Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TrollTown: Land ownership in the Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jaid
well sure, but why bother infiltrating anything? this is the barrens. you could firebomb their buildings with incendiary grenades dropped from a renraku stormcloud and as long as the fire doesn't spread to anyplace that someone cares about, no one would object. particularly if LS provided evidence (fabricated or otherwise) that the group was a threat to the people who do have SINs.

like i said, unless we're talking about something like the yaks, the vory, the seoulpa rings, or other similarly large criminal organisations, no one bothers to infiltrate. if a go-gang is causing LS enough problems for LS to warrant actually taking action against them, then the go-gang isn't going to be infiltrated, they're going to be shot. if LS decides that it's time to take out a BTL production facility so that they look good, they just go do it. they don't infiltrate the group responsible.

now if we're talking about a facility owned by one of the big criminal organisations, that's another thing entirely... but in that case, they more likely make a deal with the organisation (i'm sure there's plenty of smaller operations the yaks wouldn't mind losing, especially if they get to know in advance the time and place so they can choose who is in the facility when it is busted, and especially if it means LS looks the other way at a critical time later on).
FrankTrollman
Interestingly, I myself happen to live in an Eastern European cyberpunk dystopia. There are gangs of Nazis here that I would like to remove and police response is slow. How would you go about it?

-Frank
kzt
Large car bomb outside Sparta on Hitler's Birthday? Perhaps a little too non-selective?
Stahlseele
pick them off one by one . . they're pretty pathetic if they are not in the group mind, most of the time . . and the others get to feel that nice:"i could be next" feeling . .
alternatively, get gangs from different offspring (turkish, russian, african etc.) together and let the nazisd shovel their own grave by being themselves . . AntiFa is a nice thing to know too . . or some rocker gangs like the hells angels . . yes, we have those over here in germany/hamburg . . they are not too fond of them either most of the time . . Metalheads,Gothic, Punks . . heck, even hoppers unite against them on ocassion x.x . .
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Interestingly, I myself happen to live in an Eastern European cyberpunk dystopia. There are gangs of Nazis here that I would like to remove and police response is slow. How would you go about it?

-Frank

Give them copies of this Chick Tract, which clearly explains that the Nazi party was a pawn of the Roman Catholic Church (aka The Whore of Babylon), which is run by the AntiChrist (aka the Pope) and tricks people into worshiping Satan via Mary.
martindv
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 18 2007, 02:38 PM)
it's not that LS *can't* destroy the Ancients, it's that it's cheaper not to.

The same Ancients who used to, along with other smaller go-gangs like the Eye-Fivers, regularly tear apart every Metroplex Guard unit sent after them?
Critias
Just because a good-sized pack of gangers can take on a small patrol of ___________ (Lone Star, Metroplex Guard, or even another gang) doesn't mean they're invincible. Torgo's Spikes are said to occasionally take potshots at Tir Border Patrol units for fun -- does that mean they could take on the entire Tir Peace Force and win?

In the same vein -- the Ancients can gang up (pun intended) and take out lots of folks, if they want to. They could take a good chunk of Lone Star, if Lone Star came at them piecemeal. But that doesn't mean Lone Star couldn't wipe them out (or at least make them scatter and lay low like nobody's business) if they put their minds and assets to it.
Slump
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 18 2007, 05:45 PM)

-Frank

Give them copies of this Chick Tract, which clearly explains that the Nazi party was a pawn of the Roman Catholic Church (aka The Whore of Babylon), which is run by the AntiChrist (aka the Pope) and tricks people into worshiping Satan via Mary.

Great, now my brain hurts.
Jaid
.... you didn't know who jack chick was before reading that, did you?
HappyDaze
well sure, but why bother infiltrating anything? this is the barrens. you could firebomb their buildings with incendiary grenades dropped from a renraku stormcloud and as long as the fire doesn't spread to anyplace that someone cares about, no one would object.

I don't think the Barrens is quite as bad as you make it out to be. It has a mayor and taxpayers and infrastructure. While all of these are a far cry from the high standards of other parts of the plex, the Barrens are not truly urban wasteland. Besides, the publicity in openly causing mass death to anyone - even a street gang - is hell on the PR.
Critias
I think you're mistaken, Happy. On several counts.
HappyDaze
Such as?

I know that both of the Seeattle Barrens have mayors. They have power and water (typically rationed per lifestyle descriptions). They have a population of which fully 25% are SINners. They even have Matrix access (spotty at times) and GridGuide (OK - the last is said to have some patchy coverage). They also have fire departments and - yes - police.

Where's my mistake?
Critias
Your mistake is that I think you have Puyallup and the Puyallup Barrens (and the same with Redmond) confused.

There are parts of Redmond and Puyallup with power and water (the legal and official kind). There are parts of them that have Matrix access, and that the fire departments and security contractors go to. There are parts of them that aren't "E" rated by Lone Star. Each has (last I checked) about two neighborhoods listed as "Low Class" instead of "Squatter" (the other 5-6 portions of it).

So maybe you're focusing on those bright spots -- that are almost like today's inner cities -- instead of the rest of them, like the mall that's been taken over by black marketeers and the open-air landfill with thousands of people living in makeshift huts...
HappyDaze
That still doesn't change the fact that most people don't want to think of 'their cops' going out and engaging in mass killings. We humans don't really accept that in our military today and we'll never accept it from 'peace officers' - assuming that any attempts to keep the SR setting believable are maintained (I often feel it's too far gone to be worth the effort).
Critias
That's why, in Shadowrun, "their cops" don't tell anyone about the mass killings.

People without SINs aren't just "undocumented workers" (or whatever it's trendy to call them this week). In Shadowrun, they simply aren't there. If you haven't got a number, and you aren't in the system? It's open season. There's no reason but basic human decency not to kill you if you're causing trouble -- and in Shadowrun, basic human decency isn't trendy any more.

Saying things like "we humans" is a little silly, too. You and I and anyone else with reliable enough internet access to get onto Dumpshock and talk to one another have no more than a passing knowledge of just what sort of nonsense "we humans" are really capable of. Just because our happy little suburban soccer moms don't want our cops and soldiers out mowing down every motherfucker in the next village certainly doesn't mean the rest of the world holds human life in the same esteem. Seventy years from now, who knows?

All we can do is go by the canon setting -- which has clearly established that the sort of thing mfb is talking about happens all the time. And, personally, I don't think that particular grim aspect of it is as far fetched as your average gamer, with food in his belly and a roof over his head and leisure time and excess money to waste on a worthless hobby that doesn't in any way contribute to his day-to-day survival, might like to think. We're all pretty soft, in the greater scheme of things, compared to the folks that exist in Shadowrun (especially in the Barrens).
HappyDaze
All we can do is go by the canon setting -- which has clearly established that the sort of thing mfb is talking about happens all the time.

I disagree. The canon setting doesn't have all that many examples of large-scale massacres of the SINless. It may happen on rare occasion, but I don't believe that it's as common as you would have it be.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Nov 19 2007, 02:22 AM)
We humans don't really accept that in our military today

I do. I wish we're do it more often, in fact. If we just killed everyone and let Allah sort them out we'd be finished with Iraq right now and would have saved billions of dollars.
Not saying that it would be moral, but it would be cost-efficient.

I imagine that the cops could rather easily adopt the Tarkin Doctrine without complaint, mainly due to the fact that those who complain, and their entire extended families, would be killed.

However, they won't go into the BArrens simply because it is too much trouble. The entire point of them is the containment of the undesirables. They'll simply set up a perimeter and kill anyone who attempts to flee the troll takeover.
Mercer
The problem with the Tarkin Doctrine is the more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Mercer)
The problem with the Tarkin Doctrine is the more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers.

The funny thing being that the Empire never really tightened its grip, the vast majority of systems were fully self-governing, only those which actively engaged in or supported terrorism were targeted.

The whole rebellion was pretty much a plot conceit.
Critias
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
All we can do is go by the canon setting -- which has clearly established that the sort of thing mfb is talking about happens all the time.

I disagree. The canon setting doesn't have all that many examples of large-scale massacres of the SINless. It may happen on rare occasion, but I don't believe that it's as common as you would have it be.

I'm not saying the Star rolls two hundred guys into Redmond every Tuesday night with an HMG and a six pack of beer apiece. I'm saying they could, and other than individual people fighting back (up to and including the gang level), there's not a damned thing anyone could or would or does do about it -- who do you go to complain to? It's not-people dying. It's the "cops" doing it (whether it be Lone Star, KE, or any other security force).

They don't do it because there's normally no reason to do so, no profit in it, all kinds of expenditures (of ammo, if absolutely nothing else), and because there's always the chance they'll take out someone important who's going slumming, and they won't be able to -- quite, this time -- cover the whole thing up. No one cares when they do go do it because they spin it right, go in fast and hard, and take out those who deserve it (folks who kill cops, folks who've pulled a high profile job, a gang known for horrible body counts, whatever).

They do it when it's justified, and they're able to either cover it up or spin it so that no one cares -- but the odds are no one would care very much even if they didn't bother.

The corps spend trillions of nuyen every year on propaganda, controlling the media, and essentially mind control. Take the current attitude in America concerning Muslim extremists and/or illegal aliens, and multiply it by a hundred. Then grow up hearing it your whole life, every day, all day, from the get-go. At school, from your parents, in every commercial, around the water cooler at work, in memos at work, on the news, the news, the news...Your average SINner hears his whole life about how nothing but bloodshed, disease, gang violence, devil rats, and ghouls come out of the Barrens.

You think he's even gonna bat an eye to hear about Lone Star wiping out some "gang hideout" or "criminal den" or "BTL factory" or whatever, if it even makes the news? Not any more than your average American or European bats an eye when we hear about Joe Terrorist getting blown up over in the Gulf by Blackwater.

I think you're (1) overestimating the power of human empathy in a dystopian setting like Shadowrun, and (2) underestimating that dystopian setting itself.

You've got to look at all this horrible "facist" stuff that people are seeing happen today -- gun seizures, wiretaps, people disappearing, whatever -- and take all that and every conspiracy theory you can think of and triple or quadruple it. Then toss in magic, point out that in a place like Seattle there's more than just one government doing all the disappearing, add metaracism to increase the apathy level, and then double what you've got left, to fit the setting.

You can gloss it over or sugar coat it or try to tell yourself Shadowrun's not much different than today, if you want to -- but that's simply not so. Corporate security gets away with things that would make the most steely-eyed Blackwater "mercenary" vomit, and no one cares in 2070 as long as it's happening to someone else. Especially if that "someone else" isn't even in any system to begin with, so there's no legal record of them dying except for someone's ammunition expenditure.
Stahlseele
Torgo's Spikes are said to occasionally take potshots at Tir Border Patrol units for fun -- does that mean they could take on the entire Tir Peace Force and win?

Torgos Spikes? O.o Really? o.O
I'd thought it were the Disassemblers . . you know, that big Troll-Biker gang with heavy weapons and magic stuff on bikes who declared that road leading between Tir and Seattle to be their turf? hrm . . i just thought of something . . what would happen, if the Disassemblers and the Spikes were to form an alliance? x.x
imperialus
In the news today. *Show scene of citymasters and helicopters rolling out of LS HQ* Lone Star heroically undertook a mission into the heart of the Redmond Barrens to rescue the kidnapped daughter of (corp exec #23432) *flash a precocious picture*. Unfortunately the kidnappers had recruited the aid of (barrens gang #324) and the police were attacked *cut to scene of street battle*. We now have an exclusive interview with (officer #75482) *while riot scene continues to show in a smaller picture*.

So Captain what happened?
Well we were rolling down 5th street when we came under attack by military grade small arms fire. Naturally we responded in kind and after 2 hours of hard fighting we rescued little miss _____.
It sounds like these gangs are really a plague on our society, what is Lone Star doing about it.
Unfortunately Ma'am they're very well equipped and desperate. The best we can usually do is respond to them when they take actions that harm the citizens of Seattle. Perhaps with more funding we'd be able to raise the security rating of the so called "barrens" but we simply don't have the manpower.

And now in Sports...

Now you have to ask yourself, was there really a cute little girl kidnapped? If the cops really wanted her back unharmed why go in guns blazing? In reality there was no little girl. The gang had simply been starting to work outside of the barrens and LS decided that it was time to remind the shitheels that live in Redmond who's really in charge. They roll in full force and start gunning down anyone out in the streets. It's good training for the FRT's and Riot Control teaches them how to work together and if a few officers die? Well that's why they have death benefits. It also suggests that LS is doing something and reminds people that the teeming masses of SINless are just waiting to batter down their ivory towers.

I figure something like this happens once a year or so.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (imperialus)
In the news today. *Show scene of citymasters and helicopters rolling out of LS HQ* Lone Star heroically undertook a mission into the heart of the Redmond Barrens to rescue the kidnapped daughter of (corp exec #23432) *flash a precocious picture*. Unfortunately the kidnappers had recruited the aid of (barrens gang #324) and the police were attacked *cut to scene of street battle*. We now have an exclusive interview with (officer #75482) *while riot scene continues to show in a smaller picture*.

So Captain what happened?
Well we were rolling down 5th street when we came under attack by military grade small arms fire. Naturally we responded in kind and after 2 hours of hard fighting we rescued little miss _____.
It sounds like these gangs are really a plague on our society, what is Lone Star doing about it.
Unfortunately Ma'am they're very well equipped and desperate. The best we can usually do is respond to them when they take actions that harm the citizens of Seattle. Perhaps with more funding we'd be able to raise the security rating of the so called "barrens" but we simply don't have the manpower.

And now in Sports...

Now you have to ask yourself, was there really a cute little girl kidnapped? If the cops really wanted her back unharmed why go in guns blazing? In reality there was no little girl. The gang had simply been starting to work outside of the barrens and LS decided that it was time to remind the shitheels that live in Redmond who's really in charge. They roll in full force and start gunning down anyone out in the streets. It's good training for the FRT's and Riot Control teaches them how to work together and if a few officers die? Well that's why they have death benefits. It also suggests that LS is doing something and reminds people that the teeming masses of SINless are just waiting to batter down their ivory towers.

I figure something like this happens once a year or so.

*steals for future use*
imperialus
yeah, you can get some really interesting reactions out of PC's when they just happen to get caught up in a raid like that. The first reaction of PC's in Shadowrun tends to assume that the cops are out for them personally. It rarely enters their minds that they might have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Think something like Food Fight cranked up to 11.
Adarael
Just to back up Critias, Happy... there are large swaths of the Redmond barrens into which no law enforcement will go, ever. A z-zone means that no cops go there, no metroplex guard goes there, NOBODY official goes there unless there are large and repeated explosions that make it sound like it's being shelled. When they do, they go en masse with tanks and support aircraft, like they're invading Burma for the glory of the British Empire.

I think any zone which is Z rated or even borders on Z is as bad as it can get.
HappyDaze
Just to back up Critias, Happy... there are large swaths of the Redmond barrens into which no law enforcement will go, ever. A z-zone means that no cops go there, no metroplex guard goes there, NOBODY official goes there unless there are large and repeated explosions that make it sound like it's being shelled. When they do, they go en masse with tanks and support aircraft, like they're invading Burma for the glory of the British Empire.

The continuing existance of such areas is yet another stretch in SR's believability. There's simply too much to gain from eliminating such a blight, and you even make it soun as if the power that be have the capability to accomplish it whenever. All the reasons they give for not doing so are pretty crap, but what do you expect of a game line that never really got past the 80s and can't accept that sometimes *good things* can happen as easily as bad (we have to stay so dystoptian it hurts - oooh). Dumb.
imperialus
Not nessesarally. Look at the slums in Rio (or watch City of God). They are literally walled off from the rest of the city and the cops don't go in to them without attack choppers and APC's. Johannesburg has the same thing. Z zones already exist. I see no reason why they wouldn't spread.

Really, how would you propose they "deal" with the barrens short of a fuel air bomb or tactical nuke.
Whipstitch
To quote the very first paragrah about the Barrens section of Redmond in the SR3 New Seattle sourcebook: "Aside from a few remarkable cases, Redmond is a seething mass of violence waiting to explode."

That's it. The whole first paragraph is but a single line cordoned off for emphasis, and the only thing that it tells you is that the Barrens are a very, very bad place indeed. These incidents between the Barrens gangs and the 'Star are uncommon only because nobody in their right mind wants to bother with this shit in the first place. Just look at the Crash Zone situation back in the '60s. Some cybered up combat monster calling himself King Chrome leads a whole prison population in a mass jailbreak and commandeers a slice of the Barrens and the remains of a corporate court spacecraft. The local government's solution? Stick their heads under the sand and hope the problem would just sort itself out. Is it silly? Sure, but that's how the setting works.
HappyDaze
Really, how would you propose they "deal" with the barrens short of a fuel air bomb or tactical nuke.

According to some, these tactics are perfectly acceptable. Add in field tests of your newest nerve agents and have a Barrens-wide scaveger-hunt with a squad of cyberzombies while you're at it. Lastly don't forget the old wage mage memo:

Attn: All magicians employed by (Corp X).

Every day this week, at sunrise, you are required to summon and send a single spirit - of the highest force you are safely rated to summon - on remote service to (location) and instruct it to kill every metahuman it finds there. You will be allowed an extra 30 minute break to rest after the summoning. Thank you for you prompt response.

So, if we assume that 0.05% of a corp's employees are magicians, this means 1 spirit per 2,000 employees. For many of the megas, that would be easily in excess of 100 or more spirits raiding the town every damn day. Yeah, it's stupid, but why the fuck not.
Whipstitch
Because they won't make any money that way, they'll just tie up one of their most valuable resources every day for an hour or two and weaken their own security in the process . Also, some corps still keep some sweatshop style manufacturing facilities in that hazy buffer between Touristville and the worst of the Barrens. All those desperate SINless make for an easily abused labor pool provided you can build a facility sturdy enough to survive life in the Barrens, and as a bonus there's really nobody out there in a position to call you out if you happen to do something enviromentally unsound. All you have to do then is airlift things in and out via rotodrones. It truly doesn't matter to anyone important how many people die out there in the Barrens as long as the financial tradeoffs are acceptable.
imperialus
Not only that but unfortunately the barrens can fight back. The old sourcebooks would talk about various go-gangs taking on the metroplex guard and basically winning. Though the cannon doesn't support this I expect that if the "man" ever wiped out the entire population of a given barrens area there would be massive riots across the globe that would do stupid amounts of damage to the other major plexes. Big ass riots cut into profits too. Sure Ares could wipe Redmond off the map, hell a decent sized thor shot would do it, but then the gangs from Pulallup would probably literally declare war on the rest of Seattle. It's a lot tougher to kill everyone at once when suddenly they're mixed in with the regular citizens. And that doesn't even begin to take into consideration the reactions of other slums in other plexes.

To take it even one step further, remember that nasty background counts are a very real threat in Shadowrun. If such an idea came up at a board meeting I'm sure someone would point out that the sudden extermination of tens of thousands of people might just cause some Very Bad magical crap to happen. Even if the board members don't know the details of stuff like the horrors, invid and what not they'll know enough to realize that they exist and mass murder is a pretty good way to get their attention.
pbangarth
Shedim City.
imperialus
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 19 2007, 12:45 PM)
Shedim City.

exactly. I can promise you that Lone Star would rather have the Spikes as neighbors than ten or fifteen thousand Shedim.
Critias
I think the biggest thing to remember about Shadowrun's Barrens is that they aren't ghettos, or urban blights, or inner cities like we know them. They are our 1980's nightmares about ghettos, urban blights, and inner cities.

For better or worse, that's just how they are right there in canon. "Believable" or not. *shrugs*
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (imperialus)
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 19 2007, 12:45 PM)
Shedim City.

exactly. I can promise you that Lone Star would rather have the Spikes as neighbors than ten or fifteen thousand Shedim.

No, you can promise YOU wouldn't want them as your neighbors, you racist.

Seriously, though, Shadowrun's a lot more interesting when the opposition is opposition, and not the Enemy, or some other unquestionably evil entity. It's not gritty unless all your opponents are, like the PCs themselves, questionably evil.
imperialus

No, you can promise YOU wouldn't want them as your neighbors, you racist.

Seriously, though, Shadowrun's a lot more interesting when the opposition is opposition, and not the Enemy, or some other unquestionably evil entity. It's not gritty unless all your opponents are, like the PCs themselves, questionably evil.

Does this make any sense to anyone? You do know what a Shedim is right? And that if there were such a thing as Shedim city they would be an unquestionably evil entity. Or are you trying to say that Shedim, like insect spirits are just misunderstood?
Whipstitch
He's joking in the first line.
Whipstitch
doh, double posted.

I fail at the internet.
CircuitBoyBlue
The first part of that was facetious. I don't usually start sentences with "Seriously..." unless it's a departure from something that wasn't serious.
imperialus
Fair enough, I thought I might have been missing a tongue firmly planted in a cheek.
Tarantula
Not to mention, said background count would probably take out most spirits said corp sent once it got strong enough.
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 19 2007, 07:50 PM)
I'd thought it were the Disassemblers . . you know, that big Troll-Biker gang with heavy weapons and magic stuff on bikes who declared that road leading between Tir and Seattle to be their turf?

What are you talking about?

QUOTE (Runner Havens g. 90)
Disassemblers
Turf: Downtown, South Seattle
Colors: Gray and White
These guys are bad news, and their power level is growing steadily as they move up alongside their sponsors, Tamanous. Identified by the painted or tattooed skulls on their faces, the Disassemblers are the Tammies’ front lines, hunting down and securing bodies and body parts for the organlegging trade and not really caring much about whether the bodies in question are still occupied by their current owner. The gang runs most of the illegal chop shops on their turf, and they’ve got “agreements� with local hospitals to provide a steady stream of body parts.
martindv
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 19 2007, 04:43 AM)
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Nov 19 2007, 02:39 AM)

I'm not saying the Star rolls two hundred guys into Redmond every Tuesday night with an HMG and a six pack of beer apiece. I'm saying they could, and other than individual people fighting back (up to and including the gang level), there's not a damned thing anyone could or would or does do about it -- who do you go to complain to? It's not-people dying. It's the "cops" doing it (whether it be Lone Star, KE, or any other security force).

Well, consider the quintessential act of urban pacification in Shadowrun: The assault on El Infierno. Lone Star officers from other countries were sent in to bust skulls and collect scalps along with soldiers, corpsec and half the LAPD.

And let's not forget, El Infierno isn't a walled neighborhood. It's not slums. It's several cities with a wall around them. When they went in, they all went in with one goal in mind--to kill as many people as possible. And when the last cop and soldier and corpcop corp soldier rolled out in their APC, did anyone care? No. They're SINless; they're terrorists; they're poor; and they are criminals. Screw 'em.

Even better, look at Munich. It wasn't the terrorist release of VITAS on metahuman refugees that killed and wounded the most--it was when Renraku went in to secure the area by killing everyone.
Penta
Munich?

...That definitely sounds like something only in the German-language sourcebooks.

Tell more, please?
JBlades
In the discussion about why the barrens might be allowed to exist, I think it's important to remember one thing about corp extraterritoriality that is often overlooked: taxes and corporate citizens.

If I am a corporate citizen of Renraku living in the arcology on Renraku land, I don't pay taxes to Seattle. If anything, I pay taxes to Renraku, and Renraku pays taxes to the UCAS (which they make sure to keep low and find lots of loopholes for through bribery to UCAS politicians). As soon as corp extraterritoriality went through in the current form, revenue for government entities dropped through the bottom of the barrel. The government no longer has huge reserves of cash in the way it does today to do things like pay for military operations and civic reconstruction after disasters. On top of that, the UCAS has lost more than 75% of it's tax base to the formation of the CAS, NAN, and Tir.

There quite simply may not be any money to pay for cleaning up the barrens!
martindv
Munich was referenced in Shadows of Europe and State of the Art 2064.

Short explanation based off the top of my head: Nationale Aktion released an airborne version of VITAS into the Olympic Stadium in Munich, which was being used as a refuge for mostly metahumans. Due to the chaos that resulted, including the deaths of relief workers and fears of an outbreak into the city, Renraku security went in and kicked ass.
Mercer
QUOTE (JBlades)
There quite simply may not be any money to pay for cleaning up the barrens!

This is a particularly good point. In dystopian cyberpunk societies, people just don't leave money lying aroung. The only way (or anyway, the main way) the Barrens make sense in the context of the system is if it would cost more to get rid of them than it costs to exist, or if the Barrens themselves are a source of revenue. Since we know the Barrens exist, we know someone is probably making money off of them.
CircuitBoyBlue
Not even necessarily making money. Just as long as they're not losing money. Actually, not even that. Just as long as they're not losing more money than they'd lose getting rid of the barrens.
Mercer
I agree CBB, but the point I was driving towards was that the longer something endures, the more likely its profitable for someone. The SINless are a highly exploitable workforce, and the majority of them tend to be consumers. They're a tax base without representation. The government doesn't even have to waste money providing them with basic services. Even if someone showed up and said they could get rid of the Barrens and the SINless no questions asked, no fuss no muss, for the low low price of 1 nuyen there would still be more of a financial incentive in preserving the status quo.
Glyph
But why would the powers that be want to get rid of the Barrens? They are a convenient place to dump all of the poor people that it would be too inconvenient to take care of, and as a bonus you have a place to exile society's undesirables. And you exploit this population by running sweatshops and heavy industry without environmental or worker safeguards. Plus, there is a thriving black market as goods move between Seattle, the NAN, and the Tir. Not to mention, it's also the equivalent of a red light district for the most degenerate and dangerous of vices for slumming suits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012