Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet Another Grenade Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mfb
sounds plausible.

of course, i don't want to give a false impression. during our training with throwing fake grenades at a vehicle, i whanged mine off a tree and it ended up thirty yards to my left instead of under the vehicle twenty yards in front of me.
Kesslan
Which is why I like the grenade scatter rules in SR. The implications of a bad roll can be... well just as bad as the real thing. Like that one time I accientlaly blew up a team member due to a really bad rebound in our direction.

Woops.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)

there was actually a guy in basic who sorta did that. the way we do grenades, you hold the spoon and pull the pin. when you're ready to throw, you release the spoon and then throw the grenade. this guy did everything up to the throwing--pin, spoon, freeze. the drill sergeant whacked his arm over the top of the cement barrier to make him let go.

All the shelters in Basic had the front all chewed up by fragmentation. I found the fact that one of the shelters that you threw the grenades from had the INSIDE all cratered by grenade fragments to be somewhat disturbing. The instructors implied, during their instruction as to how the range was run, that no trainee had managed to get killed while any of them worked there, but it wasn't due to a lack of trying.
Kesslan
It'll happen yet I'm sure.

Makes me wonder what kinda crazy it takes to be a grenade range instructor.
Austere Emancipator
The probability of getting killed as a grenade range instructor is still several orders of magnitude smaller than that of getting killed by friendly fire on any actual battlefield -- so it must be the same kind of crazy it takes to volunteer as a soldier to begin with.
Kesslan
That entirely depends on the army in which you serve, if your speaking of the US armed forces (or working alongside them) however you are aparently statistically correct.

The US has a really bad (and well earned) rep for friendly fire incidents. This is not so with other countries.
Austere Emancipator
Could you name a national military which has taken part in large scale warfare in the past 70 years and that hasn't incurred significant losses to friendly fire and various "accidents"?

Not that it matters, because the amount of friendly fire probably has a direct correlation with the amount of morons dropping live grenades inside the shelters.
Kesslan
Canada is one apparently, there has been quite abit of discussion recently about all the friendly fire deaths in Afghanistan since it's military involvment. All reported incidents (assuming there is a possiblity of unreported ones) of which so far as been at the hands of Americans.

Canada might not have been quite as heavily involved in open warfare since the Korean war, but there were actually quite a few Canadian troops involved in Vietnam, and there has been a great deal of Canadian involment in peacekeeping efforts in open warzones since that time.

Germany is another country thats supposed to have a good record, and they've been quite involved. Same with Britan.

Wikipedia has some info on this. THough it seems to be abit hard to find a reliable internet based source for actual hard statistics.

This page seems to have some information as well.

I'll make another post when I can find some reliable online source with some hard data. I'm sure it's gotta be out there somewhere.

EDIT: Not to mention one that doesnt soley point to US FF statitstics. So far most of the hits are all US on US or US on other countries.
Magus
I resent that remark, I was a member in the Airborne Infantry with the 82nd Airborne Division out of Ft. Bragg. Statistically friendly fire casulties are low. We are trained in visual recognition. That is why most NATO allied forces use the Kevlar helmet. It is distinctly shaped. "If it doesn't look like us, Kill it."

eek.gif
Kesslan
QUOTE (Magus)
I resent that remark, I was a member in the Airborne Infantry with the 82nd Airborne Division out of Ft. Bragg. Statistically friendly fire casulties are low. We are trained in visual recognition. That is why most NATO allied forces use the Kevlar helmet. It is distinctly shaped. "If it doesn't look like us, Kill it."

eek.gif

It's simple fact though, google friendly fire. You'll come up with mostly US FF statistics. I'm not saying this makes it purely all US fault, it's just alot harder to find data on other countries.

http://www.dasa.mod.uk/natstats/deaths/his...aths01mar04.pdf

Is another source, and if you read through it you can see why. 6 of their FF casualties listed as 'by allied forces' were classifed as simply KIA.
Austere Emancipator
It is no wonder most of the reports one can find are related to US troops. The US DoD puts out a hell of a lot of information on absolutely everything, and that data is linked and searched for a lot. Consider also the amount of man-years of US soldiers deployed in hostile areas in the post-WW2 era as compared to those from Canada, Britain, Germany, etc.
Kesslan
You'd be fooling yourself if you think Canadians havent had quite a few troops of their own in war torn countries for years. Canada among other countries have a long and noted contribution to peacekeeping efforts.

Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Croatia, Balklands, Somalia to name just a few of the more recent and better known areas where Canadian troops have been deployed as combatants or peace keepers.

The US has been involved in a few more, but partially thats due to being a great deal more agressive than a number of other countries. Especially durring the Cold War era. The US and Russia both got involved in a great deal of 'warring' as it were.

It's a good part of the reason why Iraq and Afghanistan are the way they are today. And just take a look some time at alot of so called 'rebel' groups in various 3rd world countries. It's hard these days not to see them carrying just as many new or very rleatively new US made weaponry as weaponry made by other powers (The AK is still very big as well dont get me wrong).

And while the US DoD puts out alot of information, so do quite a few other countries armed forces. Alot of the more recent stuff isnt even infantry on infantry, it's US airforce on infantry. I think a large part of it is because the pilots are overly reliant on all their little toys.

It doesnt help that the communications between the various allied forces is often a complete mess (This isnt USA's fault necessarily either. Bosnia had huge problems just like this and thats mostly because the Bosians and Serbs would say one thing, do another, and then attack each other not even a few hours after a mutually agreed upppon 'ceasefire' etc)

You'd be supprised however, how often I hear from people in Canadian/British armed forces commenting on how when you take away the toys, the US military as a whole often does quite poorly. How much of this is actual fact is realy hard for me to say, but I certainly wouldnt hear it so bloody often if it wasnt at least partially true. And even then it's from a decidedly biased sourse, but your going to get that from 'your own side' no matter what country it is anyway unless there's some sort of major unrest.

Austere Emancipator
I can't see how commenting further on this subject would do anybody any good, so I'll let it be. I suggest others do the same, lest this thread becomes one big flame. Anybody who wishes to probe the friendly fire issue further should probably do so at a forum dedicated to such matters.
Kesslan
Fair enough. It I suppose, allways will be a horrifically controvertial (not to mention unfortunate) issue.

So then, to get things abit more on topic.

Remote detonated hand greandes.

How hard would this really be to do? I'm thinking something ala Aliens: Reserection. General Gomez(?) or whoe ver it was, pulled one out, rolled it into that escape pod some soldiers were in when an alien followed them in and started slaughtering eveeryone. The 'spoon' was actually a remote detonator, with apaprently a really good range on it too (he detonated it -after- the escape pod in question cleared the ship.
Butterblume
Not hard at all. After all, everything is wireless anyways.

You probably still want a mechanical safety pin and some time delay until the grenade is primed.

QUOTE (Magus)

Hm, we used the steel helmet. And in the field, we took camouflage seriously. Especially putting enough shrubs onto the helmet, to break up the distinctive contours...
It really got annoying when you had to change camouflage several times a day (our training area was part forest part heath, and what worked in one didn't work as well in the other).
Fortune
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 23 2006, 11:31 PM)
I can't see how commenting further on this subject would do anybody any good, so I'll let it be. I suggest others do the same, lest this thread becomes one big flame.

I'm glad I read the entire thread before responding, so that I had the chance to see your wise advice. While also deeply offended by more than one of the comments made about the US military (and I'm neither a member of that institution, nor even a yank!), I'll not try to stir things up further, but can't help but post my displeasure on the subject.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Dec 23 2006, 11:31 PM)
I can't see how commenting further on this subject would do anybody any good, so I'll let it be. I suggest others do the same, lest this thread becomes one big flame.

I'm glad I read the entire thread before responding, so that I had the chance to see you wise advice. While also deeply offended by more than one of the comments made about the US military (and I'm neither a member of that institution, nor even a yank!), I'll not try to stir things up further, but can't help but post my displeasure on the subject.

@Fortune:
Well, by all means feel free to private message me if you want to discuss/debate the whole thing. One can, afterall only base oppinions based uppon one's knowledge on hand aquired however it may be from what ever ultimate source. And with all things there's very often distortion, real or percieved.

Personally even if I dont necessarily agree with something I still find often enough some of these debates can be quite educational.

@Butterblume:
Hmm, maybe a 'saftey' cover over the detonator button too? I'm debating how to 'properly' portray something like that in a relatively realistic manner. The detonator part as you say is relatively easy on it's own.
Butterblume
The chars I created for SR4 for me to play all had an internal commlink (even the mage), so they could detonate the grenades with just a thought.

But yes, a safety feature for the wireless grenade detonater would certainly be useful. It would make the grenade more flexible. Or you could use sensors and use it as a thrown mine.

One idea: pulling the safety pin allows you to extract the remote control, which also starts the countdown to prime the grenade (duration can of course be set beforehand).
The remote control could be shaped like a common lighter. The red button™ is protected by a cap (like some lighters have). You can flip it up with your thumb and get access to the detonator button.

Hm, I hope I explained it good enough, 'Glühwein', a traditional christmas mulled wine, makes thinking hard... spin.gif

Edit: the War Nerd's newest article has some good bashing of basically everybody: http://www.exile.ru/2006-December-15/war_nerd.html
(just to get everybody into the christmas spirit)
Charon
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 23 2006, 06:21 AM)
Canada is one apparently, there has been quite abit of discussion recently about all the friendly fire deaths in Afghanistan since it's military involvment. All reported incidents (assuming there is a possiblity of unreported ones) of which so far as been at the hands of Americans.

Well, of course.

It's just basic probabilities.

I mean, it's not like the Italians or even the French do a lot of bombing in locations where our troops are engaged in a military operation, you know.

The Americans, for better or worse, conduct more military operations of all sort than all the other NATO countries combined. And even more so they conduct the almost totality of all the bombing missions (which accounts for most FF) conducted by a NATO member in any given year.

It's not exactly a surprise that they'll provoke far more friendly fire casualties and other mishaps than everybody else. Few other occidental countries even have opportunities for friendly fire.

I bet if any other NATO country drastically stepped up for any reason the number of bombing runs they do in a year, their friendly fire statistics would be far worse proportionally to those of the Americans during the first two years or so by simple virtue of lacking comparable experience.

Canada might not have been quite as heavily involved in open warfare since the Korean war, but there were actually quite a few Canadian troops involved in Vietnam, and there has been a great deal of Canadian involment in peacekeeping efforts in open warzones since that time.

There were no Canadian troops in Viet-Nam.

There were a fair number of Canadians fighting in the war, but that's not nearly the same thing. Several thousands Canadians went in the US to enlist and fight in Nam. But they did so as US soldiers fighting under the US flag.

The Canadian army was never in Nam. Not during the conflict proper, anyway (Some peace-keeping post 1973). I have no idea why so many Canadians believe that Canada took part in Nam. But they are in good company : Ann Coulter used to believe it too. grinbig.gif

---

Suppression and grenades? Nothing comparable to laying suppressive fire but...

Well, if you are caught in the radius of a normal grenade, you probably aren't going to be able to keep firing at your opponents without missing a beat. Not to mention the brief visibility problems depending what kind of debris/dust/crap the explosion is gonna kick in the air.

Maybe some houserules are in order. Tossing a grenade at a group of enemies as a prelude to moving away from your current position ought to help lower the odds you'll get hit while running in the open, even if most of the enemies manage to soak up the damage. But by the current rules, unless you hurt them enough to cause a -1 penalty, your grenade will have had no appreciable impact on your survival chances during your rush to safety.

Something like creating a certain zone (variable by type of grenade) that guarantees that opponent inside this zone will suffer some firing penaltie sfor at least one IP. Or something like that.
Kesslan
Well Charon, the fact that the Canadian war museum (before it moved) use to have a decent sized section about Canadian involment in the Veitnam war might have something to do with that.The Canadian army on it's own as it were, wasnt ever really directly involved. THough yes alot of Canadians signed up with the US army because they wanted to go help, and there was some NATO involvement.

NATO itself is a good reason why, alot of times people say Canada wasnt involved area X even though it was, it was however simply part of NATO rather than purely on it's own. It also didnt help that funding for the canadian military has been total crap for years. (And thus the ultimate reason why canadian military helictopers on at elast two occasionas have litteraly fallen out of the sky)

On the supression thing, there's also the noise, airpressure etc. So it's important to note who near the blast (Hell I'd say the whole room depending on size) has hearing dampeners. Anyone who doesnt is going to have some serious ear rining I'm sure.

might be worth some while to go over the concussive effects of grenades as a whole for determining potential penalties of being in the blast zone (Even if you remain uninjured)

@Butterblume:
That pin/remote detnator thing sorta is how the grenades in Aliens: Ressurection worked. Though I'm not so sure there actually was a pin. There was if I recall a saftey cap though. And assumably the grenade only armed whe the detonator was forcibly pulled from the grenade. The detonator in that case was still shaped in the classic grenade spoon arguably not only to keep the size down but to make the tiny detonator easier to hold onto (I should try to find a screenshot, I know there's a few showing him using the grenade in question)
Trax
I've heard one story of a grenade range where the person actually accidently dropped the damn thing in their coat pocket. With the entire class right nearby in danger the trainer tossed the person over the wall.
Butterblume
Now, that's most likely BS.

For one thing, the class is in a safe distance in case something happens, unless someone in charge screwed up.

I don't think its even possible to drop a grenade accidentally in one of your pockets, but I am not sure because other countries might use different clothing wink.gif.

Edit: on a totally different matter, am I the only one who thinks the canadians are trying to conquer DS? Don't even bother to answer, but think about it.
Trax
Trying? We already have!
Aaron
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest using grenades as suppressive fire. I meant to suggest using the rules for being caught in suppressive fire (which, incidentally, are the same rules for being caught in the use of the Storm critter power) for being caught in a grenade blast.
mfb
QUOTE (Trax @ Dec 23 2006, 03:21 PM)
I've heard one story of a grenade range where the person actually accidently dropped the damn thing in their coat pocket. With the entire class right nearby in danger the trainer tossed the person over the wall.

yeah, that's... i mean, when i trained, we wore kevlar vests, which completely block off access to any pockets above your hips. it could have maybe landed in an ammo pouch on the gear webbing, i guess, but that's really, really unlikely. and the rest of the training group is either lined up in a very grenade-proof shelter, or off somewhere else doing other training.
Kesslan
Yeah but what if it was some third world country or something? I mean in WWII russians trained their troops how to use hand grenades with potatoes. I mean that was cause the grenades were 'worth more' than the soldiers.

I really doubt that sort of thing would happen in a 'modern' country. Largely due to the fact that anyone intelligent soon realizes that having recruits screw up like that is a bad thing and can get alot of people killed.

Thus the grenade bunkers etc. And if your really on that much of a shoestring budget that you cant even dig a hole in the ground with a shovel.. then really you should be training them with potatoes.
KarmaInferno
I just want remote detonated sticky grenades.

There's probably nothing funnier on a run than seeing a panicked sec guard running toward his horrified companions screaming, "GET IT OFF! GET IF OFFFFFF!!!"

biggrin.gif

Hmm, well the remote detonator part is as has been mentioned rather easy.

Not sure how you'd make it stick after being thrown. You cant exactly just coat the grenade in glue or it will stick to your hand/clothes etc.

I suppose you could arguably just make up some sort of high tech nanoglue thats solid, but is then 'activated' shortly after pulling the pin so that you've got a few seconds to throw the grenade, after which a sort of outer solid shell of nanoglue starts to get melty and will then adhere to what ever surface it lands against.

doesnt really sound like a practical way of doing it though to me. Arguably plausible given jsut how much nanotech there is in 2070 (Afterall there are now nano doomsday weapons galore) but would be really expensive etc and really, I think, not worth it.
Aaron
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Not sure how you'd make it stick after being thrown. You cant exactly just coat the grenade in glue or it will stick to your hand/clothes etc.

Hand grenade + gecko tape = ?
Kesslan
Somewhat possible but geckotape would arguably stick to everything and in either case is generally easily peeled off. If your wanting it to stick to a person i'd definately say you need something better than super velcro
djinni
QUOTE (Shrike30)
I only caught the first few seconds of that clip (I'm at work), but someone downrange is going to have a really, really bad day.

The problem is going to be when players get access to FA grenade launchers. Then they're going to want to COMBINE suppressive fire and grenades...

how do you even handle that? 20 grenades going off at once...
Kesslan
QUOTE (djinni)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Dec 21 2006, 01:10 PM)
I only caught the first few seconds of that clip (I'm at work), but someone downrange is going to have a really, really bad day.

The problem is going to be when players get access to FA grenade launchers.  Then they're going to want to COMBINE suppressive fire and grenades...

how do you even handle that? 20 grenades going off at once...

I'd probably treat it as supressed fire, just for a MUCH larger area. Likely supress a zone as wide as max scatter + blast radius, anyone passing through that zone runs the risk of taking base grenade type damage.
kzt
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 26 2006, 09:09 PM)

Real world example, the No 74 ST Grenade from WW2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bomb

You'll notice that they were not exactly popular due to the nasty habit of sticking to your hand, clothes, etc. You'll also notice that nobody has done it since.
Kesslan
Hmm true, and there were the field created sticky bombs using standard GI socks. They show that trick being used in Saving Private Ryan. Though in that case I believe they used tar.

That article though really simply highlights the problem with the idea of a 'sticky grenade' or bomb of any kind really. Since by nature then it could stick to just about anything. Especialy if the adhesive has to be strong enough that it wont slip off things like a moving vehicle or a person running around flailing away in abject terror.

Shadow Warrior the old PC FPS game had so called sticky bombs which were really just hand grenades with spikes in them. Of course while they stuck to anything, realistically they'd only stick to thinks the spikes could actually penetrate. And then there's ones that use magnetic attachment points like limpet mines.

The trick really is to come up with something that would have actual practical application in SR.
Moon-Hawk
Given: SR has better batteries than we do.
Have a grenade that can generate a strong EM field for a few seconds. It activates when the grenade arms, which is after the spoon flies and it travels at least 5 meters away from the spoon. (everything's wireless) Of course, it only sticks to ferrous metals.
Alternately, use gecko tape as people suggested. It is enclosed in a casing that is sloughed off in mid-air, after it is thrown. This model only sticks to dry things.
Or, for that matter, use both. It won't stick to a wet man, but it just might stick to his gun or other gear.
KarmaInferno
Well, engineering a grenade with a cover that pops off only after it's been thrown/launched shouldn't be THAT difficult. It seems the issues with the historical version of the sticky grenade stem from having to remove the cover first before throwing it.

One might even design it so one side of the cover can be removed manually allowing it to be used as a limpet mine.

I have to admit I got the idea from a video game - Red Faction. That game had satchel-charge style explosives that stuck to whatever you threw them at - including enemy soldiers, which I found out by accident. I was trying to hit a ledge to blow it out from under a solder, and he at that moment ran forward to shoot at me. It stuck to his chest, whereupon he started running around in a panic yelling for his buddies to help him.

Instead, they started shooting at him, presumably to kill him before he got too close.

I've seen sticky grenades in at last a half dozen games since, though, and I think they might be a nice addition to a runner's arsenal.

don't those gecko gloves only stick to things when there's a faint electrical charge running through them, or something? just cover the grenade in that. when it smacks into something, it turns on a short-lived battery that charges the gecko material. et voila--sticky grenade.
eidolon
QUOTE (Aaron)
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest using grenades as suppressive fire. I meant to suggest using the rules for being caught in suppressive fire (which, incidentally, are the same rules for being caught in the use of the Storm critter power) for being caught in a grenade blast.

Heh, that's the thing though. If you're "caught" in a grenade blast, you're toast (or at least not feeling well). So while you're effectively suppressed, the injury and wound rules are better applied here.

lorechaser
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Instead, they started shooting at him, presumably to kill him before he got too close.

Pretty impressive AI for a game made in 2001.

My idea for a sticky grenade would be one that has a handle on it. It would take some practice to use (possibly even an exotic throwing skill), but you would essentially hold the handle, swing it overhand, and press a button to release the grenade itself, which is covered in sticky stuffs.
Kesslan
QUOTE (mfb)
don't those gecko gloves only stick to things when there's a faint electrical charge running through them, or something? just cover the grenade in that. when it smacks into something, it turns on a short-lived battery that charges the gecko material. et voila--sticky grenade.

No, from what I understand Geko tape in SR uses some sort of micro fillament thing to act kinda like velcro.

Then there's that RL test variant that was brought up for discussion little while back. That actually used tiny suction cups or something like that.
mfb
yeah, but don't SR gecko gloves have an on/off setting? i could swear i remember them having an off switch.
Kesslan
I dont think so. I'm pretty sure it works the exact same way as the RL prototype version where you just sort of peel your hand/foot/knee off in a certain way to get it to unstick.

I dont have the relevant books with me though or I would look it up.
Aaron
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 24 2006, 02:35 PM)

Heh, that's the thing though. If you're "caught" in a grenade blast, you're toast (or at least not feeling well). So while you're effectively suppressed, the injury and wound rules are better applied here.

There are injury and wound rules associated with suppressive fire. They come into play when a character is caught in it.
mfb
hm. apparently, i made up the off switch for gecko material. ah, well.
KarmaInferno
An off switch wouldn't make sense, in any case. There's no mechanism or field to turn off or on, it's just millions of synthetic nano-scale hairs. They stick due to van Der Waals forces.

It's molecular velcro, really. Holds til you peel it off in a specific way.

Well yeah, but if you could get the hairs to respond to a voltage to either curl up or straighten out then conceivably you could get it to turn on and off.

I'm not saying that you can turn them on and off as they exist in SR or RL, but I'm saying that such a thing might exist, and suggesting a possible mechanism.
cx2
I could see making "sticky grenades" in terms of mines as being useful, since as far as I know there aren't any rules (at least in 4th ed, no idea about 3rd) for actual mines that attach.

I'm thinking of maybe a half sphere with some sort of cover on the bottom, with a fragile membrane or other substance beneath. Pull the cover off, slam it onto the surface breaking the membrane and exposing the adhesive.
Thane36425
Grenades are ok for making an enemy duck for a moment, maybe costing or delaying them in an action, but it wouldn't be the same as suppressing fire.

You could use grenades to make someone break from cover. If your enemy was behind a bunch of crates, if you landed a grenade back there, they would probably try to run from the grenade, especially if it was close. If you had suppressing fire or were waiting for them to break cover, you could shoot them. If you dropped them, they could also get hit by the blast.

An old real world trick is to carry a few large rocks with the grenades. Throw a real grenade to get their attention, then later a rock. When they scurried around to get away from the noise of something landing, you shot at the movement. That worked best at night, of course. But going to the surplus store and buying a couple of cheap, inert grenade bodies would have the same effect. It all depends on if the GM allows one time to move after a grenade has landed.
Butterblume
Unless on a shoe string budget, one ould always carry more grenades instead of rocks wink.gif.
Thane36425
QUOTE (Butterblume)
Unless on a shoe string budget, one ould always carry more grenades instead of rocks wink.gif.

That's true, of course. On the other hand, rocks are free. I suppose that works best if you are playing a merc campaign, like one I played in Western Africa after the team ticked off a corp and needed to fade for a while.

There is another trick though. Different grenades have different fuses. Frags and such have delays and smoke grenades are instantaneous. Remove the detonators from a frag or other grenade and replace it with one from a smoke grenade. When you throw that grenade, leave the pin in, of course. The enemy freaks for a second, but sees the pin is still in the grenade. Natural instict is to throw it back at you. So they pull the pin and as soon as the safety lever is released - bang, right in their hand. Bad for morale that.

Just make sure you mark that particular grenade and that everyone on the team knows about it. Some units would tape a piece of paper over the pull rings on the grenades as a safety feature, to prevent something from snagging and pulling the ring by accident. This thin paper BTW, something that a finger wouldn't have much trouble punching through. Using red paper would work to mark those special grenades. I know this was talked about in real world units, I just don't know if they ever actually used it in practice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012