Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redlining cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ol' Scratch
Facts.

1) Activators only require a wireless-capable device to infect.
2) "Wireless-capable" does not translate to "active wireless connectivity."
3) Activators make zero, zip, zilch, nada reference to switching wireless communications on.
4) Deactivators, a completely different nanite, DO specifically mention turning wireless off meaning the rules DO mention changing the state when it's a function of nanites.
5) Again, Activators make no such mention.

Fini.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Facts.

3) Activators make zero, zip, zilch, nada reference to switching wireless communications on.
4) Deactivators, a completely different nanite, DO specifically mention turning wireless off meaning the rules DO mention changing the state when it's a function of nanites.

Fini.

Fact 2A: Activators do not say that they require an active wireless connectivity.
Fact 3A: Activators don't say how they go about subscribing you to extra nodes, and could very plausibly turn your connection on to do it.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
<simply uses his laser pointer to highlight #4 and #5 on the chart again>
Cain
@Cain: That's interesting. I too would like a reference to it in Arsenal as it obviously didn't register. I still agree that a physical switch would stop it, I just hadn't considered that it would be in any way something you would come across. Good justification, though. I'd like to see what it says in Augmentation, though. I read through the section on pg. 28 again and didn't see anything like this referred to.

It's on p32, under Cyberware triggers. Despite what Tarantula says, it hits specific cyber devices, and not the entire cyberarm. You can specifically shut off things like flex hands, cyber weapons, gyromounts, and anything else that you might find inconvenient. The wireless card isn't much of a stretch.

Frank: For a nanite that's supposed to be nothing more than an annoyance, you're sure giving them a lot of power. They suddenly can bridge physical gaps, fix broken cyberware, and all other sorts of absurdities. If they're "just an annoyance", as per RAW, then they should be able to be defeated/destroyed just as easily, if in an equally annoying fashion. Physically shutting down your wireless would be an effective, but annoying, defense against an annoyance.
Adarael
Okay, Narcoject and Seven-7. Narcoject has to be applied via a dart, in an obvious fashion, to affect a target. Nanotech does not. Nanotech can be applied by any vector, and is therefore much more stealthy. As to Seven-7, are you seriously suggesting it's easier to get ahold of a 20F availability neurotoxin than it is an 8R nanotech item? Nanopaste disguise is 12/16. A smartlink is 8R. I fail to see how an item costing more than 'another way to kill a guy' means that it's fair and balanced. By that rationale, most toxins should be way lower availability and cheaper than they are.

As to DNI, sure, DNI still works. But unless you're spending actions to actively monitor your cyberware, you won't know they've been subscribed to any new nodes.

And Frank, let me ask you a serious question. Why is it your habit to attack other viewpoints so violently if they don't agree with you? I wasn't saying that activators did or did not work that way. I was just saying that I, personally, would be more choosy with how they work. You don't need to get so worked up about another opinion. I'm not coming to your games and telling you how to run them. So don't insult me with the chicken little analogy, and I won't sling any insults your way, either. Okay?
darthmord
Honestly, what I would do is allow for a mod (for a cost of 1 capacity & nuyen) to cyberware that would allow one to remove a dongle from the external ports to disable wireless. This dongle would in fact be a wireless "card" for the cyberware in question.

With it in place, wireless is active and can be turned soft-off / soft-on as commanded.

Without it in place, no amount of TURN_WIRELESS_ON / OFF will affect it as there is no wireless capability.

Seriously, both interpretations are right. It really depends on the GM to rule on it.
Sterling
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 21 2007, 08:20 AM)
I will agree that a PHYSICAL switch would block them from working, however, a PHYSICAL switch is not an option by RAW.

QUOTE (SR3 p. 304 @ "Turning It Off")
Any device’s wireless capability can be turned off with a simple command. Of course, that means it needs to be turned back on manually, unless you set it to reactivate at a specified time.

Hmm. I can turn off my computer by telling Windows to shut it down (a software command). Yet can't turn it back on without manually pushing the button on the case.

But that can't be. And when it's turned off (or even just the modem is turned off), my internet-capable computer is no longer internet capable, huh? And just because I have it turned off, that instantly destroys any viruses I may have that infected my internet-capable device. (Which, by the way, is all the text for Activators says; is that it infects wireless-capable devices, not that it can do jack shit if wireless connectivity is turned off. But never mind that.)

FYI, my computer has an on/off switch. I can power it down via software, and the hardware switch can turn it back on.. and so can 'wake to LAN' if the option is enabled.

A modern cell phone without a carrier (one is sitting on my desk at the moment) is wireless capable, but not wireless active. However, I can dial 911 with it and it will go through. And, most modern televisions and radios can turn themselves on if they are told to by the Emergency Broadcast System. Sure, if the television isn't hooked up to cable then it won't turn on, but the radio wasn't referred to as a 'wireless' for nothing, right?

This quote above, the one that states "Any device’s wireless capability can be turned off with a simple command. Of course, that means it needs to be turned back on manually, unless you set it to reactivate at a specified time"? That ruins the argument it cannot be turned on by software. The Nanites go 'hey, it's the time to turn on that you specified!' and voila, you're back online.

Having pointed that out, even though I do not agree with the good Doctor's methods, I do in fact agree with his position. I do so for a simple reason; the logistic NIGHTMARE these Activator nanites cause a security spider.

We'll use two examples of rooms filled with these nanites. The first is the foyer example, where (technically) both sides have merit. Upon entering, any wireless device that is active subscribes to the office network, and the Spiders can ensure no hidden wireless camera is being used by a cybersnoop for an undercover expose, etc. There is also decent cause for ANY wireless capable device to jump on the network as well, to let the Spider know the man who walked in the door is sporting two cyberlimbs, a smartlink, a concealed SMG, and move-by-wire 3. That's a good thing to know!

The second example is a secured hallway leading to a R&D lab. Here you just want to ensure no commlinks enter this hallway in hidden mode. The last thing you want is every piece of cyberware that enters causing your security board to light up like a Christmas tree. And there's some cyberware you don't want online (Wageslave Bob's cyberpenis reports... it is suffering from an unidentified source of irritation! It could be caused by chafing, or it could be awakened adept ghoul crabs! Ewww, TMFI either way!).

The solution is to create a second version of the activator nanites, make them ten times more expensive, and allow them to activate the wirelessly enabled devices that aren't currently active. The normal listed version just targets active wireless devices and subscribes them/locks them open.

In addition to being a great way to force a hidden PAN to subscribe or go active, the concept of nanites that cause wireless devices to either subscribe or go active is the simple idea that the devices go active, the local network acknowledges them, downloads a worm/trace/whatever program, and then tells them to unsubscribe the node/go back to sleep. So if Security drops the ball and fails to stop the intruders, you'll have a much easier chance hunting them down. Obviously the concept of causing all of a runner's cyberware to go active, get infected, and then go back to sleep is just overwhelmingly difficult to counter.
PlatonicPimp
Or I can make a cheaper version of the nanites that Doesn't, if I accept that they can do it by default, and I think of a reason I don' want them to.
FrankTrollman
Yeah, Activators are really expensive for something that turns a device on with a contact delivery system.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
Gamma-Anthrax sure is expensive and hard to get for something that can be defeated by a simple inoculation (hey, I finally spelled it right).
Pistol ammunition sure is expensive for something that can be defeated by sitting in a car.
Drain sure had a lot of paragraphs written about it for something that can be defeated by not casting a spell at a very high Force.

Great argument.
Adarael
Activators also aren't contact. They're contact, ingestion, or inhalation.
FrankTrollman
Dude, the argument is that if you had a spell that made "someone with a gun" "shoot their allies" - you would be entitled to believe that such a spell might cause someone to draw their weapon, or turn off the safety. These are intermediary steps which have to happen but you just sort of expect that they are taken care of at some point.

Similarly, Activators cause a "wireless capable device" to "be subscribed to a node". Now, at some point it would have to turn its wireless on, and of course locate the node to be subscribed before that could possibly happen. But one just sort of assumes that these details are taken care of at some point. The game doesn't hold your hand and walk you through every single step. Activators at no time say that they actually scan for the nodes that they are subscribing. So one could logically assume that they don't function unless the target device has already found the target node - or you could assume that these details are taken care of by the fact that the rules give you a start point (infected wireless capable device), and an end-point (subscribed against your will to 4chan /b/) that necessary intermediate steps would be taken care of by the unspecified super machines that are already in your base killing your mans.

That's the argument. The whole "ZOMG THESE WILL WRECK THE CAMPAIGN WORLD THEY ARE SO CHEAPS!!!" thing is coming from the naysayers. And well, 500-3000 yen for a one-use contact delivery on-switch is hardly cheap.

So please, Dr., stop being such a cock about this. I see where your reading is coming from, but that really is counter to the manner in which 4th edition source books handle rules. Devices are listed by their net effects, not step by step.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 22 2007, 07:12 PM)
Dude, the argument is that if you had a spell that made "someone with a gun" "shoot their allies" - you would be entitled to believe that such a spell might cause someone to draw their weapon, or turn off the safety. These are intermediary steps which have to happen but you just sort of expect that they are taken care of at some point.

Sure, you're entitled to believe whatever nonsense you want to believe. If you want to believe that shooting a gun causes a pink elephant to manifest in Morocco, you're more than welcome to believe that. Doesn't actually mean a pink elephant manifests in Morocco, but you sure as fuck are entitled to believe it all you like.

Feel free to point out a spell that works similarly to what you described. The closest one I know of is Control Actions. And with it, you certainly can make "someone with a gun" "shoot their allies." But guess what! Means diddly squat if the gun isn't loaded, huh? Such a simple defense, wouldn't you say? I certainly would.

Similarly, Activators cause a "wireless capable device" to "be subscribed to a node".

No. Once again, Activators infect a wireless capable device. That has fuck all to do with anything. Much like your example, where your spell only works on someone with a gun. And, much like in your example, those little Activators can't complete their task if wireless connectivity is disabled, just like your spell can't shoot someone's allies cause the gun didn't have any ammo.

Now, at some point it would have to turn its wireless on, and of course locate the node to be subscribed before that could possibly happen.

A-yup. Which is precisely why it doesn't happen. Just like your make-believe spell doesn't shoot the target's enemies. Though not for a lack of trying.

But one just sort of assumes that these details are taken care of at some point.

And they are... if the user was stupid enough to keep his wireless connectivity on. Which, also again, is the default setting in the game. For all gear. Players have to specifically mention that they're taking this precaution, and Activators are a damn good reason to take that precaution.

The game doesn't hold your hand and walk you through every single step.

Never claimed it did. Gonna skip a head a bit as I hate multiple quoting. frown.gif Sorry.

That's the argument. The whole "ZOMG THESE WILL WRECK THE CAMPAIGN WORLD THEY ARE SO CHEAPS!!!" thing is coming from the naysayers. And well, 500-3000 yen for a one-use contact delivery on-switch is hardly cheap.

Actually that was never once in any of my arguments. As far as I can remember, you're the only one who initially brought price up and for much the same reason -- to try and create a red herring from a real argument.

So please, Dr., stop being such a cock about this. I see where your reading is coming from, but that really is counter to the manner in which 4th edition source books handle rules. Devices are listed by their net effects, not step by step.

Important steps are most certainly noted in the rules. Take Deactivators -- the very thing you pointed out -- as a shining example. They specifically, unequivocally, and without any doubt whatsoever say that those nanites are capable of affecting the state of wireless connectivity. But.. alas... I guess they instantly fall dead the moment they do because it no longer becomes a wireless capable device? That's a conundrum, huh.

I'm sorry that your opinion is backed up by neither Jack nor Shit, but them's the breaks.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cain)
@Cain: That's interesting. I too would like a reference to it in Arsenal as it obviously didn't register. I still agree that a physical switch would stop it, I just hadn't considered that it would be in any way something you would come across. Good justification, though. I'd like to see what it says in Augmentation, though. I read through the section on pg. 28 again and didn't see anything like this referred to.

It's on p32, under Cyberware triggers. Despite what Tarantula says, it hits specific cyber devices, and not the entire cyberarm. You can specifically shut off things like flex hands, cyber weapons, gyromounts, and anything else that you might find inconvenient. The wireless card isn't much of a stretch.

A cyberarm is an individual piece of cyberware that you can turn on and off via a physical switch. Flex hands are individual cyber too (but aren't a good example, because they don't work with cyberarms).

Cyberweapons are individual pieces of cyber you can turn on and off via a physical switch.

Thusly, you could have a cyberarm with a cyberweapon, turn the arm (and all cyber installed in the arm) on and off via one switch, or just the weapon via a different switch.

The wireless access isn't a seperate piece of cyber. Theres one in each of your cyber, one in your arm, your cybergun, etc. The switches are for an item of cyberware, not for a specific piece of it. Another example, the switch can turn your arm on and off, but wouldn't be able to turn off just your pinky finger.
Tarantula

Important steps are most certainly noted in the rules. Take Deactivators -- the very thing you pointed out -- as a shining example. They specifically, unequivocally, and without any doubt whatsoever say that those nanites are capable of affecting the state of wireless connectivity. But.. alas... I guess they instantly fall dead the moment they do because it no longer becomes a wireless capable device? That's a conundrum, huh.

Actually, if you want to go that route, deactivators can't infect anything at all. It just says they "Similar to activators, deactivators either unsubscribe the use's node access or close all of the device's wireless connections." It doesn't say they ever infect anything, or anything else at all! So what do they do?!
Ol' Scratch
The main description for Intruder Nanites cover it; they infect the first piece of cyberware they find. Deactivators do, indeed, hit the very first one they find (whether or not they're wireless-capable) and attempt to perform their function. And guess what! Even if they're not wireless-active, Deactiavtors still try to turn it off because that's what they do -- try to fulfill their function. Doesn't matter if they can't. Activators, on the other hand, are a bit more discrimenating (being completely different nanites afterall), infecting only those that actually are wireless-capable (despite whether or not they're wireless-active).

And in case you missed it, I was mocking your opinion that "wireless-capable" is exactly the same as "wireless active." Though it went over your head a bit apparently.
Tarantula
Facts.

1) Good so far.
2) Agreed.
3) Correct.

Now, 4) activators make no mention of needing the wireless to be active on a device. Therefore, they can subscribe wireless capable devices while their wireless is turned off. Wow, thats pretty cool.
Ol' Scratch
Your argument is new and original. Especially since you had to backtrack 20-some-odd posts to find something to quote.

And for the record, using Frank's make-believe spell, a gun doesn't need ammo to shoot someone either. Wow, that's pretty cool. (Hey, I can do it, too!)
fistandantilus4.0
Doc, Frank, stop the name calling and snide remarks please.
odinson
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 22 2007, 08:31 PM)

Feel free to point out a spell that works similarly to what you described.  The closest one I know of is Control Actions.  And with it, you certainly can make "someone with a gun" "shoot their allies."  But guess what!  Means diddly squat if the gun isn't loaded, huh?  Such a simple defense, wouldn't you say?  I certainly would.

How about Control Thoughts? If you told someone to shoot their friend they would slide a clip in the unloaded gun, point and shoot.
Tarantula
Your argument is new and original. Especially since you had to backtrack 20-some-odd posts to find something to quote.

And for the record, using Frank's make-believe spell, a gun doesn't need ammo to shoot someone either. Wow, that's pretty cool. (Hey, I can do it, too!)

16 posts. Its not new and original, I figured that the wireless turning on in order to subscribe was included in the subscription of said device. Since you insist it isn't, then we'll take it out. You are taking it extremely literally, which means, wireless stays off, but its subscribed/open to access and thusly accessable with the wireless off. I think I'm gonna use activators on my own equipment, with their wireless off, and have them subscribe to my commlink (which is also wireless off but has activators in it subscribing it to my gear). I can't ever be detected wirelessly (since its all off) but it all works just fine.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 22 2007, 08:55 PM)
16 posts.  Its not new and original, I figured that the wireless turning on in order to subscribe was included in the subscription of said device.  Since you insist it isn't, then we'll take it out.  You are taking it extremely literally, which means, wireless stays off, but its subscribed/open to access and thusly accessable with the wireless off.  I think I'm gonna use activators on my own equipment, with their wireless off, and have them subscribe to my commlink (which is also wireless off but has activators in it subscribing it to my gear).  I can't ever be detected wirelessly (since its all off) but it all works just fine.

Yeah, because that's what the argument is. That you don't need to be wirelessly active to subscribe to a list, and you can shoot someone with a gun without any ammo. Excellent analysis.
Tarantula
No Funk. No ammunition is analogous to no wireless capability at all. Under no circumstances can a gun without ammo fire, equally, under no circumstances can a device without wireless capability connect wirelessly.

The safety being on is analogous to the wireless connection being off. They can shoot still, but only if the safety is turned off.

The problem with this analogy, is safetys have no game text whatsoever.

Wireless connections, do however.
Ol' Scratch
Simple Action to load a clip. Simple Action to turn-on wireless connectivity. And what's the penalty on using Armorer on a Firearm without a clip again?

Tarantula
Again, loading the firearm is similar to installing wireless capability.

Turning the safety off is similar to activating the wireless.

Just because its easier to reload a firearm than it is to install wireless capability doesn't mean they aren't analogous.
Cain

The wireless access isn't a seperate piece of cyber. Theres one in each of your cyber, one in your arm, your cybergun, etc. The switches are for an item of cyberware, not for a specific piece of it. Another example, the switch can turn your arm on and off, but wouldn't be able to turn off just your pinky finger.

Why not? Especially if you have a modular cyberhand, why can't you have switches that shut off just part of a device? You know, toggles that "manually switch on" your wireless... something *EVERY* piece of wireless-enabled equipment has?

Since "manually" means to do things by hand, you *should* have a switch for it. So, you power it up by pressing a button: there, you did it manually. Physical toggles, as opposed to electronic switches, may be rare... but by RAW, they're equally cheap and availiable.
Tarantula
Again, can I get a quote for where physical switches for parts of devices are explained?
Ol' Scratch
It's right at the beginning of the gear chapter, just before the weapon specifications begin. "Turning It Off." Specifically mentions having to either turn it on manually or via some preset condition you give it.
Tarantula
Thats for wireless access only. Not for any subpart of a device as Cain is saying.

Turning wireless off is a command, not an action. Meaning its a software off. It can require manual turning on (since its wireless is off, it can't receive a wireless on command), but a DNI "wireless on" command would work just as well. Or a wired command to turn wireless on.

Either way, its argueable that the nanites could feed the processor commands the same as if a preset condition was met, causing the wireless to turn on... or you can go with the interpretation that activators let it be accessed wirelessly without its wireless on. Up to you.
Sterling
You could even argue the nanites themselves, in a large enough concentration could act as the wireless bridge.

I was just pointing out the ability to turn on all your wireless 'ware is a headace for the Spider who has to suddenly cope with all the new signals that pop up on his grid. But I do agree that the description does lean towards the activators being able to turn on wireless devices that are on standby.

The major point is that even if you (as a GM) rule that they don't enable inactive wireless devices, your PAN went from 'hidden' mode to 'look, I'm right here, could I download any files you have and add me to your spam mailing list please?' mode.

I think maybe the answer to my question (too much info versus the rules as written) is the mode the nanites are in. In the foyer, the nanites would be set to subscribe devices to the node, alerting security to any wireless-capable gear and 'ware that walked in the door. In the secure corridor, the nanites would be set to activae the wireless functions from running silent to being permanently accessible, which means if unauthorized personell are wandering around, then the spider wants the commlinks, etc to pop up.
Marwynn
Question: Why not "skinlink" the cyberlimbs?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Thats for wireless access only. Not for any subpart of a device as Cain is saying.

Manual is manual. Manual just in case you're having trouble.

Turning wireless off is a command, not an action.  Meaning its a software off.

Which has been pointed out multiple times. Guess what. I can turn my computer off with a software switch in Windows. It's really easy. I'm sure you've done it once or twice, too. Really neat trick, huh.

But I'll be damned if I've ever had a virus turn my computer on after I turned it off. Nope. Requires me to manually turn it back on! Unless, of course, I choose to turn it off in a different fashion (such as merely going on Standby), which the rules also encounter. Unfortunately for you, there's no distinguishing between the two. Hardware and software. Manual and electronic. It's all "turning it off" and turning it right back on.

It can require manual turning on (since its wireless is off, it can't receive a wireless on command), but a DNI "wireless on" command would work just as well.  Or a wired command to turn wireless on.

A DNI "wireless on" is exactly the opposite of manually turning it on. By definition.

Either way, its argueable that the nanites could feed the processor commands the same as if a preset condition was met, causing the wireless to turn on...  or you can go with the interpretation that activators let it be accessed wirelessly without its wireless on.  Up to you.

I wouldn't mind it at all if Activators said they did that. But they don't. No matter how hard you try to claim they do by ignoring RAW when it suits you or quoting it when it does.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Marwynn)
Question: Why not "skinlink" the cyberlimbs?

I usually do, and keep wireless turned off. As a precaution against precisely this sort of thing. But these guys are saying none of those precautions matter. That Activators are super hackers that can do whatever they wish to make something work, no matter what. We even have someone now saying they can build hardware bridges.
Tarantula
Funk, ok, then by your definition, a sammy can't tell his arm to wireless off, then DNI tell it to wireless on? While wireless off he can control it completely perfectly through DNI to do what he wants, but can't tell it to turn its wireless back on without hitting a button? Ok, RAW supports it, its stupid, but thats RAW.

Please, give me a quote FROM THE BOOK where I am IGNORING the RAW. Precisely where I am ignoring it. Now, while you're doing this, remember I conceeded that a DNI on is not a valid command coming from RAW.

RAW says that activators infect A wireless capable device. You'd need many doses to get all of a runner's ware. Some of the view that they are horrible overpowered come from the misconception that they hit everything at once. They don't. They hit what they encounter first (that is wireless capable), and thats IT.

Moving on, they infect said device if it is wireless capable, and assuming they succeed their test to work (opposed test rating vs device/system), they cause their effect.

I can shoot you, assuming I succeed in my pistols vs your reaction check. If I do, then I cause damage. It doesn't say cause damage only if the target doesn't blink. Or damage only if the target isn't armored. The damage effect happens, following the rules for damage (armor, physical to stun, staging, etc).

There is no rules to modify the effect activators have. Thusly, if they succeed in their infection test (the opposed rating vs device/system) their effect occurs.

The device is subscribed/opened to access to a node/nodes whether its wireless was on or off. Its GM call to whether this causes the wireless to turn on in the process, common sense would dictate so, however the rules don't require the wireless to turn on in order for the activators to cause their effect.
knasser
And in case you missed it, I was mocking your opinion that "wireless-capable" is exactly the same as "wireless active." Though it went over your head a bit apparently.

Mocking opinions? Once again I refer you to your own words:

The only shock I ever get on these forums are the people who think they're the only ones with an opinion and everyone else is dictating universal laws to them instead of also sharing their opinion.

You've told people they're hypocrites, spouting nonsense, sworn at us... I'm not particularly offended, I just think that if I plotted a graph of all the more personal attacks, resorts to heavy sarcasm and pointed, patronising comments, your name would be way up at the top of the list. It doesn't say anything about your argument, but it says a lot about yourself.

You can disagree with the position that several of us are taking, without getting unpleasant (look to Cain for an example), but only an idiot would say that the case Tarantula, Frank and myself are making is without merit or a stupid argument.

You should look at some of the arguments you're now using to justify your case - 'a Control Minds victim will fail to shoot someone as instructed if the safety is on, because the controller didn't specify that they take the safety off, or that they should actually draw the gun first... or by the same principle, bother to aim.'

Whether you are right or wrong in your argument (and it may be that there is no right or wrong, here), you are doing nothing to persuade anyone to your case when you are clearly arguing to win, rather than to arrive at a conclusion.

Regards,

Khadim.
Cain
RAW says that activators infect A wireless capable device. You'd need many doses to get all of a runner's ware. Some of the view that they are horrible overpowered come from the misconception that they hit everything at once. They don't. They hit what they encounter first (that is wireless capable), and thats IT.

By that definition, all they'll infect is your underpants. Remember, *everything* is wireless-capable unless otherwise specified. Your clothes could be (and, by RAW, are) wireless-ready and active. Since the first thing the nanties will hit is your clothing, all they'll do is spam your underoos.
Seven-7
Well I'm glad Trant and Funk agree and have come to a peaceful solution!...Now where are the rest of my meds?

Anyhow, jokes aside, most GM's I've discussed this with will agree with Trollman and Trant on the issue of Activators for these reasons:

1.) While they are powerful for players to bring about (Info gathering, Redlining, ect.) they can expect The Bad Guys ™ to throw out equal opposition, or hell just firewall the shit out of their devices.

(For Players) 2.) While a Nanite may attach and activate a wireless capable (Definition: having capacity or ability) even the Nanites would run off the Grade for Device Rating in concerns to Signal. 1. It will fail to subscribe you to the device because your not in range.

(For GM's) 3.) Its another way to fuck with your players already growing paranoia (That is, if you're GMing correctly!).

As I see it, in essence, these fuckers are for teams without exceptional hackers, allowing unauthorized access to a device without having to Hack-On-The-Fly or Probe. Otherwise your Hacker would do it via a micro drone, hopping from drone to the cyberleg it dropped on (For Players) to access the signal, (For Spiders) or just shoot the bastards for trespassing.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Seven-7)
As I see it, in essence, these fuckers are for teams without exceptional hackers, allowing unauthorized access to a device without having to Hack-On-The-Fly or Probe. Otherwise your Hacker would do it via a micro drone, hopping from drone to the cyberleg it dropped on (For Players) to access the signal, (For Spiders) or just shoot the bastards for trespassing.

Hey thats a really good idea that had not occurred to me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012