Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ritual magic and astral barriers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Talia Invierno
An interesting assertion has been made in the Dragon challenge thread:
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
Ritual spells don't go through intervening space, they simply go from the casters to the targets - hitting nothing in between. So while the background count at the target matters, background counts and astral barriers that are "between" you and the target don't count for shit. Ignoring LOS means ignoring impediments along the LOS.

(emphasis mine)

In the example in question, a symbolic link is used, and the target is specifically enclosed within an astral barrier. (I'll not specify more, because details may turn out to be relevant.)

Now while I found much in RAW to loosely support the very first sentence where barriers are not explicitly involved -- and much to contradict it where they are involved -- I found nothing to suggest that ritual magic suddenly renders astral barriers irrelevant. Here is what I did find:
Ritual spellcasting works much like regular spellcasting, except that it is cast over a longer period of time and can affect targets outside the magician's visual range.  In addition, a group may collaborate and combine their skills using ritual spellcasting to make a spell more potent. (p.174, main book)

Should a magician try to cast a spell through a barrier, the target of the spell adds the Force of the barrier to its resistance dice pool. ... Astral mana barriers are resistant to astral spells as well as other astral forms, in the same manner as physical mana barriers noted above. (p.185, same)

The key to ritual magic seems to be that ritual magic requires some form of astral link to the target, be it material or sympathetic or symbolic -- and wards specifically disrupt astral links. The ability to cast a spell ritually does not require access to the metaplanes, only access to the astral -- and mana barriers block the astral.

So I throw open the question to the Dumpshock community: are astral barriers and/or a completely surrounding background count relevant to ritual magic? Are different types of astral barriers less relevant than others?
odinson
In the case of regular ritual casting you do need line of sight, that's why there is a spotter involved. For regular ritual casting, since the spotter is considered part of the group, I would go with the spell traveling from the spotter to the target so any impeding astral barrier would work. I would also argue that background count where the casters are would all effect the spell not where the target is. The background count where the casters are would alter their magic rating and effect drain and forces of spells as per normal, see page 118 in street magic. The reason for arguing that the background count where the casters are and not the target effects the spell is the line, "Pre-existing wards, mana barriers, active foci, sustained spells, and quickened/anchored spells are similarly affected." This is the line in reference to having the spells force reduced by the background count. No where in the list is an instantaneous spell. This leads to the conclusion that a spell cast into an area with a background count would not have it's force dropped. If the spell were to then be sustained the force would be lowered appropriately, but one without a sustained duration would not be of lower force. The only thing one could really argue for the background count at the target is that the spotter needs to be able to assense the target and background count reduces astral visibility.

Using a link would be a little different. I would say that since the link replaces the spotter it would act like the spotter in the previous example. So any barrier between the link and the target would block the spell. The only thing with using a link is that because it doesn't require line of sight you could say that the spell will take the path of least resistance and only the barriers that it cannot avoid would count. Also the visibility mods for a background count at the target location would not have an effect.

Buster
I thought background counts affected all magic including spirits (not just spirit powers but could actually disrupt spirits) and could even shut down enchanted items. I would think a target in a background count area would reduce the potency of the ritual spell by the background count as well. The same would be true if the ritualist was surrounded by a background count area or who had no way to reach the target except through a background count area. For example if the target or ritualist were in a legrange point orbital platform.

Also, if wards and background count don't affect ritual magic, is there any defense whatsoever against ritual magic besides Counterspelling?
Ol' Scratch
[Deleted]
Kyoto Kid
For making the link and astral barrier does affect the test:

QUOTE (MiTS p37 table)
CODE
Target is Within Astral Barrier         + Barrier's Force

It doesn't block, just makes the linking test more difficult.
Wakshaani
Augh, pfft, yeah, if you wanna bring the BOOK into this.

Sheesh!

Some people!
FrankTrollman
Except that he's bringing a third edition book into it. Seriously, check the citation - it's Magic in the Shadows, not Street Magic. Ritual Spellcasting works differently in 4th edition than it does in 3rd. Kyoto Kid's reference is to a "linking test" - which is a subset of the Ritual Sorcery rules which no longer exist. Furthermore, he printed up a "target number modifier", which also no longer exists.

Actually, Kyoto Kid's reference just proves the opposite point. In order to find an effect upon ritual spellcasting, you have to delve into 3rd edition rules for ritual sorcery.

4th edition ritual spellcasting has advantages and disadvantages relative to 3rd edition ritual sorcery (mostly disadvantages honestly), but this partcular modifier is no longer one you have to contend with.

-Frank
Kyoto Kid
...whoops, my bad Frank. embarrassed.gif Been running RiS (SRIII) and just had the team's mage attempt a ritual locate last session.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
4th edition ritual spellcasting has advantages and disadvantages relative to 3rd edition ritual sorcery (mostly disadvantages honestly), but this partcular modifier is no longer one you have to contend with.

...which is another reason why I am not endeared to magic in SR4.
mfb
i think the answer should be yes. magicians become ridiculously more powerful if there no countermeasures against ritual sorcery. a major countermeasure in SR3 was the fact that in order to hit a target with ritual sorcery, you had to find them--which was made harder by the presence of an astral barrier.

in the actual rules... it could go either way. i think i agree with Talia, for simple reason that just because a given rule is not specifically mentioned doesn't mean it doesn't apply. i don't have the book in front of me, but i'm positive there are a plethora of modifiers that are not specifically applied to ritual sorcery, which should be applied anyway. wound modifiers, a spirit's confusion power, spell sustaining, and so on.

astral barriers, in the rules, make it easier to resist spells that are cast through them. so the question is, does a ritually-cast spell pass through the barrier? i'm kinda thinking it does, because there's nothing that says it doesn't. all it says is that ritual magic allows the magician to cast on targets outside the magician's visual range. it doesn't, as far as i know, say that the effective location of the caster changes, which is what would have to happen for the barrier to be discounted.
Ol' Scratch
Regarding defenses:

There are plenty of defenses against ritual sorcery. Counterspelling, for instance, works just as well against it as it does anything else, as does various other forms of astral security such as spirits or projecting mages on guard duty. I presume that one still needs to secure a ritual link or other form of line of sight in order to target someone as well, many of which require getting through various barriers to obtain.

Anyone important enough to be a target for ritual sorcery should also be important enough to have magical countermeasures in place. Wards and astral barriers are merely passive defenses to keep the riff-raff out, not active defenses. It's like being upset that people can go through a door to get to a guy in a room or venting some knock-out gas through the ventilation system; they just bypassed all the defenses that room presented (as opposed to blowing a hole in the wall, which is more akin to defeating an astral barrier).

Summary: Hiding behind a wall isn't that great of a defense. Especially if it's your only defense. If the target is just some chump, it doesn't matter that you were able to bypass an astral barrier; he wouldn't have been a very difficult target to get to through other means.
mfb
holy shit, it's the funk!
Fortune
He heard I was back, and couldn't resist the calling. wink.gif biggrin.gif

Hey Doc.
FrankTrollman
Remember that this particular discussionis being colored by an extreme example (the six-man edge-flinging dragon slayers of doom). In most cases, Ritual Spellcasting is weak sauce. I really tried to come up with something for Doc Wagon to use Ritual Sorcery for and I couldn't - Docwagon can physically fly mages to any part of the world faster than a ritualist could target that location with a remote spell.

Also consider that in abstract many barriers are simply planes of set dimensions. Not only are they not inclusive of all the four-dimensional metaplanar directions, but many of them don't even completely encircle a point in three. For this exercise, let's consider a Mana Barrier (represented by "[]"), an astral spotter (respresented by "S"), and the ritual team (represented by "R"). And of course the target ("T").

So let's consider an initial topology of:

R . S . [] . T

In this case the Spotter is looking through the mana barrier, and when the spell goes off, the spell goes through the barrier and gets punked.

But instead let's have the spotter (who is astral anyhow) fly around to the other side, for this topology:

R . [] . T . S

Suddenly the spell doesn't go through the barrier, neh?

The characters in the super-assassination example were of course taking it to an extreme. But they were also using the Sympathetic Linking metamagic technique. At a cost of merely ruinous penalties, it actually uses the target as the spotter. So regardless of how many barriers there are or where they are, every topology is functionally eqivalent to the second example. The spotter is always on the same side of any barrier as the target, so you always bypass any barrier.

-Frank
Kyoto Kid
...for Counterspelling to work:

A. A mage needs to be present with the target 24/7
B. Said mage has to be "aware" of the ritual linking attempt in order to counterspell it.
C. Counterspelling only adds dice to the random roll resistance test and does not impose a fixed threshold as a ward should.

Also, a ritual team can use a Sympathetic Link (Street Magic p 28) which does not degrade in quality. This does not require a spotter and can be used for repeated attempts without any additional modifiers.

In the mundane example, the runners still have to physically be there, get through the locks, disarm the security systems, figure out the ventilation system, and find the room where the target is. Ritual magic can be done from a safe remote location. Big diff. in my book.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...for Counterspelling to work:

A. A mage needs to be present with the target 24/7
B. Said mage has to be "aware" of the ritual linking attempt in order to counterspell it.
C. Counterspelling only adds dice to the random roll resistance test and does not impose a fixed threshold as a ward should.

What are you talking about?

Counterspelling is passive. You only have to be there, you don't need to spot any particular spell you are interfering with. In fact, counterspelling helps you see through illusions and other spell effects that might keep you from being aware of the spells!

Furthermore, wards don't impose fixed thresholds on anything. Castings spells through a ward under any circumstances just gives out extra resistance dice (SR4, p. 185).

Also, a ritual team can use a Sympathetic Link (Street Magic p 28) which does not degrade in quality.  This does not require a spotter and can be used for repeated attempts without any additional modifiers.

If they happen to have someone with that Metamagic, sure. Metamagic is really expensive, so you're talking about a very powerful and very focused character to make this even possible.

-Frank
mfb
hm. that sucks. i mean, offhand, a ritual kill-team like the one described doesn't seem much harder to put together than, say, a beta clinic, and it seems a hojillion times more effective than anything a beta clinic--or even a delta clinic--could produce, in terms of assassinations.
Kyoto Kid
...@FrankTrollman, OK still thinking in SRIII terms, sorry.

Admittedly I not totally up to speed on SR4 magic as with previous editions.

So the mage just sits there giving counterspelling dice & doesn't have to actively intercept the linking attempt or incoming spell then.

Also I see no mention of a Linking Test as in previous editions (which is where wards did come into play). So for example, if the Ritual team is simply trying to locate the victim of a kidnapping (and not targeting a spell), there really is little that can stop them short of having the victim in a deep underground bunker, the spotter having to return to his body because the ritual took too long or spell test itself failed to generate any hits.

Most definitely am glad I didn't let myself get talked into converting RiS to SR4.

Talia Invierno
It may come down to exactly what
Ritual spellcasting works much like regular spellcasting

means.

Does it mean it is exactly the same except for the differences explicitly mentioned? Or does it mean that anything not explicitly mentioned can be assumed to be non-existent?
Ancient History
Regarding Frank's comments, I should add that it can be argued that a character completely surrounded by an astral barrier-such as a mana lodge, an astral barrier spell, or a warded space-may still be afforded that protection even if a material link or sympathetic link is used.

To whit, let's look at a relevant rule:

[i]Should a magician try to cast a spell through a barrier, the target of the spell adds the Force of the barrier to its resistance dice pool. (p.185, SR4)

In the case of Frank's example, the given mana barrier is effectively two-dimensional, under the argument that the "spotter" in this case is the target of the spell itself. However, this is an erroneous assumption: it is very clear that the spotter is only important in order to establish the link between the ritual team and the target, a link that is generated automatically by the use of a material sample or sympathetic magic rather than through the direct perception of the spotter, and a link which, since it can be followed through astral space, must therefore be said to pass through any intervening materials-including all-encompassing astral barriers.

To give a counter-example, imagine that the target is on the other side of a "wall" of FAB II but is not actually encompassed by it. If the spotter is viewing the target through the wall, then the link is effectively passing through the wall as well. However, if the spotter moves-or if the ritual team is using a material or sympathetic link-then the FAB II wall is not in way of the link and poses no difficulty to the ritual team. If the target had instead taken refuge inside a ward, which completely encompasses an area, then the target would benefit from the ward's protection no matter what as the spell would still have to pass through the barrier to effect the target.
Buster
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jul 21 2007, 02:42 PM)

Hey Doc.

You won't believe this, but he's been assigned as my primary care physician in my HMO.
odinson
QUOTE (Ancient History)
In the case of Frank's example, the given mana barrier is effectively two-dimensional, under the argument that the "spotter" in this case is the target of the spell itself. However, this is an erroneous assumption: it is very clear that the spotter is only important in order to establish the link between the ritual team and the target, a link that is generated automatically by the use of a material sample or sympathetic magic rather than through the direct perception of the spotter, and a link which, since it can be followed through astral space, must therefore be said to pass through any intervening materials-including all-encompassing astral barriers.

There is no link from the ritual team to the target. There is a link from the team to the spotter. If there was a link from the target to the team then the target would not have to first see the spotter to be able to use astral tracking back to the ritual group. From p175 in the ritual targeting section, "If the spotter is noticed by the target, it is possible to use the link to track her back to the ritual team's physical location." The link they are referring to is that between the spotter and team. Using a spotter the team casts the spell, it travels from the team, through the link and then from the spotter it is cast at the target.

Also note that if the team leader can see the target you don't need a spotter. This would support an argument that the spell would be cast normally and if one was using a spotter the spell would go from him to the target jsut as if you weren't it would go from the team leader to the target.

The only real question is: would any astral barriers along the link between the spotter and team add to the targets resistance of the spell? I would think they wouldn't as you have a solid astral link from point a to point b. It would be like having a wire running through the wall. Things traveling through the wire wouldn't be affected by the wall.

Rereading the section on links in street magic it appears that the situation is completely different. The only difference between the types of links, material, sympathetic, and symbolic, is how effective they are so the exact type doesn't matter. From the material link section, "Ritual groups may also combine material links (and sympathetic links below) with astral spotters to astrally track a target when its location is unknown." So if a spotter can track from the material link to the target then there must be an astral link from the material link to the target. This is probably the exact same sort of link that the spotter has to the ritual team. It doesn't say in the link section but it can probably be argued that the target, if he was to notice the link, would be able to track the other way also. So when the ritual team casts the spell the team leader would target the link, the spell would go from him to the material link and then follow the astral link to the target. So the only impeding astral barriers would be the ones between the team leader and the material link.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...@FrankTrollman, OK still thinking in SRIII terms, sorry.

Admittedly I not totally up to speed on SR4 magic as with previous editions.

No problem. It's a different and much simpler resolution system for ritual sorcery. Ultimately there is one roll on the attack and one roll on the defense, so a lot of the sub-sets that you are dealing with (initiative counts spent fighting spells in astral space on the way in, for example), don't apply.

So the mage just sits there giving counterspelling dice & doesn't have to actively intercept the linking attempt or incoming spell then.

Right. Counterspelling is simply a quantity that adds universally across spell resistance tests - including ritual spell resistance tests.

Also I see no mention of a Linking Test as in previous editions (which is where wards did come into play).  So for example, if the Ritual team is simply trying to locate the victim of a kidnapping (and not targeting a spell), there really is little that can stop them short of having the victim in a deep underground bunker, the spotter having to return to his body because the ritual took too long or spell test itself failed to generate any hits.

Ritual Links can be used to start up Astral Tracking, and that actually is path dependent, because we're back to using a "spotter" who manually traverses astral space in some actual path that can be hampered by astral barriers or ambushes.(see SR4, p. 185). And in that case you actually do have to deal with a threshold increase for tracking through an astral barrier.

So it boils down to this:
  • If you have the linking metamagic technique, sending a microwave bomb into the kidnapped girl's head and exploding it it easy.
  • But astrally tracking her location is still hard if she's in a warded location.
  • If you don't have the linking metamagic technique, sending a microwave bomb into her head is essentially impossible.

-Frank
Kyoto Kid
...Frank, thanks for the clarifications.

I can read the rules over & over (as I have done), but oft times, an example makes the murky turn crystal clear.

-KK
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (odinson)
There is no link from the ritual team to the target. There is a link from the team to the spotter.

So what exactly do material, sympathetic, and symbolic links link? (One assumes they are called "links" for a reason.)
Particle_Beam
Material, sympathetic and symbolic links do link directly to the target/victim. But spotters don't, that's the point.
Talia Invierno
But if they do link directly to the target, then some kind of link still has to pass through the astral barrier (and maybe take it into account) -- and I believe that was the question of this thread.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)

Hey Doc.

Holy shit, the 2 Fs are back. The time of the apocalypse hath come!
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
But if they do link directly to the target, then some kind of link still has to pass through the astral barrier (and maybe take it into account) -- and I believe that was the question of this thread.

That on the other hand is another question that deals with astral barriers and astral links. I only pointed out the difference from the link provided by other means than the spotter.
odinson
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Thats why in my post I said that that was the important question that needed answering. Also note that there were two paragraphs one for the spotter and one for the material link. The targets of spells cast through the barrier get the barrier as bonus resistance dice. There is nothing about casting a spell along an astral link that goes through a barrier. If you were to rule that any barrier the spell travels through while it travels along the astral link, then when you were to use a spotter and the spotter was to leave the ritual circle and travel through the force 6 wards all along the outside of the building you are in then the target would get that barrier as a bonus resistance dice.

Since the book only has rules for casting through a barrier I would say that while it is traveling along the astral link barriers would not come into account. With the spooter the spell goes from the spotter to the target. Any barrier in the way would count. Using a material link there is an astral link from the material to the target. The spell goes from the team leader to the material link and then travels along the astral link to the target of the spell. If there was a barrier between the caster and the material link then that would come into play as the spell would have to travel through it to get to the link.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Look at it this way.

Sorcery requires you to physically see the location and target of your spell (or, in the case of Elemental Manipulation spells, requires the spell to physically travels to the target destination). Thus any obstacles in the way are fully in play as they are interfering with either your line of sight or the path of the mana you're slinging.

Ritual Spellcasting, on the other hand, largely skips that obstacle. In a fashion more closely related to summoning a spirit than transmitting a radio signal, the magician manifests the magic directly at the destination without worrying about anything in between himself or the target. Because, in fact, there are no obstacles between him and his target. If there were, and he was casting an Elemental Manipulation spell with Ritual Sorcery, then that Fireball would be blasting through everything on the way to the target which just isn't the case.

The link isn't a long cable or magic radio signal. It's just a means that the magician uses to figure out where to manifest the spell effect. This is why it takes so long to cast a ritual spell. They're willing the magic effect to appear somewhere else, not "shoot" the spell there.

Oh, and please keep in mind that I haven't played in a few years and am not fully up to speed on all of the 4th Edition rules, hence the examples over rules citations. biggrin.gif
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Sorcery requires you to physically see the location and target of your spell (or, in the case of Elemental Manipulation spells, requires the spell to physically travels to the target destination). Thus any obstacles in the way are fully in play as they are interfering with either your line of sight or the path of the mana you're slinging.

Ritual Spellcasting, on the other hand, largely skips that obstacle.

Although, even in e3, it was made absolutely clear that (for example) a standardly-cast combat spell does not physically travel from caster to target but manifests within the target -- and yet the existence of astral barriers affects that casting.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Although, even in e3, it was made absolutely clear that (for example) a standardly-cast combat spell does not physically travel from caster to target but manifests within the target -- and yet the existence of astral barriers affects that casting.

Hmm? I mentioned that.

Those obstacles are interferring with your line of sight to the target. In those cases, there is a "radio signal" type phenomenon in play. Line of sight isn't an issue with ritual spellcasting via a link. It's more like the magician is right there on top of the target, touching them.

I used an Elemental Manipulation spell as an example simply because it was demonstrating the lack of a line of sight type effect with ritual spellcasting. If ritual spellcasting worked like sorcery, basically "extending" the magician's line of sight from their current location to the target, then Elemental Manipulation spells would be affected as such, too, being forced to travel from one to the other.
Talia Invierno
Three concepts are being blurred here:
  1. being able to see someone well enough to cast a spell at them;
  2. the degree to which cover protection keeps a target from being first hit and then damaged by elemental manipulation (now indirect combat) spells -- which specifically cause damage as a result of the elemental effect, and not directly from the mana;
  3. once it has been already established that the person can see the target (or has established some other kind of link to the target), just how the spell goes from caster to the point at which it takes effect and whether it can be affected by anything in between.
The first isn't required in ritual magic, by canon. The second is not relevant to broader discussions of how a spell travels from caster to target: since the effect of indirect combat spells quite specifically manifests outside the target: armour applies. (Direct combat spells, by contrast, specifically begin from inside the target, per "Direct Combat Spells affect the target from the inside, so armor does not help with resistance" - p.196.)

But the third: that's the one to concentrate on.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Talia)

But the third: that's the one to concentrate on.

The third is inseparable from the first two. Seriously.

Objects are either "between" or they are not. An indirect combat spell, for example, is stopped by any physical object that is "between" the caster and the target. An indirect attack spell also allows the target additional damage resistance dice if it has an astral barrier "between" the caster and the target.

Since indirect combat spells are castable through ritual spellcasting at all, this necessarily means that the physical objects are not "between" the caster and the target. And that means that the astral barriers aren't "between" either! They are in the same place, and the rules concerning being "between" are not different.

You are asking for words to mean different things in the same sentence for no reason.

-Frank
odinson
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

Since indirect combat spells are castable through ritual spellcasting at all, this necessarily means that the physical objects are not "between" the caster and the target. And that means that the astral barriers aren't "between" either! They are in the same place, and the rules concerning being "between" are not different.

The problem is exactly how people view the ritual magic working and how it travels. The books don't specifically say and that is where all the confusion comes in.

If you strip the ritual spellcasting down to it's simplest form you have the ritual group and a target within sight. This negates the need for a spotter or a link. So, if your ritual group was to chant, dance, sacrifice small children or whatever your ritual group does and cast an indirect combat spell would the spell simply manifest at the target or would it travel from the caster to the target? If I read your post right you figure that the fireball or whatever would just appear at the target. That would mean that any mana barriers between you and the target would have no effect.

From the book and what has been quoted here a bunch of times, "Ritual spellcasting works much like regular spellcasting, except that it is cast over a longer period of time and can affect targets outside the magician's visual range. In addition, a group may collaborate and combine their skills using ritual spellcasting to make a spell more potent. (p.174, main book)"

Since it works like regular spell casting and in regular spellcasting an indirect combat spell will manifest and then travel to the target a ritual spell will do the same. This means that the target will get any benefit of astral barriers between the caster and the target.

Now, when the team leader cannot see the target you need to add in the spotter. The spotter is now what provides your line of sight and it also has the astral link to the group. Lacking explicit rules that say the spell simply appears at the target or the spell appears here and travels to here it is reasonable to assume that the results of the spellcasting will be similar to the previous results with the fewest changes possible.

So in the first example you had a ritual group with a leader. The leader had LOS to target. Spell travels from leader to target. Second example you have ritual team with a leader and spotter. Spotter has LOS to target. Spell will travel from spotter to target. This is a more reasonable assumption than having the spell simply appear at the target. It more closely mimics the basic ritual spellcasting which is supposed to by RAW mimic the regular spellcasting.

Using a link would be different. With a link you have an astral link from an object to the target. So Ritual team with leader. Leader has LOS to link. link goes to target. So a spell would travel from caster to the link and since the link and the target are connected the spell would effect the target the same as the link. That also means that any barriers between the team and the link would help the target resist the spell.

I like this view, yours may be different but since there is no 4th ed RAW saying that one is right and the other is wrong either interpretation is correct. Mine is a simple extrapolation from the rules that we currently have. I could be wrong but if you play that the spells simply manifest at the target I would be interested to see how you get to that conclusion.
Vaevictis
Here's a thought that occurred to me:

1. With normal spellcasting, your "cast" travels along a path in space, hence is subject to barriers in space.
2. According to Frank's interpretation, with ritual spellcasting, your "cast" does not travel along a path in space, and hence is not subject to barriers in space.

#2 sounds an awful lot like teleportation to me...
Aku
but, if we do the traveling through space, does that mean that if you cast fireball at an insane force, (or any force) that people between the team and the target see the fireball flying? only from the spotter to the target?
Vaevictis
Well, clearly we don't see the fireball flying, because every reference I've ever seen says "no".

But see, the fireball is the "effect", not the casting; I posit that the casting travels through space, and causes an effect at the end point.
Vaevictis
And to play devil's advocate to myself:

1. The problem of traveling through space can be solved by using the precedent of the metaplanar shortcut that spirits use. ie, it travels through metaplanar space like a spirit before popping out on the other side of the barrier.
2. It's probably pure folly to attempt to apply scientific concepts like "space" to magic.
odinson
I've gone with the casting travels through space and the effect appears at the spotter and then flys through space to the target. Basically you always need line of sight to cast a spell. The spells effect goes from the whoever has line of sight to the target. So if the team leader has LOS then the spell goes from him to target, if the spotter has LOS then it goes from him to target. Using a link the team leader has LOS to the link. The spell goes from the leader to the link. That means a large area effect spell thrown down in the middle of the spellcasting group at the link could hurt some of the casters if they were close enough to the link. Sorta why everyone would be standing way back from the link.
For flavour it kinda makes me think of the voodoo dolls. You mage burns the doll and the target gets burned. Not the mage uses the doll to channel the magic to the target so the target bursts on fire.
FrankTrollman
Over and above the questions of Line of Sight, Firebolts don't travel through objects. If you're standing on one side of an armorplast window and your desired target is one the other side, your Firebolt will have to blast through the armor plast before it hits the target. In fact, armorplast windows and Physical Barriers have exactly the same effect on Firebolts that Mana Barriers do.

So while it is true that the rules never specifically exempt spells from travelling through intervening Mana Barriers, they likewise (and to the same extent) never exempt them from flying through Physical Barriers. And of course, if they are not exempted from that they don't work at all.

Seriously, this is a completely inane argument and I am honestly offended that people are making it. The rules never explicitly define "line of sight", preferring to fall under the common definition of the concept: that being a line between points A and B that is inclusive and broken if there are obstructions along said line. When you bypass the requirement of line of sight, of course you're bypassing intervening objects. Why the fuck wouldn't you be? You aren't drawing a line between A and B!

QUOTE (Vaevictis)
#2 sounds an awful lot like teleportation to me...

Really? It sounds exactly like a metaplanar shortcut to me.

QUOTE (odinson)
Using a link would be different. With a link you have an astral link from an object to the target.

Actually, you don't. You have an astral link between the spellcasting and the target. You can follow the trail from the spellcasting to the target, in precisely the same way as you can follow a trail from a sustained spell to its caster (SR4, p. 185). The instant the casting is over the link is just an object. But just as bringing an intervening mana barrier up between a caster and a spell he's sustaining has no effect on either - bringing a mana barrier up between the ritual spellcasting and the target is meaningless to the ritual (though of course it'll bone an astral tracker in either case).

Attempting to define a specific path of travel for an effect that does not follow Line of Sight or Range limitations is inane.

-Frank
odinson
Where in the ritual spellcasting does it say that you bypass line of sight? It says it works exactly like regular spell casting. It also says if you don't have LOS to the target you can have a spotter get LOS for you. You still need LOS with ritual spellcasting.
Tarantula
In the part where we're using sympathetic magic to use a symbolic link to target them.
QUOTE (SR4 @ 175)
Ritual spells can be used on any target, whether within visual range or not. If the target is not in sight, the spellcaster or group needs someone who can see the target for them, generally referred to as a spotter.

QUOTE (SM @ 28)
During ritual spellcasting (p. 174, SR4), instead of using an astral spotter, the ritual team may opt to use a material link to target the spell.

QUOTE (SM @ 29)
Initiates with the Sympathetic Linking metamagic (p. 58) can use a sympathetic link to target a ritual spell, if neither a material link nor a spotter is available.

QUOTE (SM @ 29)
If an initiate with Sympathetic Linking metamagic can’t find a sympathetic link, he may instead create a symbolic link: a picture, sculpture, or doll bearing symbolic likeness to the target. [...] Though symbolic links can work in cases a material link, sympathetic link, or astral spotter won’t, they are more difficult to use.

The chain goes, ritual sorcery needs a spotter. Instead of a spotter you can use a material link. Instead of a material link (with sympathetic metamagic) you can use a sympathetic link. Instead of a sympathetic link, you can use a symbolic link. The symbolic link replaces your spotter.
Talia Invierno
We're still stranding on the question of whether

means that it is exactly the same except for the differences explicitly mentioned, or whether it means that anything not explicitly mentioned can be assumed to be non-existent?

I mean, metaplanar shortcuts have now been pulled into the equation: and for sure those aren't mentioned anywhere in the books. In fact, the only magicians who have unassisted access to the metaplanes are initiates -- but you don't need to be an initiate to cast a spell. Yet if spells pass through the metaplanes, it seems a non-initiate can access (and perhaps even influence?) the metaplanes.
QUOTE (odinson)
I've gone with the casting travels through space and the effect appears at the spotter and then flys through space to the target.

Pity the poor spotter who is providing the visual link for a fireball!
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
QUOTE (odinson)
Using a link would be different. With a link you have an astral link from an object to the target.

Actually, you don't. You have an astral link between the spellcasting and the target.

Book quote, please. And at the same time: please explain how a function (spellcasting) can have a location.
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
You can follow the trail from the spellcasting to the target, in precisely the same way as you can follow a trail from a sustained spell to its caster (SR4, p. 185).

Again, book quote please. The only backtracking I saw mentioned in the ritual magic section is the one where the target can trace the line from the spotter back to the team.
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
1. The problem of traveling through space can be solved by using the precedent of the metaplanar shortcut that spirits use. ie, it travels through metaplanar space like a spirit before popping out on the other side of the barrier.

Recognising the devil's advocacy of this smile.gif Besides metaplanes generally though, it raises an interesting point. From p.177:
A telepathic link exists between a spirit and its summoner at all times.  This allows the spirit to communicate with its summoner from astral space without revealing itself.  This link also allows communications over a distance -- though it does not extend to the metaplanes.  For this reason, a summoner will know when a spirit she has summoned has been disrupted, as she will feel the loss of the mental link.

If the communications link does not extend to the metaplanes, then a spirit on standby ("from whence it came") can't be in the metaplanes. (Direct rules contradiction?) We also have the specification that:
a spirit must remain within the summoner's Magic x 100 meters (if forced out of this radius, they will return as quickly as they can).  If a spirit is sent beyond this range, it counts as a remote service. (p.178)

Whatever else, this implies that even in the astral, distance matters and is measurable. Same thing goes with the ally's Sense Link.

Put these together -- and does it actually say anywhere in the book that spirits can be summoned on one side of an astral barrier and recalled on the other? By the book: if they go metaplanar, communication is lost.

[/end tangent]

Hmm ... occurs to me that perhaps the core of the original barrier/spellcasting question is whether the nature of the link, be it sympathetic or symbolic or material or LOS, runs through astral space or the metaplanes -- and whether this is in any way different from the way a non-ritual spell travels. I know that earlier editions of SR specified that spells did travel through the astral. Later ones don't specify.

*Laugh* I should perhaps have phrased the question in this thread in terms of a team of runners hiding out from probable corporate ritual retribution. After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Talia)

means that it is exactly the same except for the differences explicitly mentioned, or whether it means that anything not explicitly mentioned can be assumed to be non-existent?

I'd agree, it works the same as mentioned except for differences.

QUOTE (Talia)
I mean, metaplanar shortcuts have now been pulled into the equation: and for sure those aren't mentioned anywhere in the books.  In fact, the only magicians who have unassisted access to the metaplanes are initiates -- but you don't need to be an initiate to cast a spell.  Yet if spells pass through the metaplanes, it seems a non-initiate can access (and perhaps even influence?) the metaplanes.

Except, that in order to use a ritual spell without a spotter, you must have the sympathetic metamagic. Which means you ARE an initiate, and have unrestricted access.
QUOTE (Talia)
QUOTE (odinson)
I've gone with the casting travels through space and the effect appears at the spotter and then flys through space to the target.

Do mages who cast fireballs at people soak the damage too? I've always though of fireball as being much like a rocket, it travels to the target, upon reaching it, explodes to the area it affects.
QUOTE (Talia)
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
QUOTE (odinson)

Actually, you don't. You have an astral link between the spellcasting and the target.

Book quote, please. And at the same time: please explain how a function (spellcasting) can have a location.

QUOTE (SM @ 29)
Ritual groups may also combine material links (and sympathetic links below) with astral spotters to astrally track a target when its location is unknown. While the ritual team is casting a spell (using the material link), an astral spotter may track the target’s location per the rules on p. 185, SR4. The ritual need not be completed, just maintained long enough to allow the tracker to locate the target.

QUOTE (Talia)
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
You can follow the trail from the spellcasting to the target, in precisely the same way as you can follow a trail from a sustained spell to its caster (SR4, p. 185).

Again, book quote please. The only backtracking I saw mentioned in the ritual magic section is the one where the target can trace the line from the spotter back to the team.

See above. SM, 29.
QUOTE (Talia)
QUOTE (Vaevictis)

Recognising the devil's advocacy of this smile.gif Besides metaplanes generally though, it raises an interesting point. From p.177:

QUOTE (SR4 @ 178 Sidebar)
This magical power drain is the compelling reason why most magicians keep their bound spirits at rest. The magician can dismiss a bound spirit with a Simple Action, allowing the spirit to return to its home in astral space, where it awaits a summons from its master. Calling the spirit back simply requires another Simple Action—no test is involved. While the spirit is resting in astral space, the bond between magician and spirit has no effect on the magician.

QUOTE (Talia)
A telepathic link exists between a spirit and its summoner at all times.  This allows the spirit to communicate with its summoner from astral space without revealing itself.  This link also allows communications over a distance -- though it does not extend to the metaplanes.  For this reason, a summoner will know when a spirit she has summoned has been disrupted, as she will feel the loss of the mental link.

If the communications link does not extend to the metaplanes, then a spirit on standby ("from whence it came") can't be in the metaplanes. (Direct rules contradiction?) We also have the specification that:

See above. SR4, 178 Sidebar
QUOTE (Talia)
a spirit must remain within the summoner's Magic x 100 meters (if forced out of this radius, they will return as quickly as they can).  If a spirit is sent beyond this range, it counts as a remote service. (p.178)

Whatever else, this implies that even in the astral, distance matters and is measurable. Same thing goes with the ally's Sense Link.

Sure, but I can ritually zap someone across the world as easily as 5 feet away, so as far as ritual spellcasting is concerned, it doesn't have any affect.

QUOTE (Talia)
Put these together -- and does it actually say anywhere in the book that spirits can be summoned on one side of an astral barrier and recalled on the other?  By the book: if they go metaplanar, communication is lost.

[/end tangent]

Yes, again, see above, SR4, 178 Sidebar.

QUOTE (Talia)
Hmm ... occurs to me that perhaps the core of the original barrier/spellcasting question is whether the nature of the link, be it sympathetic or symbolic or material or LOS, runs through astral space or the metaplanes -- and whether this is in any way different from the way a non-ritual spell travels.  I know that earlier editions of SR specified that spells did travel through the astral.  Later ones don't specify.

*Laugh*  I should perhaps have phrased the question in this thread in terms of a team of runners hiding out from probable corporate ritual retribution.  After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The arguement is that its clear when it is a regular ritual casting. There is a link from ritual to spotter. Spell goes from spotter to target as normal.

The problem is with material, sympathetic, and symbolic magic, there is no LOS from the ritual to the target. Instead, the closest interpretation I can make, is this:
  1. If there is an astral barrier between the spellcaster and the target, the target gets bonus dice equal to force of the barrier on its resistance test. SR4, 174
  2. No matter whos astral barrier it is (spellcasters, targets, joe blow's) it provides the bonus dice. SR4, 174
  3. Ritual spellcasting requires the group to be inside of a magical lodge with a rating at least as high as the force they are casting at. SR4, 175
  4. Magical lodges are mana barriers. SR4, 185
  5. In regular ritual spellcasting, a link is made between the ritual and the spotter, and the spell is cast from the spotter to the target. SR4, 175
  6. Therefore, the link between ritual and spotter is not affected by mana barriers. Lines 1-5
  7. In material/sympathetic/symbolic rituals, a link is made between the material/object/symbol and the target. SM, 29
  8. The link between ritual and spotter is the same as between material/object/symbol and target, as they can both be tracked to their linked objects. SR4, 185, SM, 29
  9. Therefore, as the link between ritual's and spotters is not affected by an mana barrier, the link between material/object/symbol is also not affected by mana barriers. Lines 6-9
Ol' Scratch
That's the thing I'm having trouble grasping with the people advocating that astral barriers and the like count with ritual spellcasting. If one barrier applies, then -all- barriers between the group and the target apply. Not only that, but it also implies that any and all background counts in the way count as well! Worse still, there's nothing that says the path is a "shortest distance from point A to point B" path. It could literally go anywhere around the world and beyond, thus allowing the bonus dice to skyrocket to anything the GM wants to throw down, assuming that interpretation is correct.

Where do you draw the line with that interpretation? And how do you draw that line and maintain a semblence of believability? Why would only one or two barriers be the limit?
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (odinson)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Do mages who cast fireballs at people soak the damage too? I've always though of fireball as being much like a rocket, it travels to the target, upon reaching it, explodes to the area it affects.

The reference is specifically to odinson's interpretation, and I was teasing a little. "Effect" usually refers to end-result.
That's the thing I'm having trouble grasping with the people advocating that astral barriers and the like count with ritual spellcasting. If one barrier applies, then -all- barriers between the group and the target apply

Would it make a difference if some barriers completely surrounded the target, while others were just a Maginot wall?

~ spirit-parallel tangent:

Btw I did read p.29 -- had it open beside me while I wrote that post. It doesn't answer the specific questions I asked. And the part of the p.178 sidebar that isn't an optional rule confuses it further: "home in astral space"? (But isn't its home supposed to be one of the metaplanes, and not astral space at all?) And consider p.179:
The spirit can hang around in astral space awaiting orders, or the magician can instruct it to return from where it came to be called at a later time

and then we have p.176:
Spirits are creatures native to the astral plane and metaplanes.

Ah, here it is:
Spirits that find their physical or astral movement impeded by a dual-natured mana barrier may take a quick trip to the metaplanes and back again to the other side of the barrier.  This "shortcut" may ony be taken if the spirit's conjurer is on the other side of the barrier (taking up one service) or if the spirit has been to the location on the other side before (a reason to never allow a spirit into your private sanctuary). (SS p.94)

So there is relevance to this thread, insofar as a spirit can't just metaplane-hop around a barrier without the barrier having first been breached either by conjurer or by spirit -- and it costs a service to do it.

Edit: I think I broke the quote function biggrin.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Sure.
  • Option 1: You ritually cast through a symbolic link, bypassing the expilicit requirement for line of sight, but leaving all other portions of the spellcasting unchanged. Your Firebolt then flies directly towards your enemy by the shortest possible route and ignoring the fact that you can't see the target. It strikes the nearest physical object and puts a hole in it - spell over.
  • Option 2: You ritually cast through a symbolic link, bypassing the explicit requirement for line of sight, and by extension bypassing any impediments that would be along the way if you were tracking line of sight. The Firebolt appears on the target, who bursts into flames.

Those are your two options. Option 1 is completely retarded, and Option 2 is entirely plausible. Which is it?

-Frank
Tarantula
Talia, I'm curious to why you didn't even touch my logical arguement concluding that mana barriers have no affect on ritual spells.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

• Option 2: You ritually cast through a symbolic link, bypassing the explicit requirement for line of sight, and by extension bypassing any impediments that would be along the way if you were tracking line of sight. The Firebolt appears on the target, who bursts into flames.

Those are your two options. Option 1 is completely retarded, and Option 2 is entirely plausible. Which is it?

By "firebolt", you really mean the single-target indirect elemental fire-based spell, right?

If so, I don't find this scenario entirely plausible either.

As an indirect combat spell, it's treated like a ranged attack, so you can dodge, go on full defense, etc, etc, etc, right?

That doesn't exactly jive with the bolt just "appearing" on the target. It's got to have a trajectory of some kind, even if it's just the spell and not the effect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012