Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *POW* *KRAK*
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Urba|\|inja
Title says it all...

For me, you just can't compete with Capoeira. (aka "Spinny Tarzan Jujitsu" in the words of Sean William Scott grinbig.gif)
TinkerGnome
Are you talking SR-wise or RL-wise? They're vastly different wink.gif
Kagetenshi
IRL, my favourite right now is my chosen style, Kenpo. That may or may not change as I learn other styles, but I somehow doubt it will.
In Shadowrun, Pentjak-Silat all the way.

~J
Snow_Fox
I did kenpo in college- very good for women.
I have a special fondness for aikido, even better for women since it uses balance and leverage more than force.
Shadow
The realist in me says Karate. Strait forward and incredibly powerful in the right hands. The cinamatic in me says Escrima, boy it looks so cool!
Tziluthi
Jujitsu's pretty good, but the SR rules are unfavourable to it. Tae Kwon Do looks interesting as a long form martial art, for the flying kicks if nothing else. Also breaking stuff with bare hands. That is Tae Kwon Do, right?
Siege
Yes, Tae Kwon Do does emphasize breaking techniques -- boards, rock and bones.

I suppose I don't have a "favorite" style as I subscribe to the "universal concept" theory.

That being said, I've studied Judo, Coung Nhu, Tae Kwon Do and a smattering of this and that.

I want to study Muay Thai and jujitsu provided I can find the time and money.

-Siege

Edit: Other styles do "break" techniques -- Karate is fond of breaking boards as a test of strength and so on. Tae Kwon Do is one of the few styles to have it incorporated as a philosophical approach -- the story being fighters had to be able to punch (or kick) through the wooden armor of the period. And the vast plains filled with horse-mounted warriors gave rise to the emphasis on the kicking techniques.

Urba|\|inja
No more Capoeira? frown.gif Come on guys... think Eddy from Tekken! Breakdance fighting almost! nyahnyah.gif
Siege
I've seen Brazilian Caepoeria (pardon the misspellings) and I also know that the rare school in or near Atlanta doesn't even come close.

The technique/style doesn't appeal to me as anything but an exercise form -- but that being said, I don't discount the effectiveness of a style that doesn't match my taste.

-Siege
Munchkinslayer
Jeek Kun Do (sp), developed by Bruce Lee is totally open ended. It can adopt whatever works from any style. Bruce Lee even studied fencing and used techniques he learned from that and translated them into his unarmed style. However just for shear brutallity Muay Thai gets my vote. Just freakin' nasty. For an armed style I'd go with Kali, even the "sports" version that uses sticks is viscious. Just think if they used knives.
John Campbell
Broadsword and shield. biggrin.gif
BitBasher
RL? AKKI Kenpo. I love it.
Seville
I prefer airstrikes myself.
k1tsune
My only real experience is with Taekwando, with the occasional forray into something else when someone's around to teach me, but I'm decently experienced in that.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Seville)
I prefer airstrikes myself.

Feh! Typical response from the Chair Force. nyahnyah.gif I don't know, there's always just something really satisfying about artillery barrages in my opinion. That or MLRS in a pinch if there's nothing better. biggrin.gif
Dim Sum
QUOTE (John Campbell)

Hahaha, sorry, I just found this hilarious inserted in here. Good one, Mister. Campbell. nyahnyah.gif

As to favourite martial arts: in SR, I'd go with Pentjak Silat. IRL, goju-ryu works best for me as it's the most practical fighting form geared towards real life unarmed combat that I've personally learned.

I tried aikijitsu (the fighting form of aikido), taijitsu (the unarmed techniques of ninjitsu), wing chun, silat, and tae kwon do before settling on Goju-ryu. All of them didn't cut it for me because:

(a) the guys purporting to teach aikijitsu and taijitsu were full of crap - like real capoeira, it's almost impossible to find instructors in the real McCoy these days (hehehe, yeah, yeah, especially ninjitsu and all that jazz - hey, I was young and impressionable then! biggrin.gif ).

(b) TKD is very good for sport but unless you're taught real life applications for it AND truly master it at its higher/highest levels, you're just going to get yourself killed thinking you can whoop ass with what you learn in class.

© wing chun is fast, fluid, and can be explosively elegant but it has too many trappings of tradition to make it an effective fighting form in real life unless you learn real life applications. I guess the event that really turned me off was when a whole bunch of kung fu exponents (including some top notch wing chun fighters) got their butts kicked in record time when they fought muay thai boxers during a no-holds barred tourney organised by the kung fu community in order to show the world that they were the best. biggrin.gif

(d) pentjak silat in its true form (if you learn from a bomoh in Malaysia or Indonesia) is terrifying but I couldn't hack it 'cos it involved a lot of black magic (whether or not you believe in it) and that was something I was NOT about to mess around with.

For me, muay thai learned in Thailand, as opposed to kickboxing, is still the most effectivel martial art in the world today - I just don't have any desire or inclination to put myself through the brutal training regime to become good at it. Until I learn something else, [/I]goju[I] is a close second. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm not dissing anyone or the martial arts they practise. Just adding my 0.02 nuyen worth.
Siege
Ya know, I think almost everyone has heard a version of the "kung-fu versus muay thai" story.

-Siege
Dragoonkin
I like Unarmed Combat. That's my favourite.
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Siege)
Ya know, I think almost everyone has heard a version of the "kung-fu versus muay thai" story.

-Siege

Hiya, Siege.

Yeah, I think that story made headlines in the martial arts community around the world. I was actually there for the first tournament but didn't bother to attend the second one (all the kung fu guys cried foul over the first one and demanded a re-match - same results). I grew up on kung fu and really thought highly of the art (in its various styles) till that first meeting with the muay thai fighters. I was in my early teens then so I hadn't seen anything like muay thai ... gawd, it was an eye-opener.

Years later, I still have a great deal for people who practise kung fu: my Dad did qi gong, my Mom did tai chi, and my brother did White Crane kung fu but when people ask me, I tell them that it's great for health and competition, not for real life situations.
Siege
I make reference of this because I heard something similar 10 years ago from a local competition.

I don't doubt the accuracy of the event -- for the same reason that most boxers win against karate students. Muay Thai is simple and half of the "martial art" is the physical training regimen. Which is lacking from a number of contemporary schools. (IMHO)

It reminds me of the urban legend of either:
a) robbers hitting a diner near the CIA, FBI and two other government agencies. Guess where a lot of agents went for lunch?

b) robbers who walk into a cop bar, owned by a former cop and frequented by a lot of off-duty cops.

I'm sure this has happened, but the story has taken on a life of it's own.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
On a side note, while I wouldn't recommend it for punches until much later, brick walls make great things to practice your kicks and palm-heel strikes against. Only problem is that you may feel a lot less effective than you actually are once you start hitting human targets...

~J
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 21 2003, 05:28 AM)
I make reference of this because I heard something similar 10 years ago from a local competition.

I don't doubt the accuracy of the event -- for the same reason that most boxers win against karate students.  Muay Thai is simple and half of the "martial art" is the physical training regimen.  Which is lacking from a number of contemporary schools. (IMHO)

I agree completely about the incomparable physical training that muay thai fighters go through. Nothing else (that I've seen, at any rate) comes close. That's what I meant when I said I had no desire/inclination to undergo such a punishing training regimen in order to excel in the art - and you do have to go through it to become a good muay thai boxer.

The training acclimatizes a muay thai boxer to real pain. In many of the cases, they deaden/de-sensitize their pain receptors in areas such as their shins, forearms, etc. so they don't really feel the pain when they strike or are struck. The closest I've seen to that was in my dojo and a handful of other schools in which the instructors understood the value of this and tried to incorporate it into their classes for people who turned up 4-5 times a week to train. Even then, my sensei acknowledged that it was NOWHERE NEAR real muay thai training.
Siege
I clarified because it sounded like I was casting aspersions on your story and that wasn't my intent.

As for "good", that's relative. I will never step into a Muay Thai ring with the expectation of being a professional fighter.

But I would like to round out my skill with knees and elbows, not to mention shin and thigh kicks.

-Siege
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Siege)
I clarified because it sounded like I was casting aspersions on your story and that wasn't my intent.

As for "good", that's relative. I will never step into a Muay Thai ring with the expectation of being a professional fighter.

But I would like to round out my skill with knees and elbows, not to mention shin and thigh kicks.

-Siege

No problem - I didn't think you meant any disrespect (and even if you did, it's no skin off my back biggrin.gif ).

With regards to muay thai strikes (knees, elbows, shins): you and me, both, mano.
Digital Heroin
Jeet Kune Do... that'll get my vote... Bruce wasn't just about the movies, he was pure, true, and effective as a martial artist. He knew his shyte...
El_Machinae
The last time I almost got into a bar fight, my girlfriend threatened to sue the guy.

That's worked WAY better than all the martial arts I've studied. OR, as a friend once said.

"I won my last fight by three blocks" cool.gif
Neon Tiger
In real life, I like Sambo. Why? Because the basic principle in sambo is:

If you kill a man in battle, you remove one enemy. If you crush a his both legs, you'll remove three enemies; your victim plus 2 guys carrying him away. biggrin.gif

I only have very little experience in RL martial arts, about a years worth of karate classes.

In SR, I like any martial art with Close Combat manouver. Nothing says "Frag your troll with polearm" better than Close Combat. biggrin.gif
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Jujitsu's pretty good, but the SR rules are unfavourable to it. Tae Kwon Do looks interesting as a long form martial art, for the flying kicks if nothing else. Also breaking stuff with bare hands. That is Tae Kwon Do, right?

Yes. There are two problems with TKD.
1)It uses strength, if your lacking in it, you aren't going to hit as hard and need something like judo or aikido that use leverage.
2) It is less efficent up close. when I was in college a friend of mine was going out with a munchkin who had just got his black belt and he was spouting off. Well we talked about practical uses and one of our group siddled up and said, well what do you do when a mugger get here?
The munchkin declared "well I'd back up and ...." we weren't listening because no mugger was going to let him back up once they were close enough to grab him.

If you can pick your shots, it can be devistating but someone can pick the range, you lose most of your armament. With judo, inclose is where it's most effective and if someone hold back out of reach, well, you're out of their range too.
SykoBear
I know Kung Fu, Jeet Kun Do and a bunch of other Chinese words. Does that count? biggrin.gif

Sorry it had to be done.

On a more serious note, does anyone have anything to say about the "created" styles that I see on UCL, eg Gracie Jujitsu?
Siege
Urgh, argh.

It is undeniably effective, however it moves away from the basic principles established in traditional styles and turning it into a sport.

So I don't hold it in especially high regard for that reason.

All styles were created, but not all of the "modern" styles are sport-oriented, although some may be less kill-specific than others. Krav Maga, for example, is a modern martial art that has its history in "military hand to hand" training that has been developed into a distinctive style in and of itself. Which, by the way, is kill-specific and highly linear.

Hot Wheels is right in that no one style addresses every possible scenario. Tae Kwon Do wasn't developed with the idea of self-defense or grappling concerns.

"Modern" styles are taking advantage of this new thinking in "universal approaches" -- examples include self-defense classes, military hand-to-hand and "no nonsense" forms like Krav Maga.

-Siege

Edit: Key areas are:
ranged combat (punches, kicks, strikes, etc.)
grappling (holds, throws, locks, sweeps, escapes, etc.)

And philosophical approaches to scenarios and situations.
Thanos007
On a more serious note, does anyone have anything to say about the "created" styles that I see on UCL, eg Gracie Jujitsu?

All styles were created and to look down on the more recent ones is to limit yourself.
Not saying they all work or are all good but you do have to start some where. Also as to the Jeet Kun Do question. It is not an art it is a phillosphy, where by you take the bits and pices of other arts that work for YOU. I've studied TKD, shoulin kung fu, and Kune Tao. Some realy nice RL techniques in all of them. Some not so. I take the ones that work for ME most of the time. Not all techniques work for me and with all the veriables that happen in a fight they don't work all the time. On the other hand some do.

Thanos
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Hot Wheels)
when I was in college a friend of mine was going out with a munchkin who had just got his black belt and he was spouting off. Well we talked about practical uses and one of our group siddled up and said, well what do you do when a mugger get here?
The munchkin declared "well I'd back up and ...." we weren't listening because no mugger was going to let him back up once they were close enough to grab him.

I hate it when people who don't deserve their belts get them.

~J
Tanka
In the forms of actual sadisticness: The Dim Mak side of Ninjutsu.

In the forms of raw power and ouch: Muay Thai

In the forms of making your foe going "What the frag?!": Monkey Kung Fu

In SR: Brawling with a barstool. biggrin.gif
krishcane
I'm impossibly biased, given that I occasonally instruct To-Shin Do. Clearly, it gets my vote. One of the top reasons is that similar to Jeet Kune Do, the identity of the art revolves around a philosophy of experimentation and incorporation, rather than a certain set of techniques, and so we adapt well to new techniques and styles that appear as history marches on. Unlike Jeet Kune Do, we benefit from the fact that our founder and visionary is still alive and training, so we don't have the fragmentation, in-fighting, or potential for well-intentioned but inexperienced instructors. At least for now... Stephen Hayes won't live forever, so we'll face that issue eventually.

--K
Cain
There is no ultimate martial art, only ultimate martial artists. In the final test, what matters is how good the fighter is, and not the style he's using.

Muay Thai fighters tend to be nasty and masochistic. I've met about three people who've claimed to have studied "real" Muay Thai; I tested each of their claims by asking if I could hit them in the shins with a board. Two ended up chickening out. For the third guy, I ended up with a broken board.
Cray74
QUOTE (Urba|\|inja)
Title says it all...

For me, you just can't compete with Capoeira.  (aka "Spinny Tarzan Jujitsu" in the words of Sean William Scott grinbig.gif)

I tend to pick tae kwon do, to be uninspirational.

However, I've been tempted to pick "Kirk Fu Do," just to get those cool haymakers and double-fisted back smashing attacks Cap'n Kirk always used.
TheOneRonin
Having trained in Muay Thai in highschool and through college, I can put in my two cents about it. First off, my instructor was a US Marine that spent years in southeast asia...thailand mostly, but other places as well. The training regimen he went through there WAS very brutal. However, when you are starting a school in the US, you can't exactly do things that way. Having had many friends involved in several other martial arts styles, I would said the Muay Thai that I learned was certainly more physically demanding in it's training (left class DRENCHED in sweat every time), but there was also an intense level of aggression required to make it effective. Those things combined make it a very effective martial art when it comes to practicality. But that's nothing every experienced boxer doesn't already know. When we would get in the "ring" to spar (all padded up, at least for the lower belts), it was three minutes of beating....no breaking after solid hits, no "excessive force".

You guys are right about the toughening exercises. These included kicking everything from sandbags (beginners) all the way up to monjon <sp?> dummies (advanced). We took turns beating each other with medicine balls, and other large, blunt objects. To this day, I barely have any feelings in my shins at all. biggrin.gif Although, I can't tell you for sure how much of that was traditional, or just the result of the twisted mind of a sadistic ex-marine.

However, I will say this...like any styles out there, it isn't perfect. We never did any serious grappling, and did very little groundfighting. Luckily, I was able to pick up those skills from other styles along the way.

One more thing, Pekiti-tersia kicks a$$. Knife fighting with those guys is pure suicide.
k1tsune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Like me? But they took mine away 'cause I took an.. extended haitus. Yep. I am lame and proud of it.
Kagetenshi
Wasn't your fault, it was the instructor's/school's. 'Sides, you're still ranked fairly higher than me smile.gif

~J
Backgammon
QUOTE (Dragoonkin)
I like Unarmed Combat. That's my favourite.

LOL!

I do capoeira IRL, so obviously that's my favorite! For those asking, no, capoeira isn't very useful in a fight. It *can* be pretty brutal, especially in brazil, and some schools teach a more "combat" oriented style, but most of the schools (including mine) teach a no-contact version that I would not attempt to use in a street fight. You gain good reflexes, acrobatics and grace, which is nice to have, but, a person with 5 years training in karate is gonna kick the shit out of someone with 5 years training in capoeira.

Still, we capoeiristas have way more fun doing our stuff than most other forms of martial arts. I sure as hell prefer singing and dancing with hot chicks than bowing all the time and saying Hai! Hai! Domo!
John Campbell
QUOTE (Dim Sum)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Oct 21 2003, 02:27 AM)

Hahaha, sorry, I just found this hilarious inserted in here. Good one, Mister. Campbell. nyahnyah.gif

I wasn't really joking. Too many people overlook the Forgotten Martial Arts of the Mysterious West. There's a general perception that because the Western arts are less formalized and less exotic, that they're somehow more primitive or less effective than the Eastern arts. Broadsword is as much a martial art as kenjitsu or escrima or any kung-fu weapons style, and it takes just as much training and skill to do right. It's not just shaggy barbarians bashing each other until someone's armor fails.

And it's a very effective style, and one that I'm quite good at.
L.D
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Oct 21 2003, 10:51 PM)
[snip]but, a person with 5 years training in karate is gonna kick the shit out of someone with 5 years training in capoeira.

Not necessarily... BUT when fighting with Capoeira you really need a lot of space. I used to train Jiu-Jiutsu at the same place where I'm now training Capoeira and the Capoeira class is much smaller because we need so much more space.

Now put the Karate-guy and the Capoeira-guy in a small corridor and the Capoeira-guy is most likely toast in about 5 seconds.

Still, we capoeiristas have way more fun doing our stuff than most other forms of martial arts. I sure as hell prefer singing and dancing with hot chicks than bowing all the time and saying Hai! Hai! Domo!

Oh, yeah! There you have it. grinbig.gif
Siege
Broad generalizations notwithstanding, you'll get a better physical conditioning with a good Cap school than you will with Karate.

Which can make up for a lot of weak techniques.

-Siege
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Oh, they deserve it, Kage. Everyone earns exactly as much as they have learned. So, in Hot Wheels' example, that TKD guy learned to do some fancy moves flashy enough to earn a black belt and how to shoot his mouth off. biggrin.gif

I knew a guy who just couldn't stop bragging about his prowess in hand-to-hand 'cos he had a black belt in TKD. One day at a bar, some two-bit neighbourhood ganger didn't like all the hot air and told the loudmouth to split. As you can imagine, Mr. TKD got all truculent, pulled a pose and egged the ganger on to fight him. The ganger, a skinny little shrimp, just picked up his beer bottle and smacked over Mr. I-Have-A-Black-Belt's head and that was the end of it.

If you've ever been in a true-blue brawl in real life and tried the bottle stunt, you'll know it takes quite a lot to break a beer bottle on someone's head (not like in the movies, bubba). This bottle smashed over Mr. TKD's head, creating a bad gash, and the ganger proceeded to kick the shit out of the prone guy. Had to be pulled off and restrained till the cops got there.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that the guy probably did deserve his black belt after learning all the requisite techniques. He could probably hold his own in a controlled match environment one-on-one but out on the streets ...?
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Cain)
There is no ultimate martial art, only ultimate martial artists. In the final test, what matters is how good the fighter is, and not the style he's using.

That's completely true. For example, Bruce Lee was an excellent innovator but ALL four of the Jeet Kune Do practitioners I've met to date are nowhere near close to his open-mindedness and don't live up to the legacy Lee left behind.

No martial art has consistently produced the world's best martial artists so I guess that's also a telling fact. Every martial art has its pros and cons, some more than others. I don't hold with learning a bit of the best of everything - that just makes for a lame ass fighter who doesn't have a good foundation to use what the most appropriate response in any given situation.

I do firmly believe that some martial arts are better than others in general. I know we all have our own biases but IMHO, the existing martial arts out there that don't deal with countering other than their own "type" of fighting (eg. strikers vs. grapplers) will eventually burn out if they don't evolve. To me, if you want to be able to FIGHT FOR REAL, the best that you can do today is learn a martial art with a healthy (perhaps proven) history of success that encompasses various aspects of real no-holds barred combat. Learn it and master it.
Siege
How many people think along those lines? How many people are aware enough to ask themselves, "How practical is this? Can I use it to defend myself?"

Never mind the, "Why am I really studying this style?"

People are creatures of habit and tend to buy into concepts without realizing the facts behind those concepts.

When asked "why are you taking this class?" a common answer is, "to defend myself."

Then ask them, "what does that mean?" and watch their reactions.

-Siege
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Siege)
How many people think along those lines? How many people are aware enough to ask themselves, "How practical is this? Can I use it to defend myself?"

Never mind the, "Why am I really studying this style?"

People are creatures of habit and tend to buy into concepts without realizing the facts behind those concepts.

When asked "why are you taking this class?" a common answer is, "to defend myself."

Then ask them, "what does that mean?" and watch their reactions.

-Siege

Hehehe, couldn't agree more! The very first day I started goju, my sensei asked that question of the newcomers: "Why are you here?"

The answer from those who had not learned martial arts previously was invariably: "To learn to defend myself." They got the shock of their lives when the sensei shredded those ideas there and then - they were all made to UNDERSTAND that if they continued with the dojo, they were there to learn how to FIGHT, pure and simple - kick guys in the goonies, gouge eyes, bite ears off, whatever it took to get OUT of a fight on YOUR TERMS. Goju would simply lend them the methods, techniques, instincts, and aggression to do it.

It was a rude awakening for 9 out of 10 newbies and the attrition rate in the dojo was about 90% every year because people came in with fancy ideas of learning how to become Jackie Chan, Jean-Claude van Damme, Bruce Lee, Wong Fei Hung, [insert colourful martial artist here], etc..
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Dim Sum @ Oct 21 2003, 11:45 PM)
Anyway, what I'm saying is that the guy probably did deserve his black belt after learning all the requisite techniques. He could probably hold his own in a controlled match environment one-on-one but out on the streets ...?

I'm speaking from the distinct bias of my own school, of course, but at the place where I trained he would not have been considered to have deserved a black belt. To me being a black belt implies a few things:

1) fairly good combat ability
2) the ability to continue one's own training effectively alone or at different schools; the ability to effectively incorporate new techniques without being shown how to do it by an instructor
3) the ability to judge one's own combat ability, not assume that one's belt will dazzle and amaze people so much that they will fall down at a punch.

So while he may have completed the requirements for his belt at his system, I happen to think a black belt actually means something, and thus don't consider him to have earned one.

~J

edit: Siege, the ability to defend myself means the ability to cause sufficiently massive harm to an opponent quickly enough to prevent them from causing harm to me. In some cases, this means the ability to cause rapid death to the opponent, though that should not be a desired outcome.
Do I pass?
BitBasher
Actually my AKKI kenpo class starts with 20 minutes of hard cardio on heavy bags and ends with full contact 3 minute rounds against anyoen and everyone thats there, whether they are the instructor or a fellow student. From what you guys say that's not normal? having taken no other organized martial arts I have nothing to compare it to first hand.

We Never point spar, dont gove a rats ass about tournaments that do, and every 2nd wednesday of the month os open fight night, anyone in any dojo on LV can come and go 3 minute rounds with us. You guys seem to make that sound abnormal. nyahnyah.gif

[edit] and you have to fight for the upper belts. no freebies.[/edit]
Siege
Mostly rhetorical question Kage, but here goes:

You are aware you may be gouging eyes, shattering windpipes, crippling people by crushing their instep, the bridge of the foot, shattering the knee?

I'll assume the answer to that is "yes", so yes -- you indeed pass.

And Bit? That is highly unusual. I've seen a lot of "dojos" that did light exercise (light being relative here) and move on to learning technique.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012