Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Life in the Barrens AAR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
D Minor
Hats off to Simon. Sounds like ur mage has had a turn of luck. Still standing at the end of a fight biggrin.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
-I didn't get the "Archon" comment- Did I miss anything?

archon would be the semiautonomous knowbot (that's what the SK meant) that the group allowed to escape from the secure facility they were hanging out in.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Nov 20 2007, 01:22 AM)
all in all sounds like fun, and it's good to hear the description of those cool tiger gangers... smile.gif

-I didn't get the "Archon" comment- Did I miss anything?

keep it up! and send my regards to your players....

Cheers,

Max

TY smile.gif Archon is the SK they unleashed from the Renraku underground lair some missions ago.

Yeah, what Jaid said.

Thanks again for your stats. PS if you have some Meat Junkie stats please send them too by mail smile.gif

D Minor: The only reason he didn't go down was that he was never attacked wink.gif He was still kind of woozy because of all the stun damage, and casting a force 10 stunball didn't make him feel good either! I can't remember last time he did anything without a wound penalty of some kind nyahnyah.gif
fumble
Friend of Dork, good to see you back.

I know it must be tiresome, especially as you write rather long updates, but what can I say ? You have responsabilities to your fanbase now !...

Format is good as is. I suppose what could make a good addition is all the little jokes or awkward remarks and player fumbling that happen during the course of a game.

A friend of mine started collecting the little gems we blurt out during our games (it's here, but it's in french).

Some examples go like that :

- I tell you in character : "keep him busy for 2 rounds"

- So, I have -2 HP : I have to get a "1" on a D10 to stabilize, right ?
- Yep. A "1", or any other number you choose...
- Choose 7. It's always 7 *pretends to throw for craps*
- OK, I choose 7 *rolls dice*
- What did you get ?

- I take a -4 penalty to do subdual damage.
- (GM) with a gun?
- (Player, very seriously) Yeah : I aim at the wall behind him so he gets hit by the rubble

However, I suppose if you start collating that sort of thing on top of actually running the game and writting the updates, it starts being a full-time job...

Cheers,
Fumble.
fumble
Some more, more related to SR :

- If you really want to play an ork, you might as well play a troll....

- Don't worry Nakamori-san, just stay behind me : I am more bullet-proof than the popemobile.

- Oh for f**k sake, you're not going to use that rocket launcher in the tunnel, are you ?
- Watch me baby. (last words of Bud, Troll mercenary extraordinaire)

Anyway, that's it - wouldn't want to hijack the thread... biggrin.gif

Cheers,
ChL.
DTFarstar
I would enjoy seeing any jokes that you do remember from an OOC aspect as well. I don't know about you guys, but we come up with some OOC gems during our games usually and I usually remember the good ones if I tell someone about the session later.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
OK, sure I can try to get more IC and OOC jokes in, our games are full of them. Ok, they are funnier in context and with the mood and all, but still.

Problem is now I can't remember any of them so I need to write them down more often during the game.
DTFarstar
You would be surprised how well alot of gaming table jokes translate. Just be sure to provide a dictionary to terms that aren't multi-national. Or at least be prepared for people to be like "What the hell is a _______?"

Chris
FriendoftheDork
OK smile.gif
Warmaster Lah
Well a pretty good adaption of food fight which turned into an interesting "little" blackmail run.

Jeeze your players are bold.

They should be becoming quite well known in their part of the Barrens. Nice little list of enemies too. This infamy could be good or bad for them... (~_^)

On the other side they seem to have quite a few admirers as well.

I like the direction of the game too, more grimey and street crimey.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Warmaster Lah @ Nov 20 2007, 11:08 PM)
Well a pretty good adaption of food fight which turned into an interesting "little" blackmail run.

Jeeze your players are bold.

They should be becoming quite well known in their part of the Barrens.  Nice little list of enemies too.  This infamy could be good or bad for them...  (~_^)

On the other side they seem to have quite a few admirers as well.

I like the direction of the game too, more grimey and street crimey.

True, they're not exactly humble... then again if you can go again two ant hives and win, then blackmailing a corp guy is piece of cake.

Trog is very well known in his part of the Barrens, Simon has the highest public awareness (got wanted on tv and then arrested for cop killing), and Uzz isn't exactly low profile - he's a social chameleon and just as well known in the finer shadowrunner circles as in the Barrens. They have about 7-8 street cred now, that's pretty well known.

Jimmy is the exception, that character changes identities as women changes shoes, and often doesen't attend meets with Johnsons etc. at all. Although the figure Jimmy the Shades is getting known among Johnsons and Fixers, no one except the team and Maddoc knows she's actually a girl. I'm thinking of simply halving her street cred because of this. At least no one contacts her for jobs so she's dependent on the team for this.

As for friends and enemies... yeah but thankfully no one has really found out about them and plans revenge ATM except one Lone Star mage wanting payback against Simon for his murders.
FriendoftheDork
OK, back to “Life in the Barrens.� I was going to update this last week, but I’ve been very busy and once I had time I forgot a bit about it.

Since these updates are getting longer every time, I’m going to spoiler tag them to make it easier to scroll down the pages. Also, you might have noticed me putting IC on every post that is an update, so you can scroll past the BS if you want to wink.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Well that’s all for now folks. This update is dedicated to MaxHunter, who helped me by sending his stats on various NPCs, and giving the encounters a bit more flavor than usual. Thanks Mat!

This week we had to cancel play since two of the players couldn’t make it. I expect to be able to play next Friday though.

As always, feedback is appreciated smile.gif
MaxHunter
Hey! I got a post dedicated!!! Take that, fellow dumpshockers!! biggrin.gif

And keep it up, mate.

Cheers!

M
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
Hey! I got a post dedicated!!! Take that, fellow dumpshockers!! biggrin.gif

And keep it up, mate.

Cheers!

M

"Nice kid, don't get cocky" nyahnyah.gif Just kidding.

I take it you're all done with your group then, since you're playing some YotC module now?
MaxHunter
kind of. We finished Elven Fire some time ago, and the YOTC module was something that we had played before but had consequences that manifested just last time. Unfortunately for the runners, succeeding at Elven Fire and helping the city out of a possible military intervention made them a little too notorious for their own good. -I am using different Public Awareness rules, but it raised to 3 after elven fire- That provided Yamatetsu with enough hits on their investigation roll to discover vital facts on the runners i.e. their fixer's name, from there on it was just the circle of hounds closing on them.

Now they have some carcerands in their blood and just enough time to perform a stunt at Ares and recover the module data and bargain their survival. Hey, maybe I should start posting a "Life in Seattle AAR"... Nah! too lazy... smile.gif

Cheers,

M

FriendoftheDork
I see. So far I've been trying to follow the public awareness/reputation rules in SR, but I'm having a hard time as they often makes no sense. I mean, just because they do something right and keep a very low profile they get more karma, thus more street cred thus more public awareness?

I changed a few things though, like halving the street cred of Jimmy (who often doesen't even show up on meetings with Johnsons and always use multiple personas), and upping the public awareness of Simon (who got arrested after an APB on Seattle trid for murdering several Lone Star officers).

Next campaign I'm running I will seperate karma awards and reputation, they don't always go hand in hand. Not to mention the alcholic btl junkie who always fails his mission getting a massive boost to initimidate frown.gif
Karaden
Woo, been wanting to say thanks for posting these for weeks, but only just got my account approved. So here it is:

Thanks for posting these for us to enjoy.

I know I had other things I wanted to say/ask, but can't remember them at the moment, anyway, keep up the good work.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Karaden)
Woo, been wanting to say thanks for posting these for weeks, but only just got my account approved. So here it is:

Thanks for posting these for us to enjoy.

I know I had other things I wanted to say/ask, but can't remember them at the moment, anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks! And go ahead with your questions when you got them, I'm happy to answer.

It's always fun to see new people reading my AAR, and I wonder how many that actually reads it on a common basis.
D Minor
My life gets a little darker when u don't post. nyahnyah.gif

Keep it up. I enjoy following the growth of ur players. I feel like its a monolog/story . and its rude to interupt biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (D Minor)
My life gets a little darker when u don't post. nyahnyah.gif

Keep it up. I enjoy following the growth of ur players. I feel like its a monolog/story . and its rude to interupt biggrin.gif

Oh no, please do interrupt! My monologue isn't going to be read if it's on page 3 all the time you know smile.gif

Shamelessly bumping again wink.gif
DTFarstar
I've read from day one of the original post and I will continue to read as long as you post and I still come to DS. I wish more people posted these things. Of course I spend time sometimes just wandering through the Welcome to the Shadows thread reading peoples games.

I just wish I could see their character sheets because for some odd reason I really like stats to go with characters I read about.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
I've read from day one of the original post and I will continue to read as long as you post and I still come to DS. I wish more people posted these things. Of course I spend time sometimes just wandering through the Welcome to the Shadows thread reading peoples games.

I just wish I could see their character sheets because for some odd reason I really like stats to go with characters I read about.

Chris

Hmm, yeah I think that may be arranged. I wouldn't mind electronic versions of their sheets anyway when preparing so that will give me an excuse. I got those for the starting characters, but they have come a long way since then and I'm not sure exactly how they get their dice pools.

I'll ask them about it.
DTFarstar
*nods* I make my characters give me electronic copies or for the weird guy with no internet I make a copy of his so I have reference material when I'm calculating things.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
Ok DT and y'all, I now present your favourite Troll; TROG.

I'll put his stats in spoiler tag since they are fairly long and includes equipment. The skill are now stand alone with skill+attribute+cyber in paranthesis, but not spezialization bonus or smartlink.

[ Spoiler ]
cx2
Oh I'm still reading and enjoying too... though page 3 is never a good page for getting read wink.gif

(here in Britain there is a tradition of one of the tabloids using page 3 for a topless picture)
DTFarstar
Hehe, the mental image of a leather clad troll zooming around on a regular sized crotch rocket.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
Ok, continuing the posting of PC stats I bring you Simon! (the sorcerer).

[ Spoiler ]

FriendoftheDork
And here is Jimmy/Vanesse/Michelle/ oh my confusing. Stats are "as is", from the player himself. If they are too confusing I could answer a question or two.

[ Spoiler ]
MaxHunter
ok, ok, I really liked the stats that go with the chars, somehow I had expected them to be much more munchkiny. You don't know the things I have to deal with in my games. Loved the SIN details, I enforce something like that but then my groups usually have one-three fake SINs.

I haven't seen Uzz yet, but of these three I liked Jimmy the most. Maybe that is so because I didn't have any hacker chars in my games. (I do have one now, in a GitS clone japanese campaign I am gming) I liked the names of the drones too.

I do have a question, under "programs" there were two that caught my attention; what are "teamalert" and "wipe"?

Cheers,

Max
MaxHunter
oh, and it is really curious she has a "cranial bombs" datasoft, isn't it?

Cheers,

Max
MaxHunter
oh, and "Simon the Sorcerer" :lol: how biblical

Cheers,

Max the multiple poster (maybe I should start thinking before I write)
Jaid
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
oh, and "Simon the Sorcerer" :lol: how biblical

Cheers,

Max the multiple poster (maybe I should start thinking before I write)

you do realise there's an edit button that lets you do that in the reverse order, don't you? wink.gif
MaxHunter
oh, but I would have to actually take some time to do that, now wouldn't I? It's so much easier to regret and make fun of myself... biggrin.gif

cheers,

Max
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
ok, ok, I really liked the stats that go with the chars, somehow I had expected them to be much more munchkiny. You don't know the things I have to deal with in my games. Loved the SIN details, I enforce something like that but then my groups usually have one-three fake SINs.

I haven't seen Uzz yet, but of these three I liked Jimmy the most. Maybe that is so because I didn't have any hacker chars in my games. (I do have one now, in a GitS clone japanese campaign I am gming) I liked the names of the drones too.

I do have a question, under "programs" there were two that caught my attention; what are "teamalert" and "wipe"?

Cheers,

Max

Teamalert and Wipe: Just something Jimmy programmed, not a "real" program. Basically they are programs that can be run quickly just by a single command.

Teamalert send an alert to the team, so that they know something has happened. Wipe is also a panic putton of sorts, except it wipes the hardrive of the commlink it's run on, to rid oneself of incriminating evidence.

Jimmy wanted the team to have and use them, but so far she couldn't convince them of the necessity.

As for the fake SINs, yeah I've told them once or twice that they need to make up names for their SINs, and be able to act like what they're supposed to be. Otherwise they won't last long if the SIN gets an error or something.

As for the powergaming.. I guess Uzz is the "best" character that way. Trog is pretty tough, but his dice pools for attacks are not THAT bad. I haven't got Uzzs stats yet though (except the old ones). Also keep in mind that as the characters gained karma, they spent it to round out the characters rather that saving it all to overspecialize. All the characters save Simon min-maxed the attributes and had at least one "1" Trog and Jimmy had charisma 1 (now 3), and Uzz had logic and willpower 1 I think. Simon started with average in most stats, and thus has lost some BPs on it . But I like it that way, he's more or less an average student guy who has gained magical powers and is slowly getting tougher and tougher. Now, with increased reflexes and armor spells (with sustaining foci), and Magic 5 he's really dangerous.

The cranial bomb knowsoft? Must be something from when Simon got one implanted and they needed to know how it worked and what to do about it.

Jimmy is purposely useless in combat, and refuses to learn combat skills. He'll get some activesofts soon though, now that he's got skillwires. Still, even with a potential 11 dice I doubt he'll do much. At times he's been very useful in plotting down enemies and providing allies with information during combats though.

As for Simon, the "sorcerer" was just my pun, it's really the character's real name, and although he's attempted to use some street name it just hasn't stuck.
FriendoftheDork
Oh and about Jimmy's player: He's very thorough and so is his character.

He saves everything, makes alot of notes, and now (the character) is making a list of all the shadowrunners the team has come across and heard about, making a fake secretary in the secret lair (with room and everything), making some special delete command that saves what is deleted in a hidden encrypted folder (to prevent others from deleting everything), etc.

I get alot of emails with ALOT of details of what the character does in the meantime or works on when not running.
FriendoftheDork
Here we go again, continuing the Elven Fire module. This week Uzz’s player had unfortunately taken sick, so Uzz more or less faded out of the story. Since the player has played the module before that was alright, but then again his firepower would be well missed.

[ Spoiler ]

Ok guys, in about an hour I leave for the airport. I’m going to Thailand and Laos this cristmas and won’t be back before the 3rd week in January, so no playing before that I’m afraid.

Happy Christmas, Feliz Navidad and a happy NewYear!
MaxHunter
excellent post Friendofthedork! Sounds like good fun. My compliments to the players (and my ninjas.) Enjoy your holidays in the sun!.

Merry Xmas!

Max
It trolls!
Oh God! No news for a month? How am I supposed to get my fix ?! eek.gif

*rummages through his stash of Dreamchips* Oh yeeeaah, that's the stuff!
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (It trolls!)
Oh God! No news for a month? How am I supposed to get my fix ?! eek.gif

*rummages through his stash of Dreamchips* Oh yeeeaah, that's the stuff!

Hey everyone this is me posting from Thailand, near the Golden Triangle (Chiang Khong) smile.gif

Great weather down here, great food and really nice people!

Tomorrow we're going by riverboat down the Mekong river into Laos! That is, if we can get our Thai friends through the customs, their silly bureaucratic rules means their passports have to be 6 months old or something...

Anyway, glad you liked it. I feel sorry for you Troll, but at least you got other things to think about in Christmas time than Life in the Barrens. And you have your dreamchips biggrin.gif

So. merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad and a happy new year to you all!
kindalas
Excellent read you have definitely inspired me for the game I run for my friends.
BFaolan
I'm debating starting a thread like this one (more likely to be an Actual Play thread over at rpg.net, where the actual play forums need some shadowrun IMHO). What sort of things would you recommend for remembering enough of the session to write stuff down later?
(my memory is amazing sometimes - and absolute drek the rest!)
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (BFaolan)
I'm debating starting a thread like this one (more likely to be an Actual Play thread over at rpg.net, where the actual play forums need some shadowrun IMHO). What sort of things would you recommend for remembering enough of the session to write stuff down later?

First, thank you kindelas.

BFaolan when I first started this thread I just wrote the few things I remember from the session, basically just the mission and how they were solved. After awhile I got wrote longer and more detailed. Truth is, alot is probably left out still.

Usually I wrote the AAR the 1-3 days after playing it, where the memory of the story and how the characters did it is still fresh. It also helps that I've played alot of premade modules so when I forgot the order of events I could check the module and remember what the PCs did at various times, if not exacly who did what and who said what. In the end I had to start noting down quotes made during the game. The fun parts I can often remember, and most of what I forget is probably not worth writing anyway.

If you have difficulty remember, you might want to write short lines regarding plot the same night you played: For example

I never imagined this thread would last so long and be so popular, thanks to all of you who read and post here biggrin.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (BFaolan)
I'm debating starting a thread like this one (more likely to be an Actual Play thread over at rpg.net, where the actual play forums need some shadowrun IMHO).  What sort of things would you recommend for remembering enough of the session to write stuff down later?

First, thank you kindelas.

BFaolan when I first started this thread I just wrote the few things I remember from the session, basically just the mission and how they were solved. After awhile I got wrote longer and more detailed. Truth is, alot is probably left out still.

Usually I wrote the AAR the 1-3 days after playing it, where the memory of the story and how the characters did it is still fresh. It also helps that I've played alot of premade modules so when I forgot the order of events I could check the module and remember what the PCs did at various times, if not exacly who did what and who said what. In the end I had to start noting down quotes made during the game. The fun parts I can often remember, and most of what I forget is probably not worth writing anyway.

If you have difficulty remember, you might want to write short lines regarding plot the same night you played: For example "Party went to tenement, was ambushed. Simon downed mage and 2 spirits with one big stunball."

I never imagined this thread would last so long and be so popular, thanks to all of you who read and post here biggrin.gif

Good luck to your thread, and feel free to link to it in my thread.

BTW I joined one of my players SR session this evening, and got to make and play a Voudon Houngan shaman, using the possession spirits and everything. A fun character to play and I got to possess and kidnap a Lone Star captain for mind scanning and interrogation.
Fortune
QUOTE (BFaolan)
What sort of things would you recommend for remembering enough of the session to write stuff down later?

You could always tape your sessions.
BFaolan
Thanks for the advice smile.gif

We'll see how things work out - I think if I can find the time I'll sit down and write up the first four sessions as best as I can before I decide...
FriendoftheDork
Hi guys, I’m back with a long awaited update for my Barrens campaign. This time I didn’t use any official modules, but I’m using material and adventure ideas from Emergence, so if your GM is using it beware of spoilers!

[ Spoiler ]

Well that was the session. Since we played the next one just 2 days later I’ll have the second update as soon as I can finish it, which should be today. And there will be a sad announcement as well.
FriendoftheDork
Ok this is the last part about the first Emergence run:

Last time the runners planned to infiltrate the hospital, but of course being players they changed their minds. Now they followed up the lead on BM again, as they figured the corp had deleted the data at their mainframe (Jimmy slowhacked it and found references to it but it was deleted), so they figured BM must have the data in an implanted commlink.

Jimmy slowhacked the GridGuide and followed the route the black unidentified Van driving at 01.15 hours through Renton (not stopping at the hospital), and down into Puyallup. Then it went eastwards away from the civilized part and into the Barrens after where there was no more GruidGuide data since GG doesen’t cover the Barrens. Trog checked with Vatos if there were any gangs in that part of Puyallup that might help them, and in there is a gang there called Chulos (pimps) that have friendly ties with their fellow latinos/aztlaners. They set up a meeting and it went pretty well. The Chulos meeting them wanted some green (or whatever the color of nuyen is) for the info, but was happy to tell them they saw the black van driving down into a tunnel known to be corp property.

They followed the lead, and found the tunnel. Jimmy searched for wireless signals, but because of the bad Barrens reception he failed to find any but his teammates commlinks. They went down into the tunnel and when it became level they spotted a hidden camera in the far wall. They quickly moved back while Jimmy started intercepting the signal in order to make a fake one.

Unbeknownst to the team however, the MCT Covert Ops team hacker saw them through the camera and alerted his team. They executed BigMac silently, and deleted the contents of his implanted commlink, as they had already tortured him for many hours and found out he didn’t have time to make a copy of the intel before he was attacked by a security spider and flatlined. This team’s mission was to get the hacker delete his information, and make sure he had no copies by taking him to a safe house and interrogating him. Having done their job, they were packing things and almost ready to leave.

Jimmy tried to send a fake image, but the MCT hacker saw through the deception easily and instead saw Jimmy walking forward to “pick� the Maglock on the garage door. The rest of the team was still just out of sign (FYI they didn’t think Jimmy needed to walk close and though he was with them still). As soon as the soldiers got into position, the hacker opened the garage gate, and the Covert Ops men in position on the ground opened fire on the hapless Jimmy. The first long burst took him down and the second would have killed him (edge burnt).

The rest of the team now waking up from waiting around, moved closer and engaged the enemy. A big firefight ensued, both sides firing suppressive fire. Trog used his heavy machinegun, but only had Gel rounds loaded which were rather ineffective against the corp teams’ heavy combat armor. The spec ops had nothing heavier than submachine guns, but they had APDS loaded so they could harm Uzz and Trog as well. Uzz was as usual picking guys off with his Ares Predator and APDS, but their armor meant that he had to use several shots per person. Also, these were professionals (with lots of edge) and could even avoid some shots altogether while being a serious threat. Only 5 of them engaged the PCs right away, the hacker was hidden in another room just organizing the fight.
Uzz shot 2 of them dead, and together with Trog wounded 2 more severely. The last fled and locked the next (armored) door. The wounded men surrendered when Trog came at them with his spurs and they couldn’t even rise from the ground. Uzz was heavily damaged as well and was shot down at one point. Still, he picked up his military sniper rifle loaded with APDS. Trog first got his combat axe and attempted to break down the door, but then they tried to threaten the surviving soldiers into opening the door. Since they were unable to, Uzz executed them.

The hacker tried to negotiate with them through one of the dead soldiers commlinks, but even though he was willing to give them BigMac, he wouldn’t accept to open the door while they were still there trigger happy as few and no agreement was made.

Meanwhile one spec ops guy planted a demolition charge by the door, and as soon as Trog chopped down the door and got through, he detonated the charge. Trog was blown half away, BM was blown into bits. Some moments afterwards the 2 remaining members of the opposite team walked out of the toilet – and found Uzz and Trog. The latter acted more quickly and shot them down pretty quickly (out of edge), especially the sniper rifle was extremely effective.

Simon, who had only been there in astral space, came as soon as he could, but before that Trog’s DocWagon contract activated and they came into to resuscitate him. Good thing, as Uzz couldn’t carry the rest by himself anyway. Jimmy was also stabilized (by a captive spec ops, not DocWagon), but it turned out BicMac was now thoroughly chewed to bits, and his commlink wiped for information. Mission failed.

They didn’t cash in on the 200k, and they decided to give back the 50k advance as well, They did somewhat succeed the primary mission though, as they got BM (what was left of him) and found out they stole him for his data, even though they don’t know exactly what’s special about the data.

Sometimes you just can’t win, and getting the data was never an intended mission. Regardless they now suspect something’s up with AIPS patients as Mitsuhama was willing to attack DocWagon over it and a fixer willing to pay 250 thousand nuyen for the information. I think it was a pretty good opening for the Emergence campaign, but still there’s the sad announcement.

Jimmy’s player want out of the game. He thinks there is too much solo playing as the party is often split up. He also thinks his character can't do much in a fight and that investing in combat skills etc. is useless since the specialists will usually kill all opposition before he can act anyway.

He also blames the rules for this, as well as macking hacking and even combat taking extremely long time, even though he likes the setting, the characters and the missions.

Additionally, Uzz's player can't play fridays anymore so getting the group together will be difficult.

I'm considering playing along with the other 3 players, but people are going on vacations and other trips for a couple of months now anway, so I must at least freeze the campaign for awhile.

Since this might be the end of "Life in the Barrens" I'm going to say thank you all for reading this and inspiring me, this very thread has made my campaign even more important to me, and it has been fun sharing.

I'll probably stick around though, as I'm playing occasionally in another game now. Maybe if this campaign ends I'll start a new one, learn from my faults and try again, as I still like the world alot and even some aspects of the system, for all it's faults.

To be an optimist I will say cya! instead of farewell wink.gif
It trolls!
That was an awesome read as usual. Too bad you might have to end your campaign here. I hope you can continue (or maybe start a new topic if you get a new group together).
MaxHunter
Nice Emergence opening indeed!

Pity life gets in the way, doesn't it? I can tell because I am now in a long gaming hiatus since my players are all away on summer holidays (at the same location) and I am here checking Dumpshock. But, hey, I got a new job. smile.gif

I am sorry to hear Jimmy's player wants out, he (she) was my favourite character. Sill I understand, none of my players want to play a hacker. I think they got bad memories from SR3.

Anyway, thanks for the storytelling! Now I just have to wait for the next campaign...

Cheers,

M
FriendoftheDork
Thanks guys, you are my greatest fans wink.gif I liked Jimmy/Vanessa as well, but he/she is not a teamplayer, and the PC would work best in a solo play. And on the other hand it is almost hopeless in combat with no combat skills or even combat activesofts (but still 5 agility is not bad) - which means in most combats the player has been sitting around doing nothing, with the occasional looking for enemies, scanning area, supporting the team with combat data... not worthless but it takes a few seconds for the player to do so IRL, while the others roll countless rolls and takes a much more active part of combat.

But on the other hand while Jimmy has been hacking the other players have often started playing Magic the Gathering instead of paying attention - not a good sign.

So the player has a point - it's just that I think this campaign is salvageable as it fulfills the main criteria - people having fun. If we can simplify hacking (perhaps boiling it down to a single roll like I did in 3rd ed. ), and speed up combat (being less ruleslawyering and use less time on my NPCs), I think this could work.

And as for the last point (team splitting), that's up to the players to find reasons for the team to stick together more. Commlink technology means they can be on different parts of the city while still communicating freely, but I think it will be better if the team stick together more and can get to interact with NPCs or actually be there when the shit hits the fan.

The main problem seems to be survivability though, not being able to survive a stray bullet or 2.

OK I use paranthesis "()" too much don't I?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012