Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How powerful ARE immortal elves?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Me, I am of the opinion that, like nukes, if you get tagged by a Weapon of Mass Destruction, you're toast. I don't care if you're freaking Ghostwalker or Lofwyr or Harlequin or Ehrahan or who-the-fuck-ever you want to be.

Oh, I agree on this point. IEs aren't bulletproof, they're just good at not being where the bullets will hit.

If they put out an orbital hit on you and get a positive lock, your ass is grass. Your only hope is to somehow know about it the MOMENT it happens, and then get your ass going at a ridiculous airspeed to get out of the range where the girder can get you.

Well, for Harlequin at least, he can Netherwalk. As a result, he only needs a few seconds of warning. Others will probably use some combination of run+powerball.

~J
knasser
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Jan 27 2007, 01:08 PM)
Well, sorry to be the first to dump on your parade, but.....

Oh no, by all means unleash the deluge. I'm interested in criticisms. And thanks.

For his initiate grade of 12, I thought about what players in any normal campaign were likely to reach and then almost doubled it. The effect that I wanted was to create something that was unmatchable but could be understood. He actually has a magic rating a couple higher than a great dragon and these beasts are as old as he is and presumably started off more powerful as well.

I did toy with removing the caps, but didn't in the end. I want him to be vulnerable. It's just that he should be so darned smart that it's near impossible to get the advantage of him.

I never actually read Worlds Without End, I'm working purely from Harlequinn and comments I've read here and elsewhere. I just liked the idea of him being a pure sorceror for an interesting twist. I just couldn't see the archetypal solitaire-individual messing around with summoning elementals. But thanks for the catch. I guess he'll need some conjuring skills after all.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time the H. has been statted out. I'd like to see any others.

-K.
Herald of Verjigorm
On a partially related note, I just had an idea for a skill atrophy rule that pretty much only wastes karma for IEs but can theoretically apply to anyone.

Every decade, roll each skill that is rarely used against a TN of that skill. If there is a single success, no loss. If not, the value of the highest die is the new skill level.

I would like to know about any campaign where this actually matters, since most runners are either retired or "retired" before a decade passes.
ShadowDragon8685
Every decade? Hah!

About the only ones to whom that would matter would be IEs or GDs. Everyone else's lifespan is too short, and certainly Player Character's lifespans are.

The only way I could see it being relevant is if someone who had a character set in 2050 "came out of retirement" in 2070, with twenty-year old cyber and rusty skills. But you'd probably build him as a new PC anyway.
Glyph
Honestly, for an NPC like an IE, I wouldn't do a bunch of dice tests and meticulous bookkeeping like that - I would just use skill degradation over time as a counterpoint to centuries of life in assigning realistic skills rather than skills in the 50's.

As far as Knasser's take, I think it succeeds for what he was trying to do with it in his campaign (create someone ultra-powerful but within their ability to at least potentially defeat). It's a bit too weak for Harlequin as depicted in various sources - I don't see him being an aspected sorcerer, or not knowing any metamagic. I do like that he had some more modern skills, and that they were NOT rating: 6 ones.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Glyph)
I would just use skill degradation over time as a counterpoint to centuries of life in assigning realistic skills rather than skills in the 50's.

"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jan 27 2007, 03:24 PM)
I would just use skill degradation over time as a counterpoint to centuries of life in assigning realistic skills rather than skills in the 50's.

"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know."

"Admitting the onset of senility is the first step to overcoming it."
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Well, for Harlequin at least, he can Netherwalk. As a result, he only needs a few seconds of warning. Others will probably use some combination of run+powerball.

~J

Other Place works very well if the weapon has a kill radius of less than 1 mile. All you have to do is step through the door while chanting "I believe in magical teleportation."
With a kill radius of less than 25 yards, Form Change works wonders and is a good enough reason to never send a strike team with more than one member against an IE.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 27 2007, 08:38 AM)

~J

Other Place works very well if the weapon has a kill radius of less than 1 mile. All you have to do is step through the door while chanting "I believe in magical teleportation."
With a kill radius of less than 25 yards, Form Change works wonders and is a good enough reason to never send a strike team with more than one member against an IE.

Next you're going to say that magic can ressurect, aren't you?

ED != SR
Sir_Psycho
Surely Harlequin would just hide under his healing tree.
hyzmarca
The ability for magic to resurrect is severely hindered by the lack of magma in the Caspian Sea.

But yes, assuming that Harlequin goes on an Astral Quest to kick Death in the crotch and has Journey to Life in a spell matrix (because the drain will be killer), magic can resurrect.

There was never an explicit prohibition against magical resurrection in SR. Sorcery can't bend space-time, but nothing says that Sorcery can't be used to resurrect.
Kagetenshi
Realistically, barring continuity-of-consciousness questions, resurrection should just be a very big version of heal/treat. The trick is how much bigger it is, and how quickly it gets even bigger than that (as stuff that isn't actually dead but is necessary to life dies because nothing's feeding/oxygenating it).

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Ummmm, it's cannon that both teleportation and Ressurection are explicitly impossible in Shadowrun.

Or are you saying that the BBB lies?
emo samurai
Dude, I'm sorry if I look like a nitpicking asshole, but I've seen it done so much that I have to say something.

It's "canon."
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Dude, I'm sorry if I look like a nitpicking asshole, but I've seen it done so much that I have to say something.

It's "canon."

Oh, Emo..

You are a nitpicking asshole! smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Can I get a page reference? Neither SR3 nor SR4 contains the string "resurrection".

Edit: change string to "resurrect", got a reference to the CAS rising again.

~J
emo samurai
QUOTE (page 160 Street Magic)
Sorcery Cannot Raise the Dead
Though spells can heal, once a person has passed away, they are gone forever (though some view conjuring spirits as raising the spirits of the dead).
Kagetenshi
Street Magic is A: not the BBB, B: explicitly wrong (see Earthdawn), C: apocrypha.

~J
emo samurai
I remember something about Death being trapped in Earthdawn. if he's free now, then resurrection won't work until he's trapped again.

And how is Street Magic less authoritative than the BBB? It's about as official as you can get.
eidolon
Was that way before, as I recall, and just as explicitly.

edit: sorry, posted too slow. I was adding on to emo's quote of SM.

Kage, it's going to be an uphill battle. Someone already posted it, but Shadowrun is not Earthdawn, and as far as I can remember and as much as I know about SR4 (not much, admittedly) still supports that even if an IE knew "how" to raise the dead, it's still not supported by the mana level of the 6th World.

As far as "SM is not the BBB", are you next going to try and say that R3, MitS, and M&M "aren't the BBB and therefore don't matter"? That might fly in a group that only owns and plays by the BBB, but I don't think that's the case here.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Ummmm, it's cannon that both teleportation and Ressurection are explicitly impossible in Shadowrun.

Define teleportation.
Could there not be magic to take a mage's physical body into astral space and from there propel himself as astral space speeds then when he reaches his destination use the the same magic to return his body to the physical plane.

Is that teleportation? or something else.
emo samurai
Astral travel isn't quite instantaneous, even if it takes you to any place in the world within an hour and a half. But yes, I remember someone saying something about Harlequin putting stuff on the astral with a 10 hour ritual that practically knocked him out.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (eidolon)
\As far as "SM is not the BBB", are you next going to try and say that R3, MitS, and M&M "aren't the BBB and therefore don't matter"?  That might fly in a group that only owns and plays by the BBB, but I don't think that's the case here.

I should have separated it from the other points, because it isn't an attack on the validity of the passage. I guess it should be replaced with "is there a reference in the SR3 or SR4 core book?", because it was implied that there was and I'm curious to know if that's true independent of the current discussion.

As for Shadowrun is not Earthdawn, I reject that completely. They are explicitly the same world.

There's a longer post in here about how either the Heal spell has to be excised from canon, resurrection has to be made explicitly possible, or Shadowrun has to officially recognize a "soul", but I'll get to that later.

~J
emo samurai
Well, it doesn't have to be an immortal soul, now does it?
Kagetenshi
No, it doesn't, but it has to be something such that repairing the damage that caused death and that occurred after death, even to the point of restoring a perfectly functioning central nervous system and support organs, does not restore a person to life.

FWIW, Earthdawn supports this "official-soul-recognition" view due to it being Death's imprisonment allowing resurrection. If anyone has a better explanation, I'd really appreciate it—I'd like to avoid this one.

~J
emo samurai
Well, there is one, I'm 99.99999% sure. I mean, mages can survive while astrally projecting after their body's been destroyed, and if they astrally project too much, they die, despite their bodies being perfectly healthy. So I'm pretty sure there's a soul.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jan 27 2007, 06:53 PM)

Define teleportation.
Could there not be magic to take a mage's physical body into astral space and from there propel himself as astral space speeds then when he reaches his destination use the the same magic to return his body to the physical plane.

Is that teleportation? or something else.

There's soemthing like that in ED> There's the Gateway spell, that basically lets you jump in to astral space. THere's the Nether walking talent, and there's the lightbereaer ability that also lets you jump your body in to astral space. Which IIRC is described as doing a whole column of green/gold light, kinda like Harlequin in his self titled adventrue at the end.

Kage wants Heal removed because assuming ED and SR a are the same worls (which they are, but leaving that part of the arguement out ATM), there was no out right HEAL spell. THere were ltos of spells that could help you heal, but only a questor of Garlen could actually HEAL. mostly because of the game mechanic of recovery tests, which I liked.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
There's a longer post in here about how either the Heal spell has to be excised from canon, resurrection has to be made explicitly possible, or Shadowrun has to officially recognize a "soul", but I'll get to that later.

resurrection is also possible in ED, either through some pretty hefty magic ( the Return to Life spell) or a ritual (The Masquerade). Both are outlined in Ed books of course, but never in SR, because that goes agisnt the flavor of SR (IMO at least).

Remember of course the imporant part that's relevant to this thread, ,that many of the IE's would have these abilities, and a few others that "break" the rules of SR magic. Such as spellcasting w/o drain through thread weaving. Takes a lot longer though. That's all because of completely different rules systems though, so what you use and what you dont is up to you.

ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
No, it doesn't, but it has to be something such that repairing the damage that caused death and that occurred after death, even to the point of restoring a perfectly functioning central nervous system and support organs, does not restore a person to life.

FWIW, Earthdawn supports this "official-soul-recognition" view due to it being Death's imprisonment allowing resurrection. If anyone has a better explanation, I'd really appreciate it—I'd like to avoid this one.

~J

I smell a trip to the morgue and Personafix chips with psych programming coming on.
Kagetenshi
Kage wants Heal removed because assuming ED and SR a are the same worls (which they are, but leaving that part of the arguement out ATM), there was no out right HEAL spell.

That's not actually true smile.gif (the part about that being my reasoning, that is). No, my reasoning is that provided there is no non-physical essence that makes a living being what they are, sufficiently powerful Healing (or some equivalent) ought to restore the dead to life—all death is is tissue necrosis, same as many injuries. If Heal can cure a limb that has had a tourniquet applied to it for long enough for the limb to die, which nothing in canon indicates it can't IIRC, and is able to heal a limb with a hole in it from a shotgun slug, it should be able to fix similar injury to the brain—and if there is no non-physical component to life, restoring the brain and CNS to full health should involve restoring life.

I think I tripped over my own brain in there, but hopefully my reasoning is clear.

~J
fistandantilus4.0
yeah that makes sense. Didn't meant to speak for you, I'll watch my wording. I think though that if you allow the existance of the soul though, then you have to allow for the fact that healing can't fix it all. Death means that the soul leaves the body, and so while Heal can restore a brain that's been balsted, it can't bring back the soul.

Figuring in someone coming back to life after their heart stops with a crash cart, they can do that up to, what 20 minutes or so after death. So draw the line there w/ Heal for brining someone back from death. After that, ,you need something more.

My 2 nuyen.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Kage wants Heal removed because assuming ED and SR a are the same worls (which they are, but leaving that part of the arguement out ATM), there was no out right HEAL spell.

That's not actually true smile.gif (the part about that being my reasoning, that is). No, my reasoning is that provided there is no non-physical essence that makes a living being what they are, sufficiently powerful Healing (or some equivalent) ought to restore the dead to life—all death is is tissue necrosis, same as many injuries. If Heal can cure a limb that has had a tourniquet applied to it for long enough for the limb to die, which nothing in canon indicates it can't IIRC, and is able to heal a limb with a hole in it from a shotgun slug, it should be able to fix similar injury to the brain—and if there is no non-physical component to life, restoring the brain and CNS to full health should involve restoring life.

I think I tripped over my own brain in there, but hopefully my reasoning is clear.

~J

You've got a point, there. Scientifically speaking, all that "sentience" is is the patterns and synapses in your brain. Of course, once "Death" occurs, tissues degrade extremely rapidly.

But then, if magic can heal a dead limb, why do they have cloned replacements ready?

That, or recognize some sort of astral "Soul" - after all, there's gotta be some reason a magician sees living people loud and clear on the Astral.
emo samurai
I just said all that shit about souls and auras.

Why does nobody ever quote me?
Kagetenshi
But then, if magic can heal a dead limb, why do they have cloned replacements ready?

Possible reasons include amputation and the gap between "possible" and "feasible". Though I don't think it's supported by the text, my preferred view on this would be that resurrection is perfectly possible, it just never happens because it's too difficult—requires too powerful a spell, too skilled a spellcaster, and too high a risk of D physical drain for the caster.

~J
Moirdryd
Because they dont love you Emo... *pats*

And how powerful are Immortal Elves? Well they are listed as Ultimate grade NPC's along with Lofwyr and the likes...so nuff said really...
emo samurai
I'd say you have to find the soul first, which would probably require an astral quest assuming that it doesn't just dissipate after death.
Kagetenshi
Well, in the best of all possible worlds there wouldn't be a soul at all, but since there is one: it is reasonable to assume that it does dissipate almost immediately after due to Mr. Water-To-Lava. If he were to be retrapped, we'd probably have about an hour again. That said, there's no indication that the soul needs any "finding".

~J
hyzmarca
Isn't cybermancy an implicit recognition of the soul? The magic is essentially a soul cage, which keeps the soul trapped in a no-longer-quite-alive body. This is also why it traps any spirit that tries to possess a cyberzombie. A soul cage couldn't possibly keep an individual alive if there was no such thing as a soul.
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
No, my reasoning is that provided there is no non-physical essence that makes a living being what they are...

given the existence of essence, why would that be assumed? to me, it seems pretty simple--death and 0 essence are the same thing. you reach 0 essence, you die; you die, you are reduced to 0 essence.

of course, that's based on the assumption that resurrection is impossible. no one has ever been able to provide me with a rules quote to that effect, however. to me, that means that resurrection is possible, it's just--as you say--really hard.
Kagetenshi
I use essence differently from Essence, as there exist (admittedly, generally weak) explanations for it that don't involve something separate from the physical body.

If they were to be considered the same, well, cybermancy.

hyzmarca: I'm not convinced that there are no other explanations, but there are enough arguments in favor of the existence of souls in SRED that I don't see the point in arguing against it.

~J
Ancient History
I'm not going to speak for anyone but myself right now, but I think that it is impossible to prove the existence of the soul in Shadowrun. Astral projection, cybermancy, spirits and the like certainly are fuel to spur the debate, but when you get down to rock bottom...

Can you say with a certainty that an astral projection is not simply that-a projection of the mind on the astral? Whatever else an astral projection is, it certainly does not survive death in any recognizable form.

Can you give conclusive proof of a sentient portion of the self survives after death? Ghosts are often seen as little more than an astral echo, and many consider ancestor spirits to be shaped by the beliefs of their conjurers.

Cybermancy may or may not hold the answers, but the practice is so shrouded in mystery, who is to say whether it involves the soul or not?

Part of the matter is that if there is ever firm, rock-solid proof that the soul exists, it brings questions into play about religion...and so far, Shadowrun has stayed far away from declaring any one religion 'true' or 'right.'
Kagetenshi
I think you're misinterpreting what I mean by the word "soul". I don't mean "immortal soul that survives after death", in fact what I see supported is a soul that dies quite quickly after the body does. However, we have a case in which resurrection is, according to Earthdawn, only possible due to Death being trapped. Any explanation that does not involve some non-physical essence (again, different from big-E Essence) would have to explain why Death's status matters in the least to the question of resurrection's possibility, and I just don't see any way to do that. If you see one, please point it out.

That said, you're wrong about astral projection. It is canon that a projecting mage can survive the death of their body by several hours—which is another support for a soul extrinsic to the body.

~J
Ancient History
Even in Earthdawn, you could make a case that all instances of resurrection involve repairing or reforming the character's living pattern-there's nothing more than anecdotal evidence that Death, as an entity, exists.

As for astral projection, the two are obviously connected-if your physical body is killed, your astral form may survive for a few hours, but it would manifest the same wounds, and may be incapacitated or destroyed outright by the damage dealt to the physical body.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (mfb)
of course, that's based on the assumption that resurrection is impossible. no one has ever been able to provide me with a rules quote to that effect

In SR4: Reference Street Magic, p. 160 Limits of Sorcery Sidebar

Sorcery cannot raise the dead for a more complete quote look higher up in the thread to Emo's post. (Sorry Emo, closest I could do to quote you...multiple quotes get messy)

There have been similar explicit limitations on magic in previous editions of SR.
hyzmarca
Death prevents resurrection but that does not require the existence of a soul. It only requires the existence of Death, the possibility of resurrection, and some mechanism by which resurrection can be prevented.

One can assume that Death acts as a jailer of souls, but that assumption is rather clunky. It is just as possible that Death is a Passion aligned with the human concept of Death and, through it, entropy and decay. Death, when free, could simply use its god-like powers to block magics that lower a Namegiver's entropy after a certain threshold as been reached.
Ravor
Well a person has to ask, what is a Soul? What if it is basically the electrical impulses firing within a meta-human brain? When those impulses cease firing upon brain death then the 'Soul' dies.

Death being trapped allows the electrical field/impulses to survive for awhile, kindof like a battery holding a charge.

Astral Mages can survive because they are using their magic to carry the 'charge' just like Death in the previous example.

Of course, I think it is far easiler to simply ignore the issue, and say that people will have multiple pet theories and that none of them can really be proven without actually crossing the threshold themselves, in which case they really can't report back the results....

emo samurai
And why was there no healing magic in Earthdawn?
Ancient History
QUOTE (emo samurai)

There is.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 28 2007, 03:41 AM)

There is.

Finally, someone who was there can shed some light on the situation. nyahnyah.gif

Help us, Ancient His-tory, you're our only source.

Is it at all feasable for that pesky condition that happens when your condition monitor floweth over to be overcome magically?
Crusher Bob
All characters got things call 'recovery tests'. Every recovery test you took healed you a bit. The number of test you got and the amount healed was based on, erm, your stats, iirc. You had to rest for a bit to get a recovery test. Almost all of the healing magic in Earthdawn either let you take recovery tests without the rest, improved the amount you got back from a recovery test, or otherwise improved things you had already. From what I remember, there was a warrior? trick (fire in the blood, somthing like that) that was close to magically healing, but required you to stand in a large fire, or something. If you did it right you got healed, if you screwed it up, you got horribly burned. Also, some of the questors (actually priests of the Earthdawn gods, the Passions) could do some healing tricks.
Grinder
You are speaking of Fire Heal, which gives the characters additional recovery tests.
Fireblood allows a character to heal damage during combat (still using a recovery test).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012