Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's Up with FanPro?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Samaels Ghost
If Emergence effectively demonizes TMs then a little hysteria will be likely, not matter how high-tech the setting. If TMs showing off their new abilities commit terrorism or the world knows that it was otaku that caused the Crash, then people won't accept them without a little time to adjust and some pro-TM activists in the mix. Depends on the events of Emergence. It a little silly to speculate before that happens.
James McMurray
Obviously our opinions differ. That's cool. FanPro agrees with me. wink.gif

Those that Joe Average owns... but when considering attack scenarios, one does not worry about Joe Average.

Any implanted commlink is detectable. Even if only barely. That's still infinitely more detectable than a technomancer.

Form a personal PoV, nobody will be able to even tell the difference.

You can't tell the difference between a straight man and a gay one but there are people terrified of them. I think your mistake is that you keep trying to apply logic. When discussing a herd mindset like you get when you look at mob mentality logic doesn't work like it does for individuals.

For groups all change becomes scary, unless it's made in reaction to something scarier or couched in placating terms. Likewise, once something has been around for a while it is no longer scary, even if it should be, unless something happens to bring it to the forefront of the herd's mind

You and I can say "Technomancers are just like implanted commlinks to the average Joe." Any average Joe can say that. But when you get a bunch of average Joes together rationality changes directions. If they're told something is scary they'll believe it. And I think it's safe to say that a sensationalist media controlled by megacorps who want power over technomancers will tell people that the TMs are scary.
Rotbart van Dainig
Maybe. The real problem is: How do you even recognize a TM?
TheDaki
From what I know of Emergence, there is a very good explanation for why there is hatred and distruct of TMs by some people.
zero skill LPB
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

And that's why it's so scary. FUD is the mind-killer (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Maybe that kid looking at you is one of Them. Maybe your credit history is being destroyed while he smiles and looks into your eyes. Or maybe that other person across the way is the One that's doing it. You know, the one that won't meet your eyes and seems to be talking to themself?

They are all around you. And there's no where you can go to get away from Them.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 17 2006, 04:42 PM)

What the last guy said. smile.gif

You don't have to be able to grab someone off the street and beat him up for there to be fear. In fact, the less recognizable someone is the more fearful you are. If terrorist cells in America wore badges there wouldn't be as much fear surrounding them, because you could just call the cops when you saw one buying 1,000 cell phones. But since they don't, when anyone buys 1,000 cell phones it's cause for fear of terrorism, even if they just wanted to defraud some phone companies.
SL James
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 17 2006, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Shrike30)
It's discovered, after a rogue AI (hiding in the heads of otaku) crashes the global Matrix and kills or traps millions of people in the process,

Huh? Winternight already is the scapegoat. Deus Network never was public knowledge nor were those otaku... and Deus dind't even try to crash the matrix.

Exactly.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Additionally there is now a huge security problem for corporations. you used to be able to scan people for commlinks if you wanted to keep them from gaining access in your facilitity. Now they can walk through your scans butt nekked and still hack you blind.

Indeed. Because there is no possible way to detect EM transmissions.

QUOTE (TheDaki)
From what I know of Emergence, there is a very good explanation for why there is hatred and distruct of TMs by some people.

Why, dude? Why? Why even bother posting?

God I hate when people do shit like that. Stop it. It's not cool. It doesn't make you look like an insider. It makes you look like a pretentious tool.

Maybe that kid looking at you is one of Them. Maybe your credit history is being destroyed while he smiles and looks into your eyes. Or maybe that other person across the way is the One that's doing it. You know, the one that won't meet your eyes and seems to be talking to themself?

How is that different from anyone else in 2070?

Try a little harder, because if that the reason then the authors have just gotten lazy.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (TheDaki)

Well, I'm waiting patiently to read it... it's just I'm scared that it may look like recent 'explanations' which look way too much like the one used for the state of the AGS.

QUOTE (zero skill LPB)
And that's why it's so scary. FUD is the mind-killer (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Without any physical reason, such fear gets you into the straightjacket.
There is no way you can identify a technomancer by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but most people don't even care how the technical parts of the matrix work.
James McMurray
You don't have to care how the internet works to be afraid of hackers. You don't have to care how magic works to be afraid of mages. You don't have to care how technomancy works to be afraid of technomancers.

Without any physical reason, such fear gets you into the straightjacket.

That fear affects millions of people every day in America, especially when something in the news brings terrorism, homosexuality, or any of a number of other "scary" things to our attention. It doesn't put people in straight jackets now, why would it in the future?

There is no way you can identify a technomancer terrorist by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

There is no way you can identify a technomancer homosexual by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

There is no way you can identify a technomancer AIDS victim by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

There is no way you can identify a technomancer psychopathic serial rapist by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

It's not about recognition, it's about worry. Not a constant worry, even terrorism int he wake of 9/11 didn't cause constant worry. It's about the worry that springs up when someone mentions that someone just bought 1,000 cellphones, or applied for a marriage license, or was found scratching themselves and bleeding into food in a stuffer shack.

If fear were a rational thing the American government would not have as much power as they have now. Not just power granted by fear of terrorism, but power granted by fear of nuclear war, fear of communism, and fear of the degredation of the sanctity of marriage. If there's one thing we can learn from history it's that people can be scared of stuff for the stupidest reasons, and the less control they feel they have in the situation the harsher their response will be.
Shrike30
I should read up more on the Crash of '64... I thought Deus was somehow involved in it.
SL James
As a victim.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (James McMurray)
You don't have to care how the internet works to be afraid of hackers.

Of course you have - because every corporation tells you how worryfree and secure the matrix is.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
That fear affects millions of people every day in America, especially when something in the news brings terrorism, homosexuality, or any of a number of other "scary" things to our attention. It doesn't put people in straight jackets now, why would it in the future?

Because, unfortunalty, there are to few straightjackets right now.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
There is no way you can identify a technomancer terrorist by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

There is no way you can identify a technomancer homosexual by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

There is no way you can identify a technomancer AIDS victim by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

There is no way you can identify a technomancer psychopathic serial rapist by his actions, and you are performing similar actions yourself every day.

Not everything that limps is an analogy.
Every straw man quote you posted features a distinguising anomaly that can be identified, beside AIDS.
All those are like magic - they are about behavior that is outside the norm itself and would cause serious reactions if done openly.

Just, someone checking his email, which TM and Joe Average do alike, doesn't.

QUOTE (Shrike30)
I should read up more on the Crash of '64... I thought Deus was somehow involved in it.

If by 'involved' you mean 'getting screwed by it in the middle of resurrection'... yes, he was. wink.gif
Synner
Much of the potential uncertainty and suspicion surrounding TMs will have less to do with what they do but with the issues of how they do it, why they are able to do it, what the true extent of their abilities really is (and wrong assumptions that can be made), and who they are (and what distinguishes them from otaku). Emergence is at least partly about how society deals with something it doesn't understand or comprehend, and how the powers that be react to a new element in the(ir) playfield.
Samaels Ghost

Yeah, he got pwned by the virus.
TheDaki
Can't help but chuckle at SL for berrating someone for doing things that make them look like a tool considering the content of posts he has made.

But, I do see your point. I'm not sure what is safe to talk about and what isn't when it comes to new stuff being put out so I would rather be cautious.

Just sticking to how the emergence of the existence of TMs could cause a backlash, irrational speculation could be very easy cause. The Matrix crashed just a few years prior and now here are people that are able to access the Matrix directly without any need of technology. One zealot with a microphone could spout that they had been there all along and caused all the problems with the Crash or any other problem with anything even linked to worldwide systems.

Your basic corporation is going to want to know how these people tick and if they can use them to their advantage. Or maybe just cut them open and see what may be different about them genetically.

Those in the know would wonder why TMs don't fade like the Otaku of old did.

And when the existence of TMs is first realized, your Joe Average citizen will not know the extent of their abilities and will start to fill in the blanks. "They can access the Matrix without any tech... does that mean they could get in my PAN with no problems? Could they get into my bank account and just take my money away?"
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 18 2006, 12:20 AM)
As a victim.

..yeah, looks like I need to add something to the Slogan 'Deus: janitor - despot - trend-setter' wink.gif

QUOTE (TheDaki)
One zealot with a microphone could spout that they had been there all along and caused all the problems with the Crash or any other problem with anything even linked to worldwide systems.

You can construct any reasoning that way, concerning any minority.
Still, TM are unpromising victims: There far to few of them and they can hardly be identified, so Joe Average has no one to project that hate to.
hobgoblin
And when the existence of TMs is first realized, your Joe Average citizen will not know the extent of their abilities and will start to fill in the blanks. "They can access the Matrix without any tech... does that mean they could get in my PAN with no problems? Could they get into my bank account and just take my money away?"

bingo, FUD at work wink.gif

"sure there are all kinds of ICE and stuff thats designed to stop a hacker from getting into my account and comlink. but these people are not hackers! can we even be sure that the ICE can detect them, much less stop them?!"

in the end it can be crystal night all over again. people have just had their lifes ruined and need something to blame for it. then some charismatic figure comes along and points out a group of, potentialy secretive/private/diffrent , people as the problem...

what people dont understand they fear.
what people fear they hate.
what people hate they destroy.
SL James
QUOTE (TheDaki)
Your basic corporation is going to want to know how these people tick and if they can use them to their advantage. Or maybe just cut them open and see what may be different about them genetically.

Oh, you mean like Dr. Halberstam doing that at the end of System Failure back in 2065 when they first appear?

Oooh, novel.
James McMurray
Yes, it might not be a new idea, but it's more refreshing than your posts have been lately. I think your tampon might need changing. smile.gif

Every straw man quote you posted features a distinguising anomaly that can be identified, beside AIDS.

None of them can be identified by the guy sitting across the bus from them. And sometimes you'll misidentify someone because of their race, religion, effeminate voice, or whatever. But I guess in your world people only fear what they can identify with a glance? That's cool. Not very realistic IMO, but cool. smile.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (James McMurray)
None of them can be identified by the guy sitting across the bus from them. And sometimes you'll misidentify someone because of their race, religion, effeminate voice, or whatever.

That doesn't even matter - normal people can through observation, and thus create stereotypes that other people apply.
Just, TMs totally lack stereotypes - they are too few, scattered across the population: the SF fluff is talking about a nice old lady.
There is no defining trait, no unusual external behavior, sip, nada - no stereotype.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
But I guess in your world people only fear what they can identify with a glance? That's cool. Not very realistic IMO, but cool.

So, coming back to 'realistic': People fear what they can't grasp, and hate what they can identify.
Not stereotype, no identification.

Which sums up to:
You can fear TMs like you can fear the mindcontrol ray you are wearing your tinfoil hat against... but the best you can hate are some geeks that are, 99,9% of the time, no TMs.
Essentially, you are looking at technophobia in a hightech world... not going to last very long.

Not that would be a real problem... given all those ghost-in-the-machine, potentially some new and some old AI awakening, Joe Average and Corp X could be made very painfully aware that the matrix isn't under his control after all.
James McMurray
Like I said, different opinions. While I think my thought process is sound, I'll happily wait to see how FanPro rationalizes the TM prejudice, as it's apparent from their posts here that it exists.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (James McMurray)
But I guess in your world people only fear what they can identify with a glance? That's cool. Not very realistic IMO, but cool.

So, coming back to 'realistic': People fear what they can't grasp, and hate what they can identify.
Not stereotype, no identification.

Which sums up to:
You can fear TMs like you can fear the mindcontrol ray you are wearing your tinfoil hat against... but the best you can hate are some geeks that are, 99,9% of the time, no TMs.
Essentially, you are looking at technophobia in a hightech world... not going to last very long.

Not that would be a real problem... given all those ghost-in-the-machine, potentially some new and some old AI awakening, Joe Average and Corp X could be made very painfully aware that the matrix isn't under his control after all.

What defining characteristic were people latching onto when they were burning people for being witches? I expect lots of people will be lynched for being "technos" even when they are not. Maybe they're just hackers, maybe they're just skinny and diseased-looking, maybe they have a birthmark on their neck. It's not rational people who'll be chopping off people's heads in alleyways and wrapping them in aluminum foil; it'll be scared, stupid people.
SL James
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Yes, it might not be a new idea, but it's more refreshing than your posts have been lately. I think your tampon might need changing.

Are you trying to be as big a dick as Geekake?
KosherPickle
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Key features:

• Probably has the same format as System Failure.

I don't see how you gleaned that from the sell sheet. It only said that it was going to follow in the footsteps of the previous Matrix-related campaigns: Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, Brainscan, System Failure. Considering that the formats for each of them is not at all like the the other two, it's safe to say that the format of Emergence is not at all apparent (except to those who've seen it, of course).
Synner
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
What defining characteristic were people latching onto when they were burning people for being witches? I expect lots of people will be lynched for being "technos" even when they are not. Maybe they're just hackers, maybe they're just skinny and diseased-looking, maybe they have a birthmark on their neck. It's not rational people who'll be chopping off people's heads in alleyways and wrapping them in aluminum foil; it'll be scared, stupid people.

Yup. Scared, stupid people will do that sort of thing, especially if they're provided with the right incentive/excuse.
RunnerPaul
Are you now, or have you ever been...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

Maybe they're just hackers, maybe they're just skinny and diseased-looking, maybe they have a birthmark on their neck.

Like I said - geeks. wink.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 17 2006, 05:33 PM)
Yes, it might not be a new idea, but it's more refreshing than your posts have been lately. I think your tampon might need changing.

Nope. Just pointing out that your recent posts have been very typical of you. Lots of vitriol and very little actual content. Heck, you even at one point told someone to F off because you're a great GM, but that you weren't about to prove that statement using the yardstick of the thread in question.

I don't know if real life has decided to bite you in the ass lately or what, but you used to at least inject a little bit of useful discussion every now and then. Lately it's just "I roxxors! SR4 suxxors!" It's amusing, sad, and familiar all at once.
hobgoblin
hmm, people. i fear we may soon get a visit from the great bull in the sky. so lets try and leave the personal bits out of it, ok?

all in all its just guesswork, but history (as in RL) have shown that a combo of uninformed/missinformed and scared can make people do very illogical things. so lets put a halt to this and wait to see how the book explains how things happen.
James McMurray
I doubt it. I've never seen a moderator say anything to people like SL James, Geekakke, Cain, and the like. Long term citizenship here seems to grant you immunity to the "don't be an ass" rules.

I think that a highly publicized case, or cases, or matrix crime and/or terrorism will be brought against a small group of Technomancers. The media frenzy will start a manhunt, and the TMs will strike back, probably crippling somegovernment agency or middle to upper tier corporation's online presence. That will be enough for the corporate owned media to raise the fear levels as high as they can, because when people are afraid they don't mind if you take peoples' rights away.

edit: had "moderator" and "SL James" cross wires in my brain so that the first post seemed to indicate that Bull was one of the people that acts like an ass.
Critias
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I doubt it. I've never seen a moderator say anything to people like SL James, Geekakke, Cain, and the like. Long term citizenship here seems to grant you immunity to the "don't be an ass" rules.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
James McMurray
Glad I could amuse. smile.gif
Witness
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I think it's safe to say that a sensationalist media controlled by megacorps who want power over technomancers will tell people that the TMs are scary.

Hmm. Now which way will Horizon jump?
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Long term citizenship here seems to grant you immunity to the "don't be an ass" rules.

haaaaaahahahahaha!
James McMurray
I'm on a roll. Perhaps it's not the long term citizenship, but there are definitely people around who are very, um, abrasive who don't get called on it by the moderators. There are others who are less abrasive, but also less well-liked, who do.

That's all totally off topic to the post at hand though. If someone wants to continue the discussion I'd be happy to take it to PM.
Teux
I could very easily see Otaku/TMs being painted as scapegoats for Crash 2.0.

Yes, I know that it didn't happen that way, but enough corporate or government propoganda in that direction could easily convince Joe Average that it is the absolute truth. Especially considering the weird, semi-mystical way in which these individuals access the matrix, combined with the confluence of events.

That kind of coincidence is thrown out in court as inadmissable, but the court of popular opinion operates quite differently...
Geekkake
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I'm on a roll. Perhaps it's not the long term citizenship, but there are definitely people around who are very, um, abrasive who don't get called on it by the moderators. There are others who are less abrasive, but also less well-liked, who do.

That's all totally off topic to the post at hand though. If someone wants to continue the discussion I'd be happy to take it to PM.

Shhhhhh, they'll hear you.
zero skill LPB
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Aug 18 2006, 01:23 AM)

Yup. Scared, stupid people will do that sort of thing, especially if they're provided with the right incentive/excuse.

Following that, it's not unreasonable to assume that if Corporation X feels they can profit from mass hysteria ("Need protection for Magic Brain Hackers? Buy Product Prime and keep them at bay!" or maybe use the ensuing media frenzy as a distraction to slip nefarious doings by the public or ...) they'll be the ones fueling if not creating it.

Dystopia tropes. It's what's for dinner.
Rotbart van Dainig
I'm pretty sure any Corp providing services in or about the matrix will be very swift to mute such paranoia: You don't want your sheep worrying too much.
rangda
QUOTE (zero skill LPB)
Following that, it's not unreasonable to assume that if Corporation X feels they can profit from mass hysteria ("Need protection for Magic Brain Hackers? Buy Product Prime

I can see it now, late night infomercials for tinfoil hats for your commlink..
mfb
I'm pretty sure any Corp providing services in or about the matrix will be very swift to mute such paranoia: You don't want your sheep worrying too much.

eh, i dunno. a good enemy--be it technomancers or teh terrars--is a good way to keep the sheep in line. without (blatantly) injecting my own biases, look at the way the Bush administration handles fear. whenever there's any terrorist incident, no matter how minor, it's trumpeted as loudly as possible. if the corps provide the appearance of being able to protect their people from the technomancer menace, i think they'd very well inflate that menace to strike as much fear into their sheep as possible.
James McMurray
Definitely. A new matrix threat means new matrix security suites, and those suckers aren't cheap.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 18 2006, 10:12 PM)
eh, i dunno. a good enemy--be it technomancers or teh terrars--is a good way to keep the sheep in line. without (blatantly) injecting my own biases, look at the way the Bush administration handles fear. whenever there's any terrorist incident, no matter how minor, it's trumpeted as loudly as possible. if the corps provide the appearance of being able to protect their people from the technomancer menace, i think they'd very well inflate that menace to strike as much fear into their sheep as possible.

In the case of a monopoly, indeed. Just there isn't one in SR, and all those corps are just too willing to backstab each other if one tries to go that route.

If there is one thing the history of SR showed, it's the sport of 'who has the best cover-up'.
mfb
i tend to view the corps as having a monopoly, or fairly close, on their own citizenry. that's not something SR's very clear on, though.
Casper
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2006, 08:27 PM)

Nope. Just pointing out that your recent posts have been very typical of you. Lots of vitriol and very little actual content. Heck, you even at one point told someone to F off because you're a great GM, but that you weren't about to prove that statement using the yardstick of the thread in question.

I don't know if real life has decided to bite you in the ass lately or what, but you used to at least inject a little bit of useful discussion every now and then. Lately it's just "I roxxors! SR4 suxxors!" It's amusing, sad, and familiar all at once.

Easy boys. Lets not whip it out and measure it on the table just yet.

/moving on
//nothing worth while to see here
Arab_One
I can easily see how people could get worried about technomancers. It's not what the public knows, its what it doesn't know

It seems that a lot of people got the wrong end of the stick in the Crash2. For example Novatech got a heap of grief for their involvement, which was simply to be one of the first to die. Anyone who blamed Novatech may have gotten glimpses of the truth about AI's and the Otaku. Most likely it was hidden (especially by Renraku). Which is why Novatech got the grief it did.

Then technomancers emerge. Joe Public hears people can do weird things with their brains. First they ask where they came from, and their answers involve AI's, Otaku, Brainwashing, The Network, The Dissonance, (all of which acted in a very "we are not part of society" way) and their part in the crash. They already know about the Nukes and Winternight, but they always knew there were Nukes in the world. They didn't know there were AI's and Otaku, who could do what they did and played a pivotal role in almost sending us back to the dark ages.

Once all that brainwashing and mind changing stuff that the AI's did came out, you'll start wondering if these Technomancers can do that. Can they affect your mind? No one has the answer. Some say "of course not! Wireless networks can't affect your mind!" Yet a week ago, your mind couldn't affect wireless networks, and now it can (if you're a Technomancer).

Who are these people?
What do these people want?
What can these people do?
Are these people think like us at all?
How do we protect ourselves from these people?
What is being done to make sure these people don't hurt us again?
What do you do if you think James is one of these people?
Who do you call?
knasser
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 18 2006, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2006, 08:27 PM)

The funny thing is that because they both have "James" in their user name, I can never remember which one is which. It's only when they quote each other like above that I can keep track of it. smile.gif

On the subject of Technomancers and Emergence, this may not be the right place for it, but can the Fanpro people remember that there are those of us who dislike the idea of them and have actually cut them out of our games. Now if it's just me, then no account needs to be taken of it, and I'll just accept the increasing amount of work I have to do to use FanPro products in my game. But there was a poll around here not long ago that revealed quite a large proportion of people really didn't like the idea.

In that case, is it viable to keep that in mind and try to make the technomancer fluff a bit-detachable. I have in mind something like Psionics in WotC new Eberron line. Although it is a big part of the setting, they have actually managed to make it so that you can drop it from the game and still have a coherent setting. Sounds difficult, but it's actually been carried off very elegantly. The idea of technomancers rankles very badly with us and the last thing we need is having them so entangled in the setting we can't do anything about it, or having them prevalent over hackers. MFB is only the most... ah, direct of us. I mean if I've got the release schedule right, Emergence is coming out even before Unwired. Isn't that going to put a much greater emphasis on technomancers than it is on hackers? I don't want that and I'm going to need some way of reversing it in my game.
Grinder
None of the SR4 groups I know has a technomancer as an PC, so no big problem here leaving them out. wink.gif
Adarael
No one is immune to account suspension due to activity. Some of those you have mentioned, Mr. McMurray, have been suspended in the past for the kind of behavior you mention. I should also point out that with regards to SL James as an "old timer", you registered your current account here 5 months prior to him. Hence, you've been here longer, under these accounts.

Likewise, I've been here longer than anyone you've mentioned save Cain (counting these accounts, anyway), and I have yet to recieve any communique (secret or otherwise) from any admin notifying me of my suspension-immunity.

Bull and Adam aren't locking people out for having the kind of bitchfests they do unless they begin to disrupt entire classes of discussion - re: SR3 vs SR4. This is because there's only so much Adam and Bull love to go around, and I imagine they trust you to be adult and not perpetuate these things in public.
SL James
QUOTE (Grinder)
None of the SR4 groups I know has a technomancer as an PC, so no big problem here leaving them out. wink.gif

Now you know of one that does: Mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012