Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microtrancievers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Fuchs
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The thing you're missing, I think, is that for all intents and purposes, the character himself is the "hub" of the network. Anything connected to him is connected to everything else in his PAN. Doesn't matter if the wireless connection is using radio or any other type of wireless methods -- the rules never differentiate between them as far as I'm aware. Wireless is wireless.

Even if you have all the wireless connectivity on all your other devices turned off and are accessing them through skinlinks, plugging into a microtransciever or cheap commlink that has its wireless turned on renders them all vulnerable to attack. This is, in particular, where a microtransciever does shine over a cheap commlink as the microtransciever can easily have a Rating 6 across the board for the same price as a cheap commlink.

My question is exactly if it is possible to pick a "no wireless matrix, only analogue radio" mode for a commlink, which would mean that as far as anything in the PAN is concerned, there is no wireless connection.

If I tune my commlink to the local FM station, to listen to the latest music hitlist, but shut the wireless matrix connection off, how could anyone hack into it? It's not in wireless matrix mode, it's simply being used as a radio, and not set to receive wireless data.
Ol' Scratch
Sure, you can have your commlink on and working just fine. You just can't be controlling it through DNI or have it plugged in or anything; you have to rely on the "analog" old school controls, such as its video display and roll-out keyboard. It's only a liability if it's part of your PAN, which it becomes the moment you jack into it.
Fuchs
Why not? If I have a microtransciever implanted, I can access it by DNI/skinlink/datajack/etc., and it's not wirelessly connected to the matrix, but listening to radio waves.

Why would a commlink be unable to do the same, switch from wireless connection to skinlink, and open a radio channel?
Ol' Scratch
Once again: There's no distinction in the game. Wireless is wireless. Radio is not a separate and distinctive thing; in fact, your run of the mill commlink works as a microtransciever just fine. For all intents and purposes, a microtransciever is simply a dumbed down and specialized commlink lacking all the other bells and whistles except radio communications.

Which is exactly why it's meaningless to make a distinction. Know that commlink the enemy is using to hack into your PAN? Guess what, it has radio capabilities, too. He rides in on that, breaks through microtransciever's defenses, and voila -- he has full access to your PAN since you're jacked into it.
Fuchs
That makes not much sense, really. In order to hack a radio through the radio transmissions, the actual interface has to be switched to a mode that accepts such data signals. You cannot hack a radio that is not set to accept data, but only analog radio signals, same as you can't hack a camera by printing your code out and putting it in front of its lense.

If in my tank I switch our digital radio to analog mode, then no digital transmission has the slightest chance to be received in any other form than some noise. You won't be able to access our fire control computer, even though the thing is hooked up to the radio. However, we can still talk just fine on the radio, and use the computer just fine.

If I switch the digital mode on, then wham - our computer is networked, able to send and receive data from the spotter and the howitzers. And could probably be hacked into. But it's the same radio, just another mode.
Ol' Scratch
Once again: No such thing as distinct wireless bands. Analog or otherwise. Wireless. Is. Wireless. I don't know how to make that any more clear. smile.gif
Fuchs
But wireless is not wireless. I made an actual, real life example how analog signals and digital signals can mean the difference between data links and pure voice only link. If I set my digital radio to analog mode, then all your fancy data hacking won't find a receptor, since the mode simply won't recognise those signals.

It's not different bands, it is different modes of transmitting. A digital signal can't be used to hack into a radio receiver that is set to analog.
Ol' Scratch
Shadowrun is not real life. There have been two major crashes in the Shadowrun timeline, both reinventing how technology works. Crash 2.0 did an even bigger overhaul than the original did. And in Shadowrun, wireless is wireless.
Fuchs
I beg to differ. In Shadowrun, the 20th century did see anolog radio. They did not lose that tech in the crash, nor did they lose the knowledge of it.
Ol' Scratch
Yep. And no one's stolen the secrets of stringing a tin can together with a piece of twine, either, and using that as a communication device. Or building bonfires and waving a blanket over it to send smoke signals. Or blowing a horn made out of an elephant's tusk. Or any other outdated forms of communication.

The problem is, no one else is using it.

"Wireless" is a distinct term in the game. There is no "wireless: radio" or "wireless: Matrix" distinctions. In fact, the only radio device in the game -- a microtransciever -- has commlink stats on it.

If you want to come up with your own rules and your own devices using outdated forms of communication, nothing's stopping you aside from "you have to make house rules for it."
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, Matrix had 'rules' on old-school radio communication.
Let's hope Unwired at least touches the issue.
Fuchs
I would not call a communication form that prevents the enemy from hacking into your network "outdated". I'd also assume that at least the military would have such systems set up, even if only as an emergency means of communication.
Wasabi
Since it takes many rounds to hack a high-rating encryption placed on a transmission and only the right impossibly-long passcode allows someone to read that signal is there any reason a hacker wouldn't have hundreds or thousands of pre-setup encryptions and passcodes put in place and then frustrate sniffing attempts by having a set of agents rotate which encryption is active every few rounds?

It could certainly be defeated by spoofing the agents to disrupt communications or spoofing the agents to have them relay the passcodes to a rogue commlink. The set of all hundreds or thousands of encryption passcodes could get stolen by a hacker exploiting in.

I'm not saying its foolproof, just really great at forcing an intruding hacker to exploit into a possibly well-protected chokepoint of a node.
Buster
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 9 2007, 07:06 AM)
I would not call a communication form that prevents the enemy from hacking into your network "outdated". I'd also assume that at least the military would have such systems set up, even if only as an emergency means of communication.

How can "analog radio" prevent a commlink from running Scan or Sniffer on your communication? Funk is right, there isn't any distinction between digital and analog wireless communication in the game, it's just "wireless". You're still broadcasting wirelessly and any commlink will hear you.

The only advantage to using a transceiver-only communication system is that if it's hacked, intruders won't get your messages, contact lists, SIN, etc. that's stored in your commlink.
Rotbart van Dainig
You don't 'hack' it. You intercept it.

If it's a data connection, you could start hacking then.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Buster)
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Aug 9 2007, 07:06 AM)

How can "analog radio" prevent a commlink from running Scan or Sniffer on your communication? Funk is right, there isn't any distinction between digital and analog wireless communication in the game, it's just "wireless". You're still broadcasting wirelessly and any commlink will hear you.

The only advantage to using a transceiver-only communication system is that if it's hacked, intruders won't get your messages, contact lists, SIN, etc. that's stored in your commlink.

Exactly. And won't be able to hack the smartlink, cybereyes, cyberears and skillwires hooked up to it.

And, taking a small page from RL again - a few simple codes (codenames for locations, tactics, and callsigns) could make it much harder for the opposition to gain that much from listening in. "Blue-1 in Foxtrott-6" has no meaning for anyone who listens in, but anyone in the team knows this means that in 30 seconds, the Hacker will trigger the halon system.
Rotbart van Dainig
And, honestly - if someone is using commlinks in broadcast-and-listen-only modes, they can't be hacked anyway... no matter if they transmit analog or digital.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
And, honestly - if someone is using commlinks in broadcast-and-listen-only modes, they can't be hacked anyway... no matter if they transmit analog or digital.

Some people keep saying that this mode does not exist and in Shadowrun, no one thought (maybe even no one would think) of adding such a mode.
Rotbart van Dainig
Perhaps because they burned all books on signal theory. Together with those on cryptography.
Buster
I forgot to mention one distinction: subscribing to each other's commlinks would be useful if you wanted to Encrypt (and embed IC in the encryption) the communication channels between your nodes and allow your IC/agents to roam your team's network looking for intruders. Technically you shouldn't need to subscribe to Encrypt your non-subscription wireless communication, but I'm guessing you would need to subscribe if you wanted to embed IC in the encryption.
Kyoto Kid
...whoa, lots of new posts Since i started this response.

The thing is, if the MT is hardwired to the character (via a datajack and the "obsolete" Transducer) and isn't subscribed to by a commlink, then if should be secure from hacking. However, more conventional methods of EW such as using a jammer or ECCMs would work if the MT isn't protected against them.

I am not going on "house rules" as much as the rules fro Comm systems from previous editions. I think the lack of rules covering this is an oversight in the current edition because of the now ubiquitous all purpose commlink.
Scope_47
QUOTE (Buster)

As I pointed out in another thread, a micro-transeiver also isn't chattery - a commlink with wireless is always 'online' and sending packets between the matrix and itself. A micro-transiever only sends communications out when you are actually talking on it. That doesn't keep it from being spoofed - nor does it keep a hacker from breaking the encryption on the signals you do send out. What it DOES do however, is it means that a simple radio-scanner in a building's security system won't pick it up and be able to use it to track your movements constantly - it can only pick it up while you are transmitting. Its the classic idea of 'radio silence.' The primary benefit of a micro-transeiver is the fact that it is a stealth item. If you are going full frontal assault all the time or are only where you are supposed to be, then no, there isn't a reason for the micro-transiever. But if you are, say, sneaking into the Mitsuama Muffin Factory to steal the plans for the McGuffin '71, then you really don't want your commlink automatically connecting to the matrix for software updates / checking e-mail / refresh connection/ etc as it constantly does - because that creates a lot of radio noise that can be tracked and triangulated by sensors... bad news bears. Micro-transeiver gives you the option of communicating without constantly sending out signals - you send when you need to... and this benefit comes specifically from it not having all those bells and whistles that a commlink has.

Also, a microtranseiver is a subvocal mike connected to an ear-bud secret-service style... so it also can't be used as a way to hack into your other gear since it isn't connected to your other gear.

summary:

Commlink: easier to detect, if it gets hacked then you lose both communications and anything else that relied on the commlink. Hackers also get more than enough personal data that they can make your life a living hell - since not only do they know you did a run against them but they also know all your contact numbers, messages, fake SIN, etc (this can be protected against by diligent use of fresh re-installs and making the hardware check to modify it to send a phony ID code).

Micro-Transeiver: Only detectable when its actually being used, nothing other than communications is compromised if it gets hacked/spoofed/jammed/whatever you want to call it. (No, walkie talkies can't be hacked... BUT - you can override the signal with one of your own, cancel out the signal, etc with the proper equipment- basically anything that a hacker could do to a micro-transeiver being as a micro-transeiver is limited by what its hardware allows it to do... this is actually called IRL Communications Countermeasures, but for the abstract rules of the game it falls under hacking as far as I can tell). Also, the micro-transeiver still works in matrix dead zones unlike a commlink - so for those runs in the Barrens or out in the wilderness, its essential unless you all want to carry satellite uplinks on your backs.

In short, if you want a stealthy operation (which the BBB states plainly is what micro-transeivers are for), use a skinlinked commlink with wireless turned off to be the hub of your equipment such as smartlinks etc, and have a non-skinlinked micro-transeiver for communications. That way, the only think hackers can do to you is make it so that you can't talk to each other... and in order to do that they have to take actions to decrypt and spoof every single transmission you make... so realistically you are trading your free action away to use up a complex action of the hacker's... that is a good fragging deal if you ask me - cause that's an action he's not using to rig drones, lock doors, scramble maglocks, or generally be onerous in a much more immediate way. And, chummers, there are always military hand signals... and also, sometimes the communications get through anyway if you transmit more often than the hacker has actions. Oh yeah, and one other thing... unlike a commlink, a micro-transeiver doesn't leave a traceable matrix trail - so you don't have to worry about spoofing it later (or doing the hardware equivalent), or having them backtrack matrix logs to figure out exactly where you came from before you arrived on their property.

Like I said:
Commlink = more versatility, less stealth, less security
Micro-Transeiver (provided you turn the fragging commlink wireless off): more stealth, more security, less versatility (no video, no shared map, no gps... nothing but plain Old School voice communications).

Besides, micro-transeivers are thematically cooler... spies and commandos always use radios in the movies (with the exception of transformers, but that was a special case)... not cell phones... its just cooler that way smile.gif

- Scope_47
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Scope_47)
a commlink with wireless is always 'online' and sending packets between the matrix and itself.

Where did you pull that one from? indifferent.gif
Scope_47
Check the wireless section of the BBB, page 224 - the sidebar.

Everywhere you or your PAN go, you leave a datatrail

Using common sense, you can see how this works given that the Commlink is the hub of any PAN, and it is referenced multiple times in fluff as constantly downloading software updates etc - see the arguments made about that in the thread on software piracy.

- Scope_47
Fuchs
And you could not use a commlink in "MT" mode (radio) exactly why?

People who can build and repair cyberware and program agents are somehow unable to give a commlink such a function?
Scope_47
Sure you can, but that isn't a basic commlink anymore - you've altered it and entered the realm of houserules since the BBB doesn't have rules in it for that, but it specifically says under micro-transeiver: "This classic short-range communications device is perfect for discreet operations. The micro-transceiver consists of an earbud and adhesive subvocal microphone" - obviously expecting people to intuitively understand what that entails. Under commlinks, it specifically goes into the modes that they can function in: Active, Passive, and Hidden - and gives matrix rules for detecting the hidden node. Now, I'd personally have no problem housruling a modified commlink to work as a micro-transceiver, but that isn't RAW, and not everybody has the hardware skill or contacts with it to alter a commlink in that way.

Besides, if you alter your commlink in that way, the the hacker can still get into it and get all that juicy paydata out of your link - he just has to do it on a different frequency now - and if I houseruled it for you then you can be gosh-darned sure that your character didn't have an original idea. The point of the micro-transeiver is that if it gets compromised, only communications are compromised - there are no worries about tracking, the enemy getting your fake SIN info (costly since you now have to buy a new one), your contacts info (more costly, since that'll make them mad when nasty people burst down their door), etc.

Now, the original question was 'what is the purpose of the micro-transceiver as per the BBB.' Unless we make houserules, I believe that that is fairly clear.
otakusensei
"This classic short-range communications device is perfect for discreet operations. The micro-transceiver consists of an earbud and adhesive subvocal microphone"

Sounds like the classic, but limited, party band analog wireless communication system from every spy movie you've ever seen. No reason to believe that you could transmit, or for that reason hack, a matrix signal over it. You could connect it to your commlink if you didn't want to use a seperate interface (i.e. the earbud and mic) but other than that it's completely limited. It's just a signal rating and an interface for voal transmission.

Makes sense rules and fluff wise if you think of it like that.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Scope_47)
Using common sense, you can see how this works given that the Commlink is the hub of any PAN, and it is referenced multiple times in fluff as constantly downloading software updates etc - see the arguments made about that in the thread on software piracy.

And common sense did you that it is impossible to stop it doing that? I'm impressed.
Kyoto Kid
...Scope_47, thank you.

You put into a more eloquent form (your post 7 replies back) what I have been trying to say all along.

Now all I need to do is clear up the DataJack/Transducer issue. I still seem to be seeing two different opinions about how much datajacks are really capable of in SR4 with regards to the old Transducer Cyber implant.
PlatonicPimp
The transducer was such a useful peice of equipment that these days, ALL datajacks/trodes/DNI of any sort come with it, standard. Thus is SOTA.
Kyoto Kid
...is there an actual page reference for this?
DireRadiant
p. 215
"Direct Neural Interface (DNI)—A connection between
the brain’s neural impulses and a computer
system, allowing a user to mentally interact with
and control that system."

P. 330
"In addition to wireless functionality, most cyberware devices
are equipped with a direct neural interface (DNI) that
allows the user to mentally activate and control their functions.
Th ey can also be linked to other cyberware implants."

And consider that the Voice Modulator is one such cyberware device controlled with DNI, it might not be a stretch to consider a datajack run by DNI can function as a transducer.
Buster
This is a perfect opportunity to plug my "AR, VR, & sim FAQ" which answers some questions regarding commlinks/datajacks/sim-modules/etc.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=18512

Let me know if you want me to add anything.
Ol' Scratch
DNI -- as stated in no uncertain or unclear way -- allows you to control a device. That means things like pushing the button on your walkie talkie when you need to talk, changing channels, or turn it on and off completely.

If DNI let you speak through things, there needs to be rules for disguising and recognizing that voice without needing any special software or hardware. Afterall, it's not your voice any more than Microsoft Sam is. But, alas, there isn't.
Rotbart van Dainig
There are no rules for speaking through your Persona in full VR, either.
hobgoblin
i would say that in a world where software can translate spoken words on the fly, a chip in the brain should be able to figure out how you sound when you speak out loud and pass that info on to the sound generator at the other end.

but then i would not bother about being that, imo insanely, anal about it...
Kyoto Kid
...OK, seeing as there still is not a clear cut consensus (the references cited still do not "say" DNI actually does translate thoughts into spoken words), I do not see this matter resolved (Synner? Adam?). Therefore, until "official" word is given one way or the other, the Transducer implant still exists in my campaigns. It costs 500 nuyen.gif takes .1 essence, and functions the same way it did in previous editions.

...there I thought - er - said it. nyahnyah.gif
PlatonicPimp
I'd imagine that you configure your voice. When you first install the software, it has you read off an specially designed paragraph that gets all the neccessary sounds. Maybe it also generates a profile on the fly by simply listening to you talk. If your real voice isn't something you want to keep, you could easily get one of the thousands of commercially available voice profiles, recorded by famous celebreties and professional voice actors.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...OK, seeing as there still is not a clear cut consensus

As I said - tell me then how people 'speak' in VR. They suddenly all need the nonexistant Transudcer in SR4?
How did they speak in VR before it existed in previous versions of SR?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...OK, seeing as there still is not a clear cut consensus (the references cited still do not "say" DNI actually does translate thoughts into spoken words), I do not see this matter resolved (Synner? Adam?). Therefore, until "official" word is given one way or the other, the Transducer implant still exists in my campaigns. It costs 500 nuyen.gif takes .1 essence, and functions the same way it did in previous editions.

...there I thought - er - said it. nyahnyah.gif

look at it this way, it have yet to show up in any book. and in SR3 it showed up in M&M iirc. so if it has not shown up by now, i dont think it will. and that fluff in SR4 about the datajack seems to be the replacement.

as for expecting anyone to come to a concensus on dumpshock, the day that ucas has a immortal elf as president i say nyahnyah.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
as for expecting anyone to come to a concensus on dumpshock, the day that ucas has a immortal elf as president i say nyahnyah.gif

..so you think that Aina is Colloton - and she took away both the UCAS and the DF from Daviar?
Interesting twist. Makes one really wonder what happened to Daviar's favorite Drake...
hobgoblin
oh dear god...
Kyoto Kid
...[the screeching of steel on steel as the wheels are ready to jump the track...]
otakusensei
Don't they mention being able to buy a persona of a goblin rockstar with it's full vocal range? You'd think if this is common in the 2070's they would also solve the issue of transducers by installing them in every interface. Sort of like how everything nowadays has a GUI. They didn't 20 years ago, but that was then and this is now. Again, common sense, but now with 25% more reference!
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 10 2007, 02:19 AM)

As I said - tell me then how people 'speak' in VR. They suddenly all need the nonexistant Transudcer in SR4?

...Micro Transceivers are basically nothing more than miniature two way radios. They only send/receive audio signals, not vid, not text, not graphics as a commlink does. Therefore discussion relating to VR and MTs is moot.

If a character uses an implanted commlink, no, they don't need Transducer to converse in VR (OK, I got things backwards between AR & VR in my previous comments, my bad).

If a team wishes to use their MTs instead of commlinks to stay in communication with each other while on missions, then a Transducer (or whatever form of direct thought-to-voice conversion interface exists) provides the best stealth since no subvocalising is required and no telltale earbuds need be worn.

Again I defer to Scope_47's commentary on Commlinks vs. Transceivers as it makes the most sense of all this.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 10 2007, 02:19 AM)

...Micro Transceivers are basically nothing more than miniature two way radios. They only send/receive audio signals, not vid, not text, not graphics as a commlink does. Therefore discussion relating to VR and MTs is moot.

i would not be so sure.

said transceiver has a microphone port, no?

i would expect that one could plug a cable from the datajack into said port. then it becomes a question of, does the datajack have a digital/analog converter. if it does, how hard would it be for it to generate the needed sounds?

or for that matter, more and more stuff have internal computers. hell, they can make them so small in SR that they can fit a sensor system onto a RFID. and one can see how small those get by looking at a modern day anti-theft system at most malls or similar.

so i would expect the transceiver to have a dataport somewhere. plug the jack into that and be happy.

all in all, why this insistence on a official word of any kind? its not like one is playing D&D in a competitive form now is it?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Therefore discussion relating to VR and MTs is moot.

On the contrary.
If there is no interface/software capable of turning thoughts into digital speech, you can't talk in VR.
But you can, so the question is - what interface is there?

First, DNI/datajack/trodes. Then, a sim module. Then, a comlink.
That's all you need for full VR, including talking.

So somewhere there, a 'Transducer' is integrated. The only question is where.
Kyoto Kid
...the thing is, I am not talking about commlinks. I am talking about a simple two way radio system which is a distinctly different piece of hardware from a commlink. As Scope_47 points out, an MT works in Matrix dead zones when a commlink doesn't because it is not matrix dependent.

This is why I don't see the concepts of VR & AR having any meaning with regards to an MT.

If the Transducer is part of a DNI interface, that would be good. That means one less piece of 'ware to implant.

As to wanting some kind of a definitive clarification, I don't think it is out of line considering the many times I have seen this requested regarding other issues.
otakusensei
So somewhere there, a 'Transducer' is integrated. The only question is where.

I'd guess the datajack\trodes. According to the SR4 rules both have come a long way since the 2060s. Back then you could barely get a VR connection using trodes. Things have moved forward and I believe they have just rolled the whole "Talk in your head" transducer into the trodes and datajack to simplify and clearify things. Maybe it's in the SIM module, but my guess would be you'd need it to have a direct brain connection, or as close as possible.

Back on MTs, does anyone remember trying to get a decent Matrix connection using a cell link in VR 2.0? I imagine that a MT is basically the equivalent of an old commlink or radio and thus not able to support the kind of bandwidth a VR connection requires. Modern commlinks are some kind of "Cell phone on steroids" and thus we no longer have to worry about bandwidth.
Can commlinks pick up signals from an MT? It's between your GM and the FCC. From a game perspective though I can see a limited and direct use for MTs. Anything outside of playing last century's super spy should be done by commlink.
Ophis
Commlinks work fine in deadzones... There is just not much else to talk to. Technos have a problem but that's because the normal reassuring chatter is gone.

Static zones cause comms problems, but I see no reason why an area that is bad for pick up/transmission of wireless would not be affecting radio waves. What to modern mobile phones use for transmission? Radio I presume, that will be what commlinks are using (if not please explain) ergo static zones affect both comms and trancievers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012