Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Take Aim and Called Shot
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Chandon)
I personally find that getting to know what the rules actually are is an excellent way to avoid rules-lawyering problems. I've seriously found that they mostly only come up when the GM hasn't bothered to read the book.

Funny how people only seem to remember the rules that will help them at the time. Rare is the player who says, "Excuse me, GM, but according to rule X on page Y, that should've done much more damage to me." Rare, and precious, and definitely deserving of bonus karma.
James McMurray
QUOTE (cx2)
It is far easier to add than remove.

Completely depends on your group. For some players "the rules are the rules" and if it's in them it's sacrosanct. For other players the mantra is instead "you can't do that, it's not in the rules." For most it's somewhere in between.

That's why it's imperative that you find a system that fits the players in your group. Trying to run SR4, WoD, or other "loose" systems in the more hardcore "must be rules" group will only lead to heartache. Well, apparently heartache and much gnashing of teeth on forums about the game you* profess to hate but seemingly can't stop talking about.

* general you, not meant to refer to cx2 even though I quoted his post.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 4 2006, 04:53 PM)
I personally find that getting to know what the rules actually are is an excellent way to avoid rules-lawyering problems. I've seriously found that they mostly only come up when the GM hasn't bothered to read the book.

Funny how people only seem to remember the rules that will help them at the time. Rare is the player who says, "Excuse me, GM, but according to rule X on page Y, that should've done much more damage to me." Rare, and precious, and definitely deserving of bonus karma.

I do that, and it tends to annoy my fellow players sometimes. So how do I get the karma, will it be emailed, snail mailed, or added to my spiritual tally automatically by the computer that runs Everything?
Moon-Hawk
The latter. But rest assured, it is there. In your next incarnation, you may get bonus BP for it.
cx2
The best ever example of that was in the CLUE files. A guy shoots someone in a crowded building and says "It's okay, I've god a sound supressor".

Damage calculation time "Now I'm using ex-ex..."

If only he had kept quiet and not tried to take advantage of every rule *laugh*
James McMurray
Nice!
James McMurray
QUOTE (cx2)
The best ever example of that was in the CLUE files. A guy shoots someone in a crowded building and says "It's okay, I've god a sound supressor".

Be wary of the CLUE files. They're funny, but a lot of them seem to stem from a GM being a jerk rather than a stupid player.
Chandon
QUOTE (cx2)
It is far easier to add than remove.

I absolutely disagree.

They both share a step: telling your players about your house rules. Adding rules has an additional step - writing new rules that work cleanly with the existing system. Anyone who's ever tried to write consistent new rules to graft on to an existing system will assure you that it's non-trivial.

I guess if you don't follow "declare your house rules before the session" policy, you might have some trouble with the sort of problem you're describing. On the other hand, as far as I'm concerned problems with undeclared house rules deserve no pity whatsoever.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (cx2 @ Dec 4 2006, 04:15 PM)
In a tight system the players can be calling the GM to account with page references

This right here is part of the value of a tight system. If it becomes "all the time", perhaps the GM should review the rules before the next session?

QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (cx2 @ Dec 4 2006, 05:08 PM)

Be wary of the CLUE files. They're funny, but a lot of them seem to stem from a GM being a jerk rather than a stupid player.

And this is actually a perfect example. However the GM got from "EX-EX" to "noisy", it isn't supported by any sourcebook I've seen or any obvious chain of logic, so unless we haven't been told that he or she'd announced this beforehand…

~J
Chandon
QUOTE (cx2)

This is an excellent example for my next rant.

Clearly this player was new to that gaming group. They had read the rules, and thought they knew how the game worked. A sound suppressor suppresses the sound of a gunshot, ExEx ammo increases the damage. According to the rules, there's no problem here.

Then the GM is like "Ha Ha! I've got an undeclared house rule that ExEx ammo makes a shitload of noise, and so it's not compatible with silencers." If the player is me, I'd be like "That seems somewhat reasonable - it would have been nice if it were on the house rule sheet but whatever. So... the sound is at the location of the target and my position isn't revealed, right?".

With a good GM, I'd expect them to agree and we move along. With a bad GM, I'd get "No, ExEx just makes your sound supressor not work." I'd be like "Yup, I had no way to guess that's how things worked. How about I was using my Gel rounds instead." My experience would be that the bad GM would be like "No, you declared your action. You're screwed". It's at this point where I'm seriously tempted to punch the GM and leave.

The moral of the story is: This shit shouldn't come up to begin with. In a tight system, ExEx ammo would have text saying something like "Although this ammo can be silenced, it makes a loud bang when it hits the target - observers can make a Perception (4) test to notice it". In order to tighten up the game, a game master has to put in a house rule like that. In a loose game with a bad GM, this is a horrible mess that makes the game not fun.
James McMurray
No matter how tight your system, the GM looking for the "hah, you're screwed" moments is going to find them. For instance "you never said you took your thumb off the talk button for your radio while discussing plans, so the enemy knows everything... Ha ha!" There's no rule that says when your finger comes off a talk buitton, and there really shouldn't be.

While playing a tighter system can definitely help, the only way to avoid this sort of thing is to not play with GMs that relish in those moments.

For the record, the button scenario happened this last weekend in my B5 game. I never once tried to screw the guys by telling them they'd blabbed all their secrets. About an hour later one guy said to another guy in the room something he shouldn't have said in front of the present NPCs. I was nice and let him back out of it, with the caveat that from now on if they want to talk in front of NPCs, those NPCs will be able to hear them unless they have some way of conversing silently. PCs don't live inside each others' brains, so if they want to communicate without some form of telepathy they'll need some outward sign of it.
Aemon
QUOTE (Chandon)
The moral of the story is: This shit shouldn't come up to begin with. In a tight system, ExEx ammo would have text saying something like "Although this ammo can be silenced, it makes a loud bang when it hits the target - observers can make a Perception (4) test to notice it". In order to tighten up the game, a game master has to put in a house rule like that. In a loose game with a bad GM, this is a horrible mess that makes the game not fun.

While I somewhat agree with your assessment (in general) disagree with your example. Specific rules of that nature are as much a boon as they are a hindrance. Consider:

What happens if the ExEx round penetrates soft tissue and doesn't explode until inside the body? Increase the Perception test difficulty of hearing it? Does all that flesh, bone and fat muffle the sound? What happens if it strikes water?

Adding details means you now have to add additional details just to cover the new details you did add. And as they always say, the devil is in the details.

It's very easy to accuse game designers of missing something that you feel is crucial at a specific moment in time during play. But it's very difficult for a game designer to conceive of all the possible scenarios that rules will need to be created for.

cx2
If you look up that clue file the player was in a chain of other stupidity, and this was the result. There is some genuine idiocy in the CLUE files, like driving down a busy street on a motorbike... on the path... with an axe...

And it is perfectly easy to add things to a game. However if you want to remove you'll have serious problems with players that think the core rulebook is the be all and end all of the system.

As I said feel free to play your games with tighter rules, just don't even start trying to tell the rest of us how it should be for us because that is what you are doing in effect.
Chandon
Aemon -

You're right. Even better than a specific rule about a Perception test would be fluff text that gives a better description of what ExEx is and how it works. "An ExEx round contains a small explosive charge that detonates on impact with a loud bang" or "An ExEx round contains a small explosive charge that detonates after penetrating the target - if it penetrates the target's armor, the normally loud bang is somewhat muffled."
ElFenrir
No one can prepare for every solitary thing that pops up.

SR4 has been getting a fair amount of flak for having system problems. While there are things i dont agree with in it, hell, I dont think i have ever played a system that didnt end up houseruled one way or another.

I know these systems got playtested. SR4 got playtested, of course.

This Called Shot rule, has been said by many(this thread and others) as being flat out broken. I tend to agree here, its just too out of whack. However, this is a pretty common rule, called shot rules exist in about every game....how was this passed over?

Of course even playtesting misses some things...only thing i can think of was every instance of this rule being playtested had everyone roll like utter crap each time with the lowered dice pools, so no one thought it broken. Im not sure.

The other rules complaint i hear of SR4 is the old 'easy to cheese out the skills' bit...with the whole ''sticking a couple points in a skill and specializing with a twinked attribute', etc, etc.

Some systems just seem easier to exploit than others rule-wise. I dont mean breaking the rules, i mean just using them as is to insane effect. I suppose handing a rulebook over to a powergamer will crack open any of the exploitable rules in a system rather quickly.
James McMurray
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
Of course even playtesting misses some things...only thing i can think of was every instance of this rule being playtested had everyone roll like utter crap each time with the lowered dice pools, so no one thought it broken. Im not sure.

In Babylon 5 if your spaceship's weapon does less damage then their armor then no damage is dealt. They playtested an armor damage rule but left it out for some reason. The end result is fighter crafts that can't actually hurt each other unless someone rolls a crit.

Needless to say we found the armor damage rule and implemented it. And while I did complain at the B5 boards as part of the thread where someone mentioned the rule, I definitely didn't opt to complain about it in every thread I post in. ohplease.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (Chandon)
If that's a problem you legitimately have, just go ahead and tell your players "No rule books at the table, rules disputes after the session". An even cleaner solution would be to actually have your house rules written up beforehand, which can easily include the rules you're not using (i.e. We're playing D&D 3.5, but without combat manuevers like Bull Rush and Grapple).

So what you're saying, is that the GM should know how to run a game, and how to run it for his group. None of this has anything to do specifically with the system that you happen to be running, nor how tight or loose that system is. What it all boils down to is "a GM should know his group, and know the game he intends to run".

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

A good point. It opens up the opportunity to interject that being a good player is just as important as being a good GM. Again, not in any way connected to the system.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
This right here is part of the value of a tight system. If it becomes "all the time", perhaps the GM should review the rules before the next session?

Oh please. The day that I believe that you remember every rule during every session because you've "reviewed" them is the day I buy you an island in the ocean of your choice. smile.gif I'm a rules nerd when I'm running a game. I literally shift into "dork GM mode" when I'm running, and spend a few hours reading rules books and setting stuff almost every day. (Not lately, but I'll save you the sob story of not having a group for the last 5 months. Um, or maybe I won't.embarrassed.gif) Yet maybe every 2nd or 3rd session, some weird, unforseen, random situation will come up that nobody can remember a specific rule for.

I guess in short, I think saying "the GM should just know the rules" is a ridiculous supporting argument for an over-ruled system.

QUOTE (Chandon)
This is an excellent example for my next rant.<snip>

And again, an example of bad GMing is given as support for having a rule for everything. And again, I can't help but wonder what systems there are that don't have these situations that provide openings for bad GMing. I've never played one.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
While playing a tighter system can definitely help, the only way to avoid this sort of thing is to not play with GMs that relish in those moments.

Emphasis mine. I think the part I bolded pretty much stands alone. I've not noticed much difference due to the system when my GM was a jackass. I was too busy focusing on the fact that the GM...was a jackass.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon @ Dec 4 2006, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Oh please. The day that I believe that you remember every rule during every session because you've "reviewed" them is the day I buy you an island in the ocean of your choice. smile.gif

I understand that you don't want to be in the position of buying other people islands all the time, but you might want to review the difference between a corrective step to be taken should a particular event (players calling the GM to account) start happening very frequently (or, in the text you quoted, "all the time") and that same event happening at all, ever.

My assertion is that it is good for the players to be able to call the GM to account with page references, and good for them to actually do so. In situations where a rule exists, our group usually finds it in a matter of minutes. It is those situations where no rules or insufficient rules (or contradictory rules—I'm not saying that more rules is always better, as (for example) one can create two rules that are indistinguishable from no rules) exist that significant time is spent determining what the proper course of action is.

cx2: I'm not going to tell you how to play your game. I will argue what does and does not make a good game, and may by extension end up evaluating aspects of your game, but I do not expect you or anyone else to change your personal preferences according to either my conclusions or the thread's consensus (or consensi, as is slightly more probable).

~J
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Chandon)

I'm having a hard time understanding where the noise is coming from. It's not like the slugs are tiny grenades. They're just fragmenting when they hit the target. It's going to be the same noise any bullet makes when it hits a target, either thud or KPWING!
Kesslan
QUOTE (Lovesmasher)
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 4 2006, 05:19 PM)

I'm having a hard time understanding where the noise is coming from. It's not like the slugs are tiny grenades. They're just fragmenting when they hit the target. It's going to be the same noise any bullet makes when it hits a target, either thud or KPWING!

Actually they DO have an explosion (Thats why their called Explosive/EX-Explosive). A very small one mind you but there is a very big difference between a 'fragmenting round' and an 'explosive round'. An 'explosive round' actually uses a certain ammount of explosive within the head. If you want to really look at the details just good 'explosive ammunition'.

Also here's a quicklink for the lazy that sort of brushes over the specifics, in this case with a 20mm round:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...tions/m1018.htm

Explosive ammo of all kinds basically works the same. Though there are still specific subtypes such as HEAP, HE, Airbursting etc. Fragmentary rounds are basically flechette rounds. They do alot more damage, but their not as good at busting through armor because of the fact that the round itself is effectively more fragile, because by design it breaks appart uppon contact. It still has most of its penatrative capability at the intial impact point of course but it's the force of that impact that fragements the round, not some explosive charge.

Yes, I know there are 'fragmentation' rounds that use an explosive charge but theres plenty that dont. Just poking about on ammunition information sites can show you the differences rather quickly.

Now on the subject at hand as to people hearing the shot. Well, thats a little different. First off the a silencer/suppresor will never completely silence a standard round. Thats why alot of asassination pistols use low velocity ammunition of a small caliber (.22 or 9mm). Though the EX-EX round would still make a noise when it hit the target it shouldnt make the gunshot itself any easier to notice.
cx2
The amount of noise explosive or ex-explosive makes I notice is arguable, depending where it detonates. However the guy in question was asking for trouble.

In this clue file he was going to meet a guy who had demands for the return of a relative. I believe it was a hotel, but I could be wrong. He forgot about security cameras and witnesses that would not only see the team entering and leaving the room, but also saw this guy break down the door with no good cause. All the other players seemed to be in a state of shock from the description, not least when he yells at the guy a little then just blasts him with his supressed SMG. I think somehow that would make the news.

As to the original quesiton I submit it is a matter of the GM not keeping control if he permits silly called shots, or even silly longshot tests. And if there are too many longshot tests then I submit you have an issue with edge and the refreshing thereof, not an innate problem in the longshot mechanic.

Any actions, no matter how basic, should be considered to be subject to GM approval. I mean there are rules for improvising weapons, but that doesn't mean you can use some chewing gum, string and a can of coke to make an improvised SMG.
Lovesmasher
QUOTE (Kesslan)
QUOTE (Lovesmasher @ Dec 5 2006, 01:53 AM)
QUOTE (Chandon @ Dec 4 2006, 05:19 PM)

Actually they DO have an explosion (Thats why their called Explosive/EX-Explosive). A very small one mind you but there is a very big difference between a 'fragmenting round' and an 'explosive round'. An 'explosive round' actually uses a certain ammount of explosive within the head. If you want to really look at the details just good 'explosive ammunition'.

Also here's a quicklink for the lazy that sort of brushes over the specifics, in this case with a 20mm round:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...tions/m1018.htm

Explosive ammo of all kinds basically works the same. Though there are still specific subtypes such as HEAP, HE, Airbursting etc. Fragmentary rounds are basically flechette rounds. They do alot more damage, but their not as good at busting through armor because of the fact that the round itself is effectively more fragile, because by design it breaks appart uppon contact. It still has most of its penatrative capability at the intial impact point of course but it's the force of that impact that fragements the round, not some explosive charge.

Yes, I know there are 'fragmentation' rounds that use an explosive charge but theres plenty that dont. Just poking about on ammunition information sites can show you the differences rather quickly.

Now on the subject at hand as to people hearing the shot. Well, thats a little different. First off the a silencer/suppresor will never completely silence a standard round. Thats why alot of asassination pistols use low velocity ammunition of a small caliber (.22 or 9mm). Though the EX-EX round would still make a noise when it hit the target it shouldnt make the gunshot itself any easier to notice.

But the book says it's a solid slug, not a slug containing explosives.
Moon-Hawk
Maybe it's a slug made of solid explosives. Eh? Eh?
I have no idea.
Cain
All right, let's draw some conclusions from another thread.

It has been almost unanimously argeed upon that the purpose of rules is to provide fairness and predictability to the game. This isn't about roleplaying, it's about roleplaing games, and games have rules that are meant to be followed, not broken at a whim.

No rules, no game. A simple statement of fact. ANd GM fiat breaks the law of predictability, since it is by nature arbitrary; it also breaks the law of fairness, for much the same reason. Rule 0 away enough rules, and you no longer have a storytelling game, you have characters in someone else's story.
Chandon
The entire fluff text for explosive rounds is:
Explosive rounds are solid slugs designed to fragment and explode on impact.

That's even less clear than just leaving the word "Explosive" as the entire description. Would actually figuring out what was meant by "explode", what the consequences of that decision would be, and adding another sentence or two to clarify have been that hard?
James McMurray
QUOTE (Cain)
All right, let's draw some conclusions from another thread.

It has been almost unanimously argeed upon that the purpose of rules is to provide fairness and predictability to the game. This isn't about roleplaying, it's about roleplaing games, and games have rules that are meant to be followed, not broken at a whim.

No rules, no game. A simple statement of fact. ANd GM fiat breaks the law of predictability, since it is by nature arbitrary; it also breaks the law of fairness, for much the same reason. Rule 0 away enough rules, and you no longer have a storytelling game, you have characters in someone else's story.

Again, you keep spewing this line, but it's still utter crap. Making a rules decision doesn't automatically turn a good GM into a bad one, and there's nothing in the situation that forces the GM to be inconsistent. Likewise there's nothing in the situation that forces him to be unfair.

We get that you think inconsistency and unfairness are wrong. I agree with you, and think most people would. The rulebook itself (in the GM Advice section) agree with you.

What makes no sense is your automatic assumption that any GM making a decision is immediately going to be unfair and inconsistent. SR4 (indeed any game) sometimes requires that rules decisions be made*. SR4 (indeed, pretty much any game with good GM Advice) tells the GM to be fair and consistent. If he does one but not the other you can't point the finger at the game.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Chandon)
The entire fluff text for explosive rounds is:
Explosive rounds are solid slugs designed to fragment and explode on impact.

That's even less clear than just leaving the word "Explosive" as the entire description. Would actually figuring out what was meant by "explode", what the consequences of that decision would be, and adding another sentence or two to clarify have been that hard?

Do a search for Ex-ex or explosive and read the 36 other threads on this subject. You'll get all the interpretations you want and then some. smile.gif
Chandon
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Dec 5 2006, 02:28 PM)
Do a search for Ex-ex or explosive and read the 36 other threads on this subject. You'll get all the interpretations you want and then some. smile.gif

That's the problem, not a solution to the problem. nyahnyah.gif
James McMurray
That's because there currently is no solution to the "problem," just lots and lots of options to choose your favorite from.
Fortune
One would think that if Ex-Explosive ammunition were supposed to make a noticably larger noise than regular ammunition, that somewhere in the last 3 editions of the game there would have been a modifier, or even just a small mention of that fact. Since there is no mention of any 'big bang' associated with either Explosive or Ex-Explosive ammunition, any such ruling would be GM fiat (or a house rule if it was established beforehand).
Cain
What makes no sense is your automatic assumption that any GM making a decision is immediately going to be unfair and inconsistent. SR4 (indeed any game) sometimes requires that rules decisions be made*. SR4 (indeed, pretty much any game with good GM Advice) tells the GM to be fair and consistent. If he does one but not the other you can't point the finger at the game.

When the percentage of GM decisions is high enough, you most certainly can, and should, blame the game. When you buy a game book, you're buying rules. If those rules are incomplete, inconsistent, or largely consist of: "Make it up as you see fit", then you haven't got your money's worth.

By the way, nice attempt to shift my language. I said any GM fiat decision is, by definition, *arbitrary*. Not necessarily inconsistant, but definitely unpredictable from the standpoint of the player. Fiat is also a decision of "Because I said so", so someone is going to not have a chance to affect the game like they normally would. That's decidedly unfair.

Let's use an example we agree on. The GM wants the PC's to be captured. The PC's start a firefight, but the GM simply says: "You lose, and wake up in a cell." This might advance the story and lead to all kinds of wonderful scenarios (Good GMing) but is still unfair and arbitrary.

So, this is not a good GM/bad GM dichotomy. It's a player-driven GM versus a story-driven one. And the story should never outshine the players.
James McMurray
I said any GM fiat decision is, by definition, *arbitrary*. Not necessarily inconsistant, but definitely unpredictable from the standpoint of the player.

Have you ever actually seen a dictionary? Inconsist means unpredictable. Also, unfairness due to unpredictability makes no sense. You don't have to know how something works for it to be fair.

Let's use an example we agree on. The GM wants the PC's to be captured. The PC's start a firefight, but the GM simply says: "You lose, and wake up in a cell." This might advance the story and lead to all kinds of wonderful scenarios (Good GMing) but is still unfair and arbitrary.

Totally BS example. There is nothing in the rules or lack thereof that tells the GM to just say "you're captured." I agree that it's crappy GMing, but it's in no way caused by using the SR4 rule set. In fact, it's in direct violation of how the rulebook says it should be used.

So, this is not a good GM/bad GM dichotomy. It's a player-driven GM versus a story-driven one. And the story should never outshine the players.

I agree that your example was very story-driven. Now prove that a GM making a rule decision is forcing a story-driven game instead of player-driven one. Otherwise it's just another of your tangents.
Chandon
In the "What are rules for?" thread, the top two contenders are "fairness" and "predictability".

The whole point of game development is that a game system that is fair and consistent can be produced by people intentionally trying to accomplish that.

GM fiat due to a loose rule set is the exact opposite. Rather than having a consistent and well thought out set of rules, one person has to come up with something on the spot. That's definitely not predictable, and it's probably not going to be consistent. Something that is inconstant and unpredictable is going to end up being unfair a good chunk of the time.
fistandantilus4.0

Address the issue, not the person

Cain, GM fiat would be more along the lines of saying that "x" doesn't work or does work as the case may be , because the GM decides it is so, without any explanation. "you lose, no I'm not going to allow you to roll" is more like GM a-hole issues IMO.
James McMurray
Again, you're assuming that GM decisions will be unpredicatable and inconsistent. That's a possibility, but it's in direct violation of how SR4 tells you to play. If a game says do X but you do Y, it's not the game's fault that you chose the wrong path.

Unless you can prove that loose rules force unpredicatability, inconsistency, and unfairness despite the exhortation against it in the rules themselves, then it boils down to Good vs Bad GMing practices.

If your GM sucks, fix your GM, because he'll probably suck no matter what the game.
James McMurray
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Address the issue, not the person

Sorry. Edited it out.
fistandantilus4.0
danke

I agree with your last post BTW, a good Gm can go a long ways to making the rules flow well, even if there are some consistency issues. A bad one, same thing, the other way. I know Cain's point is more that there shouldn't have to be so many GM's calls. I'm still of the opinion that it's a matter of personal taste, but a good GM can go a long ways to avoid to many of those issues cropping up, or at least deal with them quickly.
James McMurray
Definitely. It's always down to personal taste over how tight or loose a ruleset should be. If loose rulesets were undeniably bad World of Darkness wouldn't have made it past their first book. My problem with the thread (and Cain and my continuing conversation) is people trying to hold up their subjectives as if they were absolutes.
Chandon
Every time a GM makes a call, there's a chance (P) that it will be inconsistent with the rules or a previous call. No one is perfect, so that chance is always non-zero. The chance of making N calls without any inconsistent calls is (1-P)^N. There *will be* bad calls.

Every one of those calls sets a precedent - just like there was a rule in the book - that the players will use form their mental image of the laws of the game world straight. The less calls a GM makes, the less of a mess they have to deal with when a bad call does come up and starts to interact with other bad calls.

When I GM, I try to avoid this by making the most conservative calls possible. I'm actually preparing for a SR4 game this week, and I've had to make a number of rulings just to get one of my players through character generation. More than once, I've had to say "The rules there are unclear and I don't want to set a precedent right now, let's just not go there". Having to say that sucks.

James McMurray
Ummm..... Dude? By that setup there's gonna be bad calls no matter what. Just like no person is perfect, neither is any game perfect. Sure, looser systems require more calls, but better GMs make better calls. SR4 with a good GM can have much better consistency than d20 with a crappy one.

The important thing to do is make sure, as a group, that the calls are good for you. If you're unwilling or unable to do that, you should probably find a tighter system.

Having to say that sucks.

Uh... So don't say it? Make a call. Use the time you have now instead of in the game to think it through and discuss it with the players and make the best call you can make for your group.

As an example, let's say you and I went to a gun range. On the wall are two rules: stay in your lane and don't shoot people. I tell you that although the rule doesn't specify, you should remain consistent fair when trying to determine what creatures to shoot. Is it my fault that when your dog wanders in you blow him away, even though you let your parakeet fly by without even pointing the gun his way?
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Again, you're assuming that GM decisions will be unpredicatable and inconsistent.

of course he is. his whole point is that a game shouldn't have to depend on being run by a good GM to be fun. a game that depends that heavily on the GM is going to really suck when run by a GM who, for whatever reason, isn't up to the task. a game that's more able to stand on its own is more likely to be fun even if the GM is less than awesome.

you're sounding like a Microsoft tech answering a call about their Genuine Advantage software. something's wrong with it? must be on the user end! buy another copy of Windows, filthy pirate!
James McMurray
a game that's more able to stand on its own is more likely to be fun even if the GM is less than awesome.

I've played great games with crappy GMs and it's always been crappy. Give me a good GM any day, and I'll play damn near any system. Hell, I've even had fun with WoD LARP, whose resolution system is rock-paper-scissors because we had a good GM. I've also had a horrible time playing the exact same game because of a crappy GM.

Again, a good GM will make a game better. And to follow your failure path (inconsistent and unfair) he has to be a downright crappy and egotistical GM, because even a mediocre one will read the rule book and do what it tells you to to when GMing (which is oddly enough to be fair and consistent).

you're sounding like a Microsoft tech answering a call about their Genuine Advantage software. something's wrong with it? must be on the user end! buy another copy of Windows, filthy pirate!

How so? I've not once said that SR4 wsa perfect. In fact I've said several times that it isn't. What I'm saying is that your position is a subjective one, and therefore not true for everyone. What you're saying is "nuh-uh! I said it so it must be true. Neener neener neener!" (albeit a bit more eloquently)*

You are not going to convince people that your opinion is fact. You may convince them that your opinion is right for them, but that's two different things.

* See, I can exaggerate your stance from what it really is into something ludicrous as well, so why don't we agree to just talk about what people actually say?
mfb
i'm not talking about crappy GMs, i'm talking about less-than-perfect GMs. every game i've played under a crappy GM has, indeed, been crappy. but i've played good games under mediocre GMs and had fun. playing crappy games under those same GMs has, generally, not been fun.

QUOTE (James McMurray)
How so? I've not once said that SR4 wsa perfect. In fact I've said several times that it isn't.

i didn't say you did. i said that your response to just about every objection to the game rules has been "well, the GM should make a good ruling there". heck, you did it in the post just above mine. what happens when the GM isn't equipped to make a good ruling? bad things. no game can prevent that. what a good game can do is limit how often a GM has to make a call, thus effectively limiting the number of opportunities for him to make a bad ruling.
James McMurray
If the GM doesn't actually read the book, and follow the guidelines given, he's a crappy GM.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
If loose rulesets were undeniably bad World of Darkness wouldn't have made it past their first book.

Contrast: "quality", "popularity".

~J
James McMurray
We're discussing subjectives, he was trying to apply one as an absolute. If a loose game is objectively a bad game, it will not be popular. If however, it is subjectively bad, that popularity can stem from being thought of as good by a different group of gamers.
Kagetenshi
I submit that something that is, as much as anything can be said to be, objectively one thing (bad, in this case) can be subjectively considered good.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Dec 5 2006, 04:28 PM)
If the GM doesn't actually read the book, and follow the guidelines given, he's a crappy GM.

buy a new copy of Windows, filthy pirate. (does that count as name-calling?)
fistandantilus4.0
maybe, dunno, busy laughing
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Dec 5 2006, 04:28 PM)

buy a new copy of Windows, filthy pirate. (does that count as name-calling?)

*WHOOOOOSH*
I rarely find myself in this position, but, um, can somebody explain the joke to me?
I don't get it. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012