Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drones
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mercurialrogue
So I'm making a Rigger and I've got this drone, the MTC-Nissan RotoDrone. As I figure, when it gets shot it rolls 5 dice to resist damage. Thats way to low. What am I doing wrong?

As a side note I've put a lot of effort into working through the various other problems associated with creating "decent" drones. I need some help with this one.

Thanks.
Chandon
You know... the fact that is a non-combat flying drone with rotors might be a large factor in its damage resistance suckiness. Five dice is still really bad, but it's not as bad as the combat properties of something like a Steel Lynx - which should be a combat drone.
Wakshaani
Drones use vehicular armor, right? Even the teensy ones?

So Armor 4 will bounce most light pistols, while armor 6 will block most heavy.

Ammo, of course, can change this lots. smile.gif

At any rate, your flying drone with fragle chopper blades should, in general, be *waaaay* up There, maybe with a sniper rifle, rather than down here. Flying is teh defense, not the armor.

You want a tank, buy a tank-like drone.
Dentris
Actually, hardened armor is compared to Total DV, not only base DV. So a light pistol with three net hits will only be blocked by an armor of 7...
DireRadiant
Try these.

About Drones

About Drones

About Drones

About Drones

About Drones

About Drones

A lot on sensors etc.

There's more if you search too. Lot more.
DireRadiant
Yesterday's Drone and Rigger Questions thread!
Mercurialrogue
Radiant,
Thanks for the links to the other topics but I'm on top of those topics.

Though it did raise an interesting question related to my post about the vitality of a drone.
Q.) If capacity for sensors and capacity for cyberlimbs
are considered like, What about "Cyberlimb Enhancements"
going on drones? STR and AGI wouldn't apply but Body and
armor sure would be nice.

They don't require capacity slots but they are costly and resemble "balance".

That aside, I wonder what other Riggers did for weapon load-outs on their drones. Specificly the MTC-Nissan RotoDrone (best RotoDrone suited for combat I could find), and the Steel Lynx.

Thanks.
Chandon
One of the things that's related here is the fact that Hardened Armor doesn't do anything - except on force 10 spirits where it's utterly dumb. But for vehicles - you know, where the hardened armor concept came from - it usually has no game effect.
Jaid
QUOTE (Chandon)
One of the things that's related here is the fact that Hardened Armor doesn't do anything - except on force 10 spirits where it's utterly dumb. But for vehicles - you know, where the hardened armor concept came from - it usually has no game effect.

most vehicles don't *have* hardened armor. they have normal armor and no stun track. this is, in fact, quite different, because while a 40S attack would damage a creature with 20 points of hardened armor, it does a whole lot of nothing to a drone, even if said drone has no armor whatsoever.

anyways, as far as arming vehicles, my personal preferences are to use long range rifles (sniper rifles or sporting rifles) for drones that can fly (i prefer dalmations over the rotodrone though) and the ares alpha for just about anything else.

throw in smart firing platforms for good measure, of course wink.gif
Jack Kain
Jain really has right, flying drones don't and likly won't ever have the armor to stand up to a firefight.

However a Dalmation flying high above with a sniper rifle can be quite an ally. The maximum range of a sniper rifle is 1,500 meters. The range penalty is easily negated with vision magnification.
Even the super adept with a 22 dice pool with his assault rifle would never damage the drone. Even with 8 edge and if all the dice came up six's.
The assault rifle's maximum range is 550 meters.

Even mages with there Line of sight spells may have trouble spoting a drone at nine tenths of a mile.
Chandon
QUOTE (Jaid)
they have normal armor and no stun track.

Wow. That actually ends up being amazing. Apparently SR4 is... just like SR3: Vehicles either die or utterly shrug off attacks.
PlatonicPimp
well, there's cosmetic damage, which has no effect on performance but makes you cringe (they hit, but damage is resisted). On the other hand, there's reala damage, which wrecks your car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012