Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadow Schools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PiXeL01
To translate: "Sorry, but you are in the way"

"Jama" is an obstable, hindrance, nuisance, bother and so forth. "da" is informal for "desu".

"A" "ri" "ga" "to" "u" "Go" "za" "i" "ma" "su" is 10 rounds. The "u" is the long pronunciation of "to"

Also I am a gaijin too, I just live in the country, so my Japanese is far from perfect to the point of being not so good at all.
Raven the Trickster
Ahh, I was reading Ja Ma Da as Ja, Mada or see you later. Your translation makes much more sense. I also always forget that extra u in arigato. Too long since I took Japanese.
CanRay
And that's why JSL is an important course at the ShadowSkool.
ggodo
Skool supplies

I'm working the Shadow Skool into a campaign, and the introductory run for the school is an anonymous benefactor sending the team on a run to retrieve some supplies for the Skool. Any suggestions?
Raven the Trickster
Light pistols and lots of ammo.
Mid range commlinks
A couple of Average level Nexi to hack against.
AR Gloves and glasses
Child-Teenager sized armored clothing (Gym Clothes)
Mag Lock Systems of various types
Normal Locks of various types
ggodo
Awesome, I thought of commlinks, How big are nexi physically? They will need to move the loot to deliver it.
Raven the Trickster
QUOTE (Unwired pg. 196)
Most nexi are the size of a desktop computer
tower or larger—too large to carry comfortably in place of
a commlink, but possible to pull on a cart, load onto a drone, or
carry in a vehicle.

CanRay
Books on chip. Programs on chip. Everything on chip, really. Much easier to strip of their corporate/government brainwashing if it's on a media, and then burn out a clean version for the students to learn from, although it might be easier for the teachers to write their own material. (Not having to use a Teacher's Edition might be an incentive for some SINner Teachers to show up.).

Hand power tools. Raw materials for buildings (They have to maintain that old wreck of a building after all, and maybe even get it back up to, and better than, code.). Food (And not Food-Like-Substances, either! Nutra-Soy and better!). Clean water. Soymilk. Soykaf for the teachers and older students. Student-Level Vaccines and Med-Kit Replacement Materials (Remember, they have a nurse.).

Old drones. Old firearms. Old everything, gotta know where you've been before you know where you're going.

Oh, and lockers. Sure, only one student uses his (And, really, would you mess with him?), but they still should have them.
ggodo
QUOTE (Unwired pg. 196)
Most nexi are the size of a desktop computer
tower or larger—too large to carry comfortably in place of
a commlink, but possible to pull on a cart, load onto a drone, or
carry in a vehicle.

Thanks, Raven
I should really read Unwired, but I'm afraid of the new Matrix rules in there. It's enough of a mess as is.

Medkits would be good, but they seem a little on the cheap side, though, a whole crateful. . . How big are medkits? How many do you think I could fit in a cubic meter crate?
CanRay
QUOTE (ggodo @ Mar 9 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Medkits would be good, but they seem a little on the cheap side, though, a whole crateful. . . How big are medkits? How many do you think I could fit in a cubic meter crate?

Depends on the rating.

I see Rating 1 Medkits being the small "First Aid Kits" you get for back packing and house use. Something that can easily fit in a backpack side pocket. (I have an army surplus one that I lucked out on getting for my home. It's better equipped than the ones you can find in camping stores, while being only slightly larger. And nothing in there requires anything but basic first aid knowledge.).

Rating 6 would be the size of a courier satchel. Or those large box kits you see on the walls of sports complexes.
ggodo
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Depends on the rating.

I see Rating 1 Medkits being the small "First Aid Kits" you get for back packing and house use. Something that can easily fit in a backpack side pocket. (I have an army surplus one that I lucked out on getting for my home. It's better equipped than the ones you can find in camping stores, while being only slightly larger. And nothing in there requires anything but basic first aid knowledge.).

Rating 6 would be the size of a courier satchel. Or those large box kits you see on the walls of sports complexes.

Then I ought to be able to fit a few 6s in a crate. The outline of the run is they are hired to steal three crates and deliver them to an address in Puyallup. The PCs should only be able to figure out what's up if they put in enough research/legwork, and even then will likely focus more on the targets than the destination. The look on their faces when they find out the last crate is full of pizzas will be priceless.
CanRay
The 'Run that I assembled my first PSs together involved a bunch of stupid little jobs for little money, a test of how well they work as a team and how well they could follow orders.

The last part of that 'Run was to bring Mr. Johnson a Meatball Sandwich from a Italian Deli. That had absolutely no Mafia connection at all.

Then they had to steal of Jiffy Pop.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (ggodo @ Mar 9 2011, 01:29 PM) *
Skool supplies

I'm working the Shadow Skool into a campaign, and the introductory run for the school is an anonymous benefactor sending the team on a run to retrieve some supplies for the Skool. Any suggestions?

I copied ShadowSkool into my campaign as well. The party was hired to deliver a drug spirit to a shaman across town who was interested in it. The hacker Blackout'd a kid who tried to hack him and got called back as a guest lecturer.
CanRay
Glad to see folks are using it. smile.gif
CanRay
Any folks used it? And if so, tell the whole class about it.

Show your work.
ggodo
I'm trying to work out a scenario for my runners in the new campaign, maybe something to do with the Drug Spirits. Trying to find an angle on it to get them there. Maybe once my players turn in their sheets they'll have a contact or two I could link in. Failing that my old fallback fixer will send them in somehow, but it won't be as cool. Heck, first run, get samples of new street drug for neurotic Mr. Johnson. Run somehow goes haywire/mage assenses it and "Shit, what is is this drek?" hopefully confrontation/explanation with the Johnson (Dr. Absinthe). Second run, hit the supplier in the area, a big ol' toxic shaman with some black tar heroin spirits. Big old kaboom, no more shaman, no more spirit, the world is slightly safer and the good doctor offers them a few free courses at the skool for their time. Plus, street cred everywhere! Added bonus, my mage hater gets to kill a mage!
ravensoracle
I ran a one shot run to take up space when the whole group couldn't make it to the game. The ones there had to find a better location for the Skool and move it so they could use the building as a base of operations for breaking into the city utility maintenance tunnels that ran for a couple of blocks. From there they could break into a merc group's basement storeroom. The merc group had hid their offline data nexus and a small cache of weapons there for any Seattle operations.
ggodo
That's pretty cool, my runners dropped off the skool supplies in the last campaign and the mage nearly fried Mrs. Black to keep her from the kids, but thought better of it after he realized he was nearly dead, and the kids seemed ok. He'd Hand of Godded earlier in the run to avoid a short burst through The Van's windshield.
Mickle5125
a branch of the Shadow School showed up in LA in my game. One of my runners decided to start a charity for "Underprivileged Schools," and managed to roll ridiculously well on the social tests to convince high society that it would be a good idea. They ended up raising about half a mil for the school.
Critias
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 19 2011, 09:23 PM) *
a branch of the Shadow School showed up in LA in my game. One of my runners decided to start a charity for "Underprivileged Schools," and managed to roll ridiculously well on the social tests to convince high society that it would be a good idea. They ended up raising about half a mil for the school.

You can get rich people to throw money away hand over first, if you (1) get them drunk, (2) make it trendy, (3) have their peers watching.
Mickle5125
it helped that he had local fame to smooth the way
ggodo
Ok, Guys, I'm looking to stat up Asphalt for an adventure. Anyone want to help put stats to these symptoms? I'm in a bit of a hurry, but I'll be back later.
CanRay
Asphalt is a Possession-Type Toxic Spirit of Man, summoned up from Crack and BTL Houses. Unlike most spirits, it only physically manifests as a black, sticky goo that you can put into syringes (Or, if you have the production capabilities, Autoinjectors.), with the number of doses provided being twice the Force of the Spirit.

And that's about as far as I got before the "Oh, shiny!" kicked in.
ggodo
I'd have it give high pain tolerance or even ignore penalties.
longbowrocks
Dang. Spoilers. Oh well, I'll keep my brain shut about it.
CanRay
QUOTE (ggodo @ May 28 2011, 01:34 AM) *
I'd have it give high pain tolerance or even ignore penalties.

And the capability of the Spirit Auto-Healing the body. Addiction rate of 100% to the Toxic Spirit as well, BTW. One dose, and you're hooked. And the withdrawls never, ever go away.

And there ain't no Methadone or equivalent for this stuff. It stains you right to your soul.

When the dose runs it's course (2 Times Force in 10 Minutes), it also takes a bit of essence with it, as it returns to the point of origin, ready to go back into another package for the next sucker to shoot up.
ggodo
I need to read the story again, but it didn't seem like the grunts were auto healing, just not feeling their arms fall off.
KCKitsune
To me, it felt like the two grunts didn't even knew they had arms. It would be like someone cutting off your hair. You wouldn't notice it unless you looked in the mirror.

I would reflect this in the rules by having these spirits not suffering any wound modifiers unless those wounds are caused by magic. They fight with full dice pool until dead.
CanRay
OK, High Pain Tolerance 3 (Or just plain "No Wound Penalties"), immunity to Stun Damage, Toughness, and Will To Live 3 (With addition that they don't go unconscious.).
KCKitsune
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 28 2011, 01:40 PM) *
OK, High Pain Tolerance 3 (Or just plain "No Wound Penalties"), immunity to Stun Damage, Toughness, and Will To Live 3 (With addition that they don't go unconscious.).

They seemed to have a normal tolerance for pain when they got hit by that weapon foci... they screamed pretty well grinbig.gif
ggodo
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ May 28 2011, 01:05 PM) *
They seemed to have a normal tolerance for pain when they got hit by that weapon foci... they screamed pretty well grinbig.gif

Oh yeah, I was playing it as a Force 2 weapon focus.
ggodo
Well, the party's next goal is to try to shut down the Toxic Shaman that's bringing the Asphalt out to play, hopefully taking him alive to get the bounty. They'll need it to repair the Skool. Our Bear shaman thinks he can walk through walls.
CanRay
He thinks he can walk through walls, or is that his name, "Walks-Through-Walls"?
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 30 2011, 12:50 AM) *
He thinks he can walk through walls, or is that his name, "Walks-Through-Walls"?

Maybe he's like a cat and no one told him it was impossible yet.
ggodo
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 29 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Well, he actually has gone through a few, but the fun part is going to be when he runs into something that isn't plaster.
CanRay
And, because I'm bored...
ggodo
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 8 2011, 03:48 PM) *
And, because I'm bored...

I love this thread
So much, My players have been using the Shadow Skool as contacts quite well, they take classes there between runs, and throw some loot their way every once and a while. The auto shop recently got a Panther.
Rubic
I didn't see this idea posted yet, so I thought I'd try throwing it out.

One of my characters once programmed an agent to be a digital diva for his club, naming her iCandy. She had a few different configurations, but all female, and was supposed to have appropriate software installed as part of her code to act as a DJ and personality for the club.

Could you, possibly, design an Agent with tutorsofts installed as part of their core loadout? Doing this, you could potentially use a handful of softs and one digital teacher for several students. You could also include access to appropriate knowsofts.
CanRay
The Cannon, the Car, or the Animal?

I've heard of getting a "Tiger in your Tank", but jeeze...
Gerzel
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 8 2011, 10:49 PM) *

I've heard of getting a "Tiger in your Tank", but jeeze...

All three! Thundercats HOOOO!
ggodo
Cannon, the Sammy took a side job intimidating some thugs that got a few calibers too heavy for his taste. He got the troll that shot him, though.
Xahn Borealis
That's all that counts.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 9 2011, 03:49 AM) *

I love that this is an actual question. This is why I love Shadowrun.
CanRay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 8 2011, 09:49 PM) *
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 10 2011, 08:58 PM) *
I love that this is an actual question. This is why I love Shadowrun.
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 10 2011, 07:11 PM) *
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week. Try the veal!

You and your Veal... You should really invest in another Meat Product... smile.gif
CanRay
I Can't Believe It's Not Veal™?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 10 2011, 09:08 PM) *

Heh... wobble.gif
CanadianWolverine
I forget if this has already been covered but do the Shadow Skools have "farm teams" so to speak? Do they ever get "transfer students", kids who stood out in some fashion that might pop up on a Shadowrunner's radar, you know, if they give a shit about kids. Corp schools where if you get kicked out for something that just screams to a Shadowrunner that they got skills and potential, orphans/street urchins that also show potential, or if you end up in Corp juvenile detention for something that also highlights that they have potential, or maybe the kid just goes on amazing crime spree and a Shadowrunner catches them before the autorities do and offers them a second chance that is better option than what the corps cruel security and social services will offer.

In fewer words, is there a Shadow Skool Full Scholarship? biggrin.gif

Oh, and another idea, wouldn't a Shadow Skool have safe houses that could house children (shadowrunner workshop/facility attached) like they were going out of style? smile.gif

And what would you disguise a Shadow Skool as, in terms of a front? Sweat shop perhaps?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 05:08 AM) *

"What you got there?"
"Aztechnology Generic Meat-Like Product 26. You?"
"Meat-Like 12. I'm treating myself."
"Flashy. What you got, Dave? Looks messy."
"This? This is Jerry. Ghoul's gotta eat."
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jul 11 2011, 11:02 AM) *
"What you got there?"
"Aztechnology Generic Meat-Like Product 26. You?"
"Meat-Like 12. I'm treating myself."
"Flashy. What you got, Dave? Looks messy."
"This? This is Jerry. Ghoul's gotta eat."

Heh... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012