Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Dragons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Draconis
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 3 2006, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Eben McKay)
Maybe not, but I'd like to think so! biggrin.gif

I see it as the ennui of immortality. Which those pesky Vampire players are always trying to roleplay. sarcastic.gif

here's my opinion on the matter, which i will defend as fact to my last breath: GDs and IDs are major players in the world, with lots and lots of powerful enemies. they can't afford ennui; they've got to be on top of their game all the time, or some other player is going to jerk the rug out from under them and maybe even kill them. the immortals who would succumb to ennui have already done so, and are either immortal bums living a life of immortal drunken poverty, or are already dead.

I don't believe that. I mean we're not talking machines here. Real people feel emotions, have regrets, abhor change, memories linger.
Even Loftwyr probably misses the old days now and then and Dunkie even if he didn't agree with him.

I think the strong immortals occasionally have ennui now and then, it's just that it doesn't last very long or affect their "A" game as it where. Or they're just damn good at concealing it.
ChicagosFinest
Harlequin is the most powerful caster on the planet with initiation in double digits. Remember the highest mortal initiate I've heard of is 10. Maybe Harlequin has other points deadicated to skills in general (knowlege and action skills) after all they had to have kep up with technology or even trend setting it (Leonardo) themselfs. D&D and shadowrun that comparison cant be made. People are constructive during their time weather mortal or imortal.

Dragons in the down time could have been astrally exploring, planning, pursuing their own agendas. Basically imortals have to adapt they live through and past everything.

Now the question is how do you kill the IE's? Is it a reference to highlander I see?
mfb
QUOTE (Draconis)
I think the strong immortals occasionally have ennui now and then, it's just that it doesn't last very long or affect their "A" game as it where. Or they're just damn good at concealing it.

i don't mean they don't have regrets. like you said, i just don't think it stops them from doing things with their lives.
FrankTrollman
Well, Dunkelzahn was apparrently awake for part of the down cycle, and this in no way prevented him from spending some time drowning his sorrows in booze, collecting novelty popcorn, and generally making an ass of himself when he thought the other immortals were distracted. Harlequin is the most powerful magician on the planet - and he seems to have spent about a thousand years doing a sad clown impersonation singing songs for alcohol.

The more we know about the immortals, the more they just aren't that amazing. As magical theory advances, it catches up with draconic and immortal magic at a frightening rate. Sure, Harlequin has been doing magical research for like 6000 years. But there are seriously over 6000 magical researchers on the planet today - they put in more man hours researching magic in one year than Harlequin has put in his whole life.

The population of Earthdawn was really small compared to the population of the sixth world. There were less potentially powerful creatures back then on demographics alone. The leftovers have a huge head start, but not an insurmountable one. You could probably kill Lugh Surehand with a correctly colored Laser - he never lived in an era where that kind of attack was even possible and he has no defense against it. Underneath all his magic, he's just a man.

Want to get rid of Surehand for good? Say it with me:

A Ki Raaaaa!

-Frank
Draconis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Well, Dunkelzahn was apparrently awake for part of the down cycle, and this in no way prevented him from spending some time drowning his sorrows in booze, collecting novelty popcorn, and generally making an ass of himself when he thought the other immortals were distracted. Harlequin is the most powerful magician on the planet - and he seems to have spent about a thousand years doing a sad clown impersonation singing songs for alcohol.

The more we know about the immortals, the more they just aren't that amazing. As magical theory advances, it catches up with draconic and immortal magic at a frightening rate. Sure, Harlequin has been doing magical research for like 6000 years. But there are seriously over 6000 magical researchers on the planet today - they put in more man hours researching magic in one year than Harlequin has put in his whole life.

The population of Earthdawn was really small compared to the population of the sixth world. There were less potentially powerful creatures back then on demographics alone. The leftovers have a huge head start, but not an insurmountable one. You could probably kill Lugh Surehand with a correctly colored Laser - he never lived in an era where that kind of attack was even possible and he has no defense against it. Underneath all his magic, he's just a man.

Want to get rid of Surehand for good? Say it with me:

A Ki Raaaaa!

-Frank

So you're saying Harlequin invented emo? grinbig.gif
mfb
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

but those six thousand researchers aren't sharing with each other. they don't all benefit from every hour of research that each has performed. ten guys who are all experts in different subjects are not as impressive as one guy who's an expert in all of those subjects.
ChicagosFinest
But do you look at it as an education standpoint? Having lived longer makes them way more well rounded knollege wise than those researchers who spend night and day on one project.

For example... I could be in my lab all day working on the coolest mojo that does x,y,z mechanically while harlequin could do it with just the x. Why? Because he has had a longer time to observe differant magic and learn about various traditions. They may not no everything but they know a lot more about things than they let on. Harlequin may be surprised by the invention of the lazer and not have a defence for it but I'm sure he knows the general theory of how one works and who might try and use one aginst him.

It's like the notion that whatever idea you thought about odds are someone has thought of it first type scenario. What would be original to Harlequin if he has kept up with the times noting, thats why my spell i spend all that time in a lab trying to make seem cool wont work against him.
fistandantilus4.0
Another way of putting it is that those 6,000 researchers are are pretty much starting at at the same point. Yes, they together would all be doing a year of researhc equalling 6,000 years. But that's the same thing as saying that 12 1st graders would collectively know as much as a high school senior. Sure there are the permafried exceptions, but those 6,000 researchers are still learning Harlequin's A,B,C's. There are going to be new things H hadn't considered. Example : in ED there was no straight out "Heal" spell. You had to be a questor of Garlen to do that. Things do change, there will always be innovation. Wasn't it somewhere in the 40's when someone was quoted as saying "we might as well close the patnet office, everything that could be invented already has". Or somethign to that effect
[ Spoiler ]
Draconis
You guys are too literal. I think Frank is simply talking about man hours of research not skill. Yes Harly is bad ass but he's no god. Hell 12 of those 6,000 researchers could be completely nuts and making good progress in a line of research old H would never even have considered or considered as unworkable.

If you have some highly specific research goal, yes you want Harly on your team. He'll probably have some idea of getting there. You want R&D grinding you go with the 6k guys.

Oh and speaking as a researcher here in silicon valley myself I'll take the 6,000 guys that are moderately skilled and working on completely different lines over one prodigy any day.

Draconis
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Nov 3 2006, 09:46 PM)
Another way of putting it is that those 6,000 researchers are are pretty much starting at at the same point. Yes, they together would all be doing a year of researhc equalling 6,000 years. But that's the same thing as saying that 12 1st graders would collectively know as much as a high school senior. Sure there are the permafried exceptions, but those 6,000 researchers are still learning Harlequin's A,B,C's. There are going to be new things H hadn't considered. Example : in ED there was no straight out "Heal" spell. You had to be a questor of Garlen to do that. Things do change, there will always be innovation. Wasn't it somewhere in the 40's when someone was quoted as saying "we might as well close the patnet office, everything that could be invented already has". Or somethign to that effect
[ Spoiler ]

Heeey exactly. Great minds and all. wink.gif

Btw my topic was supposed to be about dragons. How the hell did we get to IEs?

fistandantilus4.0
That always happens when you talk about great dragons. Go check out the "Great Dragons" thread for example.

If you want a list of things "they" can do and "you" can't, I'd suggest checking out the Shadowland site. Ellery had a neat list of Metamagics over there.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (ChicagosFineset)
Harlequin is the most powerful caster on the planet with initiation in double digits. Remember the highest mortal initiate I've heard of is 10. Maybe Harlequin has other points deadicated to skills in general (knowlege and action skills) after all they had to have kep up with technology or even trend setting it (Leonardo) themselfs. D&D and shadowrun that comparison cant be made. People are constructive during their time weather mortal or imortal.

Dragons in the down time could have been astrally exploring, planning, pursuing their own agendas. Basically imortals have to adapt they live through and past everything.

Now the question is how do you kill the IE's? Is it a reference to highlander I see?

Yeah, IEs and Great Dragons are kind of joined at the hip. Talking about oen will almost always spill into talking about the other.

Let's say, just to amuse me, that we used teh cap of 6 (9) in magic for humans, 7 (10) for Elves, and 12 (18) for Great Dragons. Let's further suppose that Immortal Elves have a magic rating of 8 (12), and that any of them could take the Magical Apptitude (Magic limits is +1) Quality thing.

What you get are human magicians who top out at Grade 9, with the Black Lodge guy getting a 10 because he's all Prodigy and such.

You get Elves stopping out at 10, where they can be all Princely over people and snoot.

You get IEs at Magic 12/Initiate 12, who know stuff that no other magician knows, and Harlequin, a Magical Prodigy IE, who has 13/13 and is thus the most powerful Magician around, one who can shake hands with a Dragon and get away with it.

You get the normal dragons, all in the 7-12 range, then the Great Dragons who could be as much as Magic 18/Grade 18 Initiates, which gives them power levels so high that they might as well not even have stats. A couple (Dunk and Lung) probably have Magical Prodigy as well, pushing them to the 20/20 level where they just kinda *drip* with magic.

Creates a nice platform.
hyzmarca
18 magic is not so high that they might as well not have stats. It isn't even high enough to reliably stop a Main Battle Tank if you convert some SR3 vehicles to SR4 stats.

Really, if you can potentially kill a GD by hacking into a Thor-Shot then they aren't ultimate NPCs (lets face it, any half-decent hacker with a satellite uplink some rating 6 programs could steal a thor shot).
Wakshaani
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
18 magic is not so high that they might as well not have stats. It isn't even high enough to reliably stop a Main Battle Tank if you convert some SR3 vehicles to SR4 stats.

Really, if you can potentially kill a GD by hacking into a Thor-Shot then they aren't ultimate NPCs (lets face it, any half-decent hacker with a satellite uplink some rating 6 programs could steal a thor shot).

Thor shot'd kill any dragon.

Heck, they *nearly* got Alamais with a laser. He escaped by teh skin of his teeth. (My Edge! YIKES!!! *burnburnburn*)

It's a dragon, not *Superman*. smile.gif
Xenith
What stops someone from killing a Dragon/Immortal Elf, even most other Dragons?

Retribution. And centuries of continuos paranoia. Stats are not always needed to be uber. Killing people/things has repercussions. I know several ways for a single Devil Rat to kill a troll.

PS I want to see an immortal ORC, damnit. Elves are so overdone I feel like making stirfry.
eidolon
QUOTE (Xenith)
What stops someone from killing a Dragon/Immortal Elf, even most other Dragons?

Retribution. And centuries of continuos paranoia. Stats are not always needed to be uber. Killing people/things has repercussions. I know several ways for a single Devil Rat to kill a troll.

PS I want to see an immortal ORC, damnit. Elves are so overdone I feel like making stirfry.

Nah, it's not retribution that stops them from being killed.

It's the silly need for Invincible Plot Hammers™.

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wakshaani)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 4 2006, 12:42 AM)

Really, if you can potentially kill a GD by hacking into a Thor-Shot  then they aren't ultimate NPCs (lets face it, any half-decent hacker with a satellite uplink some rating 6 programs could steal a thor shot).

Thor shot'd kill any dragon.

Heck, they *nearly* got Alamais with a laser. He escaped by teh skin of his teeth. (My Edge! YIKES!!! *burnburnburn*)

It's a dragon, not *Superman*. smile.gif

A plot device laser fired by plot device characters.

Would you let Butch and Sundance kill the Bolivian Army with a Thor Shot?

Another thing to consider is that IEs and dragons don't have Initiate Grades the way normal magicians do. IEs have Circles in various Disciplines and I can't fathom what dragons have.
kzt
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Would you let Butch and Sundance kill the Bolivian Army with a Thor Shot?

No, but Butch and Sundance were the unstoppable heroes, who made one minor mistake and ended up facing a lot more than they thought.

Which in SR, IEs & GDs would just win the fight in that instance.
knasser

One of the principles of Shadowrun is the Eggshells armed with Hammers style of play. I.e. people (and dragons) are often able to dish out far more damage than they can take. I'm going to repost my comment from a thread a while back to show why I think Great Dragons don't have to be invincible to match the fluff. It was in response to someone who asked if great dragons weren't that tough then how come one managed to hold off the frigging Tir army.

QUOTE (knasser)
This is all off the top of my head as I haven't thought it through in any detail. But for some starting ideas:

Let's give the GD, Magic 12, Will and Logic 13, Spellcasting 10, Conjuring 8 as per the BBB.
Great Dragons are also undoubtedly powerful initiatiates. I'm going to give this one a plausible Initiate grade of 8. Some would say this takes her magic up to 20, some would say it doesn't. I'm going to compromise for the sake of example and say she's boosted magic by just four points, so magic 16. The BBB does say that the statisitics are guidelines so I don't think Magic 16 is contestable.

Now what can we do with all this and a little preparation time.

Great dragon has given herself quickened Armour and quickened Deflection (SM). I could use foci or sustaining spirits, but what the heck. If a multi-millenia old dragon doesn't have a few karma to spare, no-one does. Lets cast them both at Force 20 and some of that nice old edge. Say I get 13 successes. That's a nice 13 points of ballistic and impact armour on top of the 12 points of hardened armour she already has, rendering her immune to small arms fire. I can assume the same scores for my deflection spell giving me a +13 dice pool modifier for turning aside ranged shots of any sort. Basically, Ms. Greta Dragon is unconcerned with even most air to air missiles. If I want to round it out, and I think a great dragon involved in such a massive operation as preparing to take on an army would, I might get me an improved invisibility spell that no-one short of Harlequin is going to penetrate, and certainly no technological sensors. A spirit can sustain that if I want. You'll note that no-one has a hope of dispelling these quickened spells.

Now the morale effects of a dragon you can barely hurt are going to be pretty severe on any army. But I haven't even touched on offensive capability, yet. If I want to do a basic full-frontal attack (which I don't, but more on that later), then I can rain down Force 10 manaballs at 4 per round (of course I have 4IP) with minimal chance of drain. Heck - drop it to Force 7 and discount drain altogther. I have LOS range and over the course of an hour ( 1200 combat turns ) can probably decimate an army.

Of course, I'm not going to be anywhere near that direct. I have a Logic of 13 (twice that of the world's smartest man), and the ability to disguise myself (Masking through up wazoo) and go anywhere as anyone. I'm going to spend the whole day wandering from platoon to platoon Mob Minding, Influencing, assasinating and generally wreaking havoc. Heck, I'm a super-genius-ultra-spy-mind-controlling-impersonator with spirits at my command. I can probably have every access code and communication channel in an hour. And it takes time to mobilise an army so let's face it. This has already been done.

And then just to round it out, there are the big things. You know, Force 8+ Great Form earth and air spirits bringing vast regions to a halt with Storm power and Quake power.

Heck - I don't have to stop the army. I just have to scare the shit out of them. They wont get far when none of them can reach the upper command because I ate them. biggrin.gif

But the nice thing is, that a well-prepared team with the drop on that dragon probably could kill her. It's just incredibly difficult to get that drop on her. Strategy, planning and tactics. That's what Shadowrun is about.
Dissonance
I am vaguely reminded of the rules nonsense from SOTA 2063, now. In that one of the tanks in that book could absolutely butcher the damage code, given how vehicle limbs did damage.

It ended up that the only thing that could kill the aforementioned tank with arms was another tank with arms. As for the actual amount of damage the thing did? I can't remember the exact figure, but 140 seems to be sticking out in my mind.
Ophis
QUOTE (Xenith)

Well one certainly existed in ED, Garlthrik who wasn'r dying because he was afraid to. The Earthdawn Journal had an adventure where you fetch an amulet that preserves mental faculties for himto stop him going senile. I seem to be the only person who thinks he survived to SR and is calling himself Adam Alone, a famed ork artist, who among other stuff introduced Nadja Davier to Dunk.
knasser
QUOTE (Ophis)
QUOTE (Xenith @ Nov 4 2006, 04:35 AM)
PS  I want to see an immortal ORC, damnit. Elves are so overdone I feel like making stirfry.

Well one certainly existed in ED, Garlthrik who wasn'r dying because he was afraid to. The Earthdawn Journal had an adventure where you fetch an amulet that preserves mental faculties for himto stop him going senile. I seem to be the only person who thinks he survived to SR and is calling himself Adam Alone, a famed ork artist, who among other stuff introduced Nadja Davier to Dunk.

Becasue he was afraid too? rotfl.gif That's priceless! I love it.
Ophis
Yeah, he was always my favorite ED NPC ruled Kratas (a theives city) and ran the best spy network in Barsaive, I always thought that he was the "Brightlight" mentioned in the azzie book. There is a stark resemblance between Adam Alone (pictured in a colour section in the SR2 BBB) and Garlthrik pictured in the ED mainbook. I seem to be alone the belief he survived into SR times, AH says there isn't enough evidence.
eidolon
Hey Ophis, could you tell me where I might find SR references to Adam Alone? You've got me interested. Unfortunately, I gave all of my ED stuff away to a friend as a birthday gift a few years ago, so I can't really chase down stuff on Garlthrik. (Yes, another one of those "well, I never thought I'd need it/use it" moments. frown.gif)
ChicagosFinest
Im surprised he did not get a little more face time. Thats a big contrast to those wacky elves! Maybe hang out in the troll kingdom or something
Triggerz
Eidolon, if your birthday's coming soon, I would use lots of winks, elbows and other such forms of subtle guidance to let your friend know that if he or she is not using those books anymore, they might constitute a nice gift idea. grinbig.gif

[EDIT: And then you can fight over the books because he doesn't want to give them to you, and you think that he shouldn't be such a jerk because it's your birthday and he shouldn't keep all the good stuff to himself. Then one of you will die and the other will slowly lose his mind over hundreds of years as he tries to figure out the hidden connections between ED and SR. nyahnyah.gif ]
Ophis
QUOTE (eidolon)
Hey Ophis, could you tell me where I might find SR references to Adam Alone? You've got me interested. Unfortunately, I gave all of my ED stuff away to a friend as a birthday gift a few years ago, so I can't really chase down stuff on Garlthrik. (Yes, another one of those "well, I never thought I'd need it/use it" moments. frown.gif)

Crap there's a challenge, he's "photoed" in SR2's color section (the culture on in the magic chapter) and mentioned in the Dunk write up by Tom Dowd that appeared in Dragon about ten years back and was reprinted in, I think, Super Tuesday. Thats about it, i think. Mostly I work from two very similar pictures on in the ED first ed book aty the start of the GMs section (again I think) and the aforementioned SR2 piccie. Not much at all to go on but the idea of an immortal Ork thief turned artist. The Alone name(should have an accent on the e, so read as A-Lon-ay), I think ties in with Garlthrik being the big solitary, selfish thief,only caring about himself.
ChicagosFinest
Bring that big ol pimp back into writing I remeber the picture your talking about

EDIT [ HEY WAIT A MINUTE, was he that ork in dunkies will that was going to be lynched? We never did get the ending to that one ]
eidolon
@Triggerz

Thanks for the laugh. .....and I'll be in touch. wink.gif

@Ophis

Thanks. I like it.
Ophis
Well if I ever live the dream of writing canon SR material I'm bringing the old boy back.
fistandantilus4.0
I think he would be interesting to bring back, but really, a similar looking picture (and yeah, I know bot hof the ones you're talking about) really is nothing to go on. Ever seen a picture of the same person look the same in another artist's version in a game book ? I sure haven't. Maybe you should check to see who the artists were.
Ophis
Both by Joel Biske, I think. It seems to be a JB squigglle on the ED one, but the sig on the Sr on is different. I don't claim the pictures are proof, they are just close enough to make me suspicious.
fistandantilus4.0
That's what I figured. It makes sense if they look the same if it's the same artist. Also, can you think of any other plot seeds that are in the pictures only? Besdies that, all you really have is "Nadja was introduced by an ork". If I was an immortal ork thief, I would tend to stay away from Great Dragons that I probably stole something from before. Hell, just on principal. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'd actually like it. I just don't think the pieces quite fit.
Draconis
Besides aren't there enough immortals already? I personally wouldn't mind SR4 shifting away from gods among men. They don't elicit awe merely contempt.
ChicagosFinest
Do the imortals war with each other? when they fight is it like highlander where you take their head and get there power? It would be interesting t see the immortals fight it out in the shadows and in person.
fistandantilus4.0
When they do, it's more ritualized, and through proxies (read:shadowrunners) usually. Check out the Adventures Survival of the Fittest and Harlequin if you can find them for good examples. Awesome runs to boot.
mfb
QUOTE (Draconis)
I think Frank is simply talking about man hours of research not skill.

yes, but man-hours of research has--not to be unduly harsh--no actual bearing on the topic, which was 'how magically powerful are GDs and IEs?' FrankTrollman's point was that GDs and IEs aren't necessarily all that powerful (or at least, that they're not unbeatably powerful) because the sum of their magical knowledge can be reproduced by a bunch of less-powerful mages. and while it's true that their knowledge can be reproduced and even surpassed by the world's population of magical researchers, not one of those researchers will have consolidated as much magical knowledge--or, rather, magical power--as a single IE or GD.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
When they do, it's more ritualized, and through proxies (read:shadowrunners) usually.

for several examples of not-usually, check out just about every action Lofwyr has taken agaisnt another immortal. Lofwyr actually strikes me as one of the easier immortals to take down, because he's so... active. he takes risks and acts openly, where most of the others hedge their bets and work behind the scenes--even Harlequin.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 4 2006, 03:41 PM)
Do the imortals war with each other?  when they fight is it like highlander where you take their head and get there power?

If you tickle an IE he laughs. If you prick an IE he bleeds. If you poison an IE he dies. If you shoot an IE he also dies; the same goes for stabbing, immolations, disembowelment, evisceration, and even beheading.

The trick is successfully doing these things to an IE. Aside from their Leet 4th World skills (Most are 10+ Circle in several disciplines. Harlequin is both a highly skilled Swordmaster Adept and a master of several magician disciplines, at the very least. He may also be a light bearer of some sort. Alachia has leet 2nd World Magic skills that put many IEs to shame, including the ability to ReName things on a massive scale ), they also tend to have a great deal of secret political power and the scads of bodyguards (fodder) and intelligence sources that go with it. Paranoia also figures heavily into it because pretty much every IE hates the guts of, at least, one other IE and is hated in turn. When you have immortals plotting vengeance upon you over the centuries you have to be paranoid and when you have upstart mortals who are vying for the political power that you have accumulated over the centuries then you need to be even more paranoid. This is why I assume that Alachia and the rest have custom spells that eliminate the danger of using toilet paper that is coated with the most deadly contact poison in the world and other embarrassing but quite real hazards.

If you pull a gun on an IE you'll almost certainly trigger some sort of anchored magical defense and be reduced to your component atoms shortly after. If you aren't then you''ll probably wish you were. Since they have no skill caps and have had dozens of grades of Initiation since before it was called Initiation, +100 Increased Attributes aren't impossible. One may as well assume that any IE has an infinite dicepool for dealing with standard threats while batles with other Ultimate NPCs are just GM fiat.
Draconis
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest @ Nov 4 2006, 03:41 PM)
Do the imortals war with each other?  when they fight is it like highlander where you take their head and get there power?

If you tickle an IE he laughs. If you prick an IE he bleeds. If you poison an IE he dies. If you shoot an IE he also dies; the same goes for stabbing, immolations, disembowelment, evisceration, and even beheading.

The trick is successfully doing these things to an IE. Aside from their Leet 4th World skills (Most are 10+ Circle in several disciplines. Harlequin is both a highly skilled Swordmaster Adept and a master of several magician disciplines, at the very least. He may also be a light bearer of some sort. Alachia has leet 2nd World Magic skills that put many IEs to shame, including the ability to ReName things on a massive scale ), they also tend to have a great deal of secret political power and the scads of bodyguards (fodder) and intelligence sources that go with it. Paranoia also figures heavily into it because pretty much every IE hates the guts of, at least, one other IE and is hated in turn. When you have immortals plotting vengeance upon you over the centuries you have to be paranoid and when you have upstart mortals who are vying for the political power that you have accumulated over the centuries then you need to be even more paranoid. This is why I assume that Alachia and the rest have custom spells that eliminate the danger of using toilet paper that is coated with the most deadly contact poison in the world and other embarrassing but quite real hazards.

If you pull a gun on an IE you'll almost certainly trigger some sort of anchored magical defense and be reduced to your component atoms shortly after. If you aren't then you''ll probably wish you were. Since they have no skill caps and have had dozens of grades of Initiation since before it was called Initiation, +100 Increased Attributes aren't impossible. One may as well assume that any IE has an infinite dicepool for dealing with standard threats while batles with other Ultimate NPCs are just GM fiat.

Poison, shoot, stab.... those are great suggestions I think everyone should try and utilize them.

See you can justify plot points anyway you want but they're still just plot points and not characters.

Yes yes anchored magical defenses yadda yadda... my team has nukes, several as a matter of fact. I'm sure if I sent one to a IE in a normal game it wouldn't work, it'd get sent to the wrong place, etc. GM damn fiat and handwaving just because these people are not characters, they're plot points.

I loathe Ultimate NPCs, they lead to MacGuffins and Deus ex Machina like you wouldn't believe, which is just crap writing/plotting.
Halabis
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Nov 5 2006, 04:03 AM)
If you poison an IE he dies.

Uhh, actually I'm 90% certain the immortal elf package includes Immunity to age, pathogens, diseases, and poisons.
ChicagosFinest
wll lets get to the meat of it since no one has answered it. Are the IE's: a higlander ripoff? If another IE takes and IE's head is it quickening and all that bull. I just need a clear answer on this one of my players got into this arguement with me and I want to end it today.
Jaid
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
wll lets get to the meat of it since no one has answered it. Are the IE's: a higlander ripoff? If another IE takes and IE's head is it quickening and all that bull. I just need a clear answer on this one of my players got into this arguement with me and I want to end it today.

well, given the typical stats for an IE is "can't be killed, and always succeeds at whatever they're doing", i'm going to say it's irrelevant.

i'm also going to say that no, you don't gain any power from cutting off their heads, because they aren't the kind of immortals from highlander, they're a completely different thing. and twice as annoying.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)

While I imagine that IEs listen to a lot of Queen, they don't actually get a quickening every time they chop the head off another Immortal Elf.

They do mostly know some Blood Magic as it wasn't considered weird back in the 4th age to use that stuff. So many IEs can probably gain some of the powers of a fallen comrade by eating them aboleth style. Not all ofthem can do that, but it makes the immortals uncomfortable around each other.

-Frank
ChicagosFinest
LOL

Jaid, Frank,

Thank you fellahs I'm going to email this thread to him so he can shut up about the highlander ripoff (this was one of the most annoying arguements I have had with a player yet).
fistandantilus4.0
Most of them don't even carry swords! eek.gif

Besides, I think Harlequin listens to Pink Floyd. wink.gif

Basically, they were servants of the Great Dragons in a past age and rebelled. That should say something of their power elvel, if they can thumb their nose at a Great Dragon and live to pretend it never happened.

mfb: good point. Someone has to keep those damn IE's in line. freakin' leonardo.
Wakshaani
Hey, oddball question while we're on the IE tip.

In Harlequin, the PCs go to meet Harley in his "Urban Castle" in Puyallup, where there's a couple hundred haggered Elves just kinda hanging out, lining the streets, then seperate to give you passage to an old blind guy (Who, it seems, can see just fine) ... They show you teh way, then you never see 'em again.

What was UP with that?

Does Harle have a cult in the Puyallup Barrens? Were they just magic'd up, to look pretty? Were the illusions?

Been bugging me the past couple of days for some reason.
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC ,that was Tarislar. And it wasn't a castle, just a tall old buidling. The hangers on, they follow the almighty nuyen.gif .
Wakshaani
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
IIRC ,that was Tarislar. And it wasn't a castle, just a tall old buidling. The hangers on, they follow the almighty nuyen.gif .

Was using castle figuratively, there. smile.gif

Have these guys, or even the location, ever popped up since? Or were they just props for a single scene?
Grinder
Great! A thread about Space Dragons? Pfff, not really interesting. And now, after I clicked on "last post" by accident, I see theories about IEs. Thanks, now I have to read the whole thread. Grrr...

biggrin.gif
Mistwalker
You mean you expected a Dumpshock post to stay on topic????? eek.gif grinbig.gif biggrin.gif rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012