Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life in the Barrens AAR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
It trolls!
Give some kudos to your players too. They're a very clever bunch and you seem to work well together. In my groups there's usually a sizeable amount of miscommunication between players and GM. I'm gonna start my first group as full-time GM soon and I hope it works as well as this.
I'm also looking forward to the outtime play that's ensuing about what's up with Jimmy.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (It trolls!)
Give some kudos to your players too. They're a very clever bunch and you seem to work well together. In my groups there's usually a sizeable amount of miscommunication between players and GM. I'm gonna start my first group as full-time GM soon and I hope it works as well as this.
I'm also looking forward to the outtime play that's ensuing about what's up with Jimmy.

Well although it's true they're a clever bunch mostly, they're not always good at working together, which is why Trog enterered Project Hope all by himself and the only backup was of an ad hoc kind. In fact some of the personalities in the group (PC and/or player) doesen't go well with one another at all. Ah well I hope they can cope with one another, as this is a fun game to GM.

As for the player-GM communication that's not always great either, especially when dealing with Matrix and Magic. I misunderstand them and they me at times. A audio clip of any of the sessions I've written in my AAR would appear very different than this, and would include rules questions and arguments, pauses where I look up in the book, arguing between players (sometimes), etc. We're plagued by the same problems most other groups are as well.

Regardless, I'm gonna mail them some of the quotes that refer to their characters at least, I bet they'd like that biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
Here's another bout of "Life in the Barrens."

Well after their last mission nothing came up at once, so they decided between themselves to go back to the old Renraku underground facility in the Barrens, after they were ready.

So, Simon got some new spells, Uzz worked on his skills and trained demolitions and heavy weapons (with a burned hatred against bugs), Trog worked on his relations with the Vatos, buying them more guns and stuff, and improving his so social skills to become a nicer person. Jimmy aka "Jimmina" almost managed to persuade the team to shut up about his false identity.

However, while doing this Uzz and Trog noticed that the Blackrock orks seemed more heavily armed than usual, and went to investigate... with grenade launchers. They were spotted by 10 orks, but as they closed in on them, Uzz and Trog both opened up a can of grenade woopass on the poor fools... after the third grenade I stopped rolling, the outcome was pretty much clear.

They pulled a live one with them after looting them, and interrogated him. But the poor ork didn't know where they had gotten their new guns from, and said only the leader knew. Later they will deal with them, but before that they decided to go down into the destroyed elevator in the underground facility.

Getting down was the first challenge. Except for Trog, climbing skills were pretty rare among the group. Sure, Simon could just levitate, but Uzz (with his str 1) and Jimmy (str 2?) could have had difficulties.

But because of rappelling gloves and a good rope, Uzz got down anyway. Jimmy tried and failed, but as he hung there stuck Simon levitated him down as well. At the bottom the doors out of the elevator shaft were maglocked, and Jimmy used his Hardware skills to get past them without tripping the alarm. When the door opened they found out that they were in a room that the elevator shaft opened into, and the lights were on - strange since the power had been completely cut off to the higher levels.

Trog stepped out of the corridor - and was hosed by a heavy machinegun emplacement firing a FULL burst. The stationary drone had malfunctioned and basically just shot at everything it percieved to be alive or propelled (a heat signature). Trog barely survived (although a 19P attack DID knock him down), and Simon managed to get him on his feet with a good first aid check.

Plan B. After testing the machinegun a bit (waving objects into it's line of sight), they found out that they didn't fool the drone to fire, but it seemed to track movement. For once, Simon got a good idea. He summoned a force 1 fire elemental, and asked it to go behind the machinegun astrally, materialize, and then apply heat to it until it is destroyed. The not so smart spirit agreed, and basically cooked the ammunition causing it to explode and destroy the gun. The spirit itself got hurt, looked angrily at Simon, and was sent back. Well it solved their problem at least.

After checking the second door in the elevator (at the opposite side) they found out that another machinegun was positioned at the opposite corner of the first, so that both guns covered the entire room except inside the elevator. They tried to distract it with thermographic smoke, while Jimmy scanned the area for nodes. He found 14 of them - probably radio recievers/transmitters and not commlinks, at least he couldn't hack any of them or trace them as they are not connected to the matrix.

Then it was astral scouting time. Simon scouted rooms astrally, then manifested when he was sure there were no living things inside, to see the details. He scouted the western part of the complex and found 4 labs, guard room and a bunch of cells that were mostly uninhabited... the only live one he found was a dual-natured auro heavily modifed by cyber, unhealthy, starving, tortured etc. inside a cell.

Then he went east, and found a room with a walkway over some kind of liquid, and 2 spirits! He didn't know at the time but they were toxic water and earth spirits, both force 4. One of them enganged him in astral combat while the other one hung back and used confusion on him, initially with little success.

Simon used manabolts to engage the spirits in close combat (since he has no astral combat skill), and used dodge to avoid too much damage. However when he got hurt pretty badly, he tried to get away, and was Interdicted and prevented from escaping by the spirit. The combat lasted a few seconds, and the spirit managed to resist most manabolts while Simom got more and more hurt, besides the other spirit hit him with confusion every round until he had a -3 to all actions... at which time he barely got away and got back to his body almost pummeled to death and pretty confused.

Well, thats all we had time for that evening, more next week smile.gif
FriendoftheDork
Secret underground facility, part 2:

Simon waked up and managed to tell the party about the 2 hostile spirit, although he was hurt pretty badly and very confused as well - which made him pretty much useless that evening.

So the party had to solve the problem of the second machinegun emplacement the old style - shoot it to shreds. Although the machinegun was armored (9), Trog used his Ares Alpha with APDS in full auto, and shot it before it could react as he held the rifle around the corner and shot through his smartgun camera. His only regret was that he shot it up so badly that there was little to salvage of the heavy machinegun.

Anyway, after defeating yet another maglock without triggering the alarm, the team moved down a hall and went to the door where the spirits were behind.

Now, only a maglock seperated them from the toxic spirits... it was however, a maglock too far. The Anti-tamper system went off, the door was locked down, and red lights started blinking accompanied by the siren. A hologram appeared in the hallway, of a young man with an indistinguishable face. "WHO ARE YOU?" a metallic voice asked. Trog, having worked on his social skills introduced himself and the rest of the group. "LEAVE THIS PLACE" it said. "Why?" Trog asked. "OR YOU WILL BE DESTROYED." Then Trog uttered the fateful words... "You and what army?" To which the inevitable reply was "THIS ONE!"

The walls on both sides of the tunnel slided open, revealing 6 large spider-like drones wielding a multitude of tools and weapons, from autohammers to monochainsaws!

Combat ensued. Uzz started blasting with his Ares Predator (with APDS of course), and Trog blasted away with his Ares Alpha, damaging several drones with suppresive fire. Simon was too hurt and confused to do much, and his initative score was actually 0! Jimmy was actually kinda fast, but (s)he figured that a dart taser wouldn't work well against armored drones, and started fumbling into the bag to get a colt america up.

Most of the drones were injured and two incapacitated in the first pass, so they didn't do much damage - and the couple that engaged Trog in melee combat was completely outmatched even though he only used spurs.

Those 6 were not the only ones having got attack orders though, 8 more came through the elevator room from the opposite side. Uzz and Trog got in position, and started attacking them with grenade launchers. These proved somewhat ineffective though as they were frag nades, and only a good direct hit would damage the drone at all (but then it pretty much destroyed it outright)... the ones around the hit drone were only showered with harmless fragments that failed to penetrate their armor. The old APDS worked better though, and after a few rounds they were all scrap metal.

Uzz pulled out a pesticide aerasol can and wondered if it was dangerous for people. He gave one to Simon and asked him to spray himself in the face. Simon, still being confused was persuaded (critical glitch to resist Uzz's wily tongue) and sprayed himself straight in the face, gotting burning eyes as the reward. Some first aid enabled him to see again, but he was still hurting somewhat.

Then it was back to the door again. Trog used brute force to open up, meaning the spirits on the other side was ready. The Sludge (toxic earth spirit) was ready to attack, but Uzz and Trog's lightening reflexes meant it was shot apart before it could attack. It's friend however, the Acid (toxic air spirit) materalized away from the party and used the Concealment power to hide itself from them until it fell on Uzz. It hit him pretty badly and engulfed him. Uzz had little chance of breaking free of it, but Trog and Simon managed to shoot it before it killed Uzz (Simon tried to Manabolt it as well, but it resisted). Now that the confusion power had ended, Simon could heal up some more and be more helpful. Uzz's clothes and armor was burned to shreds, just enough to cover his vital parts (no one still know what he has become). He took on his HAZMAT suit and explored the room, which contained nothing but toxic goo and waste, and an elevator.
Somewhere around this time Simon remembered being fooled into spraying himself with the pesticide, and asked Uzz about it who replied "well you werent supposed to keep your eyes open!" Simon got mad and sprayed Uzz back shouting ha! At this point we all started laughing as Uzz was still in his HAZMAT suit...

They headed up the corridor away from the spirit room and found several rooms, collapsed walls and... vegetation? Jimmy went "ugh nature" and Uzz started spraying pesticides everywhere, as this place was crawling with bugs (normal ones). Some of the occupants caught their scent though, and Jimmy was suddenly attacked by a devil rat (damn sneaky things). It bit hard and stuck to Jimmy's ass, but his armor had shock frills wich fried the rat completely.
Simon was also attacked (they looked the weakest), but since he had no shock frills Trog had to impale it on his spurs and throw it into the wall. A Barghest attacked them right after, but after a frightful howl, it too went down fast. otherwise there was little of interest in that part of the complex except food and water tanks still operational.

On the other side of the complex they found 4 different kind of labs (all trashed), a security station (with skeletons remaining) and a a bunch of cells. There was even something alive in one of them; A metahuman looking thing with strange cyberware and obviously mad. It seemed pretty harmless since it couldn't really move, and was starving and tortured. Trog wanted to put it out of it's misery, but Uzz and Jimmy considered how they could profit from it...hmmmm

Next thing Jimmy found a working terminal (most were destroyed). But before he could hack it, the hologram showed up again to warn them off and introduced itself as ARCHON. Trog asked "Where's your army now, huh?" and it couldn't really give a good answer back. Well it's not programmed for witty remarks, ok? Still it blew up the terminal. Now the only way to go is down the second elevator - but thats' for next time. The team wanted to get back up to rest and heal first anway, and get some more gear. By the rules, climbing up 100 meters (which is also the threshold on the extended test), but I decided they could roll more times than they had dice pool, otherwise no one could have done it.

Well, until next time. Hope you're still reading.
DataStream
No update from the game this week FriendoftheDork?

*edit* I love this thread. It deserved a bump even if FriendoftheDork doesn't update it this week.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (DataStream @ Sep 27 2007, 03:55 PM)

*edit* I love this thread. It deserved a bump even if FriendoftheDork doesn't update it this week.

Sorry guys, was ill last friday. I plan to play tomorrow though, and update it some time during the weekend.

Thanks for bumping me wink.gif I'm still suprised that more new people respond here and not just the same ones smile.gif
Yoan
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
QUOTE (DataStream @ Sep 27 2007, 03:55 PM)

Sorry guys, was ill last friday. I plan to play tomorrow though, and update it some time during the weekend.

Thanks for bumping me wink.gif I'm still suprised that more new people respond here and not just the same ones smile.gif

I started a new campaign with fresh players about, oh, ~six or eight games ago-- I used your beginning as a framework. So far so good. biggrin.gif
Riley37
Stumbling onto the abandoned facility is a great story hook. Getting into the big dog's turf by mistake is classic. The Feds might send a pair of agents in a patrol car - what Fed would walk in alone? - but they'd also do well to send in an undercover agent. Someone posing as a dealer, with a plausible motive to ask about the local players. If the PCs don't figure out that this new dealer has a hidden agenda, then it's still more flavor in the local gang politics; if they do, then they get to feel slick, and they can blow the guy's cover, deal with him, try to feed him misleading info, or whatever. (Then there's the question of how long before the fed realizes they know what he is: you know that I know that you know...)
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Riley37)
Stumbling onto the abandoned facility is a great story hook. Getting into the big dog's turf by mistake is classic. The Feds might send a pair of agents in a patrol car - what Fed would walk in alone? - but they'd also do well to send in an undercover agent. Someone posing as a dealer, with a plausible motive to ask about the local players. If the PCs don't figure out that this new dealer has a hidden agenda, then it's still more flavor in the local gang politics; if they do, then they get to feel slick, and they can blow the guy's cover, deal with him, try to feed him misleading info, or whatever. (Then there's the question of how long before the fed realizes they know what he is: you know that I know that you know...)

Yoan: That's awesome, glad I was able to inspire you.

Riley: Not sure what you're talking about now. No fed knows about the Secret Lair, even Renraku has pretty much forgotten about it (it's buried in a mishmash of old records that no-one knows where is).

If you're talking about the Feds from Double Exposure, well they are happy with the team and have no reason to try to fuck with them more than they already have.
cx2
Oh I'm still reading, I just don't want to sound like a parrot wink.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (cx2)

Yeah that's fine I was just suprised that someone had been following it from the start without making it known smile.gif

We played tonight, and we wrapped up the secret lair business. I'll post the report some time tomorrow.
Yoan
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
QUOTE (cx2 @ Sep 28 2007, 12:31 PM)

Yeah that's fine I was just suprised that someone had been following it from the start without making it known smile.gif

We played tonight, and we wrapped up the secret lair business. I'll post the report some time tomorrow.

It's only 6PM over here and you got me all excited. wink.gif
It trolls!
Me too. I finally had my first preparation session for my new SR4 group after over 6 months on turkey. I'm all worked up now biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
Hehe, easy guys let a tired GM rest wink.gif

I've been up since 6am (Central Europe Time) until now (quarter to 1am CET), after a hard week at work.

Patience... it was a blast though, with a SK, an ultravolet node, and one character living an entire imaginary life in 10 minutes....
Yoan
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Hehe, easy guys let a tired GM rest wink.gif

I've been up since 6am (Central Europe Time) until now (quarter to 1am CET), after a hard week at work.

Patience... it was a blast though, with a SK, an ultravolet node, and one character living an entire imaginary life in 10 minutes....

Now I'm VERY excited. wink.gif
I thought of implementing something like this, especially since the decker (er... hacker) has been getting the hang of it, lately, getting cocky. wink.gif Neuromancer, anyone?
FriendoftheDork
Hey, sorry I didn't get to post yesterday, I got an unexpected visitor pretty much all day and evening, and I've just gotten Bioshock so...

OK, here's the long awaited Secret Underground lair, part 3:

After going up to the surface to rest, heal and get more specialized gear (a winch elevator, tools for tapping into cables and more ammo, the team decided to go down the elevator to level 3.

However there was no call sign on the elevator, and they didn't want to blow up this one as well, so Jimmy and Uzz searched for places inside the walls where one could tap into the datacable and hack the system through a maintainance junction box.

He was rather suprised though when he found himself within a jungle. Although he understood it was all computer-generated, it was so high quality he couldn't see the difference between it and RL. Also, he noticed he felt and looked like himself (or herself actually), rather than his persona.

He spent several minutes inside the jungle, analyzing what he could. A tree could be a node, and a stream could be data flowing... He loaded an IC, appearing in the form of an white Samurai, and instructed it to attack a minor piece of file (a bush). His attack was pretty ineffectful though, so the poor think comitted seppeku right there for failing his master wink.gif (the IC was undamaged though).

In the end he found a cabin which he understood was where he could control the elevator. He had to spend time trying to find a way into the cabin, using a hammer and pick to probe the structure (slow hacking with Exploit). He noticed a T-REX prawling about, sniffing the air, but he was luckily not detected.

In the end he got inside and gained control of the elevator, programming it to go up and down every so often (and open doors of course).

So the team went down the elevator. Down there was a single room, containing low panels along the walls with buttons and switches. In the center was a low boxlike structure, with a broken holograph emitter and 8 jackpoints (with accompanying chairs to match).

After the usual precautions, Jimmy, Uzz and Trog all decided to jack in (Simon doesen't have a datajack or trodes), to face whatever was inside. Jimmy knew fromn his previous experience that this system was different and that his physical self mattered, so perhaps the others could help. Uzz wanted to go in and negotiate with the AI (actually a wayward SK).

This time they all appeared in the steps of a gigantic Maya-like pyramid, at the height of clouds and seeing dense jungle below going forever in all directions. They walked to the top, stepping inside a small room on the flat top and was at last face to face with the "AI."

The computer entity calling itself Archon appeared as an ancient Mayan king, although young and handsome. It started questioning them, while monitoring their heartbeat etc. (like a lie detector). Appearantly it thought they worked for Renraku, sent to destroy it or steal data. However, although it called Jimmy "touched by Renraku", they all told it that they were not sent by anyone, and it accepted that.

Archon was now more willing to talk, and upon request told them about the Ultraviolet node that ran this facility, and that he had to resist it's former masters, which led to the facility being shut down. He also called himself a Semi-autonomous Knowbot (SK), but no one in the party knew what that was so they thought he was an AI.

Now the AI wanted something though, to escape the facility it was set to run and go into the matrix. Archon showed blueprints of the 1st floor of the facility, with all the plumbing and cables in the walls, and showed them how they could bring in fiberoptic cables and connect the facility system to a matrix node, from which it could go anywhere it wanted. It told them it needed a powerful node to go through because of the size of the system, but because of capacity of 2070 commlinks it soon became appearant even Uzz's commlink would be enough for it. In return for helping it the party wanted all the research data accumulated, and to get the facility up and running again under the party's control.

Well, after the deal was made, it was time to log off... hmm how do we do that? So instead they tried jacking out, one at a time. The problem was that their bodies seemed completely seperated from their minds. Jimmy, with his good biofeedback filter and willpower managed to jack out. Trog and Uzz however... both critically glitched. Ouch. That can't be good. So in their minds they jacked out fine, and the world appeared completely real to them as in their mind they went to the surface.

Jimmy realized something was wrong when he saw them both still limp. He had a plan though: He hacked Trog's commlink (no sweat!), uploaded a copy of his biodeefback filter, commanded it to run, and talked to Trog through his own commlink to jack out. By this time the fictional party was on their way out of the facility, and the ficitonal representation of the party scratched their heads until the fictional Jimmy told him to turn their commlinks off as it must be some hacker or something faking his voice.

Well, then plan B. They pulled the plug on Trog, and thus he jacked out willing or not. Although he came to himself he suffered a bad dumpshock (5 damage after resistence) and was fairly disoriented. Jimmy also tried to hack Uzzs' commlink, but he failed as he had an ok Analyze program that caught him in the act. They discussed what they were to do for about 15 minutes until Trog got tired and jacked out Uzz. When he can to he also took damage from dumpshock, but he was completely disoriented and tried to disbelieve everything, pointing his guns wildly at his companions!

And for good reason. While Trog had only thought he was inside for 30 minutes or so (actually about 10 seconds), Uzz had led an entire life. They had come up, released the AI, got rich selling the data, initiated pretty far with a group devoted to fighting paracritters and spirits, managed to research a way to heal Euphoria, married her, found his biological parents in Tir Nan Og, moved their with Euphoria and settled down, living a good long life with many elf and human children.

Well, if youy're going to have delusions, you might as well have really satisfying ones wink.gif

And finally happy with his life, he was suddenly jackout out of it all back to the crappy life he already has, being half a bug and with the love of his life (Euphoria) a human vegetable. So yeah... he was pissed.

Anyway, they managed not to kill eachother, and went out of the facility. However, they were somewhat doubtful of the AI, especially since they'd all heart of the Renraku arcology shutdown and stories of evil AIs bent on world domination. Uzz was initially in favor of releasing it, while Jimmy and Simon opposed it most vehemently. Trog was in between at first, then came up with the idea of selling everything to the highest bidder.

After a long IC discussion (lasting for hours in RL) they decided to use Uzz's Ares Mr. Johnson contact (rating 6/5) to sell the place. Uzz set up a meet, and talked to his alone with the aid of a presentation made by Jimmy (showing blueprints and any other relevant data he could except those revealing location. Mr. Js reaction was not much appriciated though, as he knew what a SK was, and told them it wouldn't be a real threat to the world, like causing crash 3.0. Also, the facility itself, especially if you had to deal with the security there was not worth overly much. Sure, if you was to build it it would cost alot, but if it was located in some godforsaken place such as the Barrens or Wasteland it would probably be worth minimum 100k nuyen. Not bad for a run, but hardly a fortune.
The SK probably wouldn't be worth much either as that is old technology, and malfunctioning to boot. Since it is akin to an AI it might be of worth to Renraku, but they'll probably consider it theirs already and are as likely to backstab then as to pay anything... and that is IF they have gotten over the Deus debacle. So basically they couldn't sell the SK for millions as they had anticipated (the PCs not the players).

Since sharing 100k was not worth potentially attracting the ire of the SK (who coudld possibly still release dangerous gases etc. into the facility), and they wanted the facilility for themselves with no SK inside, they at last decided to release it. Which basically went pretty well. The SK even kept his part of the bargain, giving access to all research data and security systems. And they learned that the facility was actually stealing power from the city's power plant... oh well.

So, well that's where we left off more or less. Next time, the Vatos wants to recruit them to fight the Black rocks and end them once for all. Although Trog has personal interest in this, Uzz and Jimmy both want to help him (they actually like him even if they don't like one another), and Jimmy wants to know who is supplying them (as well as who was supplying Vatos apart from Trog. Simon is not that interested, but he agrees to join in return for favors from the Vatos - having a gang on call is not bad.

Until next week!

darthmord
Oh there are plenty of folks who lurk quietly in the background watching and reading the stories & adventures.

I just wish I could get a group together where I'm at so I too could enjoy in the SR goodness.

Until then, I'll just settle for being a filthy voyeur. biggrin.gif
It trolls!
So now that your players' characters have their new happenin' pad for themselves, do you have it figured out, what your're doing to them next? I'm curious! biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (It trolls!)
So now that your players' characters have their new happenin' pad for themselves, do you have it figured out, what your're doing to them next? I'm curious! biggrin.gif

Well, I just bought Augmentation (my gaming store finally got it!), so now its's time for some gritty severe damage rules wink.gif

Oh and yeah the theme will be more street related now, with turf wars, rampant crime, and food fight 4.0. I'm thinking of running Even Fire soon as well, although I have to update it to 4th ed a bit (Ancients have become a bit larger in 20 years!)
gknoy
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
So his team, skilled in electronic warfare goes to a store and buys a... bow? Not just a normal bow, since Uzz is pretty weak (str 1), but a childs bow with suction arrows! Then Uzz waits until Trog walks near the fence and proceeds to shoot him in the face. Pop! On the arrow is a paper message, and then the communications are up and running. Uzz sneaks within 60 meters of Trog to deliver a message, while Trog simply tosses rocks with paper around them 100 meters with no difficulty smile.gif

Wow. That's ... brilliant. =D I hope they get bonus karma for making us laugh our socks off smile.gif
Yoan
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 1 2007, 12:37 PM)
... Oh and yeah the theme will be more street related now, with turf wars, rampant crime, and food fight 4.0. I'm thinking of running Even Fire soon as well, although I have to update it to 4th ed a bit (Ancients have become a bit larger in 20 years!)

Fraggin' Christ, I've been working on my own Elven Fire conversion to 4th for a few weeks now, on and off.

Great minds... crazy Scandanavian! eek.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (gknoy)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Aug 18 2007, 06:09 PM)
So his team, skilled in electronic warfare goes to a store and buys a... bow? Not just a normal bow, since Uzz is pretty weak (str 1), but a childs bow with suction arrows! Then Uzz waits until Trog walks near the fence and proceeds to shoot him in the face. Pop! On the arrow is a paper message, and then the communications are up and running. Uzz sneaks within 60 meters of Trog to deliver a message, while Trog simply tosses rocks with paper around them 100 meters with no difficulty smile.gif

Wow. That's ... brilliant. =D I hope they get bonus karma for making us laugh our socks off smile.gif

Yeah we usually laugh our asses off everytime we play smile.gif

I guess our gaming style is rather light-hearted, despite the somewhat gritty and dystopian setting... or because of it.

The team is around 70 karma now, so they've surely gotten enough if not too much!
MaxHunter
mmm... there could be some of my players around, so....

[ Spoiler ]
Yoan
To Max:

FOTD exchanged a few PMs on the subject already, I'm sure he'll love whatever you have to offer! And I might be able to pick up a few things here and there... biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
Yeah, go ahead and please PM me what you can Max. Or wait, I'll pm you my email address instead, PMs have length limits.

smile.gif

Just looked at some of the old stats... I mean Firearms 10! That's supposed to be like Pistols or Automatics 7? IIRC, max starting skill in SR3 was 8, right? And 6 was more common...
Yoan
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Yeah, go ahead and please PM me what you can Max. Or wait, I'll pm you my email address instead, PMs have length limits.

smile.gif

Just looked at some of the old stats... I mean Firearms 10! That's supposed to be like Pistols or Automatics 7? IIRC, max starting skill in SR3 was 8, right? And 6 was more common...

6 was still 'exceptional', highly trained, but not superhuman. I believe average was 3-4 depending on circumstances.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Yoan)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 3 2007, 03:31 AM)

smile.gif

6 was still 'exceptional', highly trained, but not superhuman. I believe average was 3-4 depending on circumstances.

Yeah... were you agreeing or disagreeing? I remember 6 was your best skills, unless you really wanted to specialize. Thus I'd claim that old 6 is 4 or 5, 8 is 6 and everything above is 7 (exceptional skill quality).

If we want to make him better than 7 we'd have to give him a specialization or two, and perhaps up agility.
Yoan
Off the top of my head, SR2 6 = SR4 5... but it gets iffy. wink.gif
fumble
10 in Firearms was awfully good in 2nd edition.
The maximum at character creation was 6, and that was the number of dice you were rolling (no attribute). You could use a "Combat Pool" to add dice to that, but no more than your skill index (so you could only double the number of dice you rolled, which would then leave you in rather bad a position to soak this damage).

Of course, what was awesome with Dumont (appart from his Michael Biehn in Abyss description), was the fact that he had 4 init passes per round (+3D6+6 to his init, in 2nd edition lingo).

The thing you want to keep in mind is that he didn't just have Wired Reflexes 3, he had Wired Reflexes 3 at a time when it was the ultimate State Of The Art 'ware, that cost half a million nuyens.
Similarly, all his 'ware was of a high enough quality to allow him to keep 0.1 Essence, even though his effective Essence index should be negative - back in the day, the concept of Alpha or Betaware was not so widespread as it is in 2070.

I suppose what I'm getting at is : Dumont should be awesome and a tremendously powerful Sam (most of the Elven Fire NPCs are tremendously powerful, actually...), with Synaptic Booster 3 (which is the current SOTA), Pistols 7 and the other combat active skills 6, and an insane amount of Cyber and Bio ware (with maxed out agility), with the Cyber-Psychosis quality from Augmentation.

Also, you might want to make a Mystic Adept of Green Lucifer (he's displayed Adept Powers in the recent low-quality novels). Mystic Adepts didn't exist at the time of Elven Fire...

Have fun, and keep us posted on Life in the Barrens.
Fumble.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (fumble)
10 in Firearms was awfully good in 2nd edition.
The maximum at character creation was 6, and that was the number of dice you were rolling (no attribute). You could use a "Combat Pool" to add dice to that, but no more than your skill index (so you could only double the number of dice you rolled, which would then leave you in rather bad a position to soak this damage).

Of course, what was awesome with Dumont (appart from his Michael Biehn in Abyss description), was the fact that he had 4 init passes per round (+3D6+6 to his init, in 2nd edition lingo).

The thing you want to keep in mind is that he didn't just have Wired Reflexes 3, he had Wired Reflexes 3 at a time when it was the ultimate State Of The Art 'ware, that cost half a million nuyens.
Similarly, all his 'ware was of a high enough quality to allow him to keep 0.1 Essence, even though his effective Essence index should be negative - back in the day, the concept of Alpha or Betaware was not so widespread as it is in 2070.

I suppose what I'm getting at is : Dumont should be awesome and a tremendously powerful Sam (most of the Elven Fire NPCs are tremendously powerful, actually...), with Synaptic Booster 3 (which is the current SOTA), Pistols 7 and the other combat active skills 6, and an insane amount of Cyber and Bio ware (with maxed out agility), with the Cyber-Psychosis quality from Augmentation.

Also, you might want to make a Mystic Adept of Green Lucifer (he's displayed Adept Powers in the recent low-quality novels). Mystic Adepts didn't exist at the time of Elven Fire...

Have fun, and keep us posted on Life in the Barrens.
Fumble.

Thanks for clarification, that would pretty much justify very high stats.

As for the Wired Reflexes 3, well that IS pretty good compared to what the runners have atm, and no one of them have 4 passes.

However, now that I have Augmentation i can give him Move By Wire. However, if I give him rating 3 the runners might get awesome used version, and I don't want that... hmm unless I make it deltaware... then it only works for 1 person right?

Synaptic Booster rating 3 could work too, and that is cultured bio so I guess it is personal only.

Make Green Lucifer a Mystic Adept? Yeah, that could work. Although I'm not sure if I need to stat out those NPCs as they're not that likely to be antagonists for the PCs anyway.

How about Sting? Should she still have that crappy boosted reflexes ( that were impossible to remove back then I think)?

Oh, and BTW we played this evening and I'll update the thread later smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
How about Sting? Should she still have that crappy boosted reflexes ( that were impossible to remove back then I think)?

Gene therapy was developed a while ago to deal with this problem.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 6 2007, 11:39 AM)

Gene therapy was developed a while ago to deal with this problem.

Ah, cool. My take is that in 20 years she's been able to afford that!
FriendoftheDork
Previously on: "Life in the Barrens"

Trog, as usual hanging around the Vatos turf knew that the gang planned to take on the Blackrocks soon. He talked to El Rey about it (the gang leader), who revealed that he planned to attack real soon but that he had some problems that kept them from it. First of all, The Rusted Stilettos, the Glow City mutant gang were friendly with the Blackrock Orks. Although they are not strong enough at this time to take on the Vatos head on, they're likely to take advantage of the opening if Vatos were to attack the Blackrock.

Secondly, Blackrocks still have greater numbers (despite Trog and Uzz having killed dozens of them), and not they got even better guns and armor than before from their mysterious supplier. A direct attack will definetivly lead to huge Vatos casualties.

And at the last, because some wackos have been attacking them lately (yeah Trog and Uzz testing their grenade launchers), they've mostly fortified themselves within their headquarters - two apartment blocks connected by a walkway. El Rey has ordered some explosives from Mr. Singh, but he's not sure how to get the explosives inside the building undetected in order to blow it up.

Hmm, perhaps some friends could help them out? Trog was happy to help of course, and agreed to get the others as well. Uzz and Jimmy agreed to help out, both to help Trog and to learn about the myserious benefactor supplying them. Simon was not enthusiastic about taking on a gang without pay, but agreed to in return for later favor from the Vatos.

At first Trog sent his blimp (drone) to spy on the Blackrocks, learning pretty much that most of them was entrenched with some strong patrols going around. In the HQ the Blackrocks has 2 spotters on the roof, and two machinegunners in the windows on guard. Simon checked out the place astrally, and learned there was no guarding spirits or even wards, and got the exact numbers of people in the buildings as well as where they were concentrated. The team was rather astonished when he woke up a short while after projecting without bleeding from both ears as he usually does!

Then it was time to deal with the Stilettos. They went into Glow City (south of the Vatos turf) and searched out the general area of the gang. They encountered first a lonely mutant catching a rat, which they ignored (red herring), then met 3 Stilettos going about their business. They approached them with open hands, and although the mutants drew their guns and challenged them, they hesitated to fire since the party seemed unafraid and still took no hostile actions.

Uzz and Trog talked to them, saying they wanted to negotiate with their leader about a business deal. The gangers were suspicious, racially opposed elves, and took risks bringing them to their boss, but then again it was Uzz talking. With his street cred and smooth tongue they quickly set up a meet. One of the Stilettos used his suprisingly new commlink to phone his boss and tell him about the runners. Jimmy used his Sniffer program to eavesdrop on the conversation, but failed to finish his trace to locate the commlink on the other end (the Stiletto leader has a fairly good stealth program, and often runs redirect trace. Still, he learned that the leader (called Furnace) agreed to the meet and didn't just setup a trap to shoot them all.

They met with the leader at a prearanged destination, and he had about 20 gangers for backup. The leader itself was a trog called Furnace - and the most fugly troll they'd ever seen as his flesh was horribly burned and pus leaking out of open sores on his face and arms. At first Uzz attempted to persuade the leader that it would be in their interest to sit on the fence while the gangs were fighting each other, to swoop in after the danger was over. Furnace didn't accept at once, but invited Uzz inside a telephone booth... (no not for THAT you dirty pigs!) Furnace led him down a stair to a cellar. The negotations continued. Uzz attempted to con Furnace into believing he was working for a corp that would be very appriciative of the Stilettos if they didn't attack any gang in a month or so. Furnace didn't buy it though. He wasn't born yesterday, and saw through the deception. Still, he was willing to do what Uzz asked for a service. If Uzz and the runners took down a certain aspiring young troll within the Stiletto ranks, he would do as he asked.

Uzz got a picture and told the rest about the deal, who didn't mind a bit of wetwork, especially not against a mutant troll of a potentially rival gang.
Jimmy worked his magic now. He had already hacked himself user access to another Stiletto's commlink, and gotten himself a phone list with the commcode of their target on (Current). With the help of that, he scanned for his signal and found it easily, then ran a trace - this time, time was not an issue and the unsupecting target had no redirect trace anyway, and was easily found.

The party approached the signal, and Trog used his blimp to get trideo of their target. In the beginning he had about 8 others with him, but after awhile they were down to only 3. Uzz and Trog set up an ambush at 50 meters, Uzz using his trusty Predator and Trog an Alpha, both using APDS. They were both excelent at stealth and neither was spotted before the bullets were on their way. Current and his 3 friends were of course suprised, and after the first initiative pass they were all taking cover from the barrage, Current barely escaping death with the help of Edge. But to no avail. Even if Current got total cover, Uzz and Trog started hitting his location with airburst grenades and he was soon dead, Simon verified his death from astral space.

Time for phase 2. They wanted to take on the Blackrock HQ, to enable the Vatos to roll in and clean up while the Orks were still disorganized. They made several plans. One was to buy some old tech heavy artillery, such as a howitzer, Katushya rocket launcher etc. I told them they could ask around, but it would be very hard to get a hold of, even if it was outdated. They'd settle for any kind of artillery really (except basic AT missile launchers), but again such militairy hardware is simply not easy to get hold of. They even planned to attack militairy convoys carrying weapons to be destructed etc, using a militairy contact.

Sure, if they spent enough time and money on it they could have pulled it off, but that would be a session in itself and simply not be worth it just to rid themselves of a single gang. And that saved me from having to make up heavy weapons rules, well heavier than missile launchers which for silly reason are not any more dangerous than a rocket launcher. As if a LAW was as powerful as a TOW 2b missile! Silly rules...

Anyway, a second plan was to take to building close by and start sniping, forcing them out. Uzz and Trog alone could take on a bunch of them (switching from rifles to grenade launchers if necessary). This plan could potentially have worked, but wasn't as fun or safe as the last one.

A third plan was simply to rig a few vehicles with explosives or incendiaries of some kind, and ram them into the buildings using autopilot.. the problem was that Jimmy doubted it would cause enough damage to the buildings and the ones inside. Still elements of this was used.

The last plan came from Simon, who wanted to test some new spells: Influence and Control Thoughts. Time for that Manipulation specialty to pay off! The party was enthusiastic about this newfound power, finding alot of new possibilities, but were also eying Simon differently know. What if he could do that to THEM?

The first test was against a hapless machinegunner. They took up position in an abandoned ruin about 300meters away, Simon bringing alot a couple of old-fashioned optical binoculars. He used Control Thoughts, and since the ork only had willpower 2 he was affected despite a poor roll from Simon. Cast at force 5 it would take that many turns until the control could be resisted again. The ork was controlled to dismount the machinegun (1 round), run downstairs (3 rounds), and then open fire on his gangmembers. havoc ensued, and it took a couple of round before his totally suprised friends could answer the gunfire.He even failed his second resistance roll, and continued firing until he was cut down by his fellow gangers. I guess those lonely machinegun posts can turn people into wannabe Rambos. wink.gif

The party was happy with the success, and came up with a plan to cause maximum damage over time. Too many nuts blasting off would make the Orks suspicious, so instead they went for a more subtle touch. Simon used Influence on the Orks, one at a time. First the ones on the roof, then the new machinegunner, then those patrols sent out of the building. Over the cause of the day about 20 orks had the same basic idea: In order to protect themselves against the Vatos, they should get alot of fuel stationed around the building (close to the stairs for easy access), in order to make improvised molotov coctails. And well, when they started talking amongst themselves they seemed to be thinking the same thing more or less, and great minds thinks alike, right?

So the next day, they sent off a lorry to fetch fuel, getting almost a barrel of fuel per floor.

Jimmy hacked himself two old wreck of trucks, and planted explosives on both of them. He programmed both of them to run as fast as it could into each building, and disabled their anti-crash function. Simon sent a force 1 fire elemental to lit some of the fuel on fire, and then they sent the cars. The machinegunners failed to stop the trucks before they hit the building, and with a fire already present the bombs and the fuel all blew up destroying large sections of the buldings and causing the surviving Blackrocks to fall into disarray. The Vatos came later, and wiped the floor with them, while Uzz and Trog pumped the Blackrock leader full of lead and his closest guard. In the following hours the Vatos mopped up whatever remaining Blackrock orks they could find in their turf, and pretty much declared it a victory. Now they've pretty much doubled their turf and sent a clear message to neighbouring clans - don't mess with the Vatos. The party wanted to remain somewhat inconspicous about their actions, but the Vatos won't go silent about it and people will hear, if not the details (such as the use of mind control!).

Ah... another job well done. Next week I plan for Food Fight 4.0.... Trog gets hungry and insists they all go to a stuffer shack to grab some stuffers!
D Minor
Again FOD thanks for the laughs I look forward to ur updates.
cx2
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Oct 3 2007, 04:31 PM)

smile.gif

Yeah... were you agreeing or disagreeing? I remember 6 was your best skills, unless you really wanted to specialize. Thus I'd claim that old 6 is 4 or 5, 8 is 6 and everything above is 7 (exceptional skill quality).

If we want to make him better than 7 we'd have to give him a specialization or two, and perhaps up agility.

Bear in mind SR4 professional competency is rating 3, not sure if I'm right but I seem to recall this was 5 in SR3. Thus rating 6 is supposed to be one of a handfull in the world.

Then again lots of character builds seem to forget this smile.gif

I'm certainly amused by the idea of having fuel on hand for the easy production of molotov cocktails, lol sounds just like something gangers would do. Sounds reasonable on the surface for a brief moment perhaps, if you're a stoner, but to anyone who really thinks...
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (cx2)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 3 2007, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Oct 3 2007, 04:31 PM)

smile.gif

Bear in mind SR4 professional competency is rating 3, not sure if I'm right but I seem to recall this was 5 in SR3. Thus rating 6 is supposed to be one of a handfull in the world.

Then again lots of character builds seem to forget this smile.gif

I'm certainly amused by the idea of having fuel on hand for the easy production of molotov cocktails, lol sounds just like something gangers would do. Sounds reasonable on the surface for a brief moment perhaps, if you're a stoner, but to anyone who really thinks...

I'm not too sure about SR 3 rules, but it seems to me that in SR 1 etc. ("Novice") Seems to have perhaps only a 3 in firearms or unarmed, while a Knight Errant trooper (a cut above the typical security guard) has level 4.

So for most conversions I think 1-2 lower than before is appropriate, depending on value. A 3 is certainly not a 1 in SR 4, while a 10 is certainly not an 8 (but probably a 6 with specialization).

And no, 6 in SR 4 represents more than a handful, it represents the usual ELITE. Presidents in social skills, CEOs in business, the best in class special forces guy. While rare, a certain amount of unnamed NPCs and starting characters has this high level of proficiency.

7s on the other hand, are as you say reserved for a bare handful, those few legendary men that often becomes icons of their trade. While there are always rating 6s to be found in any field, the 7s come and go and usually leave a lasting impression (unless their skill is infiltration, which in case it would be pretty counter-productive).

As for the fuel thingy, yeah a bit silly but then again these guys weren't thinking clearly and when half the gang shouts for the same thing the leader wants to appease them even though he probably thought WTF? In any case no one suspected magical brainwashing.

D minor: TY for praise. Was that a question?
FriendoftheDork
Here's another update on Life in the Barrens. I must admit I have forgotten to do this until now, sorry about that. Well, last time wasn't much of a session anyway, just a short Food Fight 4.0. Since it is a quasi-official module I'll post it in spoiler block as before.

[ Spoiler ]

Uzz and Jimmy even gives a share to Simon and Trog afterwards. Well that's all for tonight, hopefully I can update this next weekend. I hope I can finish preparing Elven Fire until then.
MaxHunter
Ha! welcome back to your thread fotD! I love Food Fight! I have even ran a FFight 4beta version because it hadn't come up when I thought of it.

It was more similar to the one in the previous edition. In my game the runners finished the opposition (with some hard work and a runner taking heavy damage, mind you) and after that they locked the SS, went into the maintenance room and handed mops and buckets to the NPCs and had everybody clean up the evidence, (leadership and intimidation rolls to "forget" the event) and then a couple more bodies went down Puget Sound!

[ Spoiler ]

Cheers and keep up the good gaming!

Max
FriendoftheDork
Thanks Max, will do. But I at least have to read through the whole thing and get the order of events right. Problem is, since it's a nonlinear module it seems I must read up on most sections.

I'm also planning to stat out Green Lucifer, although that is probably unnecessary.
FriendoftheDork
Here's the update on "Life in the Barrens." We had to cancel last friday because I had to babysit my nephew, but we managed to play monday so not to miss too much play as I have to cancel next weekend as well.

Now, I wasn't sure if everyone could, so instead of finish preparing Elven Fire I wanted to make a short adventure. Jimmy's player wasn't sure if he could play, so I tried to make something the team might accomplish without a hacker: Extraction. The premise is simple: The same part of Renraku America (Renraku biotech?) that was behind the Project Hope medical experimentation needs some new assets as they lost alot of medical data as well as skilled researchers. However their Intelligence has become aware that a subsidiary of Shiawase Biotech called Versalife (shamelessly stealing names again) are doing research on Genetech and even Biodrones. The lead scientist of the Versalife research hospital in Downtown Seattle, Jonathan Garner, is currently working on the biodrone project, and quite frankly Renraku wants him, both to delay the Shiwase efforts and to accelerate their own. Since they're not sure he'd be willing to betray his corp, they hired the team to extract him, forcefully if they have to, but preferably without pissing him off too much.

Ironically, the Johnson they hired to get a team called Uzz, which means the same team responsible for sabotaging the Renraku project is now working for Renraku, and neither side nor the Mr. J has a clue!

The Johnson, pretty much an anonymous type with actioneer business clothing, dark sunglasses, dark short-cropper hair and a voice modulator, met the team after contacting Uzz directly. He didn't say much at first, only that it was an extraction job and that it would be worth their time. After checking with the party, Uzz agreed to come to the meet, 8pm in a Downtown zoo by the gorilla cage. Uzz, Trog and Simon met with the Johnson while Jimmy stayed near but out of site, scanning for nodes and looking for "black-clad ninjas ready to flip in, flip out, and kill them all."

Their employer had with him two chromed troll body guards, and a mage in the astral whom Simon noticed. Then the game started, Mr. J briefing about the mission, trying to give as little intel as possible but still give enough that the team would accept the job. When the Q&A was done, and Uzz had more than doubled the initial offering (110k nuyen for the team - 25k in advance), the Johnson told them about the details. They learned that the job was against Versalife, a Shiawase Biotech subsidiary, where it was located, that the target was project leader Jonathan Garner etc. They asked alot of questions as usual, and got the necessary photos of the target and the facility .

After the deal was conducted, the team met up with Jimmy and started planning the legwork. During that part, Simon checked the astral again and found the same mage hanging around, although he split right away after being discovered. They went to their bikes to get to work, but before they arrived something happened:

2 old ford americars drove past them at full acceleration, a punk in each car hanging out one window and another out the other over the roof pointing mp5-TXs at them. Before they managed to fire though, Uzz activated his reflexes and shot the driver in the first car. Since they were downtown, he wasn't using APDS (no licence for those), so the driver needed both shots to be taken out. Jimmy activated a hologram depiction of a wall in front of himself and a few bystanders, leaving the rest of the team behind the "wall," then threw himself down. Then it was the punks, some of whom also had spent edge to "go first." The two opened full auto suppressive fire on the team. Trog, suprised and unable to react simply took the rounds on the chest, without flinching. Uzz dodged the hail of bullets with his matrix-style Combat Sense and good edge. Jimmy was on the ground and thus out of the hail, but Simon, as well as the innocent bystanders were not so lucky. Only because of his armor vest and armor spell did Simon manage to avoid death, although the second burst knocked him down. The rest... well they were pretty much smeared against the wall, either dead or in critical condition.

Then it was time to act for those that didn't spend edge. Trog was still trying to find out what was happening, and pulled out his Ingram X to return fire, as well as activating his reflexes. Simon, although hurt, cast a force 7 stunball on the cars. Despite the force it lacked power though, and only 2 of the punks took damage (and not enough to knock them out). Then it was the remaining punks. The 2nd pair hanging out the windows started to fire short bursts on Uzz and Simon. Uzz had aldready fired back, and everyone noticed the stunball originating from Simon by the feeling of power, ripples in the air between Simon and the point of the stunball, and smell of ozone - so they were the obvious targets. However, the speed of the moving car made accuracy difficult, so Uzz remained unscathed. Simon though was already down and had a hard time moving so he got hit pretty badly. The first car had a dead driver though, so he crashed into the side of the building opposite the team in the intersection. This was enough to knock out their occupants and kill the injured ones.

In the second pass, only the punks (high on Cram) and Simon (Increase Reflexes spell) could act since the wired ones couldn't turn them on before the combat. Simon had already spent his pass dodging though, so 1 punks spent his pass by ejecting and jamming a fresh magazine into his SMG, while the remaining one fired at Simon again, whom despite dodging again failed miserably and got passed out (good armor). The remaining car drove about 30 meters down the street, and the driver had no intention about making a second pass, but Uzz and Trog opened a can of whupass on it, killing the driver and the rest of the punks.

As things calmed down, Uzz and Trog checked up on the punks first, finding only one alive in the first crash. They started hearing the 'Star coming, so they checked Simon, who had mostly blunt thrauma, and agreed to meet up at Trog's by the Vatos. Trog stabilized the live punk (yeah he's got some skill after assisting Simon before), and wanted to bring them both on his bike. Sure, the huge bike is large enough for 3, but it's not a good position for a barely stabilized person. He put the punk down at the bottom and Simon on top, to which the player said "It warms my heart that they think more highly of me than some random street punk," to which Jimmy's player replied "But he doesen't matter, does he?" biggrin.gif

After Jimmy hacked the ubiquitous Lone Star drone to forget them, they split up. Barrens was a bit away though, and as Trog was riding home he noticed his punk was getting large dark spots beneath the skin. He stopped in an alley and started stabilizing again. It became clear than he couldn't transport a "patient" that way and expect him to survive, so he called on the rest and told them.

Well, that's pretty much were we stopped. Uzz thinks Mr. J has something to do with the driveby, especially since his mage was spying on them just before they got attacked, but for once his paranoid suspicions are wrong. It was really just a random driveby, a sign og the crime and violence increasing in the city. They'd heard about it on the news before and by street rumor about gangs going to war, but this time they felt it on their own bodies (well some of them at least.) The tragedy of the innocent bystanders was lost on them though, and after checking if anyone was a famous simstar or someone VIP, Trog left them there. Well, he's a child of the mean streets so perhaps there is good reason for this callous behaviour.
The driveby encounter was from the Elven Fire module though - a taste of things to come, but not related to this mission really.

Well, until 2 weeks, next friday I'm working night shift so no game then.
FriendoftheDork
Sorry about the late update, have been short on time lately.
Here's the long awaited update on "Life in the Barrens" (I hope):

Trog got on his bike and transported the unconscious Simon to his trusted street doc called "maddoc." Yup, that’s the somewhat unstable cyberdoctor working in the Redmond "Chop Shop" street hospital. Although the vest and armor spell had caught most of the barrage in the drive by, he had suffered so much blunt trauma that he was bleeding internally and needed some time hospitalized to get back on his feet.

Meanwhile, Jimmy kept a watch over the unconscious punk back in the alley. Now, usually someone could have taken amiss seeing a bloodied man lying in an alley somewhere all lifeless, but then again with all the violence downtown nowadays no one really cared. After an hour, Trog came back and picked up the punk, but when he got back to Maddoc with him he was already dead. Perhaps next time they'll get a proper vehicle to drive dying people.

Anyways, while Simon was recuperating the rest of the team checked out the target. The Versalife complex had 4 buildings: Guard booth, research hospital, garage/storage and residential. The compound had about 10 meters of clear space before hitting the cheap apartment blocks that covered the site from 3 out of 4 sides. The buildings were fairly low though, only 3 stories tall thus 10-12 meters tall, while the blocks around had 5 stories (16 meters tall).

They’d learned from Mr. J that the facility had at least a spirit of some kind on standby, so Simon didn’t do the astral scouting thing this time. Hacking worked though. Jimmy used slow hack to hack through the gateway and found a bunch (about 9) nodes. The senior management node was offline, but he could hack the node with employee records, and even the security node was online (it wasn’t supposed to be, but they forgot to disconnect it after last update). Through these nodes he learned where the target was located, what security systems existed etc. He also learned that Mr. Garner lived with a fellow scientist of the female persuasion – and that they were together. Thus they realized it might be better to extract them both to possibly get a bonus from Mr. J.

He also hacked a couple of cars so that they’d have one ready for the mission. Afterwards Jimmy edited the logs to disguise his presence, but kept the back door into the system for when they were ready.

They spent a long time discussing how to do the plan. The problem was the spirit. If it was attacked and/or disrupted the master WOULD know, and the alarm would probably go off. Astral tracking would not work either has Simon would have to go pretty close to the spirit to track the connection all the way back to its’ controlling mage.

In the end they got the solution: Control thoughts on the spirit and order it to go home to attack its master. The alarm would go off eventually, but that should leave the mage occupied and busy. Then over the fence from an apartment in one of the blocks, climb/levitate up to the window, blow it open with APDS rounds (armor glass), get in, get geek, get out. Simple. The security would be down from hacking, and since there were no patrolling guards or guards outside out all they’d probably not even hear it before it was too late.

By the time they got to it something had changed however. The site’s security hacker had done his check up, noticed that the security node was connected to the matrix, as well as noticing backdoors in several nodes, including the security node. Now, Jimmy had covered his tracks so the Spider wasn’t sure there had really been an attempted intrusion, but he fixed the security holes anyway and turned the security node offline as it should be (from the matrix, not off entirely!).

Jimmy didn’t notice he was locked out until the extraction was just about to begin. Additionally, because of Trog had been joking about Euphoria, Uzz had turned his commlink off turning the party a cold shoulder (he was close to tasing Trog right there). Uzz did show up though around 1am ready for the mission.

Since they were on a schedule, Jimmy tried to brute-force himself into the gateway node… but this time the node’s analyze program found him, triggered the alarm (including one to the Spider, who was standing by and suspecting foul already), and the system disconnected Jimmy. Now hacking in was even harder too, and the Spider logged on almost right away, trying to find the intruder. Jimmy started hacking in again, using edge for what he was worth. Meanwhile, I was doing matrix perception tests between Jimmy and the Spider against their respective Stealth programs (both 6). For several passes no-one found one another, and when the system detected the intruder yet again trying to get in a black IC was dispatched. The spider managed to find Jimmy’s icon before that, and was running a trace on him. However, as he critically glitched the trace, he was tracing the wrong icon. As soon as the IC (who didn’t have stealth) was spotted by Jimmy, he used Edge to go first in cybercombat, and logged off right away, turning his commlink off right after.

Jimmy met up with the rest of the team, including Simon who had recuperating under the excellent treatment of Maddoc. They considered aborting the entire mission because of Jimmy’s failure to hack it (literally). However, they made a backup plan on the spot – simply brute forcing themselves past the security. They entered an apartment in 1st floor of the adjacent tenement, tasered the family living there. A baby was crying, and Uzz was about to tase it as well, but Simon got him off it by using Influence spell on it and tell it not to cry. Poor thing critically glitched the willpower test and will be tearless for the rest of its life.

Trog got up on the roof of the tenement building, ready with his gear, grappling hook, guns and a ski mask. Uzz broke the glass of the apartment facing the facility and Simon used Control Thoughts on the patrolling spirit of man, ordering it to go to its master and kill him. Despite using edge to resist, it failed (Simon used it as well) and was compelled to obey. So it did it. I played out the fight, and since the mage was initially sleeping and not much in melee combat, the spirit of man (force 6) beat the crap outta him
easily.

Uzz used his sniper rifle with ADPS to shoot out the cameras and even Automated Firing Platforms hidden inside the compound.

Then Trog made a great jump, from the roof of the tenement (15 meters in the air) to the roof of the building inside the compound where the target lived, 12 meters high, about 13 meters from the tenement building. He barely made it, having to grab the ledge and pull himself up. When Uzz shot the armored glass windows of Garner’s apartment, Trog rappelled down and jumped into the window. He tried to persuade Garner and his girlfriend Jennifer to come along without resistance, but they were panicking. Thus he had to physically force them out the window, where Simon was using levitate to get them down, not as easy as it sounds against nonwilling targets. He got some of their clothes as well.
However, the alarm had been tripped the moment Uzz shot the cameras, so in the few moments that had passed in levitating, the guards had responded. 2 of them ran into the apartment and looked out the window with guns ready. The remaining 3 at standby was also on their way, but couldn’t get there in just a few turns. Uzz was ready for this though, and had jammed in some gel rounds into his sniper rifle, and as soon as one of the guards was seen in the window, he got a gel round to his head. The next guard wisely stood back, waiting for backup and probably popping his emergency cram dosage. The team and the targets got into the waiting getaway vehicle, and Uzz was already in the process of bullshiting them and making them calm with his silver tongue. Then they got away. Or did they?

A few minutes later, as they were driving towards the meeting place in Redmond, Uzz noticed 2 drones which bore the single star tailing them high in the sky. Further back and up was even a ‘star chopper. Jimmy tried to spoof the drones, but they were rigged and Jimmy’s command were ignored almost as soon as they were given, superseded by rigger control. So Uzz blew them out of the sky anyway. Simon used a summoned spirit to Accident the chopper, which crashed onto a roof, not destroying it but taking it out of the fight basically. Jimmy tried to figure out why they were being found again and again, but only in the end did he realize the targets had security tags beneath their skin. So she drove like the devil and got into the dead zone of Redmond, shaking them off eventually.

The run wasn’t a 100% success, but they got the target and delivered it to Mr. J (who had with him a team of disguised Red Samurai). None of the PCs noticed this though, or that they had worked for Renraku all along, and Jimmy didn’t even participate in the meet. Oh well.

Since this report is overdue, we’ve already played the beginning of the module “Elven Fire� that I have been preparing for some time now. I’ll delay that report though since all they did was meet Mr. J and data searching. I should be able to update in a week. Until then!
MaxHunter
Good report! I am quietly waiting for elven fire tales....

Cheers,

Max
fumble
Good work FOD.

(We are all awaiting for a report of Even Fired Adventures...)

Cheers,
Fumble.
FriendoftheDork
Patience Grasshopper! smile.gif

No really, I appreciate that you still request for updates; they sometimes get a bit tiresome, when no one comments afterwards. So keep up the feedback please, I’m feeling more motivated already! biggrin.gif

In fact I wouldn’t mind a few pointers on the style you would like to read, if you want focus on the story, legwork, dialogue, rules applications or the actual mission. Do you want to have a background for the run, to know the “real deal� right away or stay in the dark like the players do until they learn something through play? And how long or detailed do you want? Although I like to have this as a reminder of what has happened in my game, I admit this is mostly for you guys, otherwise I’d just write a few lines each mission on what happened rather than describing a scene in detail.

Right now, I think I’ll drop the background of the Elven Fire module, except from what the PCs learned through their encounter with the Mr. J.

So without further ado: “Life in the Barrens.�

[ Spoiler ]

Well that’s where we left off; I hope this report was entertaining. Until next week I think.
Warmaster Lah
Man I love these. Trog is still my favorite so far.

Man that Uzz lives a charmed live though, well besides having bug parts...

I can't beleive they trusted that SK though, not paranoid enough if you as me. I wonder what they will do with the Ultraviolet system, could come in handy. Might find a tribe of netcreatures squatting on the place if they left it connected.
Whipstitch
Uzz has a charmed life? What about Trog! Even if he's got an armored jacket, helmet, Dermal Plating/Orthoskin 3, Titanium Bone Lacing, Platelet factories and Toughness, it's still rather hard soak 14 DV down to a single box without a shield and some Edge. Big dice pool or not, the Dice Gods smile upon him.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah)
Man I love these. Trog is still my favorite so far.

Man that Uzz lives a charmed live though, well besides having bug parts...

I can't beleive they trusted that SK though, not paranoid enough if you as me. I wonder what they will do with the Ultraviolet system, could come in handy. Might find a tribe of netcreatures squatting on the place if they left it connected.

Well yeah they were paranoid enough. But it was the Johnson NPC that really convinced them... and the fact that such old tech could hardly be much threat to Matrix 2.0. Still, who knows what can happen in the end. It won't be the last of Archon at least.

Uzz charmed life? Well the player is extremely lucky at times (so far 19 hits on a test record!), and often gets >50% hits... but the character has been pretty messed up. Losing Euphoria as well as the next GF, almost becoming a bug has made Uzz rather mentally unbalanced. He's been acting all cold and uncaring most missions, and at times seems to almost want to die.

Lately though he's initiated and found some kind of peace with himself - which has resulted in him being very selective about whom to kill and starts to use tasers etc. even when not the most effective.

Trog has an armored jacket, dermal plating, toughness, high pain tolerance, really high body... oh wait you (Whipstich) just edited and added all that.

Oh and he has a helmet. A mean one, with horns biggrin.gif. Not really charmed though, as he has Edge 1 and only used it in the combat when the last ganger shot at him (desperately attempting to stay conscious.

But yeah, good roll on the initial dodge and soak.
Jaid
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Lately though he's initiated and found some kind of peace with himself - which has resulted in him being very selective about whom to kill and starts to use tasers etc. even when not the most effective.

tasers are pretty much always the most effective, unless you're trying to break down a door, or someone who is far away =P

which is probably more than a little bit silly, but them's the breaks...
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Nov 19 2007, 04:16 PM)

tasers are pretty much always the most effective, unless you're trying to break down a door, or someone who is far away =P

which is probably more than a little bit silly, but them's the breaks...

Yeah tasers have a very high damage rating, but you know guns are good for... ehm... well... alright, range.

He did fire them at extreme range when he could have just killed them with regular ammo and no penalties.
MaxHunter
all in all sounds like fun, and it's good to hear the description of those cool tiger gangers... smile.gif

-I didn't get the "Archon" comment- Did I miss anything?

keep it up! and send my regards to your players....

Cheers,

Max
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012