow with that camera and the glare off the wood polish. This one is of a Glitch, and taken on a counter under whiter light, but in my shadow. The camera isn't very good at close up shots, and the dice's factory finish is glossy enough that I had to turn off the flash or even direct white light otherwise they turn into white globs of glow in the photo.

The second photo also shows the dice case base I drilled a hole in to use as a template. You snug the die up in the corner on the side shown and then flip it over and pencil in the circle on the other side. There are two holes, the larger one being from an initial test that turned out to be too big. The problem is that the dice are not perfectly symmetrical, so if you make the circle too big the closeness to the edge of the dice really accentuates that the 'O' isn't quite centered.
McGravin
Those are pretty sweet, Brahm. If I can find some d6 blanks, I think I'll borrow a Dremel and give your method a shot.

After reading this thread today, out of curiousity I took some of my disposable dice (I have a huge back of like 40 black-pips-on-white d6's) and tried just coloring the sides with red and green Sharpies. The 1-side got colored in red, the 6-side got colored in green, and the 5-side got a thick green border on the outside. It works, and it looks pretty okay, but the red tends to rub onto the other sides, turning the 2, 3, and 4 to a shade of pink. I can confirm that this method works, but not well; I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyway, back to the original topic in the thread. I loved the Rule of Six, too. Once, in SR2, with only a 1d6+something initiative, I rolled a 73. Twelve 6s in a row, followed by a 1. Yeah, yeah, I know the Rule of Six isn't supposed to apply to initiative, but just try to tell me that when you're the new runner on a team and all the other guys have Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Accelerators, you wouldn't beg your GM to let you keep a 73, just once.

Anyway, my friends and I tried a couple games where we houseruled-in the Rule of Six, but did so in such a way that it was not completely a good thing. First of all, it was a purchasable positive quality, costing 15BP. That meant that theoretically some of the players might have it while others would not, but we found that once one player bought the quality, they all wanted it. Second, it was still very possible to glitch with the Rule of Six.

For example, one player was rolling a dice pool of 8, and came up with 1, 1, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6. He was now effectively rolling a total of 10 dice (8 in the original pool, plus two rerolled 6s), and ended up getting both 1s on the rerolls. So now he had five 1s from 10 dice, giving him a glitch, whereas if he hadn't rerolled his 6s, he would have been fine. So the Rule of Six ended up biting him in the ass with the Rule of One.

We also did something special with rolling Edge so that it was still very advantageous. I think we made it impervious to the Rule of One, so that it was impossible to glitch while rolling Edge. Either that, or the player would win back a point of Edge for every double-6 rolled (that is, roll a 6 on a die, and then roll a second 6 on the reroll of that same die). I can't recall which of the two we settled on.

So, yeah. If you're such a big fan of the Rule of Six that it just doesn't feel like Shadowrun without it, try fiddling with some house rules until you can work it back in. Personally, we found that our Rule of Six houserules were a little bit cumbersome, and somewhat unappealing in that they could come back and bite you in the ass frighteningly often.
Shrike30
The similarity to White Wolf that I don't like isn't the fixed TN die pool bit... that's a really basic mechanic, not something that any one game can really lay claim to. The similarity that I don't like is the use of stat + skill which, IMO, really diminishes the value of skills in low- to mid-range applications (you'll note that they didn't have to tell you "no spending more than 200 points on skills"...). This is also not a WW-exclusive thing... just something that SR4 shares with WW that I don't like.
Brahm
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Jul 26 2006, 12:03 PM)
(you'll note that they didn't have to tell you "no spending more than 200 points on skills"...).

They did put an even more serious limit on Skill Points expendatures, just not a total Build Point expendature. As well I've found in practice that one or two points in a Skill is now actually useful as opposed to prior in SR3 where it was a total waste.

That aside I really don't understand the need to put a limit the Build Point spending on Attributes either outside of a helpful rule of thumb to players to keep from gimping their characters.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Brahm)
As well I've found in practice that one or two points in a Skill is now actually useful as opposed to prior in SR3 where it was a total waste.

Gotaa agree on this one. Even just getting a single point can make you good at something if you have a natural aptitude for it (i.e. a good stat). That one skill point is worth two dice because it gets rid of the -1 defaulting penalty.
Cain
On the other hand, they totally overpowered specializations. One point of skill plus one specialization gives you three bonus dice, right off the top. On that regard, it's no better than before: you only picked up a single point in a skill in SR3 if you planned on specializing.
James McMurray
Specialization hasn't been an issue in our games. If you're doing it with a weapon you'll probably want more dice. With other skills you're still weak in the other aspects of the skill.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Specialization hasn't been an issue in our games. If you're doing it with a weapon you'll probably want more dice. With other skills you're still weak in the other aspects of the skill.

James, don't take this the wrong way, but you seem like a drone. Anything FanPro does is fine with you. SR4 is the greatest, blah, blah, blah.
James McMurray
Then you're not looking close enough. smile.gif

I've mentioned several things I don't like about the game (hacking still isn't where I'd like it to be), things I wish they'd done better with (why give us encumbrance but no weights?), and things I've flat out ignored (agent blitzes), to anme just a few. I've also griped a bit about the release schedule, but with the addon that if it means more balanced rules thanks to much more playtesting I'll be happy.

I think that overall SR4 is a good game. I prefer it to SR3 because the rules flow a lot better between the various aspects, it's easier to teach and to learn, and the book is laid out much better. I also prefer the "feel" of it, but that's a highly subjective thing that I can't even really define myself.

Maybe it's because I frequently (but not always) disagree with Cain, and he frequently (almost always) bashes SR4. smile.gif
Shrike30
QUOTE (Cain)
On the other hand, they totally overpowered specializations. One point of skill plus one specialization gives you three bonus dice, right off the top. On that regard, it's no better than before: you only picked up a single point in a skill in SR3 if you planned on specializing.

With the RAW-optional "max hits equal to skill x2," I haven't found skill 1 specialists to be a huge problem.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 28 2006, 03:14 AM)
Then you're not looking close enough. smile.gif

I've mentioned several things I don't like about the game (hacking still isn't where I'd like it to be), things I wish they'd done better with (why give us encumbrance but no weights?), and things I've flat out ignored (agent blitzes), to anme just a few. I've also griped a bit about the release schedule, but with the addon that if it means more balanced rules thanks to much more playtesting I'll be happy.

I think that overall SR4 is a good game. I prefer it to SR3 because the rules flow a lot better between the various aspects, it's easier to teach and to learn, and the book is laid out much better. I also prefer the "feel" of it, but that's a highly subjective thing that I can't even really define myself.

Maybe it's because I frequently (but not always) disagree with Cain, and he frequently (almost always) bashes SR4. smile.gif

Geez, try to piss a guy off and he doesn't get mad? What's this world coming to? wink.gif
I agree that rules are more simple, I, however, dislike that aspect. It doesn't seem to be as realistic when you simplify things. I also don't like attribute heavy systems, when SR4 is. I agree that the book is laid out better (FASA was known for bad layouts). I don't like the "feel" of it, it seems like a less gritty, campy, Shadowrun.
James McMurray
I don't see less grit, but I definitely see less camp, and like it that way. smile.gif
Brahm
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
It doesn't seem to be as realistic when you simplify things.

Even though that is often illusionary, and the reverse is just as easily true.
QUOTE (Rajaat99)
I don't like the "feel" of it, it seems like a less gritty, campy, Shadowrun.

Because there is colour on the pages? Because it isn't the slightly fuzzy print on dull pulp type paper? Is it that asthetics? Because the game itself is, well, there is that word grit again. It is about as useful as saying some game is more 'strawberry' than another game, or that a game is really 'waxy'. Because it doesn't actually described much by itself, and can have so many different meanings.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Shrike30)
With the RAW-optional "max hits equal to skill x2," I haven't found skill 1 specialists to be a huge problem.

Shrike--Not that I disagree with you, but can you give me a page reference. I remember reading something like this, but cannot find it.
the_dunner
QUOTE (McQuillan)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Jul 28 2006, 10:34 AM)

Shrike--Not that I disagree with you, but can you give me a page reference. I remember reading something like this, but cannot find it.

It's p.69, on the Tweaking the Rules chart. First entry for "Grittier Gameplay."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012