Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow Schools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Speed Wraith
So my group has a teenaged character in it. A character that the other characters more or less dote on (except the recently burned ex-special forces guy, but he’s just generally detached), and they don’t like her being out of school. Of course, they’re also not putting her in any typical school as she’s a technomancer and socially inept from too much time in a MCT laboratory. She’s clearly a special needs child. So one of the players suggested looking into some sort of “Shadow School� for the kid; reasoning that such things must exist in some way. I’ve been putting a lot of thought into this (I wish I could find my copy of Neo-Anarchist’s Guide to Real Life because that would be the only book that might cover this topic that I can think of) and have decided to put my thoughts up here for review and ideas and critique. So here you go: Education For Those Outside Mainstream Society. Have at it smile.gif

The Low End
On the low end of the schooling spectrum are schools that are little than more cheap daycare consisting of one or two adult metahumans taking care of a dozen or more children of various ages. In general these places are a dumping ground for low or squatter lifestyle children while their parents slave at McHugh’s or sling drugs on a street corner. Little to no education occurs in a location like this, and the proprietors probably make more money off of government assistance than their clients.

Benefits: Cheap, dirt cheap. Records are rarely kept or verified.
Drawbacks: Little supervision over the children in the daycare’s custody. Prone to abusive employees or open to heavy neglect.

How the Other Half Lives
Those with money receive the best of everything, including education. Those who can afford them will often use large private schools to socialize and educate their children, as well as keeping them out of their parent’s hair. Schools of this quality range in cost, and the more expensive the school the better the classes, facilities, and instructors. In addition, a lot of these schools have specialty programs for all sorts of tastes and cultural backgrounds.

Benefits: High quality education. Secure facility and large staff.
Drawbacks: Heavy record keeping and a lot of background checks. Bribes in the form of donations can often get faculty at these schools to look the other way or let paperwork slide, but this increases the cost of the schooling to the next highest level of life style.

Shadow Schools
Some denizens of the shadows may not be able to afford the bribes to get a child into a high-end school, and working as a shadow runner can be dangerous not just for one’s self, but also for their family. That is why most major sprawls contain at least one Shadow School. Shadow Schools are hard to fully quantify as each one is unique. Almost all of them are used by their clients to keep their kids safe while working the shadows, and to discourage the children from becoming involved (or more deeply involved) with criminal activities. The education provided by these schools almost always includes basic skills such as reading, writing, mathmatics and basic computer/matrix skills. Some of them also count more advanced studies as part of their curriculum, while others teach street survival skills to the children under their care. Generally, these schools are housed in the barrens, using abandoned buildings such as warehouses, apartment low-risers and stores. Despite their locations and campuses, these schools are fairly secure. Often, local gangs or organized criminal syndicates receive free or discounted ‘tuition’ for allowing these places to operate on their turf or for protecting them outright. In addition, an unspoken truce remains in effect for the schools with the local criminal and shadow running community. This truce even extends to most corporations and local government. It simply doesn’t pay to mess with a child in these schools as the parents would come after the offender en masse.

Benefits: No paperwork/bureaucracy. Affordable with far better quality than the low-end daycares. High Security.
Drawbacks: Lack of consistency in educational standards (i.e., you might not want your children gaining criminal skills but the school may teach them as a matter of course).
sunnyside
Back in Virtual Realities they had some kind of "teachbot" agent that would teach and drop in a bunch of pro corp drek.

hat would probably appeal to the TM. But then you miss the awkward social interactions.

Speed Wraith
Yeah, I remembered that and used it in the Lone Star daycare when the characters were undercover. Of course, that software is also loaded with adverts for the new breakfast cereal Super-Nova-Sugar-Choco-Bombs (which you’ve just decided all on your very own, that you must have NOW!)
CanRay
I like the idea of Shadow Schools!

"Today, class, we're going to learn how to intimidate some dumb drekhead into paying what is owed."

"You're including KIDS in this?"

"They got to learn sometimes. Now, if you move his arm like this, it's very painful to the shoulder and elbow, but won't cause any major bruising..."

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"What about kicking him in the shins?"

"Very good question, Mandy..."

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

"Shut up. You should have paid up, now you pay this way. Kicking in the shins is only a temporary hurt, whereas this will linger for days. In fact, if you do it wrong, or right, it can come back as a dull ache whenever it rains..."
Leofski
We have our own little technomancer girl with her own box of social interaction issues (some of which involve incoming fire and bullets), but the nice guys in our party are not really the type to look after small children so we fobbed her off on our fixer's girlfriend. J.D, my technomancer face, takes some part in her education, but since he doesn't know a great deal that isn't related to technomancy or crime, he tends to stick to the technomancy.

I can't see the idea of shadow schools per se. It just doesn't make sense to me since low end state schools are going to be approaching that level anyway. In terms of actual criminal education, it's back to the traditional methods; self-taught skills, a mentor for skilled and knowledge intensive crime jobs like forgery, in-gang group training and making it up as you go along. Note that these are distinct from the application of a "civilian" education to criminal work.
Speed Wraith
Well, the best reasons to send your kids to a school like this are less educational and more security/privacy related. I'm certain that public education doesn't exactly exist anymore; at best they're sponsored to death by some corporate entity, and therefore practically propaganda camps and at their worst they're wholly owned by the companies they've been outsourced to. A good lawyer might be able to claim extraterritorality on school grounds by the company owning the school and be able to use the kids as guinea pigs for whatever they want. Also, thanks to DNA, it wouldn't be hard to track down parents and relatives of the school children, compare them to persons that the corporation has an open file on and blam-o, now you have a kid being spoon-fed corporate claptrap while being fed some new drug and pending hostage status. The folks on the streets are paranoid, many have been burned by powerful organizations, they need a place that they can feel their children are safe.
DocTaotsu
I really would like to work a The Diamond Age style Book 'O Uber Learning into my game. The idea of an advanced tailored learning system makes my transhumanist gland tingle.
Blade
You can add some "Class of 1999" schools! Complete with killer cyborg teachers!
Tarantula
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 29 2008, 09:42 AM) *
(i.e., you might not want your children gaining criminal skills but the school may teach them as a matter of course).

The pun kills me. rotfl.gif
stevebugge
Another source of free or low cost education would be the various policlubs and organizations. Before being exposed for being a bunch of Bugs the Universl Brotherhood did a good recruiting business by running schools and clinics. It stands to reason that Human kinds with the right traits could get a free indoct er education from the local chapter of Humanis or the local Orcs from O.R.C. Anyone with an agenda knows the value of recruiting kids at an impressionable age to be their foot soldiers.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Don't overlook the oft forgotten local church. They often have daycares, though they have an altogether different propaganda than the corps. Still, as churches want to appear benign, they might take in little Sociopath Jr. for free.
Speed Wraith
Yeah, excellent point. I need to expand my article to focus on public education and poli-education smile.gif Though for now I need to focus on the stuff my players need more wink.gif As for the churches...I'm thinking a lot of Shadow Schools would probably be affiliated with them, maybe even start from a simple congregational Sunday school base. Other churches would fall into the poli-club section as they'd be indoctrinating the students on dogma, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts on pricing these things out? I was working on pricing them based on lifestyle ratings, but hadn't come up with specific numbers yet...
stevebugge
Costs aren't always money. Your local Catholic School may provide education for free in exchange for donated manual labor or help in the community. A policlub may expect that it's students will help with things like spreading their message or showing up to events to make the crowds look big. Some organizations may just want your body to host an insect spirit.
weblife
VR Schools is probably common. Shut off the kid using the override and hand him over to the cyber-nanny for a few hours pr. day. Healthy and safe. Now wheres my beer, there's a game on the trid.
nezumi
Broadly, we have two categories, SINless and SINned...

SINless has a range, based on available resources (both financial and other). The most common is probably, well, none. Imagine Oliver Twist and you're on the right track. Half a step above is whatever the local gang will give you. 'If Bobby has 10 yer BTL chips, and burns out 8 bein' a chiphead, how many caps yo put in 'is ass'? Half a step beyond that you'll have volunteer organizations; churches, community groups, home-schoolers and honest teachers who, for whatever reason, are working here. Finally, as has been mentioned, there are some sort of tutorbots which will work, presumably with either a trodenet or datajack. I have to assume these are quite valued, however. But ultimately it'll come down to community 'teacher' or home-schooling.

Of course, if you have a SIN, of course, both of these ideas are looked down upon. I'm sure there is quite a publicity campaign as to why home-schooling is dangerous and non-regulated community teaching is ineffective (really not too different from what we're seeing now). Most SINned kids will go to public/corporate schools, however the very rich will have access to special, sheltered, charter schools, self-contained communities built from the ground up to support learning in a creative, supportive environment. This will be augmented by at-home lessons from dedicated tutors. In other words, only the very rich and the very poor get home-schooling and community-based teaching, everyone else is stuck with the 'one size fits all' corporate/government-run public school.
Leofski
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Apr 29 2008, 07:30 PM) *
Another source of free or low cost education would be the various policlubs and organizations. Before being exposed for being a bunch of Bugs the Universl Brotherhood did a good recruiting business by running schools and clinics. It stands to reason that Human kinds with the right traits could get a free indoct er education from the local chapter of Humanis or the local Orcs from O.R.C. Anyone with an agenda knows the value of recruiting kids at an impressionable age to be their foot soldiers.

Hey! Teachers! Leave those kids alone!

Its worth noting that there are large numbers of organisations that benefit from providing subsidised education to the masses. Governments and policlubs have obvious incentives to supply education, but corps have reason to provide education below or at cost outside of their own domains for the same reason. If a corp is providing cheap, good education in the area, there's little PR that comes close to being as good, they can headhunt the most promising students.

Nightwalker450
VR School, or put forth funds (bribes) to get them into a private school. As a runner these would probably be my options. I think private school would be better because it provides a nice cover, and if your student befriends some upper society people they'll help cover up any misdeeds so it doesn't scar Little Susie's perfect record.

I just think it'd be great to be a teenage shadowrunner, and going to a private school during the day. I want to do this for a character concept.

Unfortunatly my Technomancer is 19 (and missed out on the last few years of his corporate sponcered education), but why does it seem Technomancers are always the ones in school? biggrin.gif
Leofski
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Apr 29 2008, 07:58 PM) *
VR School, or put forth funds (bribes) to get them into a private school. As a runner these would probably be my options. I think private school would be better because it provides a nice cover, and if your student befriends some upper society people they'll help cover up any misdeeds so it doesn't scar Little Susie's perfect record.

I just think it'd be great to be a teenage shadowrunner, and going to a private school during the day. I want to do this for a character concept.

Unfortunatly my Technomancer is 19 (and missed out on the last few years of his corporate sponcered education), but why does it seem Technomancers are always the ones in school? biggrin.gif

Because on average they have the best mental stats of any character concept nyahnyah.gif. And the link with Otaku means people tend to view them as younger than other archetypes.

That said, my TM left school before he was in his teens, the rest is self-taught.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 29 2008, 11:42 AM) *
Shadow Schools
Some denizens of the shadows may not be able to afford the bribes to get a child into a high-end school, and working as a shadow runner can be dangerous not just for one’s self, but also for their family. ... It simply doesn’t pay to mess with a child in these schools as the parents would come after the offender en masse.

The only school in Seattle with a PTA that has it's own fixer. (probably also a parent.)
CanRay
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Apr 29 2008, 02:42 PM) *
The only school in Seattle with a PTA that has it's own fixer. (probably also a parent.)

"Folks, we're supposed to be responcible now, so, Joey, put the Deepweed down."

"Awwwwwwwwwwww, you're harshin' my buzz!"

"Now, onto today's topic: Autoshop Classes. Mr. "Crusher" Malone?"

"OK, while I'm happy that all the kids are overly eager to start in my class, honestly, our chop shop can't move that many stolen cars at once, so I'm going to have to space out the course curriculum with hotwiring, registration switching, and hacking the DMV with the help of our volunteer, Miss DataWyrm. I know, I know, this seems harsh, but we can't have all the kids boosting cars at once. And Damien, I'm sorry, your kid still failed last year, he did a CarJACKING, which is under our course on Intimidation, no Autoshop."
Speed Wraith
You guys just gave me an interesting idea for payment on those schools...Parents should be involved nyahnyah.gif

Also, I'm waiting for CanRay to do the dialogue from the class field-trip... wink.gif
SprainOgre
I really wouldn't forget about public school. I think the school from Akira when I think this. Also, you might see the return of the "one room school house." A few teachers, more idealistic then most (or ones that got bucked by the system), decided to start their own school, just a bit off the map. Set up in a few rooms in an abandoned building, or the lobby of an apartment building, trying to give everyone a good, reliable, well rounded education, not saturated by corporate propaganda.

However, with the bulk of Shadowrunning happening at night, I the oddball/random skills the lots of runners have, I can see a "community education project" springing up here and there. Something I've lifted from Cybergen. Outside of the corp zones, building and neighborhoods pitch in to raise the kids as a community. Results very, but usually there's some form of adult, with AR assistance, supervision about. Generation Gap (for Cybergen) had some decent info on corp school and the youth in them.
Wesley Street
Wouldn't some version of community homeschooling make sense for the SINless? I'd imagine that Barrens communities would use tribal or Wild West-style methods of oral, print or cheap electronic teaching methods for their children. No formal, education board-approved structure... just teach what needs to be known through repetition or apprenticeship.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (SprainOgre @ Apr 29 2008, 04:46 PM) *
I really wouldn't forget about public school. I think the school from Akira when I think this.

Any chance you could explain about that? I'm still putting notes together, so any insight would be helpful. I tried to watch Akira once a long time ago and found it tedious and boring...I know that fans are rabid about how great it is, but I just didn't get it...it was pretty, I remember that much. To each their own wink.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 29 2008, 04:52 PM) *
Any chance you could explain about that? I'm still putting notes together, so any insight would be helpful. I tried to watch Akira once a long time ago and found it tedious and boring...I know that fans are rabid about how great it is, but I just didn't get it...it was pretty, I remember that much. To each their own wink.gif

If I remember and interpret correctly, Kaneda, the protagonist, and his buddies were enrolled in a government sponsored technical college. It was more like a prison as the facilities were poor, the discipline was physically harsh (typically Japanese) and few of the students cared about what they were learning. They were there because they had committed some sort of petty crime and the government sought to "redeem" them by teaching them skills that would make them useful in the labor market.
Speed Wraith
Sounds about right for public schools in general to me, only everyone (that can't afford better) goes, not just the criminal element wink.gif Hey, I'm almost up to the fourth season of The Wire, which is supposed to focus on the Baltimore school system. I'm sure when it comes to grittiness and poor facilities, that'll be a big inspiration. biggrin.gif
SprainOgre
Yeppers, just what Wesley Street said.
Shiloh
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Apr 29 2008, 07:58 PM) *

I think it's because nowadays (howverlong after the Matrix Crash) most *new* TMs are kids coming into their powers. Technomancy is still in the "Feared and Poorlty Understood" category, but isn't as obvious as UGE was. So TMs are more likely to be kids dropping off the radar to avoid persecution, or escapees from MCT experiments.
CanRay
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 29 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Also, I'm waiting for CanRay to do the dialogue from the class field-trip... wink.gif

GTA IV is distracting me a lot at the moment, but I'll see what I can do. nyahnyah.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Apr 29 2008, 04:24 PM) *
Sounds about right for public schools in general to me, only everyone (that can't afford better) goes, not just the criminal element wink.gif Hey, I'm almost up to the fourth season of The Wire, which is supposed to focus on the Baltimore school system. I'm sure when it comes to grittiness and poor facilities, that'll be a big inspiration. biggrin.gif

Well, American teachers aren't legally allowed to kick the crap out of their students. smile.gif

I've seen season 4 of The Wire. It's a great inspiration and sadly very true to life as anyone who has taught in an American inner-city school can attest to. I'd say the main differences between it and Akira would be the ages of the students (The Wire: pre-teen/Akira: late-teen) and the primary goal of the facility (The Wire: keeping kids off the corners /Akira: redeeming a growing criminal element into a productive member of a communal society).
CanRay
"OK Kids, we're here. This... Is the Crime Mall. It is a den of scum and villainy filled with drug dealers, pimps, prostitutes, con artists, swindlers, mafioso, and thieves. ... Yes? Mikey?"

"Mr. Cooper, We could have gone to my Tenement building for those!"

*Everyone on bus laughs*

"Yes, but now we get to see them at work! OK, buddy system as usual. Everyone have their switchblades? Good. Jimmy, yes, you can use your Machete, you're a big enough Troll. All right then, remember, anything you get away with shoplifting is worth extra marks in Mrs. Didds urban survival class, but, if you're caught... We don't know your hoop from Adam."
Speed Wraith
*snicker* That's not the school they want to send the girl too, but one I want to attend nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
Completely optional skool trip. (No, I did not spell that wrong. nyahnyah.gif).
Ryusukanku
The students settled in giggling and tittering the way most children their age did but it instantly ceased when an elderly man in Green Victorian garb with a white moustache that connected his sideburns together entered. They watched with wide smiles as he walked behind the long table at the front of the class and with a grunt placed the pile of books in front of him before turning to the ancient chalk boards that hung on the foamcrete wall.

“Good morning class…�

“Afternoon sir.� Said Suzanna, a young elf girl who’s pretty features was only marred by a six inch scar up the left side of her face.

“Mmm? Beg pardon?�

“It’s the Afternoon sir.�

“Oh. So it is. So it is. Thank you Suzanne. Good afternoon class.�

*Good af-ter-noon Doc-tor Ab-Sin-The.* The class chanted in unison, laughing. They always enjoyed the mild mannered teacher’s absent minded ways.

“Uh now yes.. today our lessons shall be on geometry.�

“Chemistry.�

“Ah yes. Chemistry. It’s Tuesday isn’t it? Thank you Timmy.�

Absinthe pulled chalk from his pocket and began to write on the board in large Pink letters “CHEMISTRY� and underlined it twice.

“Last week we started talking about street drugs and how best to deal with them. I myself have never had anything worse than a little you may have guessed some Absinthe. Sometimes there’s nothing like dancing with the green fairy to help one’s creativity flow.�

Again the students laughed. Many had seen people on crap far worse than some herbal based alcohol. Far, far worse, so seeing this old man praising his recreational drink of choice was just laughable. Still he straightened his tie and turned to the class.

“Very well children. Your assignment was to research one drug in your neighborhood and share what we know of that with the class today. Who wants to be first?�

“OOH! OOH! ME! ME!� cried Tommy. A bulky ork boy who was waving a syringe filled with what looked like tar over his head.

“Tommy! Good to see you enthusiastic for a change. Oh and you have brought a sample. Very nice. Please bring it to the front of the class and tell us all about it.�

“Yeah. This stuff just hit the streets in Orktown, Doc. They call it Asphalt. It’s real bad. I’ve seen some of the gangs take it before they go on a hit.�

Tommy held the syringe over his head for everyone to see before pointing the needle into a bowl and squeezing out the small quantity of the tar-like material with great effort. Doc Absinthe held his Scrycorder over the bowl and hummed in an interested manner.
It was no secret from the kids that absinthe was a genius, and there were rumours he was some kind of wizard but when something interested him it was always fun for the class.

“I commend you on procuring a sample, Tommy. Tell us what the symptom are of usign Asphalt.�

“Well their veins turn all black and they get this faraway look in their faces. Like they’re staring straight through stuff. Y’know. Not like zombies cause they know what’s going on around them but like they can see right past what’s in front of them to what’s important. I’ve seen guys on this junk take enough bullets to build a car and still keep walking forwards empting and reloading theirs. Some of them live long enough to get patched up. Maybe that’s why folks call em Tar babies. They just soak up your lead like they was tar.�

The doctor wrote out the symptoms on the board in rapid speed.
Intense focus
Pain resistance/nullification
Emotion Suppression
Unusual vitality.

“Any side effects?�

“Uh… It don’t work on everyone. Weaker guys die from the first dose. Also after one shot you’re hooked. You wanna be Mr Frosty again so bad you’re willing to start gang wars just for the excuse to take the needle.�

The sound of chalk on slate continued.
Initial Overdose
Highly Addictive
Suicidal tendencies

“How did you get your hands on this, Tommy?� Absinthe asked, putting the chalk down and rooting through his bag.

“Well the Red Racers decided to hit the Fire Lords where they lived and I barely got to cover in time. Both sides were jacking up on Asphalt and just shot each other until they ran out of bullets then they went at each other with knives, clubs, axes, swords even their bare hands. They weren’t even yelling or screaming. They just took each other apart until there was nothing left but…� and Tommy motioned to the empty syringe on the desk and the drug in the small white bowl.

Doctor Absinthe wrote the words “Kilkenny Syndrome� on the board and walked around to the front with a small glass jar mounted on a Copper base with what looked like a small brass box mounted next to it with a pressure gauge. He picked up the bowl and put it inside and clamped the lid down.

“There once was two cats from Kilkenny
Who each thought there was one cat too many.
They fought and they fit
They scratched and they bit.
And instead of two cats there weren’t any.�

And as he finished the poem he flipped a switch and there was a bright electrical arc inside and the black ooze leapt up spattering against the glass as if trying to escape. There were murmurs and cries of surprise as the class craned forwards to watch the black blob battering the sides of the glass cylinder violently and futiley.

“Astounding. Simply astounding. Tommy you’re certain people were willingly shooting up with this compound.�

“Y-yes Doctor... how are you making it DO that?�

“Oh I ran a small electrical change through it. No worse than the average tazer. But that was a single shock which seems to have irritated this material. I was certain that I saw a spiritual signature from it, albeit a weak one but...�

Half the class were suddenly on their feet and scrambling to the back of the room, the rest who didn’t know any better ran up to the front for a better look.

“That thing’s a spirit?�

“Lemmie see! Lemmie See!�

“But it’s disgusting... aren’t spirits beautiful.�

“Move Over!�

“Calm down! Calm down children!� Absinthe raised his voice and began setting up a series of small items that looked like battery-powered vacuum tube lights around the container. “It does seem to be a Spirit... or at least part of one. I suspect what we are seeing here is some manner of Toxic Spirit.�

Suddenly the students at the front of the class gave both Absinthe and his desk a respectable berth, but were still close enough to watch him as he flicked each glowing tube on.

“But Doc... those things.. You told us about Toxic Spirits and how dangerous they are.�

“Indeed. Suzanna. They are very dangerous and malevolent by both human standards and that of Natural Spirits. At it’s core the psychology of a toxic spirit is one that revolves around expanding it’s territory... by destroying the territory of others. This little fellow... let’s call it Oozy for reference, is a type I have never heard of before. He’s well contained at the moment. The Exobotanical Containment Device seems capable of holding it’s physical form but I’ve taken the precaution of putting up a ward to reinforce it’s imprisonment.�

“It’s... it’s so small.�

“Indeed it is. As I said before it seems to be a fragment of a much larger being or it would have no doubt burst free and tried to kill us all.� Pulling out his scrycorder again Absinthe took more readings. As the class slowly found a middle point to watch him at work. “It seems to be a blend... a veritable SOUP of complex chemical compounds. In addition to some I can’t identify I’m reading various Antibiotics, Analgesics, Stimulants and some Hallucinogenics... All of them at medical grades. This is unprecedented behavior, thaumic-biology and tactics, class. We may be bearing witness to a whole new variety of Toxic Spirit. A Drug Spirit if you will.�

The class murmured and shuffled as they realised they were on the cusp of a great discovery. Absinthe’s classes were never dull but this was... exciting and frightening.

“Julie. Would you be a dear and please head to the teacher’s lounge and fetch as many magic capable teachers as you can find. As for the rest of us, let’s discuss this shall we?�

The red headded dwarf girl charged out of the class down the hall to do as she was told. Absinthe merely picked up his chalk and began writing on the board.

New Species of Toxic Spirit: Drug Spirit?

“Alright Class. Oozy here is our new project until the faculty arrives. What do we know about him?�

“It only makes certain people strong the rest it kills?�

“Very good. Very good. Oozy may be environment specific. Some factor in the body may be crucial to his existence. Suggestions?�

“It’s... it’s a toxic spirit so maybe it accidently OD’s people who are already on something?�

“Overdoses... excellent theory. Any others?�

“Maybe it loves to corrupt healthy people? At least healthy-er people.�

“Interesting, interesting. Corruption is a good possibility.�

“MAGIC!�

“Pardon me Suzanne?�

Suzanne took a deep breath and slowly exhaled before speaking.

“It’s a spirit, right? Maybe... maybe it needs bodies that have... magic talent. They think a lot of people have latent magic ability that’s never used... maybe this thing is trying to multiply or bodysnatch or whatever but it can only use people with magic potential. The rest who shoot up don’t have enough to sustain it and die trying.�

Absinthe’s chalk worked madly on the board and he nodded in agreement.

“Yes, yes... That makes sense. And it’s effects on the host is merely a form of false symbiosis. Something appealing to make potential hosts add increasing amounts of it to their systems. Of course as you pointed it’s ultimate reason for doing this is unknown... �

There was a sound at the door and everyone looked up to see a large assortment of Teachers peering in from the outside with Julie. Absinthe pulled out his brass pocket watch and arched an eyebrow.

“Well children... it seems that will be all for today. Please gather your personals and exit in an orderly fashion and I urge you to take advantage of your impromptu free period. Those of you with Auto Shop next class, Mr Crusher has asked me to remind you to bring your crowbars and as for those of you who will be coming back for Thaumaturgical theory please review page 176 of your spell books as we will be continuing the chapter on Totemic Spirits, specifically the Spider Totem. Thank you and good day.�
Mickle5125
Is it bad that I really want to read more about what happened in Absinthe's class with the Drug Toxic Spirit?
Nightwalker450
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 1 2008, 03:17 PM) *
Is it bad that I really want to read more about what happened in Absinthe's class with the Drug Toxic Spirit?

No, because I'm waiting for more as well...

Comon Ryusukanku, tell us more. biggrin.gif
CanRay
I'm working on the Drug Spirit portion right now in my head. It's a Sub-Set of City Spirits, in particular Hearth Spirits that dwelled in Crack Dens, Meth Labs, and such. I know 4th Edition doesn't deal with Spirits in quite such a manner, but, in my game, they will. (So far, noone has stated an interest in making a magician, so that'll be pretty easy on me.).

But that's for a different thread.
SprainOgre
OK, that's awesome. Please sir, can I have some more?
Mickle5125
congrats Ryusukanku, you have a following for your writings. Now, satisfy the masses and throw more story to us before we start rioting. ^_^
CanRay
*Throws on some heavy clothing that can take a beating and prepares for the Riot*
DocTaotsu
Alright CanRay you outlaw journalist you smile.gif

I bet you went to a school that checked you for guns everyday... to make sure you had them.
CanRay
Had to build my own. Couldn't let the teachers have an unfair advantage on me.

OK, another class at Shadow School, Improvised Weaponry!
HentaiZonga
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 30 2008, 11:11 AM) *
"OK Kids, we're here. This... Is the Crime Mall. It is a den of scum and villainy filled with drug dealers, pimps, prostitutes, con artists, swindlers, mafioso, and thieves. ... Yes? Mikey?"

"Mr. Cooper, We could have gone to my Tenement building for those!"

*Everyone on bus laughs*

"Yes, but now we get to see them at work! OK, buddy system as usual. Everyone have their switchblades? Good. Jimmy, yes, you can use your Machete, you're a big enough Troll. All right then, remember, anything you get away with shoplifting is worth extra marks in Mrs. Didds urban survival class, but, if you're caught... We don't know your hoop from Adam."

How delightfully Spartan.
CanRay
QUOTE (HentaiZonga @ May 1 2008, 09:51 PM) *
How delightfully Spartan.

I'm currently working on "Debt of Non-Blood" *Points at Sig*, so don't have much mental ambidextry for other items at this time.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to continue reading 2XS in order to make sure I do the Cameo correctly!
Ryusukanku
I'll have more shortly.
Just gotta write it up.
Ryusukanku

The Shadow school’s most magically inclined Faculty members hovered around the long table at the front of Doctor Absinthe’s class. The way they nudged one another around trying to get a better look at the Toxic Spirit fragment in the Exobotanical Containment Device they looked more like a batch of students than teachers. Of course he couldn’t blame them. Before them was an unknown form of spirit type. A Drug Spirit.
“Hoy! That is perhaps the ugliest thing from the spirit world I have ever seen.� And she meant it. Miss LeJeune, a houngan of no small talent, had seen many strange things in her 20 years of public practice before settling at this Shadowschool teaching Tarot reading and other card tricks for fun and profit.

Grim Perry, the self-confessed “Black Magician� who taught the advanced offensive magic course, held his red crystal pendulum over it and watched it swing dangerously back and forth.
“You have a point. This creature although small and comparatively weak, has an insidious aura about it. You say people were willingly injecting themselves with it?�

“Indeed they were, Perry. My Student Tommy says it’s the latest combat drug on the street. People who are on it are fearless, painless yet very focused and no sense of self preservation.�

“What did I say? Insidious.�

“So says the dark Magos. I suppose it takes evil to recognize evil.�

Perry glared at the Dwarven Runemaster, Meinrad who was currently carving extra wards into the tabletop to reinforce Absinthe’s. But the bearded human kept his tongue quiet on that point, the dwarf might not look like much but he was the Shadowschool’s resident demolitions expert with over 50 years of experience... both legal and illegal. Choosing not to anger the guy who could make explosives out of household detergents Perry turned to look at the Chaos Mage, Red. He was an elf with a copper colored crew cut and looked more like an accountant than magic user... in fact he WAS an accountant, teaching the Book-Cooking Class, but by the way he was moving his hands in the air it was obvious he was accessing his digitally stored mystic library with that chip in his head. Most magic users avoided such things as they interfered with their abilities but they couldn’t help but admire Red at times such as this where speed was needed.

“I’ve skimmed through my collected spirits works and I’m having trouble figuring out where a... a drug spirit could have come from. It’s most likely started out as something else and been corrupted but... I hate to say it but we need to find someone who can do testing on our little friend here to give us more information... if for nothing else than to recognize them in the future.�

In the orange flickering lights of the Vacuum Tube ward circle all eyes turned to Doc Absinthe and he blinked back.

“Why is everyone looking at me?�

“Doc, Were you even paying attention to what we were saying.?�

“Well... not as such no, Miss LeJeune. I’m embarrassed to say I was wondering how I could convince the staff to allow me to take Oozy here to some of my colleagues for scientific investigation.�

“What a WONDERFUL idea.� Perry roared slapping the older man on his back. “You and your genius buddies can poke, prod, dissect and banish as much as you want with this... thing. Just don’t do it here... and write us up a paper or something on it we can read later. We above all else need to keep abreast of such things.�

“Yes. It’s a shame the Shadowschool doesn’t technically exist. I’m sure such a discovery is definitely a coup for any institution.�

“True Doc. But for Loki’s sake be careful! This thing is treacherous. It obviously knows what it’s doing if it’s bottling itself and using drug dealers.�

“Oh believe me Meinrad, the Think Tank always stresses safety first about such things... save that time with the Golem attempt... but we cleaned that up in a hurry. Didn’t we? Oh yes.. And there was that time with the carnivorous cacti however that was cleaned up as well.�

“Yeah... uh.. Tell you what Doc. We’ll triple ward this room, post some armed guards and put a lock on it until the end of the day. Then when everyone else is gone you call your friends in. Ok?.�

“Sound thinking. Perry. Just make certain they’re guards we can put some trust in. Even with the wards this creature should be considered a highly toxic and may prove tempting for someone wanting to turn a quick Newyen.�

Sound thinking indeed.� acknowledged Red as his hands twitched and made small motions. “I estimate that the value of any scientific data mined from Doc Absinthe’s “Oozy� here could very well net over... MMPH!�

Suddenly Perry clapped his hand over the Elf’s mouth. His cold dark purple eyes staring at him from over his hooked nose.

“No. No temptations Red. Even *I* can see how dangerous this thing is. -WE- are clever and -WE- are experienced in our respective fields... but -WE- are not scientists, nor are we professional researchers. The moment you tell us how much information on that black ball of street junk is worth, we’re going to START thinking about the money and STOP thinking about anything else. That’s when it will blow up in our faces.�

“You sound like you’ve had your share of such experiences, Perry.�

“I have, Meinrad. I’ve seen seven Shadowrun teams I’ve been with torn apart when we began to let our greed overpower our senses. Those of us that survived... did so by growing more cautious. It’s in part why I’m here instead of in the field. “

“And the other part?�

His eyes swivelled to Miss Lejeune before he let Red’s mouth go and stalked to the doorway.

“I have my reasons.� he said quietly before glancing back. “Suffice it to say... I did something very bad once and I’m going to make others learn from my mistakes.�

They watched him leave, staring at the vacant doorway for a moment before Lejeune spoke.

“That man... he needs to get laid so bad. Yes?�

Mickle5125
*sighs* Well, guys, I suppose we have to postpone the riot... *large crowd grumbles* but don't worry! we'll have cause to riot again later if the story doesn't keep getting updated! *large crowd cheers*

Nicely done, Ryusukanku. Any plans for more?
KCKitsune
I know everybody is going to glare at me for this: Ryusukanku, why don't you post this on Fanfiction.net and then give us a link. That way we can RE-read the story of Shadow School without wading though all the non story posts.
darthmord
Moar story now!

Hehe, good writing Ryusukanku. This is a lot like reading Friend's AAR thread.

As for the OP... I liked the idea of the Shadow School. Perhaps as a final exam to graduate... have them stage a successful shadowrun or repulse a shadowrun in-progress / against them.

Maybe even a Students vs Faculty / Parents?

The run ideas... Hmm...
CanRay
Except for the Hacking Class.

"Everyone here now has an F. In order to get a passing grade, you have to change that. Good day."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012