Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book Club: Runner Havens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
fistandantilus4.0
Cape Town

For me, Cape Town really presented the feel of the area well. They didn't have a lot of space to add thigns in, but a few nice little plot hooks were inserted, as well as updating a couple of things, which is always nice.

For one, they updated the situation with Universal Omnitech. UO always seemed to have a lot of stand alone presence, and them playing second fiddle to Aztechnology, especially with a partnership with DeBeers, never really made sense to me. I just didn't see the motivation. So like the book says, it came as no suprise to see them break off and do their own things.

Other plot hooks, UO using the info from the gene bank financed by DeBeers years ago to work on their anti-aging project 'Methuselah' is pretty neat, and gives another good reason for UO to make the partnership last. Roxborough has always been very big on using his company for the sole purpose of saving his own life. Trying to use a massive data base to find gene sequences for immortal elves, or what ever other secret they might be loking for, is a good plot for an epic scale run.

They also brought back up the Kiliminjaro 'space catapult' and research going in to making a space elevator, leaving the door open for more space-centric runs, as well as reminding folks that Cape Town isn't the only place thigs are going on in Africa.

To me, the CapeTown section was the best Fringe area of the book. It had a little more space to work with, which did likely help. But the plot hooks not with standing, I'd say my favorite was the opening section that introduced it as a harsh place where life was cheap cheap cheap. You here that a lot in different area books, but Cape Town put a lot of effort into reasserting that point. You've got things like families indenturing children to mines so that the rest can eat, blood diamond trade, cheap and permissable human testing laws, and vicious gangs that call them selves 'organized crime'. Everything is watched over by a dragon, who apparently doesn't real give a damn what everyone else does as long as her tribe does what they want and aren't attacked over much. That makes for a nice harsh setting.

Out of all the sections in the book including Hong Kong, this was the section that immediately made us start a game set there.
martindv
The mention about Kilimanjaro was interesting, and you make a good point. However, while it's nice to know that there are things going on in Africa, I'm still pretty disappointed in how the overview in Sprawl Survival Guides pretty much wrote off 80-90% of Africa, excluding Azania, the Desert War zone from Wastelands, the Ivory/Gold Coasts and Kilimanjaro/Nairobi.

Cape Town made it seem like the rest of Africa might be fun and exciting in SR, until you go back and read that.
Cain
Lest people thing I'm picking on AH, let me show you what I was looking for. I did the white-out trick again, but this time to show how you'll know a place, even with the serial numbers filed off.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. In less than twenty years, the
____ has gone from a shining gem in a megacorp’s
crown to a nightmarish prison presided over by a mad AI, to—
well, essentially glorified public housing.

____ and the UCAS had some disagreements over the
cleanup and reconstruction costs, so the UCAS just seized it, excluded
_____  from the picture, and wrote up some new plans.
Renamed it the _________ the facility is now owned and operated by
the Metroplex government, who has turned it to many uses. The
lowest sub-basements, for example, are the domain of the UCAS
military (they do have reactors down there, after all), while the
first five above-ground floors, reminiscent of the old ____
glory days, are a corporate-run mall open to the public.
The highest floors are sealed off, and what’s up there
now is anybody’s guess.

What about all those floors in between? They’re home sweet
home for 150,000 souls living in a massive, enclosed welfare state.
These folks live in government-issued housing units, eat government
food (flavored soy pap and distilled water—tasty!), wear
government-provided clothing (recyclable flats—cheaper that
way, y’know), and are fed government-approved propaganda via
government-sponsored Matrix connections. Some lucky slots can
better themselves by volunteering for corporate experiments and
product tests, while others earn a bit of cred by doing the grunt
work in the infrastructure: janitorial, maintenance, recycling, and
so forth. Some turn to a life of crime. But nobody (or hardly anybody)
gets out. The suits don’t want poor people streaming out all
over the streets of Downtown, so the place is essentially run as a
minimum-security prison. Once you sign the contract and move
in, you’re restricting yourself to the 200-plus residential floors of
the ______ (it is a supposed to be self-sustaining, after
all). Armed guards ensure that you only leave with express permission
or on your small allotment of “vacation days�—and even then
they bus you away from Downtown.

There’s a treasure trove of job opportunities in the ___, if you
know where to look. There are many Johnsons out there who’ll pay
big to runners who can get in and retrieve items—especially those
locked away in the sealed upper floors—or extract certain key individuals.
There are also many residents who have more cred than
you might suspect from the description of the place, and they’ll pay
for anything from the outside: uncensored news, consumer goods,
illegal items—and a way out. A savvy runner could make a fortune
doing nothing but runs in and out of the big ______. Just be careful—
if it was easy, anybody could do it.

Now, who *can't* tell where this is describing? This is excellent work, and shows local flavor in abundance, even while making nods to global culture (flats and soyprotein). This is what I think most people are looking for.

Cape Town: I agree that it's a well-written section, although it didn't make me want to immediately run out and set a game there. It passes the white-out test handily, and I particularily liked how it managed to encompass all the many cultures in Africa without overgeneralizing them.
Synner
QUOTE (martindv @ Oct 27 2007, 10:55 PM)
I'm still pretty disappointed in how the overview in Sprawl Survival Guides pretty much wrote off 80-90% of Africa, excluding Azania, the Desert War zone from Wastelands, the Ivory/Gold Coasts and Kilimanjaro/Nairobi.

Cape Town made it seem like the rest of Africa might be fun and exciting in SR, until you go back and read that.

Since I wrote both pieces (SSG overview and now Cape Town), I can confidently say... boy are you in for a surprise. I suggest you reread the SSG entry with an eye to what were then new developments... it'll give you a clue where we're going.

Nairobi will be visited briefly in Corporate Enclaves, and I have my own plans for other areas of the Dark Continent in future books.

Regarding Cape Town especifically, it's nice to see people liked it. I tried to do what I always do: cram as much atmosphere and unique cultural references as I can into a piece that packs just enough storyhooks for people to play off. As always I wish I had a half-dozen pages more to have fun with, but I like the way it turned out.
JBlades
The whole thing was probably colored by preconceived notions of Africa, but I pictured this rough, dusty town with huge skyscrapers suddenly springing up out of a savanna and lots of mercs sitting in cafes while trucks drove by down dirty roads. Lol, a bit of a miss matched image but pretty appealing from an SR point of view. I have to admit you stirred my imagination quite a bit with Cape Town. smile.gif
martindv
Cape Town's not exactly a Deadwood with a couple of skyscrapers now. For that matter neither is Nairobi.

Synner, reading the Guide again (in my lap) I can see the mention of a tribal confederation, but that still lives "Dark Africa" which is most of the continent and a huge amount of land relatively forgotten. It's a nice start mind you.

One of the interesting things I noticed in Shadows of Asia was a reference in the Arabia section to the Ethiomalian Territories. That would have a lot of promise to it.
JBlades
Oh, I understand that it's not really a dirt street kind of place, hence my "preconceived notions" comment. I'm actually chuckling at my own mental picture, you see...

Still, it sounds cool.
Ancient History
There's been a bit of demand for a Shadows of Africa book for a while now.

Cities on the Edge was written by Lars Blumenstein and Peter Taylor, both of whom are talented European authors. Like everybody else, they have their own quirks and styles-you'll notice a heavier use of localisms and more balance in the shadowcomment length.

Smaller sections like this tend to cover slightly more out-of-the-way places, sprawls the JackPoint krewe can't be expected to have a true expert on-hence the stronger reliance on guest posters in the section. Lars and Piotr were also heavily involved in Augmentation afterwards, which should tell you why the material in these sections lines up so well with that sourcebook.

This isn't actually the first time SR's dealt with Capetown, but most people try to forget the Serrin Shamanadar novels by Carl Sargent and Marc Gasciogne.

Some of the material in Runner Havens, particularly Caracas, goes over or expands on material in Shadows of Latin America-again, there's some bleedover of SoLA[i] authors and [i]RH writers. Particular bits to take note on are the BADs and the execution of the feathered serpent Dzitblachen. Other bits like the AZT-ORO connection are to catch up newer players who wouldn't be familiar with the material from previous editions.
JBlades
I noticed I really connected with the Cape Town and Caracas sections, but not as much with Hamburg and Istanbul. I don't have a lot of in depth feedback at the moment as to why this is, though, since midterms are kicking in for me, so I've had less time this week to really dig in to them. frown.gif
Cain
I think Hamburg suffered because the writers knew it'd have 40 pages added in the German version. All the short-shots tried to go over a lot of information in a hurry, but I think Hamburg just didn't work as well, because of all the extra material that was skipped.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cain)
I think Hamburg suffered because the writers knew it'd have 40 pages added in the German version. All the short-shots tried to go over a lot of information in a hurry, but I think Hamburg just didn't work as well, because of all the extra material that was skipped.

I agree with this assessment.

Incidentally, is this type of thing a practice that is going to continue under Catalyst?
FrankTrollman
Since Catalyst doesn't have he German rights, probably not.

-Frank
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Since Catalyst doesn't have he German rights, probably not.

Actually, if that is the case (the same situation as FanPro was in), then it probably will continue. frown.gif
Synner
Under any future license agreement, local Shadowrun licenses (including the one for Germany, once it is sorted out) will likely be able to produce their own material and/or expand on Catalyst material in their own local language publications.

FYI - Much like Hamburg was expanded for the German release, France's Black Book Editions is adding a chapter on Marseille to their upcoming version of Runner Havens. Arclight in Japan contributed to the upcoming Neo-Tokyo chapter of Corporate Enclaves, but I'm sure they may will eventually produce their own material as well.
martindv
QUOTE (Synner)
France's Black Book Editions is adding a chapter on Marseille to their upcoming version of Runner Havens.

That I'd like to see.
fistandantilus4.0
Echo that

QUOTE (Synner)
As always I wish I had a half-dozen pages more to have fun with...

Well, feel free to post any left over notes that didn't make it in. smile.gif We won't mind.
Simon May
What sort of issues would you run into posting notes and segments cut from the final chapter? Does WizKids technically own the rest of anything you produced, even if it isn't used?

I know lots of people post their own rules, theories, and runs on the net (which in the US, should fall under fair use as long as they don't profit from them), but at what point are we violating WizKids's ownership of the licenses?
Demonseed Elite
I don't think there is any problem posting notes and things you write that are related to a published piece but not part of it. Cut segments can be a bit different, since oftentimes they are part of the piece that was purchased by FanPro (now Catalyst). So they are no longer yours to post, even if they didn't see print. But from my experience, asking if you can post cut material usually gets approved or they suggest it being posted to the website.

Note that this will all get easier once there is Holostreets. I imagine we'll be posting a lot of cut material and supplemental material there. I'm really looking forward to that.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Cain)
I think Hamburg suffered because the writers knew it'd have 40 pages added in the German version.

It also suffered because the german AGS material tended to be a complete mess that was best adressed with not mentioning any details at all...
casarez
OK, I am finally done with this book. Overall I am impressed by it and really enjoyed it. I thought all of the sections gave a good feel of the haven they were covering. Although I tend to enjoy books like these.

I must admit to not having the issues others have with the Seattle section. I know that if you blanked out the specific Seattle names and inserted D.C. names (The city I live next to and most familiar with) they would not be interchangeable. you would have to do more work than that.

Now that the GM spot has rotated to me for the next campaign this book helped me better form some general ideas I had about some runs.
Cain
QUOTE (casarez)

I must admit to not having the issues others have with the Seattle section. I know that if you blanked out the specific Seattle names and inserted D.C. names (The city I live next to and most familiar with) they would not be interchangeable. you would have to do more work than that.

I'll repost:
Bangor, ten years after. Coming back to my
far-off birthplace is a breath of fresh air in many
ways. Indeed, the oceanic wind that welcomed
me at the International Airport is
only the beginning. More than four
million souls call Bangor home, but only one can
call itself its Governor.

Pollsters, rallies, and AR spam; oh my! The
Heart of Maine is being bombarded by bombastic
bullshit. Election campaigns are kicking into high
gear and the anxiety is nearly visible. Customs gives
me the Look as I hand over my press accreditation.
It won’t be the last one the agent sees before E-Day.

I’m sipping something the caffeine bar claims
is real Amazonian coffee as I ride in a cab to the
Mayflower Park Hotel—it’s no Laubenstein Plaza,
but it’ll do. I like the retro atmosphere. Very 1990s.
The driver is in-the-flesh, not telepresent—an
ork named Fred.

/// Begin Audiovisual Transcript ///
Fred: Mayflower? Good family hotel. Big beds
and soundproof rooms—’cause a nightclub was
near it once.
Daniel Cregg: Once? You mean Sullivan’s closed?
Fred: (nods) The Crash. City’s been in agony
from it.
DC: (distracted) Hmm … city looks fine from here.
Fred: Downtown ain’t all of Bangor, hoss. The other districts are
helluva lot worse. I ain’t down-and-out yet, but my wife’s unemployed
and our kids got all this pressure to become gangers. All the
other kids in our street already joined one gang or another.
DC: Sorry to hear that. Can’t the police do anything about it?
Fred: The Star? <snorts> The buunda to the Star. They’re so busy
stomping orks they can’t even catch the Cutter.
DC: So you agree with Strouthers.
Fred: Yeah, but that useless halfer ain’t getting my vote again.
DC: So who’s your pick?
Fred: No real choice between Brackhaven and someone who
wants to jump into the abyss. Who knows, there might be something
soft at the bottom.
/// End Audiovisual Transcript ///

Fred pretty much summed up Bangor’s dilemma. All three
candidates promise the moon for Bangorites (they’d promise the
sun too, but locals don’t believe in anything they can’t see), but can
they deliver?

With the withdrawal of former Councilman Daniel
Reynolds (Technocrat) for personal reasons and Representative
Susan Riordan (Libertarian) over a financial scandal, the field has
narrowed to three main candidates. Given the high number of undecided
voters, the election can still go to any of them.

The Incumbent: Julius Strouthers
Julius Strouthers hasn’t had an easy tenure as Metroplex
Governor. Bangor’s sinking economy and rising unemployment
are just the tip of the iceberg. Add in endemic street violence, well publicized
corruption scandals involving some of his closest advisors,
increased hostility from the Native American Nations, and
frosty relations with President Colloton’s administration, and you
start to get the picture. Recent bouts of rage at Cabinet meetings
show the enormous stress the dwarf is dealing with.

The governor has been lashing out at Lone Star recently,
criticizing its lack of success in catching the “Mayan Cutter� serial
killer. Strouthers has entertained negotiations with Knight
Errant concerning the Metroplex Policing Contract, up for renewal
next year, as a tacit threat. Strouthers has also promised a
new solution to solve Bangor’s energy problems, but details have
been scarce.

Strouthers is fighting in earnest, though, and he won’t go
down without a fight. “Bangor is a community, built with the
hopes and actions of our forefathers, not divisiveness and mistrust,�
said Strouthers to an audience at a recent rally. “We’re
a strong city and with your help we can truly make Bangor the
jewel of the Northeast.�

The Frontrunner: Kenneth Brackhaven
Politicians are nothing if not adaptable, and Kenneth
Brackhaven is no exception. After his failed 2057 presidential
bid, Bangor’s golden son spent several years as a power behind
the scenes, endorsing many local candidates and the late
Governor Lindstrom’s failed presidential bid in 2064. With
Election Day nearing and one third of Bangor behind him,
those efforts might soon pay off.

/// Begin Transcript ///
“A simple look at the numbers shows that our city is dying.
Forty percent of ork teens who try a BTL end up joining
a gang. Five out of ten prostitutes are elves. Troll-related
violence in schools has nearly doubled. Filipino, Chinese, and
Aztlaner immigrants are stealing jobs from decent, hard working
Americans.
“And what has been the Governor’s reaction to these problems?
He wants to fire Bangor’s hard-working police! Clean up
starts at home, and Kenneth Brackhaven is the man for the job.�
Source: Arise Humanity! AR spam
/// End transcript ///

This candidate’s inability to grow in the polls is a major concern
of Brackhaven’s advisors. Brackhaven supporters blame unfavorable
media coverage, but outside experts speculate he has
reached his popularity roof.
“Kenneth Brackhaven is doing very well with the human electorate,�
said Brian Stanton, an analyst at the University of Maine,
“but I still have yet to see a metahuman voting for him. The problem
was less significant when he ran for President, but Bangor has
a much higher percentage of registered metahuman voters.�

Personally, I wonder at tension within the ranks. After joining
the Republican Party in 2069, Brackhaven rode a wave of former
Archconservative voters to vanquish Ellen Danquist in the
Metroplex primaries. Danquist had been personally nominated
by President Colloton, which puts Brackhaven at odds with the
powers-that-be in DC.

With the death of Karl Brackhaven,
his uncle and chairman of the Humanis
Policlub, in 2065, the only other remaining
Brackhaven is Karl’s granddaughter,
drug artist Tiffany Brackhaven. Tiffany’s
longstanding relationship with the Goblin
Rock star Crime Time would be a boon to
Brackhaven’s anti-metahuman image, but
one he’s chosen not to exploit.

That's pretty interchangeable. All I did was cut-and-paste a few names here and there. Now, there are sections that *aren't* interchangeable (such as the Arcology), but for the most part, Seattle may as well be Bangor, Maine.
HappyDaze
Now, there are sections that *aren't* interchangeable (such as the Arcology)

Is there some reason that there can't be an equivalent structure in another city? Alter why it was abandoned (insect spirits, blood magic, toxic spills, whatever) and have it refurbished into the ACHE. I don't see a problem.
Cain
You could, but it'd take a lot more work than simple white-out. I'd have to do some serious editing to make it not the Renraku Arcology anymore, almost to the point of rewriting huge chunks of the section.

Lemee show you:
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. In less than twenty years, the
____ has gone from a shining gem in a megacorp’s
crown to a nightmarish prison presided over by a mad AI, to—
well, essentially glorified public housing.

____ and the UCAS had some disagreements over the
cleanup and reconstruction costs, so the UCAS just seized it, excluded
_____  from the picture, and wrote up some new plans.
Renamed it the _________ the facility is now owned and operated by
the Metroplex government, who has turned it to many uses. The
lowest sub-basements, for example, are the domain of the UCAS
military (they do have reactors down there, after all), while the
first five above-ground floors, reminiscent of the old ____
glory days, are a corporate-run mall open to the public.
The highest floors are sealed off, and what’s up there
now is anybody’s guess.

What about all those floors in between? They’re home sweet
home for 150,000 souls living in a massive, enclosed welfare state.
These folks live in government-issued housing units, eat government
food (flavored soy pap and distilled water—tasty!), wear
government-provided clothing (recyclable flats—cheaper that
way, y’know), and are fed government-approved propaganda via
government-sponsored Matrix connections. Some lucky slots can
better themselves by volunteering for corporate experiments and
product tests, while others earn a bit of cred by doing the grunt
work in the infrastructure: janitorial, maintenance, recycling, and
so forth. Some turn to a life of crime. But nobody (or hardly anybody)
gets out. The suits don’t want poor people streaming out all
over the streets of Downtown, so the place is essentially run as a
minimum-security prison. Once you sign the contract and move
in, you’re restricting yourself to the 200-plus residential floors of
the ______ (it is a supposed to be self-sustaining, after
all). Armed guards ensure that you only leave with express permission
or on your small allotment of “vacation days�—and even then
they bus you away from Downtown.

There’s a treasure trove of job opportunities in the ___, if you
know where to look. There are many Johnsons out there who’ll pay
big to runners who can get in and retrieve items—especially those
locked away in the sealed upper floors—or extract certain key individuals.
There are also many residents who have more cred than
you might suspect from the description of the place, and they’ll pay
for anything from the outside: uncensored news, consumer goods,
illegal items—and a way out. A savvy runner could make a fortune
doing nothing but runs in and out of the big ______. Just be careful—
if it was easy, anybody could do it.

None of us can miss that as the Renraku Arcology. And you can change it further, but that'd prove the point that it.s not easily interchangeable. This section was done *right*.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Note that this will all get easier once there is Holostreets. I imagine we'll be posting a lot of cut material and supplemental material there. I'm really looking forward to that.

frown.gif Might as well say it was all included in SoLA. *cries softly*
casarez
QUOTE (Cain)
I'll repost: <snip>

That's pretty interchangeable. All I did was cut-and-paste a few names here and there. Now, there are sections that *aren't* interchangeable (such as the Arcology), but for the most part, Seattle may as well be Bangor, Maine.

Nice try but not really. The changes you made are not nearly enough for it to be D.C.. You could with more work do it but then it would blow away the whole "interchangeable" argument you are making.

Look, I understand you are not happy since the book did not mention the place(s) you see/go to/hang out in. I understand you are upset since the author waited until a little bit into the Seattle section to first mention the Space Needle (This one truly confuses me but whatever). But really, the Seattle section could not be transported to D.C. (or I suspect any other major city), without major changes (Name changes, section deletions and additions, etc) just like any other section of RH.

Just count me as one who lives basically in another major city who is not buying into the interchangeable argument about the Seattle section. Mainly because after living in D.C. itself for many years, and have spent many days/nights/etc walking or metroing around it for various reasons I think I can safely say what sounds like D.C. and what does not.

However, just from reading your posts here I doubt you will concede that so we will probably just have to agree to disagree.
casarez
Aside from the interchangeability argument I will say I most likely did not get all the Easter eggs in the book. Of course I only knew to look for some by the comments in this thread. I did catch references here and there, like the Firefly/Serenity one, but some passed me by. Especially the box office ones.

Did anyone post what the easter eggs are and what they reference?
Cain
Look, I understand you are not happy since the book did not mention the place(s) you see/go to/hang out in. I understand you are upset since the author waited until a little bit into the Seattle section to first mention the Space Needle (This one truly confuses me but whatever). But really, the Seattle section could not be transported to D.C. (or I suspect any other major city), without major changes (Name changes, section deletions and additions, etc) just like any other section of RH.

Then show me how the section I quoted isn't Bangor, Maine as much as Seattle.

I agree that there are sections that aren't interchangeable, which is the core of your argument, But by and large, you've missed my argument. Other than the Space Needle, which is the defining landmark of the skyline, I haven't once mentioned one single space to go and see. I have mentioned how the Ork Underground is now transplantable into any city, anywhere. It's more a treatise on ork culture than a location.
Demonseed Elite
Well, part of it comes back to having multiple authors. When I wrote Hong Kong, I started out with key ideas and themes I wanted to express and developed the pieces (locales, district descriptions, NPC personalities) to express them. For example, I wanted to express the desperation and darkness in the lives of the refugee population, so I packed them into the Kowloon Walled City, had them tormented by the Yama Kings, and ruled over by the butchers of the Black Chrysanthemum Triad. Once I express those conditions, understanding why the 9x9 terrorists exist becomes more plausible. The links between the elements are what create the grounding that Cain seems to really like.

But when you have multiple authors, each one has their own ideas they want to express and it's difficult sometimes to cross those ideas over between different authors. If I had a co-author on Hong Kong who was writing the Districts section, it's tough for me to tell him to write a district a certain way because it strengthens an idea I have for one of my sections. Even if he agrees with my idea, it's still his writing and is going to have its own flavor.

I think that's why you have some sections of Seattle that have strong links and flavor, because they were the ones each of the authors working on Seattle really wanted to express. In between those, however, you inevitably end up with orphan ideas that aren't as well linked or grounded. Those can easily be transplanted to other sprawls just because they aren't as linked to everything else. Which could be good or bad. Equally, if a GM favors his ideas for a sprawl over the writers' intent, it's easier to change up those elements than it would be for him to change up the material in the Hong Kong section.
Demonseed Elite
On the topic of in-jokes in the material. It's purely personal opinion, but I think there were a few too many in-jokes in the Seattle section. When reading it, I'll admit I spent more time hunting for easter eggs and less time really focusing on the setting. It got a bit distracting.

But, on the other hand, in-jokes highlight a weakness in my own writing. I'm pretty terrible at them. Early Shadowrun books had a recognizable quirkiness to them, creating lasting jokes like NERPS. There isn't much of that quirkiness in the Hong Kong setting, because I'm not so great at writing it.
martindv
QUOTE (casarez @ Oct 30 2007, 07:27 AM)
Nice try but not really. The changes you made are not nearly enough for it to be D.C.

To be fair, Cain didn't say it was interchangeable with ANY city, but it was generally interchangeable. Of course there are going to be execeptions and statistical outliers, and boy did you find one out beyond sigma six.

In the case of Washington, D.C., you're trying to disprove his general thesis by providing a counter-example that is pretty hard to make interchangeable with ANY city unless a writeup for D.C. was written so broadly and badly that it had to have been done on purpose. The one example I can think of as far as manufactured, specific for the purpose of being a national capital exclusive of all other reasons for it being a major city like economic, cultural or otherwise is Brasilia, or if you really make a stretch, Canberra.
martindv
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
On the topic of in-jokes in the material. It's purely personal opinion, but I think there were a few too many in-jokes in the Seattle section.

Well, then there are some of us who don't get them and don't even notice. Which is unfortunate in itself because I presume they should serve another purpose beyond the author showing how much minutiae he knows about SR from 1989 or something.
casarez
Then show me how the section I quoted isn't Bangor, Maine as much as Seattle.

I cannot since I have never been to Bangor, ME. I can say it would not fit for Philadelphia, D.C., Pittsburg, or Atlanta since those are ones I have lived in or visit frequently.

I agree that there are sections that aren't interchangeable, which is the core of your argument,  But by and large, you've missed my argument.  Other than the Space Needle, which is the defining landmark of the skyline, I haven't once mentioned one single space to go and see.  I have mentioned how the Ork Underground is now transplantable into any city, anywhere.  It's more a treatise on ork culture than a location.

A single space to go and see? To be honest this is about a book for criminals doing illegal things. Why would sight seeing be on the agenda at all? Given the time and inclination I could write a nice write up of D.C. that would only mention the monuments/Smithsonians in a single throwaway line and still capture the feel of the city. Especially since there is a lot more to D.C. than monuments.

To be fair, Cain didn't say it was interchangeable with ANY city, but it was generally interchangeable. Of course there are going to be execeptions and statistical outliers, and boy did you find one out beyond sigma six.

In the case of Washington, D.C., you're trying to disprove his general thesis by providing a counter-example that is pretty hard to make interchangeable with ANY city unless a writeup for D.C. was written so broadly and badly that it had to have been done on purpose. The one example I can think of as far as manufactured, specific for the purpose of being a national capital exclusive of all other reasons for it being a major city like economic, cultural or otherwise is Brasilia, or if you really make a stretch, Canberra.

Ok, I listed three more cities above which his changed write up would not describe. I am willing to drop D.C. and move to one of those if you like. I mean I would no want to disprove his argument with a "statistical outlier".

So with just cut and pasting the Seattle names and not changing anything else. The write up does not feel like Philadelphia, Pittsburg, or Atlanta either. Are those cities OK or just more outliers?
casarez
QUOTE (martindv)
Well, then there are some of us who don't get them and don't even notice. Which is unfortunate in itself because I presume they should serve another purpose beyond the author showing how much minutiae he knows about SR from 1989 or something.

They do not bother me but I apparently did not get a lot of the non-SR ones either. I got a few here and there once I read them but not a whole lot. Especially not enough for me to think the Seattle section was full of them. Although after reading the posts it might well be and I just missed many of them.
blood_kite
QUOTE (casarez)
I can say it would not fit for Philadelphia, D.C., Pittsburg, or Atlanta since those are ones I have lived in or visit frequently.

Having lived in Atlanta for 18 years I could easily see it describing a 2070 Atlanta if you just take out the line about an ocean breeze. I visit home 3 or 4 times a year and every time I get to hear some of the silly things my state and county governments have done since I left. An election that has no candidates worth voting for with some using racial and economic demographics to smear the incumbant? Like that's never happened before.
casarez
I want to add this. I am not trying to get Cain or anyone else to change their opinion I am merely injecting a counter-opinion. I am also not disagreeing with all of Cain opinion. I will present what I think his opinions are and Cain is free to correct/clarify if he feels the need:

"Some parts of the Seattle sections are so bland that they barely seem to describe the city I live in"
- This part I cannot disagree with since I do not live in Seattle and have only spent a grand total of two days there ever.

"These parts are so bland you could plug them into any major city by just changing the names"
- This part I disagree with. These parts may be bland to Cain, maybe even bland for Seattle, but cannot, in my opinion, to transported to any major city without either becoming even more generic or being changed more than 'cut and paste' a few names.
casarez
QUOTE (blood_kite)
Having lived in Atlanta for 18 years I could easily see it describing a 2070 Atlanta if you just take out the line about an ocean breeze. I visit home 3 or 4 times a year and every time I get to hear some of the silly things my state and county governments have done since I left. An election that has no candidates worth voting for with some using racial and economic demographics to smear the incumbant? Like that's never happened before.

So just the ocean breeze then? Change some names and remove ocean breeze and that is Atlanta? Wow, OK if you feel like it does. It does not for me but thats cool.

As for the election part that happens everywhere but I am not sure this Governor election is as unimportant as say Maine's in the SR world. Although with Cain making Bangor a hub of Shadowrunning activities maybe it is....
Smilin_Jack
After not playing SR for the longest time and getting back into it with SR4.... the Seattle section in Runner Havens left me less than impressed. Then again even the New Seattle sourcebook left me with a "meh....whatever" for the most part.

Runner Havens, at least the Seattle portion, left me so unimpressed that I went to the half-price books across the street and bought 3 copies of the old Seattle Sourcebook for $10, since then I've cracked open Runner Havens.... maybe twice?

So, I definately agree with Cain.
Cain
Let's try Philadelphia, then:

Philadelphia, ten years after. Coming back to my
far-off birthplace is a breath of fresh air in many
ways. Indeed, the oceanic wind that welcomed
me at the International Airport is
only the beginning. More than four
million souls call Philadelphia home, but only one can
call itself its Governor.

Pollsters, rallies, and AR spam; oh my! The
City of Brotherly Love is being bombarded by bombastic
bullshit. Election campaigns are kicking into high
gear and the anxiety is nearly visible. Customs gives
me the Look as I hand over my press accreditation.
It won’t be the last one the agent sees before E-Day.

I’m sipping something the caffeine bar claims
is real Amazonian coffee as I ride in a cab to the
Mayflower Park Hotel—it’s no Laubenstein Plaza,
but it’ll do. I like the retro atmosphere. Very 1990s.
The driver is in-the-flesh, not telepresent—an
ork named Fred.

/// Begin Audiovisual Transcript ///
Fred: Mayflower? Good family hotel. Big beds
and soundproof rooms—’cause a nightclub was
near it once.
Daniel Cregg: Once? You mean Sullivan’s closed?
Fred: (nods) The Crash. City’s been in agony
from it.
DC: (distracted) Hmm … city looks fine from here.
Fred: Downtown ain’t all of Philadelphia, hoss. The other districts are
helluva lot worse. I ain’t down-and-out yet, but my wife’s unemployed
and our kids got all this pressure to become gangers. All the
other kids in our street already joined one gang or another.
DC: Sorry to hear that. Can’t the police do anything about it?
Fred: The Star? <snorts> The buunda to the Star. They’re so busy
stomping orks they can’t even catch the Cutter.
DC: So you agree with Strouthers.
Fred: Yeah, but that useless halfer ain’t getting my vote again.
DC: So who’s your pick?
Fred: No real choice between Brackhaven and someone who
wants to jump into the abyss. Who knows, there might be something
soft at the bottom.
/// End Audiovisual Transcript ///

Fred pretty much summed up Philadelphia’s dilemma. All three
candidates promise the moon for the , but can they deliver?

With the withdrawal of former Councilman Daniel
Reynolds (Technocrat) for personal reasons and Representative
Susan Riordan (Libertarian) over a financial scandal, the field has
narrowed to three main candidates. Given the high number of undecided
voters, the election can still go to any of them.

The Incumbent: Julius Strouthers
Julius Strouthers hasn’t had an easy tenure as Metroplex
Governor. Philadelphia’s sinking economy and rising unemployment
are just the tip of the iceberg. Add in endemic street violence, well publicized
corruption scandals involving some of his closest advisors,
increased hostility from the Native American Nations, and
frosty relations with President Colloton’s administration, and you
start to get the picture. Recent bouts of rage at Cabinet meetings
show the enormous stress the dwarf is dealing with.

The governor has been lashing out at Lone Star recently,
criticizing its lack of success in catching the “Mayan Cutter� serial
killer. Strouthers has entertained negotiations with Knight
Errant concerning the Metroplex Policing Contract, up for renewal
next year, as a tacit threat. Strouthers has also promised a
new solution to solve Philadelphia’s energy problems, but details have
been scarce.

Strouthers is fighting in earnest, though, and he won’t go
down without a fight. “Philadelphia is a community, built with the
hopes and actions of our forefathers, not divisiveness and mistrust,�
said Strouthers to an audience at a recent rally. “We’re
a strong city and with your help we can truly make Philadelphia the
jewel of the East.�

The Frontrunner: Kenneth Brackhaven
Politicians are nothing if not adaptable, and Kenneth
Brackhaven is no exception. After his failed 2057 presidential
bid, Philadelphia’s golden son spent several years as a power behind
the scenes, endorsing many local candidates and the late
Governor Lindstrom’s failed presidential bid in 2064. With
Election Day nearing and one third of Philadelphia behind him,
those efforts might soon pay off.

/// Begin Transcript ///
“A simple look at the numbers shows that our city is dying.
Forty percent of ork teens who try a BTL end up joining
a gang. Five out of ten prostitutes are elves. Troll-related
violence in schools has nearly doubled. Filipino, Chinese, and
Aztlaner immigrants are stealing jobs from decent, hard working
Americans.
“And what has been the Governor’s reaction to these problems?
He wants to fire Philadelphia’s hard-working police! Clean up
starts at home, and Kenneth Brackhaven is the man for the job.�
Source: Arise Humanity! AR spam
/// End transcript ///

This candidate’s inability to grow in the polls is a major concern
of Brackhaven’s advisors. Brackhaven supporters blame unfavorable
media coverage, but outside experts speculate he has
reached his popularity roof.
“Kenneth Brackhaven is doing very well with the human electorate,�
said Brian Stanton, an analyst at the University of Pennsylvania,
“but I still have yet to see a metahuman voting for him. The problem
was less significant when he ran for President, but Philadelphia has
a much higher percentage of registered metahuman voters.�

Personally, I wonder at tension within the ranks. After joining
the Republican Party in 2069, Brackhaven rode a wave of former
Archconservative voters to vanquish Ellen Danquist in the
Metroplex primaries. Danquist had been personally nominated
by President Colloton, which puts Brackhaven at odds with the
powers-that-be in DC.

With the death of Karl Brackhaven,
his uncle and chairman of the Humanis
Policlub, in 2065, the only other remaining
Brackhaven is Karl’s granddaughter,
drug artist Tiffany Brackhaven. Tiffany’s
longstanding relationship with the Goblin
Rock star Crime Time would be a boon to
Brackhaven’s anti-metahuman image, but
one he’s chosen not to exploit.

Granted, I've only been to Philadelphia for a week, twenty five years ago, but that still seems to fit in a literary sense. That is, everything still makes sense with only a cut-and-paste job on the names. I don't know the local flavor, landmarks, or anything else to add; but then again, the lack of added stuff is the point of this debate.

But when you have multiple authors, each one has their own ideas they want to express and it's difficult sometimes to cross those ideas over between different authors. If I had a co-author on Hong Kong who was writing the Districts section, it's tough for me to tell him to write a district a certain way because it strengthens an idea I have for one of my sections. Even if he agrees with my idea, it's still his writing and is going to have its own flavor.

I agree that the "writing by committee" approach probably hurt the Seattle section. In general, it hurts most writing styles. Having written scientific papers that way, I can safely say that it's a very difficult task.

On the topic of in-jokes in the material. It's purely personal opinion, but I think there were a few too many in-jokes in the Seattle section. When reading it, I'll admit I spent more time hunting for easter eggs and less time really focusing on the setting. It got a bit distracting.

But, on the other hand, in-jokes highlight a weakness in my own writing. I'm pretty terrible at them. Early Shadowrun books had a recognizable quirkiness to them, creating lasting jokes like NERPS. There isn't much of that quirkiness in the Hong Kong setting, because I'm not so great at writing it.

I'm going to slightly disagree here. Back when the original Seattle material was written, what you're referring to was straight humor, not in-jokes. In-jokes connotate a joke only the insiders will get; back then, there weren't any real insiders. As material has developed over the years, new players coming in and old ones dropping out, the population who can get these references gets smaller and smaller. Thus, they become in-jokes.

AH is a major Shadowrun trivia buff. If there's a fault here, it's that he forgot that the rest of us aren't, as well. Many of these jokes would be funny to those of us who've been around since 1989; there's just too many of them, which can confuse newer players and annoy older ones.
casarez
QUOTE (Cain)
Let's try Philadelphia, then:

Granted, I've only been to Philadelphia for a week, twenty five years ago, but that still seems to fit in a literary sense. That is, everything still makes sense with only a cut-and-paste job on the names. I don't know the local flavor, landmarks, or anything else to add; but then again, the lack of added stuff is the point of this debate.

You know what Cain? I am willing to concede that the specific sections on elections could probably be anywhere since elections happen anywhere if you also change "Governor" to "Mayor" since the Governor of PA resides in Harrisburg. Oh and change one of the candidates since Mayorship of a city in the UCAS that is not Seattle (Which is now a Governorship anyways) would not be a realistic goal of someone who tried to be President of the UCAS. You will also need to remove the "increased hostility from NAN" since the Mayor of Philly would not be worrying about that.

The thing is in the SR world the Governorship of Seattle is a bit unique to Seattle. this is due to Seattle being a UCAS land surrounded by non-UCAS lands. Normally Governorship is state related not city related. The fact that Seattle is permitted it's own international diplomatic corps, and can make trade deals, also speaks volumes on how powerful the Governorship of Seattle is compared to the Governorship of Maine (or Pennsylvania). I can see why someone who wanted to be the President of the UCAS would consider being Governor of Seattle. When you add in the talk of secession then this position has the ability to gain more power/status.

The above also explains why a Governor race for Seattle is actually as important as the UCAS Presidential race in the Shadowrun world.
Cain
The thing is in the SR world the Governorship of Seattle is a bit unique to Seattle. this is due to Seattle being a UCAS land surrounded by non-UCAS lands. Normally Governorship is state related not city related. The fact that Seattle is permitted it's own international diplomatic corps, and can make trade deals, also speaks volumes on how powerful the Governorship of Seattle is compared to the Governorship of Maine (or Pennsylvania). I can see why someone who wanted to be the President of the UCAS would consider being Governor of Seattle. When you add in the talk of secession then this position has the ability to gain more power/status.

The governorship of Seattle is indeed, unique to Seattle. However, the writeup isn't. As you can see by the white-out test, what should have been a strongly local plot hook is, instead, a fairly insipid example of an interchangeable setting. There are examples of writing with good local ties, such as the Arcology writeup. That one can't be transplanted so readily. But unfortunately, IMO those are the exception, not the rule. Most of the chapter is very similar to the governor's race.

Here's another one. My pet peeve, the Ork Underground. Now, in reality, the Ork Underground is based on the Seattle Underground, which came about due to the Great Fire of 1889. People simply built over the old buildings, causing an amazing series of tunnels; you can take a tour of them to this day. That took all of, what, two sentences to say? Two sentences to add a tidbit of interesting local trivia, which in turn adds an incredible local flavor to the section. Let's see how transplantable the actual section is:

The ORK UNDERGROUND
The Ork Underground is hard to define. It’s not exactly a district
of Atlanta so much as a collection of places that exist below
Atlanta’s surface—sort of a city within a city. The Underground
isn’t even all connected, and it’s constantly changing as some parts
collapse or are sealed off and new parts are added or excavated.
It’s an important part of Atlanta’s metahuman history, however,
so to help see it in all its different perspectives, I’ve asked a few
friends to give their impressions.
Titus, Ork, Sanitation Engineer:
What’s the Ork Underground? First of all, let me say right
up front that it’s become a cliché. “Oh, look—the orks have made
themselves a nice little secret place underground where they can
all live in peace and harmony away from those nasty humans and
elves.� That’s bullshit. Makes us sound like a bunch of cave dwellers
or something. Fact is, big chunks of the Underground are
open to anybody who wants to come down to visit them. If you
don’t believe me, just come by the Big Rhino or the basement of
Lordstrung’s Department Store and sign up for a tour.
You can’t generalize about the place, either—for one thing, it’s
huge, running under the streets of Downtown, Mableton, East Point
and even parts of the Barrens. It’s also not all one big interconnected
rabbit warren: there are plenty of parts you can’t get
to from other parts, and contrary to what the tourists might believe,
we’re not all one big happy family down there. To put it bluntly, the
Underground is like any other city: it’s got all types of people and all
types of places—some public, some private, some secret.

Tressa, Ork, Underground Tour Guide:
The Underground has been around a lot longer than we orks
have, but it’s true that we’ve claimed it as our own since the time
of the Night of Rage. If it weren’t for these basements and tunnels
under the city, I’m sure there would have been a lot higher
death toll than there was. To the orks, the Underground represents
many things: a sense of history; a sanctuary where we can go to
escape the prejudice that’s all too common in the surface world;
a place to share our lives and our labors with our own kind. That
doesn’t mean that we don’t want contact with the surface—many
Underground residents have jobs topside and count many people
of other metatypes among their friends—just that it’s comforting
to have a place where we feel we belong. Not all orks feel that way,
of course, but for those who do, the Underground is a godsend.
That’s why I enjoy my job so much: I love teaching people about
our history, giving them another view of orks from the one they see
all too many times up top.

Luke, Ork, Dockworker:
You want to know what the Underground is to me? This is
going to sound shallow, but it’s a place where I can find stuff designed
for orks. You ever try to find a suit or even a pair of jeans
topside that fits an ork body right? Sure, you can do it if you look
around, but in the Underground all the stores cater to us. The markets
have the kind of food we like (including real meat), the clothing
stores have stuff that fits us, and the furniture stores sell chairs
and beds designed for our size and weight. It gets old sometimes
that in Atlanta proper, “human� is the standard and everything else
is special, especially if you want to buy nice things and not junk.
Maybe you might think it’s a small thing, but ask any ork and
they’ll tell you that it’s not so small when you have to live it.

> He’s right—if you’re an ork (or a troll), the Underground is the best
place to shop for just about everything that needs to be sized properly.
I recommend a clothing store called Tusk—it’s right near the
Lordstrung’s entrance in the public area. They not only sell casual
clothes for both men and women, but you can actually get nice suits
and formalwear there that fit so you don’t look like a thug. And of
particular interest to ork and troll runners: Tusk also deals in largersized
body armor, new and used. It’s not right out front, but if you
ask about it, old Grundy can set you up right.
>Butch

“Crash,� Human, Shadowrunner
I know a lot of non-orks (especially humans and elves) like to
go on about how tough it is to get around in the Underground if
you’re not an ork or a troll, but it’s not nearly as bad as they say—at
least not for shadowrunners. This place is a haven for runners as
long as you respect the residents, pay them for their trouble, and
keep their secrets. If you make an effort to befriend folks down
there, it’ll pay dividends next time you have to hide out, stash some
hot stuff, or even smuggle goods or people from one part of Atlanta
to the other. In general, the Underground residents are pretty
favorable to runners—probably because we get the short end of
society’s stick same as they do. If you’re an ork runner, all the better.
Some of my best friends live down there, and I can’t count the
number of times we’ve saved each other’s asses.

See what I mean? I just transplanted the whole thing to Atlanta, while only changing 8 words. Put those two sentences in, and suddenly I can't do that. Add just a few more words to tie things in locally, and now the Ork Underground is firmly locked in Seattle. Inestead of being "an attitude", which could belong anywhere.
Simon May
QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 30 2007, 04:05 PM)
The Ork Underground is based on the Seattle Underground, which came about due to the Great Fire of 1889.  People simply built over the old buildings, causing an amazing series of tunnels; you can take a tour of them to this day.

"The Ork Underground is based on the Atlanta Underground, which came about due to the Great Fire of 1889. People simply built over the old buildings, causing an amazing series of tunnels; you can take a tour of them to this day."

Sorry, Cain, but anything can be changed if someone doesn't know about it. I have no idea whether there was actually a fire in Seattle. Do I care? Not really. Would I know the difference if it talked about the great fire of Chicago or the great fire of Hong Kong or the great fire of Katmandu? Not without some serious research. For the vast majority of people, myself included, our knowledge of history isn't so strong that we're bothered by the minutiae that make a locale specific. These books are about creating a setting, whether or not it's interchangeable.

Does the Seattle section do a good job of giving someone unfamiliar with the game a setting to play in? A fairly good job in my mind. Sure, it could have a few more specifics and a few less "inside" jokes, but overall, it's successful in what it sets out to do.

To be honest, I'd rather have more local flavor in the Seattle section as well, but complaining about it and cutting and pasting over and over isn't going to change the book or make your point any clearer. It's been made and made well about five times already. I think it may be time to move on.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Simon May)
To be honest, I'd rather have more local flavor in the Seattle section as well, but complaining about it and cutting and pasting over and over isn't going to change the book or make your point any clearer. It's been made and made well about five times already. I think it may be time to move on.

Agreed; the pungent scent of necroequisadism is starting to waft up from this topic...
martindv
QUOTE (blood_kite @ Oct 30 2007, 12:22 PM)
Having lived in Atlanta for 18 years I could easily see it describing a 2070 Atlanta if you just take out the line about an ocean breeze.

Wait a minute. Is it really an ocean breeze if the ocean is on the other side of the Sound and the Olympic Peninsula?

Oh, Cain: You might want to make an ninth change and make the Great Fire of 1889 be the razing of Atlanta during the Civil War. *Bam* site-specific.
martindv
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Agreed; the pungent scent of necroequisadism is starting to waft up from this topic...

I really like the muñeca fixer group in Caracas, though I wish I thought of it first.
raggedhalo
As someone who's never even been to the USA, much less Seattle in particular, I found the Seattle section of Runner Havens a useful extension of info I'd gotten from the Seattle Sourcebook and New Seattle. Brackhaven's return, in particular, really caught my eye.
Blade
Changing name of cities with names of other cities isn't funny. Why not try to change every word longer than 4 characters to the 5th word after it in the dictionary? Or with a word taken out from a synonym dictionary?

Seattle, ten years subsequently. Approaching back to my far-off cradle is a bodily process of fresh air in many implementation. So, the  Eastern Malayo-Polynesian wind that accept me at the socialist economy landing field is only the happening. More than four million feelings call Seattle family, but only one can call itself its politician.

We got your point Cain, you can try all UCAS cities in Alphabetical order (maybe that's what you wanted to start with Atlanta, but I guess there are a few cities before) but maybe it's time to move on.
casarez
So...does anyone want to fill me in on the easter eggs I obviously missed? smile.gif
Penta
Actually...About Seattle's "having the ability to undertake its own foreign relations"...

1. If I remember correctly, isn't the UCAS constitution more or less a cut-and-paste of the US one? (I think even the amendments are the same, up until the...13th is the SIN Amendment (ironically)?)
2. In such an instance, how in the hell is such an ability constitutional? I believe the Constitution -really clearly- reserves foreign relations powers to the Federal government?
3. If an amendment of that sort could be passed, it'd mean that *all* of the states have the ability to conduct their own foreign relations. Which...Well, Articles of Confederation, I'm looking at you.

(In other words, maybe a Supreme Court decision to retcon that piece of stupid would be good.)
Cain
QUOTE (raggedhalo)
As someone who's never even been to the USA, much less Seattle in particular, I found the Seattle section of Runner Havens a useful extension of info I'd gotten from the Seattle Sourcebook and New Seattle. Brackhaven's return, in particular, really caught my eye.

That leads into the question of how many in-jokes and prior references is appropriate. IMO, the Seattle material is only really useful when you've got the previous Seattle SB's to fall back on. How do total newcomers feel? Especially now that the presence of all those easter eggs has been revealed?
martindv
QUOTE (Penta @ Oct 31 2007, 12:48 PM)
Actually...About Seattle's "having the ability to undertake its own foreign relations"...

1. If I remember correctly, isn't the UCAS constitution more or less a cut-and-paste of the US one? (I think even the amendments are the same, up until the...13th is the SIN Amendment (ironically)?)

QUOTE (U.S. Constitution Article I Sec. cool.gif
The Congress shall have power to

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

If the Congress can permit states to form compacts among each others (this means you, New England Dairy Compact), I think that granting Seattle power to conduct commerce under Congress' authority is perfectly acceptable.

All it really would do is give Seattle contract-making authority to foreign trade offices that many states (and cities) already have established overseas now without having to go through Congress for every little deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012