Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good ol Edges & Flaws
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mfb
so, there are two possibilities, here.

a) they wrote an edge, they put the cost for that edge in the table, and then they appended "example" to the edge's notation in that table with the intention that people would read it and say "oh, it's only an example, i shouldn't use it". and despite the fact that the edge was never meant to be used, they never said anything about not using it--matter of fact, they presented it as a balanced example for players and GMs to base their own custom edges off of.

b) they noted that as an example so that you'd know where to find it--so you wouldn't be digging through the edge/flaw list, trying to find it.

i mean, seriously. one of these possibilities makes sense, and one of these possibilities has a bad case of logic-weasels. i don't want to bias anyone as to which is which, but a) is the crazy one.
nezumi
Crazy... LIKE A FOX! Anyway, reading through, like I said, I thought it was an example of how players can push over their GMs, since it's pretty clearly not especially well balanced compared to the other social edges. So yeah, I guess we're agreed, A is the right one.
mfb
Superman can leap tall buildings in a single bound, but even he'd find leaping to that particular conclusion to be a challenge. there's nothing in the text to indicate, anywhere, that the edge isn't intended to be used. the only supporting evidence is the opinion that the edge is too powerful. opinions are not generally what one depends on when one is deciding what the official rules are, especially when there's an alternative that is not based on opinion.

i don't guess it matters much whether it's an official rule or not, so i'm going to let it drop. but not without stating, for the record, that your line of reasoning is seriously not a line at all.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Luddite)
My rule is, if it will not affect the character at least 50% of the time, it is not a true flaw and just background colour (and worth zero points).

I have to disagree. Sure a point or two is valuable, but I've found that the costs for allergies and incompetencies are pretty balanced, provided that both are limited to one per player. Okay, Allergy: Something That Will Never Come Up is stupid and worthless, but anything that could theoretically impact the character such as shellfish, animal dander, or pollen to name a few will be irritating (or worse, depending on the level) some times. A +1 TN 50% of the time should be worth more than 3 points IMO.

...I was not the GM For the campaign where the player took Shellfish, and I believe he took it as a common/mild allergy. I would have required it to be uncommon/moderate at best. Animal Dander and Pollen make better sense and would be more unavoidable than a dietary allergy to an rather uncommon food in the 2050s-60s. I actually could accept the allergy to Dairy [lactose] (mentioned in another post) more since lactose is often used in processed foods.

QUOTE (Lindt)
I had a PC that was seriously allergic to Soy products. I agreed with my GM about jacking my lifestyle costs up 33% would be fair.
Made shopping in the cheep parts of town hard though.

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I've done that as well. Just required the character to have a moderate lifestyle cost, without the nicer home.

...same here as well. Made for quite the expensive grocery bill and a few interesting situations during runs when the rest of the team hit the local stuffer shack for grub a 2:00am & all the natural markets/restaurants were already closed.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Grinder)
Pacifist runner don't tend to last long in our games. They're kicked out of the team (or worse) as soon as it becomes obvious that they're useless in combat and just a hindrance in it.

Since when does being unable to kill or only able to kill in self-defense make a character useless or a hindrance in combat?

There are lots and lots of Stun damage options that are available in the game.
Angelone
Which aren't as effective as lethal damage.

My main problem with people who play pacifist runners is they use it as an excuse to be jerks. They tend to try to force their views on people and in one case snitched to LS on the team for "murdering" the gangers who had attacked us. People tend to play pacifists as they play paladins in dnd.
Ravor
One of the reasons that whenever I finally get to play instead of DMing, I make sure to arrange for suitable 'accidents' to befall any 'would-be' Paladins in my team... cyber.gif
Angelone
Phobias, incompetance, and allergies are hard. They are good for background info, but yeah, some are kinda hokey. I have a really bad allergy and I avoid said object like the plague. There are things that hard as I try I honestly suck at, and I tend to avoid those things as well, because I don't like the frustration they bring me. I have a friend who freaks out at the sight of clowns, and a very funny story about the Halloween I found out.

I think they make good flaws if you watch out what is chosen. I for some reason atm am having a hard time express my thoughts so I'll try later.
mfb
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I was not the GM For the campaign where the player took Shellfish, and I believe he took it as a common/mild allergy. I would have required it to be uncommon/moderate at best.

as i understand it, there's more to living with shellfish allergy than just avoiding certain foods. for instance, if you go to a place that serves fried food, and they server fish, you might end up getting fish fragments in your chicken nuggets, which can trigger an allergic reaction. some processed foods can contain allergens. caesar salad dressing and even Worcestershire sauce can contain allergens. so "common" isn't unbelievable, especially in a coastal town like Seattle.
tisoz
QUOTE (nezumi)
Crazy... LIKE A FOX! Anyway, reading through, like I said, I thought it was an example of how players can push over their GMs, since it's pretty clearly not especially well balanced compared to the other social edges. So yeah, I guess we're agreed, A is the right one.

Can you find any creation example that is not a part of canon? I can think of 3 other examples of creating something that later becomes part of the standard rules.

1.) The Prairie Dog totem from Awakenings, page 108-109. It is in the regular expanded totem list in MitS, page 156, with no notes about it being just an example.

2.) The Light Strike Vehicle from Rigger 3, page 113. Later listed as the only example of a sand buggy on page 165.

3.) The Ferrari Open Wheel Racer from Rigger 3, page 114. Later listed as a sports car on page 167.
hyzmarca
Combining Phobia: Blowjobs with Intolerance: Whores and Day Job: Pimp can lead to a lot of laughs, particularly when the character also has Pimp Slap as a specialization of Unarmed Combat.

The phobia is both realistic (teeth!) and is extremely hindering due to his Day Job. His intollerance may also harm his Day Job, particularly when combined with his phobia, but it also provides an excuse to say "Pimp Slap" alot.

Also, Phobia:Ninjas with Intolerance: Japanese, Flashbacks:Pearl Harbor (bad BTL experience), and Jap Slap as an Unarmed Combat specialization provides a level of hypocrisy that makes very interesting roleplaying, with the character constantly berating Ninjas and Japanese people in general for staging sneak attacks while he himself specializes in making sneak attacks and blatantly refers to his sneak attacks as "Jap Slaps" with a bizarre measure of pride.

It is possible to make a suite of edges and flaws that compliment each otehr and make the character much more interesting.
nezumi
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 6 2007, 01:51 PM)
Crazy...  LIKE A FOX!  Anyway, reading through, like I said, I thought it was an example of how players can push over their GMs, since it's pretty clearly not especially well balanced compared to the other social edges.  So yeah, I guess we're agreed, A is the right one.

Can you find any creation example that is not a part of canon? I can think of 3 other examples of creating something that later becomes part of the standard rules.

1.) The Prairie Dog totem from Awakenings, page 108-109. It is in the regular expanded totem list in MitS, page 156, with no notes about it being just an example.

2.) The Light Strike Vehicle from Rigger 3, page 113. Later listed as the only example of a sand buggy on page 165.

3.) The Ferrari Open Wheel Racer from Rigger 3, page 114. Later listed as a sports car on page 167.

But notice in all three cases you listed, the designed totem or vehicle appears again in the standard listing. Prairie Dog is between Polecat and Puma, the LSV and Ferrari are both given descriptions with their fellow vehicles. GLAKI is NOT given a description with the other edges, its description appears ONLY in where it is designed. This is my point, if the authors had intended for GLAKI to be considered a normal edge, they would have listed its description with the other social edges like they did with the other designed things.
Enigma
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
QUOTE (Grinder @ May 6 2007, 03:40 AM)
Pacifist runner don't tend to last long in our games. They're kicked out of the team (or worse) as soon as it becomes obvious that they're useless in combat and just a hindrance in it.

Since when does being unable to kill or only able to kill in self-defense make a character useless or a hindrance in combat?

There are lots and lots of Stun damage options that are available in the game.

The stupid flaw interupts the game. Stun options are fine, and make some sense in certain circumstances. Sure, it reduces the cinematic value of games a little, but sometimes it is worthwhile.

However, a Pacifist also abhors violence, so they will lecture the other players about their violence. In your standard combat there is lecturing, IC or OOC, about it. Depending on the level of their roleplaying ability it will either be persuasive/in character or just out of character whining ("my character doesn't like what your character is doing and you shouldn't do it because ...").

This interferes with the game. It stops the flow of a combat. Quite frankly, I am yet to encounter a pacifist character that fitted within my games, probably because of the level of grittiness and combat. My view, with which some people might disagree, is that shadowrunners are criminals who do illegal things for money. The Wolfgang Kies/Raven/Paladin types in the game detract from the atmosphere created in a game.

I understand characters drawing some sort of line somewhere, like no killing children. Pacifist characters need to go back to the commune they came from and certainly have never done anything for games I have run or played in apart from stuff the group harmony and kill the fun of almost every game.
Shev
I have had pacifist characters before, without any problems. The trick is to make the character come to terms with the fact that he is dealing with criminals who will, either on occasion or constantly (depending on the group) kill people. There might be song "growing pains" as the character acclamates to the group, but eventually the character should be willing to accept the face that he can't stop the killing. All he can do is refuse to actively kill himself, using whatever Stun options he has available.

TOTAL pacifists, on the other hand, I don't get. I have never had a player ask to be one, mercifully. Honestly, if you're a total pacifist, what are you doing running around with (presumably) hardened criminals??
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Angelone)

You've clearly never had a character walk around with a Yamaha Pulsar in his/her pocket.

You don't get much more effective than 8D Stun + 1/2 impact armor + electrical secondary effects.

... well, assuming you are within a range to use it, anyway...

And if you're not in range to use it, well, there's always an MGL-6 with concussion grenades. (the MGL-6 is the 6 cap minigrenade pistol, right?) That's pretty damned effective too.
Kyoto Kid
...there's also neurostun grenades too.

My favourite was to pack an Ares Squirt loaded with a Gamma-S/DMSO cocktail. 10D stun w/instant effect & it softens them up for questioning later.
Smilin_Jack
QUOTE (Enigma)
My view, with which some people might disagree, is that shadowrunners are criminals who do illegal things for money. The Wolfgang Kies/Raven/Paladin types in the game detract from the atmosphere created in a game.

It really depends on the type of game being run to determine if I would agree or disagree that that blanket statement o' yours.

I've run one off games where the best thing that could be said about the characters is that the world would definately be a better place without them.

On the other hand, most of the long term games I've run tend to have characters that have complex motivations - the type trying to chart their way through the moral cesspool of the SR world without losing themselves, or staining their souls to much. To quote one of my players "Everyone has ties. Be it things, people, ideals, or even a brand name that they will fight or crusade for. But just because a he has those ties and is willing to fight for something doesn't mean he's not going to take any jobs that come his way. He does need to keep housed and fed afterall."
Wounded Ronin
As a GM, I think that I actually care less about the pure-stats flaws, such as Aptitude and Incompetence, than I do about the ones that are manifested almost entirely in role playing, like Hung Out To Dry or Dark Secret.

Why?

Because as the GM it's hard enough to write up the session in time every week. I really don't need to be forced to write in six extra subplots for six characters who all decided to cash in with Dark Secret. It's obnoxious because it's a way the character gets to force his or her backstory into every session and what's worse is that the onus of making the flaw hurt falls on the GM. If the GM is tired or just wants to focus on something else for a while the PC is getting a free ride.

Conversely, as a player, I would almost always pick Hung Out To Dry. My automatic contact picks were always Street Doc and Fixer. Most likely multiple other people on the team also have that as their autopicks. So, instead of getting a third or fourth redudant contact pair just cash in with the extra points. In my experience as a player the GMs NEVER bother to even make this a big deal in terms of role play. Every single GM I've ever played with has treated this as trading 2 level 1 contacts for extra points. See my above paragraph.
Angelone
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (Angelone)

You've clearly never had a character walk around with a Yamaha Pulsar in his/her pocket.

You don't get much more effective than 8D Stun + 1/2 impact armor + electrical secondary effects.

... well, assuming you are within a range to use it, anyway...

And if you're not in range to use it, well, there's always an MGL-6 with concussion grenades. (the MGL-6 is the 6 cap minigrenade pistol, right?) That's pretty damned effective too.

...there's also neurostun grenades too.

My favourite was to pack an Ares Squirt loaded with a Gamma-S/DMSO cocktail. 10D stun w/instant effect & it softens them up for questioning later.

In some situations I can see using nonlethal damage, but look at how much more expensive those options you listed are to the good ole Predator + reg ammo. Now granted you aren't going to always use that combo, prefer AP ammo personally. The grenade pistol is a baaaad example, sure it can be done but think of the heat it would bring down on you. "Oh my god, call Lonestar that pyscho is shooting grenades at people."
hyzmarca
Stun Damage is all well and good until someone pulls out the hundred-pack of high-rating stimpatches.
The fact is that stun damage is easily negated for everyone except magicians and adepts. All one really needs is an auto-injector and a biomoniter to have the equivalent of a second stun track (or a third). Trauma Dampeners make this even more broken, reducing all stun damage taken by 1 and keeping people conscious that much longer. You could even add in a bioware chemical gland so you don't have to worry about getting refills for the auto-injectors.
Lindt
Just remember, a Pulsar is Semi auto. Cant really stim patch your self if your over flowed well into physical.
Kagetenshi
And then we're back around to an expensive, short-range weapon that, while powerful, doesn't do Pacifists much good.

~J
mfb
plus, like hyz said--auto-injector. hook it up to a biomonitor, have it hit you every time you take stun damage. kinda a neat idea, actually.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (mfb)
plus, like hyz said--auto-injector. hook it up to a biomonitor, have it hit you every time you take stun damage. kinda a neat idea, actually.

It would be hilarious to drive a hapless GM apoplectic with that.
tisoz
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (tisoz @ May 7 2007, 12:35 AM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 6 2007, 01:51 PM)
Crazy...  LIKE A FOX!  Anyway, reading through, like I said, I thought it was an example of how players can push over their GMs, since it's pretty clearly not especially well balanced compared to the other social edges.  So yeah, I guess we're agreed, A is the right one.

But notice in all three cases you listed, the designed totem or vehicle appears again in the standard listing. Prairie Dog is between Polecat and Puma, the LSV and Ferrari are both given descriptions with their fellow vehicles. GLAKI is NOT given a description with the other edges, its description appears ONLY in where it is designed. This is my point, if the authors had intended for GLAKI to be considered a normal edge, they would have listed its description with the other social edges like they did with the other designed things.

Actually, no. The 2 examples in Awakenings - Prairie Dog and looking further, Fire Bringer - look quite similar to the examples of GLaKI & UaDC as they appear in SRComp. If we had gotten a new SRComp, I could see them being printed along with all the other E&Fs, just as both totems were printed in the pertinent updated sourcebook.
Sahandrian
I've only had two pacifists I can recall, and one 'cheap' food allergy.

The food allergy was a mild allergy to meat products (soy-based were usually okay) for my elf decker/face. I saw the idea that elves couldn't digest meat properly on Blackjack's page, and it amused me, so I gave it to her. I only gave it a -1 value, and then just because she tended to have meets in classy places where you would actually get real food.

The two pacifists were a shaman and an adept (both had the lesser version, not Total). The shaman was just opposed to killing on principle (and due to her initiate group's strictures), and her magic was instead focused on illusion, stealth, and healing. She tended to join the decker in hiding behind something when people started shooting.

The adept, on the other hand, didn't actually have any moral opposition to killing, but she was pretty much a newbie to running (she was about 19) and as such, really didn't have the guts to kill anyone. She wound up having a handful of social powers, a lot of unarmed dice, but no killing hands.
mfb
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 7 2007, 08:45 PM)

It would be hilarious to drive a hapless GM apoplectic with that.

well, to be fair, stun damage tends to come up a lot less often than physical, at least in the games i've been in.
DuckEggBlue Omega
QUOTE (Angelone)
The grenade pistol is a baaaad example, sure it can be done but think of the heat it would bring down on you. "Oh my god, call Lonestar that pyscho is shooting grenades at people.

And being a labeled a mass murderer for killing every security guard you encounter won't?

I really don't understand the opposition the pacifist flaw using the current logic. If anything it shouldn't give points because it's how ALL runners should act. You plan the run and try to avoid security, if you must take out guard x you stun him and tie him up, and ONLY when things go sour and they start shooting at you do you respond with deadly force. Why? Couple of reasons.

Escalation. Shooting them will force them to shoot back. If you don't pull a weapon immediately the gaurd might attempt to capture you (if he's really stupid, he won't call for back up so he can snag that promotion) for interrogation rather than open fire, which might allow you or another character to get the drop on them.

B & E is a significantly less severe crime than Murder, especially Mass Murder. Even Grand Larceny is a lesser crime, but half the time a corp isn't going to own up about what was stolen, or that the team succeeded at all, because publicly announcing that 'super experimental research project z' has gone missing won't do their stock prices any favours. Lesser crimes means less heat, which is a good thing.

So pacifist shouldn't be considered a 'bad' flaw because it's crippling, if anything, it should be considered a 'bad' flaw because it should be SOP. If it's REALLY a problem in people's games, I think the problem lies with the players and/or GM.
mfb
pacifism should not be SOP. SR is a dark, violent world. senseless violence is the norm, not the exception. going through a facility and stunning everyone, instead of killing them, will get you noticed because it's so unusual. yes, if you get caught, you might end up getting off with a lighter sentence--but you'll be more likely to get caught, because of your distinctive MO, plus the fact that living witnesses will have a better time providing info than dead ones. and the lighter sentence thing--that's assuming that the guys who catch you are interested in justice and the law, which is not the case a large part of the time.

as for escalation--again, SR is a dark, violent world. the guards are not going to say "oh, they're using squirts, we should be nice and use our tasers," they're going to slap a stimpatch on their buddy and shoot you in the face with real bullets, because that is their job. they're probably not even equipped with stun weapons at any location worth hitting.

maybe these things are not true in your games, but they're true in almost every game i've seen run.
Kagetenshi
I'm pretty sure the first thing a security guard is going to think when they see a Runner using stun rounds is going to be from the following list:

"They're looking for hostages."
"They're looking for people to mindrape."
"They're looking for ritual sacrifices."
"They're looking for people to torture for information."
"They're suckers! Let's kill them quick and claim our bonus check."

~J
DuckEggBlue Omega
By less heat I don't mean lighter sentences, I mean you won't be a priority for groups like LS, which means they're less likely to hunt you down in the first place. And avoiding security mean exactly that, avoiding, not running through a facility stunning everyone. As for corps, espionage is a part of everyday business and there's little point going after a team since they'll have passed on the package by the time you find them and they probably don't know anything anyway. Having to rehire and retrain your entire security staff every time there's an security breach is just plain annoying though, not to mention the costs of payouts to the families of the deceased.

And seriously, I like to think of SR being a lot more grey than something like DnD. Saying "Killing these guys is okay, besause it's the the norm and it's dark and violent" isn't any different to saying "Killing these guys is okay, because I cast 'Know Allignment' and they're Evil". As you said, it's a personal preference thing, and unless things like racism, domestic violence and drug use factor heavily in your campaigns, I prefer my SR to not be futuristic hack and slash.
hyzmarca
In the Sixth World, life is cheap. Most aren't even worth the price of a bullet wageslaves are more expendable than the goods that they produce. The fact is that many people play it so that theft is, in fact, a more serious crime than murder even if the law says otherwise. Murder doesn't really become more than petty vandalism until you kill someone important or someone loved by someone important. The cogs in the machine are always replaceable.

Morality and consequences are separate things and should always be separate. I think we'd all agree that there should be no legal consequences for slitting the throat of a five-year-old barrens street-whore because you don't want to pay her two nuyen for a rather mediocre blowjob, but I doubt that anyone except for an egoist would assert that there is anything remotely moral about it.

Kagetenshi
Avoiding security is very difficult and complex. It's worth doing while going into a run, but to sneak your way back out is almost always more trouble than it's worth—shooting your way out will keep your enemy unbalanced most of the time and generally have better results.

Put it this way. You've stolen the package. You're in the office building. What's easier, hiding until midnight, then BASE jumping off the side of the building, making sure to clear the fence, and getting out that way, or just shooting everyone in the lobby on your way out and being gone within two minutes?

Please take that situation as representative. I'm a little tired to be constructing The Perfect Situation, and you should get my idea anyway, hopefully.

~J
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Angelone)
In some situations I can see using nonlethal damage, but look at how much more expensive those options you listed are to the good ole Predator + reg ammo. Now granted you aren't going to always use that combo, prefer AP ammo personally.

Only the Gamma-Scopalamine route is all that much more expensive. Taser darts are not that expensive, and a Predator is a poor substitute for a grenade in situations that a grenade is called for.

One of the major advantages of the Pulsar route is that you don't have to roll four net successes to stage it up to a one shot drop scenario. You can take a guy with a 2-3 in pistols and fairly reliably drop goons in one shot owing to the fact that you don't have to have four net successes to stage up to D. One net success will usually suffice. Remember, not everyone is a Street Samurai, especially not pacifists. Mini-grenade launchers with a range finder are similarly skill efficient.

QUOTE (Angelone)
The grenade pistol is a baaaad example, sure it can be done but think of the heat it would bring down on you. "Oh my god, call Lonestar that pyscho is shooting grenades at people."

As opposed to a guy with an SMG spraying on full auto, or a sammy running around gutting people, or blowing their heads off at long range with pistol? I'm betting most people are going to freak right the hell out either way.

About the biggest difference in response I would expect is that a concussion grenade can't be made subtle with a sound supressor.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Stun Damage is all well and good until someone pulls out the hundred-pack of high-rating stimpatches. (...)

shrug, any kind of attack has counters. Stun damage isn't unique in this respect.
mfb
QUOTE (DuckEggBlueOmega)
As you said, it's a personal preference thing, and unless things like racism, domestic violence and drug use factor heavily in your campaigns, I prefer my SR to not be futuristic hack and slash.

they do, and using real bullets doesn't make a game hack and slash. using rubber bullets doesn't make the game not hack and slash--you can still go full-auto with an LMG, toss grenades everywhere, and generally make a huge mess of things while armed with less-lethal measures. for that matter, sneaking ninja-like through the compound and slipping out with no one the wiser isn't really any less hack and slash than going through with fangs out. you're just rolling a different skill when you encounter enemies.
DuckEggBlue Omega
For starters, I didn't say Pacifism should absolutely be SOP, I said IF ANYTHING that was a better reason for disallowing the flaw than 'it cripples your character'. It doesn't, yes, your exit will be more difficult but it's a flaw, it's meant to makes thing more difficult.

As for the setting remarks, it's not about morality and consequences, it's a matter of context and consistency. You DO NOT get to kill half a dozen or so fathers, husbands, brothers or sons who were only trying to support their family and shake it off under the argument 'life is cheap' or 'the setting is dark and violent' then ask the GM to stop describing how your next door neighbour or another PC is beating his kids again because it makes you 'uncomfortable'. Like I said, if you play with domestic violence, drugs etc because your campaigns really are that dark, great, more power to you. But if you don't, and the people I play with wouldn't for the most part, and I honestly think your average player is the same, then to maintain consistency, life isn't quite so cheap as it might otherwise be.
mfb
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)
...then to maintain consistency, life isn't quite so cheap as it might otherwise be.

that's not true. there can be a difference between what the world is actually like, and what the GM and players are comfortable describing. players, in general, are jaded when it comes to in-game killing. they are less jaded, and more likely to be uncomfortable, when it comes to beating wives, using drugs, and so on. therefore, in order to maintain a game that is fun for everyone, most games are less likely to include domestic violence and drug abuse than they are to include lots of regular violence. the presence of excessive violence implies the presence of all the other stuff that comes with a world where life is cheap. just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. i've never had an immortal elf in any game i've ever run or played; that doesn't mean they're not there.

personally, i'm currently playing a guy who's been known to give his girlfriend a shiner now and then. it's kinda interesting to play a character i don't actually like.
Ravor
And besides, as a DM, if I don't make my players uncomfortable with the facts of life in the dark and broken world that is Shadowrun that to their characters is just the way things are and isn't worth getting upset over then I'm just not doing the genre justice. cyber.gif
DuckEggBlue Omega
It's absolutely true, for me. Once again, I prefer SR to be a more consistent shade of grey, regardless of how dark that shade may be. Killing or not killing doesn't make a game hack and slash, you're right there, but the lack of moral conflict between 'the dungeon crawl' or 'facility breach' and the rest of the setting DOES.

EDIT
@Ravor
That is exactly my point... sort of.
mfb
again, that's not necessarily true. you can run a very complex, very character-driven campaign in which the characters use normal RPG levels of violence to achieve their goals, and never touch on uncomfortable subjects.

consistency is a fine thing. i prefer it, myself. but if it will detract from a game, then it doesn't belong in that game. that doesn't necessarily make the game hack and slash.
Angelone
I never said anything about not using grenades when grenades are called for. The point I was trying to make and looking back at my post did so poorly, was what's going to bring more "looks" at your character walking down the street, into a bar, or fending off gangers with a heavy pistol or a grenade pistol? That was the point I was trying to make against the grenade pistol.

I am all for using whatever works the best, but as was already posted lethal measures seem more better most of the time. Less witnesses, harder to heal, etc.
ElFenrir
The killing/not killing dilemma in SR has always been pretty interesting in our games. We had one character, a big game hunter played by my friend, who hunted awakened critters often, but never, in the entire time, of a year and a half long game, killed one character.

I can see the arguments for and against. A little more for, but some against definately. And i don't mean pacifist, i just mean using stunning methods when at all possible. (I believe pacifists wont even kill critters, or choose not too. Total wont even want to HARM anything, let alone kill it, if i recall the flaws correctly.)

For: Leave less people wanting revenge. If you kill a bunch of guards, thats a possible bunch of family members/friends/close mates/etc that might want revenge on you. Stun them and its less likely.

However, stunning a bunch of guards leaves a bunch of guards that MAYBE know what you look like and can grab you. However, as mentioned the corp might want to keep the whole thing quiet, making it not so bad.

Even on a rare basis, leaving the living can indeed cause you problems in another unmentioned way; guards who are knocked out when the stuff is grabbed are labeled as incompitent stooges and either A. Fired(more than likely) or even rarely, B. Killed anyway(for a hardass, uber evil corp). In B's case, its no longer the groups problem. In A's case, however, said guards might try to find them again later. Keep in mind these scenarios are probably a bit rarer in general.

Problem is sometimes with the Pacifist flaws is how they are portrayed. While Pacifist indeed is workable, most Total Pacifist characters are portrayed as fanatics who push their beliefs on the entire damn team. I, personally, am borderline total pacifist IRL, the only thing keeping me at the line is the fact i like meat and smash certain bugs on sight. BUT, i dont go forcing others there. I don't see why a Face/Social/Info gatherer type team member can't be on a team and do their thing when necessary, they dont HAVE to actually be in the building when it all goes down...and they dont HAVE to force the rest of the team into their viewpoint, either. Total Pacifists are like ninja characters, they CAN be done well, but it's damned rare. This is why i typically, as a GM, worry if i see this flaw, because 9 out of every 10 are the equivalent of televangelists. nyahnyah.gif

And as for flaws having to change how a GM runs a game...it doesnt have to be so. A Flaw is usually considered a free ride if it doesnt come up every damn session. It doesn't have to be this way. It could simply come up at inoppurtune times during certain sessions. They sure wont be free rides, but at the same time they won't get in the GM's way of a story. If a character is allergic to Soy, it sort of naturally comes up every week and every time they have to pay extra for lifestyle or go out of their way to find a place with real food for a meet. A GM need not make every bad guy switch his bullets for Platinum for a character with a Platinum allergy, one corp boss could have an obsession with platinum plated things(hey, those bosses can be eccentric), certain ware might have to cost a lot more to get the platinum parts replaced with something similar, the characters girlfriend/boyfriend might love platnium, certain corp workers have dogtags plated with platinum the PCs must wear)...but it need not come up every session to be a flaw.

EDIT: And of course, kind of going along with the top, i still think the worst kind are those that when they DO come up, it typically results in the death of a character/team. Those are the ones i find that end up as free rides more often.
Angelone
I don't remember this being mentioned yet, oddly enough, but I really hate the vindictive flaw. I honestly see no reason that it should be in the game. It's an excuse to be an asshole (at best) and go around killing people (the usual). There is no way in my mind anyone with that flaw would have survived into adulthood. They would have mouthed off to or attacked the wrong person and would have been left dead in a gutter somewhere.

EDIT

For: Leave less people wanting revenge. If you kill a bunch of guards, thats a possible bunch of family members/friends/close mates/etc that might want revenge on you. Stun them and its less likely.

I don't like this statement. So you kill a guard, what are the above people going to do? How are they going to get their revenge against a shadowrunner? Someone they don't know anything about. Sure they might want revenge, but there is less than a snowballs chance in hell that they will get it.
nezumi
QUOTE (tisoz)
Actually, no. The 2 examples in Awakenings - Prairie Dog and looking further, Fire Bringer - look quite similar to the examples of GLaKI & UaDC as they appear in SRComp. If we had gotten a new SRComp, I could see them being printed along with all the other E&Fs, just as both totems were printed in the pertinent updated sourcebook.

I'm really not following your point. No what?

No, Prairie Dog does NOT look similar to GLaKI. For instance, Prairie dog is a totem, whereas GLaKI is an edge. Prairie Dog is mentioned with the other totems, so if you're not interested in designing your own totem, you'd still see it listed, whereas GLaKI is not. If you're arguing that GLaKI not being included is something that would be fixed with a new version of the Companion, well that's just speculation, and to be difficult I would argue that GLaKI would not be included in the chart at the end, or they'd 'design' a more balanced edge as their example if they reprinted.
Ravor
QUOTE (Angelone)
I don't like this statement. So you kill a guard, what are the above people going to do? How are they going to get their revenge against a shadowrunner? Someone they don't know anything about. Sure they might want revenge, but there is less than a snowballs chance in hell that they will get it.

I agree, this is one example of where Blackjack's line of reasoning is wacked. Even in the Sixth World very few people will have the drive or skills to either seek revenge or hire someone else to do it for them. But on the rare occasion that the Runner's victim does then it can make for a decent story.
ElFenrir
Heh, should have been more specific and said it COULD happen...but not that it WILL. But, IMO, it's a possibility...i think a big part of it(vengance) has to do with how careful or sloppy the PCs are. If the PCs don't bother with watching out for security cameras, etc, or disguising themselves well, they have a bigger chance of being caught(by everyone involved). In which case it turns into the ''pcs were a bit dumb and have it coming.'' Or the families and people involved were a bit higher on the power scale and can afford such things.

But no, not every single family member is going to try to seek revenge. But keeping the IDEA on the table can help the players keep a bit of that paranoia about them, IMO. wink.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (nezumi @ May 8 2007, 07:25 AM)
QUOTE (tisoz @ May 7 2007, 09:22 PM)
Actually, no.  The 2 examples in Awakenings - Prairie Dog and looking further, Fire Bringer - look quite similar to the examples of GLaKI & UaDC as they appear in SRComp.  If we had gotten a new SRComp, I could see them being printed along with all the other E&Fs, just as both totems were printed in the pertinent updated sourcebook.

I'm really not following your point. No what?

QUOTE (nezumi)

No, they do not appear as other than examples in Awakenings. In later editions, the examples are incorporated as legitimate entries.

Also, you are claiming it some powergamer player trying to get one past a feeble GM, when in fact, the example states the GM is suggesting the Edge and also creates the flip side Flaw that pertains to no fictional player even in the example.

Your entire arguement hinges on the editors not wasting valuable space in the same book re-printing the same words. I just pointed out the publishers have done this in the past by citing Awakening's new totem examples, where they do not appear as actual totems until the place you cited in MitS.

You, as GM, can decide to exclude whatever from your game, but GLaKI & UaDC are canon E&F. Btw, you neglected to cite any creation examples from any SR product that are not canon.

QUOTE (nezumi)
and to be difficult

This seems to be the true problem.
nezumi
QUOTE (tisoz)
No, they do not appear as other than examples in Awakenings. In later editions, the examples are incorporated as legitimate entries.

Ah, I've got you now. For some reason when I read 'Awakenings' I thought you meant MitS. That said, Awakenings was printed in 1995 for a completely different edition (2nd), whereas Companion was printed in 1999, the same year as MitS. I see no reason to assume the rules for a book printed for a different edition apply, especially when contrasted with its replacement book that was printed for the same edition in the same year.

Also, you are claiming it some powergamer player trying to get one past a feeble GM, when in fact, the example states the GM is suggesting the Edge and also creates the flip side Flaw that pertains to no fictional player even in the example.

The comment about showing how GMs can be push-overs was a joke.

Your entire arguement hinges on the editors not wasting valuable space in the same book re-printing the same words.

No, my argument hinges on the editors being consistent between and within books, which is one of the core rules of editing. GLaKI is not consistent with the other edges in its placement, description or listing, therefore I do not assume it is equal as an edge.

Obviously, you as GM can choose to make them Canon, since they're already there for you, but that is YOUR decision as the GM, it isn't one that is clearly supported by the books.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ May 8 2007, 12:53 AM)
shrug, any kind of attack has counters.  Stun damage isn't unique in this respect.

The problem is that stun damage has easy and common counters. I notice that people don't use stimulants very often, but they are cheap, reliable, easy to obtain, and in the BBB.
The rules let them be common so they should be common. Of course, mages have difficulty using them with the risk of magic loss.

In fact, the only limitation of a rating ten stimulant against a pure stun damage character is that you can only use it nine times due to the +1 damage rule.
mfb
even mages don't have that much of a problem with them. if you keep the rating of your stimpatch low, say around 4, you've got a very low chance of ever failing the test that makes you roll for magic loss.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012