Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book Club: Runner Havens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Simon May
QUOTE (Penta)
3. If an amendment of that sort could be passed, it'd mean that *all* of the states have the ability to conduct their own foreign relations. Which...Well, Articles of Confederation, I'm looking at you.

Seattle isn't considered a state and therefore doesn't need an amendment to change its functionality. Instead, it functions like an autonomous principality, much in the same way that Puerto Rico and Guam benefit from, but are not liable to, many federal laws.
casarez
QUOTE (Cain)
That leads into the question of how many in-jokes and prior references is appropriate. IMO, the Seattle material is only really useful when you've got the previous Seattle SB's to fall back on. How do total newcomers feel? Especially now that the presence of all those easter eggs has been revealed?

It does not bother me to be honest. Although now that I know they are there I just want them explained out of curiosity more than anything else.
Cain
Istanbul
Aside from the obvious "They Must Be Giants" joke, I had some of the same problems I had with Seattle in this section, but to a much smaller extent. There's a fair amount about what makes Istanbul a unique city, but much of that is buried under descriptions designed for you to make your own Middle-Eastern Islamic city. For example, a Grand Bazaar forms the heart of many Middle Eastern cities.

This doesn't bug me as much as Seattle, however. First of all, this is a short-shot, so there's simply no way you can convey as much flavor in six pages or so. Second, the shorts are meant to provide idea frameworks, not core settings. So, having this section be a data mine doesn't pose so much of a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012