Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it just me, or is stunball off the charts?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
DTFarstar
What spells does he have and what is his tradition? I might be able to give him and you some ideas about how this could go. The problem I'm seeing now is that you don't want to force him to do anything he doesn't want to do and it sounds like the ONLY thing he wants to do is annihilate people with magic in the most badass way possible. Which bothers you.... but you don't want to force him to change... hell I dunno, if you could copy us his sheet it would help alot too. But it is obvious- to me anyway and nothing says I'm not wrong- that his is more than just stunball being a really efficient spell.

Chris
Ddays
Everybody on the team fulfils a valid role. The mage is perfectly willing to play ball, I'm just kind of annoyed that the game isn't exactly balanced in terms of what combat contribution each character can bring forth at what effort. When a mage can kick as much ass and have three times the utility of a cyber sammie, I would like to fix it without being forced to come up with a situation that specifically smacks down the mage's effectiveness.

It's ok if I occasionally smack down a character to make sure they don't get too cocky, but that's not a long term solution to the problem. And the general vibe I'm getting here is that the only fix is a encounter design one rather than a straight up mechanical change. Sigh, I guess nobody said being a GM was easy.
kzt
You can do a mechanical change, but it's likely to be tough to get the balance you want without tweaking.

A few ideas:
Increase the drain on combat spells. Remove the divide by by two for drain. So a force 13 stunball is 14 dice of drain. Or alternately, make area effect spells have double the drain of single target spells, so the force 13 stunbolt is 5 dice and the stunball is 10 dice.

Reduce the damage. For example, damage is just double net hits, with a cap of total hits of force but no base damage.

I haven't tried these, so I have no idea how ugly they they will or won't be.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 18 2007, 09:07 PM)
The first paragraph makes is seem more difficult of a task than what the actual rules in the second paragraph dictate.

Yep, true enough, but by the time that time the mage has already smacked you with the stunball. All I'm saying is geek the mage isn't that terribly useful because you can't really use it as a preemptive measure if the mage in question knows what they're doing.

Oddly enough, if you really want to make mages sweat, you really ought to make life harder for the hacker and riggers. Object resistance will catch up to a mage sooner or later, and drones backed up with counterspelling or minor background count can make things real hairy, plus they're essentially immune to stun to begin with. I damn near smeared my group the first time I GMed 4th by having the top security guy at the facility statted out as a Mystic Adept with just enough magical ability to take Improved Ability for technical skills as well as counterspelling and a rifle he used to back up own his personal drone army. Pretty nasty when you consider that he ran them on a second commlink which wasn't connected to the main facility's PAN; if a Steel Lynx were even remotely capable of being stealthy, it could have been very messy.
Fortune
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Yep, true enough, but by the time that time the mage has already smacked you with the stunball. All I'm saying is geek the mage isn't that terribly useful because you can't really use it as a preemptive measure if the mage in question knows what they're doing.

That assumes there is only one person (or small group) in opposition to the mage. Other bystanders or non-targeted opponents can also make use of Perception.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Ddays)
The mage is perfectly willing to play ball, I'm just kind of annoyed that the game isn't exactly balanced in terms of what combat contribution each character can bring forth at what effort. When a mage can kick as much ass and have three times the utility of a cyber sammie, I would like to fix it without being forced to come up with a situation that specifically smacks down the mage's effectiveness.

Sammie's real strength is in the ability for a well equipped sammie to walk straight through a security checkpoint without anything less than blood testing demonstrating that the sammie is in any way a threat.
Siege
That isn't exactly true - when a person is packing so much 'ware they stop having a thermal signature and qualify for a vehicle signature, they're gonna raise some eyebrows.

I love my samurai, but to be fair - they usually make the average cyberware detector roll over and die. grinbig.gif cyber.gif

-Siege
Ddays
That has actually happened to one of players, passing through a security checkpoint, the hacker heard this being broadcast across the coms:

"Be advised, on approach we have 3 geeks and a GM truck"

"You sure, tower, visual shows 4 of them on foot"

"Cyber sensors clearly show a vehicle there, captain"

"Oh."

The fourth member being the the casually strutting troll sammie of course.
Ryu
The main problem here is overcasting as rule rather than exception. The magic 6 caster should well be able to toast gangers, but not as fast as manaball allows for.

The option of increased drain is valid. If you suffer the same drain from fireball as from stunball, you decide what kind of resistance roll on behalf of the target you can beat easier. I would advise to lower drain by one

Another option would be to limit damage from stunball etc to net hits. That would result in marginal damage in presence of counterspelling and encourage the use of foci to increase DP size.

I think one aspect that is often ignored here is the control of mage power vs. mundane power in character design (read "GM approval"). Magic 5 or even 6 seems to be the norm for most mages that where submitted to me. As are high drain stats.Casters with magic 6, spellcasting 5(combat spells), stunball, fireball and increase reflexes clear house. More so with a few cheap initiations.

On the other hand, mages can do with magic 4 or even 3, and can well spend their karma in other places. If you want to leave combat to the mundanes, tell the player to make do with magic 4 and promise to stay light on magical security. More BP to spend on non-magical things, too.
Cthulhudreams
If you're sammie is hardware toting to the max with BIG GUNS the problem is a rigger rolls lots more dice because drones are cheap and he can seriously have like 5 LMGs, and so is speccing out to do jumping in to the max, and can do all sorts of other cool stuff (thanks to the drones he's a great spy, excellent transport/get away driver and can usually hack a bit) and is just as legal (ie not very).

Competing against a rigger, while flavourful, isn't exactly where the 'strength' of the sammie is. I'm more thinking biosammie as an illustrative option of the strengths of a sammie.
hyzmarca
One bane of mages is speed. Samurai have it; they don't, usually. And with speed comes success in surprise tests.

Let us create a hypothetical character called Reasonably Fast Guy Reasonably Fast Guy has a reaction of 4(8) and and Intuition of 5, 3 IPs, and a MGL-6.

Reasonably fast guy runs into the party in a hallway by accident, both sides make surprise tests. The mage is surprised. Now, being surprised, the mage cannot Stunball Reasonably Fast Guy, or take any action against him whatsoever. Reasonably Fast Guy can, however, fire 6 airburst grenades at the mage.

The only hope is that the party has in this case is a speedster faster than Reasonably Fast Guy, who might have the drop on him or who, at least, will be going first.
rangda
QUOTE (Ddays)
Everybody on the team fulfils a valid role. The mage is perfectly willing to play ball, I'm just kind of annoyed that the game isn't exactly balanced in terms of what combat contribution each character can bring forth at what effort. When a mage can kick as much ass and have three times the utility of a cyber sammie, I would like to fix it without being forced to come up with a situation that specifically smacks down the mage's effectiveness.

It's a role playing game. Strictly speaking it doesn't have to be balanced as you're not playing it in a competitive environment. If the mage is dominating combats talk to the player and point this out and ask him to tone it down so others can be involved.

In our game I have a magic 6 grade 5 mage who has a spellcasting dice pool of 22-23 dice (I forget the exact number) for combat spells and 18 dice to resist drain. And has 1 point of cyber which includes ears and eyes; I *could* split my dice pool and cast 3 stunballs / round or cast F12 stunballs with impunity but I don't. My character ends up being the 2nd most powerful character in combat (our party only has one character designed for combat) because I throttle him back and play him appropriately stupid. (Our GM is also reasonable in that he doesn't have every mook immediately drop what they are doing in an attempt to vaporize the mage, so I can be appropriately stupid). As a result combats are entertaining for even the non-combat types.

If it bothers you that much that a mage could in theory break things, then disallow casting multiple spells per combat turn and double the drain for overcasting, but honestly I don't think it matters if nobody does it.

If the player won't be reasonable (but from what you've said it sounds like he will be) then give the team a run for something important and have the something important guarded by a grade 4-5 initiate with absorbtion and 6 dice in counterspelling. (At the risk of digression if you think magic is broken it's nothing compared to how broken shielding and absorbtion are; high grade initiates and their best friends are basically immune to magic.) That will give the baddies 10-11 dice in shielding and I don't think the team will be very fond of the F12 spellls that come back at them.
DTFarstar
Yeah, magic is overpowered in basically every RPG. It just happens by it's fundamental nature. The thing is, the mage should be bringing something to the table just like all the other characters. If the mage is bringing combat doom, then what is the sammie bringing? Support? If the sam has combat covered, encourage the mage to find his own niche. Again, apply visibility modifiers halfway intelligent sec forces should use cover, smoke etc. just for the firefight anyway, don't let the mage ignore it. Keep in mind you can't stunball/manaball/powerball what you cannot see. Cover! Cover! Cover!

If the enemies use poor tactics, and like I said in another thread, seriously magic has been around for how long now? 60 years? You can't tell me that there isn't at least a class or two in sec guard school about breaking LOS, throwing up smoke and flash packs, retreating to a warded area, and hitting the big red "Oh shits we are being attacked by a mage!" Button that summons the astral sec mage and his elemental friends. Or even nastier guardian/plant spirit friends to manifest. These are not smacking down on the mage! They are reasonable security precautions on the companies part against a threat that has been known for 60 years!

Chris
Glayvin34
QUOTE (rangda)
It's a role playing game. Strictly speaking it doesn't have to be balanced as you're not playing it in a competitive environment. If the mage is dominating combats talk to the player and point this out and ask him to tone it down so others can be involved.

Excellent point. It could be the player, not the character. We used to have a player that would always overcast and always send force 6 spirits after every enemy. He was a very competitive person, and was dominating combat as a result and we thought it was because of how powerful Mages are. Once he left, Mages didn't dominate combat so completely because the Mages in the game weren't played by players that weren't competitive and therefore less ruthless and single-minded during combat.
Kyoto Kid
...yeah I had that experience myself as a GM. Don't get me wrong, Mages are still tough if done well. However, now I have a team that plays in a much more balanced manner so that everyone is a part of the action instead of one person hogging it all.
Prester John
Stunball is an area effect spell. So if you want to cut its utility a bit, have some of the guards move in for melee combat. Maybe a few of them rush in with stunbatons. Clearly, they won't run across a hundred meter long open courtyard to do this, but with the blind turns common in a lot of building, if the NPCs have access to the buildings security cameras or something, they can plan ambushes where stun-batoning a couple surprised PCs is an effective strategy.

If just a few guys are in melee range, or have taken cover within a few meters, the mage's ability to stunball the whole world into submission is greatly reduced. If the opposing security team is within 12 meters of the PCs, then the mage has to make some tough decisions about withholding spell-casting dice.
WorkOver
this seems like a GM problem to me.

If you are fighting in a building, how is your own team not hit by a 12 meter radius spell?

That would cover several rooms.

Why are your bad guys just sitting out in the open, and not behind cover, as they are involved in a fight.

Why does your mage keep going so soon in the combat round? Even with a 6 intuition, 6 reaction, improved reaction spell, improved intuition spell, have them all active, and got maxed out rolls, they have an initiative of 18 reaction max.

If the combat mage has those two spells up, maxed reaction, maxed intuition, fighting idiots in a wide open space, no cover, 3 will power ratings, while none of your team just happens to be in a space about as wide as half a football field, then more power to the mage.

A little smarter tactics, a street same who is worth being a street sam, and a GM with the testicles to strong arm a player who is strong arming your game, and mages go away.

I have never, and I mean never, ever had a problem with a mage.

One player even work armur, and sustained an over casted armour spell, he walked around with 32 points of armour.

I mind controlled him, had him blind fold himself, hit him with decrease charisma, which is always fun, and packed hand grenades around him while he was standing in a mindless stupor, and exploded him.

this was after 3 or 4 sessions of him just trying to find ways to over power everyone and everything. Several warning where given. Finally, that was enough.

Also, I like to hit players with force 12 or 16 spells after they abuse them. Force 16 decrease charisma is a dirty trick, but once mage players get on your nerves, you need to apply the rules they like to use against thier group, the problem goes away.
Whipstitch
Going first is as easy as spending a point of Edge. As a general rule smart mages keep Edge for Initiative and Binding tests that look like they're going sour. Also, an Intuition tradition combat mage with Reaction Enhancers and Improved reflexes running through a sustaining focus is faster than hell and a lot less expensive than what you're suggesting.
Feshy
The first time one of those low-ranking mooks happens to be an initiate mage supervisor with improved masking, spell reflect, and a counterspelling focus -- well, it might not be the last time the mage tosses a force 12 stunball, but it will be the last time he does so with impunity. A rare event, to be sure -- but a memorable one.

Force 12 spells hang around on the astral for half a day. That's a long time for a forensic mage to analyze it. After a few runs, the mage will have quite the security profile, and likely have left some physical samples around. That gives the higher-up corp mages incentive to send out some high force spirits -- spirits that track the character when he's trying to rest off that high spell drain. Or worse, when he's meeting with Johnson to exchange the goods for some pay. The paranoid Johnson -- the one with snipers on the stuffer shack down the road in case the team tries to double cross him.

Of course, in my opinion, if the mage is leaving around extremely high force spell signatures regularly, he's lucky if only security guards notice it. Do you have any idea what a great find he'd be to an insect spirit hive? If he can toss around spells like that, they'll reason he's a perfect target to make a flesh-form. Maybe even a queen!

There have always been magically resistant beasties in Shadowrun lore, have some of them show up with some security guards guiding them. Then there's something for both the Sam and the Mage to do. Add in a few drones, and everyone's buys at once!

Remember mooks have edge too -- and can spend it to go first. They can take actions like tossing a grenade while running for cover. If they're caught by surprise? Well, taking out a pile of hapless and unwitting goons quietly is great work for a mage. And the street sam will have plenty to do when a dozen biomonitors go off in the security office simultaneously...

Tactics, tactics, tactics. Security goons don't want to be geeked by the mage. They're no doubt trained to avoid them (avoiding LOS, vision modifiers, spending edge to get to a safe spot first.) Security drones, on the other hand, are cheap -- far cheaper than security guard death benefits or hospital bills. Security goons are just there for the "human" element, and to make judgment calls -- calls like "now is a good time to turn the drones / hellhounds loose."

As others have said, "canary in a coal mine" is another job to fill. This comic sums it up well: Order of the Stick
WorkOver
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Dec 19 2007, 12:42 PM)
Going first is as easy as spending a point of Edge. As a general rule smart mages keep Edge for Initiative and Binding tests that look like they're going sour. Also, an Intuition tradition combat mage with Reaction Enhancers and Improved reflexes running through a sustaining focus is faster than hell and a lot less expensive than what you're suggesting.

Really? all that cyber? Then how does he toss force 12 spells? If he does it with magic, it still costs.....

The power focus costs a lot of money, the high attributes cost a lot of build points.

A lot of edge cost a lot of build points.

A high spellcasting skill costs a lot of build points.

How are all these theory mages just hanging around?

Lets see, he is human, so he gets 2 edge, thats free, so unless he spends build points, how does he just conviently go first? Why can't an NPC also spend an edge to go first to counter it?

Reaction enhancers? The spell? Thats 3 build points to buy that spell, and plus the foci.

+3 reaction to max out your human reaction, requires a rating 3 sustaining spell foci, thats 30 grand, and its 12 availibility. 30K is 6 build points, plus the 3 to buy the spell, thats nearly 10 build points.

10 more, to do the same for the improved reflexes.

How much edge does he buy?

Where are the characters getting all these build points from? How pitiful are their other attributes? If he has a 1 strength, he is getting his strength drained, and rendered unconscious or paralyzed.

How many times can he buy a first action before he runs out of edge to go first? As a GM, each one of his NPC's can do the same, except they don't have to worry about needed edge for the next encounter.

I don't know, force 12 stun blasts are never abused in my games, as they are so easy to counter, just like any mage is, hell, you can counter a stun blast buy buying an NPC magic resistance, as in the edge, and bio/cyber that ignores stun. Hell, a damage compensator will push one box to physical and help more.

The whole mage being over powered crap is nothing more than weak GM's who don't want to go the extra 2 inches to use what is available to him to keep them in check.
Apathy
QUOTE (Ddays)
Well, my main problem is that anything that foils specifically high force stunball foils almost everything else he can do short of calling up a spirit in reserve.
  • Stunball won't work well on the guy hiding behind the dumpster lobbing grenades at you...for this you need an Indirect AOE spell like fireball or a spirit.
  • Stunball won't work against the drone (which doesn't even have a stun track and you'd need 4 hits to affect it anyway)...for this you need an elemental effect spell like lightning bolt or something to limit its mobility like ice sheet or a spirit with accident power.
  • As someone else pointed out, area effect spells hit friendlies (including yourself) as well as enemies, so AoE spells aren't ideal if your team is in the same area as the opposition. (It's easy to see bad guys if your in a parking lot, but inside a twisty-turny office hallway with lots of doorways to hide behind, you're screwed.) SR doesn't have facing rules, so it doesn't really matter if your looking at them or not - as long as there's an uninterupted straight line of visibility to the guy behind you he's hit just as bad as the guy in front of you.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (WorkOver)

How are all these theory mages just hanging around?

The whole mage being over powered crap is nothing more than weak GM's who don't want to go the extra 2 inches to use what is available to him to keep them in check.

Look, I know you don't know me or my playstyle, but I don't talk "theory" about Awakened characters, I play them; almost exclusively, in fact. Second, you're being an ass when you call the people on this thread asking about how to keep -combat- spells from wrecking their games weak GMs. Personally, I don't even think Mages are particularly overpowered, but my opinion doesn't do much good for those people whose combats are being steamrolled by force 8+ combat spells, but telling them that Initiative is only a small part of the equation that needs to include other considerations is a step in the right direction.

Here's a Mystic Adept Combat Mage sheet I have laying around. I've never really played it because Combat Mages aren't my style; I leave indiscriminate killing to the Samurai because they don't have to worry about dragging foci through wards and leaving astral signatures all over the place, plus there's a lot more useful things a -real- mage could be doing other than subbing in for a sammy. I'm afraid he only casts Force 8 Stunballs rather than 12, but at least he has 17 dice for combat tests. Sorry if that disappoints. nyahnyah.gif

Now that I think about it, I should probably tweak this sheet and see if it'd make a passable Combat Mage for the Sample thread. Probably wouldn't work though; it rather sucks at close range comat...

[ Spoiler ]
Ddays
A lot of people are saying its a GMing problem, but seriously, I have infinite resources. If I want to make the game unfavorable to mages, I can do it easily. Very easily.

On why the mage has the space: This is mostly a tactics thing, the team is pretty good with spacing and scouting using various means. Sure, it's gone bad once or twice, but most of the time, they hit fast and they hit hard.

And since stunballs can't hit people the mage can't see. The rest of the team gets behind cover. Sometimes the guards catch on, sometimes they don't.

On why he wins initiative - 2 words, surprise round

The team as a whole makes it a point to keep their backs covered at all times, so I generally try to make sure ambushes only occur when they chill at a bar or relax. A bunch of bar regulars walked up and bought them drinks, then started shock glove pimp slamps all around. The mage and the hacker went down quick, but the troll was able to handle all the gangers by himself. So yeah, I can make combats where the mage doesn't instantly win, no problem.

And I don't have a problem with the mage, I really don't. And I never said the mage was a problem character, he isn't. The real problem is that the mage and the rest of the team has gotten comfortable with a style of combat that works for them, but which spreads out the rolling in phases which makes the session a bit dry for the story I want to tell, so I'm looking for ways to switch it up a little.

I just want a way to make him mix up his spell casting a little before it gets too dry for everybody. The first couple times a combat ended with the force 12 stunball everybody was happy about it. Now I just wish there was a way to recreate fights like the corridor fight from Matrix 1 reliably.

And no, retirement isn't an option, yet. (I want to finish my story arc, they already have the next batch of characters ready)

And thanks again Apathy, your ideas for combat are always interesting.

And for guys who want his stats, they aren't really broken or min/maxed, he has a bunch of weaknesses for me to exploit and I'm not sure if he bought absolutely everything he needed, but here's the most convenient stat sheet I have, when he submitted the character:

[ Spoiler ]

I think the build has a few emergency points left over so that I had some twiddle room to give him whatever he was missing.

I don't have the one with karma gains on hand because that's the physical paper one and I let them keep those.
Fortune
QUOTE (WorkOver)
Hell, a damage compensator will push one box to physical and help more.

Damage Compensators do not work the way you seem to think they work. eek.gif
hyzmarca
Well, if the only problem is stunball spamming then why not just start giving out Pain Editors, the bioware where allows you to ignore all stun damage? Or bring back old style stim patches and put them in auto-injectors.
Ddays
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Well, if the only problem is stunball spamming then why not just start giving out Pain Editors, the bioware where allows you to ignore all stun damage? Or bring back old style stim patches and put them in auto-injectors.

I'm not about to give pain editors to every joe average when my own runners want them and can't afford the cost nor the availability. wink.gif

About the auto-injectors, never thought about that.
hyzmarca
It only works if you houserule stims back to negating stun damage like they did in SR3 instead of just providing pain resistance, or create a new sort of drug. It might kill the grunts in the long term, particularly if they take a second stunball, but it'll keep them awake and on their feet just a little bit longer.
Ddays
Oh, I already have a house-rule regarding stimpatches - when you apply a stimpatch, you can stay awake with your stun meter full as long as your physical damage doesn't exceed the rating of the stimpatch.

We find that it makes stun damage slightly weaker than physical, which is balanced especially considering the other advantages stun damage already provides (prisoners, interrogation, bounties, etc.). Not to mention the fact that stun damage is slightly easier to deal with the current equipment.

So mooks do routinely apply stim patches if they're about to be knocked out, presuming they're actually awake when the first stunball hits.
Starmage21
If youve got a magic rating of 6, and you feel safe enough to cast a force 12 stunbolt, why not just cast 2 F6 stunbolts instead? Split your dice pool in 2, give them 2 chances to resist some of the damage, and yourself 2 chances to absorb much less STUN drain, but 10 stun damage is crippling if theyre not unconscious alltogether.
Ddays
Spellcasting is a complex action, and its safer to knock out the opponents before they can even get one pass to smack your face or call reinforcements.

Unless you're on a sensitive mission where periodic checkups by a central booth are required, security guards knocked out before they can signal warning means that reinforcements, if they do arrive, arrive too late. At least, that's how I do it as a GM.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ddays @ Dec 20 2007, 09:05 AM)
Spellcasting is a complex action ...

It may be a Complex Action, but you can indeed cast multiple spells at the same time, in that single Complex Action. They don't even have to be the same two (or three, or four) spells either.
Konsaki
There is that problem of +2 drain per spell you cast in one IP though... that hurts...
Fortune
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Dec 20 2007, 09:08 AM)
There is that problem of +2 drain per spell you cast in one IP though... that hurts...

Not terribly, because you're casting at a lower Drain level to start with (in the case of multiple Combat spells as in the example), and you have your full Pool to resist the Drain from each spell.

Personally, I'd multi-cast the Spells at Force 5 (odd levels are almost always the best in Shadowrun). Maybe even 3 of them, depending on the situation (and have in quite a few games), since the Drain is low enough even at +4 or even +6 DL per spell.
Gort
I think all of the stunning options are overpowered in Shadowrun. I'm quite surprised anyone uses lethal weapons, seeing as it's more effective to stun people.

Most serious opposition for runners will have more physical track than stun, and more ballistic armour than impact. Gel rounds go against impact and hit the stun track. Electric ammunition and melee weapons go against HALF impact armour and hit the stun track, and the melee weapons don't require the stupid levels of strength it takes to use the other melee weapons effectively. Stunball and stunbolt have lower drain levels than physically damaging spells.

It really isn't hard to make a character who never kills anyone, ever. One might even call it optimal. If only real life was like that...
Ddays
QUOTE (Gort)
It really isn't hard to make a character who never kills anyone, ever. One might even call it optimal. If only real life was like that...

Yeah, we all know how easy stun damage is to deal.

I have some houserules in effect that make stun damage slightly less effective, and you can never guarantee 0 collateral damage.
Konsaki
QUOTE (Ddays)
QUOTE (Gort)

Yeah, we all know how easy stun damage is to deal.

I have some houserules in effect that make stun damage slightly less effective, and you can never guarantee 0 collateral damage.

Well, one thing to consider is that when someone gets hit with a stun gun/baton, it's electrical in nature, which makes the muscles seize up and spazm.
If the victim has a gun in hand, the trigger finger yanks automaticly while the arm jerks wildly for a second. You could random roll for everyone infront of said person for a chance to be hit by a single/burst/fullauto fire. Depends on how reallistic/evil you want to be as a GM.

For spells, I cant do nothing about that I guess. But the grossly increased signature on the astral sorta leaves a 'I'm Bob the Mage' sign in the area. Plus if just one of the guys being hit with that stunball has a biomonitor hooked up to an alarm, your team could be in serious trouble from a Quick Response Team, which might have mage(s) overwatching.
Spike
It seems the real problem then is that the combats have become comfortable, routine.

One thing combat should never be is comfortable.

So: Shake things up, break their patterns, their habits. If they've been around for a while, using these techinques, then their "MO' will be known by their enemies and exploited.

Security companies will adapt too...
Ddays
QUOTE (Spike)
It seems the real problem then is that the combats have become comfortable, routine.

Yeah, that's part of it.

But it just seems to me that in a lot of the situations I can come up with, stunball is still the go to combat spell. And if I introduce the horde of drones, then the hacker just tries to hack them all, while the mage sits on the sidelines.

If I introduce a mixture of drones and humanoids, it's still better for the mage to cast stunball and take out the hummies. Though at least the combat involves the entire group. Which explains why that's my default encounter for these guys.

I just want to mage to say, "Gee, I wish I took fireball, sure would be handy right about now." once in his career.
hyzmarca
Props can make the RPG combat experience much more exciting.
Cthulhudreams
Add civilians? Civilians with low body and will so overflow will kill them if you go in for huge overcast stunballs wink.gif
Spike
QUOTE (Ddays)

But it just seems to me that in a lot of the situations I can come up with, stunball is still the go to combat spell. And if I introduce the horde of drones, then the hacker just tries to hack them all, while the mage sits on the sidelines.

If I introduce a mixture of drones and humanoids, it's still better for the mage to cast stunball and take out the hummies. Though at least the combat involves the entire group. Which explains why that's my default encounter for these guys.

I just want to mage to say, "Gee, I wish I took fireball, sure would be handy right about now." once in his career.

Therein lies the heart of the matter. The Mage has the luxury of letting the hacker hack all the drones. That's not a challenging fight. He's COMFORTABLE letting the hacker hack..

I've discussed 'unhackable' Drones before, the ones where they are given filled command qeues and the wireless is physically disabled, or it uses a non-standard protocol like tightbeam laser signalling that can't properly be hacked.

That and 'counterhackers' are going to be more common than counter-mages, so the hacker should be sweating balls to shut down any given drone with the rest of the party sweats balls trying to stop the onslaught the hard way (bullets in other words)...

All the while the Mage is going 'why oh why didn't I take FIRE-ball', or failing that starts sweating balls because some highly paid securty mage-initiate is trying to rain death down on the party in the form of nasty spells and high force spirits.

At this point in their career (coming up on your supposed 'end game') there is no reason why their opponents should not be more comparable to their skills and MO. They've been around a while and they probably have some rep, some enemies, and some freinds that are really enemies. If not: Get some!

Siege
And if you really, really want to mess with the players, add a dash of realism to the mix:

1. "What? Whaddayamean that fragging has a <duck> Savalette Guardian!?! Who knew he was a gun nut on the side? Holy drek, is that Triple EXXX explosive tips?' That stuff reviewed in 'Solo of Fortune' - so powerful only trolls and geardos will use it?"

2. "Um...why is that secretary frothing at the mouth and looks like she's gonna leap the table at us? What? Who the frag takes kamikaze recreationally?"

3. "What? What the hell is a corporate accountant doing with a Body and Strength of 6!?! Muscle and Fitness magazine?"

4. Random bystander is a weekend warrior who just happens to be a reasonably good shot.

5. Chiphead freaks out at gunfire and starts reliving "GunBunny IV: Bambi, locked and loaded."

6. Homeless guy is a vet of the Desert Wars and is still sporting some 'ware.

7. Random driveby or nut decides to open fire. Contagious funfire - a group of people start shooting and everyone nearby with a weapon opens up.

8. Old woman loses control of her car and collides into...<random location>.

One GM at a 'Con used a random magical effects table - <gm> it's raining. <us> Right - Seattle, got it. <gm> Frogs. <us>...

Trust me, sometimes dumb stuff just...happens. It keeps life interesting.

-Siege

Edit: The new, upgraded version of our "Mr. Macho!" personafix chip! Are you timid? Afraid? Scared of new surroundings? Be the master of board meetings! Be confident when you meet that hot chick at the bar! Show that ork bouncer who's really the boss!

In game terms, otherwise timid wageslaves who should be diving for cover start reaching for weapons instead. eek.gif
Whipstitch
Ah, yes, the surprisingly competent "bystander" can be a lot of fun. One time the resident min-maxed 4 body 1 strength elf sammy in my group was suffering from some wound modifiers when the dwarven cleaning staff tackled and subdued him with their racial 3-7 strength range.
Apathy
QUOTE (Ddays)
Spellcasting is a complex action, and its safer to knock out the opponents before they can even get one pass to smack your face or call reinforcements.

If they're wearing biomonitors (and as cheap as they are, it would be stupid for the corps not to issue them), knocking the guards out does call for reinforcements.

The better option on that first action would be something like control thoughts/control actions/mob mind/spirit possession. Mental manipulations don't set off biomonitors, and can make the guard compliant.

QUOTE (Ddays)
And since stunballs can't hit people the mage can't see. The rest of the team gets behind cover. Sometimes the guards catch on, sometimes they don't.

If you're casting a spell with a 12-meter (~40') radius inside an office or hallway, then chances are you and your whole team is inside the area of effect. (I just paced off my office, and it's only 40 feet wide. and it's a giant 'cube farm'. Most offices would be much smaller.) For your teammates to not get hit with the spell they don't need cover from the center of the blast (that would be an indirect spell), they need cover from you. And it's not enough that you not be looking that way; they have to have something physically blocking LOS to be immune. And there's no way that the caster doesn't have LOS to himself. This is rarely an issue when casting a force 4 or force 6 stunball unless the guards are right up on you, but when you overcast at force 12 that huge radius creates logistical issues.

So, if the guards burst out of the office 10 feet away, stunball won't do you much good unless you're willing to take down your teammates too. If they're 40 feet away and in plain sight you can take them down no problem, but it's almost as easy (and doesn't cost drain or leave a signature) to use a grenade launcer.
Ddays
QUOTE (Apathy)
So, if the guards burst out of the office 10 feet away, stunball won't do you much good unless you're willing to take down your teammates too. If they're 40 feet away and in plain sight you can take them down no problem, but it's almost as easy (and doesn't cost drain or leave a signature) to use a grenade launcer.

Yes, because the burnt remains of a corporate office is so much better than an astral signature. rotfl.gif

Yeah, the teammates actually do get cover from the mage. Especially in the cubicle systems you describe, it's fairly easy to scurry behind a wall and hide from your own mage while the surprised enemy gets stun balled. Or even more likely, they were behind the mage in the first place.

My team tries their best to not have guards run into their position without them knowing, so the whole guards burst in moment rarely happens. More often than not, they get the drop on the guards.

Hm, I guess I'll just have to push the limits on what I think they can handle and see if they surprise me. I hope they have a good way of fighting the enemy mage who drops the force 15 stunball first round of combat.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ddays)
Yes, because the burnt remains of a corporate office is so much better than an astral signature.

More often than not, yes!
Whipstitch
Sadly, yeah it IS a lot better to just leave a charred building. And if you don't believe that, well, obviously you've never been hit by a high Force Ignite spell targeted via ritual magic. dead.gif
Ddays
Haha, it may be more dangerous to leave behind a peace of yourself as a mage. But retaliation's probably a bit smaller given that at the very least you left the dude's building intact. (And his guards alive, but then again, I thought the corp is going to care about that)
GentlemanLoser
As for hitting your own teamates with a force 12 Stunball. Easy. The mage just counterspells his teammates before the run. Magic versus Stat + Counterspelling should give them a good chance of not getting hit. Same with the Mage hitting himself...

That's the problem with Direct spells. They are all or nothing. You rule combat with them, or you plain suck.

There is no inbetween, there is no struggle, no suspense.

You either rule totally with them, or shouldn't either bother rolling.

As for ranged combat visibility penaties, why do they apply? For an AoE spell like Stunball, you don't aim it at someone, you just need to be able to see the centre of the spells AoE (maybe requiring a perception test). Then everyone in the AoE *should* get hit. Even if they're stealthing with a super 40 dice stealth skill, or Invisble.

But the actual rule states that only 'visible' targets in the AoE get hit. :/

So people could just stand behind the Mage. Or if the mage closes his eyes, no one gets hit by it. :/

Hmmm.. Is the mage a visible target for himself, if he's not looking at himself? It's noted that AoE spells hit the caster if they are within the AoE...

Heh. By this reasoning, and Invisible target within a Fireball AoE wouldn't get burned. As they aren't a visible target. So would someone holding something in front of them that totally obscures them from the mages sight (turning over a table maybe?) would totally protect them from a Fireball.... As would being behind the Mage protect everything, even flammable material, from a Fireball...

Bah. AoE's should hit any target in the Area of Effect.

wink.gif

Ddays
I believe fireball still works out of LOS cause you create a giant ball of fire rather than actively targetting the people in a specific area, but that could just be my memory playing tricks on me.

I believe my team's best method for getting around friendly fire on a stunball was having the hacker put up convenient AR blinds where his teammates are.

Sure, he can still see the enemies perfectly fine, but his teammates are nowhere to be found come time to fire off the epic stunball.

Luckily, I convinced them that the tactic was against the spirit of the rules, so dropping dice to control spell area remained a viable tactic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012