Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mindprobe unconscious persons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Garrowolf
How about compartmentalizing you information?

You can access the secretary when you start out. She knows the front part of the building. Then you get to a guard. He can get farther into the building but not into level 2. Then you get the info to access level 2 but don' t have access to the labs. Then you get access to the labs. etc.

Make it like an onion with multiple ways of getting through each part. The security goes from regular guards to augmented guards to heavy drones. Past a certain point there is no one within reach to mind probe to get any farther.

Having the mind probe a series of willpower tests makes sense as well. I would also make it take a while. The mage is going to have to sift through lots of crap to get what he wants - especially if he is unconscious. Have the mage make some composure rolls as well.

If you want the guard to be able to do his job but not have a password for them to use then make it based on biometrics that match his being alone in a booth.

One thing I thought of was what if Corps wanted to augment their people but were too cheap to do so. They end up getting a bunch of combat drugs controlled by the spyder. Once an alarm of a certain level goes off he juices the guards. They could also have a drug connected to a biomonitor. If they go unconscious then it puts them into a false coma. The mage can't get anything useful.
ornot
If the facility were large enough you could have guards that only knew about the part they were stationed in, and that is an entirely reasonable means to limit the information gained from MP.

I don't think many of the ultra-paranoid denizens of 2070 would be terribly willing to have drug delivery devices attached to them. It's one thing to does yourself with combat drugs, but to have them imposed remotely is quite another. In the long term it would be cheaper to enhance a guard with 'ware (which you can even take out of his wages in a kind of company loan/perk type of thing), rather than pay the guard the extra cash required to get him to agree to be put into a coma if he's knocked out.
Jaid
QUOTE (ornot)
If the facility were large enough you could have guards that only knew about the part they were stationed in, and that is an entirely reasonable means to limit the information gained from MP.

I don't think many of the ultra-paranoid denizens of 2070 would be terribly willing to have drug delivery devices attached to them. It's one thing to does yourself with combat drugs, but to have them imposed remotely is quite another. In the long term it would be cheaper to enhance a guard with 'ware (which you can even take out of his wages in a kind of company loan/perk type of thing), rather than pay the guard the extra cash required to get him to agree to be put into a coma if he's knocked out.

i don't see them using 'ware. i see them using DMSO slap-patches (already stuck to your skin, just waiting for the DMSO to be added to the part contacting you) activated either wirelessly or via skinlink. honestly, why would you waste the money to implant an auto-injector that's only gonna be used once in a blue moon?
Jérémie
Don't forget that, unless you need stealth, a mage can simply have the target badly injured or rendered unconscious (stun spell, whatever). And with -3, -4 or -5D to resist the spell, even with a near superhuman willpower, a decent PC mage will get to unconscious thoughts quite easily.

And even for stealth action, that quite simple to do (even if you need more dices to do it): Influence to stop the target from reacting to its mind being probed, then alter memory to clean it.

It's almost flawless. Ok, it won't solve anything, but it's still the more powerful spell—and by FAR—in the book. And as being said earlier, the trio Mind Probe, Influence, Alter Memory, are more useful than anything else in the game.

To the point where it affect the world. Every non-shadow somewhat big time criminal (even a "simple" mob soldetto) need to take that capability into consideration, and remind himself of it everyday (until it's second nature). Because the cops will have access to it... oh yeah, for "public" cops like Seattle Lone Star it's illegal to use, and can't be evidence? Too bad, let's prove you have been probed...

A good dev editing would have been to seriously limit the capability of these three spells, starting with a big drain (+7 seems a bare minimum).
X-Kalibur
I'm sorry, wait, how is someone losing willpower dice to resist a spell? Injury modifiers to not apply to resistance tests. They would apply to a mages actual counterspelling, but not to the base resist.
ornot
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (ornot @ Mar 30 2007, 07:23 AM)

I don't think many of the ultra-paranoid denizens of 2070 would be terribly willing to have drug delivery devices attached to them. It's one thing to dose yourself with combat drugs, but to have them imposed remotely is quite another. In the long term it would be cheaper to enhance a guard with 'ware (which you can even take out of his wages in a kind of company loan/perk type of thing), rather than pay the guard the extra cash required to get him to agree to be put into a coma if he's knocked out.

i don't see them using 'ware. i see them using DMSO slap-patches (already stuck to your skin, just waiting for the DMSO to be added to the part contacting you) activated either wirelessly or via skinlink. honestly, why would you waste the money to implant an auto-injector that's only gonna be used once in a blue moon?

I don't recall saying anything about implanting any auto-injector 'ware.

My point was that guards are unlikely to react well to being told "if we consider it necessary we're going to dose you with combat drugs", and even less well to "if you should fall unconscious we're going to dose you with drugs that put you into a coma so that any shadowrunning mages can't mind probe you".

Of course in 2070 there are people that will do stuff like that for money, but frankly it's easier to subsidise a guard implanting 'ware (reaction boosters, muscle augmentation etc.), and probably cheaper too.
ornot
QUOTE (Jérémie)
Don't forget that, unless you need stealth, a mage can simply have the target badly injured or rendered unconscious (stun spell, whatever). And with -3, -4 or -5D to resist the spell, even with a near superhuman willpower, a decent PC mage will get to unconscious thoughts quite easily.

And even for stealth action, that quite simple to do (even if you need more dices to do it): Influence to stop the target from reacting to its mind being probed, then alter memory to clean it.

It's almost flawless. Ok, it won't solve anything, but it's still the more powerful spell—and by FAR—in the book. And as being said earlier, the trio Mind Probe, Influence, Alter Memory, are more useful than anything else in the game.

To the point where it affect the world. Every non-shadow somewhat big time criminal (even a "simple" mob soldetto) need to take that capability into consideration, and remind himself of it everyday (until it's second nature). Because the cops will have access to it... oh yeah, for "public" cops like Seattle Lone Star it's illegal to use, and can't be evidence? Too bad, let's prove you have been probed...

A good dev editing would have been to seriously limit the capability of these three spells, starting with a big drain (+7 seems a bare minimum).

Or you could just have guards trained to notice the effects of magic, and patrolling in groups rather than alone. If one starts behaving oddly, or falls over, or whatever the others can raise an alarm.

If you check your book you'll notice that Mindprobe is a touch range spell anyway. Good luck using it without being noticed.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
KK, it seems a major problem of your PCs is that they are approaching Shadowrun with a "Gotta Win" attitude. They do whatever gets them to their goal the easiest and then that's it. I'm not sure how you treat contact upkeep, or reputation but maybe you should just have a completely RP session. Just stop doing your campaign or put it in the background and just have your PCs hang out. Sometimes if all you keep getting is mission after mission after mission, you get into a do what makes us win attitude and can't do anything else. I'd just have all the PCs show up, make them think they're going on another campaign mission and then have them hang out, maintain contacts, gather some gear, or build up another relationship with a possible contact.

...a pretty good assessment. One of the players was often the "proverbial bull in the china shop" when it came to chomping at the bit.

A straight RP session is something I would like to do again. I Tried it once in my last campaign only to have several players complain they wanted to "kill something". Ended up improvi[si]ng a run just to keep them happy. Consequently they missed out on RP Karma and important clues for the main campaign in doing so.

I attempt to push a legwork and interplay with contacts a lot in every session. I also run "downtime" for stuff like getting gear and performing other tasks like B&R, Conjuring/Binding, etc. My previous SR3 campaign was filled with clues, many of which were set in the RP segments. Unfortunately a number of the players seemed to suffer from the "Unaware" flaw, in that even if the clues were in billboard size fluorescent neon they would still miss them.
Jérémie
QUOTE (X-Kalibur)
Injury modifiers to not apply to resistance tests. They would apply to a mages actual counterspelling, but not to the base resist.

Damage resistance test only. As far as I've read anyway, if you have a quote that say otherwise, I'm interested.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Jérémie @ Mar 30 2007, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Mar 30 2007, 07:11 PM)
Injury modifiers to not apply to resistance tests. They would apply to a mages actual counterspelling, but not to the base resist.

Damage resistance test only. As far as I've read anyway, if you have a quote that say otherwise, I'm interested.

Any potentially harmful spell cast upon you is subject to a resistance test, I don't need to look up an exact quote. Casting a spell requires a complex action. The spellcaster rolls spellcasting + magic, modified by foci, totem bonuses, bound spirits, and/or visibility modifiers (pg 173, BBB).

Spells cast on a living or magic targets are often resisted, and an opposed test is required. For area spells, the magician rolls only once, and each target resists the spell seperately. The target resists physical spells with Body and mana spells with Willpower. If the target is also protected by counterspelling they may add the counterspelling dice to this resistance test.

In the case of a combat spell, this is also the only damage resistance chance the target gets. Most mages will already have at least 2x the dice to throw than you have to resist. Please don't attempt to twist the rules more in favor of mages there.

<edit> even better, tell you what, find me a quote where it states that ANY modifiers other than the spell resistance quality, counterspelling, or being behind an astral barrier affect your roll for resisting spells.
Ravor
Jérémie, what do you think happens to a mage known for using what you've described as an "almost flawless tactic" once word gets out that he specializes in Mindraping people? After all, can you really be sure that he doesn't do the same thing to you whenever you meet? (That is assuming that I agree that the tactic is the be-all-end-all that the anti-mage side seems to think that it is, I don't because of the simple means which a corp has to defend themselves plus the fact that it really isn't anything that a Decker specializing in Mindraping his victims using BTL grade Psych IC should be able to achieve given private access and a little time with his target.)

However, I do have to wonder whether Kyoto Kid has similair problems with the ease Deckers/Hardware Experts have in getting information/pass security systems, or the juicy tid-bits a good face can turn up if given the chance, because, the way I see it, if a corp is stupid or small enough to give people that it can't really protect whether through remote monitering, sequestoring them on corp grounds, or even providing fragging bodyguards key information that by itself will allow Joe Runner off the street to waltz right in and take whatever fancy do-dad they are working on this week then they either are or will very shortly be nothing more then the small frys that the Fixers of the Sixth World use for Milk Runs in order to judge their up-and-coming street level talent, or if they actually have anything to offer, newly aquired assests to a larger corp actually able to pay for security.

And if you have runners that are able to cut through the counter-measures mentioned throughout this thread "null sweat", then I'd humbly suggest that its time to retire the group of Prime Runners you have, or to give them tasks that are worthy of the likes of Fastjack, because I just don't agree that Mindraping your way through life is the 'I win' button that I perhaps mistakenly get the impression you think it is.
Jaid
incidentally, you can know that the magician isn't mind probing you because mind probe explicitly lets the target know they're being mind probed. it does not let them know who is casting the spell, mind you, but in order to be able to get decent results, the mage will likely want a force 4 spell minimum, quite likely going up to force 6 or more, to insure enough hits to dig through the target's brain. add on to that the fact that you must be touching the target...

which means it's going to be quite easy to tell the mage is casting something... now it doesn't take much to figure out that if the mage is casting something at the moment, and that you're being mind probed at the moment, it's a pretty good bet that the mage is mind probing you. mind probe is not a discreet tool, it is in fact a very blunt instrument sort of way of getting information out of someone.
Ravor
However, that is why the casting of Mind Probe is then covered up by Alter Memory, which admittedly isn't a perfect long-term solution, but hey, its enough to last for months on its own and I can't see any reason that it couldn't be reinforced by a second casting if the first wore off and you didn't manage to geek the fragging mage before he got to you a second, third, fourth, ect time. And we can't forget that he also uses Control Thoughts in order to aquire Ritual Links so he doesn't even have to get LOS in order to Mindrape you. Now granted, everything has to go 'just so' for him to use his supposed 'I win' button, but we have to assume that everything goes just perfect and that the spells in question are way overpowered for the NERF Squad's agrument to have any merit in the first place.

You see, given the hyper-paranoid nature of sucessful runners, fixers, ect I stand by my statement that any mage (Or Decker for that matter.) that lets it slip that his speciality is Mindraping people isn't long for the Sixth World.

*Edit*

And also remember that I very much doubt that your average runner, fixer, Mr J, man-on-the-street has the Knowledge Skills necessary to understand that by itself Mind Probe can't be used without them realizing it, after all I imagine that Karl Kombat Mage and its ilk shows two versions of Mind Probe, a horribly painful version that 'evil warlocks' use to learn your life story and the gentle and almost unnoticalbe version used by Karl in order to gleen the location of the tac-nuke just in time to use Physical Barrier to contain its explosion.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ravor)
However, I do have to wonder whether Kyoto Kid has similair problems with the ease Deckers/Hardware Experts have in getting information/pass security systems, or the juicy tid-bits a good face can turn up if given the chance, because, the way I see it, if a corp is stupid or small enough to give people that it can't really protect whether through remote monitering, sequestoring them on corp grounds, or even providing fragging bodyguards key information that by itself will allow Joe Runner off the street to waltz right in and take whatever fancy do-dad they are working on this week then they either are or will very shortly be nothing more then the small frys that the Fixers of the Sixth World use for Milk Runs in order to judge their up-and-coming street level talent, or if they actually have anything to offer, newly aquired assests to a larger corp actually able to pay for security.

...with regards to mundane threats, the answer is no.

Actually I find the presence of safeguards to protect against decker/hacker and other mundane intrusions to be more widespread than against magical intrusion. Much of the tech is fairly accessible to even a "small fry" company. IC and a good firewall is very cost effective. Likewise the wide array of physical security systems would not be hard for most firms to acquire and maintain. I consider Spiders to be far more common than Security Mages since the skills to do so are accessible to a much wider segment of the population.

Unfortunately where things break down is when the uber runner mages with their armies of bound spirits (or elementals in previous editions), foci sustained (or quickened) spells, and power foci show up. Confuse a few guards here (having spirits/elementals do so), mind rape a researcher there, and get in the head of the site's manager to convince him you're his best buddy in the whole wide world so he gives you the keys to the lab (heck he'll even unlock it for you) all while under the cloak of improved invisibility and spirit concelament.

Personally, I am not into waging a campaign of escalating Magical proliferation. I was originally attracted to the game primarily by the tech and setting. Magic has always kind of been a bane especially when players started "munching" their mage characters to the point I felt I needed a partol armed with panther cannons to make them even consider doing the "duck & cover".
Ravor
Well, all I can say is that I feel sorry for you if you really do let your players run roughshod all over you like that. (Of course, allowing your players to use rules which you hadn't throughly read and didn't own the book for might have something to do with it.)

Wait, I guess I do have something else to add, I don't consider smart Magical Security to be "escalating Magical proliferation", nor does it need having a Corp Mage on hand for every target in order to be effective. Of course, if you are convinced the magic really is a 'I win' button then there really isn't anything that anyone can say to convince you otherwise although I'd like to see exactly step-by-step what your players are using because I'd bet dollars to donuts that something is being misread.

Fastball
There is a difference between being asleep and unconscious. Unconscious is the state you achieve with general anesthesia, a coma, or a blow to the face. We don't know exactly how your mind works while you are unconscious, but since there is no response to stimuli, it is believed there is no awareness. This could create two problems with mind probe.

1. "The target is aware of probing . . . ." An unconscious person (not necessarily a sleeping person) is unaware. Since you can't be both aware and unaware, it is impossible to mind probe an unconscious person.

2. "The subject may probe for one piece of information per Complex Action." This suggests the spellcaster is not sifting through memories like a book, but is having a communication with the mind. The caster asks a question, and the mind responds. This explanation of the how the spell work also helps to explain why the target is aware. However, since an unconscious person can't respons to stimuli, they couldn't respond to a mind probe.

Both of these provide plausible rationale to explain why mind probe wouldn't work on an unconscious target. I don't know if they are the intended interpretation of the rules, but they are certainly a logically accurate interpretation.

Another benefit of the "communication with the mind theory" is with glitches. If the spellcaster glitches, the victime shoud become aware not only of the mind probe, but of the desired information and to provide false answers. A critical glitch would allow the victim to read the mind of the spellcaster. Of course, you would have to keep the roll secret from teh player for maximum effectiveness.
DigitEyez
I agree. I like the glitch and critical glitch idea as well... it isn't mentioned in the book though. Did you make it up, Fastball?

Also make sure you cap the hits (not net hits) made on the spellcasting check by the force of the spell. If they only cast it at the minimum force needed to obtain the required information (force 3), the guard needs only 1 hit on his resistance test to make sure only surface thoughts will be read.

And since they are one of the few people that might know the things they do, they sure as hell are using edge to make sure they don't risk losing their jobs. So just make sure the mage doesn't get more then 2 net hits on the first try and your the guard will be fine. smile.gif
WhiskeyMac
But the problem KK has is that her PCs will spend the time to just mindrape the guy until he can't resist anymore and they get the information they need. Then they pop the guy twice in his skull and dissolve him in a vat of acid or some such method to get rid of the body. At least, that's what I think her problem is.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Ravor)
Well, all I can say is that I feel sorry for you if you really do let your players run roughshod all over you like that. (Of course, allowing your players to use rules which you hadn't throughly read and didn't own the book for might have something to do with it.)   

Wait, I guess I do have something else to add, I don't consider smart Magical Security to be "escalating Magical proliferation", nor does it need having a Corp Mage on hand for every target in order to be effective. Of course, if you are convinced the magic really is a 'I win' button then there really isn't anything that anyone can say to convince you otherwise although I'd like to see exactly step-by-step what your players are using because I'd bet dollars to donuts that something is being misread.

...not having Street Magic and not being 100% up on all nuances of the magic rules in the BBB was admittedly a big part of the issue. Like I alluded to in another post, I do have a life outside SR which does not include sitting down every night with the books to look for every exploitable loophole. I am still getting used to adjusting to the new ruleset & often have to hit myself in the head with the BBB for still thinking in SR3 terms.

In some ways Cyberpunk would be more my speed since it is totally mundane based, but I also enjoy much of the world detail that SR has. Of course, I realise that without Magic, much of the "history" which shaped the world of 2070 would never have come to pass.

Tech counters tech, magic counters magic, but also trumps tech particularly where the astral is concerned (kind of a "rock paper scissors" thing the way I see it). A spirit can mess with a sammy, but the sammy needs almost ungodly firepower to take out the spirit and then, the spirit needs to be in manifested form for the sammy to even have a chance at tagging it.

With the level of magic some PCs throw around I do have to escalate the magical threat to keep pace. Whiskey Mac hit the nail on the head, about PC mages being designed to throw around fistfulls of dice every time they cast a spell. Yes, successes are capped by force but throw in edge, and that falls apart. It is very frustrating to deal with a mage who has a 5 edge & throws it into casting that boffo spell several times a mission. Now the poor target has to soak or shake off a spell effect of potentially more than the force x2 (force + maximum allowed hits). Meanwhile the target has his 3 WP pool. Even if he counters with his edge (usually 2 - 3) the advantage is still in heavily favour of the mage.

Not that I am ignoring the options and suggestions people have offered here and on other threads concerning magic, They are very much appreciated and many have found their way into my "playbook" for future use. This is one of the things I like about the forum.

Admittedly I was never really one for whole concept of magic and rarely play mages (or psionicists, or Jedi, or whatever), in any game system. In all of my SR playing career (beginning with SR1) I had only two spellcaster PCs, neither of whom I played very much. I know it sounds strange, but I even prefer running Deckers/Hackers to playing a Mage even though they involve a lot more bookkeeping (wish vehicle Riggers hadn't been nerfed as they have in been SR4, they were my number one fave).

I have since met up with a new group of players (via the DS GM/Player Registry forum) who are as I have seen, much less inclined to develop what I consider over dominating and disruptive characters. As a matter of fact I didn't even have a spell slinger on the new Rhapsody in Shadow team until the last player joined. In the previous run of the campaign I had to deal with as many as four + their spirits & elementals.

Actually, in thinking about it, it is not so much the spellcasting as it is conjuring that really makes things difficult. Suddenly one player can be in control of four or five characters (if he or she has bound spirits) who can do a number of things including assist him further in spellcasting. Meanwhile everyone else has only one, save maybe for the rigger ho has a drone or two out, (but even then he still has to "jump in" to make it really effective thus still being only a single character). In other game systems conjuring or calling in astral entities is a fairly high level ability and often requires a spell to do so.

Also in other systems, one just can't keep casting spells ad nauseum as there are limits (some of them admittedly pretty lame) to how much magic can be thrown around on a given day. An SR mage, if designed right, can minimise the occurrence of drain which is the only control to his spellcasting in SR. Take a couple boxes of stun, sit & rest for an hour and you're as good as new. At least overcasting has been reined in a bit by not being able to heal damage from drain (FAQ). I have further extended this to Mundane treatment since i treat the damage as not being a "wound" like you would get from a bullet or blade (had a PC who would have her street doc contact nearby when she did her binding ritual just in case).
Garrowolf
Well the best way to stop a mage is to remove their ability to get at the guards. In a secure facility there is no reason for the guards to be seen in the first place. Have heavy combat drones actually standing behind false walls. Have guards walking above the hallways looking down through one way glass. Or have them walking along the side between walls between two hallways. Have a band of glowmoss along the halls as well. They patrol but you can't see them. The mage can't touch them. If there is a problem then they release sleep gas through the sprinklers. Have ID check rooms where if you get it wrong it will lower the whole room into a hardened area. It retracts the walls and puts you at the bad end of a firing range against a weapon emplacement with no cover.

or am I being too evil biggrin.gif
knasser

Reading between the lines, KK., I think a lot of the problems you are having are stemming from a lack of control over your game, I'm afraid to say. For example, you mention that the magician character is suddenly able to be in charge of four of five characters by summoning spirits. Well firstly, assuming they were Force 4 spirits, that's 2k nuyen each for the binding. So assuming that a mage pulls that trick each game and he typically uses up all services (probably not quite, but close), then he or she is burning away eight to ten-thousand nuyen as expenses for each run. How does that happen? And he has enough left over for a decent lifestyle? The non-magician characters must be rolling in money!

And a minor point following on from that, the player doesn't have four or five extra characters. You the GM do. The player gets to order them about. The higher the force, the more personality I usually give a spirit. (Note, I don't always use this against a player. I had a particularly high force beast spirit enjoying battle so much that after killing the guards it was supposed to, it just carried on rampaging through the complex for the rest of the run.)

I wonder if there is a prejudice as well. Consider:

Samurai: I drag the guard into the side-room with my hand over his mouth, ram the barrel of my pistol behind his ear and demand to know where the prototype is.
GM: Okay, make an Intimidation roll, and have a few extra dice for circumstance,

Mage: I drag the guard into the side-room with my hand over his mouth and cast mindprobe to try to find out where the prototype is.
GM: Overpowered!

I think the important thing to note is that mindprobing someone is a violent assault. So the players should understand that doing this is a big issue to the victim. Basically, anyone they use mindprobe on is an enemy that they would already be willing to beat the information out of, blackmail and kidnap loved ones, etc. And anyone they wouldn't be willing to do that to, they shouldn't be mindprobing. I.e. just because they suspect that the Johnson is doublecrossing them, really doesn't mean that they should resort to mindprobe. With that kept in mind, mindprobe becomes less of an issue. In any circumstances where they can use it, they could probably also do something else.

None of this is to say that it isn't hugely useful or that Control Thoughts is great in combat, etc. But if a mage can get away with that, then they could just as easily get away with Stunbolting the poor bugger to oblivion.
ornot
to add my 2 yen. I personally place restrictions on what a PC can play. I don't like to have more than 1 mage in a group, since they are dead rare. Same goes for adepts. If two PCs want to play mages then they have to be sufficiently different to not step on each others toes.

My biggest problem is with munchkin cyber-adept PCs optimised to a ridiculous level. Experience with these has led me to be suspicious of anyone that wants to play an adept, moreso than with mages or heavily cybered characters (despite it being possible to optimise most of the archetypes).

As for your mage summoning and binding 4 or 5 spirits for every run, ditto what Knasser said. That costs, and the player should still be rolling to summon and resist drain and whatnot. It may be that the mage is going to wind up starting the game with some damage from physical drain, which might discourage him from cavalier conjuring.
DigitEyez
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
But the problem KK has is that her PCs will spend the time to just mindrape the guy until he can't resist anymore and they get the information they need. Then they pop the guy twice in his skull and dissolve him in a vat of acid or some such method to get rid of the body. At least, that's what I think her problem is.

The thing is that there is no 'until' he can't resist any more because they get a cumulative -2 modifier for each additional attempt. If they spend edge on these tests then they will most likely pass them but they only have so much edge to spend and its not certain the guard they are spending it on knows what they need to know.

KK, if you use the Magic Loss rules mentioned on page 31 of Street Magic, you might just convince your mages that they need that edge to make sure they don't have to check for magic loss.

Knasser has a good point. A street sammy can do the same.

Enemy: -4, Disastrous results: -4, +3 Phys Imposing, +2 outnumbering the target, +2 Weapon/Magic,
+2, Caused Phys Harm, +Street Cred, +Notoriety, leading to:

Charisma + Intimidation +1 + Street Cred + Notoriety VS Willpower + Intimidation - Wound modifiers

taking into account a nice beating and some gunshot wounds this would look like this: 3+3+1 +X VS 3 (av willpower) + Y - 2 (stun) - 2 (phys) => 7 + X VS Y - 1. Only one hit needed for the info, no edge.

This looks even worse then the mind-rape scheme unless the guard that has been shot and beaten has a really hight Intimidation skill and the runner is a rooky. Streed Cred will in the long run make this a much more useful way to deal with these kinds of situations then a mind-probe spell. And there's no signature...
Jaid
also, KK, you should note that only *edge* dice are immune to the spell's cap. keep some different coloured dice handy, and count the edge dice separately. spending edge should not mean you get to choose which hits came from edge... so if they roll 5 edge dice + a dicepool of 16, and their normal DP gets 8 hits on a force 5 spell and their edge dice gets another 1, that's only 6 useful hits, not 9.

also remember that rerolling with edge doesn't give you edge dice, it gives you back your normal dice... so if they roll 16 dice and get 6 hits, and spend edge to reroll 10 dice, getting another 3 hits... they'd better be casting a force 9 spell, or they're wasting their edge.
Kyoto Kid
@Jaid: I am aware that the edge dice need to be kept separate in this instance. Just that I have seen some really insane instances of "exploding 6s".

@Garrowolf: You are not being evil at all. Your suggested countermeasures make excellent sense though, in the ID check room, I would just hose em dowon with something like a Gamma-S/DMSO combination then have Security "talk" to them after they wake up (of course any mages are "bagged" and further sedated).

@DigitEyez: I am reluctant to bring Magic Loss back into play since I feel it crocks Adepts more than spellcasters (& I tend to like Adepts).

@Knasser: The player who had the bound spirits also summoned a Spirit of Man to cast and sustain an increase WP spell on the character (an elf with a 7 charisma) for drain purposes before summoning and binding other spirits. On top of this, she had her Street Doc contact available to use First Aid in the event she took any physical drain damage (As I mentioned in my previous post, I have since nerfed this particular loophole by ruling that all drain needs to be healed up with rest). So here I was dealing with a mage who had a 12 Charisma + WP + focus bonus, giving her a hefty DP to roll against drain (I kind of miss the old sorcery pool here, at least then you had to allocate it among both tests as well as your initiative passes). Unfortunately she did also have the cash for materials after a fairly dangerous run the team was involved in (which she almost all but used up). Yes the Adept and Rigger were just as well compensated, but they did not become anywhere near as "unmanageable" as the Mage did.

Related to this, Mage's player would also summon a spirit to cast Increased Charisma on her before going to a meet to always have the upper hand in Negotiations tests. If the character didn't get what she wanted, the player would threaten to turn down the job & convince everyone else's characters to walk out. Result: end of session before it even starts. Not really something I enjoy spending the prep time on to have occur. Yeah, I may have been a glutton for punishment here by giving in, but at the time finding other SR players as well as a place to hold sessions was difficult (the player in question also hosted the game sessions, my apartment is way to small for this so I felt kind of stuck if I wanted to keep gaming).

If anything, it was more a lack of control over the individual player of the Mage, who admittedly was rather forceful and overbearing. In the end he caused several of the new players I had just brought in to the group to quit by his abrasive and domineering nature. It was not a good situation so I'll spare the details, but suffice it to say, I have since "remedied" the situation.

As to my "anti magic" prejudice this has been due much in part to player abuse of loopholes as to my aloofness to magic in general. It has caused me to at times, consider taking extreme and unrealistic measures just to counter such powerful characters, often at the expense of the other team members. Again I have filed away many of the suggestions made here in this thread for avoiding these issues in the future. I have not seen magic in other systems have such an impact as it does in SR, particularly with relation to Mages "right out of the box". In other systems it takes time to work up to be able to cast the really powerful spells. In SR a starting Mage has access to any spell in the book (limited only by the number of spells he can have at chargen and his MA). At first I kind of disliked the new advancement rules that required Karma for both initiation and Increasing MA (then mostly where adepts are concerned, though I am considering a houserule of a flat 20 Karma per PP in their case, you just do not get any of the benefits of initiation and MA is not increased). However, from what I've seen, making Spellcasters a real Karma Sink is a good thing.

@W/DigitEyez: In the comparison of interrogation by intimidation vs. by spell, agreed, the Sammy can achieve the same basic effect but needs to take several actions in order to do so (which are roleplayed out). If the target in unconscious (which was usually the case since the mage in the group would first Stunball the crap out of everyone) the Sammy can't do much except maybe shoot the guards in the head (only insuring nobody would get the information). The Mage on the other hand only has to be in sensory range (Force x Magic in Metres) to cast Mindprobe and need not resort to the tactics the Sammy uses to insure success. Depending on what sense is specified when casting the spell she doesn't even have to be in LOS. The worse thing is according the the RAW, the subject can be knocked out and she can still extract the needed information (I have since nerfed this as well). Take a few IPs to erase the spell signature afterwards and no one is the wiser. Even then, unless the offending Mage has a criminal record on file, the information gained from the signature may not be all that conclusive (provided the firm or installation has a Mage on the payroll with Assensing).

@ornot: I actually have considered what you suggest for building future teams. As I mentioned, the current team for the second run through of my Rhapsody in Shadow campaign only has one Mage (who BTW is run by a player much more into roleplaying than throwing god-awful amounts of dice or his weight around), and one Adept. Apparently the new group of players is much more into a balanced team. Guess I got lucky this time.

I am actually kind of surprised by the response this has stirred up. Again, I am grateful for the suggestions, references, and help.
Jaid
mind probe is a touch range spell. any variations on that spell are variations that *you* have allowed into the game.

and if the player is blowing massive amounts of cash every run, the way to resolve this is to not give them massive amounts of cash every run. every now and then, they may make a lot of money, but if they make 2,000 a run normally (just throwing out random numbers here), and they spend permanently (note that the other two characters probably still have the benefits of their money, whereas the mage's money is gone for good) two or three times that amount per session, that means that it's not gonna take long before the mage is living the street lifestyle... at which point you are, imo, justified in giving them penalties in social situations, restricting what sort of equipment they are able to keep around without it all getting stolen while they sleep, subjecting them to poor sleep due to exposure, diseases, etc.

if they just blew a ton of money on one run, and it's not sustainable, don't worry about it. keep in mind that you could just as easily get a similar result from any player simply by hiring a local gang, or by gradually adding more drones to their collection, or even by hiring another group of runners potentially.
eidolon
QUOTE (Jaid)
mind probe is a touch range spell. any variations on that spell are variations that *you* have allowed into the game.

Unless something has changed in 4th ed, the casting of the spell on the subject is touch range (I believe it's "these spells may be cast on any willing subject, granting them the new sense" or something like that in the 3e book). This means that you can cast the spell on someone else, giving them the ability to mind probe someone. It does not mean that you have to touch the target of the spell (the person you wish to MP). Once cast and in effect, the spell grants a new sense, and therefore falls under the sensory spell range rules.

Granted, I don't have my copy of the 4e rules here to check that against, but I doubt very much that the spell has changed that drastically.
Kyoto Kid
...under the description of Detection spells the range is touch (for initially casting them on yourself or a willing target), however, they all have an effective range of Magic + force in Metres with the exception of the "extended" versions.

Or am I reading this wrong?
ornot
After reading eidolon's post I had a look through the book, and it does, indeed, appear that Mindprobe isn't limited to people you can touch, as I thought it was. Indeed, one can cast it on oneself and wander around mind probing passersby, so long as you sustain it.

Looking at it that way, I'd be inclined to increase the thresholds for information. Anyone care to compare the TNs for this spell in SR3? I seem to recall them being pretty high, but I don't have SR3 on hand.
Moon-Hawk
The way I read it is, the range for bestowing the enhanced sense (in this case, the sense of mindbrobiness) is touch. You must be able to touch the person who will gain the ability to probe minds (which may involve touching yourself). The person who has the new sense (your or the person you touched) can probe minds at a range of Magic + Force meters.
Again, it's subject vs. target.

I think it should be required that you be touching the person's mind that you're probing, but I don't think that's what the book says.
I'm not 100% sure, though.

edit: ornot beat me. I guess I was remembering correctly.
Jaid
hmmm... well, in that case, i guess mindprobe just became a whole lot crazier (edit: to me, that is). iirc, there's no perception chance to notice someone is sustaining a spell, they can now target different people as they choose... that's just downright crazy.

in fact, there isn't even really a chance of spell failure resulting in drain with no benefit, because you're just placing it on a buddy who won't resist (possibly you).

wow... i liked it a lot better when i thought you had to be targetting the person you want to mind probe...
Kyoto Kid
...now you can understand why I loathe this spell so much and why I believe it needs serious nerfing.
Moon-Hawk
Changing the subject from touch to self and changing the range to the target from LOS to touch would be a good start.

I feel like Mind Probe is overpowered, but I don't think it's nearly as overpowered as a lot of other people seem to.
But my players aren't really using it. Why not? I'm not sure. Possibly because we reached a good understanding of what kind of game we all wanted before we started, and making an elite team of brainrapers (while possible) would necessarily take the game in a direction that none of us really want to go. Maybe next campaign.
X-Kalibur
I think KK's mage player needs to get some focus addictions and maybe a geas or two, hehe.
fool
...better roleplay through intimidation...

Yeah, better rople playing if your a sammy who likes to torture people. If your a mage, then casting a spell is more accurate roleplaying.
fool
Just an idea, and this might be a bad one, but:
What if the person being probed had some kind of a roll, just a chance, it doesn't have to be a very good chance, but a chance to read something from the caster's mind. To exploit the link the other way. That might scare people away from using it too often.

while it's kinda a cool idea, the two problems are it's totally a house rule (not really a problem,) and if the mage is using 12 dice versus 3-4 for the character, it's almost never going to happen esp. if the mage has a point or two of edge left.
fool
in fact, there isn't even really a chance of spell failure resulting in drain with no benefit, because you're just placing it on a buddy who won't resist (possibly you).

It's still resisted by the target of the spell. For example, I cast MP on my buddy so he can walk into a bar and scan for a murderer. (He's much tougher than me and its a seedy joint.) I roll my 12 dp (5 skill, 5 magic, 2 focus, fairly normal for a starting mage who wants to be pretty powerful.) I get 4 hits. My buddy walks into the bar and starts scanning people. average will of 3 equals an average of 1 hit means 3 net hits which is conscious thoughts. Now since most people aren't going to be sitting around thinking about the crime they committed a while ago, you're not likely to find your guy. If you start asking people questions, like did you know the victim, then they might flash on it, but You'd have to be probing that person in particular, and they would definitely be having more of a chance to notice the spell effect. And would be better served by thought recognition.
Personally, I don't think that MP is any more overpowered than most of your useful spells. Stun ball will take down your entire group of gueards so you can let the sammy kneecap them. Lightning bolt will usually take out a drone pretty well. Inc. Reflexes makes you as fast as a sammy, decrease charisma will drop your average troll like wet rag. The exception is Mental manipulations which were eliminated from my campaign.
The only real danger is that MP can short circuit certain plot twists, which can happen with legwork if you happen to have just the right contact, or hacking if you happen to have an absolutely kickass hacker, or spirits if you use guidance spirits for their divination power, or if your sammy goes so fast that they can kill everyone in the room before there are any questions asked.
ornot
it's not clear to me how decrease charisma will drop a troll.

Also the problem with MP is not when it's used by an average starting mage, but rather when it's used by an optimised build using edge, and then not just being used to assist questioning in a rough bar, but to extract information from guards at a facility.

I personally don't see it as being hugely overpowerful, especially if the security team are trained to recognise someone rooting around in their thoughts, and particularly sensitive information is not given out to guards.

I was concerned that by RAW it effectively had line of sight range, and that one could use it on multiple targets with only 1 drain resistance test and a sustaining penalty.
eidolon
QUOTE (ornot)
After reading eidolon's post I had a look through the book, and it does, indeed, appear that Mindprobe isn't limited to people you can touch, as I thought it was. Indeed, one can cast it on oneself and wander around mind probing passersby, so long as you sustain it.

Cool, so it didn't change.

It has always been an odd spell with regard to subject, target, who rolls what, etc. For example, in response to your above statement, yes, you could theoretically go around MPing random passerby on one sustained casting, but you would have to roll to succeed against each target's Willpower, although you had successfully "cast" the spell on the subject (yourself). (Or make note of the actual numbers rolled, and compare them to each target's Willpower if you wanted to approach it that way.)

QUOTE (ornot)
Anyone care to compare the TNs for this spell in SR3? I seem to recall them being pretty high, but I don't have SR3 on hand.

No direct book to reference for page numbers, but remember in SR3 it's not the height of the TN, but the number of times you achieve that TN. The TN for a MP is the target's Willpower. It takes x success to gain access to their surface thoughts , x success to gain access to what they consciously know, and x successes to gain access to their subconscious.

So with that in mind, consider that a mage tossing upwards of 12 and 14 dice aren't going to have all that much trouble getting access to the subconscious, especially when you think of 3 as the "average" stat, and mook X has a Willpower of 3 or 4.

QUOTE (Jaid)
iirc, there's no perception chance to notice someone is sustaining a spell, they can now target different people as they choose... that's just downright crazy.

Again, no SR4 knowledge here, really, but the only way you would figure out that someone is sustaining a spell is to check them out astrally, and hope they aren't really good with Masking.

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I feel like Mind Probe is overpowered, but I don't think it's nearly as overpowered as a lot of other people seem to.
But my players aren't really using it. emphasis mine

That pretty much says it all. smile.gif
ornot
I'd have thought there would be modifiers for the target's willpower based on how much depth you wanted, but I don't have an SR3 book handy. I know that when MP got used in an old SR3 game I played, the GM demanded about 6 or 7 successes versus a TN of 8 or something silly.
Wasabi
QUOTE (ornot)
it's not clear to me how decrease charisma will drop a troll.

If the Charisma of a target is dropped to 0 they drool, stare, and become unable to act/react.
ornot
Really? Where is that stated?

I would suggest that you'd been playing with cancer for too long, but that would be uncalled for in its meaness.

And I like to think I'm generally regarded as not-mean.
fool
[QUOTE]I'd have thought there would be modifiers for the target's willpower based on how much depth you wanted, but I don't have an SR3 book handy. I know that when MP got used in an old SR3 game I played, the GM demanded about 6 or 7 successes versus a TN of 8 or something silly. [/QUOTE]
iirc the tn was the targets will, and the number of successes needed was the same as in sr 4 which of course means that in sr 4 it's harder to get the number of needed successes. ( any one remember rolling 20 dice for spells in sr3?)
[QUOTE]Really? Where is that stated?[QUOTE]
iirc, the spell decrease att. states that if an att drops to 0 or below, the character is incapacitated. You can decide if they pass out, stand and drool or make stange faces in the air, but the result is the same, no actions available.
[/QUOTE]I think KK's mage player needs to get some focus addictions and maybe a geas or two, hehe. [QUOTE]
That brings up an interesting question.... when would you impose an addiction on a mage, how many foci would they have to be using? 2? 5? their magic rating? My standard starting mage starts with 2-3 bound foci one of which is virtually always functioning (inc. ref.) And usually they don't ever get anymore foci (it's just too damned expensive karma wise to bind them. OR do you just do it to gimp a character that you either don't like or think they mess up your runs by doing things like casting mind probe?
Fastball
QUOTE (ornot)
Indeed, one can cast it on oneself and wander around mind probing passersby, so long as you sustain it.

This is not true. The spell is limited to one target and one subject. Only the subject must be within touch range. The target must be within the range of the sense (Force x Magic meters) compared to the subject.

QUOTE (RAW)
The spell allows the subject to telepathically probe the mind or a specific target within range of the sense (chosen when the spell is cast). p. (199)

The question is what must be "chosen when the spell is cast" -- the sense, the range, or the specific target?

1. Since detection spells provide a "new sense" (p. 197), there is no option to choose, the spell provides the mindprobe sense.

2. Since detection spells "may be learned with an extended range instead ," (p. 198) there is no range to be chosen. It is either standard or extended, which depends on the version of the spell learned and cannot be altered when cast.

3. The only thing left is "specific target," which must be chosen when the spell is cast. Further, that "specifice target" must be "within range of the [mindprobe] sense;" which means you won't be able to cast the spell outside the bar and sustain it when you walk in.

One subject, one target, one Complex Action/piece of information.
Fastball
QUOTE (ornot)
Really? Where is that stated?

I would suggest that you'd been playing with cancer for too long, but that would be uncalled for in its meaness.

And I like to think I'm generally regarded as not-mean.

Decrease [Attribute] spell (p. 200)

If a Physical attribute is reduced to 0, the victim is incapicated or paralyzed. If a Mental attribute is reduced to 0, the victim stands about mindlessly confused.
eidolon
QUOTE (ornot)
I'd have thought there would be modifiers for the target's willpower based on how much depth you wanted, but I don't have an SR3 book handy. I know that when MP got used in an old SR3 game I played, the GM demanded about 6 or 7 successes versus a TN of 8 or something silly.

I would then say that you were witness to a fairly heavy-handed reigning in of the spell in which you weren't given reasoning or information. Either that, or there was some background count and some other stuff going on that we don't know about.

QUOTE (fool)
iirc the tn was the targets will, and the number of successes needed was the same as in sr 4 which of course means that in sr 4 it's harder to get the number of needed successes. ( any one remember rolling 20 dice for spells in sr3?)

CODE

Successes    Level of information accessible
1-2              subject can read the target's surface thoughts
3-4              subject can find out anything the target consciously knows, and view the
                  target's memories
5+               subject can probe the target's subconscious, gaining information the target
                  may not even be consciously aware of such as psychological quirks, deep
                  fears or hidden memories

Anyone still need examples of why it's so easy for munchy players to try and abuse this spell? Between the wordings here, the wording of the spell, information that gets remembered from fluff and other editions, etc, it gets really old, really fast if a member of your group gets MP happy.

As is, I think the spell is much, much too easy to cast at its highest capability and is just too powerful for what it gives you for what comes down to one complex action. YMMV, but I don't play in your games. wink.gif

As an aside, the fact that it very often gets run as a silent "the target can't tell" spell only contributes to the argument that it is in no way comparable to what a sammy, face, or decker has to go through to get the same kind of information. Therefore, I don't give that argument much weight.

Even when the target is aware (if you're running the spell correctly, in other words wink.gif), that argument does nothing to sway me, because when a sammy, face, and to some extent a decker (bad rolls, high tally, etc) is going through the process of obtaining "the same information", the target is quite aware.
fool
in Sr 3 (and I'd be willing bet will be returning with whatever book has the drugs coming out in it,) there were drugs that lowered people's willpower and were billed as truth serums.
Actually, a face, just has to make a phone call to get teh info, and maintenance once in a while (which might actually improve the contacts ratings,) and a hacker doesn't have a tally any longer, and a sammy shooting off fingers and limbs (or kneecapping as mentioned above) only costs the sammy bullets.
Even when the target is aware (if you're running the spell correctly, in other words ), that argument does nothing to sway me, because when a sammy, face, and to some extent a decker (bad rolls, high tally, etc) is going through the process of obtaining "the same information", the target is quite aware.

Actually, when the face is doing leg work (i.e. not directly interviewing the npc) they aren't generally detectable unless you're using the walls have ears. Hackers unless they trip an alarm, are completely undetectable. ANd the sammy intimidating the target into giving up the info, yeah that won't work unless the target knows that they're being intimidated.
I'm not saying that this spell isn't powerful and can undermine a plot to a degree, but no more so than other spells or abilities.
eidolon
Eh. Agree to disagree, then.

(Likely has a lot to do with edition differences, I can't speak to how powerful or not it is in 4.)
fool
yeah, agree to disagree.
another exaple that had come to me was using orgy or any of the other spells that decrease a characters dp (not att.) and then have someodo interogation. You could be nice and use orgy or mean and use agony. Either way, you're going ot get your answers prety easily.
Back in SR 3 we were running brainscan, and one of my mages mp'd the head renraku guy. Basically, they gm said you gett nothing because knowing what was really happening (i.e. that he was going to majorly screw us) would have ruined the plot. The GM can always rule that way. Or give as misleading of answers as he wants.
eidolon
As an aside, the mere fact that a spell called "orgy" exists in SR4 makes me wonder if the guys hired out to a team of 13 year olds for writing the magic section. ohplease.gif

edit: And since the person(s) that wrote the magic section may see this, note that I haven't given the section a thorough reading and am not actually commenting on your writing ability. Just your judgment and the fact that writing up spells after watching hentai and drinking a sixer of your favorite libation is probably a bad idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012