Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video game defying magical cannon?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
SL James
Just like EA does.

Oh, wait...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
if it sells gangbusters, they can offer a few free packs at no real loss.

What's their incentive? They don't need to spur sales in your hypothetical scenario, they already know they've got a winner—this is the situation in which it's most likely that they'll charge for absolutely everything including the horse armor. It's if sales are mediocre but passable that free content becomes at all probable—it would possibly drive new sales of the base game.

~J
mfb
free content keeps the game fresh in the minds of gamers, making it easier to sell a sequel.
Kagetenshi
But if it sells like gangbusters, there's no need to keep it fresh—it already is.

~J
mfb
'cos people don't get tired of playing the same levels over and over. i'm not going to eat a two-month-old apple just because it was fresh when i bought it.
Lazerface
Since they announced the beta, their forums have been flooded with people who're interested in the game but have no idea what Shadowrun really is. It's all dependant on if this thick slice of nubcaek (read: target demographic) likes this game.
SL James
That's hilarious.
Lazerface
I wish.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
'cos people don't get tired of playing the same levels over and over.

de_dust.

~J
mfb
the fact that a free mod is what made Half-Life so insanely popular doesn't strike you as being somewhat counter to your point? 'sides, HL's a fluke. show me a trend, and you'll have an argument.

edit: hah, just noticed my pun.
Kagetenshi
No, it doesn't. If you make a game moddable, you can, if you do your creation of the original game and the modding tools correctly, sit back and wait for other people to do the free work to give you extra replayability. Regardless, my point is that people, at least some (significant) number of people, do not get tired of playing the same levels over and over, even the same level, singular, over and over and over and over.

I'm not seeing any benefit for giving away more than a token amount of content for free when they could sell it, assuming the game is a hit.

Edit: as for trends, I seem to remember one or two maps in Halo being overwhelmingly popular, but I don't do a great deal of pick-up multiplayer gaming so I can't make any far-reaching statements.

~J
mfb
you're mistaken in your point. you've provided a single example and base your entire argument on it, without considering that--as i said--your example is basically a fluke. it's something other game manufacturers would love to duplicate, but rarely manage.

new content, free or not, is both advertising and an excuse to advertise. whether or not to charge for that content is something that basically boils down to a question of whether or not you think you can get away with asking for money. a new skin, a new level that is mostly re-used elements from other elements, stuff like that? no reason to charge for it--the intent is to get it out to as many people as possible, so that your game continues to generate buzz; and the content itself is minor enough that most people wouldn't bother shelling out for it anyway. you could save it up and release thirty skins and five maps all at once, for $15--but then you wouldn't be constantly feeding the gaming community new stuff. and it's not like that stuff takes much in terms of man-hours--you can have your newbie employees cut their teeth on it, gaining them valuable experience without detracting from more important projects.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 29 2006, 09:25 AM)
the fact that a free mod is what made Half-Life so insanely popular doesn't strike you as being somewhat counter to your point?

Er, I suspect that HL was a kickass game by itself probably had more to do with that. In fact it is likely the other way around, the mods took off like they did because there was a large HL base to start with.

Not to mention the far more important aspect that you're missing, that the mods were not only free for users (until they started selling Counterstrike) but also damn close to free to Valve.
mfb
yes, HL was a kickass game by itself that would have generated a sequel without help. no, HL would not be nearly as popular as it has become without CS. as for free--like i said, pumping out new content isn't a process that has to involve very many high-value man-hours.
Tanka
Look at NWN. The biggest reason it succeeded so well is its toolset and GM client.

With enough time and effort, you could make anything in that game. There was a Firefly game out there (though I never played it, I did hear it did well), people were working on the d20 Modern Mod (and still are, I hear), Persistant Worlds all over the place, user-made modules, CEP, PrC pack...

Seriously. Give people a way to mod a game, and that launches the game to a whole new level.
2bit
I don't see how you can mod an XBOX 360 game. Seeing as how this is the flagship product for "Live Anywhere", I doubt they will encourage anything that could potentially undermine the PC-XBOX crossover community. There will be no user mods.

You can also rule out Micro-payment-soft offering something as major as a completely new game mode for free, except as an incentive item if the game does poorly at retail.
Tanka
It's for Vista as well, if I recall.

The Dungeon Siege series was released on MS's lineup, and those are moddable as well. Halo for PC can use mods.
2bit
Dungeon Siege is already an established franchise on PC, with a single-player game focus. You can't compare the two. And I haven't seen any news regarding PC-XBOX 360 crossover games other than Shadowrun. Where did you get that info?
Tanka
What, SR being on Vista?

Check the webpage. It has icons for X-Box 360 and Vista.

Halo (the original, for PC) supported mods, IIRC. I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure I saw them floating around when the game came out for PC.
mfb
QUOTE (2bit)
Dungeon Siege is already an established franchise on PC, with a single-player game focus. You can't compare the two. And I haven't seen any news regarding PC-XBOX 360 crossover games other than Shadowrun. Where did you get that info?

i can't imagine they'd only do a single dual-platform game. even if the game fails horribly because of some sort of problem with the dual-platform setup, they'll try again with another game and eventually get it to work right.

as for modding an XBox game, they've been doing that for years, albeit with modded XBoxes. i can definitely see some sort of "user-created content area" being put in place on XBox Live, where you can download mods for games.
lorechaser
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (2bit)

i can't imagine they'd only do a single dual-platform game. even if the game fails horribly because of some sort of problem with the dual-platform setup, they'll try again with another game and eventually get it to work right.

That's actually one thing that's expected to drive sales of the game - it's the first game to use the Windows Live system to allow 360 and PC players to play together.

I know that helped propel FFXI to the forefront of online console gaming.
2bit
Just checked the SR video game boards - definintely no mod support, for the reasons I listed above. can't have mods in an environment where PC and console play against each other.
blakkie
QUOTE (Tanka @ Nov 29 2006, 01:36 PM)
It's for Vista as well, if I recall.

The Dungeon Siege series was released on MS's lineup, and those are moddable as well.  Halo for PC can use mods.

The difference is that a mix of Vista and XBox360 Shadowrun gamers can play in the same instance of the game. So any mod MUST work in both Vista and XBox360. Which is where making it modable becomes very tricky (as historically console games don't support mods), and which is why the Dungeon Siege and Halo(PC) examples you give are not directly applicable.

Maybe in the future there will be games that do it, but they've got their technical plate full with just getting the game itself to work with both 360 and Vista players. One hurdle at a time.
James McMurray
So why not just make the Xbox 360 run Windows Vista? Seems like that would have saved them tons of trouble in the long run.
2bit
They're just not going to let you run home brewed mods on their console. It represents a risk to their machine, the integrity of fair online play, "Hot Coffee" incidents, and it giving up control of content distribution.
blakkie
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Nov 30 2006, 11:17 AM)
So why not just make the Xbox 360 run Windows Vista? Seems like that would have saved them tons of trouble in the long run.

What? An 360 emulator running under Vista, and that's a machine code level of emulation since the 360 runs with 3 parallel custom PowerPC CPUs.....so people with PCs can pirate 360 games. Er, yeah.

Like 2bit says, they aren't likely to open up consoles that much in the future (whethere they technically can or not). Yes there are mod chips out there for the XBox to let you do some of those things, but they tend to eventually lead to the death of your Live account. Because MS wants to keep control. *shrug*

EDIT: There is a trend now (whether you think it is a good thing or not) to wringing more revenue out of games rather than just trying to build sales with free content. EA has on the 360 taken it to the point of blurring the line between selling you extra things on top of the game you bought and selling you only part of the game and then charging extra if you want the "whole" game.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)
What? An 360 emulator running under Vista, and that's a machine code level of emulation since the 360 runs with 3 parallel custom PowerPC CPUs.....

The correct objection would be to the time and expense required to port Vista to a custom in-order PowerPC chip—emulation doesn't enter into the picture.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The correct objection would be to the time and expense required to port Vista to a custom in-order PowerPC chip—

Attempting to retrofit 360s with a chopped down Vista would be so insane I didn't even mention attempting that. wink.gif Of course the OS for the 360's successor is likely to siphon off some of the code from Vista, as that's what's historically happened.

However that takes years to happen because of all the chopping you have to do to fit it in, and in the end you're left with something that is only incidentally compatible (otherwise the console's price would be doubled or more) and still executing different machine code.
lorechaser
QUOTE (blakkie)
EDIT: There is a trend now (whether you think it is a good thing or not) to wringing more revenue out of games rather than just trying to build sales with free content. EA has on the 360 taken it to the point of blurring the line between selling you extra things on top of the game you bought and selling you only part of the game and then charging extra if you want the "whole" game.

But I expect that to do badly - the microtransations and serial content things are new. If we, as consumers, don't buy into them, they won't go on.

If we do, apparently we're not that concerned. wink.gif
James McMurray
What? An 360 emulator running under Vista, and that's a machine code level of emulation since the 360 runs with 3 parallel custom PowerPC CPUs.....so people with PCs can pirate 360 games. Er, yeah.

Peaople with PCs will already be able to pirate 360 games. They'll have to buy an actual 360, but sales revenue from console games doesn't come primarily from the console itself anyway.

But what I was suggesting was not to have an Xbox emulator, but to use the same hardware too. Make the console effectively a suped up to the max computer. People are going to hack the software eventually, so why not make it user friendly and be on their side instead. It's not the Microsoft Way, but it's certainly worked elsewhere.

What I'm saying is develop the two in parallel and ensure that your BSP on the 360 can handle the necessary calls made by Vista. Then you've got games that function identically on both platforms and can support modding because any mod for one side works for the other. You also get the ability to develop nongames for the 360 and dual sell them on PC.
2bit
Make the console effectively a suped up to the max computer.

and how do you sell a suped up to the max computer at a console price?
bishop186
Microsoft and Sony have shown how you do that -- by taking a loss. They'd just be taking more of a loss.
Kagetenshi
Also, you get some kilometerage out of the fact that, as alluded to earlier, consoles don't need to perform some tasks nearly as well as a general-purpose computer, so you can save resources (and cost) on things like out-of-order execution and other stuff that, not being a console developer, I'm not familiar with.

~J
James McMurray
Which is why you just make sure that the BSP on both chips can handle the Vista system calls. It doesn't actually have to be the same hardware, that just makes it easier.

Console development is similar to other dedicated systems development, but it's halfway between PCs and a strict one-purpose unit. The PowerPC itself is just one of a bunch of options for "tighter" chips. You could write it so that Vista ran on the PowerPC if you wanted to. Most of the work on a console is going to be done by peripherals like the video card and input device (controller/keyboard/mouse) anyway.
hyzmarca
The problem is RAM. Vista, or any complete operating system, is going to eat a lot of RAM. Video game consoles have very fast RAM but they never really have enough of it. Heck, many PC games have to be downgraded to fit console RAM limitations.
Its okay if your just going to run basic programs, but having a highly advanced game running through a full OS is just asking for trouble.
James McMurray
Not if Vista were designed well (yeah, right).
fistandantilus4.0
Bring it back to the SR game specifically please or to general gaming.
Lacien
I'm aggravated about the Shardowrun 360 game and pin a lot of the blame on Halo - one of the least intense or innovative FPS in years that is fun when played in large groups but otherwise is a waste of time... i mean, the single player in that game is like a b-sci fi film.

Anyway, Shadowrun 360 looks like it'll be one of the few 4 person split screen games available on the Xbox that might actually sell. I own a 360 and can personally say that having bought 4 controllers immediately isn't worth the partial graphical improvements of X-Men Legends 2 for the original X-box... I feel that SR is supposed to warm up the multiplayer FPS market to sate people's appetite for Halo 3, and not to sell on it's own. I mean why else go full force into multiplayer split screen? I love counter strike and all, but a console shooter is nothing compared to a computer shooter and besides as much as X-box live might seem neat it's not as nice as steam which may eat memory but not extra cash.

In any case, I signed up for the beta of Shadowrun because even though I hate what they did to the lore and seem full tilt toward making excuses to us while pumping up console shooter fanatics with 1337 pwnage I feel it's worth a bit of my time to beta. And even if I don't get in, it might be worth trashing the game on the forums but spending some cash to shell out in hopes that maybe next time they'll make a game that actually has something to do with Shadowrunning. They say they can't change now because programming it again would be a pain? Well, that's believable enough, after all the game was under wraps it seems until the lore was already gutted, but supporting the franchise or name brand is more important in my opinion. Shadowrun needs no video game franchise, but done right it could be pretty sweet.

If they butcher the game a second go around though... I'd pass on supporting.

Oh and no, if I didn't have an Xbox 360 already I wouldn't bother considering the game.
James McMurray
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Bring it back to the SR game specifically please or to general gaming.

Sorry, I haven't followed the game much, but get easily distracted when conversations steer their way towards one of my few areas of expertise. smile.gif
Eleazar
I just do not understand what they were trying to do with this game. I actually did not start avidly getting into the Shadowrun universe until earlier this year at the GenCon in INDY where I tested it out. I did a test run and loved the game and knew I was going to have to buy it, then the game wins two ENYs and it was just icing on the cake. The only reason I had been upset before was because I was a huge fan of the SEGA game and then I heard the crap they were pulling with this amazing IP. After I had gotten into PnP Shadowrun I realize how much of a terrible and egregious deviation they had made from canon. They could have done so much to make this game live up to the potential any Shadowrun IP title deserves, instead they blacken the eye of the fanbase, and quite possibly its creators and freelancers(I do not know I can not speak for them).

The question that keeps going through my mind is why they even bothered to call this game Shadowrun. Lets be honest, even though they "fixed" some of the problems with the story and background, they were not sufficient. All they accomplished with that is the attempt in dressing up a sewage dump to look like the Hermitage.

The truth is, this could have been a really cool and awesome game that would have SR fans everywhere rushing to the stores to buy it. Now they have alienated the fans which made up the market they wanted to tap into. Everything seems so backwards. Would anyone in their right mind make a Star Wars game that isn't even representative of the universe.

This is terrible execution. The game itself doesn't even look that spectacular. It isn't anything we haven't seen before. There is already a better dystopian game out there and it is free and gets even better and better. Not surprisingly this game is called Dystopia, and it is a mod for the Source engine.

Why don't these guys have any sense? Please answer this question.

EDIT:
Maybe, with this game all they saw was green. They thought about the lowest common denominator. They saw games like Halo and Counterstrike that were very successful and thought, "If only we could pull this off with Shadowrun it would be amazing." I don't think I will be picking up this game. Do they realize who they are going to be going up against? It is coming out sometime in 2007 my guess is spring. They already missed the oppurtunity to release the game before Gears of War. Lets look at a list of games they will be competing against for the X360.

Alan Wake
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Lost Planet
Half-Life 2 (improved for the X360 with better textures and graphics, comes with the expansion too)
GRAW 2
COD3

Realize these are just the games that have release dates listed and are FPS. There are plenty of other FPSs that are TBA and other cool games in other genres. In the PC market the competition gets more fierce.

Add everygame in the X360 list except for Lost Planet
In addition:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
UT 2007
COD3
Crysis (Possibly)
Quake Wars (Possibly)

If they wanted to get away with releasing this game they should have released it before Gears of War. Now it is slated to be released late Q1 or Q2 of 2007. Not to mention this game doesn't even come close to delivering in the graphics department which is what the X360 market is all about. The game looks last gen which isn't a very good thing when you are competing against an already released game like Gears of War.

Alright I better stop because I could really go on the whole day.

Tanegar
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Capture the Flag is a rock. People know what it is, they know how it works. It's a known stable element to put all these new conventions up against.

QUOTE (2bit)
FPS is a rock. Present the player with a first person perspective and put a gun in their hands and they will run around shooting people.

IMO, both of you are starting from a flawed premise, namely that Shadowrun lends itself to the FPS format. It doesn't. RPGs are also a rock, and that's what FASA Studio should be doing with the property.
lorechaser
Possibly.

But the devs they gave it to know FPS. So they decided to create an FPS.

Maybe they should have picked a different group of devs, but they didn't.

We've all accepted that it's not the genre we'd have picked. The argument now is really whether the change of genre kills the game, or just creates an odd situation. wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 1 2006, 12:01 PM)
IMO, both of you are starting from a flawed premise, namely that Shadowrun lends itself to the FPS format.  It doesn't.

I would find it difficult to disagree with you more. See Deus Ex, for example.

~J
eidolon
Deus Ex was Shadowrun-ish, but hardly what I would consider to be a glowing example of how to make a Shadowrun game.
Kagetenshi
I consider it to be a proof-of-concept. I wouldn't want Deus Ex with Trolls, no. That said, mind explaining your objection?

~J
Eleazar
I think the whole FPS excuse is a cop out. They could have made an FPS with at least some RPG elements. Maybe even something like what Natural Selection does with their upgrades, or some of the CounterStrike source RPG mods out there. Pretty much you gain levels in the game as you do better. They could have even done something as huge as Battlefield 2's system. Heck I hate to say this, but I think even EA could have done a better Shadowrun game and I despise them.

I partly agree with the Deus Ex idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Deus Ex ends up being closer to Shadowrun than this game. I just look at the time they spent developing this game and I don't see where all that time went. They began development on this game with the original Xbox, and the graphics show, but not the gameplay. How long does it seriously take to regurgitate a videogame?
lorechaser
Alas, poor Starcraft: Ghost.

We still mourn for you.
2bit
The game looks last gen which isn't a very good thing when you are competing against an already released game like Gears of War.
What the - you think this looks last-gen?! Just because it doesn't match Gears of War, the game people are saying is the best looking game on the XBOX 360 period, is no reason to start name calling.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I would find it difficult to disagree with you more. See Deus Ex, for example.

~J

Possibly my definition of a first-person shooter is narrower than yours. I consider Deus Ex an RPG that happens to be played from a first-person perspective. You choose how J.C.'s abilities develop, you choose which factions to aid and which to alienate, you choose how the story ends. Taken together, these elements constitute a substantive difference between Deus Ex and first-person shooters.

From what I've read (and granted, I haven't been following that closely, so I may have missed some things), the new Shadowrun video game will be primarily, or possibly exclusively, multiplayer, either minimizing story elements or precluding them altogether. The game will also feature character classes, reducing the degree of player choice in the area of ability development (if such even exists) from that found in the pen-and-paper game. These are the reasons why I consider the game to be such a radical departure as to effectively not be a proper Shadowrun game at all, but merely a cheap knock-off that happens to share the same name.
Kagetenshi
I don't agree with your definition of FPS (though I admit that mine, perhaps somewhat unhelpfully, does not draw any distinction between FPS and RPG—they're orthogonal, much the same way a painting can be both square and blue), but if for the sake of argument I accept your definition I cannot significantly disagree with your conclusion.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012