Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Take Aim and Called Shot
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Kagetenshi
The difference is that GM fiat is unpredictable, and not guaranteed to be the same from one appearance of a situation to the next appearance of the same sort of situation. It destroys the ability for players to predict the outcome of their actions.

House rules, which are also bad but significantly less bad than GM fiat, are different because instead of unpredictable on-the-spot rulings, they are guidelines that are put firmly in place that will be followed every time they apply.

Example: a vehicle crashes into another vehicle. Saying "well, the other vehicle will resist 4S3" is GM fiat. Saying "a vehicle that has been crashed into will suffer damage based on the relative speeds and masses of the vehicles according to this [formula or chart]" is a houserule. The first doesn't let the players know anything about what will happen next time a vehicle is about to crash into another vehicle. The second does.

~J
eidolon
Just catching up, so sorry if some of this is repeated.

QUOTE (Cain)
You could GM fiat it, and just tell the player: "You're too far back to help." Or, you could say: "Let's create a house rule. How about this: let's use the sprinting rules, but change the distances like so." Yes, you might have to (shock, horror!) deal with the player doing something your plot didn't expect. But if you roll with the punches, you'll end up with a game that's more fun for everyone.

Except that house ruling is "GM fiat", just as much as saying "you're too far back to help". The GM being consistent in making that call (too far) in similar situations would simply be an unspoken house rule. And again, we run into the fact that saying "GM fiat" means nothing.

QUOTE (Cain)
Then play your own game, but be honest with yourself, and don't call it Shadowrun.
I don't understand how you can play Rifts, and call it Shadowrun.

Last time I checked, there was no "right" way to play a role playing game. Have you never made stats for a new weapon? Oops, better stop calling your game Shadowrun. Have you ever made up a vehicle? Oops, better come up with a new name for your game.

Also, it's pretty off-base to tell someone that's doing what the rule book says to do that they're not playing the game right. In this case, you've been provided with specific rule book references to the GM making a call for his/her game, and you claim that anyone doing so is no longer playing Shadowrun. Puzzling.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The difference is that GM fiat is unpredictable, and not guaranteed to be the same from one appearance of a situation to the next appearance of the same sort of situation. It destroys the ability for players to predict the outcome of their actions.

House rules, which are also bad but significantly less bad than GM fiat, are different because instead of unpredictable on-the-spot rulings, they are guidelines that are put firmly in place that will be followed every time they apply.

Again we come back to semantics. In order to further your argument, you are using GM fiat to mean "cases of bad GMing in which decisions are made for specific situations without any consideration of the players' desires and with no consideration for how that decision will impact the game, whether it is realistic or fits the game, and whether it will be ruled consistently in the future". And again, you'd be better served to just say that, rather than using some fluff term that has no meaning outside "making decisions".

You then describe "GM fiat" as it should be done, or "good GMing", as the counter point.

And your specific example is bad too. If the GM making the first call was consistent in his rulings, and every time a vehicle crashed into another vehicle it resisted the same damage, it's just a ruling. No need to classify it using a fluff term with decidedly negative connotations. You have to remember (actually, most posters on DSF would do well to remember sometimes) that not everyone that plays SR, or any other roleplaying game, know enough or care enough to go to the effort of figuring up a chart for damage based on mass and velocity, etc. etc. Making a call based on your own knowledge, or lack thereof even, is perfectly acceptable. And if you make that call consistently, you're doing a good job.

Smed
At some point in any RPG, GM Fiat will be required, as the rules cannot possibly cover every situation. But when GM Fiat starts being required to cover many situations that ARE covered in the rules, that points out flawed rules. All RPGs are going to have rules that break down in some situations. Pointing out that the rules are a bit wonky doesn't neccessarily mean that the people pointing out the flaw hate the game, it may mean that they'd like to see the game improve.

Over time, SR3 is going to fade away in popularity due to the introduction of SR4. I have been playing Shadowrun for years, and am beginning to play SR4, though I still play SR3 too. There are some things I love about the new edition, and some things I loathe about it, but even if I hated the new SR4 rules to the point I only wanted to play SR3, I'd still want to bring up issues with the new rules so that they hopefully would be improved, because as time goes on, finding a group of people interested in playing the older editions is going to be harder.

Those who play ANY edition of Shadowrun should have an interest in seeing SR4 to well, even if they have no plans to switch to the SR4 rules. If the game doesn't do well, the Shadowrun community as a whole will get smaller, and eventually made fade away. So to those who can't stand to see any criticism of SR4, chill out a bit. A critical review of the rules may help to make them better.
Kagetenshi
I disagree wholeheartedly, but we're getting close to topic-derailing.

~J
Kesslan
Except SR4 isnt really that wonky a system. Is it perfect? No. But no system is (as has been stated before)

I think part of the reason why you dont for example under SR4 see stuff like the old SR3's version of Hardened and Vehicle armor is purely because of the fact that ammo got so advanced it effectively acts like AV rounds. Which under SR3 rules you could infact get for a pistol.

So now you just effectively have regular and AP (Yes I realize there are other types like EX-EX but thats not really the point, it's really just a weaker AP version). Now while making a 'long range snapshot' would likely be abit far fetched IRL. It actualy isnt impossible for some one whos really good with a rifle and has a well calibrated iron sight or scope. Infact it's easier to do with an iron sight. And with very minimal time to aim (Just a few seconds which still falls under a snapshot) you can still be pretty accurate.

Now granted your not bloody likely to MAKE the shot, nor are you going to be able to even see a target beyond a certain range. But snipers from back in the napoleonic and civial war eras made plenty of very long range shots (for the weaponry used), with far poorer weaponry than we have today. And with nothing other than an iron sight to boot. Infact I'm pretty sure if I dug through some of my books on the history of sniping I could even find specific examples of ranges from that era and shots made. Not all of them were extreemly long aiming periods either. Infact, taking a very long time to aim isnt really a good thing in many cases as it's your body supporting the rifle. In cases where it's not then it doenst matter as much of course.

So lets make an actual 'realistic' example of a scenario where you might be sniping at some one in Shadowrun (Something I've done quite abit of actually, and hell I'm going to pull out something I did in SR3 but convert it to SR4 since thats the system were discussing)

Basically here is the setup on the run I was on:
Convoy with various security vehicles, moving along a canyon. We allready knew the route and all that fun stuff, setup an ambush. And I set myself up with my sniper rifle down the far end. Rifle in question was a Ranger arms SM-3 loaded with AV rounds. Now since those dont exsit in SR4 we'll change that to APDS sinc ehtats the closest you get. I was setup, under cover, prone with my rifle supported with a bipod. The angle afforded me full view of the road ahead with practically no blindspot (A second sniper infact was covering the areas I couldnt see and vice versa)

Rifle skill: 6
Improved Rifles Adept Ability: 2
Quickness 6: Converts to Agility 4
Total dice: 6+2+4=12

Now since this is SR4 and I can easily and cheaply use a smartlink with an Adept, I'm damn well going to do so. So lets add another +2 dice from the smartlink since we want to go for 'extreme' examples. Also for this we'll ignore the range issue since vision magnification is also in use, and the range to the target is well within 'long range' of the rifle itself.

Total dice for test: 14

The target: Truck driver, behind armored glass, wearing body armor.
Target has:
Good Cover: -4 dice
Attacker Firing From Cover: -1
Attacker In moving Vehicle modifier (We'll add this because the target is instead the one in the moving vehicle): -3
Total Penalty: -7
Dice Left for Test: 7

Now using the roller at: http://www.imasy.or.jp/~miyamoto/rpg/javas...t/sr4Tools.html
I've Rolled the test 10 times:
Test 1: 3 hits
Test 2: 3 hits
Test 3: 5 hits
Test 4: 3 hits
Test 5: 3 hits
Test 6: 2 hits
Test 7: 1 hit
Test 8: 1 hit
Test 9: 4 hits
Test 10: 2 hits

So in every case I hit him. This without taking an aiming action. However this si with all the necessary gear. Being 'zoomed in' allready etc. Now lets switch it around abit. Make it at long range, without magnification, or a smartlink
Dice Pool: 14 - 2= 12

The target: Truck driver, behind armored glass, wearing body armor.
Target has:
Good Cover: -4 dice
Attacker Firing From Cover: -1
Attacker In moving Vehicle modifier (We'll add this because the target is instead the one in the moving vehicle): -3
Long Range: -2
Total Penalty: -9
Dice Left for Test: 3

Rolls to Hit:
Test 1: 0
Test 2: 0
Test 3: 1
Test 4: 0
Test 5: 2
Test 6: 1
Test 7: 0
Test 8: 2
Test 9: 0
Test 10: 2

So pretty much a 50/50 chance of hitting him without taking an action to aim. This also isnt taking in any other possible mofiiers such as glare from the sun, lighting levels etc. The round in question still also has to not only punch through the armored glas, but then the man afterwards. Realistically it's not an impossible shot. Now is that 50/50 chance better than what you'd get IRL? Hard to erally say, I'd say it's abit on the side of unrealism but keep in mind the shooter was allready setup well ahead of time and the 'snap shot' in question isnt a true snapshot when you think about circumstances, since it only required minor adjustment of the rifle at the most. And that, I can assure you from RL experience is quite possible to do iron sight. Its a great deal harder to do with a scope actually, but then in SR4 you have a smartlink and no need for a scope, the smartlink also convientnly places a crosshair right in your view.

Considering this is an RPG with dragons, magic, nonhuman races, spirits, mutants, cyberware, bioware and all sorts of other things that dont exist in this world. I hardly feel that that's overly streatching the realm of 'realism' for the setting. So what exactly is wrong with the rules surrounding SR4s range combat?

Keep in mind, my character is human, a stat of 4 is for some one 'trained'. A skill of 6 means he's just shy of world class. Add in his 2 dice from the improved combat adept ability and he's actually above world class. He's better than bloody james bond. If he were the total top of the line sniper in the world he'd have:
Longarms: 7
Augmented Agility: 9 (Or 10 for an elf)
Total dice: 16 (17) not counting combat ability powers.
At that level he's not just the best he's bloody well beyond superhuman. And easily earns the 'Legend' status the 7 in a skill gives you.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kesslan)
(Yes I realize there are other types like EX-EX but thats not really the point, it's really just a weaker AP version).

You misspelled "stronger". Or has there been an errata I've missed?

~J
Kesslan
I got lazy and didnt double check my spelling. A runner team has been dispatched to.. deal with you for pointing out my errors! wink.gif
Cain
Okay, since people have taken exception with Mr. Lucky and the Citymaster, I'm going to modify mfb's example, and show you the flaws on a smaller scale.

The ship, sailing out to sea, is almost a mile away (1500m). His target is wandering around on deck, calling over a commlink and gloating, so the decker has triangulated his location based on signal strength. The target also has full heavy armor on, which has reduced his Reaction pool to nothing. The team has a Ranger SM-4 loaded with EX-EX, but no one left who has the longarms skill.

Mr. Lucky grabs the sniper rifle, which he's never used before (-1), tosses open the van door as it's moving, and fires a snaphot (-3). This is at extreme range (-6) and the target has good cover (-4). He's Seriously Wounded (-3), and is firing from cover himself (-1). And, since this is Seattle we're talking about, it's raining (-4). Now, he calls a shot to bypass armor (-12, assuming no shield). Total modifiers: -34. Since Mr. Lucky isn't going to have any dice pool left, he spends a point of Edge. Now he's got 8 dice to work with, which averages to 2.66 successes, rounded up to 3. Total damage code: 13P. Assuming the target has a Body of 3, that amounts to 1 success: not nearly enough. He dies on the spot.

Now, this is the exact same thing as the Citymaster example, just on a less-exaggerated scale.
Aemon
QUOTE (Cain)
First of all, you'd call it d20. No elves necessary. D&D is a proprietary product, which by definition, includes elves. You can house rule them out, but then the game's not the same. Exactly where the line between D&D/notD&D is unclear, but you can tell when you've crossed it.

To call it Rifts when things have gone that far isn't a stretch.

Wow. You HONESTLY believe that, don't you? You actually think that if elves were removed from D&D, that the game would stop being D&D. Not only that, you seem to think that the ONLY way this could happen is if you 'house ruled' it, as if to say the only way RPG worlds can change or be dynamic is through RULES.

Cain, I'd like to introduce you to Story. Story, this is Cain. I don't believe you've met.

Story, please explain to Cain what you do.

Story: Of course Aemon, I'd be happy to. Well Cain, I'm an element in the RPG World that can change the campaign setting and 'story' dynamically without changing the rules. Amazingly enough, since RPGs are based on the concept of storytelling, I'm actually vital to the survival of table top RPGs.

Cain: But you're not in the rules.

Story: Ahh but you see, the rules all revolve around me. All the rules do is facilitate the system by which I can be told. Simply put, I can change the game world without altering a single rule. I could make Lonestar go bankrupt, nuke Hong Kong or cause the 3rd Awakening in order to introduce a race of Treants. Yes, I am that powerful.

Cain: You're GM Fiat gone berserk!! AIIYEEE! *dies*

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Aemon @ Dec 3 2006, 02:03 PM)
Amazingly enough, since RPGs are based on the concept of storytelling

Storytelling has certainly become a major part of RPGs, but the direct ancestor to the role-playing game is the (essentially storyless) wargame.

~J
Konsaki
You mean the old dungeon crawls were you cleared a room and moved to the next until you got the the boss and kicked his ass. basically anyone outside your team or town was the enemy, especially if they were in a cave or castle.
James McMurray
The difference is that GM fiat is unpredictable, and not guaranteed to be the same from one appearance of a situation to the next appearance of the same sort of situation.

This statement is completly and 1000% true, except in those instances where you have a GM that values consistency. In that case it's completely and 100% false. So basically, it'sa worthless statement.

Except that house ruling is "GM fiat", just as much as saying "you're too far back to help".

Give it up man. No amount of truth will sway a fanatic. Some folks have it in their heads that there's a difference, and they flat out refuse to use any other definition.

why you dont for example under SR4 see stuff like the old SR3's version of Hardened and Vehicle armor is purely because of the fact that ammo got so advanced it effectively acts like AV rounds.

All vehicle armor is effectively hardened armor. If the modified DV of the shot is lower then the armor there is no damage. There is no personal hardened armor yet, but Arsenel will probably introduce it.

Now, this is the exact same thing as the Citymaster example, just on a less-exaggerated scale.

And since it's the same example it has the same resolution. It's a "problem" with the longshot rules. No matter how many "prblems" with the longshot rules you post, they'll all have the same resolution: the group decides what they feel is proper for the game they want to play.

Storytelling has certainly become a major part of RPGs, but the direct ancestor to the role-playing game is the (essentially storyless) wargame.

He didn't say RPGs evolved from storytelling (although it may be what he meant). He said RPGs are based on storytelling, which, if you read pretty much any game's "How to Roleplay" and "GM Advice" section you'll see has become true.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Cain)
Okay, since people have taken exception with Mr. Lucky and the Citymaster, I'm going to modify mfb's example, and show you the flaws on a smaller scale.

The ship, sailing out to sea, is almost a mile away (1500m). His target is wandering around on deck, calling over a commlink and gloating, so the decker has triangulated his location based on signal strength. The target also has full heavy armor on, which has reduced his Reaction pool to nothing. The team has a Ranger SM-4 loaded with EX-EX, but no one left who has the longarms skill.

Mr. Lucky grabs the sniper rifle, which he's never used before (-1), tosses open the van door as it's moving, and fires a snaphot (-3). This is at extreme range (-6) and the target has good cover (-4). He's Seriously Wounded (-3), and is firing from cover himself (-1). And, since this is Seattle we're talking about, it's raining (-4). Now, he calls a shot to bypass armor (-12, assuming no shield). Total modifiers: -34. Since Mr. Lucky isn't going to have any dice pool left, he spends a point of Edge. Now he's got 8 dice to work with, which averages to 2.66 successes, rounded up to 3. Total damage code: 13P. Assuming the target has a Body of 3, that amounts to 1 success: not nearly enough. He dies on the spot.

You know with that kinda argument really, the only thing thats wrong with that is some one who sees just how nutty that is to totally negate a penalty that huge when ever they feel like it. I mean the rule is really only there (going by the example it uses for the longshot test) when you hit 0 or maybe say round -2 dice or something. NOT -34. I'm pretty sure if you went to the writers they'd say much the same thing, though ultimately leaving it up to the GM's call.

If you want realism in the game, no way in hell is that ever going to happenn except as maybe a one time thing in a whole campaign. And I mean if your going to go all ruleslaywer about it, then yes you'd be right. But then so would the GM in saying that the target fires back at you in turn using the deadman trigger rule.

Cause I mean to even be able to MAKE a shot like that in the first place you have to do lot more than simply triangulate the guys position. You'd have to actually be able to -see- him. And while technically possible within the game mechanic rules. You'd still have to roll for it. Because even trianglation isnt perfectly right on the dot. And even if it was, your not and you cant actually see said triangulation co-ordiantes. Not to mention for all you know his phone is transmitting to the yacht which is transmitting the actual call in which case the trangulation would be on that instead.

Because without that it's not even really a case of blind fire even. But either way as has been mentioned, if your the type to horribly abuse the game system. YES it does effectively allow that. Just like how you can pull that test, fate coudl be against you, critical glitch and yoru rifle blows up in your hands killing you instantly cause yoru allready so badly wounded. Though thats considerably less likely to happen.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Konsaki)
You mean the old dungeon crawls were you cleared a room and moved to the next until you got the the boss and kicked his ass. basically anyone outside your team or town was the enemy, especially if they were in a cave or castle.

Those as well, but I'm really talking about things like Diplomacy (which started a lot of the shift towards interaction-based gameplay), Gettysburg, Tactics, Sniper!, and that sort of thing.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
This statement is completly and 1000% true, except in those instances where you have a GM that values consistency. In that case it's completely and 100% false. So basically, it'sa worthless statement.

Only if you're a mindreader. If the GM takes the time to say that he or she will use the same ruling, it's a houserule. If the GM doesn't say it, you need to either observe overwhelming consistency (which takes time) or be able to read the GM's mind to see that he or she intends to be consistent.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
He didn't say RPGs evolved from storytelling (although it may be what he meant). He said RPGs are based on storytelling

I don't agree, but that would make it a question that is not easily solvable. I'll drop it for now.

~J
Aemon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (James McMurray)
He didn't say RPGs evolved from storytelling (although it may be what he meant). He said RPGs are based on storytelling, which, if you read pretty much any game's "How to Roleplay" and "GM Advice" section you'll see has become true.

I don't agree, but that would make it a question that is not easily solvable. I'll drop it for now.

~J

My apologizies if I'm unclear. I did not mean to say that RPGs evolved from Storytelling, although I can see how that could be intimated from my statement. Understand that I started my RPG "career", so to speak, with AD&D 2nd Edition, when RPGs, by in large, had fully gone into the Storytelling mode of play, as opposed to war simulations or games, like Warhammer.

I have always viewed the two as separate game styles, both tabletop, but one for Story purposes, and one for war-game mechanics and simulation. Although each style of game can have elements of the other, RPGs, IMHO are Story-centric, whileas wargames are mechanic-centric.

However, all this is a deviation of the discussion at hand. Shadowrun, no matter what the implications of my statement may be interperted as, is a ROLEPLAYING game. Not a war-simulation or minatures combat game. It is thematic a story-based, roleplaying centric RPG. It does not change the fact that Cain seems to believe that rules govern and RPG more than the story does. I don't need to use rules to make Elves disappear from D&D anymore than I need rules to add power-armour to Shadowrun.

Kagetenshi
Would your power armor have no stats?

~J
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Only if you're a mindreader. If the GM takes the time to say that he or she will use the same ruling, it's a houserule. If the GM doesn't say it, you need to either observe overwhelming consistency (which takes time) or be able to read the GM's mind to see that he or she intends to be consistent.

You're quibbling over semantics, and you know it. As for needing to observe overwhelming consistency, what of it? I tend to trust the guys I game with. If I don't trust them, I don't game with them. Therefore I assume consistency going in. If I notice a lack of it, and it's in major areas that are worth the trouble, I'll mention it. you on the other hand seem to assume that GMs have no memories, and Cain goes beyond that to assume that GMs are out to screw you.

SR4 was designed with trust in mind. Paranoia will of course stretch its limits.
Aemon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Would your power armor have no stats?

~J

It could have no stats, because it could be a prototype that will never fly and it is simply the Runner's job to get the schematics. Why design stats for a technology that might not be in-game usable?

Besides which, Stats of Power armor does not, in any way shape or form, change any rules in the game. It is simply another vehicle, governed by the same rules of using any other vehicle.

Your suggestion that adding stats to an object not yet in the game changes the rules of the game is patently false. If we don't go to the extreme in the example, you'd just as happily declare that a GM who puts a Honda Civic into Shadowrun is breaking rules and using GM "Fiat" because the Civic doesn't exist in any of the rule books.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Dec 3 2006, 04:05 PM)
You're quibbling over semantics, and you know it.

I wouldn't call it quibbling, but I am absolutely going to raise distinctions about the meaning of the words we're using. It seems kinda important, you know?

As for needing to observe overwhelming consistency, what of it? I tend to trust the guys I game with. If I don't trust them, I don't game with them.

The difference between "trust" and "consistency" is wholly lost on you? Maybe I've just got an awful memory, but part of my insistence on houserules instead of fiat is that, over years of gaming, I remember many times when I or someone else has forgotten a ruling that they made but didn't declare a rule for, resulting in a similar situation arising later being handled totally differently. Hell, it didn't happen in live play, but just two years ago I was debating some vague point in the SR3 rules, and I arrived at what I later discovered to be the exact opposite position that I'd held the last time I looked at the issue (probably about a year prior to that), simply because I was approaching it from a different direction.

There's also the need for the players to know what to expect before the first time the situation arises, too.

Aemon: if the GM puts stats to the vehicle, it's a houserule (house gear… we're getting into the dubious distinction between code and data). If the GM says, internally or externally, "the Civic goes five MPT faster than whatever the players are using", that's fiat.

~J
cx2
Be reasonable everyone for crying out loud.

You want to make the rules tighter than a tart's skirt go right ahead, you're not doing anything wrong.

You want to play it loose and fast go right ahead, you're not doing anything wrong.

It's all a matter of style.

As to what does and doesn't constitute SR, let's take some examples.

Some people play Battletech without involving the clans because they feel they're overpowered. There are more than enough conflicts not involving the clans to account for this, thus you are still playing Battletech.
You could play any number of games and play down a certain faction or race and stillb e playing taht game. Maybe you play SR, but certain corps or other groups like Humanis just don't happen to crop up. It's still SR.

So list of house rules or not, it's somehting for every GM and every player to decide. Either way the unreasonable snap shot or banana up the exhaustshould not even be rolled for, it's just different groups would come to that conclusion in different ways.

And let's remember the realism of certain things, most especially firearms, depends on the group. Many players won't have touched a real firearm ever, myself included because I'm in Britain. Remember that many, many countries do not allow legal firearms.

If you have a group made up of computer specialists you'll find the matrix will have some quirks, if you're playing with a lot of firearms enthusiasts or ex military people similarly with firearms, and so on. No two groups are the same. This isn't particularly avoidable, especially in a game with a setting so closely linked to reality.

Yes, linked so closely to reality. I don't compare SR to reality a huge amount because that would be silly, but SR includes firearms and computers etc. THese are things we can reasonably expect people to have RL knowledge and experience of, at least in a noticeable percentage of the player base. On the other hand I would not expect many people to have RL knowledge of "magic missiles".
James McMurray
I wouldn't call it quibbling, but I am absolutely going to raise distinctions about the meaning of the words we're using. It seems kinda important, you know?

1) You difference is meaningless. You say GM Fiat becomes a House rule when you write it down, but what you really mean is use it consistently. You can write something down and then not use it, or simply memorize it and use it the exact same way every time. In reality what you're trying to do is say that one is bad and the other horrible. We've all agreed that for you it's horrible, but you aren't going to get an agreement that a term being used objectively can have a subjective judgement call in it's definition.

The difference between "trust" and "consistency" is wholly lost on you?

I think perhaps you misread me. I didn't say that trust == consistency. I said that I trust my friends (i.e. my GMs) to be consistent. You obviously disagree and don't want to trust. That's cool, but it's a judgement call, not a fact that must be agreed with.

There's also the need for the players to know what to expect before the first time the situation arises, too.

So before you start a campaign you sit down and lay out the rules for handling every possible situation that might ever arise? How do you ever get to start actually playing the game? Or is it that this is hyperbole and you don't actually expect every infinite variation of play to be mapped out ahead of time?

If the GM says, internally or externally, "the Civic goes five MPT faster than whatever the players are using", that's fiat.

No, that's cheating. I think I now see your problem. To swipe a phrase from theRPGsite, "point to where the bad GM touched you."
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
No, that's cheating. I think I now see your problem. To swipe a phrase from theRPGsite, "point to where the bad GM touched you."

what the... how the heck is that cheating, but everything else you've used as an example isn't?
Garrowolf
Okay I think I can clear this up. On pg 54 it says:

If something in these rules doesn't quite fit or make sense to you, feel free to change it. If you come up with a game mechanic that you think works better - go for it!

Above all the rules are here to facilitate telling good stories. Don't get bogged down in rules disputes when it's important to keep the plot moving, just fudge it and move on. Don't allow powergaming to run out of control, but don't let an unexpected death or glitch derail the plot either. If you know in advance that a certain outcome would be more dramatic or amusing that what you are likely to roll, then don't bother to roll. When the rules get in the way of the story, ignore the rules and tell the story.

There it is! It is a part of the rules to do what we have been saying! They TOLD us to fudge it and it favors story over rules!
Kagetenshi
Thank you, you did clear it up. That paragraph right there covers a substantial part of what GM fiat is, which is what we're complaining about. That paragraph is, to paraphrase McMurray, "where the bad GM touched me".

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Dec 4 2006, 12:48 PM)
Okay I think I can clear this up. On pg 54 it says:

If something in these rules doesn't quite fit or make sense to you, feel free to change it. If you come up with a game mechanic that you think works better - go for it!

Above all the rules are here to facilitate telling good stories. Don't get bogged down in rules disputes when it's important to keep the plot moving, just fudge it and move on. Don't allow powergaming to run out of control, but don't let an unexpected death or glitch derail the plot either. If you know in advance that a certain outcome would be more dramatic or amusing that what you are likely to roll, then don't bother to roll. When the rules get in the way of the story, ignore the rules and tell the story.

There it is! It is a part of the rules to do what we have been saying! They TOLD us to fudge it and it favors story over rules!

Precisely, so we can fudge the above rule as well, so it becomes a circular argument. It defeats itself.
Garrowolf
Precisely, so we can fudge the above rule as well, so it becomes a circular argument. It defeats itself.

It doesn't defeat itself - it reinforces itself. If you fudge something to not be able to fudge something then you negate your ability to not fudge and you are able to fudge again!

Fudge wins!

Besides - why would YOUR fudging effect MY game?
Kremlin KOA
so how about a shadowrun tournament at a convention?
toturi
QUOTE (Garrowolf)

It doesn't defeat itself - it reinforces itself. If you fudge something to not be able to fudge something then you negate your ability to not fudge and you are able to fudge again!

Fudge wins!

Besides - why would YOUR fudging effect MY game?

And then you are able to fudge to not fudge and on and on it goes! In the end there is no end to the loop. Basically, that rule says that you can ignore the rules. Hence you can ignore that rule. You say ignoring that rule ignores the rule of ignoring the rules, but once you choose to ignore that rule, that rule is ignored and it stops there.

In the end, the ignore rule is ignored.

SR Missions? You know it is like only the official SR4 campaign?
Jack Kain
Anyone else here a bit lost on there double talk argument?
Aemon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 3 2006, 04:22 PM)
Aemon: if the GM puts stats to the vehicle, it's a houserule (house gear… we're getting into the dubious distinction between code and data). If the GM says, internally or externally, "the Civic goes five MPT faster than whatever the players are using", that's fiat.

~J

I fundamentally disagree with your concept of a "house rule". The rules in SR4 dictate how you can add new items, objects, technologies into the game. It gives you a general set of skills, rules and mechanisms to play with.

So let's say Power Armour is piloted with *gasp* Pilot Exotic Vehicle. That would make sense, wouldn't it? Here, in the base rules itself, is a system that allows a storyteller to create and add his/her own unique vehicles with a skill already set to test against it! Let's say using weapon systems on a power armour uses the skill Gunnery - alas, again, there is a base game mechanic already available to take care of it! To repair it, uses the skill Armourer or Industrial Mechanic, or whatever mechanical skill makes sense given whatever systems the power armour may have... Again - a system is in place that the game allows for. There is no House Rule. These are all base rules being applied to something the game itself allows for: your own designs.

A REAL House rule would be changing something as WRITTEN in the rules specific for your game. So, a real house rule would be saying that Trolls have a max Body cap of 8 instead of 10 or that any spell you cast automatically does 1 point of unsoakable drain damage to you (note these are just HOUSE RULES I am making up on the fly - we do not play by these rules).

Garrowolf
Yes but your ability to ignore the rule is granted by that rule. If you ignore that ability then you no longer have the ability to ignore that rule. Therefore that rule stays put!

Besides it was to point out that the ability to change any of the rules is IN the rules. In fact it gives you a page of ways to change the rules and various suggestions. SR4 seems to be fairly house rules friendly.
cx2
Talking about circular logic does exactly crap for any debate, just makes you look stupid. Circular logic by its nature can never resolve any debate because it does not come to a concrete conclusion.

However you can look at the meaning if you are even slightly able to read between the lines, "Here's a framework and do what you will with it."

And remember there is a difference between cheating and inconsistency, please decide which is the issue. I agree that simply deciding "The bad guys have a vehicle faster than yours" could be cheating, but it could also be integral to the plot. If you don't trust a GM to make the best possible story without being unfair then you have a GM problem, not a mechanics problem.

You say the rules should stop GMs being able to do this? Imagine the result of the fudge, it could be worse... or it could lead to another intricate and deep plot twist. Saying a GM shouldn't have that kind of power is silly because it can completely invalidate their role. You have to trust a GM to choose when to fudge, and to fudge for the benefit of the players even if they can't see it right then. There are plenty of times you have to trust people in RL, this is just another one.

Now as I said if you want to play it differently you can, just don't try to impose your views on everyone else.
toturi
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Yes but your ability to ignore the rule is granted by that rule. If you ignore that ability then you no longer have the ability to ignore that rule. Therefore that rule stays put!

Besides it was to point out that the ability to change any of the rules is IN the rules. In fact it gives you a page of ways to change the rules and various suggestions. SR4 seems to be fairly house rules friendly.

Yes, but once you use it to ignore the rule, it stays ignored because the rule is now ignored and it is gone, nothing says now you can un-ignore it. Therefore it stays dead.

Of course, the ability to ignore any of the rules is in the rules. In fact you can play SR with the D20 rules set, in fact that is what you can do - by the rules. If you use that rule, anything can happen, there might as well be no rules, because you can add your own.
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (James McMurray)

what the... how the heck is that cheating, but everything else you've used as an example isn't?

Because he hasn't assigned the new piece of gear stats, he's simply said "it wins." If he wants the honda civic to be faster, he should just give it a really high speed. Of course, that might be what he did, and he just phrased it that way because the PCs have no way of knowing that the stats on a brand new vehicle are. If that's the case then it isn't cheating, it's just creating a new piece of gear, something that happens in almost every Shadowrun game eventually.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Thank you, you did clear it up. That paragraph right there covers a substantial part of what GM fiat is, which is what we're complaining about. That paragraph is, to paraphrase McMurray, "where the bad GM touched me".

~J

Really. I mean geez! What kind of bastard game designer tells your group to have fun, even if it means not running the game exactly as their idea of what is fun says you should. String 'm up!

/sarcasm
Chandon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

I'm going to have to largely agree here.

I've had more than one game master who has used that paragraph, or its equivalent in other games, to excuse not actually reading the rest of the rulebook. One of the basic things I believe about house rules (and GM judgement calls that are effectively house rules) is that you shouldn't change stuff before you understand how it works to begin with.

I'm sorely tempted to suggest not putting that paragraph in new RPG books because the people who can use it safely saw it already in V:tM 1st edition or Ars Magica.
James McMurray
Yeah, you should definitely know it before you change it, but that's not an SR4 issue, it's a crappy game master issue. Almost every game out there (every game I've read, the "almost" is just to cover my ass) says at some point that the rules are just guidelines, and the group should have fun.

The same SR4 section that says change a rule if you think you need to also says the GM should know the rules very well, and that changes should be kept to a minimum.
tjn
I hate to beat a dead horse even more (and to come out of lurking after so long for what seems like a small, flippant, remark), but has no one else heard of the Oberoni Fallacy? The BBB seems to have codified it en mass.

I have to agree with mfb in large part here, and to me the game development seems to be 'loose' or whatever word you may wish to use.

See, it's not a matter of "where the bad GM touched me," but rather the expectations of the social contract we all enter into when we sit down at the gaming table. The rules of a system are the "physics" of the gaming world; it's the shared basis in which we, until house ruled or GM fiatted, come to expect as normal and what we should expect an outcome to be. The problem is the rules are so purposefully vague that I have a really hard time coming to grasp what should happen because the entire system is riddled with GM caveats.

As a GM, nothing would please me greater than throwing the BBB at a new player, tell him he's responsible for learning the basics and the next session giving him the low down on the house rules or specific devations from canon that our gaming group uses once he gets on the same page in regards with the RAW. But I have little confidence in the BBB so that after reading the rules that Bobby and Bill will even be in the same chapter, let alone on the same page. And that, I feel, is a detraction from the new edition.

I do wish to add that I do quite enjoy SR4. Very much so- just it could have been better is all I'm saying. That, and having to teach new players "my" version of Shadowrun is a little more effort than I appreciate.
Aemon
QUOTE (Chandon)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 3 2006, 11:53 PM)

~J

I'm going to have to largely agree here.

I've had more than one game master who has used that paragraph, or its equivalent in other games, to excuse not actually reading the rest of the rulebook. One of the basic things I believe about house rules (and GM judgement calls that are effectively house rules) is that you shouldn't change stuff before you understand how it works to begin with.

I'm sorely tempted to suggest not putting that paragraph in new RPG books because the people who can use it safely saw it already in V:tM 1st edition or Ars Magica.

I'm not sure how you guys play games, but for all things there is a learning curve. We don't live in a world of absolutes, therefore we don't game in a world of absolutes. You guys are throwing your arguments into the extremes and coming up with... extremes.

The paragraph about house-ruling stuff is so that people like you don't stall an entire game session involving maybe 4 to 5 other people with your rules bickering and semantics. Ultimately, someone has to be make a decision when players and GM are at an impasse and this is always left in the hands of the GM.

If you are unhappy with your GM, nominate a new one or find a different group. All your complaints about "GM Fiat" is ultimately based on experiencing POOR GMing. A good GM will not use their discretionary rulings willy nilly. Simultaneously, a good GM will know when it is an appropriate time to make a house rule calling or use their discretion, just as a poor GM won't. Yes, a GM who does not use any discretionary rulings can also be a bad GM. Funny how these things work both ways.

Ultimately, it comes down to some sort of balance, one that you guys aren't acknowledging. Every single RPG game requires GM discretion. We have gone over this. Shadowrun is no different. You may feel it requires TOO much, but that is subjective and you are welcome to that opinion. I'm not bothering to try to change your mind on that. May I suggest then, you play a different game because frankly, I don't see the good people at WizKids scrambling to make your rules lawyering easier.

DireRadiant
Unfortunately the Long Shot Test description does not say either way whether or not the negative pool modifiers also apply to the long shot test itself.

Some people may be assuming that when you do the Long Shot Test that you automatically get to roll Edge number of dice without the negative modifiers applying anyway.

There's a difference if you still get to apply the negative modifiers. adding 8 edge to negative 34 modifier, as has been cited in some cases, would make the shot still difficult.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Some people may be assuming that when you do the Long Shot Test that you automatically get to roll Edge number of dice without the negative modifiers applying anyway.

I am assuming that. I thought it was pretty explicit.
(sorry, someone who's not at work will have to quote the book for us)
James McMurray
The Oberoni Fallacy doesn't apply here. The situation isn't "there's a problem, but you can house rule it so there's no longer a problem" it's "some people don't like some things, if so, they can house rule them."
tjn
As I stated McMurray, the statement was slightly flippant.

The problem isn't within the rules themselves, but rather, in the relative lack of rules. There is no fundament on which I can rest my expectations if the rule system is in large part a "GM's judgement call." The fact that I bought a book of rules that tells me repeatedly that the GM can make up his own rules kinda makes me wonder just wtf I did buy.
James McMurray
There really aren't as many rules holes in SR4 as people seem to think. These threads usually stem more from rules that people don't agree with than rules that don't exist.
Chandon
There are rules for a lot of things. There are a bunch of places where the rules are unclear - some of those have resulted in a general consensus here on the forum (i.e how modifiers interact with attribute caps) and some are still less clear (i.e. what can you do once you've got a thousand copies of an Agent).

SR4 is a complete system rewrite, simplifying a game system with 10 years of sourcebooks. The developers didn't even *try* to fit all the game rules into the main book - the full decking rules won't be out for a while. In a couple other places, decisions were made that have weird consequences - look at how the existence of the attribute cap impacts relative power level beween metahumans and spirits.

The primary reason that roleplaying games have rules at all is to help the players visualize a shared game world - even if the game master isn't an utter genius who can simulate the physics of gunshots in his head while also correctly visualizing a computer network penetration. These events, and any other events that are reasonably common in the roleplaying game, should be resolved by the game rules.

In SR4, there are reasonably common situations that the game rules don't cleanly handle. In addition, there are numerous places where exactly what the rules are is unclear (what are the mental attributes of a flesh form spirit?). These are flaws. The FAQ will solve some of them, others we'll be stuck with until SR5 eventually happens.

One basic fact is that it's easier to play a tight system loosely than it is to tighten up a system that is loose to begin with. That's why I prefer my game systems to start tight...
James McMurray
QUOTE (Chandon)
In SR4, there are reasonably common situations that the game rules don't cleanly handle. In addition, there are numerous places where exactly what the rules are is unclear (what are the mental attributes of a flesh form spirit?).

Such as? The answer, if you choose to give it, should probably be in another thread, but I've been on these boards since SR4 came out and have seen a lot of people with complaints along the lines of "___ can't be done" and "the rules are unclear on ___" and most of those are responded to with a simple page number or one paragraph rephrasing of the rule that didn't seem clear.

Please note, this post is not me saying "nuh-uh! SR4 is perfect." It isn't perfect. I'm just curious about what holes you see, and how many of them are actually holes.
cx2
Often the reverse is true. In a tight system the players can be calling the GM to account with page references all the time and it bogs down into lawyerism, even if you aren't playing with true rules lawyers. It just takes a situation where one guy decides the specific tight interpretation of a rule in the books benefits him more in that situation, and they all end up at it.
eidolon
IME, the situation cx2 describes is far more common that the opposite.
Chandon
If that's a problem you legitimately have, just go ahead and tell your players "No rule books at the table, rules disputes after the session". An even cleaner solution would be to actually have your house rules written up beforehand, which can easily include the rules you're not using (i.e. We're playing D&D 3.5, but without combat manuevers like Bull Rush and Grapple).

I personally find that getting to know what the rules actually are is an excellent way to avoid rules-lawyering problems. I've seriously found that they mostly only come up when the GM hasn't bothered to read the book.
cx2
It is far easier to add than remove.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012