Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fastest Mundane in the West
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Buster
What is the fastest (i.e. highest Initiative and highest IP) mundane character that you can build using standard chargen rules? A full build isn't necessary, just every non-Awakened trick you can think of to twink out Initiative and IP.
Kyoto Kid
...nice challenge

Lemee see what I can cook up when I get home from work... grinbig.gif

[edit]

<== ...just noticed I made it to the next rung woohoo! Closing in on that "Bushido Cowgirl" status... (IE is such an insult).
Whipstitch
I've done this before; you need Optimized Attribute genetech for both Reaction and Intuition along with Exceptional attribute (well, OK, I skipped Exceptional attributes and hardcapping) for one of them, and then you need a Move-By-Wire system paired with Reaction enhancers (which, unfortunately, results in less passes than you would get with Wired 2). Beyond that, about the only ways you're going to get faster is with experimenting with combat drugs, infusions and an Adrenaline Pump. Anyway, initiative is important but honestly, I wouldn't really recommend shooting for anything much higher than 12 out of chargen; it gets expensive and difficult to get much farther than that and people can still force the issue with Edge, so it's often better to invest in other areas at that point.
Buster
Congrats on the prime runner upgrade. What level were you before? What are the progressions?
Tarantula
Human 0bp

Rea:8(10) 85bp
Int:6 50bp

Ini:18

Qualities:
Genetic Hereitage (Genetic Optimization Intution) 10bp
Exceptional Attribute Reaction 20bp

Gear:
Genetic Optimization (Reaction) 36k
Wired Reflexes 2 32k
Adrenaline Pump 2 60k
Jazz drug
Psyche drug

All said and done. Base reaction of 10, intuition of 6. Kick on the adreanaline pump for +2 reaction. Take some jazz for +1 reaction +1 IP. Take some psyche for +1 int.

Total with all that on is is Reaction 13 Intuition 7 for base initiative of 20 with 3 IPs.
Whipstitch
Wired Reflexes are not compatible with Reaction enhancers; you need a Move-By-Wire 1 system for that. That doesn't change the initiative total, however, you just end up with less passes. Cram and Jazz are good for the Reaction boost but not the extra passes because of the same compatibility issues; I'm pretty sure the "fastest" non-awakened chargen build is limited to 2 IPs.
Tarantula
Reaction enhancers are compatible with all other initiative enhancers. You're right on the drugs, I just get the reaction and intuition bonuses from them not the extra pass.

Final total is 22 init w/3passes.
Whipstitch
Reaction enhancers are compatible with other forms of initiative enhancements but Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Boosters are not. Move-by-wire is the only other form of 'ware that can be combined with other stuff, and then only with Reaction Enhancers.
Tarantula
Hmm, coulda sworn.... Well, -2 reaction then, 20 and 3passes.
Whipstitch
Yeah, the SR4 corebook is a bit of a tease.
Fortune
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Reaction enhancers are compatible with other forms of initiative enhancements but Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Boosters are not.

Nope. Synaptic Boosters work just fine with Reaction Enhancers. The FAQ only charges the ruling for Wired Reflexes (for no good reason).

Reaction Enhancers are not Initiative Enhancers ... they enhance Reaction.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (Buster)
What is the fastest (i.e. highest Initiative and highest IP) mundane character that you can build using standard chargen rules? A full build isn't necessary, just every non-Awakened trick you can think of to twink out Initiative and IP.

By mundane, do you mean non-magical, or non-magical AND non-augmented. And for a final question, in this contest do drug effects stack?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Buster)
Congrats on the prime runner upgrade. What level were you before?  What are the progressions?

..."Runner" status.

I think it goes:

Target => Moving Target => Running Target => Shooting Target => Neophyte Runner => Runner => Prime Runner => Veteran Runner => Immortal Elf (Bushido Cowgirl grinbig.gif) => Dragon => Great Dragon

...haven't figured out replacement for Dragon & Great Dragon yet...but them's aways off anyway...
Fortune
IE is the highest (as it damn well should be!), with Great Dragon and then Dragon next down the list. wink.gif
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 15 2007, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 16 2007, 08:27 AM)
Reaction enhancers are compatible with other forms of initiative enhancements but Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Boosters are not.

Nope. Synaptic Boosters work just fine with Reaction Enhancers. The FAQ only charges the ruling for Wired Reflexes (for no good reason).

Yeah, that damnable FAQ always screws over my memory on this subject. You know, what with it making no damn sense and having little connection to other precedents set in the rules and all. sleepy.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
IE is the highest (as it damn well should be!), with Great Dragon and then Dragon next down the list. wink.gif

...your kidding, In the SR food chain I would put any dragon above an IE.

I'd definitely be more worried about crossing Lofie than Ehran.

(...waitaminute! at least one of my characters did so already. Yeah, Dragons on top for sure.). grinbig.gif
Fortune
Not happening! biggrin.gif nyahnyah.gif
hyzmarca
Human 6 Natural Rea Maximum 0BP
Genetic Optimization: Reaction 45,000 nuyen.gif +1 Natural Rea Maximum -0.2ESS
Exceptional Attribute: Reaction 20BP +1 Natural Rea Maximum
Rea 7; 60BP
Chemical Gland: Cram (Constant Internal Release); 31,000 nuyen.gif +1Rea +1IP -.3ESS
Chemical Gland: Jazz (Constant Internal Release); 31,000 nuyen.gif +1Rea +1IP -.3ESS
Chemical Gland: Kamikaze (Constant Internal Release); 31,000 nuyen.gif +1IP +1Bod +1Agi +2Str +1Wil, High Pain Tolerance 3 -.3ESS
Chemical Gland: Novacoke (Constant Internal Release); 31,000 nuyen.gif +1Rea +1Cha +1Perception, High Pain Tolerance 1 -.3ESS
Reaction Enhancers 2; 20,000 nuyen.gif +2REA -.6ESS

(189,000 nuyen.gif)/(5000 nuyen.gif/BP) + 60BP = 38BP +80BP = 118BP

(6+1+1) Natural Rea Max = 8 Natural Rea Max

8(3/2) Augmented Rea Max = 12 Augmented Rea Max

7 Rea + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 7 + 5 = 12 Augmented Rea

1IP +1 +1 +1 = 4IP

225BP

Attributes 145BP

1 (2)Bod
1 (2)Agi
1 (3)Str
7(12)Rea
1 (2)Log
7 (9)Int
1 (2)Wil
1 (2)Cha

Special Attributes 0BP

1 Edge
3.8 ESS

Positive Qualities 30BP
Exceptional Attribute: Reaction
Genetic Heritage: Inspiration
(High Pain Tolerance 3)

Negative Qualities 0BP

Active Skills 0BP
Perception 0 (1)

Knowledge Skills

Resources 50 BP 250,000 nuyen.gif -247,000 nuyen.gif

Bioware/Genetech
Genetic Optimization: Reaction
Genetic Optimization: Intuition
Chemical Gland: Cram (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Gland: Jazz (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Gland: Kamikaze (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Gland: Novacoke (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Fland: Psyche (Constant Internal Release)

Cyberware/Nanotech
Reaction Enhancers 2

Gear

Contacts

Literally maxed speed with plenty left over. Constant dosage means that he will never suffer crash effects from his drugs. He probably won't live very long, however.

Edit: Added Intuition Enhancement

Edit: Final Version 20Int 4IP 225BP Cost 3000 nuyen left over
DTFarstar
So, how many posts does it take to move up?

Chris
Jaid
uhhh... hyzmarca? highest *initiative* and IPs.

not reaction =P
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
Not happening! biggrin.gif nyahnyah.gif

...well shoot & tarnation, I gotta think of alternate titles for Dragon & Great Dragon a lot sooner now.

@DTFarstar: I believe it is every 500 after "Target".
Fortune
Check out these threads for info on titles.

Ranking System
Running/Moving Target
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 15 2007, 07:30 PM)
uhhh... hyzmarca? highest *initiative* and IPs.

not reaction =P

Right. Fixed.

18 Init and 4IPs now.

QUOTE (Tarantula)

Rea:8(10) 85bp
Int:6 50bp

You can't start with Reaction 8 and Intuition 6. You can't start with Reaction 8 at all, in fact.

You can only have 1 stat at 6 (7 with Exceptional Attribute if you follow the FAQ) or 2 Stats at 5. The rest have to be 4 or less.

One could stretch the FAQ ruling to allow 8 with genetic heritage, but that isn't canon at the moment.
Zhan Shi
@hyzmarca: nice work.

I'm shooting for "Immoral Elf" status, though I doubt I'll reach it.

And for the record, I don't have boobs.
Buster
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 15 2007, 07:16 PM)

174BP

Attributes 100BP

1 (2)Bod
1 (2)Agi
1 (3)Str
7(12)Rea
4 (6)Log
1 (2_Int
1 (2)Wil
1 (2)Cha

Special Attributes 0BP

1 Edge
4.0 ESS

Positive Qualities 20BP
Exceptional Attribute: Reaction
Genetic Heritage: Inspiration
(High Pain Tolerance 3)

Negative Qualities 0BP

Active Skills 0BP
Perception 0 (1)

Knowledge Skills

Resources 42 BP 220,000 nuyen.gif -220,000 nuyen.gif

Bioware/Genetech
Genetic Optimization: Reaction
Chemical Gland: Cram (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Gland: Jazz  (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Gland: Kamikaze (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Gland: Novacoke (Constant Internal Release)
Chemical Fland: Psyche (Constant Internal Release)

Cyberware/Nanotech
Reaction Enhancers 2

Gear

Contacts

Literally maxed speed with plenty left over.

You posted an incomplete build??? Oh hell, now we're going to have to endure eight pages of people saying "He only has 1 Chr that means anyone can easily convince him to blow his own brains out with a Con roll!!!11", "He doesn't have any skillz that means he's a retard!!!111" , "Drugs are illegal!!!1", and "Munchkins are teh suck!!1" over and over and over and over and over. biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
I'm shooting for "Immoral Elf" status, though I doubt I'll reach it.

I keep asking the Powers That Be to get rid of the 't', but alas it remains. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...yeah that would be more fitting from the Short One's viewpoint. grinbig.gif
(#32)
Seven-7
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

You can only have 1 stat at 6 (7 with Exceptional Attribute if you follow the FAQ) or 2 Stats at 5. The rest have to be 4 or less.

One could stretch the FAQ ruling to allow 8 with genetic heritage, but that isn't canon at the moment.

Thats 'only one at 6', the 'or two 5's is for skills. I can have all 5's if I so wished.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Seven-7 @ Oct 15 2007, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 15 2007, 07:43 PM)

Thats 'only one at 6', the 'or two 5's is for skills. I can have all 5's if I so wished.

Good point. I always get that confused. For stats it is one at the natural maximum, which means that genetic heritage would allow 8 and Tarantula's build is legal.
It also means that I could actually get 2 more points of intuition from my build.

However, Tarantula's build is still limited by Augmented Maximums, which means that he can't have a reaction of 13 even with drugs.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 15 2007, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 16 2007, 08:27 AM)

Yeah, that damnable FAQ always screws over my memory on this subject. You know, what with it making no damn sense and having little connection to other precedents set in the rules and all. sleepy.gif

Arguably, because the FAQ bars them from working with wired, it is reasonable that they don't work with synaptic either... why? Because synaptic boosters have the same wording as wired reflexes for compatibility.
Fortune
Then you would think that the FAQ would reflect that. Fortunately some semblance of sanity remains, and there is no mention.

There is nothing wrong with the wording in the SR4 rule book. It specifically states that Wired Reflexes are incompatible with other Initiative enhancements. And Reaction Enhancers do not on their own directly enhance Initiative (and more than the Suprathyroid Gland does ... which is not listed as incompatible).
Tarantula
I agree. I was just arguing a case could be made that since they use the same barring language, they'd be incompatible with the same ware.
Whipstitch
All I know for sure is that the FAQ is silly; I had no reason to question anything about Reaction Enhancers until I saw that FAQ, and then the first thing out of my mouth was "Huh!?" which is really more of a sentence fragment than a question.
DTFarstar
If I had to guess I would say the basis is that Synaptic Boosters is additional tissue, Reflex Enhancers is a machine replacing tissue, and wired reflexes replaces part of the same tissue that WR replaces. So, WR and RE won't work together, but RE will work with the additional tissue from the boosters.

Chris
MaxHunter
whatever. I allow any combinations of such in my games...
Keeps people from getting confused.

Cheers,

Max
DTFarstar
So do I, I'm just theorizing over here.

Chris
Fortune
I think it's probably obvious that I ignore that little gem from the FAQ. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012