Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you want the Shadowrun game to do well?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
This isn't a question of whether the game rocks or not. It's a question of whether you want it to succeed. I am divide, so I won't vote.
Tanegar
I was very excited when I learned that another Shadowrun video game was coming out, but my excitement died screaming when I learned that it was going to another frelling multiplayer shooter. It's an unconscionable waste of the license, IMO.
Fortune
I think you should probably make it clear that you are refering to the Shadowrun Video Game, and not the RPG itself.

Of course, that isn't necessary now.
knasser

Although I try not to be so small hearted as to wish their game to do badly, my initial reaction to it is one of offense. Shadowrun has a rich and evocative background with a very distinctive feel to it. So why bother using the name if you're going to throw all of that away? The only reason that comes to mind is to capitalise on the name. If you're merely exploiting something's name to sell something different then I think most of us would agree that this a poor thing to do. Worse, it can tar the image of the RPG when people mentally associate it with a poor FPS.

For those reasons, I dislike it. I'm forbidden from actually wishing failure on the game by my morality, but I find it hard to wish it well at present.
PlatonicPimp
I wish failure on it. The last thing I want is a group of kids asking me why I play an RPG based on a first person shooter. I would have to kill them. I hope it just dissappears from the memory of everyone.
Kagetenshi
I want it to fail. My reaction is based on both spite and rationality—the spite comes from what the game is, and the rational desire comes from what organization profits by the sales.

~J
Protagonist
I sort of hope it does well, even though it looks like crap, in the hopes that better Shadowrun related video games could come of it.
Konsaki
If a crappy game does well, then they will produce more crappy games...
Adam
QUOTE (Tanegar)
I was very excited when I learned that another Shadowrun video game was coming out, but my excitement died screaming when I learned that it was going to another frelling multiplayer shooter. It's an unconscionable waste of the license, IMO.

It's not a waste of the license for that reason -- they have the rights to do more than one game.
krayola red
I hope it does well. It's coming out regardless of whether or not anyone likes it, and if it ends up being popular, it'll draw people to the Shadowrun franchise. If it crashes and burns, that failure would be associated with the Shadowrun name in the minds of anyone who knows of it. And hell, it's not like I have any personal stake in the issue, so why not give 'em a godspeed?
mfb
QUOTE (Adam)
It's not a waste of the license for that reason -- they have the rights to do more than one game.

that's why it's a waste. if they do a game that sells badly, no more SR video games will be made for a while. if they do a non-SR game and slap the SR name on it, and it does well, there still won't be any SR video games made for a while--they'll all be "SR" video games.
Adam
I don't think we'll get SR game now, no matter what. If this "SR" game tanks, I still doubt Microsoft will sell the license to someone else, and even if they would be willing, it will have hurt the value of the license in the eyes of other companies, too.
hyzmarca
So you're saying that only people who are insane can be discharged from the army, and only those who ask for an insanity discharge can be evaluated for one, but anyone who wants to be discharged due to insanity is automatically deemed sane because only an insane person would want to stay in the army?
lorechaser
I guess I'm in the minority when I think the game is close enough to SR to count.

I mean, the old games had mage with full ware running around.

Fundamentally, what does this game do wrong?

It mucks with the races some. I'm okay with that - it's close-ish, and makes a good system from what I've read.

It breaks the timeline a bit. Ehh. I played Star Wars Galaxies. I'm immune to concerns about breaking the timeline.

It's a first person shooter. So is Morrowind, and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, to some extent. I imagine mods coming out to make a Morrowind style experience. And from what I've read, it does a lot to mess with the normal FPS genre. So it becomes "that wierd fps that was based on that one game."

Maybe people will come to the pen and paper game expecting something different. They'll still come....

I would die happy if Bioware took over SR and made a Knights of the Old Republic quality game. But I'm willing to give this one a chance.
mfb
QUOTE (Adam)
I don't think we'll get SR game now, no matter what. If this "SR" game tanks, I still doubt Microsoft will sell the license to someone else, and even if they would be willing, it will have hurt the value of the license in the eyes of other companies, too.

oh, yeah, i agree. i just think that it's a waste of the license whether they're able to produce more than one game or not.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
So you're saying that only people who are insane can be discharged from the army, and only those who ask for an insanity discharge can be evaluated for one, but anyone who wants to be discharged due to insanity is automatically deemed sane because only an insane person would want to stay in the army?

Sounds about right.
Ryu
I voted No, but my reasoning is not based on deviation from canon. The license should have gone to Bioware, but that was not to be.

This use of the license is very unprofessional, and therefore they should fail. They paid for the rights to use the SR background, yet they neither use the strength (ultra-cool tech + magic as different ways to power), nor do they market the game to the shadowrun fan. SR does not gain by this game, but so doesn´t Microsoft, who could have made this game without buying the license.

The game might become a good shooter, but the economist is offended at the thought that the only possible gain they had from buying the license is stopping someone competent from making good use of the license. Market denial is an ugly strategy.
Konsaki
Real life corp warfare... Welcome to Shadowrun 200X... biggrin.gif
Lindt
Sr could have worked as an fps. No question in my mind. However, this is Battlefield 2026, not a proper fps/rpg (in the Deus Ex style that would have worked so damm well). Thus I wish it horrible failure, never minding that its MS.

Lets face it, MS has done nothing but crap on all of FAFSA's old licenses. Crimson Skys was a flop. Mechwarrior would be a flop if it wasent A) so damm easy or B) cheep. And now SR is being perverted into JACTF (just another capture the flag). Besides, from the release dates its going to be in competition with Halo 3.
toturi
I voted yes. It might have been better as a Splinter Cellish stealth shooter, but SR where I live has been dying.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Lindt)
FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid?

~J
lorechaser
I liked Crimson Skies! And it got tons of good reviews. It just didn't do that great in sales.

I'm going to continue to watch the game, and see what happens. It's also possible that MS sat down and looked at the idea of releasing an RPG out of the gate and said "Yeah, this game is pretty weird - I'm not sure anyone but the true fans would really pick it up. Maybe we can start out with something more accessible, then move on to the other games once we see how people respond to it."

I mean, you can say a lot of nasty things about MS, but "You're pretty bad at marketing" really isn't one of them.
mfb
QUOTE (Lindt)
Lets face it, MS has done nothing but crap on all of FAFSA's old licenses. Crimson Skys was a flop. Mechwarrior would be a flop if it wasent A) so damm easy or B) cheep.

i really have to disagree with you. the Mechwarrior games have been, as far as i can tell, pretty popular. they're not the games that everyone slavers in anticipation for, necessarily, but that's more due to the genre than the games themselves. and as for Crimson Skies, where have you been? it's still popular on XBox Live. that game is fun as hell--one of the reasons i got an XBox in the first place.
Tanegar
QUOTE (mfb)
...as for Crimson Skies, where have you been? it's still popular on XBox Live. that game is fun as hell--one of the reasons i got an XBox in the first place.

Lindt may be referring to the PC game, which preceded the Xbox game. I think it's brilliant, but it didn't do well in sales.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (lorechaser)
I mean, you can say a lot of nasty things about MS, but "You're pretty bad at marketing" really isn't one of them.

Zune.

~J
lorechaser
Those are even better! I still play Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Revenge via emulators!
lorechaser
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Nov 27 2006, 10:48 AM)

Zune.

~J

I knew someone would bring it up - I was actually about to edit my post to add "Well, except for Zune." wink.gif

Ryu
We now have another example - buying a license just to annoy users with pre-defined expectations does not make good business sense.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Ryu)
We now have another example - buying a license just to annoy users with pre-defined expectations does not make good business sense.

I'm sure if it were up to Microsoft, they wouldn't have even bought the Shadowrun License way back when. All they wanted was Battletech, but FASA was only offering a package deal.
Kagetenshi
There's this great way to split up package deals called "reselling".

~J
Tanka
Might be they had to sign a contract stating that they weren't allowed to or somesuch.

I dunno. Haven't seen the agreement, so I'm probably just rationalizing something that makes no sense either way.
nezumi
Considering Shadowrun was FASA's cash cow, I rather expect MS didn't need their arm twisted to accept rights to it.
emo samurai
It was their cash cow? Seriously? Why? And why do you think they went out of business?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There's this great way to split up package deals called "reselling".
Once something's been assimilated into the collective, you'll sooner see it wither and die on the vine, than see it sold off to someone else where it might thrive. MS seems to have a phobia over having something turn out to be a hit and be "the one MS let get away."

QUOTE (nezumi)
Considering Shadowrun was FASA's cash cow, I rather expect MS didn't need their arm twisted to accept rights to it.
Cash Cow for a book publishing company doesn't always equate to being a cash cow for a video game maker. At the time that FASA Interactive was sold to Microsoft, there had been two Shadowrun video games released in the US, one in Japan, and one in development. Compare to Battletech's video game franchise, which at the time had what, 6 titles and two expansion packs over a 10 year period?

QUOTE (emo samurai)
It was their cash cow? Seriously? Why? And why do you think they went out of business?

In order:

Yes.

Yes.

It accounted for a large proportion of their income (although Battletech did account for a significant portion as well).

Technically, FASA Corporation is still in business, just a different business. Why do I think they stopped publishing to go into the business of licensing their Intellectual Properties to other companies? I'd say a combination of factors including the general decline of tabletop gaming in the late 90s, their purchase of Ral Partha Miniatures during the merger-frenzy in the RPG industry during the same period, the possible effect that legal settlements with other companies over the years may have had on FASA's bottom line, and FASA co-founder Jordan Weisman wanting to start with a clean slate by starting a new company, WizKids.
Lindt
QUOTE (Tanegar)
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 27 2006, 10:57 AM)
...as for Crimson Skies, where have you been? it's still popular on XBox Live. that game is fun as hell--one of the reasons i got an XBox in the first place.

Lindt may be referring to the PC game, which preceded the Xbox game. I think it's brilliant, but it didn't do well in sales.

There was an Xbox version? Yeah, I mean the PC version was ok, cute and all, but it went no where.
Mechwarrior is pretty much dead, with no new titles in close to 5 years, and the news that Mw5 is dead in the water, with little hope of translation over to the 360.

Yes, FASA... I had my bi-yearly paper work on my desk while I was thinking, so shovel off and let me confuse my acronyms =p
2bit
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Those are even better!  I still play Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Revenge via emulators!

eek.gif eek.gif Great, now I'm having flashbacks... eek.gif eek.gif
. . . the many forgotten hours in front of my 386 are coming back to me. . .
Link
Machinimation (?) might be this game's saving grace, as long as it looks SRish. Some of the HALO movies are mildly entertaining.
BlueRondo
I'd like the game to fail. I don't want the videogame to act as a means of attracting more gamers to Shadowrun, because I don't want the designers of SR5 to feel any obligation to cater to that audience.
lorechaser
QUOTE (BlueRondo)
I'd like the game to fail. I don't want the videogame to act as a means of attracting more gamers to Shadowrun, because I don't want the designers of SR5 to feel any obligation to cater to that audience.

Um.

RPGs are a small enough market that we need anyone we can get....

Turning away potential gamers because they might want something that the designers might someday put in SR5 is pretty counterproductive, and possibly will ensure there won't be an SR5....

BlueRondo
You're right, that was a stupid statement of mine, especially considering that my first exposure to Shadowrun was the SNES game. I suppose getting the "Shadowrun" name out there, even in the warped form of the Xbox/PC game, can't do much harm.
emo samurai
But at least they lifted the story for that out of pretty much every early Shadowrun story.
Kagetenshi
I disagree, but my counterexample to "can't do much harm" would be controversial.

~J
krayola red
Hey, what's the fun in things if they ain't controversial?

I, for one, am interested in hearing your opinion.
BlueRondo
I'm curious.
Kagetenshi
SR4.

See? Controversial cyber.gif

~J
krayola red
Bah!
mfb
QUOTE (Lindt)
Mechwarrior is pretty much dead, with no new titles in close to 5 years, and the news that Mw5 is dead in the water, with little hope of translation over to the 360.

that's... not quite accurate. MechAssault was released in 2002; MechAssault 2 was released in 2004; and MechAssault: Phantom War was released in September of this year.
SL James
QUOTE (lorechaser @ Nov 28 2006, 08:20 PM)
Turning away potential gamers because they might want something that the designers might someday put in SR5 is pretty counterproductive, and possibly will ensure there won't be an SR5....

Oh, God. Don't be so melodramatic. Tell you what. If SR's dead in 2012 (that is, no one is producing material for the license), I'll Paypal you a dollar.

RPGs are always dying. They've been dying for the last, what, 10, 20 years? Basing your hopes on people who may not want or care for the intellectual demands of running SR as a RPG (as opposed to this piece of crap) is a sucker's bet.
Ryu
Well, the game will at least get the name Shadowrun out to the target demographic. From that point on the RPG will have to be convincing on its own.

When reading a preview on the game I was constantly thinking "cool, but not Shadowrun". Maybe they had to use the license in order to keep the rights? If they want to make good money on this, they should resell the license to bioware and see what that does to the bottom line of anything they publish with SR logo on it.
BlueRondo
I'd rather the rights went to, say, Irrational Games - the people behind System Shock (and now Bioshock.) As of late, Bioware doesn't seem to be too keen on making gritty settings; their games have a very clean look to them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012