Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sports teams...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
CanRay
Which are your favourites?

For Urban Brawl, you can't beat the Ares Predators!

For Combat Biker, it's a rough choice, but I'd have to say the Saeder-Krupp Steel Dragons.

For Desert Wars, it depends on the conflict, but I go with the UCAS Army Winnipeg "Black Devils" light infantry.

What teams does your characters follow?
Prime Mover
NORTH AMERICAN URBAN BRAWL FRANCHISES
(As of 2052)
Ares Predators (Ares Macrotechnology)
Atlanta Butchers (CAS)
Boston Massacre (UCAS)
Chicago Sensations (Truman Technologies)
Chicago Shatters (UCAS)
Cincinnati Lasers (UCAS)
Denver Thunderheads (UCAS)
Detroit Nightmares (UCAS)
Havana Guerrillas (CL)
Lakota Arrows (Sioux Council)
Los Angeles Bolts (CFS)
Miami Spears (CL)
Montreal Assassins (Quebec)
Mountain Dragons (Dunklezahn Enterprises)
New Orleans Tombstones (CAS)
New York Slashers (UCAS)
Norfolk Battlers (CAS)
Oakland Terminators (CFS)
Renraku Invindbles (Renraku)
Seattle Screamers (UCAS)
St. Louis Slaughter (UCAS)
Tacoma Wings (Federated Boeing)
Tenochtitlan Volcanoes (Aztlan)
Tsimshian Warriors (Tsimshian)
Prime Mover
WCCL Franchises

Eastern Conference

Atlanta Rebels
Baton Rouge Red Devils
Chicago Lightning
Cleveland Commandos
DeeCee Shurikens
New York Marauders

Western Conference

Los Angeles Sabers
New Orleans Buzzsaws
Houston Mustangs
Oakland Hogs
Seattle Timber Wolves
Texas Rattlers
Prime Mover
Was just looking at these few minutes ago, all the talk of old shadowbeat in the books you want to see topic got me looking. Teams listed above are from Shadowbeat.

Edit: Can't find corporate wars teams off the top of my head. One of the Corp downloads maybe?
CanRay
Always knew I heard of the "Ares Predators" somewhere!
ravensmuse
Go go Boston Massacre!

I just love my hometown team name smile.gif
CanRay
Just noticed not Canadian cities seem to have teams. frown.gif

Yes, I saw Montreal, that's Quebec now. devil.gif
Snow_Fox
That's ok, there's no Canada anymore either. wink.gif

since the Mets have disappeared, I'll have to go with the
Philadelphia Phillies (baseball)
" " Eagles (football)
" " 76'ers (Basketball)
New York Slashers (urbanbrawl) Seriously, who's better at a mugging than New Yorkers?
Houston Mustangs (combat bikers) Gotta love the mustang

Do we know of any European or Japanese teams?
CanRay
Still parts of Ontario and Manitoba. nyahnyah.gif

Toronto at least would have some kind of team. Probably Combat Biker at the very least.
Snow_Fox
I'd never noticed that Toronto was missing from the lists of published sports teams. You'd think baseball at least, but there were never any offical lists of hockey teams.
CanRay
Toronto Blue Jays are probably still around, they're baseball.

Hell, I'm sure that Sudbury would have an Urban Brawl team, probably in the Minors. "Sudbury Hard Rockers" or something.
Snow_Fox
Unfortunatley the Bluejays didn't survive on the official lists but The Expos did survive (Quebec)
added on to existing lists were the Richmond Generals. and FDC Senators, Portland Lords, San Diego Jaguars,
SF Whalers, Miami Sharks, Texas Lone Stars.

other lost teams are the DC Nationals, Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks, Cleveland Indians Chicago Cubs, Florida Rays, Texas Rangers and San Diego Padres.

The Rays might have become the Sharks, the Rangers became the Lone Stars and the Nationals the Senators but that's it.

The Cinninatti Reds became the Whites.

nezumi
As long as the New Orleans Saints are still losing the super bowl, I'll know there's some sanity to the world...
DreadPirateKitten
I imagine no Canadians were involved in the writing, and so Toronto was skipped.

It seems Quebec/Montreal is the defining city for most foreigners designing games, where Canada is concerned, maybe because Toronto is basically just another big US city, and Montreal is totally different from a standard US city.

I dunno. It was the same in Rifts, and World of Darkness, too.
Stahlseele
there's german Urban Brawl teams too, at least in some novels and they have much cooler names O.o
as for Combat Biking: L.A. Sabers and New Orleans Buzzsaws . .
Snow_Fox
you'd think Vancouver would have developed a team and Denver kept some.
CanRay
So, by 2070, there should be more teams!

Mainly because I'm hoping Sudbury got a Urban Brawl/Combat Biker team. nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 5 2008, 01:01 AM) *
For Desert Wars, it depends on the conflict, but I go with the UCAS Army Winnipeg "Black Devils" light infantry.

I've seen you mention this particular 'team' a number of times now. Is this your own creation, or is there an actual canon reference to this unit (or any other specific Desert Wars unit)?
CanRay
Not cannon to Shadowrun.

The "Black Devils" is the nickname for the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

"Hosti Acie Nominati" ("Named by their enemies") is their motto.

I figure that the Militaries of the world would just send in their own units for Desert Wars. Why should the Megacorporations get all the advertising Cred and Publicity?
Fortune
Not arguing about it. Merely curious. smile.gif
Snow_Fox
that might make sense, competing with corp armies for recruiting with better pay and resources the military might want to push out their own teams to recruit, the way the navy and airforce have flying display teams and the military academys in RL compete with college teams.

This would workparticularly well with well set units with an Esprit de Corps. The British have the top line with that with their regimental system. I guess the Canadians have that too. The French and americans are more limited. The forign Legion has romance , and some units lend themselves easly. For example the 101 Airmoble's team would of course be the "Screaming Eagles" and the UCAS martime light infantry would not need any name like the 'slashers' or 'lightning' Just call the what they are and stand back. "Who are we playing this week?"
"The Marines."
Cantankerous
Go Woooooolvvvessss!!!

The Super Sonics are my B-Ball idols (hey I'm 9'2" can press a small truck, run like a gazelle and I'm agile as a cat; think I might like B-Ball?) while for Brawl I've always liked the Terminators "smash head" style.

BB
CanRay
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ May 4 2008, 10:16 PM) *
This would work particularly well with well set units with an Esprit de Corps. The British have the top line with that with their regimental system. I guess the Canadians have that too.

For the most part, we do. Lots of guts and honour, but the support from the Government is... Less than stellar.

And I should point out that this is from a Civilian's point of view. I've never served, but fully support Canadian Soldiers and Peacekeepers.

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ May 4 2008, 10:16 PM) *
... For example the 101 Airmoble's team would of course be the "Screaming Eagles" and the UCAS martime light infantry would not need any name like the 'slashers' or 'lightning' Just call the what they are and stand back. "Who are we playing this week?"
"The Marines."

Some US (And, thus UCAS) Marine units have nicknames (2nd Battalion, 4th Marines are supposedly "The Magnificent Bastards") but mostly it's, yeah, "The UCAS Marines".

Unit nicknames go back a long way (The "Black Devils" I keep mentioning got their nickname in 1885, with the offhand comment: "The red coats we know, but who are those little black devils?"), and certainly make great "Team Names" when it comes time for marketing!
MaxHunter
Maybe it is cultural bias, but I do want to hear some names for corporate soccer teams.

Cheers

Max
Stahlseele
Urban Brawl/Stadtkrieg Teams

International
Anarchie Wien (Austria)
Ares Predators (Ares Macrotechnology)
Atlanta Butchers (CAS)
Blue Helmets Genevé (Swiss CSF)
Boston Massacre (UCAS)
Chicago Sensations (Truman Technologies)
Chicago Shatters (UCAS)
Cincinnati Lasers (UCAS)
Denver Thunderheads (UCAS)
Detroit Nightmares (UCAS)
Havana Guerrillas (CL)
Lakota Arrows (Sioux Council)
Los Angeles Bolts (CFS)
Madrid Matadores
Maschine Moskwa
Miami Spears (CL)
Montreal Assassins (Québec)
Mountain Dragons (Dunklezahn Enterprises)
New Orleans Tombstones (CAS)
New York Slashers (UCAS)
Norfolk Battlers (CAS)
Oakland Terminators (CFS)
Renraku Invincibles (Renraku Computer Systems)
Seattle Screamers (UCAS)
Seattle Slugs (UCAS) (Pre-Season Match against New York Slashers on March 15. 2052)
St. Louis Slaughter (UCAS)
Tacoma Wings (Federated Boeing)
Tenochtitlán Volcanoes (Aztlan)
Tsimshian Warriors (Tsimshian)
Warsaw Warmachines (Poland, Exilteam)
Zürich Account Zero (Swiss SEg)

Deutsche Teams(German Teams)
2060 München - (Munich, Oberliga - Amateurs?)
ADL Allstars ( best of the best made up from popular players of different teams of the league, played against prisoner Team Borkum Jaildogs on 10.12.2063)
AGC LabRats (AG Chemie)
Münchner/Munich Asphalt Cowboys (Renraku)
Bavarian Bayonets
Berlin Solids
Blood Royals (Frankfurt ?)
Borkumer Jaildogs (Prisoner-Team of mayor Jail Borkum - 10.12.2063 eradicated playing against the ADL-Allstars)
SK Centurios Essen (Saeder-Krupp)
Chromlegion Bremen
Cyberzombies Düsseldorf
Duisburg Toxic Spyryts
Frankfurt FireRaisers (Frankfurter Bankenverein)
Frankfurt Massaker
Hamburg Rams
Harburg-Sharks (Hamburg)
Hellhounds Hannover
Hornissen (?)
Kölner Maniaks (eradicated by the AGC LabRats in Ascension Match to get to Pro-League)
Kreuzberg Assassins
Kieler Black Knights
Leipzig-Halle Duellists (Duke of Saxony)
Mainzer Black Barons
Naniten Nürnberg
Nürnberg Neons
Ruhrmetall Leviathane
Schwarzwald Titanen (made up ENTIRELY of Trolls!)
Stuttgart Samurais (IFMU)
Weser Warriors

Schwarzwald Titanen (made up ENTIRELY of Trolls!)

must suck like hell having to play against THEM . .
last_of_the_great_mikeys
*Sigh* I cannot believe baseball would survive to the year 2070! Do people get dumber over the decades? Or do they just really like yet another excuse for beer? So, since I see no canon reference to baseball in the '70's, I must assume it does not exist and that Hockey has hopped to the top of the list of most popular sports! Yay hockey, go Canucks (though I imagine those nutty Salish have renamed the Vancouver team to something else)!
CanRay
Baseball survived by becoming a "Fantasy Baseball" Sport.

The Players are equipped with Skillwires that stat them out from Players throughout the ages. So you can have the greats of baseball from 1990s play against/with the greats from the 1930s.

The players themselves, as they tire and get hurt, add a level of randomness to it, as well as "Legacy Players", those are kept secret, and are players that only had a few years in the big leagues.

So it's a game for the Stats Lovers, which a good deal of Sports Fans are. This is usually what I point out to Jocks that make fun of us Gamers and our love of numbers and randomness.

Oh... And GO SEADOGS!!!
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Any hockey player would beat the crap out of the best baseball players in a fight!
CanRay
No denying that.

"I went to a Boxing match, and Hockey broke out!" is an old joke.
Fortune
While I love Hockey more than any other sport, I would have to disagree with that statement. There are some Baseball power hitters that would thrash most Hockey players easily. biggrin.gif
CanRay
Yeah, but it would take the Power Hitters to match your typical Hockey Player.
Fortune
Don't know about that nowadays, what with all the rules about no touching and all that crap. Hockey is rapidly sliding into the realm of Soccer, with dives all over the place and penalties for giving another player a mean look. Bring back the man's sport!
Hatspur
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 5 2008, 05:41 PM) *
Don't know about that nowadays, what with all the rules about no touching and all that crap. Hockey is rapidly sliding into the realm of Soccer, with dives all over the place and penalties for giving another player a mean look. Bring back the man's sport!

DO NOT insult the beautiful game. I love Hockey for Hockey and I love footy for footy. Just because Chelski and other whores like Ronaldo enjoy diving does not mean its going down the tubes.

My characters almost always go to Sounders FC games. I'm even doing a run that involves the Yokohama Reds this weekend.
Snow_Fox
So speaks the forum dentist.

The reference to playing older players is refered to only in a short story. For cannon, regular baseball is gonig strong as it was listed in Shadowbeat.

I coudl see the indians not wnating to keep 'white man's' games but I'm surprised there are not NAN combat biker teams and a revival of lacrosse, whioch was traditionally an indian war game-and now has been overrun by white college frat boys
CanRay
And Canada's traditional Game before Hockey was.
Fortune
QUOTE (Hatspur @ May 6 2008, 10:56 AM) *
DO NOT insult the beautiful game.

I absolutely love Hockey. It's a great game. But it used to be better before all the stupid rule and schedule changes.
Snow_Fox
yeah, guys with teeth are WAY overrated
Fortune
Bah! Teeth are for wimps! biggrin.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 5 2008, 06:05 PM) *
And Canada's traditional Game before Hockey was.

Lacrosse
CanRay
Yeah, I know. I was replying to the poster above about Lacross. nyahnyah.gif
Cantankerous
I grew up in the Deep South. I didn't even know what Hockey was until I saw "Slapshot" .... and fell in deeply love. Gods it was like Football...on blades....with weapons!!!!
CanRay
On ice... With boards to check people into!
DocTaotsu
I like futbol, it's more fun to watch than football. I also spent many of my formative years working under the heavy hand of Armenians and alongside Mexicans so I was pretty much forced to enjoy it... or else.

I still think baseball will be going strong, if Japanacorps rule the world than baseball is still big because Japanese take their baseball very seriously. Not like South/Central American futbol intense but still. I work with Japanese fire fighters and the amount of excitement surrounding the highschool baseball playoffs was on par to what I'd expect for the Final Four back in the states.
It helped that Okinawa kicked everyones' teeth in.

Go Naha <Indechiperable Kanji>!

Favorite Desert War teams:
-UCAS Navy VFA-41 "The Black Aces" For the Air to Air division. Sure they might get smoked by the CAS airforce every year but jeez... it's not like there won't always be Cubs fans.
-UCAS Navy HM-14 "Vanguard" For the Heavy T-Bird Division.
-Renraku VC-214 "Patient Stalkers" For the Medium Unrestricted-Drone Squadron Division. They might be a bunch of meta hating pricks and they might be investigated for AI regulation violations every year but they make a mighty fine drone wing. I'm a sucker for good tech like that.

I hear they're going to double the number of combined arms next year. Maybe this'll revive the Close Air Support division I used to watch back in the 50's. Eh... I'm not holding my breath though.

What! I'm a fan of the Air Division so sue me! Not everyone wants full simsense off some guy who's been humping a 200 pound pack unassisted for 4 days. Give me full immersion, multi-POV air-to-air feeds any day. I also hear CrashCart might be hosting a demo team this year, they want to start a medic division to "Improve Tactical Combat Care" but everyone knows it's really so they can show DocWagon up. Not sure if that's going to have much widespread appeal though...
Wesley Street
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it states in the Sprawl Survival Guide that baseball, soccer, American football, rugby, auto racing, etc. all survive in 2070. I'm sure hockey is still there too. It's not like all that stuff is going to disappear in a few decades time. However, if I'm remembering correctly, there are different rules regarding the use of cyberware and magic.

I would imagine NASCAR involves a rigger sitting in a modified Mercury Comet thinking his way through the turns. There would probably be publicly televised drafts to get the best physical adepts on your hometown basketball, football or baseball team. Only so much cyber/bioware or magical ability would be permitted before the player got bumped to a different "weight class". Wouldn't be surprised if there were some kind of minority Ork & Troll Leagues teams. That would make for an interesting Ken Burns documentary.

The future's going to be just like today... only with different cars and haircuts. And pointy ears and horns. wink.gif
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ May 5 2008, 07:42 PM) *
*Sigh* I cannot believe baseball would survive to the year 2070! Do people get dumber over the decades? Or do they just really like yet another excuse for beer? So, since I see no canon reference to baseball in the '70's, I must assume it does not exist and that Hockey has hopped to the top of the list of most popular sports! Yay hockey, go Canucks (though I imagine those nutty Salish have renamed the Vancouver team to something else)!

No reference? Yankee Pitcher and Louisville Slugger cyberarms (Augmentation pg 45).

And all this chatter on this thread makes me say, "See, we do too need a new/updated Shadowbeat! biggrin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ May 6 2008, 12:04 PM) *
I would imagine NASCAR involves a rigger sitting in a modified Mercury Comet thinking his way through the turns.

I remember reading SOMEWHERE that NASCAR demanded a total lack of cybernetics, for the same reason that they put Restricter Plates on cars to prevent them going too fast. And that F-1 Racing was a for the lovers of Engeneering in both Car and Driver.

In fact, I have that as a plot point in "A Night To Never Remember". Just wish I could remember where I read it now. dead.gif
Kyoto Kid
...so I wonder if the Green Bay Packers are still publicly owned & they still play outdoors there.

For some of my other "homer" teams, with the way things have been going recently, It would be more likely that the Milwaukee Brewers (finally getting the skinflint Selig Family out of the front office) would actually outlast the Bucks (a team in need of a special lottery for quality head coaches instead of players).

In the RL throws you a curve: Since Shadowbeat was released: The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee The Rams are in St. Louis, the Expos are in DC, The Grizzlies are in Memphis, The Hornets are in New Orleans, The Bobcats appeared, the Sonics will soon be in Oklahoma, and a woman driver won her first major race in open wheel competition (& damn near won the Indy 500).

As to Hockey, maybe it might see a resurgence (especially with highly violent sports like Combat Biker and Urban Brawl) but since the lockout, the NHL took a hit. I think matches are currently broadcast some backwater cable network after ABC/ESPN dropped the NHL from their schedules.
CanRay
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ May 6 2008, 12:35 PM) *
No reference? Yankee Pitcher and Louisville Slugger cyberarms (Augmentation pg 45).

And all this chatter on this thread makes me say, "See, we do too need a new/updated Shadowbeat! biggrin.gif

OK, I have to second that one! My group would love it, that's for sure!
ravensmuse
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 6 2008, 01:56 PM) *
I remember reading SOMEWHERE that NASCAR demanded a total lack of cybernetics, for the same reason that they put Restricter Plates on cars to prevent them going too fast. And that F-1 Racing was a for the lovers of Engeneering in both Car and Driver.

In fact, I have that as a plot point in "A Night To Never Remember". Just wish I could remember where I read it now. dead.gif

So it would be more boring than it already is?

C'mon. I'm a fan of NASCAR, have been since I was a little kid, and I'd still rather watch F1, Indy, CART, Dakar, rally racing...Hell, I'd take a Tour De Bicycling over NASCAR nowadays.

But man, imagine drag racing? mmmm.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 6 2008, 03:40 PM) *
In the RL throws you a curve: Since Shadowbeat was released: The Houston Oilers moved to Tennessee The Rams are in St. Louis, the Expos are in DC, The Grizzlies are in Memphis, The Hornets are in New Orleans, The Bobcats appeared, the Sonics will soon be in Oklahoma, and a woman driver won her first major race in open wheel competition (& damn near won the Indy 500).

Don't forget that the bball team in DC is now the Bullets once again wink.gif I've said it before, and I'll say it again: A group of uppity hermetics became offended by the team name and had it changed back to Bullets. Go 'Skins!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012