Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix Rules Debate
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
The subscription list has a nigh infinite amount of slots but only System x 2 slots can be actively subscribed at once. I understand the meaning of the phrase "active subscription" to man that one device is sending information to another device during some quantity of time.

So then, if you were to maintain your maximum number of active subscriptions, by watching multiple video feeds or something, would you then be immune to hacking because you can't possibly connect to another device? Or if someone did manage to disconnect one of your active subscriptions in order to connect to your comm, you'd be instantly aware of it, right?
This has always been one of the parts of subscription lists that really bothered me, so how do you reconcile this part?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (runefire32)
Once again we'll go back to the multitude of other things that have been put out there that you ignore or toss aside because they don't fit your world of "everything just works because thats the way it does in real life".

That doesn't change the fact that an average SR4 commlink is outperfeomed on connection level by an average RL cell phone or a SR3 Deck.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Or that you don't believe the way he has things work is in the spirit of the rules?

That the way he has things work is not the RAW - which we ware discussing here.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Sure it is.  Prove me wrong.  When someone enters into the matrix, via AR or VR when does he see nothing but the 0's and 1's.  And prove to me that his seeing those 0's and 1's is not a metaphor in and of itself.

FYI - we are talking about the AR/VR metaphor only, which is different from what you claim as describing as metaphor now. While shifting the meaning of your words may sound great, it's trivial.

It is perfectly possible for anyone accessing the matrix using a binary interface - just not efficient.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Not entirely.  A program doesn't know how to use a bus unless a programer tells it how.  The programer tells it how through a programing language which is usualy a metaphor for machine language, which is a metaphor for the flow of electricity through circuits.  Even the program itself exists in a metaphor so to speak.

Cutting aside your try to redefine the meaning of 'metaphor' ATM, thanks for agreeing with me that interaction between programs happens on a different level that human interaction with them, and thus, is not restrained by the human interface, but the bus interface - which subsequently restricts the human interface, and thus is equal or larger in capabilities.
Dashifen
QUOTE (runefire32)
Not entirely. A program doesn't know how to use a bus unless a programer tells it how. The programer tells it how through a programing language which is usualy a metaphor for machine language, which is a metaphor for the flow of electricity through circuits. Even the program itself exists in a metaphor so to speak.

That's a much better way of putting it than my way. Thanks.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (runefire32)
Even the program itself exists in a metaphor so to speak.

True. However, the question is, in SR, does the program operate in the same metaphor as the human, or (at least) one level lower, as in virtually all RL systems?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dashifen)
It is not a house rule.  It is explcitly stated on the RAW. I quoted it above.  The subscription list has a nigh infinite amount of slots but only System x 2 slots can be actively subscribed at once.  I understand the meaning of the phrase "active subscription" to man that one device is sending information to another device during some quantity of time.  That information may simply be the fact that the devices are still there (that is a null operation, for lack of a better term ... perhaps a networking handshake would be better).

A long as you are logged in (which is an action, BTW), that connection stays and occupies an active slot.

Everything about automated management of connections to stretch those connection limits is pretty much a houserule.
runefire32
That doesn't change the fact that an average SR4 commlink is outperfeomed on connection level by an average RL cell phone or a SR3 Deck.

So your phone can handle MP's worth of data? Impressive.

As for the SR3 deck...by just the BBB rules could not wirelessly interface with anything. Everything had to be physicaly wired. So your argument there is comparing apples to oranges. And I never picked up the matrix book for sr3 because by that point i was sick of the absolutely horrible rules of sr3, and had stoped playing, well that and because i never once saw a physical copy of it at any game store i visited.

That the way he has things work is not the RAW - which we ware discussing here.

See a above post by me. There is nothing in the rules that contradicts him.

FYI - we are talking about the VR metaphor only, which is different from what you claim as describing as metaphor now. While shifting the meaning of your words may sound great, it's trivial.

Thanks for dodging it. I even expanded it to when they were in AR to make your argument easier and you haven't been able to do what i asked.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
So then, if you were to maintain your maximum number of active subscriptions, by watching multiple video feeds or something, would you then be immune to hacking because you can't possibly connect to another device? Or if someone did manage to disconnect one of your active subscriptions in order to connect to your comm, you'd be instantly aware of it, right?

This has always been one of the parts of subscription lists that really bothered me, so how do you reconcile this part?

To be honest, it's never happened and, thus, I've never considered it before. In my opinion, the hack of a person's commlink does not represent an establishment of communication that is "allowed." Page 212 puts things thusly:

In game terms, your persona maintains a subscription list of nodes that you are accessing and that are allowed to establish communication with you.

I don't think anyone allows a hacker to establish communication with their devices, the hacker does so external to and separate from the subscription list of devices. If the hacked character tracks the hacker and finds their node, they'll have to free up one of their System x 2 subscription "slots" (for lack of a better term) because the hacking-on-the-fly section does clearly say that the hacking character gains access to the hacked node and, thus, subscribes it (in my opinion). It does not, however, imply that the hacked node must immediately subscribe the hacker's commlink.

In short: by hacking a node, the hacker uses up one of their System x 2 slots, but the node doesn't use up one of its.

Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (runefire32 @ Jun 22 2007, 01:31 PM)

True. However, the question is, in SR, does the program operate in the same metaphor as the human, or (at least) one level lower, as in virtually all RL systems?

In my games, no. Agents within a metaphor -- as semi-inteligent entities - act at the same metaphorical "level" as the humans -- which may or may not be semi-intelligent.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 22 2007, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (Dashifen)
It is not a house rule.  It is explcitly stated on the RAW. I quoted it above.  The subscription list has a nigh infinite amount of slots but only System x 2 slots can be actively subscribed at once.  I understand the meaning of the phrase "active subscription" to man that one device is sending information to another device during some quantity of time.  That information may simply be the fact that the devices are still there (that is a null operation, for lack of a better term ... perhaps a networking handshake would be better).

A long as you are logged in (which is an action, BTW), that connection stays and occupies an active slot.

Everything about automated management of connections to stretch those connection limits is pretty much a houserule.

I said nothing about logging in. If you're logged in, then you've used subscription slot. I'm talking about the transmission of data, like in a networking handshake.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (runefire32)
So your phone can handle MP's worth of data?  Impressive.

As an MP is 6 still images or one minute of video... sure it would. If I owned one. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (runefire32)
And I never picked up the matrix book for sr3 because by that point i was sick of the absolutely horrible rules of sr3, and had stoped playing, well that and because i never once saw a physical copy of it at any game store i visited.

Seems like that does not put you in the best position to take part in this discussion.

QUOTE (runefire32)
See a above post by me.  There is nothing in the rules that contradicts him.

There is nothing in the rules that agrees with him, either. It's totally made up.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Thanks for dodging it.

You might want to take a closer look.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dashifen)
I said nothing about logging in. If you're logged in, then you've used subscription slot. I'm talking about the transmission of data, like in a networking handshake.

Either there is a connection, using a slot, or there isn't, according to the RAW.

Everything else is just a house rule. Not a bad one, perhaps.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jun 22 2007, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (runefire32 @ Jun 22 2007, 01:31 PM)

In my games, no. Agents within a metaphor -- as semi-inteligent entities - act at the same metaphorical "level" as the humans -- which may or may not be semi-intelligent.

That wasn't a yes or no question, but I know what you meant. wink.gif
Again, fair enough. In my games I assume agents operate at a lower level. They definitely did in previous editions, and the fluff made that explicitly clear, but I'm not going to try to swing a previous edition argument around.
Man, arguing is no fun when we understand each other. nyahnyah.gif

QUOTE (Dashifen)
In short: by hacking a node, the hacker uses up one of their System x 2 slots, but the node doesn't use up one of its.

Okay, I see what you're saying here. It's pretty weird, though. Basically, you're saying that the devices are fully, 100% capable of making these connections, but that at some level you're not allowed to. That seems very strange to me. But for something you never considered and just made up on the spot, well done! biggrin.gif
runefire32
As an MP is 6 still images or one minute of video... sure it would. If I owned one. nyahnyah.gif

So you're saying any phone with bluetooth can transfer A MP of data...i'm not even going to go to the rates avialable in sr4 but just 1 mp of data, in a 3 second time frame, to 7 different devices simultaniously?

Seems like that does not put you in the best position to take part in this discussion.

I'm sorry I didn't realize where you know, sr3's wireless mechanics actualy impact the way the sr4 mechanics work. could you please go back and show me how that works?

There is nothing in the rules that agrees with him, either. It's totally made up.

So because theres nothing that says what he's doing is wrong, its wrong because you say it is?

You might want to take a closer look.

Nope you still never proved where someone is looking at the matrix in vr mode without looking at a metaphor.

runefire32
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jun 22 2007, 08:56 PM)
I said nothing about logging in.  If you're logged in, then you've used subscription slot.  I'm talking about the transmission of data, like in a networking handshake.

Either there is a connection, using a slot, or there isn't, according to the RAW.

But nowhere in the book does it say how long a connection has to be active....
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (runefire32)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Jun 22 2007, 02:00 PM)
I said nothing about logging in.  If you're logged in, then you've used subscription slot.  I'm talking about the transmission of data, like in a networking handshake.

But nowhere in the book does it say how long a connection has to be active....

Why do I get the feeling we've been here before? frown.gif
hobgoblin
ah, if only we could harness the rotational power of shadowrun matrix threads...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
ah, if only we could harness the rotational power of shadowrun matrix threads...

They sure do make my head spin. spin.gif
runefire32
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 22 2007, 02:14 PM)

They sure do make my head spin. spin.gif

Though not you specificaly...if we use it to spin their heads enough it might get the hampster back up ad running and then we wouldn't need this argumen!
Dashifen
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

Please clarify, I disagree.
Cheops
My group hasn't yet encountered any problems with the Matrix rules. None of us are involved in programming, IT, or anything to do with computers. We don't really care about how "realistic" it is as long as it makes sense, works within the rules, and is fun.

My take on connections based on the RAW (BBB, Errata, and FAQ) is that a subscription list can be infinitely long. However, you are not sending any info to those nodes nor getting anything back. If those nodes Actively Subscibe to your node or if your node actively subscribes to them then communication opens up. Now you can send messages back and forth.

In order to bump your connection from passive to active you have to have Access to the node to which you want to connect or the node that wishes to connect to you must have access to your node. This is where hacking and normal/security/admin access comes in. Just because you are requesting to have an active subscription (communication) with a node doesn't mean that it'll let you have access.

So all a corporate node needs to do is sit there and process requests from other nodes asking for permission to talk to it. The other nodes are the ones that are actively subscribing to it so the coporate node doesn't run into its subscription limit (since passive subscription is infinite). However, if the corporate node needs to communicate with other nodes (say 4 security commlinks each running a combat agent that it needs to send the alert to) then it needs to actively subscribe to them. So in this case the corporate node has 4 active subscriptions towards its limit of say 8 (system 4).

Also, lets say that it is the Seattle HQ and needs to communicate with both the Seattle branches and the corporate HQ in Chiba. Every hour on the half hour each branch opens up an active communication with the Seattle HQ. Those ones now include Seattle HQ as part of their active subscription. They stay open for say 15 minutes while they upload all the necessary status reports. Hackers could hack the branch nodes and ride that connection into the Seattle HQ node between :30 and :45. The Seattle HQ then connects with Chiba HQ every hour on the hour and stays open for 15 minutes (:00 to :15) allowing it to send vital updates and reports automatically and allowing hackers to ride the connection in. There could be dozens of nodes accessing Seattle and hundreds accessing Chiba but neither of them are actively subscribed to those branch nodes.

If an alert were raised on the corporate node it sends the alert message to the commlinks with the agents. The agents are loaded and running on each of the commlinks. They and their programs count against the commlink not the node but operate at the response of the node since they are acting remotely from the persona (commlink). Thus the node doesn't run into slowdown from running the agents (who ask to add the node to their active list and are given access and thus passively subscribed by the node). However, the agents could still run into slowdown if they are running to many programs from their system (and would be at Node's response - penalty).

As for the hordes of Agents. The FAQ states that Agents can not load other agents. They may only load common use or hacking programs. A hacker could theoretically load a million agents onto a node and keep them idling there on his passive subscription list. The agents could communicate with the hacker but the hacker could not send commands to them. Their Pilot would be limited by the System of the Node they were loaded onto and would suffer penalties to response as per usual. Also they would only be able to use the programs loaded onto that node since they are not loaded into the hacker's Persona and therefore cannot access his programs running on his commlink.

The hacker could then subscribe to them actively and give them orders. As with drones you could do this in batches or singly just like drones. So you could theoretically give a million agents all the same order. However, it is pointless and stupid to give more than 5 agents the same order unless you want hostile programs to have to wade through a million agents, since teamwork only gives the test a maximum of +5 to the test. SO ONLY 6 OF THE AGENTS ARE ACTUALLY "DOING" SOMETHING. Also note that the agents are loaded onto a specific node. Unless they are loaded onto the TARGET node they do not cause a denial of service attack. They operate at the response of the target node but they are loaded onto a separate node and count their system and program penalties thereof based off that node not the target. Thus you'd have to hack access and load all those millions of agents without anyone noticing to cause a DoS attack.

Ditto with all the corporate facilities' security procedures. They actively subscribe to the node but the node doesn't actively subscribe to them. Hell, you could use the security monitor as the hub and have all cameras subscribe to that and the monitor then subscribes to the node. The spider can then subscribe to the node or to the monitor (if he is in range) to review the security footage. Since anything that can connect to a local network can be accessed by anything that has range to that network the spider can connect to anything without going through the node. The node just makes it easier as a central place to review reports from all the security devices (alarms from sensors or tripwires, footage from cameras, communication with drones, AR feeds from guards' HUDs or gun cameras, etc).

Finally, as far as the metaphors go I agree with those that say entities within the system have to abide by the metaphor of the system. This makes the game very much like "The Matrix" but it works better for the human mind to think about it in those terms. It is easier to comprehend. Even agents in that movie had to abide by the metaphor but they could "bend" the rules a bit. A wall was still a wall for them but they could "extend their senses" into the room with Morpheus in order to shoot at him. However, that's because Agents in that movie were given VERY broad mandates. Notice that they still couldn't do anything without being present in the "physical location" and having a "physical presence" there (they had to assume one of the Humans' bodies).

Neo was different because he was "The One." He was created by the Architect/Oracle (the Resonance) in order to correct flaws in the system. He was the "Ghost in the Machine." Whenever he did something Neo-ish it caused the Operator (spider) to see something unusual happen in the programming of the Matrix. Basically he was a technomancer and operated under a different set of rules. He could instantly jump from one part of the node (city) to another but he still chose to fly at supersonic speeds. Instead of having to drive, or log out and log back in in a different part of the city he did it at once. He chose to portray himself flying at those speeds instead of teleporting from spot to spot. It made more sense to his brain and maybe seemed "cooler" than teleportation. The main point here is that he could break the rules better than everything else but he was still human.

This is the way me and my group choose to play. It makes sense to use to use these interpretations and they work within the BBB/Errata/FAQ. It also makes more sense to us to think of the matrix in this fashion as opposed to a programming space composed of bits and bytes. It is easier to think of the Seattle Grid as the Observation deck of the Space Needle with each window giving a view of a different part of Seattle (local grids) as opposed to just HTML code. Likewise it is easier to understand if my hacker is creeping around with a bush in front of him (stealth program) while the helicopter and cop car try to spot him. That's just us.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (runefire32)
So you're saying any phone with bluetooth can transfer A MP of data...i'm not even going to go to the rates avialable in sr4 but just 1 mp of data, in a 3 second time frame, to 7 different devices simultaniously?

Actually, I answered your question whether it can store such data. Which is completly trivial (as is discussion about bandwidth which is the 'MP in CT') as we were talking about connections.
And yes, a BT devices acting as push server can transmit to up to 7 devices simultaniously.
That should be enough sidetracking, though - you manged to miss the ironic metaphor.

QUOTE (runefire32)
I'm sorry I didn't realize where you know, sr3's wireless mechanics actualy impact the way the sr4 mechanics work.  could you please go back and show me how that works?

Because not everybody in the SR world suddenly had a lobotomy and forgot about them.

QUOTE (runefire32)
So because theres nothing that says what he's doing is wrong, its wrong because you say it is?

Oh, if it's ok for him and his players, it would be far-fetched to claim it wrong.
I just can't walk up to my GM and sucessfully 'I'm allowed to do so because some guy on the internet says so'.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Nope you still never proved where someone is looking at the matrix in vr mode without looking at a metaphor.

I don't need to, as you asked:
QUOTE (runefire32)
No one looks at the matrix without a metaphor.

In the context of the discussion being 'metaphor' = 'AR/VR metaphor', anyone visualising the matrix differently suffices. Which can be done by displaying raw network transmissions through a debug program. While that program may run under a certain interface, it doesn't change the fact that it's matrix without AR/VR metaphor.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Okay, I see what you're saying here. It's pretty weird, though. Basically, you're saying that the devices are fully, 100% capable of making these connections, but that at some level you're not allowed to. That seems very strange to me. But for something you never considered and just made up on the spot, well done! biggrin.gif

What seems strange?

Maybe if I reword it a little?

A hacker gains illegitimate access to nodes and, in so doing, uses up a subscription slot. The subscription list on that node, however, enumerates devices which are to be allowed legitimate access without some form of intervention from controller of that node. The hacker isn't in that list and, thus, doesn't use up a subscription slot until such a time as the node is instructed to gain access to the hacker's node.
Rotbart van Dainig
..so we are back to evil OS makers limiting the lusers. dead.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jun 22 2007, 02:04 PM)
Okay, I see what you're saying here.  It's pretty weird, though.  Basically, you're saying that the devices are fully, 100% capable of making these connections, but that at some level you're not allowed to.  That seems very strange to me.  But for something you never considered and just made up on the spot, well done!  biggrin.gif

What seems strange?

Maybe if I reword it a little?

A hacker gains illegitimate access to nodes and, in so doing, uses up a subscription slot. The subscription list on that node, however, enumerates devices which are to be allowed legitimate access without some form of intervention from controller of that node. The hacker isn't in that list and, thus, doesn't use up a subscription slot until such a time as the node is instructed to gain access to the hacker's node.

Okay, you said:
QUOTE (Dashifen)
The subscription list has a nigh infinite amount of slots but only System x 2 slots can be actively subscribed at once. I understand the meaning of the phrase "active subscription" to man that one device is sending information to another device during some quantity of time.

So the system had it's maximum (Systemx2) active subscription, because that's our scenario. So now the hacker gains illegitimate access to the system, which uses up one of his subscription slots. Got it. It doesn't use a subscription on the host, because it's not legitimate. Fine. However, if the hacker is on the node, legitimately or not, then both devices are sending information to each other during that quantity of time. They must be. You now have your host connected to systemx2+1 devices that are "sending information to [each other] during some quantity of time." Which means the active subscription limit was never really a limit at all. See what I'm getting at?
runefire32
Actually, I answered your question whether it can store such data. Which is completly trivial (as is discussion about bandwidth which is the 'MP in CT') as we were talking about connections.
And yes, a BT devices acting as push server can transmit to up to 7 devices simultaniously.
That should be enough sidetracking, though - you manged to miss the ironic metaphor.

Due to your inability to answer a question directly you missed my point.

Because not everybody in the SR world suddenly had a lobotomy and forgot about them.

I didn't realize that everyone in shadowrun knew how good decks could be. Nor did I realize that everyone in shadowrun knew exactly how everything worked. Nor did I realize that the fluff was based entirely on the mechanics and was restricted by the mechanics, and that the mechanics weren't a way to simulate said fluff world.

But if so why are you not still up in arms about how combat works. With wired reflexes you used to be able to go multiple times before anyone else could act at all. now everyone gets their first action and then you get your subsequent 'extra' actions provided by wired reflexes.

In the context of the discussion being 'metaphor' = 'AR/VR metaphor', anyone visualising the matrix differently suffices. Which can be done by displaying raw network transmissions... matrix style.

Certainly by restricting the meaning of the word metaphor you can strawman my assertation.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (runefire32)
Due to your inability to answer a question directly you missed my point.

On the contrary. It's not 'inability' but 'unwillingness' - I just didn't consider your point relevant to this discussion, as noted.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Nor did I realize that the fluff was based entirely on the mechanics and was restricted by the mechanics, and that the mechanics weren't a way to simulate said fluff world.

That sums up your problem very well, indeed.
If mechnics start to fundamentally contradict current and past fluff, something is wrong with them.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Certainly by restricting the meaning of the word metaphor you can strawman my assertation.

If you entered the discussion without realizing what we were talking about and thus missed the terminology, that's not my problem - sorry.
runefire32

On the contrary. It's not 'inability' but 'unwillingness' - I just didn't consider your point relevant to this discussion, as noted.

Yup and thus you missed the entire point, through your own ignorance.

That sums up your problem very well, indeed.
If mechnics start to fundamentally contradict current and past fluff, something is wrong with them.

I don't see where the connection limit has contradicted the past fluff. If you can show me where the connection limit is contradicting the past fluff and things, please, please please point it out. As I don't see how the current mechanics have anything to do with the way old decks worked, nor do i really see it all that much contradicting the previous fluff. Nor do i see it contradicting any fluff thats currently out there...

Please quote to me a section of fluff, past or current, that is directly contradicted by the way the mechanics of subscriber lists work.

If you entered the discussion without realizing what we were talking about and thus missed the terminology, that's not my problem - sorry.

And the way you 'defeated' my assertation is by taking something out of context of the argument to show i was wrong. Go round and round all you want, you still created a straw man to argue against me.
fistandantilus4.0
extinguish.gif You two are being very politely rude. I appreciate the effort at least, but please tone it down a bit.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (runefire32)
Please quote to me a section of fluff, past or current, that is directly contradicted by the way the mechanics of subscriber lists work.

QUOTE (Emergence preview @ page 4)
JackPoint Stats_____
52 users currently active in the network

Unless of course JackPoint is a rating 26 system.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
So the system had it's maximum (Systemx2) active subscription, because that's our scenario.  So now the hacker gains illegitimate access to the system, which uses up one of his subscription slots.  Got it.  It doesn't use a subscription on the host, because it's not legitimate.  Fine.  However, if the hacker is on the node, legitimately or not, then both devices are sending information to each other during that quantity of time.  They must be.  You now have your host connected to systemx2+1 devices that are "sending information to [each other] during some quantity of time."  Which means the active subscription limit was never really a limit at all.  See what I'm getting at?

Alrighty, now I see what your getting at and I don't have a good answer for you, really, other than to reiterate that it's my feeling that a hacker's actions exist specifically to illegitimately gain access to another device. This illegitimate access bypasses the system's controlling paradigm for legitimate access, what we call the subscription list. As a result, the hacker's communication to the device and the device's communication back to the hacker takes place regardless of how many devices are actively subscripted to the hacked node.

The downside I see to this answer is that a savvy player could then respond: "So why don't I just hack all of the drones in the world and be connected to a massive bot-net of unstobbable power?" And the answer to that is while the hacked node doesn't recognize the hacker as a legitimate, subscribed connection the hacker's node does recognize the node's node (for lack of a better term) as a legitimate, subscribed connection. Thus, an uber-hacker can still only hack his way into illegitimate access with System x 2 devices even if each and everyone of those devices has no idea that the hacker has said access.

The next question would be, "So how do the devices figure out that they've been hacked?" The short answer is that unless the hacker takes some sort of action, they probably don't. Some systems might have an Analyze program running on standby, but if that program cannot find the hacker (perhaps due to a high stealth rating) then the node won't know about the hack. But, once the hacker begins to mess with things, the security of the system as defined by the instructions given to any Agents within it or, in some cases, the actions of another person may begin to notice the results of the hacker's action. Once noticed, the system goes on an alert.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (runefire32 @ Jun 22 2007, 02:59 PM)

JackPoint Stats_____

Good come back. Even using the Emergence preview. Damn.

<Clinton Voice>I guess it depends on what you're definition of active is.</Clinton Voice>

grinbig.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Alrighty, now I see what your getting at and I don't have a good answer for you, really, other than...

Okay. You know what? I can live with that. As long as we understand each other, I'm happy.
My point is just that, if it takes us this long to reach that understanding, then resolved or not, it seems a little weird. wink.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jun 22 2007, 03:04 PM)

JackPoint Stats_____

<Clinton Voice>I guess it depends on what you're definition of active is.</Clinton Voice>

grinbig.gif

Yeah, well, I haven't had time to d/l the real thing yet. smile.gif

By the way, I meant to say in my last post, thank you for maintaining such a patient, civil dialogue with me, despite our persistent disagreement. I now understand the way you interpret the rules regarding this.
Personally, I'm just going to house-rule that subscription limits only apply to commlinks subscribing drones and agents, but it was a hell of a conversation. biggrin.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (runefire32)
Yup and thus you missed the entire point, through your own ignorance.

In fact, that only would apply if I didn't consider your posts at all.

QUOTE (runefire32)
Go round and round all you want, you still created a straw man to argue against me.

As tried you. Well, at least we won't see all the straw spun by both sides burn.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Dashifen)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jun 22 2007, 03:04 PM)

JackPoint Stats_____

grinbig.gif

I can't believe I'm saying this, afraid I'm adding fuel to the fire but...

Since I'm not as savvy as perhaps I should be on the Matrix, since Jackpoint is supposed to be a distributed network, couldn't it be a series of nodes linked together, with the total tally of users throughout the distributed nodes be 52?
Konsaki
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
But someone needs to admit that the current Matrix rules are a total joke - THE worst thing the game has ever put out. If you want proof, all you need to do is look at the sheer volume of rancor and controversy they have engendered.
That's never a good judge of proof, first of all. Because lumping all the feedback in together doesn't mean that all the feedback is addressing the same concerns. For an example, there are people who complain that the Matrix rules don't reflect reality enough. Fair enough, but there were conscious and required concessions made in that regard in order to streamline Matrix play for gameplay reasons.

Then tell me what is a good judge of proof?
For example, just cause you can say, "Out of the X amount of people who bought our product, only Y have complained, so it's good!" doesnt mean it's good either. Not all of your customers know about Dumpshock and, due to that, have the ability to contribute their thoughts on this issue.
You're never going to make everyone happy. And frankly, when you design a game (whether it's pen/paper or a video game), making everyone happy isn't a design goal.
Now if the feedback is about valid concerns that impede the design goals that were intended, that's worth keeping track to see if it can be corrected.
Um... One of your design goals was streamlining the game while keeping it playable to a newcomer, right? I'm pretty sure that things that contradict themselves isnt in line with those designs. If you want any examples, go read the 'few' threads on what problems there are with the Matrix rules. Shouldnt take too long.
Someone needs to have the guts to admit they dropped the ball on this mess and start again from the ground up with the upcoming books

A complete rework from the ground up in a sourcebook is just not going to happen. Sorry.
But the reason I asked my above question about a clear list of the concerns is that with a list in hand, the writers and developers can go through and see what we can address in the future sourcebooks.
The whole book doesnt need reworked and it doesnt have to even BE a full rework! It just needs to be corrected so it all meshes correctly instead of the hodgepodge of disconjointed rules you have in there right now.
You blatant admittance that you guys wont do anything, which is basicly a repeat of other Freelancers, makes you guys look like Wizards of the Coast and other companies I've seen before. What are you guys going to do? Wait until there are enough problems brought up before you introduce Shadowrun 4.5E?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Since I'm not as savvy as perhaps I should be on the Matrix, since Jackpoint is supposed to be a distributed network, couldn't it be a series of nodes linked together, with the total tally of users throughout the distributed nodes be 52?

Eeehhh, it could. But then we're getting back to a system where you have to crawl from one node to another to get anything accomplished. I don't want to go back to hacking SPUs.

See, page 206 tells us that nodes connect to form networks, but then page 216 defines a Node such that it's definition can be a network, so it all gets very wishy-washy and confusing.

Basically, my argument is that a single "place" in the matrix, be it JackPoint or a corporate host or whatever should be treated as a single system, because otherwise you end up with the matrix dungeon crawl and that's bad. So when you get right down to it, my argument is, "No, not because it isn't, but because if it were it would be bad for the game."
Aaron
I confess to merely skimming the three pages of posts since I last checked a mere three hours ago, but something caught my eye that I'd like to address.

Somebody stated that IC and agents do not see the Matrix through the metaphor. I rather think that they'd have to see the metaphor, for a couple of reasons.

First, the agent has to be able to interact with the Matrix object (file, icon, connection, control, etc.) within the metaphor. If it is blind to that information, it wouldn't be able to do its job.

Second, I imagine that a Matrix object would be written using some variation of object-orientated programming, so that it could easily interface with the rest of the Matrix. Each object would have a chunk that defined its size, shape, look, activity, etc. in the Matrix metaphor. More specific information (what the object does, what type it is, what it is currently doing, etc.) is not immediately public.

An agent would detect an object, but to the agent it would only detect the public sections of the object. True, it wouldn't "see" the metaphor, but only in the same way the Librarian from Snow Crash didn't "know" any of the information it discussed. But the agent doesn't magically get more information than a hacker does just because it's a program. It has to perform the same analysis that the hacker does in order to figure out the hidden information in a Matrix object.
fistandantilus4.0
-Moon-Hawk
Ok, that makes sense. Essentially, it could be done that way, but to say, hack it for example, every time you went to a new area, you'd have to do Exploit again.

Or for another version, in a corp host , with legitimate access, you'd have to be putting in passwords every time you "opened a new page" for a more current term. Which does happen in some businesses, but is clunky as hell.

Thanks for the clarification.
hobgoblin
or it could be that there are multiple devices that share a common access system. got in one place, have access all over. for those in the know, a kerberos token perhaps? (as in, a kind of digital id card that says that the guard at the gate allowed you in so your save to let roam free)
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Aaron)
But the agent doesn't magically get more information than a hacker does just because it's a program. It has to perform the same analysis that the hacker does in order to figure out the hidden information in a Matrix object.

But you're missing something, I think.
You're assuming there are only two types of data (roughly). Percieved and hidden.
Consider:
QUOTE (SR4 pg 217)
The vast majority of Matrix activity (data traffic, background processes, etc.) is highly uninteresting and would quickly overwhelm your senses, so the bulk of it is filtered out.

There is hidden stuff, non-hidden stuff, and then a very small subset of the non-hidden stuff is the stuff that a human hacker percieves. An Agent is in no danger of having their senses overwhelmed, so I would think they would be aware of much more. They would certainly be aware of the metaphor that the hacker uses, but I would think all that background stuff would make them really operate one level lower than the hacker.

Anyway, I think we're pretty much at peace with this. As far as I can tell, we've decided that some people think the Agents should operate at the same levels as the hacker, and some people think they operate at a lower level, and I think we're mostly okay with that. We're arguing about other stuff now. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
or it could be that there are multiple devices that share a common access system. got in one place, have access all over.

Exactly. But if you're only logging in once, then it's just one host, one node, and you're bound by treating at as a single system.

If you could connect multiple computers together in such a way that they could seamlessly integrate then you would essentially have a single system, which could be abstracted with a single system rating, and yet could connect to a nearly arbitrary number of devices at a single time, but would, tragically, be too large to be carried in one's pocket.
If only we could do that in SR4. wink.gif
deek
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

JackPoint Stats_____

And this intrepretation may just be my own thinking, but just because JackPoint shows 52 users currently active, that doesn't mean it has active subscriptions to 52 user's commlinks...

I could see the 52 user's commlink each taking up one of their own active slots in their subscription list, but JackPoint itself, I don't see it need to actively subscribe to every commlink that access it...

That is how I understand it, which is likely why I have yet to see a problem with subscription lists...

I mean, when my players are calling one another, they are not subscribing to each other's comms, they are making a phone call. When the go on a run and set up a small communication network, then the hacker subcribes to each runners comm and routes all the traffic, and thus is taking up subscriptions...
DireRadiant
If the GM decides that all actions by the Hacker in the Node are subject to the patrolling IC/Agent/Data Bomb getting to roll the opposed test to detect the Hacker, and that the system does in fact have that patrolling IC and Agents doing so, and most systems do, well by golly yes you have an unhackable unplayable system!

This would be the same as my making the stuffer shack employee an initiate grade 15 cyber zombie for the Food Fight Scenario. Sure, the rules allow it, it's in the RAW, but why the heck would I do it?

The one thing I always think about, did you know today we have all the resources and capability to make the Internet perfectly secure. But for some reason it hasn't happened? Just because it can happen, doesn't mean it does.

You can't take the capability of the single extreme case and extend to it to all systems.
Dashifen
@Moon-Hawk:
I appreciate that you enjoyed our conversation thus far. Frankly, this sort of debate is what I love to do, much to my wife's chagrin.
DireRadiant
If a Node was at it's subscription limit and I wanted to Hack it, all I need to do really is perform Matrix Perception, or Interept wireless traffic to identify a Node to impersonate, and then send my Commands via Spoof as one of the devices on the subscription list.
fistandantilus4.0
If only we could do that in SR4. 

This may be the root of the arguement, but , why can't you? Isn't that what a distributed network is? Or is my ignorance showing? embarrassed.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (deek)
And this intrepretation may just be my own thinking, but just because JackPoint shows 52 users currently active, that doesn't mean it has active subscriptions to 52 user's commlinks...

I could see the 52 user's commlink each taking up one of their own active slots in their subscription list, but JackPoint itself, I don't see it need to actively subscribe to every commlink that access it...

That is how I understand it, which is likely why I have yet to see a problem with subscription lists...

I think you may well be right.
However, I point to this (currently) six-page thread as evidence that, if that is indeed the case, then perhaps that could be made more clear. That's my point. I think.
Honestly, I don't even know what my original point was. I don't care. The fact is, there's been some great discussion going on in here. Currently, my point is that there's some stuff that needs to be made more clear, and as evidence say that it appears to me that there are too many people who are still confused and frustrated.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 22 2007, 03:33 PM)
or it could be that there are multiple devices that share a common access system. got in one place, have access all over.

Exactly. But if you're only logging in once, then it's just one host, one node, and you're bound by treating at as a single system.

If you could connect multiple computers together in such a way that they could seamlessly integrate then you would essentially have a single system, which could be abstracted with a single system rating, and yet could connect to a nearly arbitrary number of devices at a single time, but would, tragically, be too large to be carried in one's pocket.
If only we could do that in SR4. wink.gif

i see nothing that say that you cant. its just that there are no defined rules for doing so.

and there is think is the crux (or whatever its called) of the problem. some people want defined rules for everything so that there will be no chance for arbitrary judgments or abuse.

and for them the lack of rules equals it being impossible to do. or default deny as i think they say about firewalls.

problem is that to go into that level of detail would be impossible if one wanted to keep the price of the book at any reasonable level...
Cheops
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 22 2007, 08:45 PM)
The one thing I always think about, did you know today we have all the resources and capability to make the Internet perfectly secure. But for some reason it hasn't  happened? Just because it can happen, doesn't mean it does.

You can't take the capability of the single extreme case and extend to it to all systems.

Now you sound like an economist.

For distributed nodes acting as a network I don't think you'd need to hack multiple times or enter new passwords every time UNLESS THEY DIDN'T SHARE A COMMON ACCESS LIST. So if I can legitimately access one node of the network I could then move over to any other part of said network without having to log in again. I'd ask the other node for access, it'd see that the network has okay'ed me, and grant me access.

Edit: The only exception I could possibly see would be admin access if different nodes were maintained by different sysops.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012