Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marque and Reprisal OOC Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Grapple guns are cheap too, and then everyone can climb up their own rope.

Alright.

Litany will look into buying a grapple gun, 500 nuyen, availability 8R. And to use it is without Exotic Ranged Weapon skill is Agility - 1 test. Bound to be easy on the high seas.
Tarantula
Easier than throwing it up there.
Penta
Dire: Easy to get. Next port you can get it.smile.gif The R is a very loose sort of R - it has obvious legal applications at sea.
DireRadiant
Anyone have any other stuff to do before we move the thread along, possibly to the point where we are out looking for the Benito Juarez or making port in Havana?
Tarantula
Sounds good to me.
Narse
Yaarh, lets go search for the Juarez.
Narse
Seeing as we have made contact with the Juarez, what are we going to do now? I am referring to a plan of action. Or would everyone perfer to just wing it (shuder)? Should we do this stealthily or just run (and climb) in with guns blazing? Some combination?

I suggest that we come up with some plausible reason to approach the freighter (like maybe we are in need of assistance?) and then launch the grapples and climb up and take what we came for by force, all the while with drone covering fire. Alternatively, we could launch the drones first and have them create a distraction while we move up rapidly and then board. What do you guys think?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Redjack and I have been discussing engagement options, and our current plan is this:
Johnny, Gunner, and Franklin as a boarding party
Cuda nav, Carlos damage control, and Litany gunnery/etc on our ship.

Go in at night, get close enough for Ewar on the ship(with stormcloud to extend range),roto-drone for air support, boarding party leaves to take control over the ship. Pintle turret of our ship helps capture enemy ship shooting crew w/gel rounds. Popup turrets if needed. Once we control their ship, pull alongside, and use the crane to load cargo.

Any comments/concerns with this plan?

This was the last plan proposed, not much has been commented on for it.
Redjack
I am on IM with Penta. I have been working with the protractor to plot courses and intercepts. Assuming us on a heading of 180, we turn hard starboard to 275 and ~42 minutes to intercept.
~30 minutes to visual confirmation and ~38 minutes till the stormcloud can begin jamming there signals.
Anyone else use IM?
Narse
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
This was the last plan proposed, not much has been commented on for it.

Oops, forgot about that. Got all caught up in the moment.
Anyhow:
Damage control? All right, but how necessary will it be? Maybe Carlos should be laying down covering fire until we actually get hit? After we do neutralize resistance on the other ship's deck, why don't we all (or at least most of us) board the target? I don't see remaining on board the Thundercloud as useful in this circumstance, where as I think every gun will probably count aboard the target. Essentially this amounts to neutralizing the visible resistance and then advancing till you have contact with more enemies. I believe that this is tactically sound. Comments?
Redjack
I was originally preferring a night op as well, but we can't just shadow the ship all day.

As to Carlos coming over, I'm kinda of the same mind. We are a small crew and not every position can be filled.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Redjack)
Anyone else use IM?

I use Windows Live Messenger, van_nick at hotmail.com
DireRadiant
I had been hoping for us getting ahead, doing a sneaky little dive with the underwater gear, come up alongside as the freighter passed, clamp on, climb aboard, sneak into the hold and see if we can free a few pallets without the crew noticing, and maybe drop a few waterproofed boxes overboard during the night for us to pick up later after the freighter cruised on.

Probably a challenge to board the freighter that way. And numerous other complications. But you can always revert to plan A(ssault).
Narse
QUOTE (Redjack)
As to Carlos coming over, I'm kinda of the same mind. We are a small crew and not every position can be filled.

I wasn't just referring to Carlos, but to all the crew. I see no need to leave 1/2 our strength behind. Maybe 1 person as a sentry, but really everyone will be more involved in the game if they have an active role to play while the ship is being boarded. Now, that could be piloting drones or hacking the target vessel, or many other things, but I think that we should be aiming to maximize our use of all our metahuman resources.
Penta
I must say, I love seeing the debates - and no, I'm not using them to plan against you.smile.gif
Redjack
@All
Ok, DireRadiant and I worked this plan out in IM today. I'm happy to IM with anyone else who has ideas or work them out in OOC.

@Penta
We would like to know about access points and the range of their radar system from the plans we purchased.
Penta
They have standard marine radar - I'd say 30km range.

Access points: 4 hatches, port and starboard, fore and aft of a long external deck, which is 40' above the water line.
Narse
The plan sound good. Just one question: how are we going to get our weapons across to the Juarez without damaging them? Are we going to use the gyrojet pistols and water carbines instead? (IIRC we did get some with the Thundercloud...) If that is the case, it is unfortunate that Carlos is unfamiliar with such weapons. He would be more of an asset if there was some way he could get his AK over to the Juarez.
Oh and one more thing: Penta, does use of scuba gear require the Diving skill or could one make do with Swimming? Carlos lacks the former. Of course he could default to body for diving checks if necessary, right? (I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't have any clue how diving works. This is probably cause the BBB doesn't really go into any detail besides listing the skill.)
WearzManySkins
@Narse
See Gunner Blythe IC posting about his preparation of his non underwater weapons. You just will not be able to fire them underwater with out some issues.

You will need Diving to use SCUBA, but if we are being towed just under the surface, the task roll may not be so difficult.

FYI Sea Chests are places typically rectangular shaped and go inward abit, on a ship's/boat's hull that allow the intake of water for various ship boards systems. Typically more than one system uses a Sea Chest, like more than 3.

Some Sea Chests also discharge waters/fluids too. When divers worked on my ship's hull the Sea Chest locations and the complete turn off same were important. Now when enemy divers came to play war games, they used Intel gained from various sources so they could avoid those Sea Chests and keep the divers from being sucked in.

How are we going to get up 40' of hull to a hatch?

WMS
Redjack
QUOTE (Narse @ Nov 21 2007, 10:47 PM)
how are we going to get our weapons across to the Juarez without damaging them?
I *assume* that short exposure to sea water will not damage our weapons (as long as they are cleaned and oiled when the mission is over).

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Nov 21 2007, 11:07 PM)
How are we going to get up 40' of hull to a hatch?
This is where the plan includes one of those grapple guns. biggrin.gif

Are we ready to begin?
DireRadiant
Ready here. Ziploc freezer bags all filled and ready to go.
Penta
Are we still waiting on people, or should I bump?
WearzManySkins
Ok things may/will be at strange for me the next few days, my daughter in law is getting an induced birth of a grandson, so I be away from my computer access for large amounts of time. I will be at the hospital, spending time there.

If I can I will post, but will not have the mental focus to do it in details,

Sam
Redjack
Congratulations (if a little early). My last three children all had to be induced - our prayers for a safe and health birthing. All three of ours went very well and I hope yours does as well. wink.gif
DireRadiant
I think the baby is far more important then needing to post. Take care. Inducing is always fun, like those contractions really need something to make them even harder and more painful! But it's better then spending days in labor. My last one had to be induced, she was fine, though the after affects of the induced labor were a bit scary. After getting the drip it was a bit fast, baby arrived before any of the doctors on shift could make it to the room. Poor doctor arrived to make the delivery, and he was late. smile.gif
Redjack
My fourth (second one induced) came so fast when she was ready that the nurse and I delivered her... Doctor couldn't make it back down the hall fast enough.
Tarantula
Congrats!
Redjack
QUOTE (Penta)
Are we still waiting on people, or should I bump?

G2G.
Penta
Babies are infinitely more important than posting; Congrats, WMS. smile.gif

Okay, since we look to be ready, I will write a post when I get home.
Penta
Actually, maybe no. Everybody's doing diagnostics and prepping. Will you guys be making the first move or sending out recon, or do you plan to let the ship come to you?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Redjack)
Tuesday, January 6th, 2071, ~08:31EST; MV Thundercloud, underway 50km E of Key West

Nearly immediately after giving the order, Johnny changes his mind, having an epiphany. <<@Mr Cuda [Captain] Mr Cuda - Belay my last order. Turn us to a heading of 090 and take us just out of sensor range then run us to a heading of 000, full speed ahead. We want to get in front of the ship's path.>>
He stops the launch sequence for the drone. They would need to get in front of the ship before launching the stormcloud.

He and Chief Litany have a short conversation, following up from a conversation the day before.
<<@Crew [Captain] Ok. Here is our recommendation for a plan, we are open to suggestions otherwise we will run with this. First, we are going to get ahead of the Benito Juarez. Everyone except Mr Cuda will drop in with SCUBA gear as the Thundercloud pulls away. The Stormcloud will provide over watch and allow us to intercept the Benito Juarez. Once we have it in sight, I will hack into the command node and generate alarms from the engine. I will also disengage all other external communications while having an agent insure that it appears they are working. They will need an all stop to investigate the engine issues. Meanwhile, we will board the ship and subdue the crew. Once they are secured, the Thundercloud will come alongside, we will fill our holds and get back underway. I will clean all their logs and clean it out as we exit. Questions? Comments?>>

I think we are doing this?

The Storm cloud drone can give us surveillance while we get ahead and wait for it to come to us and get slowed down with engine hacks.
Narse
Doesn't look like BishopMcQ has posted yet, or for several weeks for that matter. Just thought I'd point that out. Hopefully he's still with us.

Also how should we go about initiating the dive sequence/heading to the Juarez. I for one would feel really uncomfortable posting something along the lines of: So, Carlos starts swimming off towards the ship...

Oh and WMS, congratulations.
Redjack
Bishop has not posted to anything for nigh on a month. I'm sure he will be back and just got tied up with RL. He is missing from one of my games as well.
Penta
I think you all should post the dive sequence, as well as how you're handling the drones (altitude? Speed? Etc etc etc).
Penta
Redjack: Are you going, stopping, going, stopping? Or changing course as you move?
Redjack
I would say proceeding at full speed, then every five minutes slowing, rising to check position and adjusting course, then diving and back to full speed till we're within a half mile or so.
DireRadiant
Cap'n Periscope.
Penta
So you know, such a burst-stop-rise technique increases your chances of detection by a lot. You look a lot less like some random thing.
Redjack
I'm not planning on breaking the surface with anything more than the antenna...?
BishopMcQ
This is me resurfacing. Is there still a spot for me?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
This is me resurfacing. Is there still a spot for me?

Can you swim?
BishopMcQ
Fairly well, my breast stroke is slow but steady. Freestyle is my preferred stroke.
Penta
I meant on sonar, Redjack.smile.gif

Bishop, welcome back. Of course there's a spot for you.smile.gif
Redjack
Not sure I'm tracking.... I assume our size should keep detection from being a problem until we are close enough that Johnny hacks the other ship...?
Penta
To an extent. However, sonar works on -sound-. The sound of the engines spinning up, then going, then stopping, then going again will be distinctive.
Redjack
Sounds like I'll need to hack the engine must sooner than I'd thought.... Like at a range of 5 kilometers. That will negate the need for us to adjust trajectory multiple times, we only need to come up once. Then hack it, load up an agent to monitor the radio, sonar and engine diagnostics while we close range.
Penta
I suppose.
Redjack
Are we still game on or on hold for the holidays?
BishopMcQ
I'm still here, but it isn't really Franklin's part which is why I'm quiet.
Tarantula
Same, I'm just kinda waiting to see the story.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012