Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Bullets!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HappyDaze
OK, this is pretty cheesy, but hear me out.

You need a Magician following a Possession Tradition with some Enchanting. Prepare the bullets as vessels with Enchanting. Handmade bullets will be best, but will require the Armorer skill and likely restrict you to standard ammuntion. Now you have potential 'magic bullets'.

Prior to use, you will neeed to summon Watchers. Don't worry about much of a duration - 2 hours should often be far more than you'll need. Have your Watchers use Possession to enter the specially prepared bullets.

The Watchers have 8 dice ([Force 1] x 2 +6 = cool.gif and need to get 3 hits for most ammuntion, or 2 if you used handmade rounds (in which caser, just buy the two hits and be happy). Now you have dual natured bullets.

According to Street Magic, such dual natured weapons inflict normal damage (optionally, Force/2 for items not typically used as weapons, but this won't be the case) to Astral targets, and they'll cut right through Immunity to Normal Weapons in any case.

Best part... the Magician can hand the bullets to his totally mundane friend and let him 'pack heavy' against spirits while the Magician relies on other ways to deal with them.

So, legal?

BTW, this first occured to me as something to do with arrows fired from a troll's bow.
WhiskeyMac
No, not legal or possible. If it was that easy then it would have cropped up in canon use by now.
JavaLamp
*shrug* isn't 'anti-spirit' the purpose for rocksalt ammo?
HappyDaze
No, not legal or possible.

Tell me why it is not legal or possible.

If it was that easy then it would have cropped up in canon use by now.

This is a cop-out. Use the RAW to show me why this is not legal/possible. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be.
Jaid
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
No, not legal or possible.

Tell me why it is not legal or possible.

If it was that easy then it would have cropped up in canon use by now.

This is a cop-out. Use the RAW to show me why this is not legal/possible. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be.

because
QUOTE (SM p. 34 @ "possession-based traditions")
As such, all spirits conjured by magicians of a possession-based
magical tradition replace the Materialization power in the spirits’
statistics with Possession. Otherwise, all normal rules for
summoned or bound spirits remain in effect.

and
QUOTE (SR4 p. 295 @ "Watcher Spirits")
Watcher spirits only exist
on the astral plane (though
they may manifest on the physical).
note that they can manifest, but not *materialize*

as they have no materialize power, you cannot replace that power with the possession power. therefore, watcher spirits cannot (in SR4) possess a bullet.

that being said, i'd let you do it with a regular spirit. it's a terrible deal though: you can either have the spirit possess the bullet (a service) and be shot at the enemy (effectively engaging in a single instance of astral combat), dealing damage once... or you can have the spirit attack the enemy until one of them dies or is disrupted. not a very hard choice, is it?
hobgoblin
Does the "killed by a thousand bee stings" tactic still works? As in, send in a whole bunch of watchers and use friends in melee rules to help them survive and do damage.
HappyDaze
Ah, yes. I was assuming the use of the following optional rule from Street Magic:

Optional Rule: Corps Cadavres and Living Dolls
The watchers of possession traditions are able to interact
with the physical world to a much greater degree than the
watchers summoned by other traditions. These watchers have
the power of Possession (p. 101) and the skills of Perception 1
and Artisan 1. A dead body possessed by a watcher is called a
corps cadavre. A homunculi possessed by a watcher is called a
living doll. A watcher’s physical movement is 10/25.

Without this optional rule, you can still do it with 'normal' summoned spirits - as you pointed out, and it can actually be a very effective use of a low Force Spirit. A Force 1 Spirit that can possess an arrow or shotgun shell can provide a very effective way for mundanes to engage Spirits.
Jaid
regardless of what it is possessing, one astral/dual natured entity attacking another astral/dual natured energy via the astral plane already has a game mechanic: astral combat.

what i would allow is an anchoring focus of some sort (possibly the casing of a bullet, which you could repack) which triggers when the bullet is fired, and attacks the target of the bullet with some sort of spell (the focus is dual natured, after all, and exists on the astral...)

but that's just a thought nyahnyah.gif

[edit] hmmm... you appear to be right about using them as bullets... personally, i'd use force /2 (round up) as the damage code instead of standard for the object... velocity is different on the astral, everything travels at supersonic speeds. still, at least it's something, and it could be staged up. [/edit]
HappyDaze
[edit] hmmm... you appear to be right about using them as bullets... personally, i'd use force /2 (round up) as the damage code instead of standard for the object... velocity is different on the astral, everything travels at supersonic speeds. still, at least it's something, and it could be staged up. [/edit]

That might be best against an astral target, but against a dual natured target - such as a materialized Spirit - you're just going to use the bullet's DV and enjoy the fact that you can safely ignore the Immunity to Normal Weapons.
hyzmarca
Can I get a page number that says possessed weapons bypass immunity to normal weapons with their own damage code?
HappyDaze
Street Magic, page 87.
Spirits possessing or inhibiting inanimate vessels won’t be
able to run around or throw a punch, but they may make full use
of their powers. As they are dual-natured, they may also be used
as weapons against astral forms (inflicting damage as appropriate
to the object type, or spirit’s Force ÷ 2, round up). For additional
effects and details refer to p. 101.

Also, look at this.
Immunity to Normal Weapons: This immunity applies
to all weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept
or critter powers).

Anything that can damage an astral form - in this case the effect of a 'critter power' - certainly would be considered magical.
hyzmarca
Okay. Using weapons against astral forms requires the Astral Combat skill, which is a type of melee combat. One cannot justifiably use ranged weapons with the Astral Combat skill and ranged skills cannot be used in Astral Combat. So, one cannot use dual-natured bullets against purely astral forms.

mfb
you would not have magical ammunition. you would have a delivery system for making attacks with low-force spirits. the astral plane does not have the same physics as the physical plane--just because two astral entities run into each other at high speed does not mean one of them is going to get hurt. shooting an astral spirit with a bullet that's got another spirit inside it will, at best, allow the spirit in the bullet to make a single attack as it bounces off the spirit you shoot with it.

edit: blah, i see that's another thing they've semi-changed. i'd still go with f/2, at best, a) because of the physics thing and b) because it really is pretty cheesy.
HappyDaze
Okay. Using weapons against astral forms requires the Astral Combat skill, which is a type of melee combat. One cannot justifiably use ranged weapons with the Astral Combat skill and ranged skills cannot be used in Astral Combat. So, one cannot use dual-natured bullets against purely astral forms.

That is not entirely correct, and is quite misleading in this case.

If the attacker is astral then they need Astral Combat, but a physical attacker - including a dual natured attacker - can and does still use standard attack Attribute + Skill combinations (Agility + Longarms in the case of a Spirit-possessed shotgun slug). This is also how an attack with a Weapon Foci is resolved if a physical attacker is fighting a Spirit, or how a dual natured creature fights with its natural weapons.
HappyDaze
edit: blah, i see that's another thing they've semi-changed. i'd still go with f/2, at best, a) because of the physics thing and b) because it really is pretty cheesy.

That is one of the listed options, but they also give another - presumably to be used in situations where the object is already given a DV. Like I said, I'd be all for an astral target ony taking F/2, but a manifest Spirit would be hit by the bullet and take the weapon's DV while the 'magic' of the bullet (Magic = Force) would knock down the Immunity to Normal Weapons and allow the bullet a real chance to inflict harm upon the Spirit.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SR4 p.184)
Astrally perceiving and dual natured characters use their [...] Willpower+Astral Combat skill to fight wholly astral entities.

And hitting something upside the head isn't a critter power. It won't bypass immunity to normal weapons any more than a physical punch from an astrally perceiving mage would.
Garrowolf
I had a PC that was a Gunslinger Adept. He had adept skill in pistols. He also had basically a ranged killing hands adept power with a limitation that he had to use a set of old Colt 45s that belonged to his grandfather. They were not really foci but he thought that they were. He thought that the guns were what was magical. Basically he could hit spirits with the guns at the ranged killing hands attack range only. It made it short range but a cool effect.
HappyDaze
OK, fair enough with the Astral Combat thing, but it's still meaningless in 90% of what I'm trying to do - kill manifested Spirits (along with other creatures with Immunity to Normal Weapons) with a ranged weapon attack.

And hitting something upside the head isn't a critter power. It won't bypass immunity to normal weapons any more than a physical punch from an astrally perceiving mage would.

OK, let's get technical. Natural Weapon quite clearly is a critter power. As a critter power, it is listed as ignoring Immunity to Natural Weapons. Guardian and Beast Spirits can gain Natural Weapon and Possession of objects still allows full use of all powers. Now if you 'fastball special' that possessed object it should retain the ability to be a magic weapon.
Ophis
I'd possibly allow this but would try to remember that the bullet is going to be heavily damaged when it hits, hell when its fired. This will hurt the watcher in the bullet, and to my mind counts as an abuse of the spirit. So sure you can have magic bullets but all your spirits use edge to resist summoning and binding, have a nice day.
Aaron
I think it's a clever idea. Of course, I think since the bullets are not being wielded by the magician, but rather thrown at high velocity, it's the watcher making the attack, and not the magician or the gun. But still clever.
hobgoblin
heh, i keep envisioning the dum dum bullets from "who framed roger rabbit" wink.gif

or maybe this:
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/630/630874p1.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/602/602035p1.html
Lagomorph
well it's either that, or disrupt a spirit in one go with a narrow full auto burst, preferably with apds or ex-ex.

I think that magic bullets are probably against the flavor of the game, but nearly required to help even out the mages-can-never-be-countered aspect.
hobgoblin
problem is that yet again magic is needed to counter magic...

as in, in the long run there is nothing mundane that can match magic...
Aaron
Rating 2 Wired Reflexes: 30,000¥
Rating 2 Muscle Replacement: 10,000¥
Smartlink, Ingram Smartgun, and a full clip of APDS: 1,874¥
Geeking the Mage: Priceless
the_dunner
Don't forget:
QUOTE (SR4 p.185)
A character can maintain a number of watchers at once
equal to her Charisma.

So, most mages aren't going to be able to provide even a full clip of these, assuming the GM allows it. It's a neat trick, but if the gun is firing bursts or FA, you're going to run out of such spirits awfully quickly.
Konsaki
I see an Elf Shaman with a Ruger Warhawk doing this at chargen easily.
It doesnt seem too overpowered (right now) and seems like an interesting use of magic and dumb (not computerized) technology, perfectly up the alley of some magi-tech corp R&D.
Red
Even if a bullet is possessed, or is the focal point of some kind of mana warp or taint, I still fail to see why it should bypass immunity to normal weapons. I think it relies on gross assumptions with regard to the interaction of "physics" between the astral and material plane. F=MxA as we understand it simply isn't relevant when the astral plane and material plane interact.

All the gunpowder doing is propelling a dual natured something (at high speed) into another dual natured something. Thus there are two means of conflict resolution. The first is for astral combat, and the second is for physical combat. I don't believe astral combat is supported here because astral combat isn't initiated when two entities merely come into contact. As for physical combat immunity to normal weapon rules are well defined for bullets.

While I understand the desire for anti-spirit bullets, SR has a very strong history which explicitly states that magical bullets, arrows, etc... have never been possible.

But not all hope is lost. There are a variety of mundane ways to deal with high rating spirits. Burst or full auto stick-n-shock is more than sufficient for most GMs, and more than sufficient for most spirits. (I know of some GM's that rule that taser effects don't apply to spirits.)

There may be room for a counter-argument, but you would need to step outside of Shadowrun and reach into Earthdawn lore. In Earthdawn adepts could produce magical arrows, and mages could "teleport" through netherwalking. However it would be a stretch, and it would really vary based on the GM.

As it is, I haven't read any material which supports the idea of using a possessed bullet or crossbow bolt as a weapon which bypasses immunity to normal weapons. And even if it did I'd be inclined to say that it was only as powerful as the possessing spirit, and completely ignore the properties of the bullet/gun.

When it is all said and done, just go with what is good for the GM, the players, and the game. Screw dumpshock. =)
Ancient History
kill manifested Spirits (along with other creatures with Immunity to Normal Weapons) with a ranged weapon attack.

Let's back up a moment here and check our sanity.

A manifest spirit cannot be attacked physically, at all, and does not possess Immunity to Normal Weapons (p.184, SR4). A materialized spirit can be attacked physically and does possess Immunity to Normal Weapons (p.289, SR4).

Now let me take a moment to explain why dual-natured bullets wouldn't work.

Possessed object vessels can be used to attack astral forms-and here they have an advantage over, say, a dagger enchanted as a power focus which cannot be used this way-following the rules for Astral Combat. A bullet, however, is not a weapon: it is ammunition. To use a bullet as a weapon you'd have to go up and hit the astral form with it.

Even if you are astrally perceiving, you can't hit purely astral targets with your dual-natured bullets, because astral combat uses the Astral Combat Skill and using firearms requires the requisite Combat Active Skill (Automatics, Exotic Ranged Weapon, Heavy weapons, Longarms, or Pistols). You could hit a dual-natured critter or materialized spirit with it, but the bullet would not bypass the Immunity to Normal Weapons because you would be attacking the spirit or critter solely on the physical plane (the only plane you could use your Combat Active Skill).

To illustrate this point, let us assume an adept and a materialized spirit are in combat. The adept, who is astrally perceiving, can choose to attack the spirit five ways: a straightforward physical attack (which does not bypass the spirit's Immunity to Normal Weapons) using a Combat Active Skill, a physical Attack of Will (p.94, SM, which does bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons) using a Combat Active Skill, a straightforward Astral Combat attack (bypass by going through the Astral) using the Astral Combat Skill, an astral Attack of Will (bypassing by going through the Astral /and/ being an Attack of Will), and a straightforward physical attack using a weapon focus, killing hands, or another adept power (bypass).

It should be evident that the adept must choose how to attack the spirit, and the way he attacks determines whether or not he bypasses the Immunity to Normal Weapons. An unarmed, dual-natured adept could only bypass damage reduction by attacking through the Astral. As stated previously, you cannot use firearms in astral combat, so dual-natured bullets are, to all intents and purposes, only as useful as regular ammunition, because you can only attack with them at range on the physical.
HappyDaze
So, most mages aren't going to be able to provide even a full clip of these, assuming the GM allows it. It's a neat trick, but if the gun is firing bursts or FA, you're going to run out of such spirits awfully quickly.

This is why it's best used with shotguns, sniper rifles, and bows.
HappyDaze
Let's back up a moment here and check our sanity.

OK.
A manifest spirit cannot be attacked physically, at all, and does not possess Immunity to Normal Weapons (p.184, SR4). A materialized spirit can be attacked physically and does possess Immunity to Normal Weapons (p.289, SR4).

Oops. You're right. I said manifested when I should have said materialized. My intention should have been obvious.

Now let me take a moment to explain why dual-natured bullets wouldn't work.

OK.

Possessed object vessels can be used to attack astral forms-and here they have an advantage over, say, a dagger enchanted as a power focus which cannot be used this way-following the rules for Astral Combat.

OK.
A bullet, however, is not a weapon: it is ammunition. To use a bullet as a weapon you'd have to go up and hit the astral form with it.

A bullet is still an object, and it is an object imparted with a DV when it is fired. No where is it written that an object possessed must be used as a melee weapoin/attack.

Even if you are astrally perceiving, you can't hit purely astral targets with your dual-natured bullets, because astral combat uses the Astral Combat Skill and using firearms requires the requisite Combat Active Skill (Automatics, Exotic Ranged Weapon, Heavy weapons, Longarms, or Pistols).

There could be an argument here, but I'm not really interested in affecting astral targets so much as dual natured targets, so I'm going to skip this for now.

You could hit a dual-natured critter or materialized spirit with it, but the bullet would not bypass the Immunity to Normal Weapons because you would be attacking the spirit or critter solely on the physical plane (the only plane you could use your Combat Active Skill).

Wrong. You attack with the object. The object is dual natured. It will ignore the Immunity just as ranged Natural Weapons would (yeah, look it up Natural Weapons can be ranged and would ignore ItNW as well).

To illustrate this point, let us assume an adept and a materialized spirit are in combat. The adept, who is astrally perceiving, can choose to attack the spirit five ways: a straightforward physical attack (which does not bypass the spirit's Immunity to Normal Weapons) using a Combat Active Skill, a physical Attack of Will (p.94, SM, which does bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons) using a Combat Active Skill, a straightforward Astral Combat attack (bypass by going through the Astral) using the Astral Combat Skill, an astral Attack of Will (bypassing by going through the Astral /and/ being an Attack of Will), and a straightforward physical attack using a weapon focus, killing hands, or another adept power (bypass).

Using this reasoning, the bullet should still be capable of doing Force/2 (round up) since that is one of its options - the one that seems most 'astral' of the two given. However, it could also be ruled that Possessed items fall into the smae category as Natural Weapons, Weapon Foci, and Killing Hands - allowing full weapon damage against such targets and bypassing their ItNW. The section on Possession with items is not well defined, but such a ruling is certaily possible.

It should be evident that the adept must choose how to attack the spirit, and the way he attacks determines whether or not he bypasses the Immunity to Normal Weapons. An unarmed, dual-natured adept could only bypass damage reduction by attacking through the Astral.

Ahem, Killing Hands without using Astral Combat? Argument that Possessed objects can act in a similar manner...

As stated previously, you cannot use firearms in astral combat, so dual-natured bullets are, to all intents and purposes, only as useful as regular ammunition, because you can only attack with them at range on the physical.

Again, the RAW is not really specific on this. It could be ruled either way. My approach is no less valid than yours.
Aaron
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
Using this reasoning, the bullet should still be capable of doing Force/2 (round up) since that is one of its options - the one that seems most 'astral' of the two given.

Wouldn't that be 1?

Ancient History
A bullet is still an object, and it is an object imparted with a DV when it is fired. No where is it written that an object possessed must be used as a melee weapoin/attack.

It /is/ however, specifically stated that no known ranged weapon works in astral combat.

Wrong. You attack with the object. The object is dual natured. It will ignore the Immunity just as ranged Natural Weapons would (yeah, look it up Natural Weapons can be ranged and would ignore ItNW as well).

Incorrect. If an unarmed but dual-natured critter attacks another dual-natured critter, it has to decide to attack on either the astral or the physical, and the nature of the choice can decide whether the attack is magical or not.

Using this reasoning, the bullet should still be capable of doing Force/2 (round up) since that is one of its options - the one that seems most 'astral' of the two given. However, it could also be ruled that Possessed items fall into the smae category as Natural Weapons, Weapon Foci, and Killing Hands - allowing full weapon damage against such targets and bypassing their ItNW. The section on Possession with items is not well defined, but such a ruling is certaily possible.

Aside from the fact that you completely ignored the example-I don't even know why you quoted it-as stated, you would need to attack a subject astrally with the bullet, which you cannot do because the astral combat rules don't allow you to use firearms on the Astral.

Ahem, Killing Hands without using Astral Combat? Argument that Possessed objects can act in a similar manner...

The given example was for subject /not/ using Killing Hands or the equivalent, because an unarmed dual-natured metahuman is the closest canon example to a dual-natured non-weapon focus weapon.

Again, the RAW is not really specific on this. It could be ruled either way. My approach is no less valid than yours.

Except that the rules very specifically state no known ranged weapon-which would include firearms-can be used in astral combat.
HappyDaze
The given example was for subject /not/ using Killing Hands or the equivalent, because an unarmed dual-natured metahuman is the closest canon example to a dual-natured non-weapon focus weapon.

You very clearly noted that a possessed object does not follow the usual rules for a dual natured object (you used the power focus in the form of a dagger). I would say that your equating it back to a 'normal' dual nature is an error on your part.

you would need to attack a subject astrally with the bullet, which you cannot do because the astral combat rules don't allow you to use firearms on the Astral.

This is not necessary with either Killing Hands, Weapon Foci, or Natural Weapons. I contend that an attack with a possessed object falls into the same ruleset as those attack forms.

Except that the rules very specifically state no known ranged weapon-which would include firearms-can be used in astral combat.

I'll make this plain. It isn't astral combat. It's normal combat with a weapon that is effectively magical - much like Killing Hands, Weapon Foci, and Natural Weapons.

As above - this is not astral combat it is a way to bypass Immunityto Normal Weapons.

Besides that, the key word is 'known'. Your line of thinking comes from SR4's BBB - which has been supplimented by Street Magic. Street Magic allows some strange shit that you couldn't do before it came out. Such techniqes were not 'known' at the time.

Of course, a critter can have Natual Weapons as a ranged attack (using the Exotic Ranged Weapon skill), and as a critter power it will ignore ItNW. It's quite possible that other ways to create such oddities - including my 'magic bullet' plan - can likewise bypass ItNW.
HappyDaze
I'd possibly allow this but would try to remember that the bullet is going to be heavily damaged when it hits, hell when its fired. This will hurt the watcher in the bullet, and to my mind counts as an abuse of the spirit. So sure you can have magic bullets but all your spirits use edge to resist summoning and binding, have a nice day.

With a watcher it might be damged, but with more powerful spirits, your bullet is going to be very difficult to damage (add the Force to it's 'Body' or whatever it uses to resist damage + ItNW).

As for the 'screw the player' bit. Well, to each their own style. I woudn't do it like that, and my players would probably thank me for not being a dick.
HappyDaze
I think it's a clever idea. Of course, I think since the bullets are not being wielded by the magician, but rather thrown at high velocity, it's the watcher making the attack, and not the magician or the gun. But still clever.

Thank you. I would argue that the Spirit is incapable of movement when in possession of an object. As a bullet, it is being directed by the skill of the shooter.

BTW, while I will be allowing this as a possibility in my game, I will not be using the optional rule that grants Possession to Watchers. This means that it will have to be done with full-on summoned Spirits, so the payoff is considerable lessened.
the_dunner
Going back to the most basic aspect of this, your first line of your first post was
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
OK, this is pretty cheesy,

So, let's accept for the moment that this is rules-lawyering. If that's the case, it really doesn't matter what other GMs have to say here. It only matters how you want to handle it in your home campaign.

If that's the case, then the next question is -- does it fit the fluff of the game world?

Grabbing SM, these are the listed Possession traditions:
Qabbalism, Witchcraft, and Voodoo.

Then, you need to look and see if it's appropriate for any of these traditions to do this. Case by case:

A Qabbalist? Absolutely not. They use golems, and they're not exactly into modern innovations. This would be completely out of character.

Witches? No, they're into the natural world. They, again, are focused on traditional mechanisms of magic. Possessing a bullet would be completely out of character for them.

Voudoun? If it's not a body, they're really not likely to possess it.

So, where's that leave it? Well, it doesn't seem to fit the game world and if it fit's the rules it's only through extensive rules lawyering.

Sounds to me like it's something you're welcome to do in your own campaign, but not something you should expect a lot of people to be accepting as a legitimate or appropriate game mechanic.
HappyDaze
problem is that yet again magic is needed to counter magic...

as in, in the long run there is nothing mundane that can match magic...

True. But now the mundane can sport a trusty one-shot provided by his buddy. Just place the (non-Watcher) bound Spirit on Remote Service and give it orders to destroy whatever it is fired against by leaving it's object after it is used. You could have it reenter the object afte the battle if you have sufficient services.
Ancient History
The sum of your obtuse argument is based on the assumption that the bullet, by virtue of being possessed, counts as a "magical weapon" for purposes of bypassing Immunity to Normal Weapons. This has been proven to not be the case, because it does not fall under the guidelines in the definition of the Immunity power given for a magical weapon. The text is very clear on this point:
Immunity to Normal Weapons: Th is immunity applies to all weapons that are not magical (weapon foci, spells, adept or critter powers). If the critter has the Allergy weakness, then the Immunity does not apply against non-magical attacks made using the allergen. (p.228, SR4)

An enchanted bullet of the type you describe is not a weapon focus, nor a spell, nor an adept power, nor is it a critter power. It is a magical good that is subject to the Possession power of the spirit, but that power is applied to the object and not the entity with Immunity to Normal Weapons.

You're trying hard to make something that almost works, but it doesn't quite. Not without twisting the rules.
HappyDaze
Grabbing SM, these are the listed Possession traditions:
Qabbalism, Witchcraft, and Voodoo.

Your stereotyping of the traditions mentioned shows short-sightedness, but it's really quite pointless since you can freely create your own traditions - including Possession traditions - and it wouldn't be hard to make a Chaos Magic variant that possesses technological items with spirits rather than using Materializing Spirits.
HappyDaze
The sum of your obtuse argument is based on the assumption that the bullet, by virtue of being possessed, counts as a "magical weapon" for purposes of bypassing Immunity to Normal Weapons.

That's right. Now you're catching on.

This has been proven to not be the case, because it does not fall under the guidelines in the definition of the Immunity power given for a magical weapon. The text is very clear on this point:

ItNW was written before Possession existed. I argue that possessed objects should be added to that list. This would not be the first time that something new has forced a revision of soething that came before.

Also, I contend that it's not my argumet that's obtuse, just you. Look for possibilities, not just ways to say 'no' to everything.
Ancient History
Take it from an old hand that's used to taking the rules to the limit. The rules don't hold on this one. Not quite. If you have to change or amend the rules to make it work, then it doesn't work. Maybe someday there'll be a FAQ or a bit of errata that'll tidy it up, but as it stands your enchanted bullet doesn't meet the requirements to bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons.
HappyDaze
Do whatever you like with your 'old hand' when I'm not around, but I'm not buying your smugness. You say I'm wrong, I say you're wrong, but I've been around gaming - and Shadowrun - long enough to know that what's written has a lot of wiggle room. Playing it like D&D 3.5 is a mistake because the rules will never be so complete (and hopelessly cumbersome).
Konsaki
QUOTE (bbb pg54)
If something in these rules doesn’t quite fi t or make sense to you, feel free to change it. If you come up with a game mechanic that you think works better—go for it!
When the rules get in the way of the story, ignore the rules and tell the story.
Spike
Wait: I need a clarification. You guys have been going on and on about dual nature vs. dual natured attacks... both in example and counter example.

Really, what does a conventional dual natured creature do when it 'eats' an astrally projecting mage or a spirit? It uses it's physical attacks, yeah? I mean, i don't know, magic stuff was never really my bag anyway.

So, a possessed bullet, dual natured by at least some definitions, still interacts with the astral like any other dual natured object does. Physically?

I mean, what does a (barghests are dual natured right? Or was it hell hounds? Both???) do when it, say, crosses a Ward? swats at a pesky astral mage that is bugging it?

I assume dual natured beasties normally avoid crossing wards, but do they 'bounce off' when thrown across them? Is the Ward 'real' to them? Thus would our dual natured bullet have to 'pierce' the barrier that isn't there for the mundane barrier?

If we agree that a spirit can inhabit a bullet via possession, then these are real, in game physics, questions that need to be resolved via 'in game physics' logic, not 'I think it sounds broken'.

HappyDaze
An excellent quote, Konsaki. In this case, a rules-fuzzy are like this almost rquires a ruling to be made by the GM. Not veryone will agree with my proposal, but it's there for those that wan't to try something a bit outside the usual while still remaining within the rough guidelines set by the rules.
HappyDaze
Wait: I need a clarification. You guys have been going on and on about dual nature vs. dual natured attacks... both in example and counter example.

O, I'll give it a try from my viewpoint.

Really, what does a conventional dual natured creature do when it 'eats' an astrally projecting mage or a spirit? It uses it's physical attacks, yeah? I mean, i don't know, magic stuff was never really my bag anyway.

I have it use Unarmed Combat. It sounds as though AH would have it use Astral Combat.

So, a possessed bullet, dual natured by at least some definitions, still interacts with the astral like any other dual natured object does. Physically?

I say yes.

I mean, what does a (barghests are dual natured right? Or was it hell hounds? Both???) do when it, say, crosses a Ward? swats at a pesky astral mage that is bugging it?

It uses its physical attributes to try and break the barrier. I would say that it also uses any applicable skill, such as Unarmed Combat.

I assume dual natured beasties normally avoid crossing wards, but do they 'bounce off' when thrown across them? Is the Ward 'real' to them? Thus would our dual natured bullet have to 'pierce' the barrier that isn't there for the mundane barrier?

Ward is solid to them both.

If we agree that a spirit can inhabit a bullet via possession, then these are real, in game physics, questions that need to be resolved via 'in game physics' logic, not 'I think it sounds broken'.

Agreed, but most of these seem intuitive to me. I'm pretty comfortable with the magic rules (not so good with the matrix/technomancer rules) and even with pushing/modifying them.
HappyDaze
Strictly speaking, RAW says a dual natured creature uses Astral Combat + Willpower to battle wholly astral entities (this would typically include wards).

However, most of the dual natured critters do not have Astral Combat, and it is not allowable to default on it. This means such creatures are totally ineffective at dealing with anything on the astral.

This is a pretty good reason for a houserule.
Ancient History
<shrug> Maybe they don't like fighting things they can't chew and digest. Maybe it'll show up in ther errata. In the meantime, there's nothing stopping a GM from giving a critter the Astral Combat Skill.

DigitEyez
Okay, lets forget whether this works or not.
We have a spirit.
We let it possess an object.
We create an explosion behind that object.
The spirit takes the appropriate damage and is very pissed off.
I don't think spirits would like to serve that mage again. They might start to use edge when they are summoned or use the Accident power to keep the gun from firing them. Also this seems awfully more complicated compared to just having a spirit take orders from a mundane teammate.
Spike
Well, having them not like bothering with pesky immaterial creatures would run counter to why Corp types keep them as after hours security... they can and will attack and 'eat' astral intruders almost instinctively... or so I read it way back in whatever edition it was I first noticed that whole bit about 'dual natured' guard dogs.

As for 'abusing' the spirits... I don't quite get it, particularly if you are using them, say, to possess steel shot. That stuff doesn't get so roughed up in firing and I thought spirits were pretty indifferent to physical stuff, even possessing spirits don't focus much on the state of their host unless they get something out of it, right?

Seems like a 'I think it's broken so I'll find a way to punish someone that tries it' mentality to me.

Me? I think it's impracticable on any real level, but cool anyway. biggrin.gif I can see some cliched swamp voodoo houngan with his 'spirit shotgun' totally in canon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012