Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Redlining cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ol' Scratch
Still waiting.
Cain
Look, if a cyber device has it's wireless functionality removed at the source (carrying all the penalites in Augmentation) it's pretty clear that activators can't trun it on. It's also pretty clear that activators can't turn on deactivated devices. All it does is infect an active wireless device, and open it up. It says nothing bout it turning on inactive cyber.

Here's an example. You have a implanted commlink, shut off manually and/or partially unseated. Can activators bridge the gap (the jo of another set of nanites) and turn on the commlink?
Tarantula
Activators also don't say that they can't turn on inactive wireless capable devices.

They say it needs wireless capability. If its capable, and they infect it, it turns on. It doesn't say unless the device has its wireless turned off. It doesn't say only active wireless devices. It says "wireless-capable devices"
Fortune
<Thump!>
Tarantula
I will agree the rules are ambigious. Thusly, either interpretation is correct. So check with your GM before you decide to go on an activator caused hacking rampage.
PlatonicPimp
Well, the interpretation that lets them turn the wireless on if it is off gives players a reason to remove wireless altogether. It makes a certain nanotech scarier. It's more science-fantasy-ish, increases paranioa, and is all aroung more cool. I'll go with that interpretation.
darthmord
QUOTE (Tarantula)
The text for activators doesn't say that they can't do it if the wireless is off. It just says the device needs wireless capability, (check), and that they infect it, (check). If those two conditions are met, then they can cause their intended effect.

I would have to say that for wireless capability to exist, the wireless functionality would need to be enabled. No amount of hacking into my computer / electronic device via wireless will work if the wireless is turned off. Same thing goes for the IR port. If it's turned off / disabled, you can't turn it on by sending messages to the IR port. The system it's attached to isn't responding to it.

A device isn't wireless capable if the wireless is disabled.

Does that mean there aren't bugs out there that can be used to enable said capability (if the hardware / software for it is present) and then use it for nefarious purposes? Nope. I can see someone wanting to do just that.

IMO, based on the activators as listed here, they don't go and turn on something that is explicitly turned off. They hijack it.

I'm reading the activators as changing the allowed access list rather than the state (on/off) of the device. Think privilege elevation. You know, a lot like Exploit (hacker program).

Would I as a nefarious and evil person want to have something that can turn on your cyber's wireless for me to hijack? You betcha. Would I make such a device? Damn skippy I would. But that's because I'm evil that way.

I suspect that is what they were trying for but missed via ambiguity.
Cain
Let's try it this way: My computer is (obviously) internet-capable. Someone writes a virus that opens me up to all kinds of popups. If my computer is tuned off, or if I physically unplug the computer from the network, can the virus turn on the computer and reconnect me to the internet?
knasser

I think that in the normal course of using a device, turning off wireless connectivity is not like removing a fuse and physically disabling the functionality, but just turning the setting off. When I disable the wireless on a laptop, I do it by adjusting a setting, not moving a jumper on the motherboard. It's not usually good to argue by analogy, but in this case, I think it's pretty close to what I'd expect to see in SR2070 tech.

Now it looks likely that activators can turn on wireless in these cases as Tarantula says, because the same level of technological capability required is demonstrated by the deactivators which explicitly do change the wireless settings of a device. And I'd say that the technological capability of either of them is dwarfed by the Broken Arrows that can actually replace AR visuals in real time (HOW ON EARTH????).

Now if someone actually installs a physical switch or cut off to the wireless connection that renders it physically incapable of transmitting, then yes, I'd say tha nanites couldn't do anything at that point. But I also see that as absurdly rare, akin to opening up the laptop and physically removing a component when you could just press a key combination. I'm guessing that opening up a cyberlimb is a "no servicable parts inside" operation for 99% of runners and I just don't see their being a commercial demand for it that you'd see such an external flip-switch on the market.
PlatonicPimp
I agree, though admittedly, I do take my network card out of my laptop when not in use. Thats just because the cover for the slot won't close when the card is in it.
Ol' Scratch
There is no distinguishing from a software or hardware toggle. Whether you manually have to flip a switch to break a circuit, completely yank out a fuse, or simply tell an implant to shut itself off, they all count as temporarily disabling wireless connectivity, and each is just as easy to turn back on as you see fit.
Tarantula
Actually Funk, via SR4, 304, you can't have a hardware toggle. "Any device's wireless capability can be turned off with a simple command. Of course, that means it needs to be turned back on manually, unless you set it to reactivate at a specified time."

The manually to me says that you can wirelessly tell your sunglasses to turn off their wireless, but to re-enable it, you have to use the sunglasses own command interface to tell them to enable the wireless again.

There is no hardware toggle, which is why theres no difference. You can't have one.
Cain
Now if someone actually installs a physical switch or cut off to the wireless connection that renders it physically incapable of transmitting, then yes, I'd say tha nanites couldn't do anything at that point. But I also see that as absurdly rare, akin to opening up the laptop and physically removing a component when you could just press a key combination. I'm guessing that opening up a cyberlimb is a "no servicable parts inside" operation for 99% of runners and I just don't see their being a commercial demand for it that you'd see such an external flip-switch on the market.

Not much demand, no. But according to RAW, such swtiches are tivial to install and cost nothing to add. So, it's not out of the question for a runner to have several such switches installed.
Fortune
QUOTE (Tarantula)
The manually to me says that you can wirelessly tell your sunglasses to turn off their wireless, but to re-enable it, you have to use the sunglasses own command interface to tell them to enable the wireless again.

There is no hardware toggle, which is why theres no difference. You can't have one.

Wouldn't the sunglasses' own interface itself count as a 'toggle' in that case?
Tarantula
Fortune: Think of it more like a wireless mouse and a sync button. You can use software to tell it to turn off, but then you have to use hardware to turn it back on. (Since you can't use the connection to tell it to turn on).

Note, you can tell it to turn off for 5 minutes, and it will turn back on after the 5 minutes. By RAW, it isn't a hardware switch.
Ol' Scratch
Quit trying to spout out "RAW" when you're ignoring it completely with the function of Activators. It makes no mention of activating wireless connectivity. It specifies exactly what it does, and none of those functions include turning it on. Nothing. You're wrong. Deal with it.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Cain)
Let's try it this way: My computer is (obviously) internet-capable. Someone writes a virus that opens me up to all kinds of popups. If my computer is tuned off, or if I physically unplug the computer from the network, can the virus turn on the computer and reconnect me to the internet?

Yeah but let's expand this example to actually include Activators.

In addition to the virus, someone also takes a load of powerful nanites and inject them into your fucking computer and then the microscopic machines power up your computer and open it up to unrestricted wireless internet connectivity. Then the virus is downloaded onto your hard drive.

Can your computer get infected then?

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Think of it more like a wireless mouse and a sync button.

I am thinking of that ... it's on on/off switch. In the 'off' position, what it controls doesn't work. When in the 'on' position, it should. Hence my question as to why you wouldn't classify this as a 'toggle'.
Ol' Scratch
Sure could. But that's not what Activators do as written. It's -very- specific in what it does. It attempts to add you to subscription lists and grants free access to anyone trying to connect.

As a more contemporary example, the first function is like trying to load Internet Explore and connect to a bunch of website, or a peer-to-peer to various computers, or any other numerous examples. The second is like opening up your Remote Access in Windows with no passwords or usernames required. NEITHER amount to jack shit if you have your damn modem turned off, uninstalled the drivers, or otherwise disabled your internet access.
toturi
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 20 2007, 02:54 PM)
Let's try it this way: My computer is (obviously) internet-capable.  Someone writes a virus that opens me up to all kinds of popups.  If my computer is tuned off, or if I physically unplug the computer from the network, can the virus turn on the computer and reconnect me to the internet?

In addition to the virus, someone also takes a load of powerful nanites and inject them into your fucking computer and then the microscopic machines power up your computer and open it up to unrestricted wireless internet connectivity. Then the virus is downloaded onto your hard drive.

-Frank

If those nanites can carry the cable to the computer and plug it in and then turn it on... wait, go to the power switch, turn on the power and then turn the computer on. Yes. Are you saying that's what the nanites do?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (toturi)
If those nanites can carry the cable to the computer and plug it in and then turn it on... wait, go to the power switch, turn on the power and then turn the computer on. Yes. Are you saying that's what the nanites do?

They change the physical hardware of your computer so that it is doing whatever it is that the particular type of Intruder Nanite says that it does. A very reasonable "hardware based" method to subscribe a device to nodes would include turning on the wireless device - so yes. That is pretty much what they do.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 20 2007, 08:36 PM)
They change the physical hardware of your computer so that it is doing whatever it is that the particular type of Intruder Nanite says that it does. A very reasonable "hardware based" method to subscribe a device to nodes would include turning on the wireless device - so yes. That is pretty much what they do.

Actually Intruder Nanites bypass standard software and software defenses and instead hit the processor directly, making it a "hardware attack." It doesn't matter how many times it tells the processer "subscribe to these lists," the actual implant or device can't do so if the wireless connectivity is turned off. Those are completely separate and distinct functions. The former relies on the latter. The former doesn't initiate the latter, especially. And the former certainly doesn't construct its own hardware (be it completing a circuit, constructing a fuse, or plugging a modem back into the device) on the fly to facilitate the latter.

So no, it doesn't create a "'hardware based' method to subscribe a device to nodes." It just skips the software defenses and tells the processor directly. Completely different things.

Intruder nanites attack the BIOS or CPU rather than the Operating System, again as a more contemporary example. And no matter how many times you tell the BIOS or the CPU to connect to the internet, it can't do it if you switch your modem off.
PlatonicPimp
Funk, the rules are ambiguous. Shadowrun wasn't written in such a way that you can say "if it doesn't specifically say you can you can't." Especially in regards to anything matrix related. You can read them either way. You can also come up with justifications about why some imaginary technology works one way or the other. So if thats how you want to run it, go ahead.

But many of the rest of us find that reading boring. And the wording in RAW is ambiguous enough (it depends on what you think certain terms, like "subscribing" and "unrestricted access" mean, gamewise) that it's up t the GM. And the logic of it is that, hell, they're nanites. Maybe they rebuild the wireless connection atom by atom, or they receive the instructions themselves and manually move the bits around. They can fricken do whatever.

Let me ask you this. Exactly what game balance issue are we coming up against, if we allow the nanites to turn on wireless connectivity on a peice of cyberware that has switched off their wireless, but not removed it?
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 20 2007, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 20 2007, 08:36 PM)

Actually Intruder Nanites bypass standard software and software defenses and instead hit the processor directly, making it a "hardware attack." It doesn't matter how many times it tells the processer "subscribe to these lists," the actual implant or device can't do so if the wireless connectivity is turned off. Those are completely separate and distinct functions. The former relies on the latter. The former doesn't initiate the latter, especially. And the former certainly doesn't construct its own hardware (be it completing a circuit, constructing a fuse, or plugging a modem back into the device) on the fly to facilitate the latter.

So no, it doesn't create a "'hardware based' method to subscribe a device to nodes." It just skips the software defenses and tells the processor directly. Completely different things.

Intruder nanites attack the BIOS or CPU rather than the Operating System, again as a more contemporary example. And no matter how many times you tell the BIOS or the CPU to connect to the internet, it can't do it if you switch your modem off.

What, wait - if it can interact with the process directly, why can it not engage any switch?

Lots of switches are electrically controlled.

It's smart enough to haxor processors directly so there is a lot of brains in there.

Edit: It's been a while, but isn't the power on switch on the front of most PCs actually wired to transistors on the motherboard that then tell the powersupply to go from stand by to power on.

In that case isn't it actually attacking the 'processor' to turn the device on?

With my laptop for example, the wireless switch is hardware. But you could certainly take the machine *turn it on* (electric toggle switch), then fire up the modem and dial out if it was connected to anything. However wireless has a physical switch, so you couldn't do that.

If you contrast it to my co-workers dell, he has an electrical switch for wireless that you could probably activiate if you could control arbitart transistors (what you do if you interact with the processor), and go for off laptop to connected to the internet.
Cain
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 20 2007, 07:24 PM)
Let's try it this way: My computer is (obviously) internet-capable.  Someone writes a virus that opens me up to all kinds of popups.  If my computer is tuned off, or if I physically unplug the computer from the network, can the virus turn on the computer and reconnect me to the internet?

-Frank

Only if the nanites are capable of brewing coffee and raising my stats to 500 as well. cool.gif

If my computer doesn't have wireless, only internet, then how can it get infected by a wireless virus? What happens if my wireless card is broken, and my modem is disconnected? Since I don't have any possible way to connect to the internet, due to the cable lying on the floor in another room, then the answer is no. You cannot infect a computer with an internet virus when it's not connected to the internet, nanites or no nanites.

Seriously, all Activators do by RAW is turn on a wireless-enabled device. They don't bridge gaps, they don't drag cables halfway across the house. If you have a wireless-disabled device, by flipping an uncommon (but dirt cheap to add) toggle switch, then the activators can't do a damn thing.

Try this on for size: Let's say that Decker X has a burnt-out internal commlink after a nasty cybercombat. He then gets hit with Activators. Are you suggesting that the nanites actually fix the broken cyber?
Edit:
Edit: It's been a while, but isn't the power on switch on the front of most PCs actually wired to transistors on the motherboard that then tell the powersupply to go from stand by to power on.

Exactly. So if you add a physical toggle to turn the wireless off, then the nantites can't do anything. You might be able to write a program to power up my computer when I shut it down the soft way, but you can't do a thing if I unplug it from the wall.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 21 2007, 01:21 AM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 20 2007, 07:24 PM)

-Frank

Only if the nanites are capable of brewing coffee and raising my stats to 500 as well. cool.gif If my computer doesn't have wireless, only internet, then how can it get infected by a wireless virus? What happens if my wireless card is broken, and my moden is disconnected?

Seriously, all Activators do by RAW is turn on a wireless-enabled device. They don't bridge gaps, they don't drag cables halfway across the house. If you have a wireless-disabled device, by flipping an uncommon (but dirt cheap to add) toggle switch, then the activators can't do a damn thing.

Try this on for size: Let's say that Decker X has a burnt-out internal commlink after a nasty cybercombat. He then gets hit with Activators. Are you suggesting that the nanites actually fix the broken cyber?
Edit:

Exactly. So if you add a physical toggle to turn the wireless off, then the nantites can't do anything. You might be able to write a program to power up my computer when I shut it down the soft way, but you can't do a thing if I unplug it from the wall.

While there is clearly a point of absurdity (the power supply is in another country) and a point of rationality (The device is turned off, but otherwise connected to stuff), you could probably argue for months about where in the middle is the grey line.

I'd be perfectly happy with activators activating an electrically operated switch. A hard physical disconnect would probably be another issue.

Edit: In other news, why carn't activators turn on a toggle switch? they clearly have the capacity to reroute power in a device (basic principle of operating electronics), why don;t they just re-route power somewhere else?

Edit2: I agree with you, in the totally disconnected from power state, activators cannot do anything. neither can the user. However, things like cyberlimbs are never actually disconnected from your body which gives you power. Lets discuss them.
knasser
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Quit trying to spout out "RAW" when you're ignoring it completely with the function of Activators. It makes no mention of activating wireless connectivity. It specifies exactly what it does, and none of those functions include turning it on. Nothing. You're wrong. Deal with it.

Might I just say that the description of Activators and Deactivators is loose enough that Tarantula's interpretation is reasonable? You are in no position to be so emphatic in saying that he's wrong. I think most of us would agree that the disabling of wireless functionality is normally handled by software rather than making a physical break in a circuit somewhere. And with the description of nanites right next to the Activator description that can actually edit AR visuals in real time (now that's insane), re-activating wireless seems trivial. I agree with Cain in that introducing a physical switch would scupper the nanites, but I disagree that this would be something you came across in the course of a game. A character who did that would be legitimately regarded as crazy: "Let me get this right - you paid the doc 400 nuyen.gif to drill a hole in your arm and stick a light switch in it so that you turn your wireless off by pressing it instead of just thinking a thought at it?"
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (knasser)
Might I just say that the description of Activators and Deactivators is loose enough that Tarantula's interpretation is reasonable? You are in no position to be so emphatic in saying that he's wrong.

I am when he does little more in these threads but tell people that they're wrong "by the RAW" only to have him play the part of the shining hypocrite and ignoring "RAW" as he sees fit, then act like he's justified in doing so. Especially when what he's saying is nothing like what is actually written.

Put it this way. Turning off your wireless connectivity is something a smart character does. Just like putting on armor, getting an innoculation, or acquiring any other passive defenses. Right? Right.

Now say someone shoots you with a bullet. That armor you're wearing interfers with the bullet doing it's job. So what's that mean? Of course! The bullet deactivates the armor and hits you unimpeded because that's what it was designed to do -- hit you and kill you.

Now say you encounter Gamma-Anthrax after having received an innoculation in preparation for that exposure. Gamma-Anthrax can't do it's job because you had the foresight to innoculate yourself... so, naturally, that means Gamma-Anthrax deactivates the innoculation and kills you dead because that's what it does -- kill you.

Getting the point yet?

Activators make no mention of disabling that admittedly SIMPLE defense against them. But that's the point. It's a defense against just that sort of attack, one that's ASSUMED most runners aren't doing (else it would be the default setting rather than there being a rule allowing you to do so). Activators stick it hard to those who weren't smart and who didn't care to turn off their wireless connectivity for whatever reason. Just like bullets hurt people without armor alot more than they hurt those with it. Just like toxins and pathogens will fuck you over if you don't have an innoculation. It's all the same basic principle: You take the precaution, you get the benefit. You don't, you suffer the consequences.
Tarantula
They also make no note of it actually being a defense against them. I will agree that a PHYSICAL switch would block them from working, however, a PHYSICAL switch is not an option by RAW. By RAW, your options are software off, and hardware removed.
knasser
Getting the point yet?

Yes, loud and clear - you wish to be rude not only to Tarantula, but also anyone who attempts to inject some neutrality into the debate.

The text says "wireless capable devices." That's more than enough room to rule that they can turn on wireless connections, especially when we have an established level of tech for nanites that is way beyond that (editing AR visuals in real time). And when Tarantula says that there are no physical cut offs for wireless connectivity under RAW, he's correct to the extent of my knowledge (unless you start daubing yourself in wi-fi blocking paint). It would be a harsh GM that didn't let a player get something like that installed, but it's not in the book.

This may be a shock to you, but not everyone agrees with you. A GM could justifiably rule either way according to RAW. And that is all I said and it was in response to your telling Tarantula: "You're wrong. Deal with it!"

Regards,

-Khadim.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 21 2007, 08:20 AM)
They also make no note of it actually being a defense against them.  I will agree that a PHYSICAL switch would block them from working, however, a PHYSICAL switch is not an option by RAW.  By RAW, your options are software off, and hardware removed.

See. RAW when it supports him, fuck it all when it doesn't. Hence the attitude.

QUOTE (knasser)
This may be a shock to you, but not everyone agrees with you.

No, it's not a shock at all. The only shock I ever get on these forums are the people who think they're the only ones with an opinion and everyone else is dictating universal laws to them instead of also sharing their opinion. But I guess it's only okay to develop and defend an opinion if it's yours, not anyone else's, eh?

And hey, no matter how ridiculous the assertion is, we can totally ignore it as we see fit because "RAW" doesn't say it can't do something, so it can! That's the asinine logic being used here afterall.
FrankTrollman
And hey, no matter how ridiculous the assertion is, we can totally ignore it as we see fit because "RAW" doesn't say it can't do something, so it can! That's the asinine logic being used here afterall.

Actually, that's not the argument at all. The argument is whether a device which has its wireless capabilities turned off is "wireless capable".

I, and for that matter Tarantula, say that unless the antennae are physically removed the answer is "yes". And if it is a "wireless capable device", an activator can, well, activate its wireless capabilities to allow unrestricted access from other wireless devices.

You say that a device whose antennae has been powered down is not wireless capable. That's a defensible position, but it is unfair to characterize people who disagree with you as making giant logical leaps.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Tarantula)
I will agree that a PHYSICAL switch would block them from working, however, a PHYSICAL switch is not an option by RAW.

QUOTE (SR3 p. 304 @ "Turning It Off")
Any device’s wireless capability can be turned off with a simple command. Of course, that means it needs to be turned back on manually, unless you set it to reactivate at a specified time.

Hmm. I can turn off my computer by telling Windows to shut it down (a software command). Yet can't turn it back on without manually pushing the button on the case.

But that can't be. And when it's turned off (or even just the modem is turned off), my internet-capable computer is no longer internet capable, huh? And just because I have it turned off, that instantly destroys any viruses I may have that infected my internet-capable device. (Which, by the way, is all the text for Activators says; is that it infects wireless-capable devices, not that it can do jack shit if wireless connectivity is turned off. But never mind that.)
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 21 2007, 11:50 AM)
Actually, that's not the argument at all. The argument is whether a device which has its wireless capabilities turned off is "wireless capable".

Didn't see your post until I posted. As I said in my last post, just because I turn my modem or even my PC off, that doesn't stop it from being an internet-capable device. It's still capable of logging on to the internet; it just isn't at the moment, nor can any software or even hardware virii installed on my currently internet-capable device affect the internet due to that simple precaution.

You say that a device whose antennae has been powered down is not wireless capable.

No. I say it's wireless-capable, it's just not wireless-"active" to semi-coin a phrase I guess. Again: Phenomenonally huge difference between the two. I can pull all the plugs and wires on my computer and put it in my closet, and it's still internet-capable. If I rip out the network card and tash my modem, it's no longer internet-capable.
FrankTrollman
You say that a device whose antennae has been powered down is not wireless capable.

No. I say it's wireless-capable, it's just not wireless-"active" to semi-coin a phrase I guess. Again: Phenomenonally huge difference between the two. I can pull all the plugs and wires on my computer and put it in my closet, and it's still internet-capable. If I rip out the network card and tash my modem, it's no longer internet-capable.

But you see, Activators don't require a wireless active target. They require a Wireless capable target. So if you admit that a device whose wireless has merely been turned off is still wireless capable, then there's no room for argument.

It's a hardware attack. Little nanites come into your device and transform a wireless capable device into a device which is active on the internets and open to any kind of intrusion.

For contrast, the Deactivator nanites shut your wireless connections off. There's a little piece of parity there. Deactivators turn your wireless off, Activators turn your wireless on. There is no requirement for your wireless to already be on for an Activator to function, nor is there a requirement for your wireless to be off for a Deactivator to function.

Indeed, the entire name of the "Acivator" should probably indicate to you that it probably circumvents a need for the target to be active. That's why it's an Activator.

-Frank
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But you see, Activators don't require a wireless active target. They require a Wireless capable target. So if you admit that a device whose wireless has merely been turned off is still wireless capable, then there's no room for argument.

Actually, it says it infects a wireless-capable device and that's only mentioned in that exact regard -- what it infects. And there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to infect a wireless-capable device that was shut off because it doesn't attack through software or wireless means; it attacks the processor -- and only the processor -- directly.

It's a hardware attack. Little nanites come into your device and transform a wireless capable device into a device which is active on the internets and open to any kind of intrusion.

No, that's not what Intruder Nanites do. Intruder Nanites hijack a device by ignoring all the software protection like Firewall or IC. It's right there in plain text in the first paragraph of Intruder Nanites. Hell, the second paragraph even says a simple reboot destroys them. They're not these hardcore super hackers and mini-nanoforges capable of ultratech manipulations.

For contrast, the Deactivator nanites shut your wireless connections off.

Exactly! They specifically state that they turn off wireless connections. That is not the opposite of removing software permissions, which is what Activators are described as doing. And it's a simple function to perform; my version of Windows XP can do it just like <snap> that, as can most any application if it wanted to. But I don't have a single program that'll turn my computer on if it's turned off; but I have have virii that attempts to take out my security so that malicious intruders can hack into it while it was turned on and connected to the Internet. Nifty coincidence, neh?

There's a little piece of parity there. Deactivators turn your wireless off, Activators turn your wireless on.

They're two completely different types of nanites, both performing completely different functions with only a naming scheme and a single function being related to one another.

Indeed, the entire name of the "Acivator" should probably indicate to you that it probably circumvents a need for the target to be active. That's why it's an Activator.

Does that mean a Colt Manhunter is actually a bounty-seeking baby horse? Are Surtr nanites actually fire giants from Mulsphelheim? Names are marketing gimmicks, nothing more nothing less.
darthmord
I think the stance that Dr. F & I are taking is much like so...

Computer advertises that a computer is internet capable yet on the showroom floor, it has no internet connection of any kind.

It's rather hard to infect that machine with anything since it's not connected DESPITE it being connection capable.

That said, if nanites were to infect a piece of cyberware or other electronic hardware, I could see them enabling a logic switch (soft-off / soft-on) in order to make the wireless work (if there was something out there to connect to). But for a hard on/off switch, I'd say no unless it was described in such a way as to resemble an auto ignition switch (something that can be shorted / jumped / worked around). A dongle that grants wireless functionality for instance.

But what is to stop someone from getting their gear with the feature that to enable wireless comms that one must have some sort of dongle. I was thinking of looking at it such where you can't wirelessly communicate with my cyberware without such a dongle. Obviously this would interfere with getting diagnostics but I could have the diagnostics output redirected to my cybereyes so I can see what's going on while staying safe. When getting a tune up from the cyber-doc, I put the dongle in and he can retrieve those same diagnostics wirelessly.

I see both sides and both are right. It really depends on how your GM rules it.
knasser
The only shock I ever get on these forums are the people who think they're the only ones with an opinion and everyone else is dictating universal laws to them instead of also sharing their opinion.

Such as for example (and I quote):

Nothing. You're wrong. Deal with it.

Yep, I'll agree with you on the issue of people should remember their giving their opinion. You might also want to avoid directing your venom at people (me) who were trying to return a bit of neutrality to the thread.

Now since you're arguing so vehemently that the paragraph you quoted:
Any device’s wireless capability can be turned off with a simple command. Of course, that means it needs to be turned back on manually, unless you set it to reactivate at a specified time.

means that you have to physically flick a switch, press a button, etc. to re-enable wireless, then you are presumably arguing that anyone with a DNI interface to their cyberware (which is pretty much everyone and everytype of cyber device bar things like dermal plating), cannot turn wireless on via this link? Because if they can, then wireless is clearly disabled through a "soft" setting, and if they can't, then you have to (a) provide a very good reason why not, and (b) go back through all those games where people did exactly that and ret-con it.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 21 2007, 08:20 AM)
They also make no note of it actually being a defense against them.  I will agree that a PHYSICAL switch would block them from working, however, a PHYSICAL switch is not an option by RAW.  By RAW, your options are software off, and hardware removed.

See. RAW when it supports him, fuck it all when it doesn't. Hence the attitude.

Where have I utterly ignored RAW when forming my arguements and opinions, please, a quote & link to the thread.

Actually, it says it infects a wireless-capable device and that's only mentioned in that exact regard -- what it infects. And there's no reason why they wouldn't be able to infect a wireless-capable device that was shut off because it doesn't attack through software or wireless means; it attacks the processor -- and only the processor -- directly.

Aug, 116, "Activators infect wireless-capable devices and perform one of two simple, yet annoying tasks: They either subscribe the infected device to nodes without the user’s permission, or open the device to universal unrestricted access. Such changes in access status are not necessarily apparent if the device isn’t being directly monitored."

Going through the paragraph, activators infect ANY wireless-capable powered on or not, wireless active or not. Then, it can perform one of its two functions, either subscribing the device to nodes, or opening it universally.

System reboots destroy nanites, so its quite arguable that a powered off device instantly destroys any nanites infecting itself.

This leaves powered on devices, with wireless on and with wireless off to be possibly infected. Since theres no debate about devices with their wireless turned on, we'll just assume it works as intended on them. With devices powered on, with their wireless off, there is no text governing what happens. The Activator text says they do their effects with no mention of wireless status, merely capability. This is why I believe they are able to enable the wireless connection, and subscribe or open it to access.

You are equally valid in choosing that by not specifying how it affects a wireless off device, it doesn't. However, this isn't the only intepretation, and continuing to insist that it is just shows how hypocritical you are.

They're two completely different types of nanites, both performing completely different functions with only a naming scheme and a single function being related to one another.

Aug, 116, "Deactivators: Similar to activators, deactivators either unsubscribe the user’s node access or close all of the device’s wireless connections."
Really? Completely different? Even though the text for deactivators says they are similar to activators? I wasn't aware that things that were similar are completely different.
Cain
QUOTE (Tarantula)
They also make no note of it actually being a defense against them. I will agree that a PHYSICAL switch would block them from working, however, a PHYSICAL switch is not an option by RAW. By RAW, your options are software off, and hardware removed.

Actually, no. According to Augmentation, manual switches are a free extra for cyber devices. You can easily hook that physical toggle to the wireless card, disabling wireless.

I agree with Cain in that introducing a physical switch would scupper the nanites, but I disagree that this would be something you came across in the course of a game. A character who did that would be legitimately regarded as crazy: "Let me get this right - you paid the doc 400 nuyen to drill a hole in your arm and stick a light switch in it so that you turn your wireless off by pressing it instead of just thinking a thought at it?"

Once again: these switches are free, and actually override the mental impulse. For example, let's say Logan the Sammie gets cyberspurs installed. Rather than having them go "SNIKT" every time he thinks about his fingernails funny, he gets a manual switch installed, until he can get used to his new toys. This is pretty much the reason used in Augmentation for adding manual triggers.
Tarantula
Can I get a page number please?

Edit: Found it, under page 32. Such switches are for the cyberware entirely though. You can have a subdermal switch to turn your arm on and off by RAW, but you can't have one that only completely disables the wireless until its flicked back on. Again, this is according to the RAW.
Adarael
I'm not even getting involved in the Dr. Funk/Tarantula discussion, but here's how I see it:

500 nuyen a rating is a little to cheap to totally scrub all of a team's wireless-capable cyberware IF it can't be defeated by switching wireless off or a decker who catches wind of what's up.

And that's all I gotta say.
Tarantula
Adarael, its an opposed test of activators rating (in this case 1, for 500 nuyen) vs the device rating (again, 1 for bodyware, like a limb) (SR4, 214). So, its a 50/50 shot either way.

It also doesn't totally scrub it, anyone looking for active nodes will notice it, and then they can just send out a global reboot command to all their devices to fix it. Its inconvenient, not crippling. Also, each dose only affects the first device it hits (GM discretion to what that is). Not everything.
knasser

Plus, got to say, you could buy quite a few grenades for 500 nuyen.gif and you don't even have to inject them, proximity is good enough.

@Cain: That's interesting. I too would like a reference to it in Arsenal as it obviously didn't register. I still agree that a physical switch would stop it, I just hadn't considered that it would be in any way something you would come across. Good justification, though. I'd like to see what it says in Augmentation, though. I read through the section on pg. 28 again and didn't see anything like this referred to.
Adarael
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 21 2007, 10:00 PM)
Adarael, its an opposed test of activators rating (in this case 1, for 500 nuyen) vs the device rating (again, 1 for bodyware, like a limb) (SR4, 214).  So, its a 50/50 shot either way.

It also doesn't totally scrub it, anyone looking for active nodes will notice it, and then they can just send out a global reboot command to all their devices to fix it.  Its inconvenient, not crippling.  Also, each dose only affects the first device it hits (GM discretion to what that is).  Not everything.

Unless you buy rating six, in which case it's a guaranteed deal.

As to your other points:

1) It scrubs it because anyone with half a brain will set the activators to subscribe the ware to their network. At which point the ware isn't a node, it's just slaved to a (probably quite hardened) node.
2) It's crippling because once your 'ware is owned by another node, they have a free back door to whatever system it was originally on, since it's probably still subscribed to that. Or, in the case of any system that isn't, they can crash the ware or edit to to do what they want. Eyes? Ears? Limbs? Headware comm? About the only non-critical ware are the little bits: the encephalon, the spur, the math SPU. Tallying my own street sam's gear, I count 9 pieces of ware I consider 'critical' or would otherwise totally hose me, and 3 that wouldn't (spur, math spu). The fact remains that the larger the system is (limbs, nervewires, headware) the more likely it'll be to be the 'first encountered'. And generally that gear is highly critical.
3) Activators can be spread via contact or inhalation. That means that if you pump a couple of doses into a room, people won't notice, and they'll get hit multiple times.

My point isn't that they aren't awesome - they are. My point is that if they can turn your shit on when you have wireless set to 'off', they should cost more. Especially since they're only 8R availability, and thus players could spread 'em all over for cheap. All I'm saying is that rating 6 vs something that's almost always rating 1 that can't be improved (since they bypass firewall) is kinda cheap to march around willy nilly if something is 'off' to begin with.
FrankTrollman
Unless you buy rating six, in which case it's a guaranteed deal.

So for 3000 nuyen.gif I can virtually guaranty that I can activate some guy's wireless connection on his arm if I can hit it with a jelly.

Or for 1000 nuyen.gif I can unload a canister of Seven-7 and just fucking murder everyone in a city block.

Or hell, for 50 nuyen.gif I can get a pack of Narcoject that'll just plain knock some fool unconcious if I hit him with the jelly. Then I can walk over and hack his cyberlimbs to my heart's content.

I think the sky may in fact be falling.

-Frank
toturi
Is a formerly wireless capable device that has its capability turned off still wireless capable? What is the writers/developers take on this question?

Is it wireless incapable until the wireless is turned back on? Or is it merely wireless inactive but still capable? By Frank's answer, I'm assuming that it is rendered inactive but still capable. So my next question would be what would it take to render a device wireless incapable?
DireRadiant
How much does a Area Jammer cost?
Tarantula
1) Just because its subscribed to your network doesn't mean their DNI control doesn't work. DNI always works.
2) I'm pretty sure your commlink wasn't set to accept commands coming from your cyberarm. Regardless, unless your arm was wireless on and subscribed to your commlink, then theres no backdoor to any other system there. They can just use the arm as a relay to hack any wireless-active gear you have on you.
3) Well, via contact most ware is pretty safe except for things like limbs, datajacks, cybereyes/ears/noses. Anything on the inside (muscle replacements, headware, internal air tanks, etc.) would be quite safe via contact. As far as inhalation, well, you're get their cybernose, or maybe their trachea filters. Congradulations.

Actually, headware goes up to rating 3, alpha is 4, beta is 5, and delta is 6. So it can be improved, get better ware.

toturi, incapable would be covered on Aug, 31. Where you have a street doc surgically disable/remove the wireless parts of your ware. They won't work again until you go back in to a street doc to have them fixed.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (toturi)
Is a formerly wireless capable device that has its capability turned off still wireless capable? What is the writers/developers take on this question?

Is it wireless incapable until the wireless is turned back on? Or is it merely wireless inactive but still capable? By Frank's answer, I'm assuming that it is rendered inactive but still capable. So my next question would be what would it take to render a device wireless incapable?

Augmentation p. 31
"Nonetheless, for the paranoid, it is relatively easy to have a
street doc disable or remove wireless links. Note, however, that
this makes care and maintenance more difficult. Besides requiring
invasive surgical procedures for inspection and maintenance, the
gamemaster may apply a –1 to –3 dice pool modifier to any relevant
tests the cyberdoc performs. Note that some implants may
not need a complete wireless link—built-in RFID sensor tags can
monitor the implant and report any problems. The gamemaster
determines what implants/devices incorporate wireless links."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012