Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marque and Reprisal OOC Thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Penta
No, not really. It'd be a bit useless at sea.smile.gif
DireRadiant
I was thinking spare motor and parts for the gear heads, and we are going to dock occasionally.
Redjack
Yea. Makes great shore transportation once we dock.
DireRadiant
Now I'm trying to figure out who Rollins is.
Penta
Johnny Rocket
Penta
Re dodge scoot: Oh, good point.

Mmm, yeah, you could, though it'd eat up some hold space.

Re my latest post, because I forgot some things:

The tutorsofts:

Everybody gets:

Rating 4 Perception
Rating 4 Etiquette (Maritime)
Rating 4 Navigation
Rating 4 Nautical Mechanics
Rating 4 Piloting (Watercraft)
Rating 4 Law (Maritime)

I'm also going to be good to you in one other way: On the job training.

If you're learning a shipboard skill, every hour you stand the appropriate watch (helm, engineering, whatever) under the supervision of someone with a skill of 3 or better in the appropriate area, counts as a half hour of instruction time for skill learning purposes. (This does not apply to gunnery or heavy weapons - live training in those requires facilities you just don't have access to.)
Narse
Great, now all we need is the Karma to use those softs & instruction time.

Also can we handle unpacking and checking the ship out OOC? or would people prefer to do this IC? sleepy.gif

Starting Nuyen:
[ Spoiler ]
Penta
Re unpacking and checking out the ship: It's your choice.

For what it's worth: I know it can't last, but I love the pace we're keeping thusfar. Next week is going to slow me down some as I start my new job, but I'll still try to post major updates at least 2 or 3 times a week, if activity warrants.
DireRadiant
I think I need an explanation on how learning skills is going to work.
Narse
QUOTE (Penta @ Oct 18 2007, 12:35 PM)
Re unpacking and checking out the ship: It's your choice.

For what it's worth: I know it can't last, but I love the pace we're keeping thusfar. Next week is going to slow me down some as I start my new job, but I'll still try to post major updates at least 2 or 3 times a week, if activity warrants.

I would prefer to hand wave it and get on to the game. I should be able to maintain this post rate. We'll have to wait to see how midterms and finals affect things tho....

Regarding learning skills, I believe some material regarding that was added in the latest errata, I'd recommend checking that, might help reframe your perception of the RAW.
Penta
They goofed in SR4 - you need to look at what it says in SR4, but then look at a missing paragraph(!) that's in the errata 1.5:

“To learn or improve a skill or skill group, the character
must succeed in an Extended Intuition + skill Test, with a
threshold equal to the new skill rating x 2 and an interval of 1
week (1 month for skill groups). A teacher can add bonus dice
to this test (see Using Instruction, p. 123).�

So to modify what I've said:

On-the-job training will -decrease the time- needed to learn said skill. Every hour on watch will subtract a half-hour from the time needed to learn skills (taking a week as 7 8-hour days, as I think the Sr4 rules do for extended tests generally). This may not seem like much, but recall that a watch is up to 8 hours: That's half a day off your time before you make a single roll for a full 8-hour watch.
DireRadiant
Thanks Penta, I was wondering what the actual test was that Instruction helped with.

Do the tutorsoft ratings also act as a cap for determining how much a skill can be raised? Will a rating 4 tutorsoft only work as high as going from skill 3 to 4?

Litany's a dumb blonde, its' going to take ages to learn any skills....
DireRadiant
Narse, one of the reason we use timestamps is to manage the time jumps back and forth, it's not unusual to end up needing to post IC something that is occurring before the most current IC timestamp. On of the reasons to use timestamps.
Penta
Dire: That's what the rules seem to say.
Redjack
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Oct 18 2007, 04:58 PM)
"Bosun's Mate do not run an armory."

I'm will happily take correction on the correct title. As stated earlier, I have no naval experience and used the information at my disposal.
Thanks!
Redjack
<<Crew[Gunner Blythe] All hands not on watch lay to the Armory to check in all weapons, those on watch will be relieved to do so in turn. This is not a request.>>

I disagree. I think that all crew should be armed with side arms. We are privateers, not regular navy.
DireRadiant
Heh... you know the old adage about giving commands...
Penta
For what it's worth: The yacht does have an intercom system, Dire.nyahnyah.gif

BTW: Guys, don't worry about titles. Blythe may be being a hardass for some IC reason (as I sense he probably is; Hiii dominance games!), but OOCly, if there's any confusion, throw it at me. I'll happily arbitrate and carve up territory.

Because I love getting in on debates (even when I know better): Redjack, there's a reason why the armory is a good idea. You may not be regular navy, but accidental discharges don't care about that.nyahnyah.gif
WearzManySkins
OK RJ try it IC and see what awaits you. Lets say I disagree to say the least.

If you did not read them, the UCAS regs were are technically bound by.

WMS
Penta
Because the UCAS UCMJ was handed to Rollins doesn't mean it completely applies. It was a suggestion, not a command.smile.gif

(After all, on US/UCAS ships, the "Master" is (probably defined as) the President, who isn't aboard.smile.gif)

It should be noted: Operational control and legal title are not (necessarily) in sync here.

That does not mean I do not enjoy the dominance fight.

It's amusing to watch.
WearzManySkins
Despite what you feel as a player, on board any ship, having personnel running around armed for no reason is asking for trouble. But if you as the Commander wants other wise do it IC, I will have fun.

Even Pirates keep a control on weapons issue.

Besides go back and reread the message, you are seeing something there, that is not there.

WMS
Redjack
And you Yankees (native or immigrated) would do well to remember that Dixie is not ruled by the Union. nyahnyah.gif
WearzManySkins
RJ check your time stamp you are belaying an order which has not yet been issued.

Opps my bad.

WMS
Penta
Redjack: The CAS ain't, but this is a UCAS flagged ship. Ergo, it -is- ruled by the Union.nyahnyah.gif

Anyhow, fight this out ICly, not OOCly.nyahnyah.gif
Redjack
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
RJ check your time stamp you are belaying an order which has not yet been issued.

WMS

There is a second timestamp in my post, right above the entry.
Multiple timestamps help separate replying to multiple people across different time frames. wink.gif
Penta
And with that last IC post, your employers are going to wonder if this was a good idea at -all-.

...WMS: The Factors? Huhhhh?

SPEAK ENGLISH!:P
Redjack
And @all means the team! nyahnyah.gif
Redjack
If you want to post your com and program details here, I will begin making a list of upgrades we'll want to make.
Penta
If I might make a tiny, tiny suggestion:

OOCly at least, can we agree on a common vocabulary? (Because sometimes I've had to think for a bit before guessing at meanings thusfar.)

WMS: Quit using future tense. Please? It's actually kind of distracting to see everybody else using present tense (or at least past), and then to suddenly see future tense. Future tense makes a degree of sense during battles...Otherwise, it just feels stilted and reads jarringly.
WearzManySkins
Tense editing performed.

To me as long as the two officers are on board, @All will send to them, that is why my first message was sent to @Team. But now that is cleared up.

RJ he is not from the south, he will take badly any IC reference to such. He speaks a non American form of English. But not exactly proper English/English.

Post any checked in weapons here, along with any features etc, like smartgun link cameras, recoil compensating devices etc.

@Penta does the boat have any parts stores for such things as smartgun link camera installation/upgrades? and any gas vents that can be installed on weapons that lack them.

WMS
Penta
Stores? Yes. An armorer shop for installing things? No, nobody did mention getting that...

...And for what it's worth, WMS...Ease up, OOCly at least. We don't bite.smile.gif

WearzManySkins
@Penta
Ok hopefully a list of such parts can be compiled, and at some ports o call, we can get them.

Such parts would not normally be in stock in most small ships armories. But we ask, just in case. smile.gif
DireRadiant
You want guns? gun parts? Make a list.
WearzManySkins
@Direradiant
What Gunner is seeking is a master list of weapons on board the boat. That way he can better plan any parts issues and any accessories if any are needed.

Kinda of a shopping list, so he knows what is needed, what is wanted, and what needs repair.

@Penta
Let me know if Gunner finds/locates any issues with any of the weapons.

So far we have Johnny's Ares Predator IV, what smartgun options yet to be discovered.
Johnny's drone mounted White Knight yet to be examined, inspected.

Litany's pair of Colt Manhunters, what smartgun options yet to be discovered.

WMS
DireRadiant
Colt Manhunter
Smartgun System, internal
Silencer Barrel
Spare Clips
Skin link
WearzManySkins
opps forgot Gunner Blythe's weapons.

Ares Predator IV(worn only if watch conditions dictate the wearing of same)
*Smartgunlink Camera Upgrade
HK-227X with Gas Vent 3
Ares Alpha+Gas Vent 3+Air Burst Link
*Smartlink Camera Upgrade
Armtech MGL-12+Gas Vent 3+Air Burst Link
Full Body Armor/Chemical Seal/Environmental Adaptation
*Biomonitor
*Fire Resistance 6/Insulation 6/Non Conductivity 6/Thermal Damping 6
Helmet/Vision Upgrade/Smartgun Link/Simrig/Subvocal Microphone
*Radar Sensor Rating 4
*Head Phones/Audio Enhancement 3/Selective Sound Filter 3/Spatial Recognizer
Stoner-Ares M202 w/Gas Vent 3/Smartgun System Internal
Combat Axe
Combat knife (worn most of the time)

All of the above are stored/secured inside the Armory. None are visible from the doorway. All of the firearms are locked down mechanically and via smartgunlink.

WMS
Narse
@DireRadiant
How is Carlos supposed to make an interview time 40 minuets before you sent the message??
What do HUMINT and SIGINT mean?

Cooking! I knew there was a knowledge skill I forgot! Unfortunately it really doesn't fit the character.

@WMS
Carlos brought along an armorer kit.
Also weapons:
AK-97 with the following self made modifications:
-Gas Vent 3
-Shock Pad
-Laser sight
w/ lots of spare clips (12x reg. ammo)

Survival Knife
(worn almost constantly, you'd be hard pressed to get him to give it up)

You will have noticed that Carlos isn't exactly from the Subtlety School of combat theory.

@Redjack
Comlink:
Response 3, Signal 3, Firewall 3, System 3
Accessories:
-Subvocal Mic.
Programs:
Analyze, Command, Encrypt all at rating 3
Note: Carlos has a Datajack, but the com isn't capable of producing a sim feed.

@Penta
In anticipation of the ah... inspection that Litany wants us to perform, are any rolls going to be required on the player side or are you just going to let us know the results? If rolls are going to be required, which ones? For example: do I roll mechanic skill when inspecting the engine? or perception? or some combination of the two?

Also: I'm thinking that during the Physicals w/ Franklin augmentations will come up... so:
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Johnny's Weapons
Ares Predator IV: Comes with the stock smartgun system

Rotodrone w/ mounted Ingram Smartgun X: Comes with the stock gas vent II, smartgun & sound suppressor.
Johnny's roto-drone is in a custom storage locker, not a rack.
Besides the fact the Ingram was mounted, neither weapon has any modifications from stock.
(FYI: A camera and range finder are stock with a smartgun systems)

Ship Weapons
5x White Knight LMGs - all connected to weapon mounts on the ship or launches.
1x Stoner M202 MMG - mounted to the ship

Ship's Rotodrone: In a drone rack
1x Ares Alpha [stock with smartgun, 2pt Recoil internal recoil, grenade launcher]
- Modified with airburst link

@Bishop - Once Franklin does a medical review, here is Johnny's augmentation list
[ Spoiler ]
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Narse)
@DireRadiant
How is Carlos supposed to make an interview time 40 minuets before you sent the message??
What do HUMINT and SIGINT mean?

Cooking! I knew there was a knowledge skill I forgot! Unfortunately it really doesn't fit the character.

Fixed the schedule, thanks for that catch.

I did think about getting cooking.

HUMINT is human intelligence, SIGINT is signals intelligence (HACKER/EW in this case)

DireRadiant
@Redjack
Commlink
[ Spoiler ]

@BishopMcQ
Franklin Exam
[ Spoiler ]

DireRadiant
Here's the slate of questions Litany is likely to ask about.

Feel free to post IC responses that include Litany saying stuff in your scene if you want.

Interview Questions

- What part of the Caribbean/Eastern Atlantic do you have personal knowledge of?
-- Safe harbors and hiding spots?
- Do you know someone or have a way to get
-- Ship Fuel
-- Ship parts
-- Medical Equipment and supplies
-- Drugs
-- Guns and supplies
-- Tools
-- Software
-- Electronic and computer hardware
-- Drones and supplies
- Do you know a fence, what do they prefer to buy?
- Do you know any government or corp officials in a position to be of assistance?
- Do you know any other pirates or criminal orgs in the operational area?
- Anything else to share that might be helpful?
- What operational parameters do you wish to avoid?

- What's your favorite food and drink?
- What would you like to do with two day's liberty?
WearzManySkins
@Penta
What exactly are the accommodation's on board the ship?

I thought we had something other than staterooms?

WMS
BishopMcQ
@RJ--Hermes Ikon with Iris Orb (R4/S3/F3/S3)

@Dire--Here
[ Spoiler ]
Penta
Okay...I'm going to assume that routine, day to day inspections don't need rolls.

No issues come up in either case, with guns or the ship. (Yeah, your employers didn't bug a ship they provide for a covert op. Imagine that.)

Be aware: Guns stored in the armory are in a vaguely climate-controlled environment, preventing corrosion from the sea air and the like. Guns stored elsewhere are exposed to sea spray, sea air, and the elements generally, increasing corrosion.

WMS, if I'm not mistaken, that is actually a big problem for ships, isn't it?

Re Accommodations: You have 10 staterooms, high amenities (which equates to middle lifestyle furnishings and space, with en-suite bathrooms with showers). The 3 owner staterooms were cannibalized for space (gaining you 36 CF), as were the crew staterooms (72 CF gained) and 2 other staterooms (24 CF gained).

For what it's worth, some notes for during the transit to your randezvous point. Maybe some of this should go on the IC thread, but my brain is melted.

Your visitors pull watches and eat meals with the rest of you, but let you get used to your positions, only helping out where you ask or where it seems necessary. Otherwise, they'll take any member of the crew through their duty space or any other part of the ship, helping them get settled in.

Specifically:

Roberts - He seems to specifically be the "Johnson", one could say - if an unusual Johnson, as he's far more relaxed, personable, and friendly than the usual of the species, while still being professional. (If anybody here has read "Ender's Game", he's kind of like Graff, but without being quite the asshole. He does care about the crew, but he's determined to see you succeed, even if he rubs you the wrong way sometimes. Oh, and unlike Graff, he ain't fat.) For one thing, during a quiet moment, he takes Blythe aside and apologizes; perhaps he could have been more general, but the point had to be made. (Also, he settles the incipient dominance fight within 2 hours, by noting to both Rollins and Blythe (after pulling them aside together) that while Blythe legally holds control, Your Employers expect you to cooperate, and that he as the KO (contracting officer) is going to take Rollins as the senior officer between the two of you.) Along with his Southern counterpart, he takes Rollins, Blythe, and Rodriguez on a detailed walkthrough of the ship - mostly to answer questions, but also to point out little things that the owner's manual (available on chip in the wardroom) couldn't possibly point out, but that would be noted by an experienced mariner.

Litany is given a note by him through her comlink: "Various persons who miss you have lately been hinted to of your exploits; Even when I protested that, I was told that old ties do count for something to my superiors. Besides feeling lonely, I'm told that those former comrades informed were somewhat amused when informed in vague terms of your current irregular employment by the government. Certain warriors of a previous generation expressed their pride."

Otherwise, during meals, he isn't afraid to be friendly and talkative. He's not even 40 yet - Navy's been his career since he got out of Northeastern with a degree in Electrical Engineering, with a double-major in Political Science, serving since in operational positions. He's married, and he has a kid on the way - he doesn't express it openly, but apparently the prospect of being a dad has him terrified he'll screw up at it, given what he sometimes mutters to himself when he thinks he's alone on the bridge or elsewhere.

Butler is s similarly jovial sort - he's career Navy as well, joining the CASN after graduating from Texas A&M's Naval Architecture program; he's also married, but he's only 34, and has no kids yet. He's as much a staff officer as a line officer, and he's happy enough to both teach the practical points of seamanship and to teach, lecture about, or hold impromptu seminars on the theoretical side, if people ask. He's not so much the "Johnson" type, but he seems as interested in seeing this project work as Roberts. Difference in personality: Roberts is more the classic Naval officer, while Butler is somewhat more cerebral.

When not needed, either can be found talking to each other on one of the lounge areas aboard the ship, watching the trid, or reading: Technical journals on naval architecture and maritime technology for Butler, UCASNI Proceedings or any of a number of newspapers for Roberts. Or, occasionally, they'll just be asleep there, for maybe an hour or two at max.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Penta)
Litany is given a note by him through her comlink: "Various persons who miss you have lately been hinted to of your exploits; Even when I protested that, I was told that old ties do count for something to my superiors. Besides feeling lonely, I'm told that those former comrades informed were somewhat amused when informed in vague terms of your current irregular employment by the government. Certain warriors of a previous generation expressed their pride."

All very amusing for an unintended BG tie in.

I keep imagining a scene where the lab tech is asked, "So did you get a DNA match?"
Lab tech answers, "Nooooo, not exactly, but...."
DireRadiant
OOC, it may not be clear from the IC so far, but Litany is a contemporary of Roberts and Butler even she might look younger.
WearzManySkins
@Penta
Yes being at sea, causes all kinds of interesting issues due to the environment. Lubrication get fouled up due to the salt, Stainless Steel corrodes, aluminum corrodes, electronics corrode, etc.

Items reputed/guaranteed to be corrosion proof corrode.smile.gif A lot of maintenance is spent looking for such corrosion and dealing or protecting the item from corrosion.

I know from todays gunpowder that long term exposure to salt air causes become less of what it is.

That is in todays environment, in 2070 due the interesting changes in the worlds oceans due to increased pollution etc, things could be even more interesting. smile.gif

WMS
Tarantula
Of course, in 2070 they have plasteel and whatnot, so perhaps nothing corrodes. I'm pretty sure fiber optic line would be pretty safe from corrosion, (not the endpoints, but the line itself, what with being covered in insulation and kevlar), for example. Can we assume the future-tech balance out with the future-pollution?
WearzManySkins
@Tarantula
I do not know if SR has plassteel. Yes there are plastics but if those are steel like in qualities....

But salt is also an abrasive, cable sheaths due to salt and vibration get worn. Kevlar is not proof against abrasion.

For hundreds of years mariners have been hoping technology would reduce the ravages of the sea and salt on their ships. As of today, it is still an ongoing battle.

WMS
Tarantula
@Redjack - Commlink
[ Spoiler ]

@WMS - Weapons
[ Spoiler ]

@BishopMcQ - Medical
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012