Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Shadowrun Commando Program
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
the_dunner
QUOTE (TypeRyder)
The Game Club meets at a public location and we regularly try to attract new players. It's open for the public so perhaps it's ok?

That sounds entirely appropriate. wink.gif
Demerzel
Are the commando quarterlies not being updated or are they just delayed public release and the commando's get them first?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Demerzel)
Are the commando quarterlies not being updated or are they just delayed public release and the commando's get them first?

Commando Quarterlies are a fan-driven, volunteer-produced publication. As a consequence, we don't exactly manage a release every quarter.
Trigger
I have been working on my scenario write up, but it is getting quite long....do you guys mind if it is long...it is based off the weapon purchase ambush scene in Ronin....
the_dunner
QUOTE (Trigger)
I have been working on my scenario write up, but it is getting quite long....do you guys mind if it is long...it is based off the weapon purchase ambush scene in Ronin....

Length on a scenario is entirely your prerogative. smile.gif
Trigger
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (Trigger @ Mar 4 2007, 07:04 AM)

Length on a scenario is entirely your prerogative. smile.gif

Nice, well then be expecting my scenario "So, You Want to be a Samurai?" to be both well written and almost Missions worthy, as I have been working on it for awhile and I think it is the best thing I can send into you guys at the moment.
the_dunner
I'll look forward to seeing it!
bibliophile20
For my scenario, it's going to have to wait another week or so; we were supposed to playtest it last friday night (glares at gaming group) but everyone who promised that they would come "forgot" and by the time I hunted them down, had just gone to the LAN party and said stuff along the lines of "umm, can we do it next Thursday..."
the_dunner
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
For my scenario, it's going to have to wait another week or so; we were supposed to playtest it last friday night

No worries -- it's unlikely that any of the submitted proposals will see release outside of the Commando program. So, if you have time to playtest it, that's terrific. If you don't, that's perfectly acceptable as well.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I really do not want to pay an entity like Kinkos (evil, bad, just like Starbucks devil.gif)

ouch. just ouch.
Trigger
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Mar 1 2007, 08:16 AM)
I really do not want to pay an entity like Kinkos (evil, bad, just like Starbucks devil.gif)

ouch. just ouch.

I don't remember seeing that comment, but ouch as well...I happen to work for Starbucks...
Mistwalker
I know that Commandos will have to use RAW,
but
what about the rule tweaks (p 69)?
I am mostly thinking of grittier game play tweak #1, capping success at twice skill level.

Is it acceptable to use the rule tweaks in the BBB and SM?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
I know that Commandos will have to use RAW,
but
what about the rule tweaks (p 69)?
I am mostly thinking of grittier game play tweak #1, capping success at twice skill level.

Is it acceptable to use the rule tweaks in the BBB and SM?

Sure, though it might be worth mentioning to your players that you'll be using an optional rule.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Trigger)
...but ouch as well...I happen to work for Starbucks...

...ahh, then you know the secret of the power of the Dark Roast

[cue the sound of alternating steamer spigots which mimic breathing]

...once you have tasted the Dark Roast my son...your training as my apprentice will be complete...

--Dark Java
Zolhex
Ok well I think I have everything ready to send in so I can be a commando to help out and do my part.

If everything works out I hope to soon post when I'll be be running games both at my first convention as a commando as well as the store I'll be attempting to gather support at.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Casazil)
Ok well I think I have everything ready to send in so I can be a commando to help out and do my part.

Sounds great! biggrin.gif I'll look forward to seeing your application.
Zolhex
Ok tis all set I'll fax in the application tomorrow 3/15/07 I now have the support of my FLGS Sci-Fi City in Orlando on highway 50 I will attempt to be there 2 times a month but at the least once a month provided there is interest.

My thoughts are I'll show up about 2 pm on the Saturdays I plan to run and will hang out till about 5 pm unless players show up then I'll be there till we finish the adventure.

I'll be willing to run and of the SRM's I have already played (yes I am attempting to get them all played so I can offer them all to the players) I also will be willing to run other games of Shadowrun that are of my creation.

Dunner is a 10 page adventure enough for the adventure I submit to become a commando?

I have that and the letter from the manager of the game store allong with the rest of the application do I need to type up a please make me a commando because.... letter?

As to the adventure yes I tried to make it go with the layout of the SRM's but I left some stuff vague so as to make it flexable incase you like the story and want to use it in Missions oh and no I'm not a great writer either so I hope you like it.

Lastly I have been asked and have said yes to running SRM's at Oasis 20 in orlando from May 25 to the 27.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Casazil)
Ok tis all set I'll fax in the application tomorrow 3/15/07 I now have the support of my FLGS Sci-Fi City in Orlando on highway 50 I will attempt to be there 2 times a month but at the least once a month provided there is interest.

That's terrific!
Dunner is a 10 page adventure enough for the adventure I submit to become a commando?

10 pages goes above and beyond the call of duty. That shouldn't be a problem at all.
I have that and the letter from the manager of the game store allong with the rest of the application do I need to type up a please make me a commando because.... letter?

Sorry, but yeah, we do need something on that one. Just a paragraph would be fine.
As to the adventure yes I tried to make it go with the layout of the SRM's but I left some stuff vague so as to make it flexable incase you like the story and want to use it in Missions oh and no I'm not a great writer either so I hope you like it.

Lastly I have been asked and have said yes to running SRM's at Oasis 20 in orlando from May 25 to the 27.

Sounds great on both fronts! I'll look forward to seeing the application! biggrin.gif
Zolhex
Ok all faxed enjoy!
the_dunner
QUOTE (Casazil)
Ok all faxed enjoy!

And, you're added. smile.gif
Zolhex
Woot and thanks I shall now try to live up to my duties.
StealthBanana
Okay, so I talked to my FLGS manager and the verdict is...

As soon as the book comes back in print and the store can keep a copy on the shelves, he will sign my paper and allow me to run SR4 out of the store. He doesn't want to sign the paper until he can actually sell the product he'll be advocating =D.

So that's where my delay is coming from. I'll send in the papers as soon as he signs 'em.
the_dunner
QUOTE (StealthBanana)
As soon as the book comes back in print and the store can keep a copy on the shelves, he will sign my paper and allow me to run SR4 out of the store. He doesn't want to sign the paper until he can actually sell the product he'll be advocating =D.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Thanks for the heads up! smile.gif
TypeRyder
Hoi,

so after some days beeing busy with job and family I finallly talked with the owner of the local game store this moring. I'm going to meet him this afternoon where we will plan the games in his shop and fax the papers.

We also have a local RPG-Day since February which is held once a month in a public location where I'm already been asked to gm Shadowrun or Battletech games - lots of possibilities to spread the word and attract new players *g*
the_dunner
QUOTE (TypeRyder)
Hoi,

so after some days beeing busy with job and family I finallly talked with the owner of the local game store this moring. I'm going to meet him this afternoon where we will plan the games in his shop and fax the papers.

We also have a local RPG-Day since February which is held once a month in a public location where I'm already been asked to gm Shadowrun or Battletech games - lots of possibilities to spread the word and attract new players *g*

Terrific! Glad to hear it.
TypeRyder
So, all Papers are faxed (and I hope it all worked - the Fax made some strange noises *g*)
The Entropic Wizard
Well, I signed up for the commando program, but I have yet to get the letter signed. I'll be bringing it to The Source in Roseville, Minneota. I've already talked to one of the full-timers there, and he said all I gotta do is drop off the papers at the store and he'll email me back. So I believe you'll be getting those soon.

BTW: Are there any Shadowrun Commandos in Minnesota at all? Or am I going to be the only one? eek.gif biggrin.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (The Entropic Wizard)
Are there any Shadowrun Commandos in Minnesota at all? Or am I going to be the only one? eek.gif biggrin.gif

We have one who's not very active a couple of hours SW of the Twin Cities area. But, since Roseville's near there, it looks like you'd definitely have your own region. smile.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (TypeRyder)
So, all Papers are faxed (and I hope it all worked - the Fax made some strange noises *g*)

And, you're added. smile.gif
The Entropic Wizard
We have one who's not very active a couple of hours SW of the Twin Cities area. But, since Roseville's near there, it looks like you'd definitely have your own region. 

Excellent! I've always wanted my own region. Will I be get underlings? I've always wanted those, too grinbig.gif

Anyhoo, I'll get those off to you ASAP. It's gonna be snail mail, though. Fax machines hate me with an unholy passion... sarcastic.gif
Demerzel
Well, I've broken down and done it. I'll be faxing in my application tomorrow, eairly California morning. There will be an event I'm planning on running a Demo at on the 28th so I'm hoping to get it all taken care of soon enough to get that event posted on commandohq.

EDIT: Sent, this (4/4/7) AM.
Xenith
I'm just wondering how long a snail mail application takes to process. I sent mine in Friday the 6th of April and I haven't heard anything. biggrin.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (Xenith)
I'm just wondering how long a snail mail application takes to process. I sent mine in Friday the 6th of April and I haven't heard anything. biggrin.gif

It depends, if you could please PM me with your name and where it was coming from, I'll see what I can turn up on the progress. smile.gif
The Entropic Wizard
Hey, it's me again. All apologies about the delay, but I've got my stuff signed and filled out. RL can really, really suck sometimes. Do I still need to write a letter about why you should accept me as a commando/detailing the run I plan if I have the forms signed by the gameshop?
the_dunner
QUOTE (The Entropic Wizard)
Do I still need to write a letter about why you should accept me as a commando/detailing the run I plan if I have the forms signed by the gameshop?

Those are two separate documents. We don't need the adventure summary if you have the signed letter from your local game shop. We do, however, still need something brief from you explaining why you're interested in the Commando Program.

Thanks!
Regnad Kcin

I think it will also be helpful if we get a periodic reminder about how to order an event. I had two sessions of Missions run at RoundCon last month, but they didn't get ordered because I couldn't find any of my old emails about how to do it.

I'm having a few sessions run at ConCarolinas next month, and I'm in the same position on those.

-Greg G
the_dunner
QUOTE (Regnad Kcin)
I think it will also be helpful if we get a periodic reminder about how to order an event.

The vast majority of Shadowrun Missions adventures are posted to the main Shadowrun site for free download.

If you want the latest Mission for your upcoming event, you can always PM me here or e-mail me at missions@shadowrunrpg.com I'd recommend PMing as a slightly more reliable method at this time.

There's a stickied thread over in the Missions Forum that's had this information posted for more than 3 years.

This information is also posted on the main Shadowrun site.

Please remember that Shadowrun Missions is a completely separate animal from the Commando Program (which this thread is dedicated to.) If you have Missions specific questions, please use the Missions forum or drop me a PM or e-mail and I'll be happy to answer them.
Cain
Out of curiosity, what precicely is due to happen to the FanPro Commando program now that the license is leaving Fanpro?
tisoz
QUOTE (Cain)
... now that the license is leaving Fanpro?

I totally missed this. Where was the outcry of gloom and doom?
InMediaRes Productions LLC. enters negotiations for the Classic Battletech and Shadowrun licenses from WizKids Inc.
As reported by IMR/BattleCorps:

INMEDIARES PRODUCTIONS LLC. ENTERS NEGOTIATIONS FOR THE CLASSIC BATTLETECH AND SHADOWRUN LICENSES FROM WIZKIDS INC.

Everett, WA, April 20, 2007—InMediaRes Production LLC has entered into negotiations with WizKids, Inc. and FanPro, LLC to explore the acquisition of RPG publishing rights for the Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun Intellectual Properties. IMR is confident in the strength of Shadowrun and Classic BattleTech and the commitment that WizKids, Inc. has shown in supporting these two long-standing properties.

About InMediaRes Productions LLC
InMediaRes Productions LLC has developed BattleCorps.com as the premiere on-line fiction source for Classic BattleTech. BattleCorps.com actively support the Classic BattleTech community, their BattleShop offers everything from poster maps to PDF sourcebooks, miniatures to software, and is the one-stop-shop for any fan of the BattleTech/MechWarrior universe. Their subscription-based services also take the Classic BattleTech experience to a whole new level, featuring a stable of authors from national best sellers to great new talent, new art, unique product previews, faction specific message boards and moderated chats with authors and developers.

About WizKids, Inc.
A wholly owned subsidiary of the Topps Company (TOPP), WizKids is a Seattle-based game developer and publisher dedicated to creating tabletop games driven by imagination. Its HeroClix® and Pirates brands are among the most successful games on the market today, with over one hundred million miniature game figures sold worldwide. For additional information, visit www.wizkidsgames.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loren L. Coleman’s Letter to the Community

Some of you may have heard the rumors beginning to build. Well, the announcements are now getting out there. Negotiations have begun, seeking to move the Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun properties to a new company, InMediaRes Productions.

As this moves forward, I’m certain we will hear information of long-time employees moving between companies, as well as dark rumors as to the fate of CBT and Shadowrun. I want not only to strike down such rumors, I can tell you that I see nothing but brighter, better days ahead for both game lines.

I have spoken with WizKids, and can assure you that this move is in the best interest of both Classic BattleTechand Shadowrun. I have every confidence in WizKids, in their support for the game lines, and their ability to ensure that the games we enjoy so much will only grow stronger.

I also think we owe a deep debt of gratitude to FanPro and its employees, as well, for bringing the properties this far. They have done an exceedingly hard job, taking over after FASA closed its doors, and the quality of the product we’ve seen in the last several years is a testament to their hard work and love for the games.

I know that I, and all other industry professionals I’ve spoken to, have re-committed ourselves to the game lines, no matter what. This is not something we would do if we were worried about their future. In fact, we are more excited than ever to have the ability to take both Classic BattleTech and Shadowrun to new and greater heights.

We look forward to seeing you there, along for the ride!

Loren L. Coleman
InMediaRes Productions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Boyle’s Letter to the Community

I’ve been the lead Shadowrun line developer for FanPro LLC since the day it started, through good times and bad. Along with the other developers and freelancers, we have all been absolutely committed to continuing and and growing this game line in new and exciting ways.

The time has now come to transfer the Shadowrun line into the hands of a new company. We are not saying goodbye, however–we’re coming along for the ride as well. Everyone who is part of the core Shadowrun production crew is looking forward to relocating the line to IMR’s stewardship and continuing to publish one of the best games out there. Despite the delays we’ve recently faced, we are excited that things will be getting back on track quite quickly.

Rob Boyle
Shadowrun Line Developer

The Entropic Wizard
Hm, maybe my current RL hell preventing me from getting the damned papers in the mail was for a reason.... I share the same concern as Cain... is the Commando program still going to be in effect?

And tisoz: Ditto.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Cain)
Out of curiosity, what precicely is due to happen to the FanPro Commando program now that the license is leaving Fanpro?

All members will have the option of moving to a similar program sponsored by IMR. We may change the name to something other than Commando. (Particularly since GW has decided to rename their Outriders to Kommandoes.)

For discussion of the licensing change, please use the stickied thread.
Aaron
Aw. No more jokes about "going commando."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012