Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microtrancievers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...the thing is, I am not talking about commlinks.

Neither am I. Im talking about the necessity of the interface having such ability.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
As Scope_47 points out, an MT works in Matrix dead zones when a commlink doesn't  because it is not matrix dependent.

Which is plain wrong.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
This is why I don't see the concepts of VR & AR having any meaning with regards to an MT.

You are missing the point, then.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
If the Transducer is part of a DNI interface, that would be good.  That means one less piece of 'ware to implant.

Indeed.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
As to wanting some kind of a definitive clarification, I don't think it is out of line considering the many times I have seen this requested regarding other issues.

If DNI got no 'Transducer' capability, you couldn't 'talk' in VR.
As you obviously can, it has.
otakusensei
Rotbart, please explain how an MT has any bearing on AR and VR outside of all three being a possible and exclusive type of communication?

Also, MTs can work in Matrix dead zones, but you need two to talk ot each other. They are Matrix independent. Think about it, it makes sense. They are a glorified walkie talkie.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (otakusensei)
Rotbart, please explain how an MT has any bearing on AR and VR outside of all three being a possible and exclusive type of communication?

It's the other way round... if the DNI isn't able to translate thoughts into digital vioce, you couldn't talk in VR.

QUOTE (otakusensei)
Also, MTs can work in Matrix dead zones, but you need two to talk ot each other.

Indeed. But the whole stuff about comlinks not working is just wrong.
otakusensei
I think there's a misunderstanding (Shocking, I know).

The commlink works, but can't connect to anything if there is nothing there to connect to or if it's being jammed, natch. Dead zone, no friends, you're stuck playing solitaire till the plane arrives. Read Snow Crash if you want a better description.

You can talk in VR. You need a Datajack/trodenet, commlink and SIM to use VR so the transducer is in there somewhere. An MT doesn't allow VR, it is an old style analog radio. No transducer needed to talk, it gets vocal communication from your vocal cords, not directly from your brain. QED, MTs have nothing to do with AR or VR.
Tarantula
MTs work just fine in dead zones, the exact same way commlinks do. You can talk on your MT, broadcasting, and hope someone else is in range and hears you. You can send requests to connect from your commlink and hope someone is in range and accepts. If theres someone in range of your MT, they can hear you, and you can hear them when they talk back (provided you're in range of them). If theres someone in range of your commlink, they can connect to you (provided you're in their signal range as well) and you two can communicate just fine also.

Just a note, I'd argue MTs are just as succeptible to jamming as a commlink is.
otakusensei
Just a note, I'd argue MTs are just as succeptible to jamming as a commlink is.

Seconded
Kyoto Kid
...I never disagreed about this. That was why in older editions they had a base ECM rating of 1 which could be improved by spending more nuyen.gif.
PlatonicPimp
Thirded.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Ophis)
Commlinks work fine in deadzones... There is just not much else to talk to. Technos have a problem but that's because the normal reassuring chatter is gone.

Technos without a satellite uplink, that is. ;-)
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
It's the other way round... if the DNI isn't able to translate thoughts into digital voice, you couldn't talk in VR.

..OK I get it now, sometimes a big enough hammer finally gets the point across *ouch*

...sorry, I'm from the days when you had this black plastic thing that sat on an end table in your living room with a wire running into the wall, a handset you could both speak into and listen from, and a rotary encoding device that you used to input a series of numbers for contacting a similar one of these devices somewhere else to talk to a person. Occasionally a bell would ring in it signaling that someone wanted to talk to you.

No camera, no internet downloads, no games, no stock market quotes, no funky sound effects. Just a simple instrument for talking to another person across town with.

(they need an :old geezer/grandama: emoticon)
DTFarstar
So, KK, you are from the late 1800's? I would imagine the invention of the automotivacar and the magic box with all the wolrds knowledge inside(aka computer) were both very frightening.

Chris
Ol' Scratch
For DNI to translate thoughts into voice would require a specialized piece of software on the caliber of a limited Persona program, one custom tailored to a single voice. I don't see any rules for anything like that, especially rules that let you customize a "single sense-only" Persona program.

Your brain doesn't transmit your voice telepathically to people, nor does it control how that voice sounds. Your throat and mouth do. You need a device or program that does the same thing. Pretty "duh" statement, but the heart of this part of the discussion.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
For DNI to translate thoughts into voice would require a specialized piece of software on the caliber of a limited Persona program, one custom tailored to a single voice.

More like the equivalent of a Linguasoft...
Adarael
On the subject of DNI transducers, I believe the datajack does that job by itself. The evidence is that the text for the good ol' DJ is that if someone strings a cable between two 'jacked people, they can have a totally secure conversation. As Funk pointed out, he figures it'd be better/more sensible for them to be sending text messages.

The problem with that is that text messages would require an image link or image-link capable device. These aren't mentioned in the text, so we have to assume that a datajack is ALL that's required for that. What's more, any device connected to the datajack for such text messaging is by default going to be connected wirelessly, rather than otherwise. As such, that conversation cannot be, as the text says, secure from any eavesdropping attempt.

Ergo, the datajack must have a thought-to-something ('something' being defined as whatever travels across the cable) capablity internal to itself. Otherwise the entire statement in the BBB is nonsensical or in error.

Note: trodes do not, and never have had, this ability.
Ol' Scratch
More like the equivalent of a Linguasoft...

Bzzt. Sorry, wrong again.

Linguasofts effectively teach you a new language while active. They, too, don't telepathically communicate with other minds in the vacinity nor do they replace your throat and mouth. You still have to talk to use one.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Adarael)
On the subject of DNI transducers, I believe the datajack does that job by itself. The evidence is that the text for the good ol' DJ is that if someone strings a cable between two 'jacked people, they can have a totally secure conversation. As Funk pointed out, he figures it'd be better/more sensible for them to be sending text messages.

The problem with that is that text messages would require an image link or image-link capable device. These aren't mentioned in the text, so we have to assume that a datajack is ALL that's required for that. What's more, any device connected to the datajack for such text messaging is by default going to be connected wirelessly, rather than otherwise. As such, that conversation cannot be, as the text says, secure from any eavesdropping attempt.

Ergo, the datajack must have a thought-to-something ('something' being defined as whatever travels across the cable) capablity internal to itself. Otherwise the entire statement in the BBB is nonsensical or in error.

Note: trodes do not, and never have had, this ability.

If true, which is just an assumption (and a fair one to make), it would only apply to the datajack itself not DNI in general. Trodes are just another form of DNI, so if you assume it doesn't apply to them, it doesn't apply to DNI.
Rotbart van Dainig
Linguasofts effectively teach you a new language while active. They, too, don't telepathically communicate with other minds in the vacinity nor do they replace your throat and mouth. You still have to talk to use one.

Wrong. You may want to read the Linguasoft description in SR4:
They are doubling as on-the-fly translation programs, too.
Adarael
If true, which is just an assumption (and a fair one to make), it would only apply to the datajack itself not DNI in general. Trodes are just another form of DNI, so if you assume it doesn't apply to them, it doesn't apply to DNI.

Absolutely. I wouldn't argue that DNI in general had the abilities of a datajack, purely because I like 'jacks to have SOME measure of advantage over trodes. I was speaking strictly of datajacks and datajacks alone.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Wrong. You may want to read the Linguasoft description in SR4:
They are doubling as on-the-fly translation programs, too.

Yes, your point? It translates for you as part of teaching you how to speak a language. If someone decrees "¡Que tengas suerte!" to you in a booming voice or sends you a text message with it, tada, you know what it says. How does that equate to magical telepathic communication to you?
Rotbart van Dainig
It translates for you as part of teaching you how to speak a language.

Linguasoft don't teach you a language - they make you know it.

How does that equate to magical telepathic communication to you?

The translation program function of it, however, is able to translate a language into another (with no limitations, thus, no only text, but audio, too), thus, say creating an artificial voice after analyzing a certain input text or audio. If you now analyze thought patterns instead of speech patterns, it can translate thoughts into speech and vice versa.
And as a Linguasoft makes you understand a language, it includes said thought patterns.

Which in turn allows it to turn thoughts into audio and back.
Point, but no magic, though.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (DTFarstar)
So, KK, you are from the late 1800's? I would imagine the invention of the automotivacar and the magic box with all the wolrds knowledge inside(aka computer) were both very frightening.

Chris

...not quite that far back, but yes there are times these two contraptions do make me scratch my head in wonder.

The Automobile is a source of particular trepidation especially when the person at the controls of one of these infernal machines has either partook in too much refreshment at the saloon or prattling away on one of those newfangled miniature telephony devices rather than paying attention to what's on the street front of them. At least a horse has sense to know where to go when it's rider is otherwise occupied or had too much likker .

One thing I learned about thinking machines though, they are actually rather dumb. You have to tell them to do everything, sometimes several times over or they just sit there looking back at you. Not much different from a dull witted ranch hand or a stubborn mule. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
Hell, voice is related to properties of your body. How hard can it be for either the doc to scan these and feed it to the jack at time of implant and have it calculate the correct sounding voice, or have the jack read said info of your neural system as you do some talking as part of the day to day activity. In other words, where is the importance of knowing the smallest details of a imagined piece of tech? This is starting to sound like star trek...
Adarael
Because it's dumpshock, and we bore easily, I would wager.
Macavity
I'm going to refer all of you to Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and to Juanita's prescient quote: "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." There will be a market for converting not just your voice, but your facial mannerisms to your VR icon. Otherwise the matrix is meaningless for business meets.
Ol' Scratch
That, again, would be related to a Persona program. A program with its own unique voice, look, and everything else. Even if you buy your Persona so that it mimics your natural voice, it's still a completely separate and individual program.
Rotbart van Dainig
The Persona is the synthesis of many programs... what you mean is the Icon - and many devices come with default Icons.
otakusensei
Your persona Icon can talk in VR. You can go VR with trodes. Wizkids and Catalyst made a new game system that is simpler and more intuitive than the last one. As such they rolled a bunch of stuff into more simplified 'ware so we don't have to buy router ports anymore.

For that, thank you.

MTs are radios, headsets with analog (or digital voice only) radios.

Any other questions? I have plenty of free time to kill too, but this thread is getting out of hand. If we're going to bitch about transducers we should at least start a new tread.
hobgoblin
well i just want to say that when kyoto kid brought up the transducer i guessed that (iirc) she wanted it to hook it into the microtranceiver so that one could talk without making any sound at all. a throat mike still needs to pick up sound to be effective...
Tarantula
Then turn wireless on on your microtranceiver (or jack in in directly) to your datajack/trodenet/commlink and relay the information mentally to it that way.
hobgoblin
have i argued anything else?
otakusensei
Sounds reasonable, there's nothing stopping someone from pluggin the MT into their commlink or directly into their datajack/trodenet to talk without making a sound. It's a clever idea and doesn't draw the attention that an implanted mic does.

In fact my hacker might have to keep an MT on hand and plugged into his commlink just to facilitate such communication. If the team starts communicating over MT it's less of a hacking risk, but no more cool BattleTac type features.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012