Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microtrancievers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
FriendoftheDork
Hey, back in previous editions Mictrotransievers and similar tactical communication gear was almost mandatory on runs.

My players brought this to my attention: With commlinks being cheap and so versatile, what's the point of using any other means of communication devices? Initially I thought communicating with mictrotrancievers would be more secure, but it seems it has the same kind of encryption that commlinks have, so it should be just as easy to intercept, sabotage or jam.

Sure, commlinks can be hacked, while I'm not sure that MTs can, but then again most runners use commlinks as well. Sure, you can turn them off but that means you lose out on another advantage comlinks have: Using tactical maps in conjunction with verbal communication.

So can you tell me what's the point of MTs? Are they just mementos of a past time, communication dinosaurs, or do they provide a benefit compared to comlinks?

Fortune
They are always useful as a backup comm system. wink.gif
Cursedsoul
I forget who mentioned it in another topic but they brought up the point of if your commlink is compromised, EVERYTHING on that commlink is now compromised (or very well could be) so unless all you use it for is MT style purposes, you're taking a bigger risk.

With a MT if they hack/jam/sabotage it all you've lost are communications and not stuff like contact phone numbers, addresses, places you think are really whiz and hang out at all the time (thus making it easier to find you), etc, etc.

Also, MTs are pretty damn cheap. 1200 nuyen.gif for a rating 6, signal 6 device used for communications is awesome compared to 8000 nuyen.gif for a fairlight caliban with a signal of 5. You also need an operating system to go along with it, pushing the cost up further and frankly, if you're going to be bringing your commlink on a run you better be DAMN sure you've got a superduper firewall because otherwise well, you might as well use a MT for all the good it'll do you to bring it along just to get hacked without the offender batting an eyelash. smile.gif

Now if all you want is a rating 1 deal, you can get one for 200 nuyen.gif whereas the absolute cheapest commlink/os you'll buy out of the box is 300 nuyen.gif and well, that commlink is pretty useless for anything other than a decoy link to display your (fake)SIN and make the authorities happy while your super whiz amaze-o-deluxe with a side of fries commlink loaded with all sorts of goodies can operate in hidden mode or be turned off and not catch the stink eye.
Kyoto Kid
...if they brought back the Transducer (Cyber Implant) in Augmented the Micro Transceiver makes an excellent stealth comm unit totally independent from your commlink. cyber.gif
Fuchs
Can you operate a commlink in "pure radio, voice only" mode? Not accepting anything but an (probably analog) voice signal, making it impossible to hack?
kzt
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...if they brought back the Transducer (Cyber Implant) in Augmented the Micro Transceiver makes an excellent stealth comm unit totally independent from your commlink. cyber.gif

Maybe it's just me, but I've always seen having stuff built into you as having the distinct drawback that it's still built into you when the cops wander around to ask pointed questions. It's unlikely that they will find the commlink and encrypted microtranscever I threw off that bridge last night, but it seems a lot more likely they will find the encrypted microtranscever embedded in your head. Which is likely to raise just a few more questions and provide some interesting leads for them to follow.
kzt
QUOTE (Fuchs)
Can you operate a commlink in "pure radio, voice only" mode? Not accepting anything but an (probably analog) voice signal, making it impossible to hack?

I'd expect not. It sounds like trying to operate a VoIP phone without using IP.
Ol' Scratch
As others have said, it's essential a security choice. Microtranscievers are cheaper, are more secure, and have greater range. But, in all honesty, if someone can hack into your teams commlinks they probably won't have any trouble jamming or intercepting your microtranscievers, either. So it really just comes down to a choice.

It's also just as vulnerable as the rest of your PAN is if it's connected directly or indirectly to any other wireless device in the network. So you have to go with cabled earbuds and subvocals or... well, you may as well just be using your commlink if not for the greater range on the microtransciever.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 7 2007, 11:51 PM)

I'd expect not. It sounds like trying to operate a VoIP phone without using IP.

I'd expect to. It sound's like using a soft-radio.
PlatonicPimp
I think the Idea is the Microtranceiver could operate this way, making it more secure than over-matrix communications.

My personal opinion is that the micro-tranceivers don't broadcast on matrix frequencies or with matrix encoding, and so if someone wanted to intercept the signal, they'd need their own micro-tranceiver to do so.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
My personal opinion is that the micro-tranceivers don't broadcast on matrix frequencies or with matrix encoding, and so if someone wanted to intercept the signal, they'd need their own micro-tranceiver to do so.

My personal opinion is that as long as a comlink has no written frequency limitations, it tunes onto whatever frequency the software says.
If it has frequency limitations, anyone serious would custom-order a pure soft-radio.
PlatonicPimp
I interpret hooking a micro-tranceiver up to your commlink as getting that custom soft-radio. But your right, that's not anywhere in the rules.
Rotbart van Dainig
A micro-transceiver is less suitable to take full advantage of a softradio, as he lacks any real interface.
PlatonicPimp
But a microtranceiver hooked up to your commlink...
Rotbart van Dainig
..does nothing more than your commlink itself.
PlatonicPimp
I'm saying IF the commlink had a limited range of frequencies, the micro-tranceiver would act as a soft radio.

Real world comparison: my laptop has a wireless card, it can interface with other wireless devices, but can't communicate with my walky-talkies. My friend has a peice of equipment he hooks his laptop up to that allows him to send and receive data over HAM radio frequencies. My normal laptop cannot do this, but if I attached a similar device it could.

Back to SR: The commlink has wireless, as does almost everything else, but a special adapter would be needed for it to access microtranceiver signals. Incidentally, this device is a micro-tranceiver.
DireRadiant
Theoretically, a microtransciever could also be a node....

and since p 320
"The transceiver’s Signal rating is
equal to its Device rating."

and the table on P 214 also uses "Device Rating"

You can claim that a rating 6 microtransciever also acts as a rating 6 node.

Not that I would let anyone get away with that.
PlatonicPimp
Oh, it's a node, and could run all kinds of IC to protect that node. It's just not a commlink, and would not give you a persona, nor would agents running on it be able to do anything outside of it's node.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
I'm saying IF the commlink had a limited range of frequencies, the micro-tranceiver would act as a soft radio.

Why should it?

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
my laptop has a wireless card, it can interface with other wireless devices, but can't communicate with my walky-talkies.

Actually, that is because the driver/'firm'ware of it limits it to WiFi frequencies... otherwise, the FCC would be non-happy. The radio itself is a soft-radio and could do much more...

QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
The commlink has wireless, as does almost everything else, but a special adapter would be needed for it to access microtranceiver signals.

Thus, it's not really a problem for a hacker to make his commlink tune into those 'special' frequencies.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)

Why should it?

I don't know, mostly to give micro-tranceivers something to do.

I did not know that about (RL) wireless devices. How very interesting.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 7 2007, 11:46 PM)

Maybe it's just me, but I've always seen having stuff built into you as having the distinct drawback that it's still built into you when the cops wander around to ask pointed questions. It's unlikely that they will find the commlink and encrypted microtranscever I threw off that bridge last night, but it seems a lot more likely they will find the encrypted microtranscever embedded in your head. Which is likely to raise just a few more questions and provide some interesting leads for them to follow.

...the Transducer is legal Cyber (at least in SRIII it was, don't have Augmented yet.) In previous editions I had characters patch an external MT through their induction datajack to their Transducer router.

Even so, a radio or vid implant is still not illegal or even restricted cyber. As a matter of fact a lot of media people would have a whole AV studio crammed in their heads (I once ran a reporter who was a walking remote unit and editing studio).
Fuchs
You can switch cyberware to wireless mode. Can you switch Comlinks to microtransceiver mode too?
Ol' Scratch
You can turn wireless connectivity off on anything.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

iirc those are now part of the cyberjack.

there is some fluff about two people with jacks having a conversation across a fiberoptic cable...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 8 2007, 07:46 AM)

there is some fluff about two people with jacks having a conversation across a fiberoptic cable...

...do you have a page citing?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 8 2007, 11:40 AM)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 8 2007, 07:46 AM)

...do you have a page citing?

P 331, SR4, the text talking about the datajack.
Ol' Scratch
That applies to stringing a cable between two people's heads, both of whom have a Datajack. It has nothing to do with Microtranscievers which are in no way secure.
hobgoblin
true. but kyoto kid asked about the transducer. a device that could convert thought to words and back again.

to me, two people with datajacks and fibre suggests that the datajack have absorbed the functionality of the transducer.
Ol' Scratch
Ah, true, I see what you mean now. Though if the transmissions are "text messages," it makes a bit more sense.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
true. but kyoto kid asked about the transducer. a device that could convert thought to words and back again.

to me, two people with datajacks and fibre suggests that the datajack have absorbed the functionality of the transducer.

Datajacks are cyberware so they have DNI
p 330
"In addition to wireless functionality, most cyberware devices
are equipped with a direct neural interface (DNI) that
allows the user to mentally activate and control their functions."

Because a datajack has DNI, it could be used to skinlink to a micro transceiver to mimic the effects of a transducer, or if nothing else, wirelessly talk to the transciever which uses it's own signal rating to retransmit or relay.
Kyoto Kid
...thanks. Looks like Datajacks and Micro Transceivers for everyone (except Da Brat and KK).

...hmmm, I wonder if a trode net would work for them?
Ol' Scratch
Sure, trodes are just another form of DNI. But again, Datajacks are not the same as Transducers. DNI lets you control and activate devices, but you can't "talk through your brain" beyond the possibility of sending text messages and whatnot. That's exactly why there's a Transducer.
Rotbart van Dainig
There is no Transducer in SR4.
Ol' Scratch
Okay, ammendment: Why there needs to still be a Transducer.
Rotbart van Dainig
Most people seem to disagree and happily use their implanted commlink, datajack or trodes to communicate mentally.
Kyoto Kid
...yeah , but Implanted commlinks are not the same since they are always tied into to the Matrix and have a data trail associated with them. A micro transceiver functions on radio frequencies that have nothing to do the wireless matrix which is what makes them very ueseful in the field when you want to keep communications private.. You can also load (at least you could in previous editions) an MT with various electronic countermeasures to counteract jamming and eavesdropping. As has been discussed in various threads, Matrix based encryption in SR4 is something of a joke.

I guess would actually tend to agree with Dr Funk on this one and say that we then still need the Transducer, and the fact they didn't include it in Augmented is a shame.

It really isn't a big Essence/nuyen.gif sink anyway. (.1 Ess & I believe 1500 nuyen.gif in SRIII).

Wonderful little piece of 'ware.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...yeah , but  Implanted commlinks are not the same since they are always tied into to the Matrix and have a data trail associated with them.

No. They are devices that exactly do what you (or your hacker...) tells them to do. Like not automatically going online.
And if you tell them to tune into the AM band and transmit and receive in it, they will.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
A micro transceiver functions on radio frequencies that have nothing to do the wireless matrix which is what makes them very ueseful in the field when you want to keep communications private.

That is not even stated, and completely trivial concerning radio usage.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
I guess would actually tend to agree with Dr Funk on this one and say that we then still need the Transducer, and the fact they didn't include it in Augmented is a shame.

It's completely obsoleted as it is now a part of every neural interface. Or can't you talk to people in full VR with your trodes?
Kyoto Kid
...What I'm looking at is bypassing the matrix altogether. No where does it say that you need the same countermeasures for a Transceiver as you do for a Commlink to keep communications secure. This would imply that the two units operate independently of one another. A Commlink uses an array wireless matrix nodes. A Transceiver uses the standard radio bands. A Commlink can be used to contact someone a great distance away by hopping from one node to the next. A Transceiver has a set range limit based on its power (formerly flux) rating.

The thing is you really don't "Talk" to people in VR. You message them. VR displays text and graphics, and you need an active Display Link to read it, and then, you have to read it thus requiring more attention than simply listening and responding verbally. I would find that rather distracting while on a run.

OK, the Transceiver may be as old hat in 2070 as the transistor radio is in the current day. But it is simple, still works, and is not dependent on the matrix to function. I see it as this: Commlinks use one set of dedicated frequencies to link with a node and Transceivers use a different set, with each being exclusive of the other. Otherwise there would be no reason for MTs to exist in the Gear section since the Commlink does everything (except maybe make the coffee and wash the car - waitaminute, I guess they got drones for that...ohhh never mind indifferent.gif).
Ol' Scratch
I'm not really familiar with any rules for having multiple PANs. You either have one or you don't. A single wireless device hooked up to it renders the entire network vulnerable to attack through that device.

If I'm mistaking, please let me know. I'd love it if you could have multiple networks going and be able to shut one down that's under attack while maintaining your others.

Regarding transducers and their lack of an appearance in SR4: Please point to a text blurb that says audio communication is possible through pure DNI. And if it were that simple, why would anyone want a subvocal microphone that costs exactly the same as a set of trodes for their commlink.
Kyoto Kid
...excellent point, & the reason why I believe the two devices are mutually exclusive of each other.
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I'd love it if you could have multiple networks going and be able to shut one down that's under attack while maintaining your others.

I don't see why you can't do this (characters set up a phony PAN all the time and keep their real one Hidden), but they couldn't share any devices whatsoever (Image Link, Ear buds, etc) and still be secure.
Ol' Scratch
Oh, it'd be great if you could separate them completely. I just don't see how you can and still have interoperability (ie, with you being the "device" that connects everything together).

Now having a cheap commlink on you that's turned on but with which you're not personally networked to (ie, it's doing what it needs to do and you're checking up on it the old fashioned way; through the standard non-DNI interface), that's fine and that's what most people seem to be doing when they have one. Well, while simultaneously having their PAN completely skinlinked with wireless connectivity turned off, that is.
Fortune
Oh, it'd be great if you could separate them completely.  I just don't see how you can and still have interoperability (ie, with you being the "device" that connects everything together).

Well, I'm assuming that you could run one PAN either totally internally though cyber or through a datajack/skinlink combo with an external commlink, and another wirelessly through separate accessories utilizing a separate 'trode net.

You might not be able to access them both at the exact same instant, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't both be operational.
Ol' Scratch
Well yeah, that's the thing. The moment you do connect to them at the same time, game over; it's all one network. You can have wireless devices that aren't connected to your PAN, but that means you can't operate them through that PAN either. You have to either rely on old fashioned controls and interfaces or hook it up to your PAN and use your standard DNI controls. You still only ever have one PAN; you're just connecting and disconnecting devices as you see fit.
Fortune
Well yeah, that's the thing. The moment you do connect to them at the same time, game over; it's all one network.

Maybe I'm not explaining what I am picturing quite right.

I see it as two seperate networks. The only thing they would have in common is your brain, one connected via datajack (or internal commlink) and another connected via either a 'trode net or datajack (if an Internal commlink was used in the first option).

Come to think of it, I see no reason why you couldn't set up two distinct networks utilizing two separate datajacks. As above, the only thing they have in common as far as networking is your actual gray matter, which in my opinion can't be hacked to 'make a connection'.

I could foresee concentration or cognition problems if you try to actually access and process data from both networks at the same time (good time for the Attention Coprocessor?), but otherwise the networks should run simultaneously and distinctly separate from each other.

Am I wrong? If so, where?
FriendoftheDork
Boy, did this topic blow up quickly smile.gif

Ah it seems we're not the only one confused by the gear section's limited description on items, particularily how they work.

As far as I see, there is little in the rules themselves that show a benefit to using MTs contra commlinks. I see many of you have good points on how you see the use for MTs, but these are pretty liberal interpretations or even house rules.

After a while I got lost in the technical details, thinking of wireless signals and optical computers makes my head spin. Ah well. In my game I'm still going to allow EW against MTs, but I'll make them somewhat harder to intercept at least.

As for the datajack communication thing, seriously people, make your own thread wink.gif
Fuchs
Well, if we use the computer network analogy:

Here is my desktop computer. Connected to it by cable are the screen, the printer, my keyboard, speakers, a microphone, a mouse, a laptop, a UBS-external harddrive and a radio which is used for accessing the internet through a wireless connection.

Can I keep the network going, sharing data between the desktop, laptop and external harddrive, cut the wireless connection, and use the radio with speakers and microphone as a CB radio to talk with a trucker, if the radio can access those frequencies?

Could I keep a commlink on as the network hub for my PAN (through skinlink), yet drop the wireless connectivity, and opening a simple radio link (voice only)?

From what I read so far, it should be rather easily be done, and allow voice communication without being vulnerable to hacking.
Ol' Scratch
The thing you're missing, I think, is that for all intents and purposes, the character himself is the "hub" of the network. Anything connected to him is connected to everything else in his PAN. Doesn't matter if the wireless connection is using radio or any other type of wireless methods -- the rules never differentiate between them as far as I'm aware. Wireless is wireless.

Even if you have all the wireless connectivity on all your other devices turned off and are accessing them through skinlinks, plugging into a microtransciever or cheap commlink that has its wireless turned on renders them all vulnerable to attack. This is, in particular, where a microtransciever does shine over a cheap commlink as the microtransciever can easily have a Rating 6 across the board for the same price as a cheap commlink.
Fortune
Funk: I assume that response was not directed towards my post. I wouldn't mind continuing our side topic in a new thread, if you'd like.
Ol' Scratch
Sure. I'd love to see more discussion about multiple PANs. I'd honestly love it if you could do that as I get a little frustrated designing a security-conscious non-hacker character.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012