Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergence Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
JesterX
I can't find any reviews of the Emergence campaign...

I tried googling it and search on these forums but I can't find anything...

Anyone got a link to a review?

Or anyone here tried to run it?

Is it good?
Buster
There definitely was a long thread here on Emergence about a month ago, so it might be a few pages back.

Personally, I really hated the premise of the Emergence campaign:

"People are perfectly fine with magicians that can read their minds, force people to kill their own families, fireball crowds of people, and summon demons that can bring down airplanes and collapse buildings; but they're really afraid of technomancers who can break into their commlinks and read their email."

Emergence might have made sense if people already hated and feared magicians and adepts. It might have even made sense if scriptkiddie hackers couldn't do everything a technomancer can do (and probably do it better). Also, Emergence might have been a clever way to introduce technomancers if they weren't already in the core book.

It's a GM's source book, all fluff, no crunch. There are no adventures and there weren't even any new echoes, tricks, or qualities for technomancers.

Sorry to be so harsh, but Augmentation and Street Magic were lots better. frown.gif They should have rolled Emergence into Unwired.
Dizzman
I've had it for about a month and I'm about halfway through. In other words, its not very engaging. Then again, I don't like TMs that much. AFAIK, its not really an adventure. It has some adventure ideas...kinda like Year of the Comet.
Ol' Scratch
Yeah. The premise makes no sense at all. Best I can tell it's a feeble attempt to clutch on to the 1980's mentality of cyberpunk. "Ooh, something new is scary! The world isn't turning into a giant swarm of technophiles who would, at worst, be completely envious and in awe of people who could interact with the Internet! No way! Witch hunt! Witch hunt! I don't care how unplausible it is, witch hunt! Oh man, my sore is throat; hey Mr. Mage, when you're done killing that guy across the street without anyone knowing, can you cast a Heal on me? k thx." Please.

Freaking out when people start goblinizing into monsters? Yeah. I can see that. General mayhem when dragons emerge out of nowhere and people start throwing mojo without any explanation? Again, sure, I can see that. But having a new breed of magician (despite vehement claims to the contrary) who can interact with the Matrix without a commlink/deck 60 years after the Awakening causing that much fuss? Just a piss-poor premise all around.
JesterX
But what about the campaign itself? Is it good?

If my group doesn't have technomancers, is the campaign interesting enough?
Buster
The campaign is cool if you can swallow the premise and liked the political stuff in X-Men. There aren't any fully fleshed out adventures though, just half formed idea joggers.
Ancient History
It's not just about technomancers. There's also metaplot goodness and AIs for you to enjoy. I haven't read a full and balanced review yet.
Synner
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 27 2007, 09:32 PM)
Emergence might have made sense if people already hated and feared magicians and adepts.  Also, Emergence might have been a clever way to introduce technomancers if they weren't already in the core book.

I suggest you reread the Street Magic fluff regarding how magic and magicians are percieved by mundane society - people have had 60 years to get used to magic and still there is fear and suspicion. The emergence of technomancers is directly linked (by the media and its masters) to the single most catastrophic and traumatic event in recent living memory in the Sixth World. There's a significant difference.

As to technomancers being in the base book, Emergence begins in late 2069 and transpires during 2070. This is simultaneous with the BBB, which you will note includes no fiction on how technomancers interact with society other than they are very, very rare.

Furthermore technomancers aren't all that Emergence has in store.
JesterX
I quite like the idea of Technomancers been seen as "the new boogeyman"

In fact, that's how I already play it. As Synner pointed out, the Otakus were mainly responsible for what happened in the second crash... So it's only natural for non-resonance aware people to be quite mefiant if not afraid of them.

I think I'll like that one...

From what I understand, it's assembled like Mob War! and Blood in the Boardroom were?
Buster
QUOTE (synner)
I suggest you reread the Street Magic fluff regarding how magic and magicians are percieved by mundane society - people have had 60 years to get used to magic and still there is fear and suspicion.

Fear and suspicion is not the same as a full blown witch hunt holocaust. Mages, scriptkiddie hackers, and cybersams are all subject to fear and suspicion, not genocide. Emergence seems to be in it's own universe where mages, cybersams, and hackers don't exist.
Synner
QUOTE (JesterX @ Aug 27 2007, 09:53 PM)
From what I understand, it's assembled like Mob War! and Blood in the Boardroom were?

In fact it is very similar in structure with System Failure which means its GI sections are also similar to MobWar and BitB.

Fear and suspicion is not the same as a full blown witch hunt holocaust. Mages, scriptkiddie hackers, and cybersams are all subject to fear and suspicion, not genocide. Emergence seems to be in it's own universe where mages, cybersams, and hackers don't exist.

Let me clarify, if cybersams, hackers and mages were depicted as:
  • directly linked to the force behind the single most catastrophic event in recent history the cause of hundreds of thousands of deaths worldwide,
  • defined as crazy, schizoid nutjobs wielding uncontrollable powers that actually contribute to make them more unstable,
  • described as able to spontaneously generate computer code, speak to Matrix dwelling entities unknown to anyone else, and potentially create another Crash virus,
  • inexplicably being able to do with their minds, what it costs an mundane human thousands of dollars and considerable skill to replicate,
  • allegedly linked to alien artificial intelligences that hide in the Matrix.
... by every major corp owned media outlet on Earth then they'd suffer a witch hunt too.
Zhan Shi
I've never much cared for the tech side of SR; my focus has always been the magic/secret history of the world type stuff. I agree that the premise was somewhat weak. And I miss the engaging banter that was in many SR3 books (like Cyberpirates), although I understand why it was toned down; it was probably hell on the writers/developers to keep track of it all. Also, I am a little taken aback by SR's use of profanity. Don't want to seem like a prude, but one of the things (for me) which separated SR from other game lines (think White Wolf) was the creative use of language. I miss the "frag"s and "drek"s, etc.

Having said that, the book itself was an interesting read, and gave many good ideas for adventure hooks. What 'runner would not what technomancers and AIs owing him favors for saving his hoop from the witch hunt?
Zhan Shi
oops. I think Cyberpirates was SR2.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner)
Let me clarify, if cybersams, hackers and mages were depicted as:
  • directly linked to the force behind the single most catastrophic event in recent history the cause of hundreds of thousands of deaths worldwide,
  • defined as crazy, schizoid nutjobs wielding uncontrollable powers that actually contribute to make them more unstable,
  • described as able to spontaneously generate computer code, speak to Matrix dwelling entities unknown to anyone else, and potentially create another Crash virus,
  • inexplicably being able to do with their minds, what it costs an mundane human thousands of dollars and considerable skill to replicate,
... by every major corp owned media outlet on Earth then they'd suffer a witch hunt too.

Translation: We cooked up a hokey plot idea and forced it into being with a mallet. Accept it, peons, regardless of how implausible it all is. See, we made the media say it so it's all okay cause the media is godly! That makes it all okay. Now accept the stupidity of the premise and move on.

Gotcha.
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 27 2007, 10:17 PM)
Translation:  We cooked up a hokey plot idea and forced it into being with a mallet.  Accept it, peons, regardless of how implausible it all is.  See, we made the media say it so it's all okay cause the media is godly!  That makes it all okay.  Now accept the stupidity of the premise and move on.

Strange even though it seems to work to get presidents elected today, I don't see how it could possibly work in a fictional setting where the powers that be controlling the media are even more powerful and influential over public perceptions than today's are... sarcastic.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 27 2007, 04:24 PM)
Strange it seems to work to get presidents elected, I don't see how it could possibly work in a fictional setting where the powers that be controlling the media are even more powerful than today... sarcastic.gif

Yes, that's the part that's stupid about the premise. You got me.

Nevermind Bug City or the Universal Brotherhood with their actual alien invasions. Nevermind that being able to talk to a computer without having to spend 500 nuyen on a commlink is hardly BOO SCARY!!!, especially compared to throwing out fireballs, creating mana warps when presidents get magically assassinated, or being able to mind rape you on a whim. Nevermind that mages regularly talk to "alien artificial entities" on a regular basis, even conjuring them out of thin air, right smack in front of people.

Technomancers are scary! For realz! They might be talking with what are little more than advanced Agent programs on the Matrix. They, unlike hackers or megacorporations, might be able to write viral code (guess that's how the first Crash came about, too, huh?). So that clearly makes them far more scary than magicians, dragons, and all the evil boogeymonsters lurking in the dark. Brilliant premise! Absolutely flawless. How could anyone roll their eyes at that?

If anything, I'd be surprised if in a far more plausible take of the events, the majority of the public wouldn't be suspecting the Crash 2.0 was all a ploy by the megacorporations to force everyone to use their new Matrix and mass-produced Commlinks that just came out of thin air. And that the real witch hunt wouldn't be aimed at them. (And nevermind that this would have been a perfect way to write in a means of having governments regain some of their lost power base as a result.)

No. Clearly the mediocre, subpar, technomancers who's abilities anyone can pretty much mimic for a few bucks and a quick Computer 101 course are to blame. Kill 'em all. (But still make them a plausible character archetype.)
Buster
QUOTE (JesterX)
I quite like the idea of Technomancers been seen as "the new boogeyman"

In fact, that's how I already play it.  As Synner pointed out, the Otakus were mainly responsible for what happened in the second crash...  So it's only natural for non-resonance aware people to be quite mefiant if not afraid of them.

I think I'll like that one...

I think you would like Emergence then. I remember thinking the whole time I was reading it, "if this was in a stand alone universe instead of Shadowrun, I would love this." GURPS: Emergence would have been great. biggrin.gif

I love X-Men, and Emergence is very X-Men. So if you can get passed the premise that the all-powerful media has stopped a genocide on mages, razorboys, and scriptkiddies but not on technomancers, then I would buy it (but keep the receipt wink.gif )
Synner
No. Clearly the mediocre, subpar, technomancers who's abilities anyone can pretty much mimic for a few bucks and a quick Computer 101 course are to blame. Kill 'em all. (But still make them a plausible character archetype.)

The problem there being that somehow Average Joe in the Sixth World is aware of the metagame information and realizes that it's all hype and the rules for technomancers in SR4 actually make them pushovers.

Emergence develops from the premise that Average Joe doesn't know the full extent of a technomancers powers. In fact, at several points in the story technomancers are seen to do things TM characters are clearly unable to do under the rules. A handful of TMs bring down a major city grid easily (nobody knows they're sending out sprites to do the hard work nor does it matter). Their abilities are described by scientists and pundits as electrokinetic, so who knows what their limits are? (You only do because you've read the rules). They seem to descend from otaku who were behind the Second Crash (and nobody knows) and they may or may not be linked to mysterious AIs (who turn out to be equally threatening).

The point is that Average Joe doesn't know, and that's a sure way to mislead and manipulate the masses into believeing what someone wants them to believe.
Ol' Scratch
You're assuming anything I said was based upon the perceived power of a Technomancer. Joe Bob Average has access to the Matrix just as much as a Technomancer does. Hardly anything scary about that, especially if the majority of the populace is even moderately knowledgeable about it (which is hard to believe that they're not). As opposed to, you know, being able to conjure sentient monsters out of thin air, throw lightning bolts out of their fingers, or turn innocent people out enjoying a walk in the park into mentally controlled puppets.
knasser
I was the villain that started the Emergence Review thread when it first came out. If you search through the 4th Ed. forum here for "Emergence Review" it will pop right up. I considered my review to be fair as I gave full reasons for every comment so that people could know if it would apply to their own tastes or if they should ignore me. There was a long, long thread following it covering all the points and counterpoints made by people.

I'm not going to start repeating everything again as I said I would not and the original (long) thread is there if anyone cares to click search. I do want to make one comment about the game being suitable for non-technomancers, however. It is not. Many comparisons with the X-men have been made here already. The important point to grasp is that apart from the technomancer character in the party, everyone else is Bobby's parents.

There's also a major issue in that it came out... over a year after the original book. For anyone that has a technomancer character that has been getting on fine with everyone, they might wonder why all their contacts are retroactively shocked and prejudiced.

Okay, I'm starting up again, I'll stop there.
Malachi
I think the fear and panic from Technomancers is very in-keeping with establish SR history. The people of the SR world are afraid of everything new. They were scared of Magic when it appeared, they were scared of the other races and Goblinization, they were afraid of Bugs and new spirits, they were afraid of SURGE, and they were afraid when they learned of rogue evil AI's. Seems very plausible to me that they would be afraid of the next "new" thing.

As for people's expectations about what is actually in the book, perhaps Catalyst needs to better communicate the types of books that exist. Emergence is a "plot" book, Augmentation and Street Magic are rule ("crunch") books, and On the Run is an Adventure book.

If you don't like the book, then don't include it in "your" Shadowrun world. I don't think anyone at Catalyst would claim that you must use
"their" version of the world, so it's really not a big deal.

Finally, I would like people to keep in mind this: criticism is easy, creation is hard. So, if you are someone who finds it very easy to spout off what a "bad idea" some things are, I would like you to speak up with some better ones. I'm sure Catalyst could always use more Freelancers.
Rotbart van Dainig
The real problem with Emergence is that it should have been part of System Failure, tailing a few months after the second crash. That would have worked much better:

After the reader is told that a dooms-day cult has secretly developed a method of green nuclear fission, people lynching radio brains selectively isn't really a big deal. Oh, and it would have prevented people from retconning their characters and campaings.
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 27 2007, 10:50 PM)
You're assuming anything I said was based upon the perceived power of a Technomancer.  Joe Bob Average has access to the Matrix just as much as a Technomancer does.  Hardly anything scary about that, especially if the majority of the populace is even moderately knowledgeable about it (which is hard to believe that they're not).  As opposed to, you know, being able to conjure sentient monsters out of thin air, throw lightning bolts out of their fingers, or turn innocent people out enjoying a walk in the park into mentally controlled puppets.

Most people don't have hacking software. Most people won't be able to hack you accounts or your home system even with a computer. Most people won't even know how to get the software to do it. And most people will probably be a little scared of an individual that can, you know, conjure sentient monsters inside the ubiquitous computers systems everywhere around you (and anywhere reachable by Matrix for that matter), can knock out wireless electronics and cyberware with a flick of his fingers, or hack the brain of anyone linked to the Matrix and psychotropically program them to do his bidding or possibly even download his mind into their bodies like you've heard his AI masters were able to do.

Yup, I can see where the big difference is.
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (Buster)

So if you can get passed the premise that the all-powerful media has stopped a genocide on mages, razorboys, and scriptkiddies but not on technomancers, then I would buy it

Well lets look at the timeframes... we've had scriptkiddies since the 1970's, so we've had 100 years to get used to that shit. Then there's the Cyber, which you couldlink back to even the 1980s (when paralysed men walked again because of wires in their bodies) so almost 100 years of that... plus it got good press, since the blind can see, the paralysed could walk, and the quads could get online to forum troll by controlling a mouse with their mind. All that media coverage means people have had a long time to learn what cyber can and can't do, and to romaticize it. Then there was magic. Yeah, I'll bet there were all sorts of bad things about that... oh wait, we already have the books describing events around that. There were years of hype and hystiria over all sorts of things, but people came out and were probably interviewed impartially and things got calmed down some. Plus being that magic can fit with many world/religious views, there would be a contigent of people who would help and support such effeorts as to make life easier on mages. And remember, when this was all going on, people were also far more worried about things like elves and orcs and dragons (OH MY!).. there wasn't one thing to focus on.

Technomancers are a different story. As was stated, it happens too close to the Crash 2.0. The media is against them, and its spun to the masse badly. Plus there is the straight fact that unlike things like the Bugs and Shedim, its on the big networks, not the fringe shows. There's no secrecy around this. And since most of the technos are even aware yet what al they can do with their powers, there are vast gaps that can be filled in with any rumor you'd like to place there.

I dunno though, I can't see people getting all worked up about it </sarcasm>
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner)
Most people don't have hacking software. Most people won't be able to hack you accounts or your home system even with a computer. Most people won't even know how to get the software to do it.

Most people know people can do that. Most people know the limits of what you can do on the Matrix. I mean, I'm not a hacker in real life yet I'm certainly not pissing myself at the thoughts of all those evil, malicious virii and hackers out there! OOH, SCARY! And I sure as hell don't think it takes a magician ("but not really magicians, honest!") to do that shit. Or that if, suddenly, people were able to interact with the web, all the technological limits in place instantly become useless. Just because they don't need a computer to do it, you see.

And most people will probably be a little scared of individuals that, you know, can conjure sentient monsters inside the ubiquitous computers systems everywhere around you (and anywhere reachable by Matrix for that matter), can knock out wireless electronics with a flick of his fingers, or hack the brain of anyone linked to the Matrix and psychotropically program them to do his bidding or possibly even download his mind into their bodies.

As opposed to those who can do all those things outside of the Matrix, amirite? ohplease.gif Or the existance of software that can do the same thing, and has been able to do the same thing for decades now. (See: BTLs, moodchips, personafixes, etc.)
Buster
QUOTE (Malachi)
Finally, I would like people to keep in mind this: criticism is easy, creation is hard. So, if you are someone who finds it very easy to spout off what a "bad idea" some things are, I would like you to speak up with some better ones. I'm sure Catalyst could always use more Freelancers.

I'd like to take a moment to criticize that. biggrin.gif

So you're saying that only Isaac Asimov is allowed to speak up, the rest of us should just pay our $35 and shut the hell up?

Yes we do need to speak up and risk being labeled a critic because if you buy the PDF you're SOL because they don't give you your money back if it sucks.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Malachi)

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
If anything, I'd be surprised if in a far more plausible take of the events, the majority of the public wouldn't be suspecting the Crash 2.0 was all a ploy by the megacorporations to force everyone to use their new Matrix and mass-produced Commlinks that just came out of thin air. And that the real witch hunt wouldn't be aimed at them. (And nevermind that this would have been a perfect way to write in a means of having governments regain some of their lost power base as a result.)
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 27 2007, 11:09 PM)
QUOTE (Synner)
Most people don't have hacking software. Most people won't be able to hack you accounts or your home system even with a computer. Most people won't even know how to get the software to do it.

Most people know people can do that. Most people know the limits of what you can do on the Matrix. I mean, I'm not a hacker in real life yet I'm certainly not pissing myself at the thoughts of all those evil, malicious virii and hackers out there! OOH, SCARY! And I sure as hell don't think it takes a magician ("but not really magicians, honest!") to do that shit. Or that if, suddenly, people were able to interact with the web, all the technological limits in place instantly become useless. Just because they don't need a computer to do it, you see.

So you've seen personally seen loved ones die and hundreds of thousands lose their lives and livelihoods because those evil, malicious virii and hackers out there...

You've also lived with the fact exactly how that happened is still beyond the grasp of even the best computer specialists and techs - because, you know, they couldn't do it even if they tried and they certainly couldn't stop it last time.

And you know that these people, if they even are people, are unstable and crazy enough to trigger something like that. Hell, their own powers apparently drive them insane.

And most people will probably be a little scared of individuals that, you know, can conjure sentient monsters inside the ubiquitous computers systems everywhere around you (and anywhere reachable by Matrix for that matter), can knock out wireless electronics with a flick of his fingers, or hack the brain of anyone linked to the Matrix and psychotropically program them to do his bidding or possibly even download his mind into their bodies. 

As opposed to those who can do all those things outside of the Matrix, amirite?

Nope, don't think I ever said that. The difference is that people have had 60 years to come to terms with Magic and when magic emerged things were almost as bad (though not quite as bad since the media and the corps didn't take the reigns of the situation and weren't fearful of the potential threat emerging as they are in 2070). They've also been told this isn't magic. And for all intents and purposes it isn't, a baseline technomancers is able to do things that no magician has ever been able to in all of the recorded history of thaumaturgy.

Or the existance of software that can do the same thing, and has been able to do the same thing for decades now. (See: BTLs, moodchips, personafixes, etc.)

All of which is mastered by a skilled select few and costs thousands of nuyen in hardware and software to produce - where as these technomancers can do it with their minds alone, they can do it intuitively, they might be even doing it without knowing, hell their sprites might do it for them without them even knowing its being done.

To use the X-men comparison that's been bandied around its like saying people won't be scared of individuals capable of firing beams of coherent light from their eyes because the end effect is the same as firing a big gun that anyone can buy.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 27 2007, 05:17 PM)
So you've seen personally seen loved ones die and hundreds of thousands lose their lives and livelihoods because those evil, malicious virii and hackers out there...

You've also lived with the fact exactly how that happened is still beyond the grasp of even the best computer specialists and techs - because, you know, they couldn't do it even if they tried and they certainly couldn't stop it last time.

In context of the 2070's? Yep. Happened back in the 20's, didn't it? Back when Technomancers weren't around at all, in fact! Even after 50 years, experts still don't fully know how that crazy virus got to be so superpowerful...

And you know that these people, if they even are people, are unstable and crazy enough to trigger something like that. Hell, their own powers apparently drive them insane.

As opposed to all those stable magicians and alien entities involved with the Universal Brotherhood, or who took out an entire major UCAS city, killing, torturing, experimenting on, and infecting with God knows what?
Buster
QUOTE (Synner)
Most people don't have hacking software. Most people won't be able to hack you accounts or your home system even with a computer. Most people won't even know how to get the software to do it. And most people will probably be a little scared of an individual that can, you know, conjure sentient monsters inside the ubiquitous computers systems everywhere around you (and anywhere reachable by Matrix for that matter), can knock out wireless electronics and cyberware with a flick of his fingers, or hack the brain of anyone linked to the Matrix and psychotropically program them to do his bidding or possibly even download his mind into their bodies like you've heard his AI masters were able to do.

Um, didn't you just make Funk's point? Mages CAN do all that and more. And the masses don't need to be told lies, they've actually seen mages do it on TV. And yet mages are not hunted, technomancers are.
Ancient History
Keep in mind that a large part of the public's perception of technomancers has to do with how they were exposed; people would look at Al Quaeda differently if they tried to discredit political leaders with embarrassing photos instead of terrorize a nation with coordinated mass murder.
Buster
So in the entire timeline of Shadowrun, no magician, cybersam, or hacker has ever killed lots of people? No group of magicians has ever conjured volcanos or brought plagues of demons to earth?
Naysayer
But magicians also had 60 years to show the world that they are, while still powerful and generally awesome, not ALL-powerful and also not all crazy ghost-dancers (who,at their peak, still need to commit ritual suicide by the hundreds to blow up one or two volcanos), while TMs are this years new big scary thing and for all you know, one of these ... things might just be able to blow up a power plant just by thinking hard at it. IN FACT, HE MIGHT BE DOING IT RIGHT NOW! Plotting the downfall of all you hold dear! OH NOES! Technomancers are the Al Quaida of the 2070's.

EDIT: while i was typing away with my big sluggish fingers, AH made the exact same comparison... scary...

Let's mob up and burn something!
Buster
But mages CAN blow up a power plant just by thinking hard at it. People don't need to be lied to about it, they've seen it on TV.
Synner
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 27 2007, 11:20 PM)

Um, didn't you just make Funk's point? Mages CAN do all that and more. And the masses don't need to be told lies, they've actually seen mages do it on TV. And yet mages are not hunted, technomancers are.

No, because as I've pointed out technomancers are doing similar things to what mages can accomplish and things that cannot be explained by magic, that in fact are completely impossible to do with magic, and that when witnessed by a magician will be certified as not being magic by any accepted definition of the term in 2070.

And to repeate myself - if mages were depicted as:
... then they would be hunted too.

Note mages were indeed hunted, strung up and killed, for a lot less way back in the day and they didn't have the media and a significant portion of the corporations actively working against them.

That society has come to understand magic better and live with it doesn't mean it is accepted and not viewed with suspicion. However, society has had 60 years to learn that magic has limits and consequences, that there are countermeasures and responses available to the powers that be, and that ultimately magic is understandable. Technomancers benefit from none of that. They are clearly not mages, their abilities drive them nuts, and no one knows what their true potential is and what it takes to unlock it (to a possibly world devastating effect that 60 years of information tells us no magician could hope reproduce).

As Ancient has mentioned the manner in which technomancers emerged, the specific events and the manner they were already being portrayed in the media, further fans the flames of doubt and fear.
knasser

EDIT: n/m. I've been through this once already and have no wish to appear as though I have a vendetta against this book. It's Shadowrun 4th Edition and available as a PDF. People might as well just buy it and see if they like it.
Buster
QUOTE (Synner)

No, because as I've pointed out technomancers are doing similar things to what mages can accomplish and things that cannot be explained by magic, that in fact are completely impossible to do with magic, and that when witnessed by a magician will be certified as not being magic by any accepted definition of the term in 2070.

And to repeate myself - if mages were depicted as:

... then they would be hunted too.

Note mages were indeed hunted, strung up and killed, for a lot less way back in the day and they didn't have the media and a significant portion of the corporations actively working against them.

That society has come to understand magic better and live with it doesn't mean it is accepted and not viewed with suspicion. However, society has had 60 years to learn that magic has limits and consequences, that there are countermeasures and responses available to the powers that be, and that ultimately magic is understandable. Technomancers benefit from none of that. They are clearly not mages, their abilities drive them nuts, and no one knows what their true potential is and what it takes to unlock it (to a possibly world devastating effect that 60 years of information tells us no magician could hope reproduce).

As Ancient has mentioned the manner in which technomancers emerged, the specific events and the manner they were already being portrayed in the media, further fans the flames of doubt and fear.

Who in the world would care if a terrorist was using magic, "virtuakinetics", nanites, bioweapons, nukes, or opening the Arc of the Covenant? Mages can create, have created, and have the potential to once again create disasters on a huge scale. Just like technomancers. And unlike technomancers, no one has to lie to them about it, they've seen mages do it on TV. And yet technomancers are hunted and mages aren't.

It's like Emergence exists in its own universe where everyone has forgotten about ghost dances, insect spirit invasions, and every act of terrorism a mage, adept, gun bunny, or scriptkiddie has perpetrated on the world.
knasser
One last thing before I jack out for the night... I've just opened up Emergence for the first time in ages and can't find a quick answer to this. I can't remember why the media is so dedicated to whipping up fear and hatred of technomancers? Anyone?
Naysayer
QUOTE (Buster)
But mages CAN blow up a power plant just by thinking hard at it.  People don't need to be lied to about it, they've seen it on TV.

Except in Karl Kombatmage sims maybe, when was the last time in SR history that something bigger than say, a car, was openly and publicly blown up by magic? (The late President Dunkelzahn nonwithstanding, as he was a dragon, and those are wierd anyway and if you elect a lizard thensomething funky is just bound to happen).
For all I know, that would be around the tme of the GGD.
Since then, I'd estimate that far more people have been healed of cancer and gutshots than have been hated to death by magic.
AND don't forget that it's still stated that the general population still distrusts magic and magic users. They've just moved on from torch and pitchfork-style distrust to something a little more subtle.

Compare McCarthy era USA to post 9/11 USA. back then, being suspected of being a commie would get you in real bad trouble. Now, it's still kinda suspicious, but if something scary happens, it's the guy in the turban you go looking for first the for blame game.
Synner
QUOTE (knasser @ Aug 27 2007, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 27 2007, 11:25 PM)
Keep in mind that a large part of the public's perception of technomancers has to do with how they were exposed;

I recall a certain Danial Howling Coyote wiping out an entire airbourne division of the USA and burying a city with a volcano.

I'm also unclear as to why the media stokes such a hysteria in the Emergence book. It seems counterproductive.

And the result was a megapower brought to its knees and forced to bargain with the Natives. At the time this was the equivalent of Emergence and the consequences were equally far reaching, however, the dangerous foe was a skulking Indian shaman bent on avenging his people and hiding somewhere in the North American hinterland - not your next door neighbor or the guy in the next cubicle who are slowly being driven insane by AIPS.

I'm also unclear as to why the media stokes such a hysteria in the Emergence book. It seems counterproductive.

Chapter's 2 and 3 Game Info covers most of it.

The media is at the service of the megacorporations and (most of) the corporations want technomancers either under their control or eliminated as a threat (they don't want another Pax emerging). Even Evo and Horizon are initially undecided and go with the flow.

The best way to accomplish this, given that technomancers can be anyone anywhere and are at large, is to scare them into submission and give them nowhere to hide. If at the same time the megacorps can scare governments and the masses into sanctioning their pogroms, they'll be able to get exactly what they want - not genocide, but experimentation camps and government sanctioned labs working on figuring out what makes technomancers tick and how to reproduce those abilities (or failing that counter or detroying them). The media campaign both backs technomancers into a corner and influences lawmakers and the public to support the corp agendas - and if it costs a few lives, it's just a few less wild cards out there.
Synner
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 27 2007, 11:45 PM)
It's like Emergence exists in its own universe where everyone has forgotten about ghost dances, insect spirit invasions, and every act of terrorism a mage, adept, gun bunny, or scriptkiddie has perpetrated on the world.

Actually if you reread SR3 material following Bug City and the Shedim emergence you will realize that similar phenomenons and witch hunts did happen in the 50's - and the worldwide bug hunts that followed Chicago were just as impressive as the witchhunts in Emergence. In fact backlashes of this sort were why Tehran was razed.

The issue is simple. Technomancers are linked, correctly or not, to the single most traumatic event in recent memory and they roam freely and hidden amongst the population. If left unchecked their powers might, just might, potentially wreck havoc on an a scale unimaginable for any terrorist, mage, adept, script or gunbunny could ever hope to achieve.

The scale and scope of the damage of the first and second Crash far outstrips anything the Bugs have and unlike any other disaster or threat that's menaced the Sixth World this one touched almost everyone the world over.

Who is to say that the crazed schizophrenic mind of just one technomancer couldn't spawn that degree of devastation again - possibly even unwittingly? Events in Hong Kong seem like evidence that they are able to do just that...
Prime Mover
Much like real life rational has nothing to do with the heart of the matter.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.

"What people don't understand they fear and what people fear they try to destory."

Human nature really 1 in 4 people really are just sheep waiting for the nightly news (trid,matrix blog) to tell them what to think, what is the "real truth".
Ancient History
QUOTE (knasser)
One last thing before I jack out for the night... I've just opened up Emergence for the first time in ages and can't find a quick answer to this. I can't remember why the media is so dedicated to whipping up fear and hatred of technomancers? Anyone?

Ratings. That, and it might suit the purposes of the megas that own the news outlets to report it in this fashion.
Ol' Scratch
Yes. Because the one thing you want to encourage the entire world to switch to your new Matrix protocols and buy your new commlinks (that just HAPPENED to have been mass produced, distributed, and ready to go for this entire fiasco) is to instill trust in both them and the new network in exactly that fashion.
Malachi
Well it seems Dr. F didn't like Technomancers from the start, so it's obvious that he wouldn't like a plot book about them.
Ancient History
Give the Doc the benefit of the doubt, it's a fair point. However, at the time when the events of Emergence occur the wireless world is practically integral to day-to-day living. Billions of people literally could not live without the Matrix, there would be no money, no food, no power, no government, no GridLink, no trideo. You might get a few people that decide to go off somewhere without the Matrix and "live on nuts and berries and commune with what's left of bloody Nature," but they're the wild fringe. The rest of the world will go through varying periods of mass hysteria and then come to grips with things - one way or another.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Malachi)
Well it seems Dr. F didn't like Technomancers from the start, so it's obvious that he wouldn't like a plot book about them.

I like Technomancers just fine. What I don't like is how they're handling them, and what I really don't like is how they handled them in the past ("kids who burn-out at puberty! Wewt! What a great idea!").
Big D
Note that if the GGD had happened in 2011, right after VITAS and before the Awakening (where there were plenty of scares, but also governments claiming to have things under control, Dunk on TV telling people not to panic, etc.), and the GGD had been portrayed as being the result of *anybody* who Awakened... the results would have been more alike.

Instead, people had 5 years to get used to the idea that magic was around, and lots of people dreamed of magic while they were children, so it had a decent shot at developing a positive connotation before the GGD happened.
Buster
QUOTE (Big D)
Instead, people had 5 years to get used to the idea that magic was around, and lots of people dreamed of magic while they were children, so it had a decent shot at developing a positive connotation before the GGD happened.

When I was a kid, I was the one who always had to change the channel on the TV, so I grew up wishing I could change the channel without having to get up off the couch. Then they invented the remote control. My childhood fantasy has been fulfilled. Harry Potter's got nothing on me.
Zhan Shi
As far as actually playing Emergence goes, the main options would be:

a TM trying to avoid the dragnet

a runner helping/rescuing TMs

working for the one or two remaining independent (mostly) news outlets to discover the truth

or, if you're really sick, rounding up TMs to deliver them for vivisection
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012