Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sports teams...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
CanRay
Which won't count for jack when it comes to the picture on the Soyies box. nyahnyah.gif

Well, the elf part will, but with the Orxploitation bit, Trolls and Orks are sexier now. wink.gif
DocTaotsu
See... it's not about how they look on the box. It's about who they vamp to get on that box smile.gif
CanRay
Until sales suffer, yeah. Agree 100%! nyahnyah.gif
DocTaotsu
Pfft! Whatever man, everyone knows that every warm blooded meta wants to pork is an Japanese, Catholic schoolgirl, elf...

Lesbian.

Jeez... Sometimes CanRay. It's like you just don't have the touch for this marketing thing. biggrin.gif
CanRay
I worked IT.

I've had to FIX marketings screwups too many times...

Anyhow, lesbian elves don't have the pull they used to. I mean, Same-Sex Marriage has been legal in the UCAS since its inception. One of the holdovers of the Canadian Laws that was accepted.
DocTaotsu
Yeah I guess you're right. I just don't know if the marketplace is ready to embrace Suicide Ork Girls. I mean, I'm all for it... but is the UCAS ready for it?

Plus we have to look at the worldwide demographics. Elves play well with countries, even those that are normally pretty shitty when it comes to accepting metas. Not everyone has enlightened same sex rules so lesbians are still dirty and therefore imminently marketable.

I guess we'll just have to find something else that's taboo and makes people uncomfortable...

OOoo! Technomancers! Get me a line to that fixer we work with... Money bags or whatever the fuck his name is. I want some hot TM on AI action for our next spread.

Omae, this is gonna make us rich!!! I can feel it!
CanRay
Here and Here.

Proof that there's some marketability for almost anything!

But, yeah, TM on AI Cybersex would make a good spread for the Hacker-Interest Groups!
DocTaotsu
Especially if we can snag some simsense feeds from the interaction.... Never any harm from some covert BTL advertising right?
Daddy's Little Ninja
So why do cheerleaders only get the draw? What about other female atheletes? Why aren't they objectified? Beach volley ball , swimmers, gymnasts and ski'ers all wear revealing or shape showing outfits. (The less said about the orks palying volleyball and softball the batter.)

With Karma paying off, hocus' daughter will be a cheerleader drawing in all the boys who are like her daddy.

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ May 14 2008, 07:38 PM) *
and I'm sure there will be bioware to make them all disgustingly perky.

For those who don't know, DLN is one of those women like Rachel Ray and Felicity Kendal, who seem preternaturally perky. I've asked her husband to check for a caffine drip into her veins but he claims there's none.
Kicks SF in the shins. Some of us are just naturally happy people instead of bitter twisted caffine addicts.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Which brings us to VR...could these games count as sport for technomancers? You could have players from anywhere be on the same team, making a true global league.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ May 15 2008, 08:50 AM) *
(The less said about the orks playing volleyball and softball the batter.)

I can't believe you just said that you...you...racist! ork.gif I swear, short people are all alike... nyahnyah.gif
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ May 15 2008, 11:50 AM) *
So why do cheerleaders only get the draw? What about other female atheletes? Why aren't they objectified? Beach volley ball , swimmers, gymnasts and ski'ers all wear revealing or shape showing outfits. (The less said about the orks palying volleyball and softball the batter.)

Some people still have a 1950s "Animal House" mindset. Even when they were born in 1970.

Which makes me wonder why women's athletic events traditionally have such poor attendance. They combine the hetero male's two favorite things: boobs and sports. Fellas, you want to get your rocks off? Hit a women's tennis tournament in the summer. Or go the ballet. Skin-tight outfits. Jumping around. Awesome bodies. Hooray for culture!
CanRay
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ May 15 2008, 12:03 PM) *
Some people still have a 1950s "Animal House" mindset. Even when they were born in 1970.

Or 1980, or 1990.

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ May 15 2008, 12:03 PM) *
Or go the ballet. Skin-tight outfits. Jumping around. Awesome bodies. Hooray for culture!

It's the male Ballet Dancers, makes most men feel inferior, them not realizing that it's a protective cup, and that all male ballet dancers AREN'T that well equipped. nyahnyah.gif

That, and not enough explosions go on in Ballet.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 15 2008, 12:12 PM) *

Jesus, what kind of sports you play up there in Canadaland? Maybe curling isn't as boring as I thought!
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 15 2008, 01:12 PM) *

Yeah, but who's fault is that? Make it happen, CanRay!
CanRay
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ May 15 2008, 12:14 PM) *
Jesus, what kind of sports you play up there in Canadaland? Maybe curling isn't as boring as I thought!

I could tell you, but then you'd have to partake.

And, well, I doubt you'd survive.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Nitro-Curling.
Stahlseele
curling . . basically scrubbing the floor made a sport O.o
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 15 2008, 12:49 PM) *
curling . . basically scrubbing the floor made a sport O.o

Which is why it's Full-Contact Curling in Shadowrun, with Broom-Spears!

The Troll League uses 50 kilo stones! If they're thrown too hard, the rocks end up in the parking lot!
Stahlseele
you know, that post up there was menat to distract me from saying that it's the perfect womens sport, because they practice at home every day . . now i have the image of some trolls viciously scrubbing (through) the floor of their homes o.O
Hocus Pocus
my daughter a cheerleader? me thinks no. Of course she is preciously beautiful, but since she has alot of her mother in her I don't think she'd be interested in that. She is gonna be a doctor or nuclear physicist, and quite rich, so she'll take care of me in my old age.

ANYWHO

ya'll suggesting cheerleaders take part in some sort of contact sport? hmmm intriguing...
Stahlseele
mud wrestling for example *g*
Kyoto Kid
...Jell-O Wrestling
CircuitBoyBlue
Before anyone gets any crazy objectification fantasies, remember: we've been talking about these cheerleaders getting wired reflexes or MBW, and possibly muscle implants. They'll be able to kick all of our asses. If any of us nerds were able to actually talk to a girl, and we used Edge or something to work something out with a 2070 cheerleader, something tells me we'd be the ones wearing skimpy clothing and debasing ourselves in the bedroom for the pleasure of someone who didn't respect us.
Snow_Fox
So why do cheerleaders only get the draw? What about other female atheletes? Why aren't they objectified? Beach volley ball , swimmers, gymnasts and ski'ers all wear revealing or shape showing outfits. (The less said about the orks playing volleyball and softball the better.)

You are toast!
CanRay
(The less said about the orks palying volleyball and softball the batter.)

Hey now, "Our Orks Are Cute!" nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
Her jab is that she knows I played volley ball and softball in HS and college. Real sports while she was hopping around in a short skirt.
Stahlseele
i say more womens-sports should be done in either short skirts or tight shorts *g*
Wesley Street
Aren't all indoor or field sports played in shorts or tights? Those played by men included. Except base/softball I suppose.
Snow_Fox
softball is in long, bulky shorts, not 'sexcy' short ones. and there is a reupation of girls in those sports.
DocTaotsu
Tennis garnered certain reputations as well. That might have just been my school though.
Kyoto Kid
...so did skating a few years back. grinbig.gif

...and to think I used to work at the rink where Tonya practised.
CanRay
The great Bloodsports of Shadowrun have got me thinking again...

What do you think has happened, now that deadly sports been legitimized, to illegal pit fighting and the like?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 17 2008, 05:10 AM) *
The great Bloodsports of Shadowrun have got me thinking again...

What do you think has happened, now that deadly sports been legitimized, to illegal pit fighting and the like?

*Guess* Still illegal. A: if the point is to kill then it's illegal. B: there's a disassotiation with team sports. People "identify" with heroes. When heroes die it's a tragedy and in one on one bloodsport that disassociation is gone. It crosses an intangible line, kinda making the killing personal.
DocTaotsu
Still illegal but the Last_Of_etc put up a good point. Nobody wants to follow a star players career for 3 years only to see him get ganked off a lucky shot.

Now having his arms ripped off and having him return the next season with a cybernetic jack hammer/laser, that's just good entertainment.

I suspect most lethal entertainment is either "Battle Royale" death fetish or closer to the Roman collesium where death was always on the table but not necessarily mandatory. I think the Urban Brawl description was pretty good in that outright double tapping an opponent was illegal but... hey, shit happens right?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (DocTaotsu)
Now having his arms ripped off and having him return the next season with a cybernetic jack hammer/laser, that's just good entertainment.

.... rotfl.gif

Doc, You ever see a programme called Maximum Exposure (basically "Stupid Human Tricks" to the X-treme)? Your line sounds like it comes straight out of the show. rotfl.gif
DocTaotsu
I may have... indeed watched such a program on an alleged channel such as the one referenced in the previous statement.

I blame my steady diet of untranslated Japanese television, including a segment of a gameshow/comedy routine whereby the two participants played out the very best bits of a hardboiled Hong Kong action flick. Highlights include driving a beat up car through a dirt field full of cleverly disguised pyrotechnics, a 50 meter low crawl followed by a simplified bomb defusal (Red or blue! red or blue! Red or blu- green?!), and finally a sequence in which they attempt to avoid an explosion by leaping away from it only to fall into a concealed bear trap.

Kyoto Kid
...comedy, now that sounds like my kind of reality TV.
DocTaotsu
I don't think the Japanese "get" reality television. I have yet to see a TV show that feature normal people, they seem to have this pool of uh... 2nd string personalities that they can call upon to staff their various shows.

It's actually kinda creepy.
Kyoto Kid
...all the more makes for perfect late night viewing after a night at the pub. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
i don't think japan gets REALITY AT ALL . .
Snow_Fox
Hey! I've seen an episode of what became MXC in it's original format-it's even weirder-they get it just fine.

As for blood psorts, you mean like cock fights and dogs? I think they would have a resergence in Aztlan, but not Quebec, UCAS or CSA. The idea of a real blood psort is there's a chance for skill to run. like gladiators.
We want to know the personalities, something you're going to get in Urban Brawl not a pair or roosters on their way to becoming tomorrow night's mcnuggets.
CanRay
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... McHugh's. biggrin.gif

True, "Dead Air", which details Combat Cycle nicely, even describes how the relationship between the competetors are major ratings bonanzas!
Fortune
IIRC, Dead Air has the unique distinction of being the only novel that the Shadowrun Powers-That-Be have declared to be totally non-canon.
CanRay
Really?

Darn... OK. So much for that. *Throws that idea out the window*
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 18 2008, 07:03 PM) *
IIRC, Dead Air has the unique distinction of being the only novel that the Shadowrun Powers-That-Be have declared to be totally non-canon.

Ummm...what about Shadow Boxer?

There was no need for Dead Air to be declared non-canon...since it was a freaking sim! They even oficially reference it in official products (I forget where).
Fortune
Then Shadowboxer it is. embarrassed.gif

The funny thing is that I was tossing up between the two novels the other day (in order to respond to one of FrankTrollman's comments concerning Shadowboxer), but when I went to check I couldn't find the actual reference, and then somehow arbitrarily decided I must be mistaken and deleted the comment. Oh well ... teach me to trust my original instincts. smile.gif
CanRay
Also shows how long it's been since I read the book. Yes, it is a Sim, thus Hollywood Sensationalism at it's finest!

Or... Is it? vegm.gif
Hocus Pocus
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ May 16 2008, 05:00 AM) *
Before anyone gets any crazy objectification fantasies, remember: we've been talking about these cheerleaders getting wired reflexes or MBW, and possibly muscle implants. They'll be able to kick all of our asses. If any of us nerds were able to actually talk to a girl, and we used Edge or something to work something out with a 2070 cheerleader, something tells me we'd be the ones wearing skimpy clothing and debasing ourselves in the bedroom for the pleasure of someone who didn't respect us.

you say that as if it's a bad thing! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds deliciously different. Explore your world

full body contact sport? how about this? coincidentally....that is how my dreams with two babes ends as well frown.gif.....it is to us below average slobs frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif oh how i wish, and wish, and wish for this IRL! please let this come to pass for me!!
Rajaat99
Seattle Screamers!
CanRay
So, how do you folks think the Mountain Dragons will do this year? nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012