Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is magic broken?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
Is magic broken? As it is, spirits will wipe out anything without Manabolt, and magic can duplicate almost anything anyone else can do.

Then again, it is a huge karma sink.
Critias
I'm curious as to why the two people who've voted "yes" thus far -- or, really, the two that voted "no" for that matter -- haven't posted anything to back up their sentiments.
2bit
Some specific things are broken, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

and what's with you and polls?
emo samurai
A more pertinent question would be "What's with you and magic." And the answer is "It is 73|-| 4vv350|\/|3."

As for polls, I'm a populist. Not.
Thanee
No, magic is not broken. And no, spirits do not wipe out everything (unless you use double digit spirits all the time).

A typical spirit of reasonable force is quite defeatable by a mundane.

Bye
Thanee
Kremlin KOA
Magic is most certainly broken

if you do not believe me, then look at the effect of using a spirit of man for this simple trick

let it know a couple of spells you know (say armour and increase reflexes)

have it sustain them on you and maybe have it maintain concealment on oyu

make this puppy force 6 or so and you are a better sammy than the sammy, faster than the adept and tougher than the troll

add in the fact that you are better than invisible and things get truly disgusting.

EDIT: oh and before anyone mentions about the spirits as sustaining foci have the whole force reduction and angry issues... that is if it sustains a spell YOU cast... it is only sustaining a spell IT cast
Teulisch
spirits do have a check and balance- this is cost and services.

each trick a spirit does is a service. that costs you. and a spirit can be banished, removing it from the equation. banishing uses fewer resources than sumoning the spirit.

as for duplications- how many spells can one mage cast and maintain at a time? how long does it take the mage to go from no spells up, to being equal to a sam? how many times can that sam shoot him in that time? magic can do a lot, but its not all powerfull. mages are weaker when suprised. magic takes a lot of preperation to do properly. it can be just as expensive as a sams cyber, if not more so.

now, the real question comes down to, do you understand the many weaknesses of magic? all the ways a smart sam can geek the mage who IS ready for him?
FrankTrollman
A big enough Sprite can wipe out anything that doesn't have an Attack program, I'm not sure how that's different. Does that mean that Hacking is "broken" because spirits can't do anything about it?

-Frank
Kremlin KOA
for those in thew shadowrunning busines, attack programs are far more common than having the ability to counter the spirit trick mentioned above
DireRadiant
Guns have no drain!
Kremlin KOA
So? you can't shoot what you can't see
James McMurray
Yes you can, assuming you have a reason to believe it's there. Blind fire is a hefty -6 penalty, but it is possible.

Also the "guns have no drain" comment is generally used to show that combat spells are not stronger than guns. Since you can shoot at things you can't see but cannot cast at them (except for the higher drain elemental attacks) that reply actually backs the position.

"Guns have no drain" says nothing about the power of noncombat spells, which is generally what people look at when deciding if magic is "broken" or not.
Shrike30
Scoped Panther Assault Cannons are broken. They can be fired at you from further away than almost any other weapon, meaning that the average character can't shoot back! That's so unfair!

Magic does some annoying shit, but it's not broken. As a GM, I'd say I have to work harder keeping the game's magic-opposing stuff in line than I do keeping almost any other aspect of the game in line, but this doesn't mean it's broken, just a PITA.

I am glad that the telecommuting mage has gotten less practical.
Eryk the Red
I haven't had too many problems with magic. Sometimes the group's mage walks all over stuff, sometimes he falls unconscious from drain. Sometimes he gets really frustrated because he's not sure why he can't seem to get Control Thoughts to work (he always picks the best protected ones to use it on). Magic is powerful at times, but it's also risky business. I like that. It keeps him on his toes. (Well, the fact that they were ambushed and nearly killed by a mage no more powerful than any one member of the group also keeps him on his toes.) Magic's not broken, it's dangerous.
Thanee
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Guns have no drain!

Sure, they got ammo drain... biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
JonathanC
QUOTE (Teulisch)
spirits do have a check and balance- this is cost and services.

each trick a spirit does is a service. that costs you. and a spirit can be banished, removing it from the equation. banishing uses fewer resources than sumoning the spirit.

as for duplications- how many spells can one mage cast and maintain at a time? how long does it take the mage to go from no spells up, to being equal to a sam? how many times can that sam shoot him in that time? magic can do a lot, but its not all powerfull. mages are weaker when suprised. magic takes a lot of preperation to do properly. it can be just as expensive as a sams cyber, if not more so.

now, the real question comes down to, do you understand the many weaknesses of magic? all the ways a smart sam can geek the mage who IS ready for him?

I think any mage worth his/her salt will have an armor and increased reflexes spell (the mage one is likely to have enough hits to give them four initiative passes, more than most street sams) on sustaining foci. Good luck getting the drop on them.
JonathanC
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Guns have no drain!

Right, but guns, on average, dont' do nearly as much damage to as large an area as the average combat spell cast by a competent mage. There has definitely been a shift towards Awakened characters being stronger in the more recent rulesets, 3rd edition included. I run a game with 6 players. Each player, upon looking at the rules, chose some form of Awakened, except for two of them (a hacker and a street sam). The street sam is regularly matched in combat by the pistol adept, and the mage is very powerful. There are too many loopholes. You can basically summon an infinite number of spirits to kick someone's ass as long as you're far enough away to make it a remote service, so the spirit no longer counts against the limit of spirits you can conjure at once.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 6 2006, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 6 2006, 04:49 PM)
Guns have no drain!

Right, but guns, on average, dont' do nearly as much damage to as large an area as the average combat spell cast by a competent mage. There has definitely been a shift towards Awakened characters being stronger in the more recent rulesets, 3rd edition included. I run a game with 6 players. Each player, upon looking at the rules, chose some form of Awakened, except for two of them (a hacker and a street sam). The street sam is regularly matched in combat by the pistol adept, and the mage is very powerful. There are too many loopholes. You can basically summon an infinite number of spirits to kick someone's ass as long as you're far enough away to make it a remote service, so the spirit no longer counts against the limit of spirits you can conjure at once.

If you allow this, then I would want guns that don't run out of ammo, nor ever jam!
JonathanC
Allow it? It's RAW. Guns have ammo, ammo costs money. Conjuring is free. And assuming you've got the dice and can resist the drain (not hard to figure out a decent stat build for this), there's no rule that I know of to prevent this.
ShadowDragon
I think overcasting to summon spirits is broken, but that's easy enough to houserule (note that I don't yet have Street Magic). Combat spells aren't any stronger than bullets and grenades, and most other spells can be countered with tactics and gadgets.

I voted no.
JonathanC
Combat spells aren't stronger? Get serious. Compare magic to a reasonably sized gun...lets say an ingram smartgun. Damage rating of 5p. Load it with EX-EX and burst fire, and you'll drive that up to 9P, plus hits (reduced by the defense test of the target), that then gets sent up against ballistic armor + BODY. Ballistic armor being the type that most people will have the most of. Now, try casting a manabolt at force 6. 6P, plus hits (there will be plenty of those), hits that won't be reduced by any dodge tests. I've almost never seen a force 6 spell get fewer than 3 hits, so that's at least 9P that goes up against Willpower (a stat that almost nobody uses for anything but resisting magic and Black IC) ALONE. No armor whatsoever.

Even if you go with an indirect combat spell like fireball (which can be used without LOS), you're still going up against Body + half of impact armor, way better than you'll get with a bullet (gel rounds go against impact armor, but add +2 to the armor rating). Combat spells are much, much better than bullets.
Mister Juan
Emo likes the polls.

No pun intended. nyahnyah.gif

Anyways; I don't believe magic is "broken" in any ways. Yes, it can be terribly powerful, but it's a double edge weapon. Very powerful magic can kill you really fast... and that works both ways: for the target and the caster. It's also a huge karma sink and being a mojo slinger usually means people will try to kill you first wink.gif

It's not broken, it's just extreme in all it's advantages and disadvantages.
ShadowDragon
Casting a spell is a complex action. Shooting a burst is a simple action. IMO, a manabolt is stronger than a single burst, but not two.

Another point is that a 6 magic mage isn't going to have the body or edge attributes that the sammy has due to karma costs, so those bursts are going to be harder to resist than you imply.
James McMurray
Bullets also don't cause drain.

Magic and guns are about equal in my experience, with guns coming out slightly ahead (mostly because of the ability to fire twice per round). Where magic pulls ahead is in miscellaneous effects. Guns have a lot lower ability to take over someone's mind. smile.gif
WhiskeyMac
Actually, they do take over someone's mind and then blow it out of the back of their skulls biggrin.gif Bullets can take over pretty fast on full auto. I wouldn't say magic is broken just powerful, as it should be. It should also be rare but that's up to each GM.
JonathanC
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Casting a spell is a complex action. Shooting a burst is a simple action. IMO, a manabolt is stronger than a single burst, but not two.

Another point is that a 6 magic mage isn't going to have the body or edge attributes that the sammy has due to karma costs, so those bursts are going to be harder to resist than you imply.

A strong manaball will do more damage to more people than any full auto burst. It can cover a much wider area.
James McMurray
If you're talking about area spells you have to look at grenades and missiles, not bursts. Grenades are fairly comparable to the various ball spells. Exactly how well they compare depends on how you interpret the rules for dodging them.
Metasigil
But, firing off a pair of frag or HE grenades will probably do as much if not more damage, especially if you can manage to pull off the chunky salsa effect. Remember, Spell Casting is a Complex Action, so its power level should be compared to the effects of either a) another Complex Action or b) two Simple Actions devoted to offense.
JonathanC
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If you're talking about area spells you have to look at grenades and missiles, not bursts. Grenades are fairly comparable to the various ball spells. Exactly how well they compare depends on how you interpret the rules for dodging them.

Grenades don't explode until the end of the round. In a game where almost everyone has 3 initiative passes, that thing is never going to kill its intended target. A manaball goes off immediately, and is a much safer bet. Add in the utility of the other spells, and the extra manpower added by conjuring, and the scale tips heavily in favor of magic over tech in Shadowrun. Unlike drones, you never have to buy a spirit, or even repair it. And unlike cyberware, there isn't really a machine that detects being Awakened. Magic is just a better deal.
Toshiaki
QUOTE (JonathanC)
Allow it? It's RAW. Guns have ammo, ammo costs money. Conjuring is free. And assuming you've got the dice and can resist the drain (not hard to figure out a decent stat build for this), there's no rule that I know of to prevent this.

While you are correct that there are no rules to prevent it yet, I recall that one of the authors/freelancers who worked on that section has commented on the boards that spirits on remote services are intended to count against your limit, and that this will be reflected when the FAQ is released (if the FAQ is released).

Armed with that knowledge, you are perfectly free to go ahead and implement it in your games, as many have already done. No reason to follow a rule that only came into being because it wasn't editted carefully enough.
James McMurray
It's also a lot cheaper (in terms of BP) to have versatility through your grenades with stun damage, physical damage, chemicals, and vision blockers (IR smoke is really fun).
JonathanC
QUOTE (James McMurray)
It's also a lot cheaper (in terms of BP) to have versatility through your grenades with stun damage, physical damage, chemicals, and vision blockers (IR smoke is really fun).

You can't match the versatility of magic, though. Flight, invisibility, protection from magic (magic is the only protection from magic, while you can protect yourself from bullets and explosives more effectively with magic than tech and armor), illusions, instant healing that far outstrips a medkit, and of course the powers that spirits can provide.
James McMurray
Right, I said that earlier. smile.gif

I'm specifically talking about the versatility of grenades vs. magical booms. Magic has more versatility with the oft-maligned elemental effects, but it's much more expensive in terms of build points to cover multiple bases of area attacks.
JonathanC
I don't know...you only have to buy an area effect spell once. You'll be buying grenades for the rest of your career. Just sayin', I think magic has outstripped tech in SR4, and that was even before Street Magic came out. I hope Arsenal and the Cyberware book kind of set things back into balance, but I'm not holding my breath.
Dr. Dodge
QUOTE (Toshiaki)
QUOTE (JonathanC)

While you are correct that there are no rules to prevent it yet, I recall that one of the authors/freelancers who worked on that section has commented on the boards that spirits on remote services are intended to count against your limit, and that this will be reflected when the FAQ is released (if the FAQ is released).

Here's the link for that thread about unlimited remote services
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...remote+services

QUOTE (JonathanC)
I don't know...you only have to buy an area effect spell once. You'll be buying grenades for the rest of your career. Just sayin', I think magic has outstripped tech in SR4, and that was even before Street Magic came out. I hope Arsenal and the Cyberware book kind of set things back into balance, but I'm not holding my breath.

But you pay for that AE spell every time you cast it with drain. It seems like a lot of magicians seem only to cast on perfect sunny days in the middle of a vacant lot 5 feet from the intended target, gotta remember those visibility modifiers. Also as we all know, manaballs only affect those who were in LOS. Also also, last time i checked there was a lot of ambiguity about indirect spells in SR4, has it been spelled out that they CAN affect targets outside of LOS?
James McMurray
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 6 2006, 06:31 PM)

One manaball costs 15 3BP, or the equivilent of 15,000 nuyen.gif. For that much money you can get fifty of each non-gas, non-flashpak grenade and still have 6,250 nuyen.gif left to buy flash paks and gas grenades with. For most runners that is more than a lifetime supply. And you haven't even bought a physical spell (effectively another 15,000 nuyen.gif), or an elemental spell (effectively another 15,000 nuyen.gif).
JonathanC
15BP? How so? Spells don't cost 15BP per spell. Unless you're counting the stats or skill, which really shouldn't count, unless you want to compare the cost of buying high agility/combat skills, which will be comparable.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (JonathanC)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Sep 6 2006, 10:52 PM)

Grenades don't explode until the end of the round. In a game where almost everyone has 3 initiative passes, that thing is never going to kill its intended target. A manaball goes off immediately, and is a much safer bet. Add in the utility of the other spells, and the extra manpower added by conjuring, and the scale tips heavily in favor of magic over tech in Shadowrun. Unlike drones, you never have to buy a spirit, or even repair it. And unlike cyberware, there isn't really a machine that detects being Awakened. Magic is just a better deal.

Grenades explode immediately when shot from a grenade launcher. And for 2000Y you can get a launcher at chargen that fires 2 per IP. Thrown grenades explode on the next IP, not the next round.

Manaball requires LOS to all targets. Grenades can be thrown/shot around cover.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (JonathanC)
15BP? How so? Spells don't cost 15BP per spell. Unless you're counting the stats or skill, which really shouldn't count, unless you want to compare the cost of buying high agility/combat skills, which will be comparable.

He meant 3BP, which is worth 15000Y
James McMurray
Doh! What ShadowDragon said.
cx2
Ares alpha anyone? I'll have to check and see if it can be fitted with an airburst link wink.gif

No denying that magic isn't perfect, but then again not many things are in life.

And I'm certain there's plenty of tools available to GMs to help tone down the effects of magic. Ultrasound goggles, pressure sensors, security mages or adepts, etc.

Plus if you throw up a smoke grenade enemy magic will have a hard time, whilst you can still shoot or throw/launch grenades through. Might get penalties, but penalties are better than not being able to do it at all.
JonathanC
I still think the magic is a better investment. Awakened characters have superior upgrade options, while anyone using cyberware has severe limits on how much they can upgrade. Not to mention, adding more cyberware makes it more difficult for that character to heal due to essence loss (to say nothing of the cyberzombie effect). And mages are the only character type who can easily start the game with four initiative passes.

Plus, grenades lose strength immediately as soon as you leave the point of impact. A manaball/powerball/ball lightning spell remains as potent as ever, regardless of distance.
James McMurray
The airburst link is a smartgun accessory that doesn't take a mount. So yep, give your alpha an upgrade. smile.gif

Visibility modifiers apply to spellcasting, so if there's a smoke grenade in the area spellcasting will be at -4 dice. Unless you've got thermal smoke and the mage is using thermographic vision he won't be stopped from casting.
James McMurray
Walking around with sustained spells isn't as easy as it sounds. Wards, random astral entities, and patrolling spirits will take interest.

A manaball/powerball/ball lightning spell remains as potent as ever, regardless of distance.

Which is a huge area generally. This means that unless your mage is leading the charge he's probably nuking his friends. Area attacks of any sort can be hard to use with friendlies around. The huge radius and ease of targetting makes area spells harder to avoid friendly fire with.
Gort
Also keep in mind that walking around with sustained spells leaves your astral signature behind for Force hours. Easy to follow such a person and do horrible things to them.
Slithery D
QUOTE (Gort)
Also keep in mind that walking around with sustained spells leaves your astral signature behind for Force hours. Easy to follow such a person and do horrible things to them.

I don't agree with this. I'd always considered signatures to remain where the spell is actually cast.
Cognitive Resonance
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Actually, they do take over someone's mind and then blow it out of the back of their skulls biggrin.gif Bullets can take over pretty fast on full auto. I wouldn't say magic is broken just powerful, as it should be. It should also be rare but that's up to each GM.

My main problem with magic is as follows:

Your sammy and your mage both try to bring a weapon onto a bus.

Likelyhood someone on the bus knows what a normal pistol is (even has a chance to detect hidden)
100%

Since useful mages make up so little of the population, likelyhood someone on the bus knows he's packing mana, (and most people have no chance to detect until he starts casting).
Much smaller.

Basically I've ruled that the average person absoutly hates mages because they see them all as invisible walking bombs.
mallet
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Walking around with sustained spells isn't as easy as it sounds. Wards, random astral entities, and patrolling spirits will take interest.

Yah, this is one of the biggest drawbacks of a mages with a sustaining habbit.

Most places of value (ie, the target of any shadowrun) will have wards up around the goodies so a mage will have to drop the sustaining spell to pass through undetected (and then do a whole recast on the other side of it) or "fight" his way through the ward which will set off all type of astral watchers and alarms.

Plus, as James said, sustained spells are like a fraging big spotlight on the astral plane pointing everyone and everything towards the mage. In any type of stealth mission a mage with sustained spells is a major drawback and will probably get the team geeked.
mallet
QUOTE (Slithery D)
QUOTE (Gort @ Sep 7 2006, 12:14 AM)

I don't agree with this. I'd always considered signatures to remain where the spell is actually cast.

Obviously you don't have to agree with this, and can rule how you like in your game, but as far as I understand the rules the Astral Signature is like a trail (or a scent if that is a better analogy) that lingers around all magical characters. The more stuff you have (magic items, sustained spells, etc...) means the scent is stronger and lingers around long after you leave the area, no matter if is where you cast the spell (although that might be the strongest spot) or where ever you roam afterwords.
Slithery D
QUOTE (mallet)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Sep 7 2006, 12:16 AM)
QUOTE (Gort @ Sep 7 2006, 12:14 AM)

Obviously you don't have to agree with this, and can rule how you like in your game, but as far as I understand the rules the Astral Signature is like a trail (or a scent if that is a better analogy) that lingers around all magical characters.

Less obviously, this was an implied invitation for everyone else to pile and tell you you're wrong, but, of course, you can rule however you like.

The more stuff you have (magic items, sustained spells, etc...) means the scent is stronger and lingers around long after you leave the area, no matter if is where you cast the spell (although that might be the strongest spot) or where ever you roam afterwords.

This, at least, is completely without any basis in the rules even by implication or extrapolation. Even if you allow astral signatures to be mobile and only start to run after a spell sustaining ends, force, rather than quantity, determines how long signatures last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012