Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video game defying magical cannon?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
... but if for the sake of argument I accept your definition I cannot significantly disagree with your conclusion.

Sometimes you really make me smile. smile.gif
Tanegar
Um... victory? biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Tanegar)
Um... victory?

Probably not ... I wasn't one of the ones 'debating'. wink.gif
Tanegar
Dammit, I knew I should have quoted Kagetenshi to make it clear whom I was addressing. frown.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 2 2006, 07:51 AM)
Dammit, I knew I should have quoted Kagetenshi to make it clear whom I was addressing.

It's never too late to edit. wink.gif

The problem was probably caused by my page settings, which put my post at the top of a new page. Sorry for any misunderstanding. smile.gif
Egregius
I'm surprised Deus Ex wasn't mentioned before halfway page 4; when a friend described that game to me (still haven't played it darnit) I was amazed by how much it resembled Shadowrun in the sense that it was cyberpunk and an RPG (in the sense of character-development and equipment acquisition). It only missed the fantasy-element and the team-element.

For the fantasy element, adding optional races and the possibility of being a spell-caster isn't completely undoable (if games like Oblivion and Elder Scrolls IV can do it..).
And the team-element could be copied directly from Rainbow Six.

Voila, a Shadowrun game in all but name, just by copying and combining the best elements from other games.

Just two problems: the character creation/development that would come into play would mean people can't just plug in and play, they'd have to invest massive time even before they can play; not really the thing the Xbox 360 crowd would be waiting for I'm afraid.

Secondly, the team that is developping this game doesn't seem very experienced. And let's face it, Shadowrun isn't the kind of name that instantly rakes in millions, the kind of IP you'd tie your best development teams to, so no surprise there.
eidolon
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I consider it to be a proof-of-concept. I wouldn't want Deus Ex with Trolls, no. That said, mind explaining your objection?

~J

Sure. I loved the visuals, concept, all that jazz of Deus Ex (although I never got to finish it...I should go find a cheap copy), but if I could make a Shadowrun game it would be more like say, Arcanum, in terms of scope, game play, etc. A huge world that you could wander around in, and a huge story and gargantuan amount of side-plots to get involved in. It's also one of the best games I've seen as far as character creation option depth and replayability. Oh, and it isn't an FPS. wink.gif
Fix-it
that said. Deus ex would make an excellent base for a SR total conversion
SL James
You mean it isn't?

What are all those references in Loose Alliances about, then?
Egregius
Errr...enlighten a noob?
SL James
BTW, I'm not entirely familiar with all of the Deus Ex mythos, but I think the UCAS and North America in general had enough of a problem with one threat to overthrow their governments without canonizing UNATCO into SR.

There are a bunch of reference to Deus Ex in the UN subchapter of Loose Alliances. Like the one I just mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012