Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pregnant characters in the sixth world?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Raventhewingedwarrior
Has anyone here ever had a pregnant character on their team. If so please help our drone rigger is pregnant and we don't know what to do.
cristomeyers
Um..wow..that's a bit of a predicament isn't it?

I would almost go as far as to retire the character. I mean, a kid seems like it would be a career ender.
Butterblume
Get pickles and peanutbutter nyahnyah.gif.
Xenith
Nope. However, that seems hilariously funny for some reason. If the player prego, was it a character concept, or did your GM inflict this rather uncomfortable (if bloody funny) situation on you?

If you want to keep playing with this, I don't see much of a problem. Its dangerous, but so is 'Running when the kid is already out. Theres no end to the gut busting gags made in poor taste (and even good taste) that this situation would entail.
BishopMcQ
retirement is always plausible...

Are you looking for game statistics for morning sickness and all that type of thing or something else?

In my game, I'd say that anytime the rigger takes a M wound (more than 4 boxes of damage) that she would have to roll Edge to avoid miscarriage. Pregnant women shouldn't be shot at...

By the 7th to 8th month, she will start having problems with acrobatics and the like and probably need to take an LOA from running by week 30. The first few weeks after giving birth, beyond the need to bond with the child, she will be exhaustable and easily winded.

I'd also recommend finding a babysitter you can trust.
Backgammon
I've heard of plenty of PCs that had children, but actually being pregnant is a new one. If she goes on missions, chances of miscarriage become rather high. Not to mention that towards the end, she won't be physically able to run away much. But being a rigger, she can just sit in the van anyway.
sunnyside
Um. Are you wondering what to do from an RP point of view or a "what can a medicine do now" point of view?

If you're looking for some inspiration you can look to Cyberpunk 2020 (or one of it's supplements). I remember a hilarious picture of a pierced/cybered 20 something woman taking her baby out of a metal device called something like "wombulator 5000" with a semi disgusted look on her face.

Of course cyberpunk is a bit more about dysfunctional families than Shadowrun neccesarily is.

However the point is introducing something like that where your rigger could temporarily have her womb removed and put on automated life support for nine months would allow her to keep running if she'd like and you'd still wind up with the baby. It's also well within the tech level of shadowrun.
Raventhewingedwarrior
It was inflicted on her by the GM as she acted really stupid and innoyed him. It' an awful lot of fun winding her up about it. What happens if an elf gets pregnant with a dragons bady
sunnyside
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 12:22 PM)
What happens if an elf gets pregnant with a dragons bady

The mystery of how Drakes are made is revealed! biggrin.gif

On a more serious note I assume by your pronoun use that the female rigger is run by a female player. Do try to not drive her out of the hobby chummer.
Raventhewingedwarrior
Yeah thats kind of the situation. We have an NPC bad ass dragon who got her preganant. Also what would happen if two half-elves-half-dragon had a baby. Silly questions but this just seems to be arrising within our runs
BishopMcQ
As they are different species, science would say that such a thing is impossible.

Given the magic inherent in the system, my guesses would be IE or Drake.
Raventhewingedwarrior
On a more serious note I assume by your pronoun use that the female rigger is run by a female player. Do try to not drive her out of the hobby chummer

She wont leave she just laughs at the situation herself but is just getting frustrated with the morning sickness
Raventhewingedwarrior
How many people have females on their team. We have a team of 9 and have 3 girls. Just interested to see how many girls play
sunnyside
Actually it's cannon that you don't get "half" anythings. For example if an elf and a troll have a baby you'll either get a troll or an elf (or maybe a human that could later turn into one or the other).

Not sure where I would go with a dragon doing it. You could get something weird like a Drake which does seem to be a dragon metahuman hybrid. Or maybe you could just consider whatever form the dragon was in at the time of conception.

*Edit so far I seem to get a little under 20% girls.
Xenith
If the dragon was in (meta)human form at the time, its likely going to be a (relatively) normal metahuman. How drakes were made seems vastly different if you read the data on it, so not likely a drake... but not impossible.

If it was just in vitro, then ANYTHING could pop outta there.

Personally, I'd handle it like a normal kid. Then have the dragon make off with it for any one of a hundred reasons. Boom. New plotline.

Edit: I have had about one or two women, but it varies. Most of the time, they join in because a boyfriend is playing. A situation I disdain but not entirely discourage.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior)

People will hate you.
Because you created yet another immortal elf.
Raventhewingedwarrior
Thats a good idea about having the Dragon run off with the baby. I shall have to tell my GM. My boyfriend is the GM but the other two girls joined off their own backs.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 07:22 PM)

People will hate you.
Because you created yet another immortal elf.

We can never have too many of those. Plus, some of them are going to have to inevitably survive the 6th's world's collapse and the ensuing 7th world until the 8th.

And you don't want ALL of the old crop to be leftovers from the 4th world, do you? That would just suck. We need someone from the 6th to carry over to the 8th.

Of course, I suspect this can be done anyway, thanks to Leonization treatments.
HappyDaze
You can follow the usual rules for diseases and toxins to replicate the long-term/continuous and short-term/intermittant symptoms of sperm poisoning.

Considering that she's a shadowrunner and active, she may wqant to consider aborting the child. If she can find a wealthy ghoul, she may be able to sell the resulting delicacy for some heavy nuyen.gif .

As a rigger, she can probably just continue to operate just fine through wireless all the way through the pregnancy.

BTW, I find the whole dragon-breeding/immortal elf thing to be crap and would never introduce it to any shadowrun game I ran. As a player, I'd also drop out of any game in which it was directly a part of the storyline.
Cynic project
If she isa shadowrun of just about anything other than heavy duty street sam she could work around it or in some cases use it.
sunnyside
Actually dragons are sneaky enough anything could have really happened down there. I'm sure they could have managed some kind of insemination spell with somebody elses sperm on the fly.

That would conveniently avoid the crossbreeding issues, and adds another plot element to the whole thing. And gives you some room to go nuts but stay in cannon.

For example back in earthdawn times both T'skrang and windlings were on the decline, but were biocompatable with humans I do believe (The T'skrang certainly tried!).

A dragon intent on saving a bloodline could have used a combination of magic and having a minion drop some sperm deep into a polar ice cap to keep them around.

I'm sure you can come up with dozens of other reasons and plotlines.
Unarmed
QUOTE (sunnyside)
*Edit so far I seem to get a little under 20% girls.

Sounds about right. Our regular group has one girl and then 4 guys.
Ben
*cough* abortion *cough*

solves the problem. get a screwdriver or something to uncork bottles…
mfb
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior)
Has anyone here ever had a pregnant character on their team. If so please help our drone rigger is pregnant and we don't know what to do.

well, you'll probably need to get the snake eyes cyberware custom-made, since the standard ware probably wouldn't physically fit inside an infant's skull. mechanically, i'd just say it has to be alphaware and call it a day. for mobility, you'll probably want some sort of carrier drone to put the baby in. i know crawlers are all the rage, but seriously, babies don't crawl very fast, and they don't have enough body to be more than a light scout.
lorechaser
If she's tired of the morning sickness, it can go away. It doesn't usually last the entire pregnancy, and some women don't experience it at all (my wife's one of the lucky ones that didn't).

My group (when it existed) fluctuated between 4 and 8 guys and 2 to 4 girls. One of the girls was the GM's wife, two were player's wives, one was my daughter.
hyzmarca
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...&hl=breast+pump

Guys, if a dragon and an elf have a baby then another dragon is going to eat both the elf and the baby. Its in the rules.

I recommend ordering a cyber-breastpump from a Japanese fetish store and calling it a day. Oh, and BTL the birth. Those things cater to a nich market so they won't make too much profit, but every little bit will help. While you're at it, BTL the whole pregnancy.
cetiah
The baby is completely human. smile.gif Everyone is baffled.

Or maybe a cute little otaku technomancer...

Or a snake. You can never have too many snakes.

Or a bug spirit! smile.gif That'd be weird.
DireRadiant
The baby is a target for other shadowrunner teams....
sunnyside
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Guys, if a dragon and an elf have a baby then another dragon is going to eat both the elf and the baby. Its in the rules.

Where? Or was that a joke.

Actually having a new daughter of my own it occurs to me that childcare in 2070 might be a lot easier. Just get that cuddle sim loaded and strap on the trode net for hours of free time.

It gets even better for 1-2 year olds. You could just keep a couple tranq super squirts around. Use them like remote controls for kids having tantrums or who don't want to go to bed. (Wait that won't work so well under SR4 overflow rules, pity)
cristomeyers
I can only imagine that. Little Johnny won't go to bed...well we'll see about that.
mfb
QUOTE (sunnyside)
It gets even better for 1-2 year olds. You could just keep a couple tranq super squirts around. Use them like remote controls for kids having tantrums or who don't want to go to bed. (Wait that won't work so well under SR4 overflow rules, pity)

wait, parents don't do this already? i don't have any of my own, but i like to sneak into other people's houses and tranq their kids for them. i'm a helper!
cetiah
You might want to look into BabyBoost™ daily vitamin supplements for expectant mothers. smile.gif

BabyBoost™ - Because only one thing matters.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (sunnyside)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 23 2007, 02:56 PM)

Where?

Earthdawn.
Fortune
QUOTE (sunnyside)
For example if an elf and a troll have a baby you'll either get a troll or an elf (or maybe a human that could later turn into one or the other).

Elves are born! Humans do not goblinize into elves ... ever!
Ophis
If the dragon is the daddy I hope he takes his exile like a man, or just goes down fighting.
sunnyside
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 23 2007, 03:44 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jan 23 2007, 02:56 PM)

Where?

Earthdawn.

Again, where? There are a lot of earthdawn books and you're probably refering to a single sentence somewhere in there.
Ophis
Dragons of Barsaive, the section on half dragons...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ophis)
Dragons of Barsaive, the section on half dragons...

Well, no immortals, at least... but nice boni... and stereotypical 'half-dragon' attributes.
SL James
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 11:10 AM)

Yes.

No.

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jan 24 2007, 04:42 AM)
For example if an elf and a troll have a baby you'll either get a troll or an elf (or maybe a human that could later turn into one or the other).

Elves are born! Humans do not goblinize into elves ... ever!

Microsoft would disagree with you.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 12:10 PM)

well, you'll probably need to get the snake eyes cyberware custom-made, since the standard ware probably wouldn't physically fit inside an infant's skull. mechanically, i'd just say it has to be alphaware and call it a day. for mobility, you'll probably want some sort of carrier drone to put the baby in. i know crawlers are all the rage, but seriously, babies don't crawl very fast, and they don't have enough body to be more than a light scout.

+1 karma!

On topic: Make the runner team a powerful enemy, really close to the birth. When the rigger goes into labor, have the runners get word that a hit squad is heading to them armed to the teeth. Give them time to fortify their position, gear up and maybe even call in some favours from some other runners. (If they survive) The sun comes up, the house/warehouse/fortress/etc. is torn to shreds from machinegun fire and explosives/drones (the rigger woman's in captain's chair mode with some higher target numbers of course), and they've all got a baby and a stack of karma.

Just make the kid come out as normal, and occasionally make something crazy happen, like the kid is floating, or only communicates telekinetically (like dragons), make the kid awaken early, etc. Nothing that would be really useful for shadowruns, and if the runners try and take him on a run, have it not go well, and possibly have the kid killed.

Tiger Eyes
My last SR3 character got pregnant and since that game ended in 2051, my current character is her 19 year old daughter.

It did give us lots of jokes, but since 2 of our players (myself included) had just delivered our own children, the jokes were well deserved. Our GM was getting a little cosmic revenge on us for having to deal with 9 months of our hormones. (Although I did agree to it... kinda)

Most morning sickness is gone by week 12 (humans). But that's when you start having to pee every 10 minutes, so it all balances out as far as the humor... ("Guys, I really need to go..." - "Not now, we're under fire" - "Just kill them all and find me a bathroom NOW!!!"). And finding form-fitting body armor for a pregant woman is difficult. grinbig.gif

Also, our GM rolled 3 D6 to decide the length of labor and picked a random day the month she was due - due dates are SUCH A MYTH!!!! sarcastic.gif (ahem, personal bitterness there). Our troll combat monster was the lamaze coach. Very funny having him take the lamaze classes with my elf decker.

Afterwards, most of my characters nuyen.gif went to paying for bodyguards for the kid. She did retire from doing physical runs, and only went on matrix overwatch.

And yes, of course, the kid was totally weird (although the father wasn't a dragon, just a chap from another metaplane) and is currently causing lots of problems due to her unique heritage. But she's a damn fine hacker.
Kesslan
You know, given that this sort of thing comes up in.. well litterally EVERY RPG sytem I've ever played in... with perhaps the exception of Paranoia I'm supprised there isnt by now some sort of run down on childcare or some such from a more or less 'official' source.

Then again they dont have it for D&D either I dont think in any 'official' capacity. But there's tons of fan made rules for AD&D, and I'm sure by now there -must- be some floating around for 3.0 and 3.5.

Still, given the nature of SR as a whole. It would be interesting if they actually released some sort of 'offical' book on child raising in the 6th world. I mean surely what with all the fun bits of blackmail and 'punishment' runs. There MUST be the odd run where your either supposed to kidnap, kill, or 'do something wierd' to a child.

Wouldnt hurt to come up with some base guildline for inter-meta relationships etc. And finally settle the Meta with a Dragon question if they really wanted to. Though personally I dont see it happening. Then again of course there -are- Drakes. Which effectively just opens that can of worms again. Cause I mean here you've got 14 year old jonnie who just found out his 30 year old ex-runner father turned into a drake. Since it's the knida thing passed down via bloodlines if I recall the fluff about em.. there's arguably a 50/50 chance he'll turn into one too.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jan 23 2007, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Raventhewingedwarrior @ Jan 23 2007, 12:10 PM)

+1 karma!

On topic: Make the runner team a powerful enemy, really close to the birth. When the rigger goes into labor, have the runners get word that a hit squad is heading to them armed to the teeth. Give them time to fortify their position, gear up and maybe even call in some favours from some other runners. (If they survive) The sun comes up, the house/warehouse/fortress/etc. is torn to shreds from machinegun fire and explosives/drones (the rigger woman's in captain's chair mode with some higher target numbers of course), and they've all got a baby and a stack of karma.

Just make the kid come out as normal, and occasionally make something crazy happen, like the kid is floating, or only communicates telekinetically (like dragons), make the kid awaken early, etc. Nothing that would be really useful for shadowruns, and if the runners try and take him on a run, have it not go well, and possibly have the kid killed.

I think you mean telepathically communicating, not telekinetically communicating.

Of course, flinging the baby bottle at mumsie with your mind would be funny for an "I'm hungry!" wakeup call...

Also, this isen't fragging Earthdawn, and there is no more fragging Barsieve. The rules have changed, and the GDs are, so far, following the old rules out of habit. 60 years isen't really enough time to draft up new rules and repeal old ones - but trust me, they'll come. They will come.
jervinator
One of my players has a character who just made her second kid (third if you count the orphan she wound up adopting). Lemme tell, ya, it can be a great plot device, but without knowing more about your campaign I can't give you more specific advice.
Thane36425
QUOTE (sunnyside)

Actually having a new daughter of my own it occurs to me that childcare in 2070 might be a lot easier. Just get that cuddle sim loaded and strap on the trode net for hours of free time.

Why not just get a virtual pet, modified to be the the boogey man? Then, the monster really COULD live in the closet, drawn out when kiddies are being naughty. Come to think of it, that would be a good way to keep them out of the special closet with all the Shadowrunning gear, having it "live" in there.
Kesslan
QUOTE (Thane36425)

Actually having a new daughter of my own it occurs to me that childcare in 2070 might be a lot easier.  Just get that cuddle sim loaded and strap on the trode net for hours of free time.

It gets even better for 1-2 year olds.  You could just keep a couple tranq super squirts around.  Use them like remote controls for kids having tantrums or who don't want to go to bed.  (Wait that won't work so well under SR4 overflow rules, pity)

Why not just get a virtual pet, modified to be the the boogey man? Then, the monster really COULD live in the closet, drawn out when kiddies are being naughty. Come to think of it, that would be a good way to keep them out of the special closet with all the Shadowrunning gear, having it "live" in there.

Thane your one twisted fragger. But I very much like that idea.

But you can even go one better. If your friend the party mage can whip up a harmless low level spirit or two. The monster then is not virtual. But infact very 'real'. Just give them instructions to the effect of harmlessly spooking the kid. You'd have to be very specific, and I'd throw in either "Make sure no harm comes to him." or more to the point so they dont suddenly be seen as a 'friendly monster' "Do not allow your actions to bring the child to harm."

and "Do not stray beyond this closet"

Have em kick around for a few days, after that you just need it 'reinforced' every so often.
cetiah
QUOTE (Kesslan)
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Jan 24 2007, 01:09 AM)

Actually having a new daughter of my own it occurs to me that childcare in 2070 might be a lot easier.  Just get that cuddle sim loaded and strap on the trode net for hours of free time.

It gets even better for 1-2 year olds.  You could just keep a couple tranq super squirts around.  Use them like remote controls for kids having tantrums or who don't want to go to bed.  (Wait that won't work so well under SR4 overflow rules, pity)

Thane your one twisted fragger. But I very much like that idea.

But you can even go one better. If your friend the party mage can whip up a harmless low level spirit or two. The monster then is not virtual. But infact very 'real'. Just give them instructions to the effect of harmlessly spooking the kid. You'd have to be very specific, and I'd throw in either "Make sure no harm comes to him." or more to the point so they dont suddenly be seen as a 'friendly monster' "Do not allow your actions to bring the child to harm."

and "Do not stray beyond this closet"

Have em kick around for a few days, after that you just need it 'reinforced' every so often.

You know, you could probably do this with a simple illusion spell...

C'mon, man, they're kids! You don't use spirits to scare kids. Well, not YOUR kids anyway. That's like threatening to sick the attack dog on them...

...when a simple illusion of an attack dog could be just as effective.

Come to think of it, there's always mob mind...
hyzmarca
Nah. If you really want a scary spirit to both discipline and protect the kid what you should do is find its other parent, tie up the other parent, and create an ally spirit formula that requires said parent's still-beating heart (this helps if you don't like the other parent). Use the sacrifice to blood-invoke the Ally. This is an effective way to transform deadbeats who don't even see the kid on weekends into loving but stern role-models who will be there for both of you for years to come.

While most corporate brats can say "My daddy can fire your daddy" to someone, few can say "My daddy can eat your daddy's soul."

The fun thing about a new baby is shopping for age-appropriate sex-toys. While Sex Puppets toys are popular the companies that manufacture them spend more money on the license than they spend on quality control. However, Funtech, a small Ares subsidiary well known for the horse-sized devices that they market to Centaurs in the Tirs, has recently released a line of substantially smaller devices suitable for metahuman children three and under. Of particular interest is their Teaching Vibrator, which uses a colorful AR-enhanced control system to teach color, shape, and pattern recognition and which can be upgraded with additional educational software as the child ages, including reading and basic mathematics.

Of course, that's just in my Shadowrun world, where the breakdown of FCC control and the tendency for children to gravitate towards sexually charged media personalities such as Brittney Spears have combined in such a way that most Disney movies contain explicit non-simulated sex scenes (including several re-edited classics).
Protector152
Raven if you wan't to see what can happen when a dragon and a meta/human have a kid together read this story

http://www.magespace.net/stories/lg/lgmain.html

note that due to my Noob status i have no clue wether a Drake is the same as a Dragon Kin. also note that Dragons are punished for making Dragon Kin in most cases (according to this anyway) and that the Dragon Kin is normally killed.

acctully that would make a good 'run have the kid kidnaped by Great Dragons and the runners have to 'convince' them to let the kid go.
Ophis
Drakes are a construct of dragons created as servants, then allowed by special methods to become a race that can breed, basically they are miniature dragons with the ability to become human.

Dragonkin are the result a dragon breeding with a mortal. They appear normal except for slightly heightened mental abilities and some oddities like scaley patches. Dragons consider them a bad thing, and looking at the known examples (Immortal elves and the Denairatsas) they have a point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012