Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mindprobe unconscious persons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
DireRadiant
QUOTE (eidolon)
As an aside, the mere fact that a spell called "orgy" exists in SR4 makes me wonder if the guys hired out to a team of 13 year olds for writing the magic section. ohplease.gif

edit: And since the person(s) that wrote the magic section may see this, note that I haven't given the section a thorough reading and am not actually commenting on your writing ability. Just your judgment and the fact that writing up spells after watching hentai and drinking a sixer of your favorite libation is probably a bad idea.

Think about this for a moment...

So if you expect every 13 year old to be the kind of person to dream up Orgy spells, why does that mean there isn't or shouldn't be an orgy spell in the SR4 universe?

Isn't the SR4 universse filled with 13 year old wiz kids who can not only dream these things up, but actually do it?

So why exactly shouldn't it be in the book?
cristomeyers
When I saw the Orgasm/Orgy spell, all I thought was "at least now they're being honest about what Stimulate really does."
eidolon
Call me old fashioned. I just think it's ridiculous. Take the analogy of a woman in extremely revealing lingerie being more exciting than one leaving nothing to the imagination, if you like. Or don't. I don't expect everyone to hold my opinion.
Ravor
I could be wrong, but aren't Orgy and Turn to Goo spells that used to exist in Shadowrun but were dropped in Third Edition and are now back in Fourth?
cristomeyers
QUOTE (eidolon @ Apr 5 2007, 10:38 AM)
Call me old fashioned.  I just think it's ridiculous.  Take the analogy of a woman in extremely revealing lingerie being more exciting than one leaving nothing to the imagination, if you like.  Or don't.  I don't expect everyone to hold my opinion.

Oh, I think it's stupid, believe me. Maybe funny at first, but it gets really old quick. I just don't think it's anything new to the game.
knasser
QUOTE (eidolon)
Call me old fashioned. I just think it's ridiculous. Take the analogy of a woman in extremely revealing lingerie being more exciting than one leaving nothing to the imagination, if you like. Or don't. I don't expect everyone to hold my opinion.

Isn't that a little perverse, to fetishize over clothing, so that a someone in a natural state is considered less attractive than someone who conceals for the purpose of arousal?

As to the spell... quickened or sustaining focus versions make for interesting punishments and given the realism of the Shadowrun setting and the established power of magic, it would be odd for these spells not to exist.
Kyoto Kid
...torture by pleasure can at times be more effective than torture by pain.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (eidolon)

Ah, well, shooting people in the face for money is perfectly fine (old fashioned too!) as long as we don't include the bits about what 13 years olds will do with magic spells..
eidolon
Re: my analogy. It's not even necessarily that I hold that particular view, it was the only analogy I could think of that I found applicable. Curse my lack of storage capacity, I need to get that "random analogy and metaphor" knowsoft.

As far as what's "acceptable", blah blah blah moralizing blah blah blah. I think it's effing retarded, not for any real deep rooted moral objection or anything, but because I think it's effing retarded. If the spell didn't exist in my game (and it doesn't, since I play SR3) and a player tried to create it, we might have a laugh, but my answer would be "not happening, that's retarded."

Best reason I could give you, excepting a poorly chosen analogy? It smacks of immaturity. Someone didn't like that reason, so I tried to go farther, but in reality, it's just that it's damn stupid IMO. That's about as far as I really got. Does other stuff in SR canon smack of immaturity and/or stupidity? Yeah, but most of the stuff that's as blatant about it as a spell called orgy gets ignored or flat tossed from my games, too.

If you like stuff like this in your games, then great! Go nuts! I don't.

Sometimes an opinion is just an opinion. Sometimes I forget that and try to explain them beyond what's necessary. Call it a condition symptomatic to forum participation, this knee-jerk tendency to further explain even when it's not really necessary.

edit: Oh, and add a mental smiley after "call me old fashioned" in my earlier post. It wasn't intended to actually connote that I'm too staunch/conservative/etc. to allow a spell called orgy. I just think...well, you know. Effing retarded. smile.gif
knasser
QUOTE (eidolon @ Apr 5 2007, 06:51 PM)
Re: my analogy.  It's not even necessarily that I hold that particular view, it was the only analogy I could think of that I found applicable.  Curse my lack of storage capacity, I need to get that "random analogy and metaphor" knowsoft.

As far as what's "acceptable", blah blah blah moralizing blah blah blah.  I think it's effing retarded, not for any real deep rooted moral objection or anything, but because I think it's effing retarded.  If the spell didn't exist in my game (and it doesn't, since I play SR3) and a player tried to create it, we might have a laugh, but my answer would be "not happening, that's retarded."

Best reason I could give you, excepting a poorly chosen analogy?  It smacks of immaturity.  Someone didn't like that reason, so I tried to go farther, but in reality, it's just that it's damn stupid IMO.  That's about as far as I really got.  Does other stuff in SR canon smack of immaturity and/or stupidity?  Yeah, but most of the stuff that's as blatant about it as a spell called orgy gets ignored or flat tossed from my games, too.

If you like stuff like this in your games, then great!  Go nuts!  I don't.

Sometimes an opinion is just an opinion.  Sometimes I forget that and try to explain them beyond what's necessary.  Call it a condition symptomatic to forum participation, this knee-jerk tendency to further explain even when it's not really necessary.

edit:  Oh, and add a mental smiley after "call me old fashioned" in my earlier post.  It wasn't intended to actually connote that I'm too staunch/conservative/etc. to allow a spell called orgy.  I just think...well, you know.  Effing retarded. smile.gif

Would it be fair to say that your objection is that something as blatant as the Orgy and Orgasm spells are simply an irresistable siren call for immature players to act like idiots? (I use the term "idiots" because on the Internet, you can never tell which people might actually be thirteen year olds and I hate to cause offence).

If that's the case, I can see your point.
eidolon
Thanks, knasser. Yeah, that's definitely a pretty good sized part of it. Just hadn't thought to frame it that way.

Which I guess could be taken to mean that I don't trust "gamers" on the whole to be able to handle that without it being stupid/immature/annoying. Which I suppose is true, on the whole. No offense to anyone personally/individually, of course. (Although as always, feel free to take it anyway if you like. biggrin.gif)
fool
while people's reactions to the name of the spell may be stupid, , and their abiolity to role play the spell limited, the actual spell itself works quite well with the other illusion spells in SM. Bugs, agony etc. It's just creating a different illusion, one that might not totally hack off the subject.
I only brought it up as an example of how a spell other than MP can be used to get info with relatively equal results; and you can use the other dp modifying spells the same way (again, bugs, agony etc.)
Kyoto Kid
...what ever happened to simply using magic fingers to tickle the sammy or guard? Excellent distraction without all the connotation baggage.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...what ever happened to simply using magic fingers to tickle the sammy or guard? Excellent distraction without all the connotation baggage.

But can the magic fingers perform digital-genital stimulation to act as a makeshit orgasm spell? rotfl.gif
Kyoto Kid
...I was referring to tickling ribs. Makes em squirm real good
fool
or the standard, pull the pins on their grenades. I guess that's more ooze than squirm.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (fool)
or the standard, pull the pins on their grenades. I guess that's more ooze than squirm.

...a good use as well.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (fool @ Apr 5 2007, 08:10 PM)
or the standard, pull the pins on their grenades.  I guess that's more ooze than squirm.

...a good use as well.

GM (Me): Ok, you (the grenadier) make a sound/touch perception check.
Player: *rolls* *reports number of hits*
GM: Okay, you hear and feel the pins on several of your grenades being pulled.
Players: ...
GM: vegm.gif

Oh, this'll get used. Oh yeah, this'll get used... vegm.gif

And here I thought that magic fingers was only a marginally useful spell...
Demerzel
I think you just proved my position in this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=17118&hl=
Jaid
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 5 2007, 09:42 PM)
or the standard, pull the pins on their grenades.  I guess that's more ooze than squirm.

...a good use as well.

magic fingers is a spell that everyone should have. it's a fine control version of levitate, and there is not an awful lot you couldn't potentially do with magic fingers, only instead of being right there, you can be as far away as you can see (heh... i could totally see some ritual version of the spell being used for demolitions from the opposite side of the globe or something... would be pretty awesome)
fool
I think you just proved my position in this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...topic=17118&hl=

I didn't actually read what your point in that thread was, but I should point out that it was a standard use by pc mages in our campaigns and was almost never used by npc mages ( I think the GM's forgot about it until it was too late.

magic fingers is a spell that everyone should have. it's a fine control version of levitate, and there is not an awful lot you couldn't potentially do with magic fingers, only instead of being right there, you can be as far away as you can see (heh... i could totally see some ritual version of the spell being used for demolitions from the opposite side of the globe or something... would be pretty awesome)

Remember though that the agi. and str. = force so for demplitions purposes, you better just have a button for the magic fingers to push and make stuff go boom.
Demerzel
QUOTE (fool @ Apr 7 2007, 01:42 PM)
I didn't actually read what your point in that thread was,

The question was Why is there hostility between GM's and Players, and my answer was that it was due entirely to the existance of this smiley: vegm.gif

bibliophile20 used it twice.... It was funny to me at least...
eidolon
I got it. It was ... funny.

wink.gif
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Jaid @ Apr 6 2007, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Apr 5 2007, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 5 2007, 09:42 PM)

...a good use as well.

Ok, for this, I figured that, since I'm using this idea, it would behoove me to come up with some rules for it beforehand, rather than off-the-cuff, so here goes:

The magician casts Magic Fingers and, for example's sake, gets four hits, giving the magic fingers an effective strength and agility of 4. After this is done, he targets an enemy that has grenades in plain view (like a bandoleer, not in a pouch; LOS and all that) and makes a melee attack roll, using his skill in unarmed combat (for example's sake, 2) plus the magic fingers' agility, with a +2 bonus for making a touch attack, minus any range modifiers that may apply, and minus 1 or 2 for making what effectively amounts to a called shot to the grenade pins.

The target, unless he has allocated edge, is under counterspelling, or is actively engaged in melee combat with someone else, does not roll for defense (he is, after all, unaware of the attack). If the target is engaged in melee, he rolls reaction.

If the attack roll was successful, the mage has pulled a number of pins equal to his hits + magic fingers' Agility (or net hits, in case the target resisted) and the grenades will go off on on his initiative on the next combat round.

The target, if the mage was successful, makes a Perception (Touch) test with a threshold of (4-number of pins pulled). If successful, he makes a Reaction + Intuition + (Perception test net hits) to figure out which grenades had their pins pulled, with each hit locating one grenade. After that, he can get rid of (Agility) grenades per simple action, either throwing them randomly (no test; GM makes attack roll and decides where they end up) or by making a attack roll as per normal grenade combat, but can only throw the normal number of grenades (Agility/2).

If the grenades go off next to his body, the target must make a damage resistance test for (potentially multiple) point blank grenade detonations.

So, whaddaya think? Workable?
Wasabi
I'd say pulling pins would be like picking up an item. If you did it in your meat body with nimble fingers, combat hadnt started, and you had multitasking then you could pull 4. (2 free actions, 2 standard actions).

Otherwise only two.

Which ones have the pins removed is easy since it takes like 4 pounds of force to pull the steel pins from the grenades. that much force the target will feel despite armor, etc.
ornot
I wouldn't use that on a player unless he were really being obnoxious. I'd also be inclined to increase the penalty for targeting the grenade's pin, since that's a pretty small target.

Still, the circumstance isn't likely to crop up all that often, and it is a nicely cinematic use for the spell.
OSUMacbeth
Two things: Unless you're completely addicted to random chance, the DM can indeed always say "that didn't work," or "you succeed," entirely on fiat. No, it's not railroading. Yes, even the SR book says sometimes ya gotta fudge. I've never seen a single RPG book of any type that recommended you never fudge at all. I only do it once in a blue moon, and my players never see my dice anyway, so they generally can't even tell when I've done it. That's the key of course. The players can never know.

("BEST SERVED COLD" SPOILER)
Example: Yesterday I ran "Best served cold." The team's hacker (who is new to the game and understands hacking in only a very cursory way wanted to hack a customized ares commlink. According to the adventure, this commlink "cheats" because it rolls system+firewall against only 1/2 the hacker's stealth when the hacker tries to hack in, and nukes its contents if it gets net hits. Now, this player loves his new character and is really trying to be helpful to the team. So, when he tries to hack it the commlink gets one net success. Sure, I could go by the dice and say "You fried the 'link, way to make more work for the team and screw them out of about 30,000 nuyen in paydata. Instead, as DM I think "one net success isn't that much, only one die away from failing to notice. I didn't see it." Now instead of my new hacker bringing the team down and feeling useless because he screwed up, he gets to be the hero who brought in that 30,000 nuyen and the other info valuable to the run.

Now, again, 99.9% of the time the dice rule. But if it's the choice between fudging something and turning a five-hour run into a twenty minute run because a mage is abusing mindprobe, I'll fudge every day of the week. Perhaps some players and DMs like to play 30-minute minimum-risk runs with full awards at the end, but brother, that is not us. It's worth noting, though, that I have never, ever, fudged a death roll either way. Sometimes I'll even fudge to make things harder because, well, we play to have fun and be challenged, not walk all over a system by utilizing its most broken aspects.

So I guess I'm saying, if you're a DM and you fudge sometimes, don't worry, you're doing okay. smile.gif In my opinion, the DM's job goes beyond being a simple arbiter of dice rolls and keeper of plot-knowledge. You're there to make the game as exciting, challenging, rewarding, and fun as possible for everyone involved, including yourself.

I'm really very lucky as a DM though, because my players see things like mindprobe for what they are and would rather play an interesting, difficult game than show how god-awful powerful their piece of paper can be. God bless my players.

OSUMacbeth
Demon_Bob
Why is the person unconsious?
Is he asleep? In which case answers would be possible although not always correct. Dreams are funny places truth often does not always hold out. Things are sometimes fabricated that sound good to the persons subconsious at the time. With some people a spell would not even be needed to get an answer.

Has he been drugged? If so by what? Some drugs limit neural activity, so no answers to any questions there. A drug that lowers will power would give the best results. If you are in a position to administer drugs to someone perhaps Mind probe really is not needed. A person with classified knowledge should be kept under watch if drugs are used that might allow secrets to slip out (say in a hospital).

If the spell becomes to abused you could always have the character develop Multi-Personality Disorder.

It would just be easier to say in several cases that the guard just does not know. Simular to the discussion I had with a fellow player,"Why would the guard stationed on the outside have the key? If he was authorized to enter, then he would be on the inside. That way he only has to worry about those who try to go through the door instead of everyone." Ok that argument does not always hold up in life but. . .
Mistwalker
My players use mindprobe on a regular basis. It is not the automatic win spell that some dread. As has been mentioned, not all NPCs will have all the answers.

And, the NPC only answers the questions that you ask!!!! I make my players ask the questions, and answer them as truthfully as possible. I do not give them anything else, even if it would make the run a cake walk. They have to ask the question. Normally, they miss a few things everytime they use Mindprobe.

Mindprobe has not been used to avoid legwork, but to supplement legwork, verify facts, etc...

So far, they have always used it on sleeping NPCs. They work hard for that NPC not to realize what has been done to them.
One case, two of the attractive PCs (one male, one female) slept with a guard team leader. Once the NPC was asleep, they mindprobed him, did an alter memory (after all, dreams get confusing and change when you try to remember them), then, in the morning had sex with him again.
Now, they often ask nonsense questions, like what does purple taste like, how many angels can dance on the pin of a head, etc.. to help confuse the issue, to have people dismiss it all as a strange dream.
They keep quiet about using mindprobe as well, not letting the Johnson know that they know it.

Knowing that I am an evil, twisted GM, they also know that some main NPCs will set up their minions with false info, because they know about mindprobe, and because of normal betrayal of minions.

Also, I have floated rumors around that Lone Star, Knight Errant and such have been known to use mindprobe on nasty criminals and runners. Even if they can't use it in court, it helps them with crime solving (since they now know who the culprit is, they stop investigating the wrong people-stop wasting time and resources), and can at times, find the physical evidence that will allow them to officially solve the crime and convict the runner.
Wasabi
Great ideas Mistwalker!

I'd only add that its reasonable that casting spells on a naturally sleeping target could wake the target (perception at a penalty maybe and then maybe even automatic waking when the spell is cast.)

In my own situation the mind probe is usually cast after a stun bolt/ball or a slew of Gel rounds/Stick-n-shock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012