Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life in the Barrens AAR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Crusufix
Sounds like a good run!.

Queen Euphoria was another favorite of mine. Interesting twist in an otherwise standard mission.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Crusufix @ Jun 19 2007, 01:50 PM)
Sounds like a good run!.

Queen Euphoria was another favorite of mine. Interesting twist in an otherwise standard mission.

Yeah well the last time I tried to run it the players didn't like it much, mainly because they didn't like accepting a run where they didn't get paid in advance, and because the "tell it to them straight" sections seemed like railroading on part of one of the PCs.

But this party was much better suited, and we had a fun time even though we got very tired in the end.

PS you still haven't answered my questions about Double Exposure crusufix, please post it here or PM me.
Crusufix
I PMed you a couple days ago with those answers cool.gif
FriendoftheDork
Heh, look at that I didn't notice those... strange that there is no popups like on other fora.
Meriss
Hey FoD! Great writeup, it's always fun to see what your players come up with. Quick question. How are they progressing? Like is your hacker getting better programs or links?
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Meriss)
Hey FoD! Great writeup, it's always fun to see what your players come up with. Quick question. How are they progressing? Like is your hacker getting better programs or links?

TY! Why yes, he has gotten more programs, although he still has only about rating 3 in common progz and 3-4 in hacking progz. He still lacks some hacking progz though, like defuse Data Bomb and Armor. I let him try to defuse the data bomb in the last adventure by having him spend 1 edge, but he'll have to get it later.

Most of the time he has 7 (9 hot sim) dice with any computer test. He has invested points in skill groups so it's very expensive to raise them with the 12 karma they have so far.

The mage has a harder time, with magic 4 and only 1 or two in most magic skills. This leads to fun situations though when he's Assensing, as he's already told his talismonger that Uzz the adept is a Dual-Natured creature (critical glitch) wink.gif

Uzz is pretty kickass, always was. Tons of dice in shooting, stealth and social skills. His main powers are the one that allows you to change your voice and some combat sense.

Trog - tough grunt. Not quite as many dice in shooting, but can also do close combat very well, and really can take a hit. Both combat characters have wired reflexes lvl 2.
FriendoftheDork
Ok, it's high time you got the update on this. I didn't post last week as we basically spent the whole evening with the Euphoria part, and we didn't finish the adventure before last friday.

Well, well, spoiler tag time again:

[ Spoiler ]
, since Simon's player will be away two fridays, so not to leave him too much behind in karma and nuyen.

Until next week: 10' under!
FriendoftheDork
To those of you who have taken an interest in this thread:

BUMP!
FriendoftheDork
Alright, last we played the minirun called "10 feet below."

Basically, it was a very straightforward mission, to capture a shipment of DNA samples, from none other than DocWagon™.

Their fixer Mr. Singh called them up and offered them the evening's job, a simple mission but only 8000 nuyen payoff. Ok, it was not paying the rent, but it was a datafist of nuyen more, so why not.

They learned from Singh that a small vehicle called a Jackrabbit would leave the DocWagon research facility 10am and head for Emergency station 1. Since there was more than one route there, they couldn't lay an ambush like the last time.

Instead, they went to the research facility. When they saw the correct vehicle leaving about 10am Jimmy sent his MCT-spy drone rigged with a powerful magnet to fly behind the vehicle and attack itself to it. It worked very well, and the drone passed it's pilot test. Now he could easily track the vehicle by accessing the drone's GPS.

The team all drove off on Trog's motorcycle (large enough for 2 passangers). They wanted to get past it at a time when it could not change it's route and still reach it's destination efficiently, so I called for Log+Int test from Trog, with a +2 for using AR and a mapsoft rating 5 of seattle. Additionally I let the others help (as long as Trog didn't glitch), and they managed this very well. However, at the location they spotted Lone Star security drones, so they had to delay.

They were forced to delay some more times (bad luck) because of risky locations, but eventually they managed to stop it. Jimmy hacked the vehicle in front of the Jackrabbit and stopped it, Jimmy and Uzz dismounted the boke, while Trog drove on the side of the Jackrabbit to prevent it to go past the vehicle in front.

Uzz was disguised as a carwindow-cleaner, and started to clean the windows of the front car, and when they shouted him off he continued to the Jackrabbit, who's driver got quite upset, thus not noticing Jimmy spoofing the back door to open and "palming" the samples. The car behind saw it and called Lone Star, but then the team managed to escape before getting Lone Star on it's tail.

Mission accomplished. Too easy? Bet'yah. No one managed to spot any of the two spy drones that had followed Trog all the time, getting both their planning and the theft. devil.gif

Well there be no playing next week, but perhaps the week after.
DTFarstar
Just wanted to say this game sounds awesome and that I wish my players were as adept at getting past problems as yours seem to be. Hell, I guess their feelings of immortality stem more from lingering taint from the Game Which Must Not Be Named. Can't really blame them, but it makes it hard for me to keep them alive and not fudge rolls. The Technomancer (last time I allow one till their rules get improved) in the group almost got himself killed registering sprites. Partly my fault because I rolled really well, but still.... don't try to register Force 6 Sprites when you only have 11 dice, 1 edge, 2 stun on you, and 10 dice to soak. Just my opinion. I let the dice fall where they may and he had to soak 18. With his low body it almost took him out. Anyway, don't mean to co-opt the thread just wanted to say good job, and that I look forward to the next update.
Jaid
registered sprites aren't supposed to be massively powerful. multiple rating 6 sprites is just excessive... for registering (or binding spirits, for that matter) you shouldn't be routinely dealing with more than about rating/force 4.

that's not a "flaw" that's how you keep the TM from having an automatic "i win" button.
DTFarstar
I realize. however there are no real repercussions for compiling and registering sprites other than the fading and so if he has downtime he spends about half of it trying to do so with Rating 6 sprites, one of each type. Or re-registering for more favors. In his game I am the mage and currently I have one bound force 4 spirit which I routinely use to possess enemies and create a little flanking for us and chaos for them. I also have the channeling metamagic so I have one force 6 spirit that I have possess me if a run looks like I'm going to be getting shot at alot for increased reaction and body. That is it. I have as yet to currently even summon one during a run. It's been all those two bound ones on 3 different runs spanning 5 sessions. He however uses sprites ALL the time practically. It's getting excessive and as he built his character to be useless outside the matrix (till, god help me, he figured out he could rig and now he's buying up dobermans) He's basically a god inside unless I just give everone rating 6 everything. Even then he usually has more dice because he's probably siphoning a favor off of a sprite. So.... it's annoying. I hesitate to impose the -2 for sprites being distracting/draining because he will immediately throw that on me as well with the spirits I have with me. Even when not using them. This is a GM who has decided that you have your movement and you use it all during your turns so, while I have 1 IP and the Street Sam has 3 and much higher physical stats, I move farther than he does in one IP. I go and move 10 meters, he goes and he moves 3/3/4 during his IPs. Anyway, not looking to derail FotD's thread, your comment just sparked the need to respond in me because we actually played 3 times this week. One my game and twice in his.

Anyway, thanks for the response, sorry FotD, can't wait for the next update,
Chris
Aku
wow, thats a really gimpy houserule, isnt RAW that everyone's movement get's spread out over ALL ip's?
FriendoftheDork
Ah guys, ty for commenting, nice to see that there is still interest here.

As for my players doing well, yeah almost too well. So far there has been no reason for them to burn edge, no casualties in combat. Simon was hurt quite a bit in the Intro sessions, but after that except for Uzz being injured by an insect spirit there has been no serious damage. Usually the team decides which battles to fight and superior planning makes sure the enemy can't fight back.

Ah, so even if this is more realistic for a successful Shadowrun team I sometimes miss big fights common to D&D (oh no I mentioned it!), where the team only barely wins. Well not that I want to kill them but... you know.

As for techies, well I don't have much experience with them fortunately. Our mage does summon alot (he thinks binding is too expensive), but he has yet to try to summon above his magic rating, that would be dangerous. Now he has Magic 5, and can get powerful enough spirits.

As for the speed thingy, well I've always ruled like everyone's movement is divided up, it should never be an advantage in speed to not use iniative encancers.
FriendoftheDork
This week 2 players were missing, and thus also their characters Uzz and Trog.

I found a module however made by Ancient History: Zero Sum Gained. Although this module is based on a full team, I thought it would work with 2 players by reducing the amount of grunts.

Anyway, I'll post it all in spoiler block, for your convenience:

[ Spoiler ]

OK, this post got a bit longer than anticipated. I will finish the story in my next post as soon as I have time.
FriendoftheDork
OK, sorry for having been away for so long but my last report was so lenghty I got bored.

Anyway, I'll try to wrap it up and later start on the report for the Double Exposure module we began last friday.

[ Spoiler ]
Ancient History
Heh. Sounds like you had fun. Certainly some scenarios I didn't imagine (showing up at Ms. Johnson's workplace, f'r example), but it sounds like you did very well. Hope you and the players had some fun.
[ Spoiler ]
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Heh. Sounds like you had fun. Certainly some scenarios I didn't imagine (showing up at Ms. Johnson's workplace, f'r example), but it sounds like you did very well. Hope you and the players had some fun.
[ Spoiler ]

Yeah I think it was pretty fun, although the player didn't really like the cranial bomb thing. Some players hate having their characters forced to do things.

I'm not sure I missed it in the module, but there didn't seem to be any plan on how the "mcguffing" should be delivered, and I basically forgot to have Ms J tell the PC. She couldn't contact him either since he had his commlink cleaned and changed the commcode.
Eleazar
I just began taking a look at this thread today. Thanks for posting this, it is always great to read other people's shadowruns, especially ones that are so well done. wink.gif
imperialus
Just figured I'd let you know I've been following the campaign from the begining. Really enjoying it so far. Please keep em coming.
FriendoftheDork
Eleazar and imperialus, thanks for commenting that inspires me to continue this thread biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
Previously on "Life in the Barrens"

We finally got to start Double Exposure as I've planned for quite awhile. So without further ado, here is the report in Spoiler tags smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]
FriendoftheDork
Ok peeps, we played another bout last friday. Again, most of the session was legwork.

Previously on "Life in the Barrens"

[ Spoiler ]
fumble
Always a pleasure to read about those. biggrin.gif

Do go on posting your team's adventures - it gives ideas as well as making for entertaining reading.

Cheers,
Fumble.
darthmord
Yes, yes it does.
FriendoftheDork
TY guys. Let's hope they get into some serious shit next friday - I want to see how Uzz and Trog can stand up to security guards with initiative scores close to their own, 2 init passes, 12 ballistic armor (and 8 body), and 15 dice with gas-vented ak97s?

Yup, sounds bad, but keep in mind this team has never ever entered a fair fight. The concept is not in their vocabulary! I fully expect them to somehow ambush these guards when they are seperated, have removed parts of their armor, and are more or less incapacitated smile.gif
DTFarstar
I hope they do, I found last week that my team wasn't a match for a Force 6 Air Elemental and a Mage with only 5 magic. They got the drop on them but were trying to incapacitate them and take their vehicle with no damage to it. Needless to say the Air Elemental hit the mage that was using Influence to make the driver pull over with an Elemental Attack and incapacitated him before he could make it permanent and then they after much effort and good driving on the hacker/riggers part managed to finally disrupt the spirit. (Note no less than 3 of these characters are mages with combat spells AND banishing. A spirit shouldn't have been a problem for them. They just didn't think) Then they shot the mage with Gel rounds to the point that he was pissed off and afraid of them and overcast Lightning Bolt their vehicle(overcast at 8 I believe) and shut down their vehicle, two of them had to burn edge to live from the crash damage since the hacker used the last of his edge shooting out the window while driving and couldn't use any on the crash test when he critically glitched while going 100+ in a Bull Dog. Anyway, just to say I hope your players are smarter than mine.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
I hope they do, I found last week that my team wasn't a match for a Force 6 Air Elemental and a Mage with only 5 magic. They got the drop on them but were trying to incapacitate them and take their vehicle with no damage to it. Needless to say the Air Elemental hit the mage that was using Influence to make the driver pull over with an Elemental Attack and incapacitated him before he could make it permanent and then they after much effort and good driving on the hacker/riggers part managed to finally disrupt the spirit. (Note no less than 3 of these characters are mages with combat spells AND banishing. A spirit shouldn't have been a problem for them. They just didn't think) Then they shot the mage with Gel rounds to the point that he was pissed off and afraid of them and overcast Lightning Bolt their vehicle(overcast at 8 I believe) and shut down their vehicle, two of them had to burn edge to live from the crash damage since the hacker used the last of his edge shooting out the window while driving and couldn't use any on the crash test when he critically glitched while going 100+ in a Bull Dog. Anyway, just to say I hope your players are smarter than mine.

Chris

Yup, I think they are. I mean they need to shoot the mage for MORE than 1 initative pass to take him out?

So far they've faced magic 6 magicians no problem, and spirits up to force 5.

FriendoftheDork
Here we go again, the latest edition of "Life in the Barrens." The runners certainly got a challenge this time! Well without further ado, and in spoiler block here it is:

[ Spoiler ]

That's all for now folks. Comments are as always appriciated, especially now regarding Trog.
It trolls!
Ah, I've waited for this all week. The adventures of your group make for an interesting read indeed.
Especially Trog is a very funny incarnation of the big but naive troll. Kinda reminds me of Obelix.

As for experimental 'ware for Trog's body: Does it have to be cyberware? Such a big troll just cries for an iron gut. Get him a digestive expansion. As Trog is an alcoholic make it so he needs more booze to satisfy his addiction. Maybe even go as far as raising his addiction level to severe so he will have to invest some time (and karma) into reflecting and processing what's happened to him.

And from my Rescue-the-Trog POV: How about letting some cows fall out of the sky and kill the guards?
[ Spoiler ]
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (It trolls!)
Ah, I've waited for this all week. The adventures of your group make for an interesting read indeed.
Especially Trog is a very funny incarnation of the big but naive troll. Kinda reminds me of Obelix.

As for experimental 'ware for Trog's body: Does it have to be cyberware? Such a big troll just cries for an iron gut. Get him a digestive expansion. As Trog is an alcoholic make it so he needs more booze to satisfy his addiction. Maybe even go as far as raising his addiction level to severe so he will have to invest some time (and karma) into reflecting and processing what's happened to him.

And from my Rescue-the-Trog POV: How about letting some cows fall out of the sky and kill the guards?
[ Spoiler ]

Heh I guess you're talking about the legendary drop cows... you gotta link me the thread that that's all about.

But seriously,
[ Spoiler ]
It trolls!
Drop Cows are a devious menace you can find flying through the woods of the Odenwald, south of Greater Frankfurt. When you hear them mooing, you're already dead...

Serious stuff:
[ Spoiler ]
Big D
QUOTE (It trolls!)
Drop Cows are a devious menace you can find flying through the woods of the Odenwald, south of Greater Frankfurt. When you hear them mooing, you're already dead...

Serious stuff:
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

It trolls!
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Do we have to spoiler all of this?
Fortune
Shouldn't that be 'Mooooove-By-Wire'?
Big D
With something new and all-invasive like MBW, you could make the case that a botched implant of experimental MBW could be too dangerous to remove without access to a true delta clinic, which means he'd be stuck with it for a long, long time.
Whipstitch
You could simply just say that some of Trog's 'ware was damaged irreparably since I imagine the bugs probably favor Heal spells over biotech. I can't imagine they'd care too much about fixing the cyberware of the troll they just plugged. There's also the option of using an extremely dangerous experimental combat drugs in lieu of experimental cyberware. The Burnout quality gives precedent to the fact that substance abuse with nasty enough drugs can do long term harm to one's essence. Just tick off a moderate amount of essence off his char sheet and don't bother to worry about messy stuff like implant surgery and the cost of having mystery 'ware removed later.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (It trolls!)

Serious stuff:
[ Spoiler ]

Hey sorry for not responding sooner, but been busy.

Anyway, Uzz doesen't exactly escape from the cocoon (except in the way Stewie "escaped" from Lois' womb in Family guy), but somehow the posessing ant spirit fail to take control.

The hive is below a research senter where Renraku scientist are performing experimental cyberware research on unwilling participants (not knowing about the hive).

Getting Simon or anyone else in there is pretty much out of the question unless they all go in together, the security is pretty tough and the Hive itself is suicide. The mission is just to get the data from the computer in the research center (and learning about the ant threat).

As for replacing the ant genitala, it won't be that easy (and Augmentation hasn't come out yet). His enttire system has been replaced, and techniques made for repairing metahuman ones or simply augmenting them will not work. Perhaps in the future, costing lots of nuyen, time and surgeries, but not right away. So it's pretty indefinite.

I think I want cyberware for Trog, not only to show it off but also to make variation. Besides, the fact that he's loaded with it already makes it easier to get in new stuff. However, I don't want the change to affect Trog mechanically, only fluff-wise. So yeah cyberware that actually works but have percieved drawbacks. Damn I wish I had Augmentation, I could give him some of that stuff (but not as powerful).

Hmm, after checking up on things in Man and Machine, I think I'll opt for myserious nanoware treatment. Basically the runner have no idea what's don with him, and apart from nanoware "hives" inside his body there is little signs of change right away. Of course, these hives are protected by "Cutters" which are released if the Hives are removed. The main purpose of this, will be to scare the player, not actually provide an ingame penalty. A few random effects and symptoms will ocurr of course.

Oh, and I consider a cybertail as well, but not a very functional one. Problem is, this isn't exactly SOTA.
cx2
I assume you mean the dead tree version of Augmentation isn't available? The PDF is, but then that isn't for everyone.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (cx2)
I assume you mean the dead tree version of Augmentation isn't available? The PDF is, but then that isn't for everyone.

Yeah I mean the kind I can bring with me to the game without first purchasing an expensive laptop (or even a cheap crappy one). I'm not paying $25 for a pdf file...
cx2
Well lucky for you Augmentation's street date is around about now.

I accept PDFs aren't for everyone, they do have their uses however. Especially if you live outside the US, and if you have sight problems like me. If it can be put on a computer it can be made so it can be accessed by anyone if you have the right equipment and/or software, right up in theory to a deaf-blind person or perhaps even people with serious motor trouble/paralysis. Though they might have trouble finding a gaming group...
FriendoftheDork
True, I read as much... I'll check out Outlands (my local gaming store) before going to play today.
FriendoftheDork
Damn it seems like they don't have it yet, and that they don't plan to get it either. I can probably have them order a copy, but then again I might as well order it myself online, right? So any tips on where to get a cheap copy?
darthmord
Amazon has it listed for $34.99 (new).

I don't think you will find it cheaper anywhere else unless you go to a brick and mortar bookstore (Waldenbooks, Borders, Barnes & Nobles, etc) that has it and you are a book club member. If you are and can find one there, you'll typically get 10% off.

Good luck though. All the ones local to my house carry nothing but White Wolf games, Heroes & Masterminds, and D&D. The specialty stores (RPG stores, Bit O' England, etc) all have decent selections if they have the books in stock (they tend to sell fast since no one else carries them).
FriendoftheDork
OK guys, time for a new look on "Life in the Barrens."

Things worked out a bit different that I'd though, but at least here it is in spoiler block as usual:

[ Spoiler ]

More about this tomorrow, getting too tired to write now
FriendoftheDork
Ok, here's part 2 of the story, where we wrap up Double Exposure:

[ Spoiler ]

Mission Accomplished! It would be likely to fail without HoG though, other Gms beware. Still, what else is Edge good for? And really Uzz and Trog needed to get a challenging encounter they wouldn't easily shoot their way out of.

Later the party met with the Johnson and delivered the data. When he asked if this was the only copy Jimmy lied and said "yes of course." Then, after mr.J gave them the blackmail footage they asked him if it was the only copy, to which he lied and said "yes of course."

The runners were paid an ok amount, they got 5k bonus each on top of their agreed sum of 16k twice. More importantly, all but Jimmy got rating 7 fake SINs and licenses. Actually they were made just like real SINs are, and should be added to the international databases. Of course, the feds have their new SINs on file in secret networks reveal them as fakes, but they only save it in case the runners act against them. They have no inentions of screwing with them any more than they already have. Jimmy refused to give a DNA sample to make the SIN, so he didn't get one. Paranoid as always.

That pretty much ended it. Later, they learned about a mysterious gas explosion in caverns beneath Faith relief camp destroying it, and that the leadership of Project Hope were arrested on charges of corruption and tax evasion. None of the info on ant spirits got out, and no drek on Renraku either. I guess the feds are saving it for a rainy day, for example if they tries to get their arc back.

Next time the runners want to go down in the old Renraku secret facility in the Barrens, and this time they should be better prepared to face whatevers' down there than they was at 320 BPs and 500 nuyen.gif each smile.gif
D Minor
I'll echo what has been said before good story and sounds like fun.
fumble
Yep.

Sucks to be a sexy ant, though, and I guess you haven't quite finished with Uzz and his being half-possessed...

Keep up the good work.
Warmaster Lah
This is pure amusement!

Such an interesting team too. Knew I'd like Trog the moment I read the name.

And Jimmy the "Shades" aka Michelle "Van" though. Pure art. Such Duplicity against ones own teammates... ah classic.
FriendoftheDork
Guys, one day I'll gather your remarks in a "feel good" file, kinda like the quotes in the beginning of some books lavishing praise on it wink.gif

BTW in case anyone didn't notice I marked all the story posts in this topic with the In Character icon, so that it will be easier for new people to read it and skip the questions and comments in between smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012