Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergence Review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mfb
QUOTE (JesterX)
I can't wait to see what happened to him ^_^

he shows up in Emergence (Dr. Shalberham or something), and his work shows up in Augmentation (cyborgs, biodrones).

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Any fiction writer serves the story ahead of realism.

that's only true until the lack of realism begins intruding on the readers' ability to enjoy the story. which is one of the complaints here.
TW
QUOTE (JesterX)
Who else worked on it?

*Now I have to put some money aside so that my wife won't blame me for purshasing yet another SR sourcebook*

Have a look at this official Emergence preview, even while a few sections were blacked out for spoiler reasons, this should give you some more information, including the list of authors and contributors (read: the ones to blame).
knasser
QUOTE (Buster)
I mean, the premise of The Matrix was ridiculous too (robots have fusion reactors and geothermal energy but really need humans instead as power sources), but it worked because we were already sucked into the movie...

Ha! Not when we went to see it. The whole group I was with started going "What? Are they joking?" to each other. And I know from talking afterwards that two of us were actually thinking it was deliberate and that Morpheus was setting up some trick or something. It's a rare Keanu Reeves film where the plot is less convincing than his acting.
edrift101
I finally got my hands on a physical copy of the book and it's really interesting. I love the way it was written and I'll be using all of the information in my campaign (hopefully, my players haven't read the book...).

That said, I do think that the cover stock seems cheap and flimsy compared to SR previous books.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (mfb)
that's only true until the lack of realism begins intruding on the readers' ability to enjoy the story. which is one of the complaints here.

I realize that, but how much of that is personal taste and how much of that is really a flaw with the work?

I dislike romantic comedies and their sappy melodrama impacts my ability to enjoy watching them, but that doesn't mean a particular romantic comedy is a flawed work. It may be flawed for other reasons, but my personal tastes aren't one of them.
knasser
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
I dislike romantic comedies and their sappy melodrama impacts my ability to enjoy watching them, but that doesn't mean a particular romantic comedy is a flawed work. It may be flawed for other reasons, but my personal tastes aren't one of them.

And I always had you down as such a big Julia Roberts fan, DE. biggrin.gif
Buster
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 28 2007, 10:40 AM)

I realize that, but how much of that is personal taste and how much of that is really a flaw with the work?

But doesn't that come down to knowing (or rather choosing) your audience?
Dashifen
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 28 2007, 03:21 PM)
I mean, the premise of The Matrix was ridiculous too (robots have fusion reactors and geothermal energy but really need humans instead as power sources), but it worked because we were already sucked into the movie...

Ha! Not when we went to see it. The whole group I was with started going "What? Are they joking?" to each other. And I know from talking afterwards that two of us were actually thinking it was deliberate and that Morpheus was setting up some trick or something. It's a rare Keanu Reeves film where the plot is less convincing than his acting.

I thought it was believable. Then again, I liked the Core, too smile.gif
BishopMcQ
I read Emergence cover to cover on my flight home from GenCon. Overall, I enjoyed the writing and the structure of the chapters.

Were there moments when I stopped and asked myself why the developers turned right when I thought we should all go left? Yes. Taking the image as a whole, especially when I start building some of the connections between previous books and a few conspiracy theories builds a richer and deeper model than just tearing apart one small piece of the world.

As has been said above, humanity can be driven by fear and terror to do things that are completely irrational. In the Longue Duree, history gets revised, atrocities are downplayed to allow us to move on, and we find a newer better reason to hate and kill each other.

For me Emergence and the events within will flavor the campaign, TMs who are very open about their specialness will be looked upon with the gamut of reactions from hate-mongering to skepticism to respect. Eventually the tide will turn, and we'll find a new fad to latch onto once the TMs acclimate. The witchhunts will become another Night of Rage, something people feel bad about and promise that they will never repeat, but it doesn't change the future.

As far as, everyone in the world hating TMs, remember that we are shadowrunners. By being outside the system, and having seen the rose-colored lenses for what they are, we examine how much of the newsfeeds we accept as fact. I'd imagine that the shadow community is probably as equally divided as Jackpoint. It takes all types, but most of us aren't the sheep to be driven by the terror...or at least not this time around. Maybe next time, our personal buttons will get pushed.
Mal-2
I finally picked up a hardcopy of Emergence at Gencon and finished reading it last week. I liked it a lot. I found the populace-at-large's reactions to the revalations to be in line with Shadowrun history, if not with reality.

Shadowrun's civilian population has always reacted to scary new things by going crazy. There's a huge laundry list, but just for starters: VITAS, UGE, the Awakening, the emergence of dragons, the schism of the US, Goblinization, VITAS 2, the Crash, the Night of Rage, bug spirits, the arcology shutdown, Crash 2.0, and now technomancers and AIs.

I thought the sequence of events in the book made sense in that context, and looked like a lot of fun to either play or run a game in. It is too bad that this book didn't come out sooner, as it would have given a neat backdrop for the first year or two of SR4 games.
Zhan Shi
Jester: Yes, he's in Emergence. Halberstam (or however you spell it) was working for a corp (Neonet? I forget exactly). I think it was a "student" of his who was running that nasty clinic in hong kong, and was killed in the TM breakout. There's a whole plot thread about him trying to cover the tracks. But read the book; it's been awhile, and my memory of the specifics may be faulty.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Buster)

It does, yes. When you do drift away from realism for the benefit of the story, you want to make sure you're doing so in a way consistent with the setting.

The idea of technomancers in general skirts that line for me, personally. But nothing specific to Emergence seems outlandish for the setting, to me.
BishopMcQ
Halberstam's truth, spoilered for those who don't want to know...

[ Spoiler ]
Synner
I'll get to replying to other posts later tonight...
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 28 2007, 05:15 PM)

Since you bring up "knowing your audience", and given that the same naysayers seem to be as vocal on this thread as the previous one, I thought I might as well pimp my book and put those reviews into perspective by quoting some the numerous positive opinions of Emergence as written:
QUOTE (Mal-2)
I finally picked up a hardcopy of Emergence at Gencon and finished reading it last week. I liked it a lot.

QUOTE (BishopMQ)
I read Emergence cover to cover on my flight home from GenCon. Overall, I enjoyed the writing and the structure of the chapters.

QUOTE (edrift101)
I finally got my hands on a physical copy of the book and it's really interesting. I love the way it was written and I'll be using all of the information in my campaign (hopefully, my players haven't read the book...).

QUOTE (Zhan-Shi)
Having said that, the book itself was an interesting read, and gave many good ideas for adventure hooks.

QUOTE (Malachai)
I think the fear and panic from Technomancers is very in-keeping with establish SR history.

QUOTE (Bibliophile20 (original review thread))
Personally, I happened to like it a great deal, but, again, that's a matter of personal taste.

QUOTE (Dashifen (original review thread))
I have to say that I enjoyed reading it thouroughly. I remember reading System Failure in one sitting and I did the same with Emergence. I was truly entertained and, at times, made uneasy by the actions in the story.

QUOTE (Samantha (original review thread))
Joe Shmoe is scared. If you look at one of the posters on Jackpoint (Not naming names, start with a C, ends with lockwork), you can see just what they fear. They fear something that might be related to the Crash, maybe even caused it. Just like the witchhunts of old, people are afraid of what they can't understand, and therefore much BURN IT! BURN IT TO HELL!

QUOTE (Sterling (original review thread))
My review of Emergence is glowingly positive. They present a fictional world event that somewhat mirrors our current real life situation. After some very world-shaking incidents, we have to realize that some members of a group do not necessarily represent that entire group. And the fiction portion of it is a fantastically good read.

QUOTE (Arab One (original review thread))
When I pick up a book like Emergence, I do so for two reasons.
1) To be entertained. This it succeeded at. As a book to read and become imersed in the story, it is well written.
2) To use in my game.For me it succeded at this.
Dizzman
Even though I posted on my experience earlier - I will add that the book is very well written and I did like the format (i.e. most of what I've read is set as a conversation on ShadowSea).
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Synner)
Since you bring up "knowing your audience", and given that the same naysayers seem to be as vocal on this thread as the previous one, I thought I might as well pimp my book and put those reviews into perspective by quoting some the numerous positive opinions of Emergence as written:

Heh. Even I stated that I liked Emergence better than System Failure.
knasser
I think with all this copy and pasting, we might as well just link to the original thread.

The first Emergence review was this.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Synner)
As long as technomancy isn't played up in the campaign - and it shouldn't be since SR4 describes it as exceedingly rare

..rare like magic? People playing TMs openly to the team?

No, SR4 especifically says technomantic expression is rarer than magic (Emergence says its much rarer but doesn't go into figures either).

Hehe, there's that word again: "especifically". I love it. smile.gif
Okay, I'm really not trying to be an ass here, but I'm searching SR4 and I can't find where it especifically says how rare they are; in comparison to magic or otherwise. Can I get a page ref? All I can find is page 232 which talks about how they're the next generation of Otaku, and that rumors and reports have cohered and that there is no doubt that there was a new generation of Otaku.
QUOTE (SR4 pg 232)
It took several years for the new rumors and reports to cohere, but undoubtedly something was different. A new generation of otaku had been born

It also talks about how scientists and magicians are baffled as to how their abilities work.
I can't find anything about how rare they are, and that section seems to be saying that people already know about them.
Buster
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 28 2007, 02:10 PM)

Ah, I noticed that a lot of them mentioned System Failure. I never read anything from SR3 and I don't even know what System Failure is. That's probably the source of my confusion because Emergence seems to be assuming that the audience experienced System Failure. I started in SR4 and don't know anything about that stuff (I read SR2 decades ago). Emergence almost seems like an SR3 book set a few years before SR4 because (as moon hawk mentioned) in the SR4 core book everyone seems to know what a technomancer is and there's no mention of them being hated or blamed for anything. In fact, the entire Crash seems to have blown over by SR4.

Maybe if the Crash had occurred in Emergence and technomancers were introduced there instead of the core book, and everyone knew it was AI-engineered technomancers that caused the Crash, it all would have made more sense. Something to keep in mind for SR5 I guess.
Ancient History
That made very little sense. Was there any part of the book you did like?
Buster
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Aug 28 2007, 04:39 PM)

That was helpful. Thanks for the vague pot shot. I thought you were above that kind of thing.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ancient History)
That made very little sense.

In fact, it is amusing that even somebody who did not read System Failure is suggesting that Emergence should have merged/doublefeatured with it...
Fortune
System Failure is basically the Crash 2.0 book. While it was released under SR3, it should really be considered an SR4 release.
Fortune
I know what I have to say is important, but I didn't think it was worth repeating this soon.
Ancient History
Dude, read your last sentence and tell me you were going for a logical train of thought. Now I know you've been down about Emergence, and you know people disagree with you and you get flak for that, so all I'm asking is: was there any of it you did like? Hell, when I read a book, even a book I don't enjoy, I can still appreciate characters that were particularly well done, or neat twists of phrase, or a decent description. It tends to add a bit to your overall review if you can give the good with the bad.
Buster
Maybe you should say something nice about me first? biggrin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Ancient History)

It's what I have come to call with my group "The President Was A What?" syndrome,

There's a huge backstory to the Shadowrun seting and it's richer for it. But there's very little of this collected and available for players new to Shadowrun 4th Edition. Things like the last crash are massive events that are incredibly easy for a new GM to not pick up on, let alone the players. Bug spirits, native american nations, AI's and revolutions. What Buster is saying, and quite understandably I think, is that for a new group that has never played the previous editions, the last crash is a minor reference in chapter one and wont have much impact for them or lead them to see the events of Emergence as arising naturally without a lot of GM shoe-horning. It's something I am very concious of with a group of new to Shadowrun players.

There's a related problem I call "Can I buy a Unicorn" syndrome, which is where, without all the careful and slow development that led up to each piece of whackiness, players simply take all the crazy elements of the setting such as Dragon Presidents and marauding half ant people and go straight into High Fantasy mode. Hence 'Can I buy a Unicorn?' It requires a GM awareness of the problem to reign it in, but it can also affect GMs.

At any rate, Buster has a fair point in saying that the background that is critical to Emergence making any sense, really needs to have more of a presence in the same edition in which it takes place. That which took place in 3rd edition is remote to many of us.

-K.
Ancient History
You could buy a unicorn, but it would have to be from a poacher. Those things are a protected endangered species, y'know.

I don't think you need to know every detail about what went down during the Crash 2.0 to appreciate any of the material in Emergence, however.
knasser
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Dude, read your last sentence and tell me you were going for a logical train of thought. Now I know you've been down about Emergence, and you know people disagree with you and you get flak for that, so all I'm asking is: was there any of it you did like? Hell, when I read a book, even a book I don't enjoy, I can still appreciate characters that were particularly well done, or neat twists of phrase, or a decent description. It tends to add a bit to your overall review if you can give the good with the bad.

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I've also been critical of Emergence here. It is up to the usual 4th edition quality in presentation and writing. The prose chapter introductions are exceptional. For pieces of artwork, I also think the full piece on page 7 is excellent. The book is not what I want but it is fine at what it wants to be, i.e. 100 pages of Shadowtalk with adventure frameworks placed throughout. The PDF is not expensive. I would have bought it whatever it was with the SR4 logo on the front.

-K.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I don't think you need to know every detail about what went down during the Crash 2.0 to appreciate any of the material in Emergence, however.

But you need to understand the second Crash... which the history section of SR4 doesn't lead to. It provides details (partly unnecessary), but leaves out the secondary effects of the breakdown in infrastructure... and thus, the Bigger Picture.

As far as the main book is concerned, it was just 'Rinse & Reboot'.
darthmord
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Ancient History)

But you need to understand the second Crash... which the history section of SR4 doesn't lead to. It provides details (partly unnecessary), but leaves out the secondary effects of the breakdown in infrastructure... and thus, the Bigger Picture.

As far as the main book is concerned, it was just 'Rinse & Reboot'.

That sums up most of my complaints behind Emergence and how it ties into SR4. The BBB treats Crash 2.0 as a casual affair. Emergence made a much bigger deal of it.

Toss that into the mix of differing release dates and you get a main rule book which white washes a significant & major event followed by a book that rightfully should have come out BEFORE the main rule book or at least had the BBB give the Crash 2.0 a much more important slant.

Did I like the work put into Emergence? Yes. I liked the shadow-chatter. I liked how Netcat took the tongue of Clockwork. But as a book fitting into the SR4 setting... it's not so good. It's not a good fit at all, IMO.
Whipstitch
Yeah, the BBB was kind of like "Deus and some AI other got in a... you know what? Screw it. The important thing is we gotz teh wireless now!" Makes it a little hard to emphasize the drama and major changes that really took place in the Crash 2.0 to new players without making them feel like they're getting beaten over the head with utterly random bullshit. Frankly, I feel like they really ought to be pimping System Failure right alongside all the SR4 content.
Cain
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 27 2007, 03:04 PM)

Fear and suspicion is not the same as a full blown witch hunt holocaust. Mages, scriptkiddie hackers, and cybersams are all subject to fear and suspicion, not genocide. Emergence seems to be in it's own universe where mages, cybersams, and hackers don't exist.

Let me clarify, if cybersams, hackers and mages were depicted as:

• directly linked to the force behind the single most catastrophic event in recent history the cause of hundreds of thousands of deaths worldwide,
  • defined as crazy, schizoid nutjobs wielding uncontrollable powers that actually contribute to make them more unstable,
  • described as able to spontaneously generate computer code, speak to Matrix dwelling entities unknown to anyone else, and potentially create another Crash virus,
  • inexplicably being able to do with their minds, what it costs an mundane human thousands of dollars and considerable skill to replicate,
  • allegedly linked to alien artificial intelligences that hide in the Matrix.
... by every major corp owned media outlet on Earth then they'd suffer a witch hunt too.

Late to the party on this one, sorry.

Synner, most of what you suggest can also be attributed to Arabic males after 9/11. We don't know what terrorists can do, we don't know where they'll strike; and unlike technomancers, they really are out to get us.

So, where's the pogroms and rampant genocide of Arabic men? What, not even close to happening? Gee Whiz, go figure. Even when associated with the most traumatic event in recent history, identified as turban-wearing nutjobs out to eat your children, described as able to suicide-bomb anywhere and everywhere (and *has* hit us in one of the most secure installations in the country), allegedly linked to sinister religious practices... There *STILL* isn't a genocide campaign against them.

Immediately after 9/11, there wasn't a single report of a Mosque being defaced in the Pacific Northwest. I don't think there was more than a few, if any, across the whole country.

The age of bigotry is long gone; humanity as a whole has moved on. Even after major traumas like 9/11, we still don't go on shouting slogans of hatred and fear. What kind of person revels in tales of genocide and hatred?

As for the rest of the book: It isn't an adventure book, like Brainscan. It isn't even a campaign book, like Year of the Comet or Mob War! Both those books carried at least a few new rules, a few new things for shadowrunners to actually do. All Emergence amounts to is pure prejudicicial fluff. My recommendation is to take a pass on this book, unless you really want a hideously unbelieveable story about the new Otaku.
Synner
Not that the rest is unexpected but...

QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 29 2007, 12:53 AM)
The age of bigotry is long gone; humanity as a whole has moved on.  Even after major traumas like 9/11, we still don't go on shouting slogans of haterd and fear.

<Choke>... Wow. Just wow. That's a first. Me speechless. You seriously believe that I take it?
kzt
QUOTE (Buster)

Ah, I noticed that a lot of them mentioned System Failure. I never read anything from SR3 and I don't even know what System Failure is. That's probably the source of my confusion because Emergence seems to be assuming that the audience experienced System Failure. I started in SR4 and don't know anything about that stuff (I read SR2 decades ago).

Wow, that must be hard. A lot of the SR4 rules don't seem to me to make any sense unless you know how SR3 works and can assume that it works the same. People in my group assume Rob only playtests with fanatic fans who know the books forward and backwards and just don't notice the vast gaping holes in the rules because they assumed it just worked like SR3 unless it clearly said otherwise.

I'd really like if people doing new versions of games would playtest them with people who don't already think they understand the game inside and out and see what they make of the rules without someone explaining how it worked "back in my day."
kzt
QUOTE (Synner)

<Choke>... Wow. Just wow. That's a first. Me speechless. You seriously believe that I take it?

So you have evidence to refute it? Please provide a date and place and number of people killed and why.
Ancient History
I think you misunderstand, Syn was (correctly) pointing out that people still have gut-level responses of hatred and fear. Hell, look at the "War on Terror."
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 28 2007, 02:36 PM)

Ah, I noticed that a lot of them mentioned System Failure.  I never read anything from SR3 and I don't even know what System Failure is.  That's probably the source of my confusion because Emergence seems to be assuming that the audience experienced System Failure.  I started in SR4 and don't know anything about that stuff (I read SR2 decades ago).

Wow, that must be hard. A lot of the SR4 rules don't seem to me to make any sense unless you know how SR3 works and can assume that it works the same. People in my group assume Rob only playtests with fanatic fans who know the books forward and backwards and just don't notice the vast gaping holes in the rules because they assumed it just worked like SR3 unless it clearly said otherwise.

I'd really like if people doing new versions of games would playtest them with people who don't already think they understand the game inside and out and see what they make of the rules without someone explaining how it worked "back in my day."

I think the word you were grasping at was setting, or fiction; not rules. It was a plot book, not a rule book. And yeah, there is quite a bit that is more understandable the further back you've read, but it is strogly implied as to what happened.. and in some cases, that's good enough as it show the kind of questions that the world not in tune with what really happened in the crash would be asking.
Synner
QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 29 2007, 01:27 AM)
QUOTE (Synner @ Aug 28 2007, 06:00 PM)

So you have evidence to refute it? Please provide a date and place and number of people killed and why.

First, I suggest you reread what I quoted and my reply. So that there is no confusion, here it is again:
QUOTE (Cain)
The age of bigotry is long gone; humanity as a whole has moved on.  Even after major traumas like 9/11, we still don't go on shouting slogans of haterd and fear.

Keep in mind that's a pretty far-reaching statement Cain is making, and that neither he nor I mentioned deaths.

After you've done that, feel free to tell me where you would like me to start, if there's a specific timeframe limitation (say since 9/11 or since the 1960s or whatever), and whether or not you want to limit the list to people "shouting slogans of haterd and fear," "bigotry"-spawned incidents, or actual bloodshed and deaths.

Just to give you food for thought, I could just provide this link, or this one, or maybe this. These are only recent stuff, you could also look at this for the bit about 2005 anti-Muslim hate crimes (which do not include "racial or workplace discrimination," another beast altogether under US law). Also note these were the hate crimes reported to CAIR (though I find the double pipe bombing of the Cincinatti area mosque quite illuminating). According to Associated Press, there were over 200 incidents of anti-Islamic violence, including 8 cases of arson against mosques in the US alone last year. (Also keep in mind I'm not even trying hard here and I'm sticking to anti-Muslim bigotry and hate crimes to keep things simple, if you want to open the field to anti--Hispanic and anti-Black incidents, I'm up for that too... )

Just off the stuff on my computer right now I can get post-9/11 figures for ethnic/racial/class motivated violence and protests (conveniently for me bigotry, class and racial tensions are the topic of a recent UN World Development Report on minorities and integration) in New Orleans, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Toronto, London, Madrid, Mumbai, Copenhagen, Roterdam, Shansi, Luanda, Karachi, Agra, Moscow, Paris, Marseille, Tel Aviv, Beirute, Istanbul... note I'm even leaving out the really easy ones like Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan...

And those are for the real world, not for Shadowrun's dystopic universe where you had food riots in New York at the turn of the century, where the red man brought the great superpower of the West to its knees, where people had their "freak children" killed, where the goblinized were put in camps and put to the torch in the Night of Rage, where magicians and metas were strung up in some countries (and still are), where White supremacist groups carry terror campaigns against the NAN, where an entire nation quarantined their children on an island for decades, where Human Nation sponsors eugenics in the guise of birth control programs...

So, right, things are only going to be better, more tolerant and humane in the Sixth World. Sure.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 28 2007, 07:53 PM)
The age of bigotry is long gone; humanity as a whole has moved on.  Even after major traumas like 9/11, we still don't go on shouting slogans of hatred and fear.  What kind of person revels in tales of genocide and hatred?

I'm not sure I'd agree with you - I think better educated people with better living conditions etc are less likely to hold irrational fears or biases.

However, education and conditions in shadow run has gone backwards, creating significant gaps between rich and poor, and huge disenfranchised segments of the population.

Disenfranchised people in the world have all sorts of beliefs that I will not comment on the validity of. Examples include: using condoms causes aids, or that evolution is a conspiracy foisted on their religion by the west to discredit key religious figures because Darwin was the son of a pastor. Poor disenfranchised with limited access to education have rioted in the street in paris! All the social factors that produced that riot exist in shadowrun, except multiplied 10 fold.

Lots of people are still out there shouting slogans of hatred and fear, and in an environment with lots of reasons to fear and less actual knowledge being possessed by large under classes of people, I don't think the situation would be better than today.
Whipstitch
Way I figure it, the general shadowrun population can be roughly divided into two demographic groups; ignorant, desperate people, and contented ignorant people living in their very own private Ivory Towers.

[EDIT]
Anyway, you'll never convince me that the age of bigotry is over. Prejudice is simply too pervasive and elemental for that; it works in a million little ways. Never forget that the mind is limited to what it has experienced; the second you introduce two people, the assumptions begin full throttle, and color and creed is going to continue to be a part of that. For example, my half-sister and I are both part hispanic, and I can tell you it makes for some colorful if somewhat painful encounters. My sister gets it the worst; she's darker than I am and plenty of people make wildly offbase assumptions about what her ethnicity is. At various points in her life she's been threatened and called racial slurs for being Indian, Native American, Mexican, and after 9-11, Arabian. My own experiences are quite different; I have my father's green eyes so I have to tan a bit before people can tell I'm not quite all 100% white. I get to hear all sorts of wonderfully offensive commentary about hispanics and in some cases my own family members because people don't pick up on my heritage. Honestly, it's enough to make me thankful I'm not black or gay; I don't suffer fools gladly and can hardly even put up with the benign, indirect slights. If I had to put up with half the crap I've seen a black coworker shrug off before, I think I would probably have killed someone by now. I've admittedly only had to put up with penny ante bullshit bigotry; it's mostly benign, and I still get pretty pissed off. I can't imagine what it's like in areas where people struggle daily to survive and live under the shadow of immense economic, political, military and religious conflicts.
Big D
Getting off of the subject of RL, which is far to dangerous and messy to fiddle with on a topic like this, look at what Joe Metahuman has lived through or read in history books by 2070. From the GGD to the Night of Rage, the bombing of the Sears Tower to the occasional Humanis firebombing, hatred and fear have been part of the setting. That's deliberate--it's *supposed* to be dystopian, it's cyberpunk-with-magic!

That said, yes, for newbies who aren't aware of the history of the setting, the chapter-long overview is like reading a modern history book's chapter on the Cold War; it's enough to tell you the facts, but there's far too much information to put in a single chapter to convey the magnitude of it all, or how people felt about it at different points in time.

That's where things like this site and the wikis come in handy. They provide context and emotion that simply cannot have sufficient pages devoted to them and still cram in all of the new rules, events, and story.
Particle_Beam
The unfortunate thing is, newcomers won't necessarily read the shadowrun-wikis and this site.
Cain
You fouind over 200 Anti-Muslim hate crimes? Funny, the FBI found over 9000 against everyone else

200 out of almost 10,000. Wow, that's a major set of pogroms and genocide campaigns right there. sarcastic.gif

The new otaku aren't an organized force out to get everyone, rape them, and eat the ensuing babies. And that much is common knowledge. They might be Boo-Scary and creepy, but that's not nearly the level of hatred that causes genocide.

[Edit]Whipstich, you're not the only minority on these boards. Back in the day, like the late 60's, that was *real* prejudice. The occasional slur nowadays is passing ignorance. Compared to what it was within our lifetimes, the age of bigotry is almost eradicated.
kzt
For example, the reason why Cook County spent insane oodles of money building a new Cook County Hospital next to the new underutilized UIC Circle hospital was that in the 50-60s, Cook County was the only hospital in Chicago that would treat black people. If you were black and got severely injured and went to any other hospital in Chicago the odds were pretty darn good that you would be ignored until you died. At County they would treat you like you were a human being.

Once upon a time things really were bad. Like the Tulsa Race riot of 1921, in which some 300 people were killed, 35 city blocks were destroyed and about 10,000 people left homeless. I'm sorry, but having you feelings hurt by bad words just doesn't compare to having your town burned to the ground by rioters supported by the national guard.
Buster
Ok I just re-read the entire convoluted history in SR4 and believe me it was quite a chore.

It specifically says that Novatech was blamed for the last Crash!

Not technomancers, not even the Winternight shamans. In fact, I searched the entire SR4 book and there is not one place that says that technomancers are even looked at funny, let alone hated and feared to the point of triggering riots and genocide.

I'll stand on my original assertion: Emergence is great as a stand alone book or an otherwise alternate universe, but it isn't based on SR4 core. It would have been a good introduction to technomancers if they weren't already in the SR4 core book or if the Crash had just happened yesterday instead of years and years ago. It might even be a good SR3 book, I don't know I've never read SR3, but it isn't SR4.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 28 2007, 11:50 PM)
It specifically says that Novatech was blamed for the last Crash! 

How is that ? I see one reference where it specifically says

QUOTE (BBB pg 34 - Neonet and the WMI)
The only problem was that in the minds of many who were aware of what happened that day of the second Crash, Novatech's name was mud.

Unless you're looking somewhere I'm not, I don't see any implication that the general public blamed them for the crash. And "Name was mud" is a lot different from "caused the Crash".
Buster
Tell me where it says that technomancers are even looked at funny, let alone blamed for the crash.
fistandantilus4.0
Didn't say that they were. My understanding was that it went mostly unexplained. It happened, with no convenient scape goat or explanation. Which was why everyone flipped over technomancers. Well, one of the reasons. If you need quotes I can reread Emergance, but I'm not arguing that people blamed technos. I'm saying they didn't blame Novatech.
Buster
Tell me where SR4 says that anyone other than Novatech is blamed for the crash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012