Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Magic art preview
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Witness
Woo hoo
Grinder
Nice art smile.gif And it will be hardcover smile.gif (missed the fact before)
Oracle
Old. Woo hoo. wink.gif
Witness
With respect, I posted first. Check your timestamps!

Yes, it does look nice.
Oracle
Me stupid!! rotfl.gif

I owe you a drink if you ever make it to my part of Germany.
Witness
Well pour me out a Doppelbock- I'm packing the car! wink.gif
SL James
The cover art is pretty fucking cool.
Grinder
Yeah.

@Witness: you're coming to Germany? Cool smile.gif Have to introduce you into the mighty Astra-cult then wink.gif
Witness
Sorry I was joking. Not planning any trips to Germany for a while, but if I do I may well let you guys know! And if anyone's coming to the UK (Leicester), I'll happily say hi as well.

The cover is indeed spot on. The guy on the right looks a fair bit like the combat mage in the main book- shame his tats aren't glowing this time.
SL James
I'm not sure how I feel about that plant spirit image considering it's the same artist who drew that horrible picture on p.99 of System Failure.
Demonseed Elite
Wow, that is some nice cover art. I really approve.
Grinder
QUOTE (SL James)
I'm not sure how I feel about that plant spirit image considering it's the same artist who drew that horrible picture on p.99 of System Failure.

Ah, there are other, far worse pics. I like the plant image, it reminded me a little of Jeff Laubensteins works.
Jrayjoker
I am only nitpicking because I care, but does the cover look a little like a (GASP!) D&D book due to the font, or is it just me?
Bull
QUOTE (SL James)

Agreed, I really like the way it looks. The lighting effect from the lightning is nice.

I'm also digging the Shadowrun logo running down the side of the book instead of along the top. It's a bit different from pretty much every other RPG cover design smile.gif

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I am only nitpicking because I care, but does the cover look a little like a (GASP!) D&D book due to the font, or is it just me?

Maybe a little, but I think that's mostly because D&D has used damn near every type of font over the years that evokes any sort of mystical or fantasy imagery.

That type of font works for a book about magic, IMO. I'd expect the fonts for the titles to Unwired, Augmentation, etc to all be a bit more tech or futuristic looking. ork.gif

Bull
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Bull)
I'm also digging the Shadowrun logo running down the side of the book instead of along the top. It's a bit different from pretty much every other RPG cover design smile.gif

kinda reminds me of witchcraft...

looking forward to this book!
The Canterbury Tail
QUOTE (Bull)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 1 2006, 06:07 AM)

Agreed, I really like the way it looks. The lighting effect from the lightning is nice.

Bull

Yeah, doesn't look a thing like the World of Darkness covers. No not at all.
Bull
QUOTE (The Canterbury Tail)
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 1 2006, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 1 2006, 06:07 AM)

Bull

Yeah, doesn't look a thing like the World of Darkness covers. No not at all.

Heh, do they do that? Don;t really actively play any of the WoD stuff (Did a brief game when the WoD corebook came out a couple years ago), and don;t own any of the books, so... <shrug> Don;t really pay attention to what the books look like.

*goes Googling*

Hey, we borrowed some concepts of their system, and improved upon them. Why not do the same with their covers? wink.gif

Ahh well. Still nice design element.

Bull
Grinder
QUOTE (Bull)
Hey, we borrowed some concepts of their system, and improved upon them.

Really? Didn't notice it until now. rotfl.gif
2bit
Very, very nice cover art. Possibly the best Ive ever seen for Shadowrun. That's the kind of cover that sells not only the book, but the core rulebook next to it on the shelf. Can't wait to pick this one up.
JongWK
Wow, that's some amazing art. The new cover design is (IMHO) much better too.
Jrayjoker
I am very pleased by what I have seen. And I am glad it will be hardcover.

[Channeling Mr. Burns] Excellent. [/Channeling Mr. Burns]
Samaels Ghost
I'm glad they went with something different than the Occult Investigator picture that they showed being the cover for a while. I was afraid they would stick with that. I'm not really a fan of some of the runner pics in the core rulebook but the ones in SR3 book were worse. Not that I could do better.
Yeah, that plant spirit pic needs to go.
BishopMcQ
I'm a fan of the cover art, though I am curious...what is the device on each of their belts?
Bull
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
I'm glad they went with something different than the Occult Investigator picture that they showed being the cover for a while. I was afraid they would stick with that. I'm not really a fan of some of the runner pics in the core rulebook but the ones in SR3 book were worse. Not that I could do better.

I kinda like the plant spirit pic smile.gif

As for the cover, because of the way solicitations for places like Amazon work, often the solicitation has to be in well before any cover art is done. Almost every SR book to come down the pipe has had placeholder art for a while before the real cover gets posted.

Barring some wierd circumstance, you should never see any art duplication for a Shadowrun Cover. Interior art, occasionally, but cover art? No. smile.gif

Bull
Brahm
Might be the artist's take on commlinks, instead of using the Indiglo style LCD screen look that we've seen in other art that likely is representing commlinks. That is something that hasn't really be nailed down in the rules or even fluff yet, what exactly a commlink looks like. It might be that they have lots of different looks to them.
Bull
QUOTE (McQuillan)
I'm a fan of the cover art, though I am curious...what is the device on each of their belts?

I'd assume probably their Comlinks (or at least this artists interpretation of one)
Samaels Ghost
I assumed they were comms. One of the few things in the picture that looks technological. I can't tell what that is on the forehead of the guy on the left. Mystic thingamabob or funky trodes?
SL James
QUOTE (Grinder)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 1 2006, 12:59 PM)

Ah, there are other, far worse pics. I like the plant image, it reminded me a little of Jeff Laubensteins works.

Well, it's okay... (If anything, I'm more concerned with Plant Spirits than the picture). It's just that... Eh. The image I'm referring to is so weirdly proportioned that it may work for a spirit, but otherwise I could probably do without his art (also after scanning his website).
Brahm
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 1 2006, 11:54 AM)
If anything, I'm more concerned with Plant Spirits than the picture.

I had always envisioned some spirits as being plant in nature, particularly ones from domains like Forest. Now that spirits aren't divided up along domain lines it makes sense for them to be named Plant Spirits. Tree spirits in particular are a fairly universal mythology.

Once you had Beast spirits it seems rather natural that there be Plant spirits. Next up, Fugi spirits. F3@r the Mushroom Man! cool.gif
maeel
Anybody know the eta on street magic? Art preview for runner heavens was out 42 days before the pdf hit the net....

please somebody tell me where in canada it is right now, i'd like to go there to force them to do double shifts...!
Samaels Ghost
If you knew where they made the books why wouldn't you just steal one?
winterhawk11
QUOTE (maeel)
Anybody know the eta on street magic?  Art preview for runner heavens was out 42 days before the pdf hit the net....

The plan (fingers, toes, and any other relevant appendages one can locate crossed) is that it'll be released at Gen Con. I know it's at the printer now, so I'd say it's looking decently good that this will occur. I won't say I'm certain until I see the books sitting on the table next week, but I'm hopeful.
SL James
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)
If you knew where they made the books why wouldn't you just steal one?

Why stop there? Steal the originals from Fanpro and fire... Whoa. Too much SR makes James a psychotic supervillian.
Bull
QUOTE (SL James)
If anything, I'm more concerned with Plant Spirits than the picture

Well, judging by the "Spirits of Beasts" that appear in SR4, I'm assuming that it's not so much a "Plant Spirit" per se, as it is a spirit of the general "Spirits of Plants" domain. Basically a recategorizing/renaming of things like the "Forest Spirits", or a more specific form of the all-encompassing "Nature SPirits" from SR3 and earlier.

Though it does kinda look like a wierd awakened plant critter. smile.gif

Bull
SL James
Yes, Bull. I figured as much. I am not that stupid.
Witness
It's Swamp Thing.
Grinder
QUOTE (SL James)
Ah, there are other, far worse pics. I like the plant image, it reminded me a little of Jeff Laubensteins works. [/QUOTE]
Well, it's okay... (If anything, I'm more concerned with Plant Spirits than the picture). It's just that... Eh. The image I'm referring to is so weirdly proportioned that it may work for a spirit, but otherwise I could probably do without his art (also after scanning his website).

Proportions are not so important by spirits. They're magic thus not really bound to physics or shape. Ehr, you know what I mean biggrin.gif

Toa
I really dislike the nWoD-imitation style cover layout. Not only does it look ripped off, it also doesn't look good (the chosen font doesn't mesh well with a vertical layout). What was wrong with the double-border layout from before? I thought it looked really fresh, something that wasn't really common hitherto. It's especially unpleasing since it's a break from an already established line. It was the first time I was quite positive about a new SR4 release... until I hit the bottom image. -_-;
Critias
Oooh, Mister Fancy Pants, with his "hitherto."
Adam
This style is being used on the rulebooks only; sourcebooks and adventures will continue to use the previous design, as seen on On The Run and Runner Havens.
Synner
QUOTE (Samaels Ghost)

Believe me the picture is actually very cool in context and scaled to size - imagine the spirit pics in SR4.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Grinder)
[QUOTE=SL James,Aug 1 2006, 05:54 PM] Ah, there are other, far worse pics. I like the plant image, it reminded me a little of Jeff Laubensteins works. [/QUOTE]
Well, it's okay... (If anything, I'm more concerned with Plant Spirits than the picture). It's just that... Eh. The image I'm referring to is so weirdly proportioned that it may work for a spirit, but otherwise I could probably do without his art (also after scanning his website). [/QUOTE]
Proportions are not so important by spirits. They're magic thus not really bound to physics or shape. Ehr, you know what I mean biggrin.gif

heh, i guess that makes lara croft a spirit of "man" silly.gif

btw, that plant spirit reminds me of some fire spirit image i have seen somwhere.
not sure if its SR or some other game tho...
Grinder
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
[QUOTE=Grinder,Aug 1 2006, 07:41 PM] [QUOTE=SL James,Aug 1 2006, 05:54 PM] Ah, there are other, far worse pics. I like the plant image, it reminded me a little of Jeff Laubensteins works. [/QUOTE]
Well, it's okay... (If anything, I'm more concerned with Plant Spirits than the picture). It's just that... Eh. The image I'm referring to is so weirdly proportioned that it may work for a spirit, but otherwise I could probably do without his art (also after scanning his website). [/QUOTE]
Proportions are not so important by spirits. They're magic thus not really bound to physics or shape. Ehr, you know what I mean biggrin.gif [/QUOTE]
heh, i guess that makes lara croft a spirit of "man" silly.gif

Actually more a "phantasy" of a frustrated Nerd. rotfl.gif

Hm, after Elvis, Drop Bears and Knight Rider, could there be a Lara Croft Totem? silly.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Grinder @ Aug 1 2006, 11:41 AM)

Clearly. No, my problem is with, well... *sighs* (Flickr is good for something I guess) ... this image. So... Good for spirits. For all others... meh (at best).
Grinder
You're great! biggrin.gif
SL James
I consider it serendipity that the image is online. On the other hand, it's probably just a forewarning of something bad.
Brahm
QUOTE (SL James)
I consider it serendipity that the image is online. On the other hand, it's probably just a forewarning of something bad.

Where is the original online?
Grinder
Motivational Poster-thread at rpg.net I guess.
SL James
I found it digging through the whole set, but yeah, what Grinder said. A bunch were posted to the rpg.net thread. Some of them are also linked in the motivational poster thread on the Shadowrun subforum.

That thread is quite amusing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012