Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun without Earthdawn as past
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mercer
QUOTE (mfb)
basically, you're saying that it's understood--but unsaid--that magic is based on belief, in SR. i disagree; i think the game presents that as one possibility, but that it's only a possibility. i don't think there's any behind-the-scenes silent understanding that this is how magic works.

Actually, its said quite frequently that magic is based on belief, not as a fact (since no one really knows how anything works), but as a guess. Its one of the in-game theories that attempts to explain how magic works. Remember when you said:
QUOTE (mfb)
but it's not implicit. it's hinted at, yes...

Dipping to the nearest thesaurus, implicit directs us to oblique, which lists in part:
Oblique (adj): implicit, not explicit, implied, coded, veiled, hinted

So what's the problem? Even the example of the Dragon Totem, the guy went from being the head of the cult to being a Dragon Totem Shaman. Now, either that is the greatest coincidence in the world, or belief was a factor. Hell, even if the theory is totally, 100% wrong (not that anything in game is proveable), it is still all over the system in oblique, implicit, implied, coded, veiled and hinted at references.
Stahlseele
isn't there even a kind of magician that switches totems like other people switch their weapons? O.o
kinda like evry other . . not sure if it was week, but i think it was month another totem with another set of benefits and deficits to boot O.o
Critias
Not unless it's in some zany German book, like Immortal Dwarves.
Cheops
QUOTE (Critias)

Oh come on other races being immortal is cool. We had this one super powerful troll in ED that we decided to say that he'd eventually reach 15th circle and become immortal.

In my SR game the real Yeti is this troll. He's been living up in the Himalayas only occasionally venturing out of his cave for food.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Critias)

There were pantheistic shamans in MitS.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Cheops)
In my SR game the real Yeti is this troll. He's been living up in the Himalayas only occasionally venturing out of his cave for food.

Earthdawn tie-ins in sourcebooks: crappy

What you just said: awesome

I've got no reasoning behind this; I'm just going with what my gut tells me.
Jame J
I voted "Yes, SR without ED is still SR" on the basis that you have no need to refer to ED to run SR and have a good game.

After all, isn't SR about having some elf shoot some ork in the face 'cause some human paid him to, and then shooting the human in the face 'cause he set the elf up?
mfb
QUOTE (Mercer)
Hell, even if the theory is totally, 100% wrong (not that anything in game is proveable), it is still all over the system in oblique, implicit, implied, coded, veiled and hinted at references.

the point we disagree on, i think, is that you accept the belief theory as being true, and i view it as one possibility. at least, that's what i'm getting from statements like "one of the cornerstones of SR is that belief influences reality and that certain magical traditions work because people believe they work." we both agree that the evidence is inconclusive, but--i think, anyway, based on what you've been saying--you choose to accept that evidence, and i choose not to.

QUOTE (Mercer)
Even the example of the Dragon Totem, the guy went from being the head of the cult to being a Dragon Totem Shaman. Now, either that is the greatest coincidence in the world, or belief was a factor.

or it could be numbers. no way as Dragonson the only nutjob Dunkie freak to start a cult, right? out of all of them, there had to be a few unexpressed magicians. Dragonson, being an unexpressed Dragon shaman, is drawn to start a cult of his own. where other cults go nowhere, his grows because he's a charismatic, intelligent guy who is really, really driven by his love for all things dragon. crazy people can be so convincing, especially in the sixth world. so Dragonson does the whole introspection thing, gets in touch with himself, and actually Awakens, finally fully realizing the potential that had been driving him the whole time.

now, i'm not presenting that scenario as The Truth. i'm presenting it as a possibility--a possibility that is touched on (in far less detail) in the same SR material that raises the possibility of Dragonson Awakening through the power of his own belief.

i don't see any hard evidence in SR to support the belief theory. i see a lot of circumstantial evidence, but i don't choose to assume the belief theory is true based on that evidence.
Ol' Scratch
The fact that the rules support and encourage you to create your own traditions, whatever they may be, is more than a simple implication; it's a downright "yes, it is based on your belief."

The fact that there can be/are/will be Elvis shaman, Toaster shaman, and Teletubby Magi -- all of which are 100% supported, appropriate, and viable by the rules -- says more about the subject than anything else can. Unless, of course, you want to seriously try and argue that Elvis, Toasters, and Teletubbies are real gods that have always existed and always will exist, but no one knew about them until a short time ago.

If it didn't work that way, there wouldn't be variations of a theme. Everyone's magic would work exactly the same, especially within a given tradition. The individuality of magical effects -- spells and spirits alike -- are solid proof that the belief of their creator (ie, the magician) is the key and that mana is just a shapeless, formless energy until willed into being something more specific.
mfb
Elvis, Toaster, and Teletubby totems could simply be modern manifestations of other, more primal entities. and that individuality is certainly proof of something, but not necessarily what you say. it could simply be proof of how complex the magical universe is. or it could be proof that while belief shapes magic, it doesn't alter it at any significant level.
Ol' Scratch
I guess our definitions of "shapes" and "alters" are drastically different.
mfb
it's a question of how great the effect is. belief can affect what your summoned spirits look like, it might affect what totem you get. that doesn't necessarily mean it can allow you to break the 'rules' of magic and/or create something completely new. basically, it goes back to the original point that started this whole tangent--someone proposed that the reason SR magic and ED magic are different is that people in SR believe different things from people in ED. i think that the material in SR hints that this may be true, but it presents enough counterevidence (largely through lack of evidence) that i'm not convinced. and i don't think the material is intended to convince the reader that the belief theory is true--i think the material is intended to simply raise the possibility and make you wonder.
Particle_Beam
QUOTE (mfb)
... it presents enough counterevidence (largely through lack of evidence)...

Now that's one of the most strangest and funniest arguments I've read. rotfl.gif
mfb
there are a lot of wacky people who believe a lot of wacky things. that's true today, when there isn't much evidence that magic is real. i can only imagine that such wackiness would reach critical mass if one in every hundred people you knew could perform real, tangible magical effects. i don't think SR has nearly enough wackiness in it to justify the theory that anybody who believes something really hard can make it come true.
martindv
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 8 2007, 08:44 PM)
Elvis, Toaster, and Teletubby totems could simply be modern manifestations of other, more primal entities. and that individuality is certainly proof of something, but not necessarily what you say. it could simply be proof of how complex the magical universe is. or it could be proof that while belief shapes magic, it doesn't alter it at any significant level.

It could be that they aren't that powerful, either, so they only can imbue so many (or only one, even) avatars at a time.
Karaden
QUOTE (mfb)

Must.. make.. elvis shaman..

Jokes aside... no, jokes not aside, must go summon elvis to sway the hearts of my enemies with his songs.. or something.

Oh, but one thing to point out: Yes, the magic is different for each individual mage, but every persons hair is just slightly different, as are their fingerprints. Perhaps it isn't that the mage's beliefs affect their magic, but something about the mage affects both their magic and their beliefs. Just because A and B corrilate doesn't mean A causes B. As an example:

On certain days, it is observed that more icecream is sold, on these same days it is also observed that more violent crimes happen. Conclusion? Icecream causes violence. But as we know this isn't true, it is the fact that it is a hot day that causes both to increase. A and B corrilate, but both are caused by C. Perhaps magic and belief are both caused by something else, aura, or maybe genes, or who knows what it could be.
Glyph
I agree with mfb that, while magic is shaped by belief, the belief only lets your mind tap into that energy - it still operates by its own rules. One mage might summon a djinn, one might summon a swirling cloud of bats, one might summon a whirlwind with glowing eyes, and one might summon a gossammer-tressed sylph. However, all of these spirits will all have the stats for an air spirit.

On the other hand, while belief can only tap into magic, not break its rules, that same belief can act as a limiter. The old psionic tradition couldn't use certain spells, because those spells didn't fit into their explanation of magic as psychic abilities. So you don't need to have the laws of magic themselves changing for Earthdawn magic to be weaker, you only have to have a reinforcing pattern of belief, built up over generations, that magic can do so much, and no more, in certain areas. That's if you absolutely have to shoehorn Earthdawn into there. I can't quite buy it, myself, because I don't see how you could have no one ever making an intuitive leap and breaking one of those "limits".
Fortune
QUOTE (Glyph)
However, all of these spirits will all have the stats for an air spirit.

But that's almost purely for ease of bookkeeping purposes. It would be a nightmare to try to delineate each and every belief system as a totally separate and statted-out magic system. It's all in the fluff!
Ol' Scratch
Let's look at it another way, then. Dragons, Earthdawn, the Horrors, and the Origin of the World.

Dragons had a theory that the Horrors were responsible for creating the world and everything. Nevermind that they weren't there to witness it, that doesn't matter. It's their creation myth and a firm belief for many of them. A belief held by, arguably, the most powerfully innate magicians the world has ever known; to a point where they're nearly one in the same.

Not surprisingly, that mass belief by a huge cadre of mind-bogglingly powerful magicians ended up becoming "true." At least the existance of these Horrors -- creates that come from the deepest, darkest corner of the astral plane (a place of pure mana). And low and behold, they were every bit as powerful as those amazingly potent magicians claimed they were. Right down to every single detail.

Details they knew nothing about first hand, except through their creation myth.

So, much like most religions, which is it? Did the Horrors actually exist and create the world exactly as those ignorant but powerful magicians said they did, or did those ignorant but powerful magicians inadvertedly cause the myths, dreams, and nightmares to manifest through their belief? And how did they know all these amazing facts without being there themselves?

Basically, did God create man, or did man create God? And on another tangent, if [god(s) of choice] did manifest physically what becomes of faith? Something that practically relies on your beliefs not having any solid proof?
MYST1C
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 8 2007, 03:51 PM)

Actually, those weren't immortal dwarfs but supposedly a surviving ED era kaer that preserved its culture.

And the book in question was a novel.

When the idea was later picked up in an actual sourcebook the whole "dwarf cave kingdom" thing was explained as a modern invention, a fantasy-style pseudo-medieval community founded only a few years ago by an all-dwarven group of LARPers/history buffs/religious nuts.

As the shadowtalk says, they are very friendly but you should never question their "ancient dwarf religion" or make fun of their clothes and strange "dwarf language".

It's actually a bit like the movie The Village where everybody except the elders (the project founders) firmly believes he's living in the 18th century because that's what he was told all his life...
mfb
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Let's look at it another way, then. Dragons, Earthdawn, the Horrors, and the Origin of the World.

eh, there's a lot of play there too. dragons learn telepathically, as i recall, starting when they're still in the egg. it's possible that draconic "myth" is accurate because all dragons do have first-hand knowledge of the truth--passed down directly from mind to mind with each generation.

or maybe their myths were as fuzzy and incorrect as human myths, and they just said they'd been right all along. "oh, yeah, like i said, this type of Horror has tentacles. did i say it had wings, before? you must've misheard me. don't mishear me again, or i'll eat you."
Mercer
As a side note (since this whole discussion is a side note to the original post), it seems entirely possible to say that "belief influencing reality is a cornerstone of SR magic" and that "no one knows exactly how magic works nor will they ever." Those aren't mutually exclusive phrases, and both are borne out again and again in the fluff.
Cheops
QUOTE (mfb)

eh, there's a lot of play there too. dragons learn telepathically, as i recall, starting when they're still in the egg. it's possible that draconic "myth" is accurate because all dragons do have first-hand knowledge of the truth--passed down directly from mind to mind with each generation.

or maybe their myths were as fuzzy and incorrect as human myths, and they just said they'd been right all along. "oh, yeah, like i said, this type of Horror has tentacles. did i say it had wings, before? you must've misheard me. don't mishear me again, or i'll eat you."

actually their creation myth seems to point to the fact that a Dragon was actually one of the Horrors but it had a pang of conscience and fled to Earth to live in peace where it made the other Name Givers.
Ravor
Meh, personally I like another option, Dragons like all other intelligent beings make up myths that inflate their own place in the universe. Remember that Earthdawn is the Fourth World, so assuming that the Mana Cycle theory is correct the myth just doesn't hold true, no mana means no magical Horror/Dragons being able to redeem themselves and bring life to the world in the First World.

Also remember that even if you throw the Dragon Myth out then the world has already gone through a Scrouge in the Second Age (Or more if you assume that the Mana Cycle has always come and gone and we only call it the Sixth World beause that is what the fragging Dragons claim.) so it isn't really all that impressive to me that the Dragons were able to describe the Horrors in their myths in the Fourth World.

MikeTrevin
On magic: the discussion here only seems to show that the MitS had it right. If you ask 10 different mages what the nature of magic is, you'll get 13 different answers.

Personally, I like the high level of customization the SR4 gives us. While it did have to 'blandify' hermetization and shamanism a bit, it's important to note that it seems that Shadowrun has been trying to broaden its focus. It's no longer cyberpunk in North America. It's a world stage, with all the mixtures that would be provided by a 'fast forwarded' current real world. It includes the cyberpunk staples, of course; a virtual reality network, and cyberware. It also has stuff cyberpunk never thought of in the early days. Bioware, nanoware, advanced manufacturing techniques ( that aren't just fancy black boxes that work 'very well, thank you' ); all things which our current progress hints at.

And so, magic changed with it. To allow for a wider variety of beliefs to shape how magic works for people. Whether or not it is those beliefs shaping the magic, or if its that old stories, fairy tales, and personal religions from an older time are just being given a chance to re-manifest now that the mana level is up again.

Which brings us to the ED angle. I -love- Shadowrun. While I've only ( heh. 'only' ) been playing since SR3, I love everything about the setting. While I recognize that there is supposed to be some kind of link with Earthdawn, I tend to ignore it. I realize that the dragons were alive in an earlier magic age. I recognize that the immortal elves have been around since that time, and are now doing whatever it is immortal elves do. However, I've never so much as seen an Earthdawn book. I do not know Earthdawn.

I know that it is supposedly the source of the Horrors, which ( I think? ) are things like insect spirits ( score one point for magic not based on belief. I mean, how many people would have to -really believe- in those things to make them so very very true as to lead to a city being nuked? ), Shedim, and the like. Nice flavor touch, but it doesn't matter to me that my magical threats have a fancy umbrella name. And I don't know what Horrors are beyond that. Again, I do not know Earthdawn.

This does not prevent me from running Shadowrun. My players are not archeologists, and they do not care about the source of this ultra-ancient rare artifact. They just nod, the mage says "Well, it's -theorized- that there was an earlier age of magi." *heads nod, voices go 'mmhmm', one guy goes 'oh god, Magey-boy's get talky on the run again', and the team moves on*

I don't need Earthdawn. This is not meant to be an insult to it, but I don't feel that Shadowrun needs Earthdawn to be Shadowrun, either.

Vaguely-related note on the Elvis ( edited: Typo. Said Elves before. ) shaman: Sure, they'll pop up. Belief forming magic, or magic being based on something more primitive/more 'real magic' in order to allow this belief to manifest the King for summon spells? Does it matter? While these can exist in the new rules, and players -will- make them ( players will do anything you let 'em get away with ), it's worthwhile to note that these rarities probably won't get far. There is probably a almost non-existent community to support the poor mage, and while he'll find plenty of true believers who'll tell him the King still lives, without a -magical- support community, his magic will probably suffer. He'll probably have to homebrew almost everything his does, and spend lots of karma on initiation ( unless he -can- find a group willing to suffer his bizarre magic interpretation ). A path only for the strong of will and stubborn of mind. Or crazy of mind. Nuttier things have happened.
Mercer
QUOTE (Mike Trevin)
I mean, how many people would have to -really believe- in those things to make them so very very true as to lead to a city being nuked?

Well, belief isn't just what you want to believe, its also about your deep and primal fears. Insects are popular focuses for phobias and nightmares. As was said in the old pseudo-documentary, The Hellstrom Chronicles (which is a great inspiration for insect spirits), "that, from childhood nightmares to adult schizophrenia, the insect is a common fixation on the human mind - partly because his face seems so evil, partly because he is so indestructible."

Just because belief might influence reality doesn't mean its all going to be happiness and sunshine; to quote Agent Smith, human beings define their existence through misery. Or to put another way, the first rule of hell: sinners get what they expect.

Actually, the real reason magic works is because we roll dice and get successes. Dunklezahn even said so, way back in SR1 (although its been reprinted in subsequent editions):

Why do things happen the way they happen? For all I know the world is one big game and all of our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (MYST1C)
When the idea was later picked up in an actual sourcebook

Let's say 'butchered by Eismann' instead of 'picked up'.
Kyoto Kid
...@MikeTrevin. Well said. I remember that line from MitS.

Yes SR has been a world stage now, something I have been trying to do, but often players in my neck of the woods (the Pacific NorthWet) tend to be "homers" for the more familiar shadows of Seattle (which for me has become somewhat stale after 18+ years)

I have run past campaigns set in London, the Kingdom of Hawai'i, Australia, and the Balkans. One of my favourite site-fluff books is the old London Sourcebook which I still used in 3rd ed. When Shadows of Europe and Shadows of Asia came out I was at my FLGS immediately.

The only thing with 4th ed, is we have to wait for time to catch up in all these other locations again. Corporate Enclaves is the next step (Tokyo and Europort), but there eventually needs to be more for in the revision the world has returned to being primarily Seattle-centric again. I would like to know what has transpired concerning the Pendragon and Lord Marchmont in the UK, is there finally real peace in the Balkans (hinted at in SOTA 2064), and what the situation in Russia is like concerning the Trans Polar Yakut and Poland?
MYST1C
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (MYST1C)
When the idea was later picked up in an actual sourcebook

Let's say 'butchered by Eismann' instead of 'picked up'.

IMHO it wasn't "butchered" but resolved nicely (yes, there are medieval dwarves underground, no, that's not connected to Earthdawn) - just considering all the crap Alpers introduced in his novels.
hyzmarca
The real problems with that belief-theory start when you consider how it explains a trapped totem escaping and spontaneous magic/spirit manifestations - it completly waters down to some 'collective will' thing that sounds reasonable, yet explains nothing.

It also doesn't explain why Jesus, Muhammad, and Shiva aren't locked in a three-way-death-dual which threatens to destroy huge chunks of Eurasia and North Africa. cyber.gif

If magic were a product of belief, then the champions of the big 3 belief systems should be walking around, kicking ass and taking names.

QUOTE (mfb)

QUOTE (Mercer)
Even the example of the Dragon Totem, the guy went from being the head of the cult to being a Dragon Totem Shaman. Now, either that is the greatest coincidence in the world, or belief was a factor.

or it could be numbers. no way as Dragonson the only nutjob Dunkie freak to start a cult, right? out of all of them, there had to be a few unexpressed magicians. Dragonson, being an unexpressed Dragon shaman, is drawn to start a cult of his own. where other cults go nowhere, his grows because he's a charismatic, intelligent guy who is really, really driven by his love for all things dragon. crazy people can be so convincing, especially in the sixth world. so Dragonson does the whole introspection thing, gets in touch with himself, and actually Awakens, finally fully realizing the potential that had been driving him the whole time.

Or it could just be that the actual Dragon Totem, after centuries of boredom, noticed that there was finally a nice little dragon cult out there and decided to give its leader a hand just for fun.

Details they knew nothing about first hand, except through their creation myth.

Well, actually, given what we know about dragon life cycles, if the World Numbering is accurate then the dragons must be removed from Nightslayer's sacrifice about as far as we are from WWII. Assuming that it happened at the tail end of the Zeroth world, then Dunkie's mommy would have had to have been there.

My preferred explanation for the varied traditions is that they are all objectively correct. There exists, at a level of reality more basic that that which we can percieve, primal Ideals, basic Ideals, which cna be viewed as Platonic Ideal Forms. All things which exist, in this wold and all others, are simply inperfect copies of these Ideals, like a bunch of crappy xeroxes. Certain powerful beings, mostly spirits of absurdly high force with absurdly high karma reserves, and weave threads to these Ideals, binding themselves to them, and becoming as Gods. The animistic Ideals, Totems, are generally monopolized by single individuals, Insects being an exception, where this power is split between all of the Mother spirits, allowing them to choose Shamans but making them much less than divine. The more human Ideals, the Idols, however, are wide open. Many powerful spirits have been able to grab divinity from them, filling up countless pantheons.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (MYST1C)
IMHO it wasn't "butchered" but resolved nicely (yes, there are medieval dwarves underground, no, that's not connected to Earthdawn) - just considering all the crap Alpers introduced in his novels.

Nothing about it was 'nicely', as it simply took another authors work and butchered it.
Eismann simply removed a possibility he didn't like (Alpers never set in stone that it was really a Kaer - how should he, it's a novel told through the perception of the protagonists).

That being said, the novels were the usual german crap... just, the sourcebook was the usual german crap, too.
If I had to choose between a dwarven kaer deep down or forests infested with ghost platoons of the Panzer SS...
Fuchs
Nothing about it was 'nicely', as it simply took another authors work and butchered it.
Eismann simply removed a possibility he didn't like (Alpers never really set in stone that it was really a Kaer - how should he, it's a novel told through the perception of the protagonists).

That being said, the novels were the usual german crap... just, the sourcebook was the usual german crap, too.
If I had to choose between a dwarven kaer deep down or forests infested with ghost platoons of the Panzer SS...

You mean you actually consider an official sourcebook "crap"? Yet you still use it, right, or according to your own opinion, your game would not be shadworun anymore otherwise?

Oh, and of course, SS Ghosts all the way. Reminds of the run when my runners encountered a ghost ship - an old trade raider from WW2, still shooting at "enemy merchantmen".
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Fuchs)
You mean you actually consider an official sourcebook "crap"? Yet you still use it, right, or according to your own opinion, your game would not be shadworun anymore otherwise?

Don't need to worry about that - the most recent kanon description of the AGS is Shadows of Europe, thank you very much. wink.gif

On the other hand, if the "System Failure & Emergence - done right" campaign planned actually gets online, I'm not entirely sure.

QUOTE (Fuchs)
Oh, and of course, SS Ghosts all the way.

In Africa, perhaps. But given the actual rules für ghosts... not as impressive as one might wish.
Kyoto Kid
...SS? I thought the Ghosts were from the TT...? grinbig.gif
Mercer
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
It also doesn't explain why Jesus, Muhammad, and Shiva aren't locked in a three-way-death-dual which threatens to destroy huge chunks of Eurasia and North Africa. 

If magic were a product of belief, then the champions of the big 3 belief systems should be walking around, kicking ass and taking names...

My preferred explanation for the varied traditions is that they are all objectively correct. There exists, at a level of reality more basic that that which we can percieve, primal Ideals, basic Ideals, which cna be viewed as Platonic Ideal Forms.

The only thing I like less than Belief Influencing Reality is Objective Truth.

Personally, I don't mind that there aren't 400'-tall Jesus Free Spirits roaming the Earth, or anything else based on a major religion. Because all the major religions-- and certainly the Big 3-- are thousands of splinter groups who agree on almost nothing and think the other worshippers are to some degree heretical. And they've been trained for the last two thousand years to expect nothing. And we're only talking about the people who are reasonably sincere, not the ones who get into religion for the money, or just pay lip service to it, or have never really given it any serious thought. And most serious people don't believe in God as a giant, invisible superhero who lives in outer space, but as a metaphorical guide for the way we live our personal, temporal lives.

Now matter how many people believe in something they call by the same name, ulitmately, belief is a personal thing. I think the instinct is that if you believe in Thor, Thor will grant you power; but there's really no reason for Thor to enter into it. Believing in Thor (or Elmo, or whoever) is what's important.
psykotisk_overlegen
if you believe in Thor, Thor will grant you power

And if you don't.. Thor will destroy you from orbit
When was the last time your deity destroyed a navy flagship?

No wonder neo-paganism caught on in the 6th world.
Stahlseele
bet Mars/Ares was royally pissed that the hammers were not named after him *g*
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, the corp named after him owns most of them... biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
am i the only one imagining the ares corporation headquarters being hit with a thor shot and ares/mars looking angryly down at it while thor is standing there gloating? *g*
Fortune
Yes!
Mercer
I tend to think of mana as a force. Living minds (mostly) can manipulate it, but they lack precise control. Belief is that X factor that allows the brain (or the soul, or the chi) to harness that force. Its like the way a pitcher throws a baseball; he doesn't think about the muscles, about the physics, he just does it. He trains his muscles, he learns the physics, and he practices it to the point that when it comes time to throw the ball, if he's still thinking he's going to screw it up. He has to throw with an empty mind. This was pretty much the plot of the movie, Bull Durham. To wit:
    Crash Davis: A player on the streak has to respect the streak, because they don't come along that often. If you think you're winning because you're getting laid or you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you are. And you should know that.
Hell, it doesn't really matter if it's correct or not. It's just a theory. No one really understands how magic works and they probably never will, that's not really the point. A theory doesn't have to be correct to be useful. Astronomers who thought the Earth was at the center of the universe still had charts that could accurately predict the path of the planets; it didn't matter that they were wrong, they still worked. The watched what the planets did, and wrote their charts based off that.

Magic in SR is in a similar state. If a guy says he can fly because Tony the Tiger tells him he can, and then he flies, then he's right. He's more right than the guy who's telling him Tony the Tiger can't tell him to fly. Personally, I never cared for the D&D concept of giving the deities and demigods home addresses and stats. It doesn't take much faith to believe in Thor is you can cast a spell and ask Thor about it. (Given that divine magic works and the gods periodically show up and do stuff, it isn't faith in D&D, but plainly observable fact.) Which is neither here nor there, except as an example that I can turn anything into bitching about D&D.
apollo124
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

The only thing with 4th ed, is we have to wait for time to catch up in all these other locations again. Corporate Enclaves is the next step (Tokyo and Europort), but there eventually needs to be more for in the revision the world has returned to being primarily Seattle-centric again. I would like to know what has transpired concerning the Pendragon and Lord Marchmont in the UK, is there finally real peace in the Balkans (hinted at in SOTA 2064), and what the situation in Russia is like concerning the Trans Polar Yakut and Poland?

If I remember right from Gen-Con Indy, they said that one of the projects on the board is a big sourcebook updating the "Shadows of" series up to the '70's. Correct me if I got that wrong, official folks.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Mercer @ Dec 11 2007, 09:57 PM)
Personally, I never cared for the D&D concept of giving the deities and demigods home addresses and stats.  It doesn't take much faith to believe in Thor is you can cast a spell and ask Thor about it.  (Given that divine magic works and the gods periodically show up and do stuff, it isn't faith in D&D, but plainly observable fact.)  Which is neither here nor there, except as an example that I can turn anything into bitching about D&D.

I see it the opposite way. It takes more faith to pick a God out of an entire objective Pantheon and stick with it than it takes to believe a fairy tale that has no possible effect on your mortal life. After all, your God could lose.

Truth in Shadowrun is still subjective enough, though, due to the subjective nature of the metaplanes.

Actual gods and actual spiritual experiences multiply fanaticism. If some crazy bloke is standing on a pulpit telling you that God wants you to kill all the Canaanites, down to the last infant, you're going to think that's his a crazy genocidal maniac. If you go on an Astral Quest and meet your God who tells you that he wants you to kill all the Canaanites, down to the last infant, you're going to go out and start killing Canaanites.
This makes things really scary, since those creatures who portray themselves as divine can easily convert fanatics to whatever bizarre cause they might have. The fact that Spider Totem is a real personal entity with a penchant fir commandeering nuclear-equipped ballistic-missile submarines makes The Spiders members' faith in her even more scary than it would otherwise be.
Critias
I would say at that point it's not "faith" any more, though, but perhaps better described as "trust" or "confidence" or even just "obedience."

Faith is often defined as the belief in something despite there being proof as to it's existence. Picking a deity out of a pantheon and sticking to it is more like choosing a football team than showing "faith" in something. If you know that shit's real, you're not so much being faithful to it as picking a favorite.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Critias)
I would say at that point it's not "faith" any more, though, but perhaps better described as "trust" or "confidence" or even just "obedience."

The latter sums up 'faith' nicely for me. wink.gif
Mercer
Eh, without getting into a debate on religion (which as fun as it is, isn't terribly game related), the only reason it matters at all for us to have an idea of how magic functions in the game-- even if no one outside our group shares it-- is because not every eventuality can be covered in the rule book. GM's, and players to a certain extent, have to make judgment calls in every aspect of the system, but particularly in Magic. With Combat, Vehicles or the Matrix, you can fall back on a knowledge of physics or computers or action movies; a lot of the time what you're dealing with are updated versions of things that exist today (although that is more true now than when the game first came out-- nobody was controlling a pong game with their mind back then), but Magic is a complete fabrication, it obeys only its own laws. The only points of reference we have are the ones we or someone else makes up.

In the strictest terms, it doesn't really matter where magic comes from. I mean, it comes from the rules; characters have Magic Ratings, they buy Powers and Spells, the roll their Dice Pools. Cubes of plastic are the only true source of mana in the game, but beyond the mechanical function the fluff can be almost anything. But when situations come up that aren't covered in the book, when you're off the edge of the map with the mechanical functions, the fluff is all you have to go on
Glyph
QUOTE (Mercer)
And most serious people don't believe in God as a giant, invisible superhero who lives in outer space, but as a metaphorical guide for the way we live our personal, temporal lives.

Most Christians and other deists believe in an actual God, and don't consider their holy books to be the equivalent of Dear Abby. You might want to cut down on the flamebaiting.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Glyph)
QUOTE (Mercer)
And most serious people don't believe in God as a giant, invisible superhero who lives in outer space, but as a metaphorical guide for the way we live our personal, temporal lives.

Most Christians and other deists believe in an actual God, and don't consider their holy books to be the equivalent of Dear Abby. You might want to cut down on the flamebaiting.

I don't know about anyone else, but his sentiment seemed pretty sincere to me. Unless I'm mistaken about the definition of flame-baiting, the term doesn't really apply to everything that might possibly offend someone, just things which are designed to offend someone. I mean, if we want to start a flame war, we probably can, just by accusing people of flaming or flame-baiting left and right, but I'm not sure how relevant to the topic that would be.
Glyph
There's a difference between expressing your opinion and insulting anyone else who has a different opinion. There's a difference between saying you don't agree with something and mocking it.

I'm not starting a flame war. I'm just telling Mercer he needs to act with a bit more respect for other posters' beliefs. Sincerity doesn't have anything to do with it. I may sincerely disagree with, say, Catholicism, or the Islamic faith, or neo-paganism, but that doesn't mean you'll see me mocking those beliefs in my posts.
Fortune
I don't see any disrespect there. He made no value judgments, or even disparaging commentary about any specific religion. In fact, I believe that Mercer is being quite sincere in his expressed belief that not many people actually envision God (or Jesus or Muhammad, or Vishnu, or ...) as a giant humanoid being standing among the stars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012