Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone recognize these guns?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fresno Bob
Vash's gun is incorrectly modeled in that...and I've always figured his gun was a bit large to be firing just .45 Colt.
Fortune
QUOTE (Voorhees)
On a side note, what the hell is this thing?

Sold Out! eek.gif
Ol' Scratch
...and HALF THE WEAPONS ARE HUGEARSE COMPENSATION DEVICES!!!

Well, most ofit does comes from Japan. Popular public opinion is that they tend to have a lot to compensate for, so it makes sense. nyahnyah.gif
Phaeton
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Nov 28 2003, 08:59 PM)
...and HALF THE WEAPONS ARE HUGEARSE COMPENSATION DEVICES!!!

Well, most ofit does comes from Japan. Popular public opinion is that they tend to have a lot to compensate for, so it makes sense. nyahnyah.gif

biggrin.gif grinbig.gif rotfl.gif Fair enough. But dang. Vash's gun in .454 Casuli. Mmmmm...

Edit: Wait. Nevermind. There IS a reason for the thing's being so huge. My friend told me. grinbig.gif
Austere Emancipator
But then the Desert Eagle (and everything else Magnum Research has done), LAR Grizzly (and everything else LAR has done), Barrett, etc. all come from the good ole US of A. And surely you guys have nothing to compensate for, eh? wink.gif

I'll chalk the anime and anime guns thingies down to the japanese being insane, and when I say insane I mean frothy-mouthed, gibbering, absolutely f***ing apeshit. But in a good way. biggrin.gif
Phaeton
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Nov 28 2003, 09:15 PM)
But then the Desert Eagle (and everything else Magnum Research has done), LAR Grizzly (and everything else LAR has done), Barrett, etc. all come from the good ole US of A. And surely you guys have nothing to compensate for, eh? wink.gif

I'll chalk the anime and anime guns thingies down to the japanese being insane, and when I say insane I mean frothy-mouthed, gibbering, absolutely f***ing apeshit. But in a good way. biggrin.gif

...That's more what I meant, I think, actually. Right on, Austere. grinbig.gif
Ol' Scratch
Yeah, at least Americans' work. biggrin.gif
Sahandrian
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
500D, -1/1km if it's a whole bullet made of antimatter. And the explosion happens at the point in which the anti-matter bullet is created.

I based it on the Phoenix from Perfect Dark (since I already converted every other gun from that game), and needed it to go from SA normal shots to powerful SS explosive shots. So since this is alien technology and I can technobabble everything away, The normal rounds are plasma bolts, and for the explosive, it creates a small antimatter pellet (less than a millimeter in size) that is held in a magnetic sheath to prevent contact with the atmosphere. Or something along those lines.

Aliens built it, so it works. And make sure you never, ever roll all 1s when firing in explosive mode.
Fresno Bob
Even a 1mm piece of antimatter would theoretically do a lot of damage... Like, 50D, -1/1km.

Also, I think that Anime is crazy because the Japanese are, in general, screwed up in the head. Anime sucks.
Raygun

Once you've figured out nuclear weapons and lasers that blow missiles out of the sky, all the rest is amusement, really. Kinda like jerking off for distance. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phaeton)
Wait. Nevermind. There IS a reason for the thing's being so huge. My friend told me.

Not THAT huge. This huge. smile.gif

I'd really like to see someone push 60k psi (per shot) out of a top-loading revolver. I think the funniest part would be reconstructing their face after the cylinder flew out and smashed it. Gotta love that anime.
Fresno Bob
Which anime is that?

...also, didn't the desert eagle originally come from Isreal? Wasn't it the IMI Desert Eagle, or am I badly mistaken?
Raygun
You're absolutely correct about that. But every cartridge that it has been made to fire (.357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .440 COR-BON Mag and .50 Action Express) was developed in the US, so we really have no escape from the little dick insinuation there. Dang. *snap*

Anime in general, I meant. Trigun in particular, I guess. (I'm not a big fan either.)
Fresno Bob
Well, the Trigun revolver fires .45 colt, which is a revolver round.

Anime does indeed, suck.
Crusher Bob
According to some random site on the net, 1 gram of antimatter is about 9.0 x 10^13 Joules, (mult by two, I think, to represent the matter destroyed as well).

1 Megaton of TNT, the same site lists as 33.3 grams of antimatter into energy or 3 x 10^15 Joules (though once again, I think they are just talking about the anti-matter, an equal amount of matter would be liberated as well, thus you would only need half as much anti-matter they list to get a boom of that size).

So one mg of anti-matter + one mg of matter should be about 60 tons of TNT love.gif . Anyone want to check my math?
Austere Emancipator
If 1 MT = 33.3grams of antimatter, then 1gram of both ~ 60,000 tons, assuming you've got everything else right. So, converting that to canon SR, 60,000,000^0.5 x 4 = 30983. 30983D, -4/m. Only the antimatter part would do 21908D, -4/m.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that Magnum Research came up with the concept of the Desert Eagle, which they then gave to IMI to refine, and then once it was almost ready MR took it back and did some finishing touches.

Or maybe that was just from one of the many, many firearms-related dreams I've had. dead.gif

Anyway, at least the Big Fu... I mean Biggest Finest Revolver is still a Magnum Research original. smile.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
The first gun is for GITS, I would guess the second one is too. Seburo MN-23 might give you a hand.

You sure? Im pretty certain Duenan is holding one on the cover of appleseed 4.

[EDIT] Just checked, Yup it's the same one[/EDIT]
nezumi
Speaking for myself, anime, like american shows, really spans the gamut. I wasn't a big fan of Evangelion (if you're going to make a giant robot killer movie, make it realistic!) I'm watching Trigun now, but mostly because its cute and funny (I've never seen it before). Its silly to watch it for the action scenes. I used to love voltron when I was a kid : )

But there are some animes which I think are very well done. Disappeared or whatever (the girl who wanders into the ghost village) was neat just because it was incredibly creative, same goes for Princess Mononoke. They had good plot, real characters and were more original than most anything I can find domestically. I also liked FLCL, for similar reasons. I personally loved Cowboy Bebop (the series, didn't see the movie). It wasn't hugely unrealistic, the characters were fun, and the Japanese, unlike us westerners, know how to make a movie about heroic failure (which I really do enjoy periodically). So I think it just depends on what you watch and why you watch it : )
Raygun
I could've sworn I read somewhere that Magnum Research came up with the concept of the Desert Eagle, which they then gave to IMI to refine, and then once it was almost ready MR took it back and did some finishing touches.

Oh, hell. You're right. US patent 4563937. Bernard White. Magnum Research, Inc. Learn something new every day. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
It does indeed span the gamut. Go watch Grave of the Fireflies. Then tell me anime sucks.
I'm tempted to give some players those guns. They'd be the ultimate weapons: anyone with a decent skill in any firearm has to roll a Willpower(8) test to not collapse laughing.

~J
Phaeton
QUOTE (nezumi)
Speaking for myself, anime, like american shows, really spans the gamut. I wasn't a big fan of Evangelion (if you're going to make a giant robot killer movie, make it realistic!) I'm watching Trigun now, but mostly because its cute and funny (I've never seen it before). Its silly to watch it for the action scenes. I used to love voltron when I was a kid : )

But there are some animes which I think are very well done. Disappeared or whatever (the girl who wanders into the ghost village) was neat just because it was incredibly creative, same goes for Princess Mononoke. They had good plot, real characters and were more original than most anything I can find domestically. I also liked FLCL, for similar reasons. I personally loved Cowboy Bebop (the series, didn't see the movie). It wasn't hugely unrealistic, the characters were fun, and the Japanese, unlike us westerners, know how to make a movie about heroic failure (which I really do enjoy periodically). So I think it just depends on what you watch and why you watch it : )

Eh. True. I like GitS and Akira myself. But maybe I'm just really frightened of Clamp-o-maniacs. Or maybe I just reaaaaaaally prefer sci-fi. Not sure.
Shockwave_IIc
Myself i like also like GitS (both the film and graphic novel) And of Appleseed (though not the film, that sucked). Cyber city 808 and Akira (would love to run cyber gen with a bunch poeple that hasn't seen Akira, like thats gonna happen).

Currently making my way through through Man machine interface, hard work, though it's likely cos im reading it an issue at a time.

Im a big fan of Shirows work, got a lot of his art books and such.
moosegod
Actually, this is one of the reasons I hate anime. The pure ridiculousness of the guns drives me away.
Kagetenshi
Then try watching something that doesn't focus on the guns.

~J
Fortune
Like all that tentacle stuff.
moosegod
And the underage girls with huge boobs.

And the eyes. The EYES!
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Fortune)
Like all that tentacle stuff.

I'd stay well away from that myself.

If your wanting semi believeable manga then Ghost in the Shell (the movie and stand alone complexe) is good and IMO very shadowrunny. Appleseed is also good for the same reasons. But i find the best storys is actually manga as apposed to anime.
Raygun
I thought some of you might be interested in seeing this if you haven't already. HK's new website has some good info on the XM8 project, video included.

For those of you who don't know, the XM8 is most likely the next US assault rifle platform, the stand-alone version of the rifle developed for the XM29 Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) due to be in service by 2009. Considering the scope of the project, the XM8 will likely wholly replace the M16/M4 series rifles in US miltary service. HK is already gearing up for production by building a manufacturing facility in Columbus, Georgia, which happens to be right next door to Fort Benning (a major US Army base).

One thing that interests me so far is that the XM8 does not (yet) appear to utilize the NATO STANAG 4179 magazine. It was a requirement of the OICW, but since they don't even mention it in the file, maybe they dropped it. Other than that, it appears that they've thought of just about everything for this thing, even caliber conversion, which is one issue I hope gets dealt with in the near future.
Crusher Bob
I've seen a few reference to being able to change the magazine well too, but I don't see them on the site you brought up. I've also seen a ref to a new casing for 5.56 under development that is supposed to be much lighter (only retains the brass baseplate/extractor rim, the rest of the case being polymer. can anyone come up with more data?).
Raygun
Yeah. HK was the company that pretty much made modular firearm design popular, so it would suprise me if they didn't offer a NATO magwell on the XM8. I know they developed one for the OICW project. What's weird to me is that it doesn't appear to be standard on the XM8.

I also recently heard something about a hybrid cartridge case for the 5.56x45mm, though I'll be damned if I can remember where. I know several different companies have been trying to develop a hybrid case for several different cartridges for quite a few years now without success.

The closest thing I could find out there is a Power Point document called "Lightweight Family of Weapons and Ammunition for the Objective Force Warrior" at the DTIC/NDIA site which gives a basic outline of the whole concept.
Phasma Felis
QUOTE (moosegod)
Actually, this is one of the reasons I hate anime. The pure ridiculousness of the guns drives me away.

Actually, this is one of the reasons I hate anime.  The pure ridiculousness of the guns drives me away.

Yeah, and I hate all American TV because the physics in Star Trek are unrealistic.

What are you talking about? Anime is a style of animation which many different shows use. It is not a single genre in itself. If you don't happen to like that style of art, then say so, don't make ridiculous generalizations based on a tiny subset of all anime.
Raygun
If you weren't a person who watched anime regularly, what do you think would you be led to believe?

Of course, you're right. Not all anime is the übertech, sniping-from-orbit-with-the-gun-that-turns-into-a-motorcycle, cute-innocent-looking-girls-kung-fu-kicking-your-mother's-small-intestines-out-and-strangling-some-super-monster-in-the-process-of-destroying-Tokyo-with-them. Just about, oh, 90% of it is. wink.gif

That said, Castle Of Cagliostro rules.
moosegod
Ok, I retract my statement.

I hate anime because it comes from the most racist and sexist First World country, the style is nothing but lazy, and nothing I've seen from it makes any sense.

Well, except for Spirits Within. That was ok.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (moosegod @ Dec 3 2003, 12:15 AM)
Well, except for Spirits Within.  That was ok.

And most people i know don't consider that anime. Thats a CG film based on a computer game which is based on anime. So no, looks like you don't like anime. But thats fine.
moosegod
Well, it's the closest I had.

Anyways, to the subject at hand-

Does anyone have any idea about the effectiveness of guns like the UMP that allow for the swapping of calibers? How easy is it? How much does accuracy and reliability suffer?

Or, does someone have a site with an in-depth discussion?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (moosegod)
the style is nothing but lazy

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... I'll assume you've never seen Akira.

~J
Kurukami
Perhaps he's basing his opinion off of fluff like Dragonball Z and Pokemon. Most of that is pretty lazy as animation effort goes.
DR.PaiN
Compelely off topic, but someone is using Raygun's chart for backing on Fark.com, check it out, like 40 or so comments down .
Dim Sum
QUOTE (moosegod)
I hate anime because it comes from the most racist and sexist First World country

Hehehe, sorry, that would be Third World country you're referring to. smile.gif
Traks
QUOTE (Raygun)
If you weren't a person who watched anime regularly, what do you think would you be led to believe?

Of course, you're right. Not all anime is the übertech, sniping-from-orbit-with-the-gun-that-turns-into-a-motorcycle, cute-innocent-looking-girls-kung-fu-kicking-your-mother's-small-intestines-out-and-strangling-some-super-monster-in-the-process-of-destroying-Tokyo-with-them. Just about, oh, 90% of it is. wink.gif

That said, Castle Of Cagliostro rules.

Why? Bubblegum Crisis wasn't so bad after all.
Besides, red bikes rule smile.gif

But I must admit that I am more into humorous part of anime.
Still Akira was ok, and Armitage III also.
kenji
obligatory knee-jerk: what the fuck is up with this thread?

it started as a "what gun is this?" and ended as "anime is teh sux0r."
anime is just yet another storytelling form. not unlike that Shadowrun thing that some people allegedly play. if you don't like the conventions of the form, find a different medium.

and as for realism in *any* media: do you watch american cinema for the Science lessons? shit no, you don't. hell, how many storytellers (in any form) do you know that sit down and research even half of what they could potentially get wrong?
Austere Emancipator
I would like to think that this thread ended as "anime guns are moronic". Which they are. And then we had a good collective laught at anime guns. Sure it got mentioned that most anime follows the tried-and-true "cute-innocent-looking-girls-kung-fu-kicking-your-mother's-small-intestines-out-and-strangling-some-super-monster-in-the-process-of-destroying-Tokyo-with-them" storyline, but that was just a side-effect of discussing anime guns.

And most of us have been joking about it, not seriously suggesting that it is somehow "less worthy" than any other art media. I do watch american cinema with at least the same amount of criticism as I watch anime -- in fact, most of the time I watch american cinema way more critically. And I'm not certain about this, but I think Tom Clancy researches most of his gun stuff... Either that, or he knows all of it already. Well, except for the unfortunate MP-10 issue.
Raygun
QUOTE (Moosegod)
Does anyone have any idea about the effectiveness of guns like the UMP that allow for the swapping of calibers?  How easy is it?  How much does accuracy and reliability suffer?

Usually guns that are designed to fire either the 9mm Parabellum or the .40 S&W are basically the same gun with a few different parts dedicated for each caliber. In the case of ther UMP, that would be the barrel, bolt assembly, recoil/return spring, magazine, and possibly the rear sight. Five parts, three of which are interchangeable during a field strip. It would likely take an armorer's tools and skill to change the barrel, but changing calibers is definitely possible and more than that, it's built into the weapon design. Accuracy and reliability shouldn't suffer at all as long as it's done right.

QUOTE (DR.PaiN)
Compelely off topic, but someone is using Raygun's chart for backing on Fark.com, check it out, like 40 or so comments down.

And the guy was still wrong. Amazing. If he'd read the rest of my site, he'd know where to find speed of sound. wink.gif

And I'm not certain about this, but I think Tom Clancy researches most of his gun stuff... Either that, or he knows all of it already. Well, except for the unfortunate MP-10 issue.

He's only slightly better than most writers when it comes to gun facts. He did a fair amount of talking out of his ass in Rainbow Six. The R6 games rule, though.
moosegod
See, the reason I was thinking about accuracy is you are physically changing the location of the barrel. It would seem that you'd need to re-zero the weapon.

But that's a common armorer's task.
Raygun
And significantly changing the ballistics of the round you're firing. That's why I mentioned the use of a new rear sight. In any case, you'd definitely need to re-zero the weapon after changing a barrel. And you're right, that is a common armorer's task.
moosegod
Raygun- You probably already know about this site, but I found it useful-

www.bulletproofme.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012