Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missiles and Rockets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
6thDragon
I read the rules on missiles and rockets again this week and couldn't believe a few of the things I read. Tell me know any of you have changed things or if you actually play with the rules as written. Maybe I'm missing something. I noticed that the cost of the disposable launcher costs twice what the fragmentation rockets cost! To me that's just rediculous. I think they should cost 500. Also comparing the rules for firing rockets compared to missiles. With missiles you use heavy weapons plus the intelligence of the missile (max 3). If firing a rocket you use heavy weapons plus agility. This way, unless you have a very low agility you'd be better off using rockets. Am I missing something?
kzt
Probably not. The combat rules seem mostly written by people who learned everything they know from comic books and bad movies.
Zen Shooter01
Kzt has a point.

I play missiles as AGI + HW + missile intelligence.
Buster
I'm not sure why missiles have a limit of rating 3, don't they have drone brains (limit rating 6)?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Buster)
I'm not sure why missiles have a limit of rating 3, don't they have drone brains (limit rating 6)?

...basically missile guidance would be similar to a pilot programme so one would think that anyone with programming skill could tweak it.
DTFarstar
IF writing is still going on for Arsenal, they need to take a look at the Javelin missile system we have today and then upgrade it.

Chris
kzt
What comic book does the Javelin appear in? cool.gif
Kyoto Kid
...good one grinbig.gif
ShadeRavnos
Ok, this may not be the right area for this but it does deal with heavy weapons.

The Panther Assault Cannon... Fires in single shot only, there for really no recoil... But it has a recoil compensation of (1). Now bringing up the fact that it's fireing small tank ammo... what kind of recoil should this monster kick with one shot??
Riley37
If the Striker is just a launching tube with a trigger grip and a ring sight, could it be as cheap as $100? That's what I'd guess, if there's a competitive market.

The other rocket launcher in BBB can selectively feed any of four different ammo types to its tubes, but there aren't four different ammo types... well, unless you mix rockets and missiles.

Also, the -6 AP on antivechicle rockets should apply to anything it hits directly, because a jet of white-hot gas (directed by the shaped charge effect) will go through body armor just as well as vehicle armor; but does not apply to the blast radius damage. In case you're hitting a big spirit, or a troll adept with body armor AND magical armor, or something else that might survive 16DV -2AP.
FriendoftheDork
Heh, didn't even know this part of sillyness. SO house ruled. I also dislike the fact that rockets and missiles have identical damage when in RL a missile launcher is a much better penetrator (and often more explosive) than a rocket launcher, especially a light disposable one such as LAW.
hobgoblin
i suspect that much of the "artifacts" we see are conversion issues.

as in, things that show up because the rules system have been changed, and people write old stuff over into the new system.

edit:

did a bit of reading, and i would allow the user to use a missiles sensor rating to do a active targeting test.

also, the sensor rating of the missile directly affect scatter. so any scatter below 4 meters are nullified out of the box.

those two in combo can imo result in a fairly accurate area effect weapon...
Riley37
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
a missile launcher is a much better penetrator (and often more explosive) than a rocket launcher

Huh? Launchers don't do damage; rockets/missiles do damage. I'd bet long odds that what you're calling a "missile launcher" fires missiles that are also rockets, no? The SR4 usage of "rocket" = unguided and dumb vs. "missile" = target-seeking is perhaps an odd wording choice, but where are you drawing the line between "missile" and "rocket"? The AIR-2 Genie is a "rocket" (in USAF usage, not SR4 usage) and carries a nuclear warhead.

As for the Panther.. if you give it Recoil 3, then a person using its shockpad and firing prone with a bipod gets enough RC for no penalty; anyone here ever fired a comparable weapon, and if so, would that be appropriate? (I'm not aware of a similar RL weapon, but maybe an antitank rifle?)
hobgoblin
about rockets vs missiles, look at the armament of a apache.

the hydra is a rocket, it will fly straight ahead and thats about it.

the hellfire is a missile, and can be guided by infrared, radar or laser.
Aaron
QUOTE (ShadeRavnos)
The Panther Assault Cannon... Fires in single shot only, there for really no recoil... But it has a recoil compensation of (1). Now bringing up the fact that it's fireing small tank ammo... what kind of recoil should this monster kick with one shot??

I can see this being here for two reasons.

First, all recoil penalties count over the course of an IP, so if for some reason you're two-fisting assault cannons, you'd have other problems, but not recoil.

Second, if Arsenal is like similar books from previous editions, there will be rules for modifying your Panther Assault Cannon to fire in semi-automatic mode (or, god forbid, full-auto).
Dender
... If you're two fisting Panther cannons, and it doesn't kill whatever you're shooting, you have bigger problems than worrying about recoil
hobgoblin
full-auto phanter?!
something like this?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocannon
Ed_209a
If you want a really good example of what the panther cannon might look/act like, look up the Barrett XM109. It fires a variety of 25mm grenades at 2600 fps
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Ed_209a)
If you want a really good example of what the panther cannon might look/act like, look up the Barrett XM109. It fires a variety of 25mm grenades at 2600 fps

No, if you want a really good example of what the panther cannon might look/act like, consider the portable hand cannon that the gangers were carrying around in RoboCop. cool.gif
hobgoblin
that was a dressed up barret...
bibliophile20
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Then I have to give kudos to the costume department, because, normally, dressing up doesn't give you superpowers, as the label on the Superman costume is so fond of reminding us. biggrin.gif
Zen Shooter01
I think the Panther is more comparable to the .50 BMG Barrets than the 25mm.
hobgoblin
btw, about the subtitle:
yes, your target silly.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 13 2007, 01:46 PM)

Then I have to give kudos to the costume department, because, normally, dressing up doesn't give you superpowers, as the label on the Superman costume is so fond of reminding us. biggrin.gif
bibliophile20
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Oct 13 2007, 06:48 PM)

I'm not referring to RoboCop's gun, I'm referring to the handcannon that the ganger uses to blow up the car after the cops go on strike.
mfb
'hand cannon' is generally used to refer to a large pistol, which may be why some people are confused.
Negalith
In real life, the most common “rocket launcher� is the Russian RPG 7. It packs a hell of a punch and is cheap. Another contender for best known rocket system is the German Panzerfaust. Both weapons have taken out a hell of a lot of armored vehicles over the years. They are called rockets because they have no guidance systems. At close range they are deadly. The problem is that the lack of a guidance system makes them utterly useless at extended ranges. When asked what the range for an RPG 7 is, the most common answer is “as close as you can get�. Missiles pack a similarly powerful punch, but with their guidance systems are MUCH more accurate over a greatly increased range. I would say both a missile and a rocket should be equally accurate up close, but if you want any kind of range accuracy at all you need a missile.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Dender)
... If you're two fisting Panther cannons, and it doesn't kill whatever you're shooting, you have bigger problems than worrying about recoil

...how true. grinbig.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Riley37)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 13 2007, 03:52 AM)
a missile launcher is a much better penetrator (and often more explosive) than a rocket launcher

Huh? Launchers don't do damage; rockets/missiles do damage. I'd bet long odds that what you're calling a "missile launcher" fires missiles that are also rockets, no? The SR4 usage of "rocket" = unguided and dumb vs. "missile" = target-seeking is perhaps an odd wording choice, but where are you drawing the line between "missile" and "rocket"? The AIR-2 Genie is a "rocket" (in USAF usage, not SR4 usage) and carries a nuclear warhead.

As for the Panther.. if you give it Recoil 3, then a person using its shockpad and firing prone with a bipod gets enough RC for no penalty; anyone here ever fired a comparable weapon, and if so, would that be appropriate? (I'm not aware of a similar RL weapon, but maybe an antitank rifle?)

Yeah, guns don't do damage, bullets do damage! Nice nitpicking.

My point was that a rocket propelled grenade http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_propelled_grenade) usually carry less powerful penetration and/or explosive effect than an ATGM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATGM.

Note that some TOW missiles can penetrate all known tank armor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGM-71_TOW , at least the newer warheads.

That something like a m72 LAW and a TOW2b missile should have the same stats is ridiculous, it would be like having holdhouts and sniper rifles have the same stats!

By rocket here I mean RPG, by missile an ATGM.

Negalith, the german panzerfaust was cheap and easy to use (a children used them with no problems), and had terrible range and accuracy but could take out most allied tanks.

The RPG-7 can take out most APCs and IFVs, but have difficulty penetrating most main battle tanks today, at least from the front. The most common caliber is 84mm, which makes it smaller than a T-54's tank gun but greater than most WW2 calibers. In Afghanistan Mujahedin had to fire simultaneously at a russian MBT from different angles in order to destroy it, first one round to set off the exposive reactive armor, then a few more to make a nice hole with the HEAT rocket, kill people inside by molten steel, and possibly ignite fuel or ammo (boom!)

A TOW2b missile could possibly take out an M1 abrams. ATGMs are heavier than RPGs, have guidence systems, and often fired from heavy platforms or vehicles.
mfb
QUOTE (FriendoftheDark)

that's pretty specific. you're taking a current trend and applying it to all missiles and rockets--but the logic behind today's trends in weaponry may not apply in 2070. right now, the battlefield is in the process of changing from open field warfare in which tanks and armor dominate, to close-in urban fighting where the enemy is mixed in with the civilian population. it's easily possible that this new battlefield (which may have disappeared by 2070, who knows) will favor unguided (ie cheaply-produced) high-penetration rockets from disposable launchers.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDark)

that's pretty specific. you're taking a current trend and applying it to all missiles and rockets--but the logic behind today's trends in weaponry may not apply in 2070. right now, the battlefield is in the process of changing from open field warfare in which tanks and armor dominate, to close-in urban fighting where the enemy is mixed in with the civilian population. it's easily possible that this new battlefield (which may have disappeared by 2070, who knows) will favor unguided (ie cheaply-produced) high-penetration rockets from disposable launchers.

Yeah, just like we've taken the trend that hold outs are less powerful than magnum revolvers to still exist 100 years later. Although MBTs may be less important in 2070, there still exist heavily armored vehicles that you need good penetrators against.

And it makes sense to me that heavier versions should at least exist, even if heavy armor is rare.

Hmm, after rechecking the BBB it seems "rockets" and "missiles" share the same launcher, which in case I agree they could well have the same damage etc.

Somehow I thought there were 2 different classes of launchers, which in case different damage would make more sense. It also seems the only price difference between the two is the guidence system (sensor rating).
hyzmarca
You can save a great deal of money and still have superior guidance by putting the guidance system in a reusable launcher and attaching the missile to the launcher with a spool of wire. Given how easy it is to just hack enemy missiles and tell them to turn around, I imagine that this would be a very popular solution in 2070.
mfb
QUOTE (FriendoftheDark)
Yeah, just like we've taken the trend that hold outs are less powerful than magnum revolvers to still exist 100 years later. Although MBTs may be less important in 2070, there still exist heavily armored vehicles that you need good penetrators against.

And it makes sense to me that heavier versions should at least exist, even if heavy armor is rare.

yes, but that's not what you said. what you said is that missiles are heavy and rockets are light. that's a trend that generally holds true today, but it's not likely to always hold true, and it's certainly not a difference that is inherent to the definition of the terms. the definitions for "rocket" and "missile" in SR are basically the same as the definitions used by the US military--namely, that a missile is guided and a rocket is not. there's nothing in that definition that says anything about how powerful one is compared to the other.
Riley37
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)

On that, I agree. The BBB lists one size of projectile, available as shaped-charge, fragmentation, or simple HE; available with or without target-seeking; firable from the cheap single-tube launcher or the two-tube, selective-feed launcher. Perhaps Arsenal will include lighter versions comparable to today's RPG, and heavier versions (maybe with minimum STR to carry & use properly, or suitable for the Heavy Weapons Mount which I also hope appears in Arsenal).

I just disagree with using "rocket" to mean RPG size and "missile" to mean larger.
"Missile" is fairly often used to mean "rocket engine plus smart targeting".
"Rocket" in common usage includes everything from bottle rockets to the V-2.

Wire-guidance can be the right tool for the job. Maybe in Arsenal; if not, then I hope someone publishes some stats here; or borrow from Car Wars. I don't read the BBB missile description as including any wireless remote control. Hacking a radio-controlled missile in flight would be an extreme case of "hacking on the fly".

Programming a missile to home in on the strongest broadcast is an established technology called an "antiradiation missile", good for destroying radar installations. Could also work vs. jammers.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (FriendoftheDark)

yes, but that's not what you said. what you said is that missiles are heavy and rockets are light. that's a trend that generally holds true today, but it's not likely to always hold true, and it's certainly not a difference that is inherent to the definition of the terms. the definitions for "rocket" and "missile" in SR are basically the same as the definitions used by the US military--namely, that a missile is guided and a rocket is not. there's nothing in that definition that says anything about how powerful one is compared to the other.

Why don't you quote the whole post? I've already agreed that the definitions are appearantly different in SR. In other modern/sci-fi RPGs I've played ATGMs have been more powerful than RPGs. Some guided missiles have even been used to replace tank gun ammunition (in russian tanks), which is why I thought the ATGMs would be larger and more powerful than my image of the RPG (LAW, RPG-7, even the SMAW).

However it seems that in 2070 the only difference between "rocket" and "missile" is wether it's guided or not. Hopefully in arsenal they will include varies sizes and heavier AT weapons more resembling today's TOW.

As for the wired missile, it's an interesting idea because of electronic warfare, but it seemed to me that just like drones a missile doesen't need further instructions after it has been fired - it's fire and forget. It could potentially be hacked, but that would probably take too long as these rockets generally are very fast.

Hyzmarka, don't you think the missile would need some sort of "brain" inside it as well as in the weapon? Something to interpret the signals coming from the wire? Perhaps it's techically possible, it just seems like a loophole to me in order to use cheaper missiles (which is the main reason not to use missiles - more expensive (and yeah I'm, houseruling the sensor replaces attribute thingy).
mfb
misinformation is common enough that i generally prefer pounding points home to minimize the chance of anyone coming away with the wrong ideas. no offense intended.

QUOTE (FriendoftheDark)
However it seems that in 2070 the only difference between "rocket" and "missile" is wether it's guided or not. Hopefully in arsenal they will include varies sizes and heavier AT weapons more resembling today's TOW.

that is, just to be clear, the same difference the US military uses when they're classifying munitions.

if SR4 had autopilots, i'd suggest that an autopilot be required to make a wire-guided missile do its thang. as they don't, i guess i'd just require that the missile have a higher device rating than an unguided rocket. that will up the cost some, but not as much as installing a full drone brain.
bait

In other modern/sci-fi RPGs I've played ATGMs have been more powerful than RPGs. Some guided missiles have even been used to replace tank gun ammunition (in russian tanks), which is why I thought the ATGMs would be larger and more powerful than my image of the RPG (LAW, RPG-7, even the SMAW).

Your comparing vehicle scale weapons with man-portable ones, so yes an ATGM on the scale of a tank round will be more powerful then say a man-portable stinger unit.

Also, modern vehicle rockets are used in salvos so don't require as much of a warhead per rocket.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (bait)
In other modern/sci-fi RPGs I've played ATGMs have been more powerful than RPGs. Some guided missiles have even been used to replace tank gun ammunition (in russian tanks), which is why I thought the ATGMs would be larger and more powerful than my image of the RPG (LAW, RPG-7, even the SMAW).

Your comparing vehicle scale weapons with man-portable ones, so yes an ATGM on the scale of a tank round will be more powerful then say a man-portable stinger unit.

Also, modern vehicle rockets are used in salvos so don't require as much of a warhead per rocket.

Well the man-portable Javelin isn't that much worse than the AT-8 Songster (Kobra), if it even is worse. The portable one is of course lighter, and the range is lower, but both can kill most tanks pretty effectively.

Both are in the same "class", which is ATGM. In other words, the size effectiveness of ATGMs vary alot, some are hardly better than RPGs, others could potentially take out m1 abrams.

Of course artillery rockets is something else entirely, if that was what you meant by vehicle rockets firing in salvos. Or did you mean the kind of missiles with multiple warheads that attack from different angles or to destroy reactive armor before the main charge(s) hit?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 13 2007, 02:23 PM)

I'm not referring to RoboCop's gun, I'm referring to the handcannon that the ganger uses to blow up the car after the cops go on strike.

did you look at the link?

it lists all the major guns used that i can see.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 13 2007, 11:28 PM)
Given how easy it is to just hack enemy missiles and tell them to turn around, I imagine that this would be a very popular solution in 2070.

that is if its guided from the launcher, rather then self-guided.

and i cant see any kind of projectile do a 180 in a urban area at speed. that is unless we are talking some kind of insane multi-nozzle setup or something.

and then there is the time it takes to hack it. i would say that unless we see some repeat of the naval rules, with multi-round missile travel, forget it.

and wire-guided have mostly been replaced by laser or radar painting these days (iirc).

hell, when using radar, one can even let the missile do its own painting of the target, fire-and-forget style.

it works for air to air missiles at least wink.gif

and with millimeter wave radar in a handheld format it should probably work in man-portable weapons also.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Oct 13 2007, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 13 2007, 02:23 PM)

did you look at the link?

it lists all the major guns used that i can see.

I must have overlooked it; in my defense, I was in a hurry at the time of my earlier post.
hobgoblin
fully understandable.
Shrike30
My recollection is that Fields of Fire added a whole range of heavier (and lighter? don't have the books with me at the moment) "missiles" and "rockets" to the game, including LAWs, ATGMs, and all that good stuff.

In the same way that Augmentation added a bunch of nifty cyberware, I wouldn't be surprised to see heavier anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons added with Arsenal.

Besides, if the rumored powered armor (please please please) makes it into Arsenal, we're gonna need more firepower smile.gif
Penta
No, not power armor. Bad.

This Is Not BattleTech....
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Hyzmarka, don't you think the missile would need some sort of "brain" inside it as well as in the weapon? Something to interpret the signals coming from the wire? Perhaps it's techically possible, it just seems like a loophole to me in order to use cheaper missiles (which is the main reason not to use missiles - more expensive (and yeah I'm, houseruling the sensor replaces attribute thingy).

It only needs simplified sensors and controls. All of the major processing would be done at the launcher. It isn't just technically possible, it is commonly done. It has been done since WWII, when the Germans attempted to implement it because the British were jamming their radio control systems.

Heck, with 2070 technology you can just have a character rig the missile, no guidance system needed.
kzt
So, you want to reinvent the AT-2 Swatter? Gee, why was this replaced by other systems? Ones that don't depend on radio transmissions from the launcher and don't require someone actively guiding the missile?

There must have been some reason. . . . wink.gif
mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Heck, with 2070 technology you can just have a character rig the missile, no guidance system needed.

you don't take dumpshock anymore when a vehicle you're rigging is destroyed?
bait
character rig the missile

And you'd take feedback from the missile impact. smile.gif
hobgoblin
didnt rigger3 have rules for just that kind of thing?

and talked about being auto-disconnected moments before impact?

anyways. for anything thats expected to hit within the same pass or round that its launched, all this is useless...
mfb
nope. it's been discussed on the boards, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012