Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possession FAQ
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Buster
Possession FAQ
This page is regularly updated, so it is not necessary to read the whole thread. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to post them here, I will update this page.

1) If a mage possesses himself with one of his spirits, can he cast spells or conjure spirits?
A: No, unless the mage possesses the Channeling metamagic ability, the spirit's special attributes override the mage's and the mage loses the ability to wield magic including casting spells, conjuring spirits, and enchanting items. (Street Magic p. 102 sidebar 2nd paragraph)

2) If a mage with the Channeling metamagic ability possesses himself with one of his spirits, can he wield magic?
A: Yes, the mage's special attributes override the spirit's special attributes and the mage can cast spells, conjure spirits, enchant objects, etc. (Otherwise, there is no point for Channeling.) The mage uses his own Magic attribute (not the spirit's).

3) If a mage possesses himself with one of his spirits, can he still control the spirit?
A: Yes, the mage retains complete control over the spirit. He can mentally command the spirit to walk somewhere, pick up something, say something, and so on without expending a service. He can also command the spirit to expend Services as usual. If the mage is possessed by someone else's spirit, he obviously would not be able to control the other mage's spirit without the use of Banishing.

4) Can a mage with the Channeling metamagic ability control a spirit possessing him that is owned by someone else?
No (well, maybe). By the RAW, the channeler only has to allow himself to be willingly possessed, no one has to give the channeler explicit control of the spirit. By this interpretation, in a sense, a Channeler can turn the tables on possessing spirits and can become a tarbaby for hapless spirits. (Street Magic p54). However, it also says that Channeling is used by magicians to "enhance their control over spirits", so it seems that in the spirit of the rules (no pun intended), it would seem the answer would actually be "No" unless the channeler was given control of the spirit (as a remote service) or if the channeler succeeded in Banishing and re-Summoning the spirit.

5) Can people notice the spirit in the mage?
A: Yes. Unless the mage (or the spirit) possesses the Masking metamagic ability (or Aura Masking spirit power), the spirit can be spotted with Astral Perception using the Assensing rules. Furthermore, unless the spirit has the Realistic Form power or is under the effect of a Mask/Physical-Mask illusion spell, a powerful spirit could be noticeable to mundanes using the shamanic mask rules. (Street Magic p. 102 sidebar 1st paragraph. See SR4 p. 168 for shamanic mask rules). Possible manifestations of this phenomena include (but are not limited to) glowing eyes, ectoplasmic wisps radiating from the body, otherworldly voice, and alien spectral facial features. Furthermore, unless the mage has acquired the Channeling metamagic ability, people who know the mage would notice that the hybrid being behaves significantly differently than the mage including a different gait, speech pattern, and possibly a different voice if the spirit was powerful enough.

5 b) What does the possessed character look like?
A: There's nothing in the rules about what a possessed character looks like or if there are any ways to modify that spotting role. P.102 says "Occasionally a possessing spirit’s nature manifests through the vessel in an effect similar to a shamanic mask (p. 168, SR4). Success not only notices the possessing/inhabiting spirit, but also delivers some clues as to what the spirit “really looks like." P. 95 has a little more detail and says "To notice a spirit possessing/inhabiting a vessel, an observer must make a Perception Test and beat a threshold of 6 – the spirit’s Force." If they are using their powers, they may be a little easier to spot: "At the gamemaster’s discretion, the use of the spirit’s powers may create an effect like a shamanic mask, adding a +2 dice pool modifier to the Perception Test." Spotters just get 6 minus spirit's force to spot the spirit in the person even if the possessed character is 10 miles down the street, hiding behind a curtain, wearing a trenchcoat sunglasses and hat, and standing deep in shadow. I've always taken the "traditional" approach and figured a possessed character could have an otherworldly voice ("THERE IS NO DANA, ONLY ZHUUL"), spectral eyes (Spawn), or (at higher force) more exotic effects like ectoplasmic wisps of shadow, writhing skin, and such. So by that paradigm, the possessed character gets perception mods to his concealment roll such as distance, shadow, heavy clothing, etc. Therefore the possessing character could conceal his nature (depending on what the GM says the "special effects" are of the possession) with a Physical Mask spell or even a mundane disguise. For example, an electronic speech synthesizer on the throat would conceal an otherworldly voice but wouldn't do anything to disguise transparent glowing skin.

6) Is the mage/spirit hybrid dual natured?
Yes, which means the mage/spirit hybrid is simultaneously astrally-perceiving and normally-perceiving all the time without the -2 penalty. (SR4 Errata v.1.5 p. 3). If the mage (or spirit) has the Masking metamagic ability, the mage can hide the fact that the being is dual natured.

7) Can a spirit that is possessing someone without Channeling use their Adept abilities?
No because the spirit's Magic attribute overrides the host's Magic attribute and the Adept loses all his adept abilities while possessed. (the example in Street Magic shows a Technomancer losing all his abilities while possessed).

8_) Does a Mystic Adept that is possessed and has Channeling keep access to his Adept abilities?
A: Yes because with Channeling, the Mystic Adept's Magic attribute overrides the spirit's Magic attribute and therefore can cast spells, conjure spirits, and use his adept abilities.

9) Can a person possessed by a spirit with a high force (and therefore a high essence) get a bunch more cyberware installed, using up that additional essence?
A: Nothing in the RAW prevents this. But the spirit might not like being stuck in the same body for the rest of the host's life and if the spirit was ever forced out or disrupted, the host would die instantly. *** Hopefully errata will eliminate this issue by changing the phrase "use the spirit's special attributes" to "use the lower of the host's or the spirit's special attributes". ***

10) Immunity to Normal Weapons:
10 a) Does Immunity to Normal Weapons stack with normal armor?
A: Yes (with clarifications). The extra damage resistance protection provided by Immunity to Normal Weapons stacks with the extra damage resistance from body armor just like the extra damage resistance from Hardened Armor critter power, dermal armor, cyberlimb armor, Mystic Armor adept power, etc. At no time do armors reduce incoming power, but they always give you extra damage resistance dice. However, only the "hardened armor" provided by Immunity to Normal Weapons bounces weapons, so you'd need to keep track of which armor is which (SR4 p. 288).
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
If you have 8 points of Hardened Armor and 8 points of regular armor and are hit by a 9P attack, then the Hardened armor does not completely stop the attack, and the regular Armor does not downgrade the attack from lethal to stun. But both give you +8 dice to your damage resistance test, which is a lot. Also, AP applies towards each set of Armor/Hardened Armor separately as per the rules, reducing both the DV that they have a special effect against and the amount of bonus damage resistance dice they add.

10 b) Does APDS ammo affect Immunity to Normal Weapons?
A: Yes. Immunity to Normal Weapons power is the same thing as the Hardened Armor power (i.e. is reduced by -4 by non-magical AP weapons) but just doesn't work AT ALL against magical attacks (such as a critter power, adept power, spell, or weapon focus) or non-magical attacks that are made from a substance or energy the spirit is allergic to (SR4 p. 288). As for fluff justification: APDS ammo isn't necessarily made from mundane steel jacketing. You could say that it is made from alchemically purified radical depleted-uranium (called "munchkinbanium" maybe?) which not only gives it armor piercing qualities towards body armor but also against Immunity to Normal Weapons paracritters like spirits and vampires.

10 c) Does shock ammo and shock weapons bypass Immunity to Normal Weapons?
A: No. Unless the weapon or ammo is magical (i.e. a critter power, adept power, spell, or power focus) or is made from a substance or energy the spirit is allergic to, the spirit/host is protected by the full value of the Immunity to Normal Weapons power. SR4 p. 288. From a fluff justification for the Rules As Written, shock weapons like tasers work by running an electric current through an living creature's nervous system, disrupting brain, nerve, and muscle function. Spirits are not living creatures nor do they have muscles or a nervous system.

11) If I have a possession tradition, does my Ally have the Possession or Materialization power?
A: Possession replaces the Ally's Materialization power (just as with all their other spirits).
QUOTE (Synner)
The errata for Street Magic will clarify that, during design, ally spirits can be given either Materialization/Possession (depending on the tradition of the conjuror) or Inhabitation at the initiate's choice (note - don't forget you now have to invest in an ally conjuring metamagic to get an ally in the first place). Inhabitation (much like Materialization and Possession) is not a power you can otherwise buy/assign during ally creation, so such spirits should never possess any combination of the aforementioned powers at the same time.
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=17259

12) Does a mage have to expend services to make a spirit possess/de-possess a vessel?
A: No (but with clarifications below). Just like with Materialization, the "service" is "Protect me and my team with Guard for 12 hours" or "Kill these people with your powers", you don't spend a service to bring the spirit into the Material world and then another service to have it use physical powers or do a physical task. However, if you just ask for Guard protection, it's possible the spirit will just possess you long enough to cast his power, then return to his home plane. You should specifically ask for "possession enhancement" (i.e. all the benefits of being possessed) as your service in order for the spirit to possess you for 12 hours. However in the case of possessing, de-possessing, then re-possessing a host (for example when trying to enter a Ward undetected while protected by a possessing spirit), it is possible that a grumpy spirit may demand an additional service in order to re-possess a host. This situation would be a good reason to have the Negotiation skill or the Spirit Affinity positive quality. See Street Magic pages 94-95, "Spirit Services":
Therefore, a spirit ordered to use Guard on someone would need to use Materialize or Possession before it could do so, and both actions would only require one service (though it might immediately go back to astral plane while sustaining the Guard effect, depending on what other services it was performing at the time).

13) Does it cost a service to de-possess a vessel?
A: No, it never costs a service to end a service.

14) Does it cost a service to ask a spirit to use a metaplanar shortcut to cross a mana barrier (such as a Ward)?
A: Yes, it costs one service to ask a spirit to use a metaplanar shortcut (p. 94 Street Magic).

15) What is the augmented maximum of a possessed host?
A: (host's maximum + spirit's Force) * 1.5. E.g. A human possessed by Force 4 spirit has an augmented maximum of (6 + 4) * 1.5 = 15.

16) If I bind a spirit, can I make it possess me forever?
A: Yes, but even if the command is "Possess me forever", it still costs you one service every dawn and dusk (i.e. every 12 hours unless you're in Antartica or the Arctic circle). This could get expensive since you still have to re-bind the spirit (consuming binding materials) when you run out of services.

17) Can a possessed car drive itself?
A: Yes. A possessing spirit has complete control over the mechanical aspects of it's vessel, so it can roll a car on its wheels (nice way to save gas), push the touchscreen buttons on the radio, and could even start itself if it uses an old-fashioned mechanical ignition switch. A spirit could walk around when possessing a vessel built with moving parts (such as a manikin, anthropomorphic golem, or chain), but could not walk around when possessing a table or gun. It could fire the gun, but it can't move the gun or aim without using spells or other powers.

18) Can a possession spirit control the electronics in its vessel?
A: Possession spirits (as well as Materialized spirits) can control electronic devices using their built in controls (including AR controls if they have AR gloves and goggles) just like a metahuman. However, they don't have the ability to control electrical devices internally or use its host's DNI to control devices. The example in the book lists starting a car (just like Christine), but it isn't clear if the author was thinking of antique cars that have mechanical ignition switches or cars in 2070 which have electronic fob starters.

Hope this helps.

***If anyone has further questions (or arguments), I will update this post.***
Synner
Which reminds me, I need to get that Street Magic web supplemental posted sooner or later.
Fortune
QUOTE (Synner)
Which reminds me, I need to get that Street Magic web supplemental posted sooner or later.

Yes ... yes you do!
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Buster @ Jul 30 2007, 05:02 PM)
6) Is the mage/spirit hybrid dual natured?
Yes, which means the mage/spirit hybrid is astrally perceiving all the time without the -2 penalty.  If the mage (or spirit) has the Masking metamagic ability, the mage can hide the fact that the being is dual natured.

This was certainly true in the past. However, when I was looking it up the other day (SR4 p. 182 and p. 286 in particular) I saw no mention made that Dual-Natured removed the normal -2 dice pool penalty. In fact, p. 286 specifically states that creatures with Dual-Natured are just like a mage using Astral Perception. Additionally, while Dual-Natured, you're not automatically astrally perceiving all the time; you have to focus on one world or the other. You just can't stop being Dual-Natured, unlike a mage using Astral Perception, and are thus vulnerable to attack on both planes.

Note that the penalty is only when you're actively viewing the Astral Plane and trying to do something in the material world. It's not a penalty you suffer just by being Dual-Natured.

Can you please cite page references to the contrary?
Buster
(SR4 Errata v.1.5 p. 3). I updated the first post too.
Ol' Scratch
The Errata strikes again.
Buster
Added the Mask/Physical-Mask illusion spell mitigation to #5.
twilite
Does a Mystic Adept that is possessed and Channeling keep access to his Adept abilities? Can a Spirit that is possessing someone without Channeling use their Adept abilities?
Buster
Good questions, I added them to the list in the first post.
WeaverMount
So if an adept had a possession mage on there team it might even make sense for the adept to pick up Channeling
Buster
True. Updated #4 above.
Buster
Added question #9. (no answer yet)
nathanross
I remember hearing that a spirit that failed the possession test could not try to possess again for 24 hours, what page in SM is this written, I do not see it in this or the official SM FAQ.
Kyoto Kid
...page 101 Street Magic

A possessing spirit may be ejected from the vessel into
the astral plane with a normal Banishing Test (p.180, SR4).
If the possession fails or the spirit is banished, the critter may
not attempt to possess that vessel again until the sun next rises
or sets.  For more details, see Spirits and Vessels, p. 95.

...I guess I should be pretty familiar with this one. grinbig.gif
nathanross
I never distrusted that that was there KK, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't misread, don't know how I missed it. Maybe I just saw banished and thought that it only applied then. Thanks.
Kyoto Kid
...yeah, I've overlooked stuff in the books myself. I'd be right on the page & the text I was looking for was hiding in plain sight (bloody hell, I hate ninja writers...) grinbig.gif
hyzmarca
If a magician of a Possession tradition summons a spirit with Endowment and makes it Endow him with Possession, then Astrally projects and possess a person or an object, does he still suffer from Essence Loss over time?
Jaid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If a magician of a Possession tradition summons a spirit with Endowment and makes it Endow him with Possession, then Astrally projects and possess a person or an object, does he still suffer from Essence Loss over time?

iirc, it's the astral form ability that lets you live on the astral, not the materialisation of possession powers.
FriendoftheDork
Look I have a question... if a character had been possessed partly, with the spirit not in control and supressed to the subconscious of the possessed (ignoring that may be impossible), would the being still show up as dual natured, would the possessed be able to see in astral space (or just the spirit)?

Since the possessed is in power most of the time, the spirits magic is overidden as if the roles had been reversed - would it still be able to use astral perception (or would a possessed adept be able to use his astral perception)?
Big D
[ Spoiler ]

EDIT: Sorry about that.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Big D)
Couple of catches... for starters, your case involves Inhabitation, not Possession. So you'd need to go by the Inhabitation Merge rules...

Except that there is no RAW case where the inhabitation process leaves the spirit in the body without killing the host. If the spirit fails to inhabit (which requires a crit glitch by the spirit), then the process simply fails and the vessel is safe from the spirit forever.

Since that's not what happened, I'd recommend treating Uzz as a Flesh Form, with a few changes. That gives him Dual Nature, Immunity to Normal Weapons, Realistic Form, and Aura Masking, plus the buffed physical stats, spirit powers, and casting.

To keep the HoG from turning him into a munchkin, I'd probably drop INW, the buffed stats, and the spirit powers/spells. Realistic Form doesn't really mean anything (it's still Uzz), and Aura Masking is optional, depending on how grotesque you want him to look on the astral (and whether KE mages will shoot first and ask questions later). One cute thing you might want to leave him with is a weakened Hive Mind power, which may at times put him at risk of being detected by the queen, or alternatively may allow him to catch glimpses of the hive's plans.

Gah, tried to be discreet in case on of my players dump into here (silly me gave the URL). Would you mind spoiler tagging your post?

(Sindre ikke les dette!)

[ Spoiler ]
Big D
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Big D)
[ Spoiler ]

Barrens game spoiler still:

[ Spoiler ]
Jaid
who says the immunity to natural weapons stacks with anything?

(frankly, it's the interpretation that results in by far the least headaches, and so it's the interpretation that i'm sticking with. also, iirc, that's frank's interpretation, and iirc he wrote the book on spirits... or at least the section of the expansion book on spirits =P )
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 10 2007, 03:57 AM)
who says the immunity to natural weapons stacks with anything?

(frankly, it's the interpretation that results in by far the least headaches, and so it's the interpretation that i'm sticking with. also, iirc, that's frank's interpretation, and iirc he wrote the book on spirits... or at least the section of the expansion book on spirits =P )

The BBB says it... or has there been an errata I'm unaware of?

Immunity: "The critter gains an armor rating equal to twice it's magic against that damage." (normal weapons) "This immunity armor is treated like "hardened" protection (see Hardened Armor above), (...)"

Hardened Armor: "(...)Otherwise, Hardened Armor provides both ballistic and impact armor equal to it's rating."

I can't see how this can be interpreted to mean that spirits either are unaffected by normal weapons or have no armor against them....

Expansion book of spirits? If you mean Street Magic I've found no rules on Immunity against normal weapons there, and even so rules in expansion books should not contradict the rules in the main rulesbook, except if there is an errata.

EDIT: Shit I must have misread you totally. Well nothing says Hardened armor or Immunity stacks with Mystic armor OR worn armor. From the mystic armor text it may be applied that it ONLY stacks with worn armor, at least that it doesen't stack with the Armor spell.

Still, 6 dice in ballistic and impact armor is pretty good even if it doesen't stack with worn armor.
Fortune
I'm not sure how you read into any of that that INW officially stacks with other armor. It merely states that INW acts like Hardened armor.
FriendoftheDork
Yup, misunderstood his intent, I've edited my post.
Fortune
No harm, no foul. smile.gif
DTFarstar
So INW doesn't stack with worn armor? Huh, I could have sworn I read somewhere that it does. I'm too tired and it's too late for me to try and find it though. Seems weird that armor spells, mystic armor, and worn armor all stack, but not INW.

I guess it helps with balance or something.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
So INW doesn't stack with worn armor? Huh, I could have sworn I read somewhere that it does. I'm too tired and it's too late for me to try and find it though. Seems weird that armor spells, mystic armor, and worn armor all stack, but not INW.

I guess it helps with balance or something.

Chris

I'm not even sure Armor stacks with Mystic Armor. Both stacks with worn armor, but it doesen't say they stack with eachother. Dermal plating seems to stack with everything except squid... errhh, orthoskin.

Damn is this in the FAQ somewhere? I'm confused.
DTFarstar
You aren't alone, buddy. I've always let everything stack because it's never seemed to affect things too much, but then again I've stated before that I'm generally better with tactics than my players(I dumb it down when the opposition is dumb, but if they have average logic or greater and training then prepare for me to break out the tactics.) Also I trust my players to both keep things within normal bounds and miss big exploits because none of them are true munchkins or rules lawyers. They aren't familiar with the rules and don't want to be.

Chris
hyzmarca
Stacking hardened armor and normal armor has always been a problem, since the two behave completely differently. There are no canon rules for combining the two.

Some people would suggest comparing it to the external armor to determine if it is reduced to stun, rolling the external armor to reduce the DV, and then comparing the result to the natural armor rating to determine if it penetrates.

Others would suggest just adding the two ratings and making it all hardened.

I would suggest adding only half of the non-hardened rating to the hardened armor's rating.
DTFarstar
I calculate hardened as hardened, if it bypasses that then I allow AP to affect the target twice. Once on the hardened check, then add whatever that modified armor value is to the normal value and then let AP hit the normal armor as well. It seems to work well balance wise and makes sense with the way I imagine hardened armor.

Chris
FriendoftheDork
So far there hasn't been an incident where someone with hardened armor also have worn armor (spirits generally don't wear it, although they probably could).

But for me the logical approach would be to check for no damage first using only hardened armor, and if that fails I check for conversion to stun using total armor (both times reduced/improved by AP). If that also fails the target resists as normal, adding all the dice together modified by AP.

Or why shouldn't I do that?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
So far there hasn't been an incident where someone with hardened armor also have worn armor (spirits generally don't wear it, although they probably could).

But for me the logical approach would be to check for no damage first using only hardened armor, and if that fails I check for conversion to stun using total armor (both times reduced/improved by AP). If that also fails the target resists as normal, adding all the dice together modified by AP.

That is the literal way the rules are written.

Hardened Armor checks the modified DV to see if it negates the entire damage. If not, it adds damage resistance dice equal to its rating.

Regular armor checks the modified DV to see if it transforms Physical to Stun, and adds damage resistance dice either way.

So while both values are individually reduced by AP, and both values add to the damage resistance test, the values don't add to each other at any point while their effects are being calclated. So if you have regular armor and hardened armor side by side for any reason you'll end up with a lot of damage resistance dice and AP will become more attractive against you (since it reduces two different ratings which will both be added to your damage resistance test).

-Frank
Buster
There's nothing in the rules that says that INW does not stack with other armor, so it does. INW stacks just like dermal armor, cyberlimb armor, etc. However, only the hardened armor bounces weapons, so you'd need to keep track of which was which.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Sep 10 2007, 08:56 AM)

That is the literal way the rules are written.

Hardened Armor checks the modified DV to see if it negates the entire damage. If not, it adds damage resistance dice equal to its rating.

Regular armor checks the modified DV to see if it transforms Physical to Stun, and adds damage resistance dice either way.

So while both values are individually reduced by AP, and both values add to the damage resistance test, the values don't add to each other at any point while their effects are being calclated. So if you have regular armor and hardened armor side by side for any reason you'll end up with a lot of damage resistance dice and AP will become more attractive against you (since it reduces two different ratings which will both be added to your damage resistance test).

-Frank

Why would you apply AP twice? That doesen't seem right, and makes it twice as good for no reason.

In the damage resistance roll you add all the armor together and then add AP once... or do you also add AP both to a sammie's armor jacket AND his dermal plating? Which would mean Dermal plating sucks...
Big D
I'll throw out an example, based on what I *think* Frank is saying (and I may certainly be wrong).

Motoko Kusanagi is an experimental Force 6 Inhabited Flesh Form Ally camping in a borged-up body. Among other things, she has, call it 10 armor from her cyberlimbs (yes, it could easily be double that). She is wearing her favorite armor jacket (8/6), when some fool with a gun takes a shot at her, and by some miracle, hits.

If the DV does not exceed her 12 Hardened Armor (less AP), she takes no damage.

If the DV exceeds her 12 Hardened Armor, but fails to exceed her 18B normal armor (less AP), she takes stun damage, and resists in either case with her *remaining* Hardened Armor+Normal Armor+Body--which means, essentially, (Hardened Armor-AP)+(Normal Armor-AP)+Body.

So, if you're hunting spirits, and *especially* if you're hunting bugs, you want AP.

... or SNS *runs*
Tycho
i would say that INW don't tack because nothing stacks in SR4, unless it is mentioned in the rules. multible layers of armor doesn't stack. A mage with a possessed Force 5 Spirit is really good protected, he don't need other armor.

cya
Tycho
Buster
QUOTE (Tycho @ Sep 10 2007, 02:42 PM)
i would say that INW don't tack because nothing stacks in SR4, unless it is mentioned in the rules. multible layers of armor doesn't stack. 

Sure they do, cyberlimb armor stacks with worn armor which stacks with an Armor spell.
Fortune
I guess that's why Tycho added the "unless it is mentioned in the rules" part. wink.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Fortune)
I guess that's why Tycho added the "unless it is mentioned in the rules" part. wink.gif

The rules doesen't say if dermal plating stacks with mystic armor or the armor spell, although it does say that all those stack with worn armor. Should we then assume that you can only benefit from one of those at the time in addition to worn armor?

Also, a Troll's natural armor is cumulative with natural armor, but where does it say it is cumulative with dermal plating or the armor spell?

We just assume so. Now some critters have natural Armor power, which stacks with worn armor.

Hardened Armor is said to be even tougher than normal armor, but why should it not stack with worn armor also? It doesen't make sense and makes it somewhat of a weakness (at least when the hardened armor is low to begin with) - which doesen't make sense. "Immunity" works like Hardened armor against a specific form of attack, and again I can't see how they can't benefit from worn armor even if it doesen't specifically say so.

Oh, and BTW Big D I still don't understand why AP should be applied to both hardened armor and "normal" armor. Normal which can consist of 3 or 4 types of different kinds of armor that all stack...
Buster
Added #11.
Big D
I'm just going off of what Frank posted. Synner concurred with that in another thread, and said that there would hopefully be an official resolution one way or the other at some point.
venenum
What happens if a spirit posseses a sword or such?
Jaid
QUOTE (venenum)
What happens if a spirit posseses a sword or such?

then you get a sword that is really, really tough.

potentially, if the spirit has some method of manipulating the sword, the sword could attack, but iirc you'd an air spirit (or a spirit of man with the right spell).

essentially, it isn't (directly) much different from a spirit possessing a rock, imo.
venenum
Oh okay.
MaxHunter
I haven't got any mages playing with the possession tradition, but I might have one or an NPC in the future. So I do have some questions, which I believe are pretty basic... anyway;

-I always assumed those mages summoned spirits to let them possess themselves. -which is supported by tradition- now: Can they bring them to possess willing party members? unwilling foes? animals? paracritters? dual natured beings like ghouls? vampires? other manifested spirits?

I would like to know whether the above cases are possible, if these happen usually in game and what special effects would come up into play eventually.

Thanks and sorry if I am asking obvious questions.

Cheers,

Max

Buster
Street Magic p101 and the sidebars on 102 and 103 and this FAQ answers all those questions.
Buster
Added #12.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012