Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for info on explosives . . .
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Oracle
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 25 2006, 11:41 AM)
You consider 9/11 insignificant?

No. The loss of life to violence is never insignificant. But the more than 4.000 civilian deaths caused by the US invasion of Afghanistan are also not insignificant.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 25 2006, 04:41 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 25 2006, 11:19 AM)
Damage done by terrorists is insiginificant. It always has been. It is just more obvious and emotionally changed than many other issues. It is difficult to hate an eartquake or a flood and car crashes, while far more deadly than terrorism in aggregate, are easy to overlook.

I would also like to note that the attacks on teh Pentagon and the World Trade Center also could have been prevented if the passengers and crew of the aircraft were not complacent.  It is the sense of complacency that is most dangerous. No prophylactic is perfect and when potential avenues of attack are infinite any defence will falter. Providing people with the means and the will to protect theselves is far more effective than mass survailence.

You consider 9/11 insignificant? In terms of lives lost and economic loss? What is significant in your eyes then?

By that standard, any of the legislation passed to prevent terrorism is truly insignificant, invalidating your whole opposition to it.

Two buildings. They were big buildings, yes, but they were only two buildings. There are thousands of building and millions of people in New York City.

The annual death rate from terrorism in the US is 1.2/1,000,000 and that includes the World Trade Center, which happens to by the single largest contributer to that statistic.
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/...error_rate.html

By contrast, the annual rate of death in motor vehicle crashes is 14.52/100,000
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20se...s/stats-usa.htm

There was more than 42,000 automobile-related deaths in the United States in 2001 but there were barely 3,000 deaths due to terrorism. In 2000, there were about 42,000 traffic deaths and there were nearly 0 terrorism-related deaths. In 1999 there were about 42,000 traffic deaths and nearly 0 terrorism deaths.

Do we see a pattern, here?

Just look at the graph in my first link. There is a little bump in 1995, (Oklahoma City) an then it goes completely flat until a noticeable spike in 2001 and then it goes flat again.

For every 1 person who died as a result of terrorism in the United States in the past 10 years more 120 individuals have died as a result of automobile crashes.

But let's not stop there.
In the United States in 2002:
Influenza killed 65,418 people
Sepsis killed 33,569 people
Alzheimer's disease killed 58,866 people (but we can't fund stem cell research)
Diabetes killed 73,248 people
Nephritis killed 40,801 people
And the big winner is Heart disease, with 696,447 confirmed kills in 2002 alone.
Cancer is the runner up with 557,197.

With the exceptions of Alzheimer's and some cancers, all of these things are either treatable or preventable now. Some forms of Cancer are preventable (Cervical cancer, which kills 4,800 women per year, for example); other forms of cancer are treatable with various degrees of success; and stems cell research holds promise for a potential Alzheimer's treatment in the future.
Yet, the current government trends is to block sex education programs that would reduce the rate of cervical cancer (when used properly, condoms prevent the transmission of HPV from person to person and they can slow the spread of HPV from the external vulva into the vagina). I have already commented about stem cell research.

So, yes, terrorism is an insignificant killer compared to all of the things that everyone ignores. The billions that are spent fighting terrorism could save more lives by providing flu vaccines.
Heck, it could do a pretty good job of saving lives by providing free condoms to high schools.

Data mining, however, is not insignificant. Data mining, by its very nature, effects millions. It can and does chill free speech, just as the OP shows. When people are afraid to look up information or say the wrong thing becuse The Man might shove battons up their asses then there is a problem. This doesn't just apply to terrorism. Look a school shootings. A couple of isolated incidents with small death tolls caused such a furor that innocent students were having battons shoved up their asses (mostly, but not always, metaphorical battons up metaphorical asses) left-and right just because they look at the wrong book or said the wrong thing.

I really object to your idea that the complacency of the passengers of those planes is most dangerous. Especially since you seem to be using it as an excuse for your opinion that the government should be complacent about the threat to begin with.

Did I ever say that the government should be complacent? No. I said that the government shouldn't treat everyone like they were criminals by default.
This issue goes far beyond terrorism. The government can't be there to protect you from every little thing. There has to be some personal responsibility. The current trend is for "nanny states" to make personal responsibility illegal and force people to rely on the police for protection. The advice "If someone murders you then you should just call the police" really doesn't work very well.

Current rules and regulations surrounding airport security do not prevent terrorists from smuggling weapon on board. They simply prevent individuals who aren't terrorists from having adequate defenses when security measures do fail. Between a legally carried S&W and a cheap smuggled box cutter the S&W will usually win. The difference between the average Air Marshal and the average guy with a carry permit is that the guy with the permit is probably a better shot. And Air Marshals can't be on every flight.
Critias
I'm not sure you're using the same definition of "insignificant" as everyone else in the history of the language. If 9/11 was so "insignificant," we wouldn't be having this conversation about it right now, would we? A few thousand people would've died, a couple buildings would've been messed up, and we wouldn't have even talked about it past two or three days after the fact, right?

Sometimes numbers, alone, aren't significant -- just like a pebble isn't. But when those numbers take on a larger meaning (due to the intent behind the body count, the nature of the deaths, the location, the cause) they can make some waves -- just like that pebble can disrupt the surface of a body of water.

The body count, alone, of 9/11 might not have been enough to impress someone as too-cool and cynical as you, Hyzmarca. But calling the event itself insignificant is absolutely ridiculous.
Oracle
I don't think hyzmarca is cynical. I think he is just a bit more rational than many people. I share his point of view. And most people who are not US Americans do.

For the record: I don't share his POV on arms.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Oracle)
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 25 2006, 11:41 AM)
You consider 9/11 insignificant?

No. The loss of life to violence is never insignificant. But the more than 4.000 civilian deaths caused by the US invasion of Afghanistan are also not insignificant.

So you're comparing a situation where the alternative is zero or at least very little loss of life (preventing 9/11 by letting law enforcement act on suspicions), to a situation where the alternative is that the Afghans remain under an extremely brutal leadership that not only terrorize its own population put also trains terrorists to attack Western civilians? Or to the alternative where US invades Afhanistan and causes 10 times the civilian casualties instead of placing their their own soldiers at "unnecessary" risk to limit collateral damage?
Smokeskin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There was more than 42,000 automobile-related deaths in the United States in 2001 but there were barely 3,000 deaths due to terrorism. In 2000, there were about 42,000 traffic deaths and there were nearly 0 terrorism-related deaths. In 1999 there were about 42,000 traffic deaths and nearly 0 terrorism deaths.

Do we see a pattern, here?

AFAIK, steps are being taken to increase automobile safety. Also, the population wants to drive and accepts the associated risks. This makes it very different from terrorism, which is something forced upon us.

Just like we take steps to increase automobile safety, we should take steps to reduce the risks for terrorism. The burden of risking that some agent looks through my mail honestly doesn't matter to me if it contributes to catching a terrorist and saving a life.

Did I ever say that the government should be complacent? No. I said that the government shouldn't treat everyone like they were criminals by default.
This issue goes far beyond terrorism. The government can't be there to protect you from every little thing. There has to be some personal responsibility. The current trend is for "nanny states" to make personal responsibility illegal and force people to rely on the police for protection. The advice "If someone murders you then you should just call the police" really doesn't work very well.

You think the people on those planes sat on their asses and did nothing to save themselves or the people on the ground. I say the politicians sat on their asses and did nothing to prevent it from the happening to begin with. Both was complacent. After people realized what was at stake, they stopped being complacent. The 4th flight, the passengers attacked (though they failed to save themselves, but at least spared lives on the ground). Likewise, the politicians have also reacted and law enforcement and intelligence agencies are now more capable to respond to the threat. Let me put it this way - I'm not content that some civilians on a plane will stop terrorists from flying into the building I'm sitting in. I'm not content that some bomb is going to blow me to pieces just because I'm at a public place. I can't do jack to defend against that, except to vote for politicians that take my security seriously.
mintcar
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 25 2006, 04:25 AM)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 25 2006, 03:50 AM)
True, but look at a modern war instead. Israel's actions in Libanon for example. Or the USA in one of their recent invations. There may still be some false pretence of playing by the rules, but if you look at the statistics of who actually dies in these wars, I think you will find that regular people in countries invaded by a legitimate nation is no better off than people in a land targeted by terrorists.

What you call a "false pretense of playing by the rules," people who know a little more might call "fighting with one hand behind our back, and getting our soldiers killed instead of their civilians." While I'll admit Israel might not mean it quite as much as the US does, we're jumping through ridiculous hoops over there, drawing out a conflict and increasing the danger to our boys in order to minimalize civilian casualties. You can call it a "false pretense" if you want, and insist those civilians are no better off because of it -- but the simple fact is if we'd been trying to kill them, an awful lot more of them would be dead.

Fine. I do realize that the US and Israel are not trying to cause as many civilian casualties as possible, but in fact are trying to do the exact opposite. Concidering the death rates, though, that doesn't seem to help a whole lot. As you say it's in fact exceedingly difficult not to attack civilians.

And further more; even though the US is not trying it's best to kill civilians, the nature of the enemy (being terrorist cells hidden amongst civilians) makes any effective method of winning one of these recent wars very harmful to the general population.

I was responding to the claim that the destinction between freedom fighter and terrorist was as simple as the difference between Benjamin Franklin and Usama Bin Ladin. In principle that may be true. But to me it seems something has changed in recent times that makes it more blurred. Terrorism seems to be the way war is waged nowadays, pure and simple. It is off course fortuante that nations with a supreme advantage in resources are pulling their punches, but to the victims it's certainly all the same.
Critias
QUOTE (Oracle)
I don't think hyzmarca is cynical. I think he is just a bit more rational than many people. I share his point of view. And most people who are not US Americans do.

I'm sorry, but I really don't see how you can be from any part of the planet that's first-world enough that you've got an internet connection, and yet say "9/11 was insignificant" with a straight face. Seriously. I'm not even saying this just as an American, or anything like that -- the simple fact you can say "9/11" and more people than not will know what you're talking about automatically disproves your "insignificant" theory, doesn't it?

I mean, if it were so insignificant, would we be having this conversation right now? Just stop and think about what you're saying for a second. While the body count might have been less impressive than many other events (both natural and otherwise), 9/11 itself, the ramifications of it, the ripples it caused, the change in the foreign policies of almost every nation on earth, the "us vs. them" mentality that we hadn't seen since the Cold War, and all the other crap it brought about -- how can anyone intelligent enough to type out a coherent sentence say "9/11 was insignificant?"
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Oracle)

For the record: I don't share his POV on arms.

It isn't cynical. It isn't rational. Rational and cynical would be killing 1,000 babies to prevent 3,000 deaths. Not wanting to prevent terrorist attacks because it requires that people will get their mail read and phones tapped (that really isn't much of a burden) is just plain careless. There are terrorists out there. They are plotting to kill people. A lot of it can be stopped. It doesn't cost lives to stop it, it hardly costs any inconvenience, except some idea that your privacy is invaded even though it'll never have any effect on your life unless you're actually plotting criminal activity.

I don't know who you mean by "most people", but you certainly don't mean Europeans. The European Union has decided on pretty much the same internal security steps towards counter-terrorism as the US. Most European governments have implemented or is implementing legislation allowing for cross-indexing of public records, getting phone and travel records from private companies, banking information, allowing for phone tapping and other surveillance, making it criminal to donate money to terrorist organisations or encourage terrorism in general, etc. A lot of this anti-terror legislation also applies to regular criminal activity. The police have much better "tools" to capture criminals than they did before.

I don't know about Australia or Japan, but I think they're gearing up on counter-terrorism too.

Outside of those places, the rest of the world, there aren't many places where the government cares the slightest about your privacy or your rights. They'll tap your phone, imprison you, torture you, and make you dissappear if they feel like it. Of course there's a chance that the people here might not like that, which is the only reason why your statement that "most people who are not US Americans" might share the point of view.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (mintcar)
Fine. I do realize that the US and Israel are not trying to cause as many civilian casualties as possible, but in fact are trying to do the exact opposite. Concidering the death rates, though, that doesn't seem to help a whole lot. As you say it's in fact exceedingly difficult not to attack civilians.

And further more; even though the US is not trying it's best to kill civilians, the nature of the enemy (being terrorist cells hidden amongst civilians) makes any effective method of winning one of these recent wars very harmful to the general population.

I was responding to the claim that the destinction between freedom fighter and terrorist was as simple as the difference between Benjamin Franklin and Usama Bin Ladin. In principle that may be true. But to me it seems something has changed in recent times that makes it more blurred. Terrorism seems to be the way war is waged nowadays, pure and simple. It is off course fortuante that nations with a supreme advantage in resources are pulling their punches, but to the victims it's certainly all the same.

It helps a lot. Western military attacks cause a lot less civilian casualties than "normal". If you think that the casualties are high in modern wars when Western military forces attack, I suggest you research the subject a bit.

Terrorists are deliberately targetting civilians, attempting to cause maximum casualites. They operate from civilian areas, using innocent people as meat shields, provoking our armed forces to attack them.

Compare this to western forces, who at great risk to themselves refrain from using many of their most effective methods to prevent civilian casualties.

There is a a huge difference in mentality here. One is a coldblooded, hateful killer. The other is a considerate, self-sacrificing soldier.

There is a huge difference in responsibility. Terrorist "armies" like Hizbollah might feel in their good right to kill Israeli civilians (which I certainly don't agree with), but they could stop hiding in their own population so there wouldn't be civilian casualties on their side at least.

That you feel that westen military also wages terrorist warfare makes me wonder if you know what the term terrorism means. Western armies are doing what they can to minimize the terror on civilians. As an ex-soldier I can't even begin to fathom that we're doing anything to harm civilians (except for some rotten apples, that you of course find among soldiers just like you do in any group of people).
LilithTaveril
I could go into a long rant and get heavily involved in this argument. I won't. I don't have the time or the energy to post a massive discussion over this. I do, however, have the time to post this.

The one ideal I've always noticed among the Founding Fathers of the U.S. is that they strongly believed that, should the need arise, the populace should have the capacity to overthrow the U.S. government. The people should have the capacity to march on the White House and kill the President on national television for tyranny if they decided to. They wanted a system where the government feared and was controlled by the people. If they saw the U.S. as it has turned into, they'd surrender to England in a heartbeat to stop it.

The most important quote I remember is "Any man willing to give up a little freedom for security is deserving of neither freedom nor security." Translation: If you think you have to sacrifice rights of the American people to make sure the nation is safe, you should be shot for treason. Period. That is the attitude that the Founding Fathers tried to make sure would survive to this day, and they would probably consider it our patriotic duty to hunt down and kill everyone in the U.S. who is willing to sacrifice the freedom of the American people, starting with the people who are closest.

That is no longer the U.S. that exists. The U.S. as it exists today is a nation that, frankly, I find to be on its last legs as an attempt at democracy. Historyically, nations like the U.S. have never maintained any form of democracy without falling apart, and most of them slowly fade from it. Given time, the U.S. will stop being a republic and start being something else. The only way to change that is to destroy the United States. People like Ben Franklin would probably argue that it is our patriotic duty as Americans to rise up, kill our government, destroy our entire political system, and start over from scratch. But then, people like Ben Franklin wouldn't even recognize the modern U.S. as being anything close to their ideal. Instead, they would be trembling in internal fear and disgust that this is what they created.

That is why I do not call myself a patriotic American. I am not willing to kill my fellow citizens in the name of preserving our nation. I am not willing to overthrow the government to preserve our nation. I am perfectly willing to sit by and watch the United States rot from the inside out as part of empirical testing to prove that democracies and republics cannot work with humans. Thus, by the very ideal of the Founding Fathers, I am probably one of the greater traitors who has posted on this thread. But, to them, everyone who has posted in support of what the American government is doing to prevent terrorism in the U.S. would be guilty of an even greater act of treason than I am. And I agree with them wholeheartedly.

Sometimes, life isn't pretty, isn't nice, and isn't how you want it to be. I want you to reflect on that as you think about what I have said.
mintcar
As a soldier you are taught to protect civilians and as a terrorist you are taught to kill them. On that level the difference could not be more clear. I'm basing my claims on what I read in the newspapers though. And from what I get reported to me, it does seem like civilian suffering and death is not lessened by the attacker being a nation. If you look at Israel and Palestine, Palestine civilian casualties are concistantly the highest as far as I know.

I would never dream of calling soldiers terrorists, that was not my intention.

I'm nurturing a suspicion that the people in power, even in our western nations, does in fact want the population to suffer and be afraid in the countries they are attacking, and see that as an important goal. Perhaps this is the terrorist's own fault for hiding behind civilians, and being so damn hard to flush out that starving and bombing a country back to the stone age is the only way to defeat them.

If the results of war is in fact horribly terrorizing to civilians, and this is the predicted outcome—I think I can get away with calling the one responsible for starting a war a terrorist, at least.
Smokeskin
@Lilith:I think you're taking the founding fathers a bit too literally. For example, a pretty basic form of freedom and security is to have an army to protect you from invasion. That of course costs money, which means that taxes have to be collected. And taxes mean that people don't have the freedom to spend their money as they wish. They don't have the freedom to not pay taxes - if you don't pay taxes, either you take away their property (violating private ownership rights) or we throw you in prison (pretty much as far from free as you can be while still breathing).

I think the founding fathers agreed with the above, even though it goes against a very literal interpretation of their words. Like many political statements it requires the application of some common sense afterwards.
JesterX
I'm I the only one who thinks that the words "Terrorism" or "Terrorists" are mentionned far too often everywhere? It's very hard those day to listen, watch or read something without those words in it.

Don't you think It's like a big trend...
Smokeskin
QUOTE (mintcar)
As a soldier you are taught to protect civilians and as a terrorist you are taught to kill them. On that level the difference could not be more clear. I'm basing my claims on what I read in the newspapers though. And from what I get reported to me, it does seem like civilian suffering and death is not lessened by the attacker being a nation. If you look at Israel and Palestine, Palestine civilian casualties are concistantly the highest as far as I know.

I would never dream of calling soldiers terrorists, that was not my intention.

I'm nurturing a suspicion that the people in power, even in our western nations, does in fact want the population to suffer and be afraid in the countries they are attacking, and see that as an important goal. Perhaps this is the terrorist's own fault for hiding behind civilians, and being so damn hard to flush out that starving and bombing a country back to the stone age is the only way to defeat them.

If the results of war is in fact horribly terrorizing to civilians, and this is the predicted outcome—I think I can get away with calling the one responsible for starting a war a terrorist, at least.

Cool mate - just thought your comment came out a bit harsh earlier, which I can see wasn't your intention, sorry if I overinterpreted it.

To the individual victims, it of course doesn't matter if you die to a massive bombing campaign designed to kill civilians or to shrapnel from a smartbomb hitting an ammunition depot in your building's basement. It does make a great difference in the number of victims. Compare to how the Americans fought in WWII. Firebombing Tokyo and several other cities with the explicit intent of creating massive firestorms to incinerate civilians. Dropping 2 nukes on cities. Simply to terrorize the Japanese into surrender, so American soldiers didn't have to die by doing it the hard way. T

I don't think there's much actual terror in today's politics. There are some who seem to want that though. Some Israeli commentators have said that Israel's problem is that they're brutal enough to create animosity, but not brutal enough to instill fear. Some American politicians have voiced the opinion that the problems in Iraq stem from the fact that so many civilians survived - had a good chunk of the able Iraqi men been killed there wouldn't be so many insurgents and terrorists, and those left would be scared and probably just concentrating on getting their country up and running and just plainly surviving (taking out a good chunk of the population creates all sorts of supply problems). AFAIK these things are merely put forward as analysis, but the idea behind it seems clear - some people are considering if this humane approach to warfare is in fact the very reason we can't seem to "win the peace" anymore. I don't know what to think of it. Even if the analysis was proven correct, I don't know what to do with that knowledge. I'm not sure I could support killing civilians even if proven to be "the greater good". The end just doesn't always justify the means.
Dog
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
I don't know what to think of it....

This is perhaps the most insightful comment yet.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Dog)
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 25 2006, 02:07 PM)
I don't know what to think of it....

This is perhaps the most insightful comment yet.

I think your comment is more insightful.
James McMurray
QUOTE ("kagetenshi")
Keep in mind, though, that I am of the firm belief that the Second Amendment exists to protect the most basic right of all people, the right to attempt the overthrow (by violence or other means) of their government

That's an entirely different debate, and one that wouldn't change any minds here if it happened. smile.gif

QUOTE ("hyzmarca")
There is only one provision of the USA PATRIOT act that deals with the sharing of information between law enforcement officers and that provision (504) is rather limited in scope.

Not true. There are also:

• Sec. 701. Expansion of regional information sharing system to facilitate Federal-State-local law enforcement response related to terrorist attacks.
  • Sec. 203. Authority to share criminal investigative information.

It is this fact, especially in regards to Israel/Lebanon that puts civilian deaths squarely in the lap of the defending "terrorists." When you hide missiles in someone's garage you do not have the right to complain when the house gets blown up. It is a terrible thing that civilian lives are being lost, but the alternative is to give in to terrorist nations' demands and find ourselves being blackmailed again and again.

The most important quote I remember is "Any man willing to give up a little freedom for security is deserving of neither freedom nor security." Translation: If you think you have to sacrifice rights of the American people to make sure the nation is safe, you should be shot for treason

We must be using a different dictionary, as I don't see anything related to execution or treason in that statement.

The U.S. as it exists today is a nation that, frankly, I find to be on its last legs as an attempt at democracy

The U.S. has been little more than a pseudo-democracy for 150 years.

I am not willing to kill my fellow citizens in the name of preserving our nation.

That's good to know. I'm curious though, who asked you to?

Sometimes, life isn't pretty, isn't nice, and isn't how you want it to be. I want you to reflect on that as you think about what I have said.

Yes mommy. wink.gif
mintcar
I will bow out now, and I would just like to add that I will take what has been said here under concideration. Simply because it is rare that I have this conversation with anybody who has a view much different than my own at heart, and therefor it has been interesting.
stevebugge
The problem of civilian deaths in war is becoming increasingly difficult to solve. Prior to World War II wars were fought primarily away from population centers, fronts moved slowly and aerial bombardment was very limited. In World War II aerial bombardment became common and thousands of dumb bombs were dropped on industrial centers (and anything that looked like one) in Europe and Japan bringing war to cities and civilian population in a way not seen since medevial sieges. As technology improved it became possible to use one or two precision bombs to destroy a target that would have required a wing of B-17s fully loaded to ensure you hit in 1944, which has reduced significantly civilian deaths in bombing campaigns. However as aerial bombardment became more effective it started another arms race between bombers and anti-air defense systems, currently bombers are in the lead. Some lower budget groups have found a third option to combat airpower, public opinion. People have less sympathy for civilians who are injured because they refused to leave the vicinity of a known ammo dump even after being warned (remember Israel went to great lengths to warn civilians to leave the area before the bombs started falling) than they do for peple killed when a school or hospital is hit. When a force decides to use public opinion as a shield they do things like set up Surface to Surface Missiles in school yards or apartment courtyards or hospital parking lots, because it's much cheaper than building hardened launchers and an air defense network. In the case of the recent Hezbollah-Israel conflict there is some evidence that Hezbollah operatives used threats to keep civillians from leaving the area prior to the bombing. Tactics like the ones Hezbollah used were also employed by Saddam Hussein during the Iraq invasion. In short the air defense option employed by the opposition has nearly as much an effect on the number of civillian casualties as the method employed to eliminate the targets being defended.
James McMurray
Don't worry. I'm sure the UN will make some sort of resolution and that'll fix everything. ohplease.gif
stevebugge
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Aug 25 2006, 07:35 AM)
The problem of civilian deaths in war is becoming increasingly difficult to solve.  Prior to World War II wars were fought primarily away from population centers, fronts moved slowly and aerial bombardment was very limited.  In World War II aerial bombardment became common and thousands of dumb bombs were dropped on industrial centers (and anything that looked like one) in Europe and Japan bringing war to cities and civilian population in a way not seen since medevial sieges.  As technology improved it became possible to use one or two precision bombs to destroy a target that would have required a wing of B-17s fully loaded to ensure you hit in 1944, which has reduced significantly civilian deaths in bombing campaigns.  However as aerial bombardment became more effective it started another arms race between bombers and anti-air defense systems, currently bombers are in the lead.  Some lower budget groups have found a third option to combat airpower, public opinion.  People have less sympathy for civilians who are injured because they refused to leave the vicinity of a known ammo dump even after being warned (remember Israel went to great lengths to warn civilians to leave the area before the bombs started falling) than they do for peple killed when a school or hospital is hit.  When a force decides to use public opinion as a shield they do things like set up Surface to Surface Missiles in school yards or apartment courtyards or hospital parking lots, because it's much cheaper than building hardened launchers and an air defense network.  In the case of the recent Hezbollah-Israel conflict there is some evidence that Hezbollah operatives used threats to keep civillians from leaving the area prior to the bombing.  Tactics like the ones Hezbollah used were also employed by Saddam Hussein during the Iraq invasion.  In short the air defense option employed by the opposition has nearly as much an effect on the number of civillian casualties as the method employed to eliminate the targets being defended.

I know it's tacky to respond to your own post, but in one last effort to retrain this towards Shadowrun there are some lessons for the gun-bunny here.

Hostage taking is a tactic employed by runners in order to protect themselves, but it's effctiveness will vary greatly depending on the opposition, for example Renraku Security may be perfectly willing to open fire on a team with a low value hostage knowing that Renraku Media will play up how the "loyal employee honorably sacrificed himself for the good of his company" while Lonestar may think twice about moving on a hostage situation in a city where their contract is on shaky ground, the hostage would at least buy time while they got instructions from higher ups.

In placing safe houses, being too far from everything but having a strong defensive set up may simply lead to an airstrike on your safehouse after you've badly torqued off Aztechnology or Ares or the Metroplex Guard. Placing your safehouse near an orphanage, school, or street mission will increase thelikelihood of an assault team being used over an air to ground missile. Just make sure you buy yourself in to the good graces of the hospital/orphanage/school so they don't have their gang or runner team of hooders clear you out.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 25 2006, 05:41 PM)
Don't worry. I'm sure the UN will make some sort of resolution and that'll fix everything. ohplease.gif

Hey, don't be sarcastic, then UN has solved a lot of conflicts like... like... someone help me out here? question.gif
James McMurray
If you find yourself in a situation where you think taking a hostage might be a good idea you've already lost.
stevebugge
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 25 2006, 07:48 AM)
If you find yourself in a situation where you think taking a hostage might be a good idea you've already lost.

True, this is (and maybe should be a new thread) for what do you do when despite your planning a run goes bad (it happens: dice favor the opposition, fatal flaw in the plan, Johnson or contact sells you out, bad intel, you glitched a legwork roll) and you are doing what you can to salavge the situation and survive.
James McMurray
Except in very restricted circumstances hostage taking is not a way to salvage the run, it's a way to get yourself even more screwed.
Smokeskin
It worked in The Negotiator!
James McMurray
True, but no matter how cool they think they are, real life hostage takers and shadowrun characters are not Samuel L. Jackson. smile.gif

Next movie he's in: The Negotiator 2

Tagline: I'm sick of all these Muthaf@#$in' hostages on my Muthaf@#$in' plane!
LilithTaveril
I stated my piece. Disagree as you will. Like I said, I don't have the time or energy to go into a long and arduous argument over it. Besides, I'm having too much fun watching people argue on here.
James McMurray
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Disagree as you will.

This is Dumpshock. That goes without saying.
LilithTaveril
Well, there's a difference between being nice and accepting that people will disagree, or pulling something like some of our members do and trolling everyone who disagrees on your way out. Like, say, when discussing encumbrance rules.
Critias
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Well, there's a difference between being nice and accepting that people will disagree, or pulling something like some of our members do and trolling everyone who disagrees on your way out. Like, say, when discussing encumbrance rules.

A difference...a difference...hmm... Oh, you mean, like, "one's funny to read, and one isn't?"

It's just fucking Dumpshock. Unwad your panties.
LilithTaveril
Oh, hey, someone assumed I was talking about them. Guilty conscience?

Hey, I wasn't making a big deal out of it. Couple of posts that amount to nothing and we move on. If I wanted to make a big deal, I'd make a topic, post example links, and make it a major discussion point.

Now, you're dismissed. When it's time for you to amuse me, I'll let you know.
Critias
QUOTE (LilithTaveril)
Now, you're dismissed. When it's time for you to amuse me, I'll let you know.

Rrwar! Rrwar! Hiss, hiss! *scratch*

You're just the life of the party, aint'cha?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Aug 25 2006, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE ("kagetenshi")
Keep in mind, though, that I am of the firm belief that the Second Amendment exists to protect the most basic right of all people, the right to attempt the overthrow (by violence or other means) of their government

That's an entirely different debate, and one that wouldn't change any minds here if it happened. smile.gif

QUOTE ("hyzmarca")
There is only one provision of the USA PATRIOT act that deals with the sharing of information between law enforcement officers and that provision (504) is rather limited in scope.

Not true. There are also:

• Sec. 701. Expansion of regional information sharing system to facilitate Federal-State-local law enforcement response related to terrorist attacks.

• Sec. 203. Authority to share criminal investigative information.

My mistake, it's a big law.

Still, 701. merely provides more funds for a system that was already in place and 203. primarilary applies to federal grand juries, part (d) of 203. is an afterthought that mirrors 504.

More importantly, 203.(d) specificly and 504. broadly states that intelligence agent can share necessary information with other law enforcement agents. Neither say that agents must share such information. So, it really leaves us in the same place. Agencies that don't want to share information don't have to.
stevebugge
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
My mistake, its a big law.

That in short summarizes the problem with the vast bulk of the work of the US Congress. The laws they pass are so long none of them ever fully read what they vote on before they vote.

I remember on particularly egregious example being the Senate voting on Ratifying GATT II, it was over 10,000 pages and they scheduled about 6 hours of debate and a vote like 3 days after it was delivered to them.
stevebugge
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Except in very restricted circumstances hostage taking is not a way to salvage the run, it's a way to get yourself even more screwed.

Yeah, frequently players/characters have trouble separating the instances where it will work from the ones where it won't, usually with entertaining results devil.gif
Butterblume
Taking the gang boss hostage might work for a long time. Taking the wage slave of a corporation hostage might kill you in the next half hour.

The morale: when taking hostages in SR4, you better know when and how to to get away.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (LilithTaveril @ Aug 25 2006, 01:28 PM)

A difference...a difference...hmm... Oh, you mean, like, "one's funny to read, and one isn't?"

It's just fucking Dumpshock. Unwad your panties.

I, personally, chuckled a great deal about your comments on the encumbrance thread Critias. I'm not necessarily saying I agree, but it was funny biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
You consider 9/11 insignificant? In terms of lives lost and economic loss?

Absolutely.

What is significant in your eyes then?

Maybe once we start losing that many people to terrorism yearly? Even then it wouldn't be very much, but at least then it'd be vaguely significant.

By that standard, any of the legislation passed to prevent terrorism is truly insignificant, invalidating your whole opposition to it.

Bullshit. One attacks lives. Lives are cheap. The other attacks rights, and that cannot be tolerated—and it doesn't just attack the rights of a few thousand people, intolerable as that is, but of everyone in the country.

How you thought this statement made any sense, I'll never know.

I really, truly think that intelligence agencies and law enforcement should be the ones who prevent terrorism. Saying that the people who were on those planes should have prevented it is quite untasteful.

You'll probably be amazed, but I totally agree. It was not the jobs of the people on the planes.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Only take hostages that the opposition isen't willing to kill to see you dead.

For example, taking a gang leader hostage works, only as long as the gang is loyal.

Taking a wageslave hostage never works unless the opposition is Lone Star, and the wageslave isen't.

Taking the president of a company hostage works 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time, the Spec. Ops are more loyal to their boss than their president.

Taking the President of the UCAS hostage is garunteed to work, but only as long as he or she's a hostage. Once they have them back safe and sound, your life is worth precisely null.

And as for terrorism and the modern military...

It is regretable that unconventional warfare specialists choose to place their listening posts and ammunition dumps and intelligence agencies on the top floors of hospitals and schools, and their portable SSM launchers in schoolyards.

Nevertheless, our primary obligation is to ensure the safety of our own civilians, our secondary obligation is to ensure the completion of the military goal, our tertiary obligation is to ensure the safety of our soldiers. The enemy's civilians rank 4, and the enemy's soldiers rank as an "If you think you can take 'em alive, good luck" bonus.

The lives of unconventional combatants should be forfiet by default.

Sadly, to ensure obligations 1 through 3, 4 must frequently suffer. This would not be the case had the enemy the moral fortitude to back their moral outrage at our way of life, and had the good decency to build their military targets away from population centres.

Sadly, this is not the case. Hezbollah kept crying "Full on war! Full on war!" So where were their airfields and motor pools, where were their ammunition dumps and compounds? Where were their launch sites?

If you said "Out in the middle of nowhere, where any responsible military puts them, so as to keep civilians out of harm's way", you are a loser. Bzzzzt!

If you said "Smack in the center of civilian areas, where you can't attack them with even the most precise weapons without generating civilian casualties", then you win the 10,000 nuyen.gif prize.

That's what Isreal and the United States is facing. Against such foes, only three options practically present themselves:

1) Capitulate to their demands.
As has been proven in the past, this seldom works, and it inevitably leads to the recurrance of the situation which allowed demands to be levvied.

For example, this is nowhere near the first time Hezbollah alone, not to mention many other orgnizations, have kidnapped Israeli soldiers and civilians, and demanded the release of extreemist prisoners in return. For example, I don't remember the correct date or time, so I can't cite it, but I remember clearly reading that one time Isreal traded 400 prisoners for three dead soldiers and a live bisunessman.

You give a rat a cookie, and he's gonna want a glass of milk.

2) Attack them as best you can, without producing undue danger to civilians. This is the option America and Isreal have adopted. Unfortunately, it's the second most dangerous, after capitulation. And it generates more media outcry. (Vietnam, anyone?) Which is ironic, since D-Day alone generated more Allied casualties than the whole Tet offensive, and all of Vietnam was like a slow month during World War II.

3) Overwhelming force with no regard to enemy civilians. This is the easiest, safest, and sure-firest way to prevent terrorism. Forget a ground war, just unleash as many FAEs, ultra-high-yield conventional explosives, and nukes as you can on your enemy. Wipe them off the face of the earth for their insolence in daring to attack you, and the next guys may think twice. If they don't, do it again, and the third guys will almost certainly think twice. If they still don't, keep repeating it until they either beg for peace, or you've run out of bad guys to nuke.

Obviously, number three raises some really big moral issues. But it will stop the terrorism.

Number one won't stop the terrorism at all, and in fact encourages it. But when they can continue to extort you, they probably won't try to slaughter you en masse.

Number two is the most moral option, but it's also (predictablly) the hardest. You have their civilians hating you for every civilian that accidently dies, you have your civilians hating you for every soldier that dies trying to prevent undue deaths to the other guy's civilians. You're trapped in a holding pattern with your soldiers unable to leave or the terrorism starts up again, with your soldiers dieing trying to prevent it, and their civilians dieing when you do prevent it.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Smokeskin)
It doesn't cost lives to stop it, it hardly costs any inconvenience, except some idea that your privacy is invaded even though it'll never have any effect on your life unless you're actually plotting criminal activity.

You mean like how Steve Jackson Games experienced hardly any inconvienience? What about that guy just in the news who was held for years without any charges being put against him?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
That's what Isreal and the United States is facing. Against such foes, only three options practically present themselves:

1) Capitulate to their demands.
As has been proven in the past, this seldom works, and it inevitably leads to the recurrance of the situation which allowed demands to be levvied.

For example, this is nowhere near the first time Hezbollah alone, not to mention many other orgnizations, have kidnapped Israeli soldiers and civilians, and demanded the release of extreemist prisoners in return.

I'm going to agree with this with one caveat.

The exchange of extra legal prisoners and intelligence agents charged with espionage for extra legal prisoners and intelligence agents charged with espionage is perfectly reasonable. It is, in fact, a common way of doing business in conflicts and has been for quite some time.

We send back their POWs and they send back our POWs;everybody saves face.
It is the way things have always worked.

We send back their spies and they send back our spies; everybody saves face.

We send back their civilians and they send back our civilians;everybody saves face.

The big problem here is that this works best when both sides are nearly equal. When the two sides are so lopsided, the larger and more powerfull side will actually lose face in an equal prisoner exchange. Other than that, there is no moral problems with it so long as those released are agents or citizens of the beligerant power who are being held without charges (POWs, Unlawful Combatants) or agents of the power who have been charged with espionage in the course of performing their duties as a result of those duties.
Of course, making major political, military, or economic policy changes as a result of hosgate-taker demands is foolish. Likewise, so is releasing more hostages than are being returned.

Smokeskin
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Aug 25 2006, 07:34 AM)
It doesn't cost lives to stop it, it hardly costs any inconvenience, except some idea that your privacy is invaded even though it'll never have any effect on your life unless you're actually plotting criminal activity.

You mean like how Steve Jackson Games experienced hardly any inconvienience? What about that guy just in the news who was held for years without any charges being put against him?

On your scale of inconvenience, how does that classify against something like 9/11? Madrid bombings? London bombings? The recent attemt at blowing up several planes between Englang and the US?
ShadowDragon8685
Aaaah.

"The ends justify the means."

No, they do not. 9/11, Madrid, and London are all tragedies, but tragedies perpetuated by criminals. This does not give the government the right to begin stripping away the lives of our citizens willy-nilly.
Smokeskin
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Aaaah.

"The ends justify the means."

No, they do not. 9/11, Madrid, and London are all tragedies, but tragedies perpetuated by criminals. This does not give the government the right to begin stripping away the lives of our citizens willy-nilly.

Stripping away the lives of citizens are a gross overstatement.

Seriously, do you think the rest of the judicial system doesn't convict innocent people? You think cops never shoot the wrong guy by accident? This isn't about ends justifying the means, it's about that mistakes happen whatever you do. When the mistakes are miniscule compared to the intended effects, you stick with the program.

Tell me, is it only counter-terrorism you want to have a perfect track record, or do all institutions have to meet that standard before you will support it?
ShadowDragon8685
You don't quite seem to understand there, smokey.

Lemme lay it out for you. Yes, police are going to make mistakes, and maybe a jury will even convict an innocent person.

But in the face of terrorism, the response is not to systematically destroy those things which make our way of life unique! Osama bin Laden won 9/11. He changed America, and not for the better. While G. Dubyah beat on his war drum chanting 9/11, and the Patriot act was rushed through congress and anyone who opposed it was branded Anti-American...

Osama has won. He destroyed the freedoms that he hates in America so much.

That's NOT what we want. When we have people who want to look up information for something so innocent as a role-playing game, but afraid to do so for fear of getting on a government watch-list created to watch terrorists... Osama has won! When RPG companies are raided and everything they have siezed without warrent or Warrent... Osama has won! When innocent men are grabbed at a border and detained for five years without being charged, Osama has won!

And especially when the government begins instituting Orwellian policies that allow them to listen in and read your emails and correspondances and monitor your phone calls... Osama has won.

You don't see to understand what kind of a society these things breed. How far of a step is it from watching for people mentioning the president and explosives to grabbing them? The last I checked, this was still a free country. Saying "George Bush is the worst president ever, and I hope someone kills him" is constitutionally-protected speech. But in today's society, people are afraid that if they do that, five guys in a black van are going to grab them off the streets, haul them to an unnamed detention center, deny them access to a lawyer, and strip away their lives.

That's not right!

And further, how far is it from policing for 'terrorism' is it to adding a clause to police for other words? Like say, I dunno. "Gay pride". "<Insert name of oil company here>." "<Insert name of every senator here>." "Jew." "Nazi." and so forth and so on?

When does it end? The answer, is that if you permit it to start, even for the most urgent of goals, it never ends.

That is why we had systems of checks and balances in place. That is why the government coulden't simply beat in your door and take your stuff without a warrent.

Without these kinds of checks and balances, our society CRUMBLES! The American way of life is American in name only and no more, and Osama bin Laden has won!

Is that what you want?
Critias
I wouldn't go so far as to say Osama's "destroyed our freedoms." If things were as bad as some people like to paint them, we couldn't be having this conversation right now, safely.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Critias)
I wouldn't go so far as to say Osama's "destroyed our freedoms." If things were as bad as some people like to paint them, we couldn't be having this conversation right now, safely.

How do you know we are having this conversation safely?
Critias
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Aug 26 2006, 03:41 AM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Aug 26 2006, 04:24 AM)
I wouldn't go so far as to say Osama's "destroyed our freedoms."  If things were as bad as some people like to paint them, we couldn't be having this conversation right now, safely.

How do you know we are having this conversation safely?

Uhh, all the people criticizing the gov't haven't been whisked off by men in shades and black suits, in the middle of the night, yet? And neither have all the rest of the criticizers, in the last five years?

Seriously. If shit was as bad as people like to think, do you really think Cindy Sheehan would still be pushing air past her teeth right now? Or would "Camp Casey" have been wiped out by black-clad commandos in the middle of some cold Texas night, a couple years ago?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012