Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow Schools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
CanRay
QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Jul 11 2011, 11:54 AM) *
I forget if this has already been covered but do the Shadow Skools have "farm teams" so to speak? Do they ever get "transfer students", kids who stood out in some fashion that might pop up on a Shadowrunner's radar, you know, if they give a shit about kids. Corp schools where if you get kicked out for something that just screams to a Shadowrunner that they got skills and potential, orphans/street urchins that also show potential, or if you end up in Corp juvenile detention for something that also highlights that they have potential, or maybe the kid just goes on amazing crime spree and a Shadowrunner catches them before the autorities do and offers them a second chance that is better option than what the corps cruel security and social services will offer.
As Neo-@s, I doubt they have farm teams. But the rest certainly sounds plausible. Kid's would have to run away from home first, however. Can't let Mom and Pop Suit find out about what's really going on after all.

In fewer words, is there a Shadow Skool Full Scholarship? biggrin.gif
Nope, you gotta pay your own way. Luckily, most of the classes allow for that. ("I steal another five Ford Americars, and I get the next semester paid for!").

Oh, and another idea, wouldn't a Shadow Skool have safe houses that could house children (shadowrunner workshop/facility attached) like they were going out of style? smile.gif
Not likely, most of the ShadowBrats are part of the SINless hordes anyhow. They might be low-level contacts for Shaodwrunners who keep them at a safehouse, however, and get them working on items for them as "Extra Credit".

And what would you disguise a Shadow Skool as, in terms of a front? Sweat shop perhaps?
It's the Barrens. They pose as a dilapidated building being used as a gang hideout. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
When I get bored, I bring this thread back to the forefront.
CanRay
Again, I am bored. No one have anything new to add to this?
ggodo
I love the concept, I'e been using the Skool in my games. Our doctor volunteers there in exchange for some classes. He's probably the most defined character, and the staff keeps suggesting our Japanophile Street Sam get over his hydrophobia (Incompetant Swimming, Spirit Bane Water). I love these guys.
CanRay
Good to know, thanks! biggrin.gif
Seriously Mike
I guess that one of those would fit right in in the Hahn Free Market in LA. Most probably with an African-American ork as one of the teachers. Somehow, to me there's no-one more fitting the "disenfranchised" archetype than a hard-working African-American ork.
CanRay
Immigrant Nartaki Cab Driver who also does Tech Support at the same time?

OK, before people jump on me, this was a character concept being thrown around when I got Runner's Companion for a PC that had "Day Job".
Chance359
Taken from Blackjack's Wannabe U. Perhaps this could be the course list:

School Of Melee

MEL101 Basic Melee Training
Using your fists, why it's always nice to have a knife, why it's nicer to have an sword.

MEL150 Intermediate Melee Training
Why it's even nicer to have an axe.

MEL210 Advanced Unarmed Combat
Going for the face.

MEL211 Advanced Blunt Weapons
Going for the head.

MEL212 Advanced Bladed Weapons
Going for anything.

MEL300 Monowhips
Going for your own face.

School Of Projectile Weapons

DISSOLVED (due to lack of popularity)

School Of Firearms

FIR101 Basic Firearms Training
How to load a clip, which way to point the barrel, how to fire a Warhawk without cracking your forehead in half when the gun flies up due to recoil.

FIR150 Intermediate Firearms Training
The concept of automatic weapons, learning to fire off massive amounts of ammo without necessarily hitting anything.

FIR210 Advanced Pistols
How firing two of them simultaneously makes it difficult to rotate your wrists in the morning.

FIR211 Advanced Rifles
How to get them through security by using the "Goin' huntin'" excuse.

FIR212 Advanced SMGs
How, despite what the movies show, your clip tends to last less time than it took to load it.

FIR213 Advanced Assault Rifles
How leaning on your AK with the barrel in the dirt is a good way to lose a hand.

FIR310 Sniping Weapons
How to lose friends and honor by shooting people in the back from nearly a kilometer away.

FIR315 Grenade Launchers
The best way to cause enormous collateral damage AND call the cops at the same time.

FIR320 Light Machine Guns
An introduction to excessive firepower.

School Of Gunnery

GUN101 Basic Gunnery
Where the engine of a vehicle is located, why you should shoot this engine, why you should not shoot this engine with a gunnery weapon while the cops are around.

GUN150 Intermediate Gunnery
Introduction to the concepts of "hosing" and "body count".

GUN210 Advanced Machine Guns
Finding some place to hide them, finding out that they are large and that it is difficult to find a place to hide them.

GUN211 Advanced Assault Cannons
Saying it with sabots.

GUN212 Advanced Missile Weapons
The concept of "fragmentation", why AVMs are called AVMs, why these AVMs do not hit people, why these AVMs usually hit the warmest target behind the people, why this target is not necessarily something you want to hit.

GUN310 Vehicle Weapons
Why you can't just carry them around, hitting moving targets from 15km away.

School Of Explosives

EXP101 Basic Explosives
How to not blow yourself up.

EXP150 Intermediate Explosives
How to blow up everything but yourself.

EXP210 Advanced Grenades
The concept of "scatter" and why this is bad. The concept of "chunky salsa" and why this is good.

EXP211 Advanced Plastique
Molding your explosives into hilarious bunny shapes.

EXP300 Large Scale Demolitions
Finding the basement.

School Of Athletics

ATH101 Basic Athletics
How to fall properly.

ATH150 Intermediate Athletics
How to fall and still be able to fire your gun.

ATH200 Advanced Athletics
How to not fall at all.

School Of Stealth

STE101 Basic Stealth
Why dry leaves are bad.

STE150 Intermediate Stealth
The best way to silently scale a building while hauling fifty kilograms of weaponry.

STE200 Advanced Stealth
Why it's best to leave the fifty kilograms of weaponry at home.

School Of Medicine

MED101 Basic Biotech
Introduction to the Stim-Patch.

MED150 Intermediate Biotech
Introduction to the Trauma-Patch

MED200 Advanced Biotech
Why neither a Stim or Trauma-Patch works on an Assault Cannon victim.

School Of Computers

COM101 Basic Computers
Where the switch is.

COM150 Intermediate Computers
How there is always somebody with a better deck than you.

COM210 Advanced Programming
Searching through 50,000 lines of Attack Program code for the one glitch that allowed that Blaster to stomp your face in last weekend.

COM211 Advanced Decking
Why red nodes are a bitch.

COM310 System Infiltration
Disguising yourself as a piece of fan mail to Renreku's CEO.

COM315 Combat Decking
Kicking butt in the matrix in less than a nanosecond.

School Of Electronics

ELE101 Basic Electronics
Why getting shocked is bad.

ELE150 Intermediate Electronics
How the one door your really, really need to get through will always have a lock that none of your three hundred tools will work on.

ELE210 Advanced Surveillance
Why pictures of a top corporate official having intercourse with a hooker and various other forms of life are worth a thousand nuyen.

ELE211 Advanced Jamming
Police bands, corporate sat links, and your enemy's favorite radio station.

School Of Magic

MAG101 Basic Magic
Exciting new ways to lose consciousness.

MAG150 Intermediate Magic
Why getting your spells locks blown isn't fun.

MAG210 Advanced Sorcery
Burning, blasting, and transforming your way to a large ego.

MAG211 Advanced Conjuring
Why conjured spirits are not necessarily your "pals".

MAG310 Astral Space
And you thought there was scary stuff on this plane of existence...

MAG315 Initiation
Wonderful ways to make people really, really, really, afraid of you.

School Of Vehicular Science

VEH101 Basic Vehicles
Why a red light does not necessarily mean you have to stop.

VEH150 Intermediate Vehicles
Why a barricade does not necessarily mean you have to stop.

VEH210 Advanced Ground Vehicles
Avoiding speeding tickets, avoiding highways, avoiding traffic jams, avoiding the laws of physics.

VEH211 Advanced Aircraft
Seattle to San Fran in less time than it takes to spit on the floor of your favorite bar.

VEH212 Advanced Marine Vehicles
Introduction to the existence of large, scary, ocean going creatures who have tentacles as long as five of your boats put together.

VEH300 Rigging
How to jump an opening draw bridge, land vertically, roll eighteen times, tumble into the water, float down the river, wash up on the bank, get out, and remark: "Damn, scratched the paint."
CanRay
School of Hard Thinking

PHI101 Philosophy for Shadowrunners
The works of Brumby, Troll Philosopher.
Chance359
Wouldn't Brumby be a guest speaker?
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 16 2011, 04:20 PM) *
Immigrant Nartaki Cab Driver who also does Tech Support at the same time?

OK, before people jump on me, this was a character concept being thrown around when I got Runner's Companion for a PC that had "Day Job".
I'd say he's rather the type you can encounter in a corporate coffin hotel.
CanRay
QUOTE (Chance359 @ Sep 16 2011, 10:02 PM) *
Wouldn't Brumby be a guest speaker?
Don't know if he survived Crash 2.0. Also, he'd be, what, 40 now? 45?

Someone check to see if the e-mail on that wayback machine site still works!!!
ggodo
Necroposting out of curiousity. Who is/was Brumby?

ShadowDragon8685
I have no idea, but that list was fragging hilarious. smile.gif
Chance359
Brumby is a Troll Street Sam Philosopher created by Blackjack.

Brumby's first post
CanRay
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jun 18 2013, 09:56 PM) *
Necroposting out of curiousity. Who is/was Brumby?
You can read his Philosophy here.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 19 2013, 12:08 AM) *

Poor Brumby. He gets shot up a lot. DocWagon must love him, though.
Bigity
Their accountants do anyway. Maybe not the response teams.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jun 19 2013, 12:32 AM) *
Their accountants do anyway. Maybe not the response teams.

Heheh.

You know, I've gotta figure that given the ridiculous cost of life-saving emergency trauma care compared to even a generous GM's payout for a 'run, that DocWagon, CrashCart, et al, probably just work out deals where if you can't pay, they patch you up and you owe them a run on the cheap.
CanRay
DocWagon does recruit from young Shadowrunners...
bannockburn
*sigh* Good old times.
Reading this one link made me remember what I forgot.
I think, BlackJack's page should be required reading for just about any SR player and GM smile.gif

So here's a real shadow school: http://web.archive.org/web/20070406102635/....dumpshock.com/

Now excuse me, while I'm back laughing about radio phree philly biggrin.gif
CanRay
Came up in a conversation, thought I'd see if anyone else added onto this in their minds or not.
Angelone
His Rigger philosophy still brings shivers to my spine. Asphalt and Pedal on the right.
Chance359
And see now I want to play a rigger.
shonen_mask
It's a good thing you guys can't get a licence to teach in the UCAS.. rotfl.gif
Sendaz
And THIS should be part of the History curriculum.

Wonder if we can get Opti to do a bit on this? nyahnyah.gif

Events related to
•1998: In response to the US firearms ban, residents of West Virginia, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, and South Carolina use shotguns to annihilate every road sign in their respective states.

•1999: In Frukston, Kentucky the Society For The Preservation Of Magical Critters is established. They disband a short time later, after realizing that the Awakening is not scheduled to occur for another 15 years.

•2001: Fans of the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey riot outside of NASA’s headquarters, demanding that they step up their interplanetary exploration efforts before they “ruin the next book, too.”

•2002: The predecessor to the Ares corporation opens in Dugton, Arkansas. The company moves a short while later because, as the CEO put it, “There ain’t a goddamned thing to do in Arkansas.”

•2004: A government study shows that 90% of the firearms owned by Americans are located on a rack in a pickup truck belonging to Bud Fredmore of Slippery Creek, West Virginia.

•2006: A nuclear plant in western Georgia experiences a massive meltdown. The local residents’ genes are so badly mutated that, for the next fifty years, their children are born perfectly normal.

•2010: The residents of Bumbuckle, Kentucky riot for no apparent reason. “We were just really bored,” stated a resident of the town.

•2012: In West Pedunk, Tennessee; Bob Nugget, aged 13 years, punches his mother in the face after she refuses to let him continue tying up the phone line with his computer programming and hacking activities. A friend in the room remarks, “Bobby! You deck’d her!”. Thus a major Archetype was born.

•2015: In Kentucky the towns of Kruddlemunk, Plud, and Fernwhup are merged to form the village of Greater Sprunt.

•2017: Earl Rudman, a farmer in rural Georgia, unearths the Lost Temple Of Ultimate Wisdom, which he summarily bulldozes for the purpose of building a barn.

•2018: The first portable laser weapon is developed by Eugland Frunk of South Carolina for his Junior High School science project. It is immediately confiscated by his mother and thrown in the garbage, thus setting laser technology back several decades.

•2020: Elves around the world protest in earnest, demanding the right to have normal ears.

•2023: Bubba Snudson, a manure salesman vacationing on lake Winsnookle, is swallowed whole by a freshwater serpent. The creature immediately spits the man out, hacks, and dives back into the depths, never to be seen again.

•2025: The towns of Lenny, Slub, and Crools merge to form the village of Cowopolis.

•2026: The first Livestock War: Gus Musson, after accidentally running over Pudge Simpson’s prize lamb, is attacked on his farm by a group of paranormal sheep. After a long and bloody battle the sheep are driven off by a courageous band of awakened chickens.

•2028: The first purely cybernetically controlled farm tractor is developed.

•2030: Country singer Bobby Ray Emerson is shocked to death with cattle prods as an angry audience storms the stage after they discover that he drives a Westwind 2000, not a Dodge Ram.

•2031: The second Livestock War: After regrouping and retraining, Pudge Simpson’s paranormal sheep launch an all out assault against Gus Musson and his awakened chickens. The sheep, now led by an high level free Cow Spirit, overrun the farm and secure nearly 300 acres of prized grazing land.

•2032: The third Livestock War: Gus Musson and his awakened chickens, after receiving reinforcements in the form of cybered billy goats, mass around their captured farm. After ravaging their foes with long ranged artillery fire the force moves in, capturing the farm and their enemies in a battle that lasted less than a minute. Pudge Simpson is arrested and sentenced to 50 years in prison. The sheep are made into sweaters and sandwiches. The free cow spirit is forced into servitude after Gus learns its true name: Bessy. And with that the Livestock Wars came to an end.

•2035: News coverage of the Insurance Wars cuts in during an episode of Hee Haw, causing major riots in Dwebmung, Sput, and Fweeb Town.

•2038: The government launches a major slash and burn campaign against the rural Georgia marijuana industry. Residents appear on camera, their fields smoldering behind them, and report that “this was some wild shit that happened down.....uh, what was the question?”

•2041: Buddy Upned of Clump, Mississippi is killed when a cow methane build up ignites and incinerates his farm.

•2043: More than 100 UFO sightings in one night are reported in Grendlub, Kentucky. This is 10% increase over the normal rate of reports.

•2046: The Mafia and Yakuza battle ferociously for control of Twig, Arkansas. God only knows why.

•2050: Thousands of identical Street Samurai archetypes suddenly appear out of nowhere, all wielding Ingrams, possessing Wired Reflexes 3, and sporting scaryish names like “Killer”.

•2055: South Carolina alone orders 75,000,000 Remington 990 shotguns.

•2057: Bobby Bub Lubble of Kurdump, South Carolina finally replaces his 8-Track player with something more high tech, at last killing off the most disgraceful audio format in world history.

I saw this so many years ago, found it as I was looking through the Blackjack stuff mentioned above.
Angelone
QUOTE (shonen_mask @ Aug 28 2013, 04:47 AM) *
It's a good thing you guys can't get a licence to teach in the UCAS.. rotfl.gif

A fake license isn't that expensive.

•2006: A nuclear plant in western Georgia experiences a massive meltdown. The local residents’ genes are so badly mutated that, for the next fifty years, their children are born perfectly normal.

That ladies and gentlemen is what's called a zing.
Sendaz
That was my favourite line as well, one I have always remembered about that timeline.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012